QFTCI16 Game 5, Rounds 9-10: #9, challengely

Mark Brader

Aug 15, 2016, 12:30:44 AM8/15/16
These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2016-06-20,
and should be interpreted accordingly.

Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
the correct answers in about 3 days.

All questions were written by members of the Usual Suspects and
are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may
have been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information
see my 2016-05-31 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

I wrote one of these rounds and 3 questions in the other.

* Game 5, Round 9 - Sports - The #9 Round

We don't intend to ask you about late sports legends every week,
and in any case we hope our remaining athletic heroes stay in the
land of the living for a while to come. But the past two weeks
have been extraordinary. After a round on Muhammad Ali last week,
it seems pretty much obligatory that the #9 round of today's game
should be about Mr. Hockey.

1. Gordie Howe grew up in Saskatoon, but what was the small
Saskatchewan town where he was born?

2. What bonus was promised to Gordie Howe when he signed up with
the Detroit Red Wings? Apparently, a year later he had to
remind the team owner that he hadn't actually received it yet.

3. Howe's first game with Detroit was in 1946. In what year did
he retire from the NHL *for the first time*? You can answer
within one year in either direction.

4. From 1947 to 1952, Howe played right wing on a famous line
with two other star players, and in 1950 the three men even
finished 1-2-3 in league scoring. The personnel changed in the
ensuing years, but the line kept its nickname -- an apt one for
a Detroit team. Either tell us that nickname or name either
of the other two players on the original version of the line.

5. Two seasons after his first retirement, Gordie joined the Houston
Aeros of the new World Hockey Association, where he famously
played toegether with two of his sons. He later moved to
another WHA team, and found himself back in the NHL when the
WHA folded and this team joined his old league. Name that final
team -- either its WHA name or its name when it joined the NHL.
Full name required.

6. What hockey feat came to be known as a "Gordie Howe hat-trick",
even though Howe himself accomplished it only twice in his
career?

7. In <3 years before answer 3>, Bob Baun was traded to the Red
Wings and promptly chided Howe for taking such a low salary,
revealing that he was making twice that much. Howe then
demanded and got a raise (which incidentally gave him more
than Baun, who was himself no stranger to contract disputes).
What princely sum had Howe been earning per year prior to his
increase, within 10% of the true number in either direction?

8. What was the most goals that Howe scored in a single regular
season, within 3 in either direction? The season was 70 games
long at the time.

9. Gordie Howe's last professional hockey appearance came when
he was signed to a one-game contract by the Detroit Vipers
of the IHL, and played one or two shifts. Tell us either
the year this happened, or how old Gordie was at the time.
You can answer within 1 year in either direction.

10. Eventually Wayne Gretzky bested many of Gordie Howe's records,
but one of Mr. Hockey's marks that the Great One never reached
was total career games played. Including both regular season
and playoffs, both NHL and WHA, how many games did Howe play
altogether? You can answer within 10% of the true number in
either direction.

** Game 5, Round 10 - The Challengely Round

Your categories for this round are Dimly, Gimli, Primly, Cousinly,
Femininely, and... Genuinely?

* A. Science: Dimly

A1. Before modern lighting, there were candles. This word
derived from the same root as "candle" is an old term for
a maker or seller of candles. Name it.

A2. What light fixture, still used with electric lights, was
named in reference to the candles that used to be mounted
on it?

* B. Miscellaneous: Gimli

B1. In 1983 an Air Canada flight ran out of fuel and made an
emergency landing at Gimli, Manitoba. While there were
other issues, the direct cause of the problem was a
confusion between what two *units of measurement*?

B2. Another Gimli -- you knew this was coming -- is a character
in "The Lord of the Rings". *Either* name Gimli's *father*,
who was a character in "The Hobbit", *or else* tell us who
*played Gimli* in the "Lord of the Rings" movie trilogy.

* C. Literature: Primly

C1. In the early 19th century a "family" edition of Shakespeare's
plays was published -- where "family" means it was edited
to make the content suitable for women and children.
Name the editor who did this editing.

C2. Censorship is not limited to the arts. In 1996 residents
of the British town of Scunthorpe found that they could not
register accounts with AOL, that is, America Online. Why?

* D. History: Cousinly

D1. In Round 2 we asked about two US presidents who shared the
same surname. They were grandfather and grandson.
Another pair of US presidents who shared a surname were
fifth cousins. What was that surname?

D2. Please answer the previoux question before decoding
the rot13. Senaxyva Ebbfriryg unq nabgure snzbhf eryngvir,
jub jnf uvf svsgu pbhfva bapr erzbirq. Jub jnf gung?

* E. Entertainment: Femininely

These questions are about beauty pageants.

E1. Name the woman who won the Miss America pageant in 1983,
but was forced to resign her title following the publication
of nude photos.

E2. In 2012, why was it disputed whether Jenna Talackova
["talaskova"] was eligible to compete to be Miss Universe
Canada?

* F. Geography: Genuinely?

F1. In what Canadian city would you find a body of water called
False Creek?

F2. "Truth or Consequences" was a game show on radio and
television, but in 1950 it also became a place name in return
for an episode of the show being hosted in this small city.
To this day, in what US state will you find the city of
Truth or Consequences?

--
Mark Brader | "Once established, it has prospered and spread, even
Toronto | in the face of determined opposition from the
| system is a computing phenomenon whose full influence
| has not yet been experienced." -- John Lions, 1979

Joshua Kreitzer

Aug 15, 2016, 12:56:03 AM8/15/16
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:I5KdnaSU_Pfz2CzKnZ2dnUU7-
IPN...@giganews.com:

> * Game 5, Round 9 - Sports - The #9 Round
>
> 2. What bonus was promised to Gordie Howe when he signed up with
> the Detroit Red Wings? Apparently, a year later he had to
> remind the team owner that he hadn't actually received it yet.

$500

> 3. Howe's first game with Detroit was in 1946. In what year did
> he retire from the NHL *for the first time*? You can answer
> within one year in either direction.

1971

> 6. What hockey feat came to be known as a "Gordie Howe hat-trick",
> even though Howe himself accomplished it only twice in his
> career?

a goal, an assist, and a fight in the same game

> 7. In <3 years before answer 3>, Bob Baun was traded to the Red
> Wings and promptly chided Howe for taking such a low salary,
> revealing that he was making twice that much. Howe then
> demanded and got a raise (which incidentally gave him more
> than Baun, who was himself no stranger to contract disputes).
> What princely sum had Howe been earning per year prior to his
> increase, within 10% of the true number in either direction?

$20,000

> 8. What was the most goals that Howe scored in a single regular
> season, within 3 in either direction? The season was 70 games
> long at the time.

50; 57

> 9. Gordie Howe's last professional hockey appearance came when
> he was signed to a one-game contract by the Detroit Vipers
> of the IHL, and played one or two shifts. Tell us either
> the year this happened, or how old Gordie was at the time.
> You can answer within 1 year in either direction.

1990

> 10. Eventually Wayne Gretzky bested many of Gordie Howe's records,
> but one of Mr. Hockey's marks that the Great One never reached
> was total career games played. Including both regular season
> and playoffs, both NHL and WHA, how many games did Howe play
> altogether? You can answer within 10% of the true number in
> either direction.

1,800

> ** Game 5, Round 10 - The Challengely Round
>
> Your categories for this round are Dimly, Gimli, Primly, Cousinly,
> Femininely, and... Genuinely?
>
> * A. Science: Dimly
>
> A1. Before modern lighting, there were candles. This word
> derived from the same root as "candle" is an old term for
> a maker or seller of candles. Name it.

chandler

> A2. What light fixture, still used with electric lights, was
> named in reference to the candles that used to be mounted
> on it?

candelabra

> * B. Miscellaneous: Gimli
>
> B1. In 1983 an Air Canada flight ran out of fuel and made an
> emergency landing at Gimli, Manitoba. While there were
> other issues, the direct cause of the problem was a
> confusion between what two *units of measurement*?

pounds and kilograms

> B2. Another Gimli -- you knew this was coming -- is a character
> in "The Lord of the Rings". *Either* name Gimli's *father*,
> who was a character in "The Hobbit", *or else* tell us who
> *played Gimli* in the "Lord of the Rings" movie trilogy.

John Rhys-Davies

> * C. Literature: Primly
>
> C1. In the early 19th century a "family" edition of Shakespeare's
> plays was published -- where "family" means it was edited
> to make the content suitable for women and children.
> Name the editor who did this editing.

Bowdler

> C2. Censorship is not limited to the arts. In 1996 residents
> of the British town of Scunthorpe found that they could not
> register accounts with AOL, that is, America Online. Why?

the second through fifth letters of the town's name were noted to be
offensive terminology

> * D. History: Cousinly
>
> D1. In Round 2 we asked about two US presidents who shared the
> same surname. They were grandfather and grandson.
> Another pair of US presidents who shared a surname were
> fifth cousins. What was that surname?

Roosevelt

> D2. Please answer the previoux question before decoding
> the rot13. Senaxyva Ebbfriryg unq nabgure snzbhf eryngvir,
> jub jnf uvf svsgu pbhfva bapr erzbirq. Jub jnf gung?

Eleanor Roosevelt

> * E. Entertainment: Femininely
>
> These questions are about beauty pageants.
>
> E1. Name the woman who won the Miss America pageant in 1983,
> but was forced to resign her title following the publication
> of nude photos.

Vanessa Williams

> E2. In 2012, why was it disputed whether Jenna Talackova
> ["talaskova"] was eligible to compete to be Miss Universe
> Canada?

she was a transgender person (?)

> * F. Geography: Genuinely?
>
> F2. "Truth or Consequences" was a game show on radio and
> television, but in 1950 it also became a place name in return
> for an episode of the show being hosted in this small city.
> To this day, in what US state will you find the city of
> Truth or Consequences?

New Mexico

--
Joshua Kreitzer
grom...@hotmail.com

Dan Blum

Aug 15, 2016, 9:54:28 AM8/15/16
Mark Brader <m...@vex.net> wrote:

> * Game 5, Round 9 - Sports - The #9 Round

> 1. Gordie Howe grew up in Saskatoon, but what was the small
> Saskatchewan town where he was born?

Moose Jaw

> 3. Howe's first game with Detroit was in 1946. In what year did
> he retire from the NHL *for the first time*? You can answer
> within one year in either direction.

1960; 1963

> 7. In <3 years before answer 3>, Bob Baun was traded to the Red
> Wings and promptly chided Howe for taking such a low salary,
> revealing that he was making twice that much. Howe then
> demanded and got a raise (which incidentally gave him more
> than Baun, who was himself no stranger to contract disputes).
> What princely sum had Howe been earning per year prior to his
> increase, within 10% of the true number in either direction?

$5,000; $10,000

> 8. What was the most goals that Howe scored in a single regular
> season, within 3 in either direction? The season was 70 games
> long at the time.

50; 57

> 9. Gordie Howe's last professional hockey appearance came when
> he was signed to a one-game contract by the Detroit Vipers
> of the IHL, and played one or two shifts. Tell us either
> the year this happened, or how old Gordie was at the time.
> You can answer within 1 year in either direction.

1969; 1972

> 10. Eventually Wayne Gretzky bested many of Gordie Howe's records,
> but one of Mr. Hockey's marks that the Great One never reached
> was total career games played. Including both regular season
> and playoffs, both NHL and WHA, how many games did Howe play
> altogether? You can answer within 10% of the true number in
> either direction.

1500

> ** Game 5, Round 10 - The Challengely Round

> * A. Science: Dimly

> A1. Before modern lighting, there were candles. This word
> derived from the same root as "candle" is an old term for
> a maker or seller of candles. Name it.

chandler

> A2. What light fixture, still used with electric lights, was
> named in reference to the candles that used to be mounted
> on it?

chandelier

> * B. Miscellaneous: Gimli

> B1. In 1983 an Air Canada flight ran out of fuel and made an
> emergency landing at Gimli, Manitoba. While there were
> other issues, the direct cause of the problem was a
> confusion between what two *units of measurement*?

liters and gallons

> B2. Another Gimli -- you knew this was coming -- is a character
> in "The Lord of the Rings". *Either* name Gimli's *father*,
> who was a character in "The Hobbit", *or else* tell us who
> *played Gimli* in the "Lord of the Rings" movie trilogy.

Gloin

> * C. Literature: Primly

> C1. In the early 19th century a "family" edition of Shakespeare's
> plays was published -- where "family" means it was edited
> to make the content suitable for women and children.
> Name the editor who did this editing.

Bowdler

> C2. Censorship is not limited to the arts. In 1996 residents
> of the British town of Scunthorpe found that they could not
> register accounts with AOL, that is, America Online. Why?

because AOL's dirty-word detector didn't check for word boundaries
and "Scunthorpe" has "cunt" in it

> * D. History: Cousinly

> D1. In Round 2 we asked about two US presidents who shared the
> same surname. They were grandfather and grandson.
> Another pair of US presidents who shared a surname were
> fifth cousins. What was that surname?

Roosevelt

> D2. Please answer the previoux question before decoding
> the rot13. Senaxyva Ebbfriryg unq nabgure snzbhf eryngvir,
> jub jnf uvf svsgu pbhfva bapr erzbirq. Jub jnf gung?

Eleanor Roosevelt

> * E. Entertainment: Femininely

> E1. Name the woman who won the Miss America pageant in 1983,
> but was forced to resign her title following the publication
> of nude photos.

Vanessa Williams

> E2. In 2012, why was it disputed whether Jenna Talackova
> ["talaskova"] was eligible to compete to be Miss Universe
> Canada?

she is transgender

> * F. Geography: Genuinely?

> F1. In what Canadian city would you find a body of water called
> False Creek?

Halifax; Vancouver

> F2. "Truth or Consequences" was a game show on radio and
> television, but in 1950 it also became a place name in return
> for an episode of the show being hosted in this small city.
> To this day, in what US state will you find the city of
> Truth or Consequences?

New Mexico

Dan Blum to...@panix.com

Pete

Aug 15, 2016, 11:21:49 AM8/15/16
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:I5KdnaSU_Pfz2CzKnZ2dnUU7-
IPN...@giganews.com:

$1000

> 3. Howe's first game with Detroit was in 1946. In what year did
> he retire from the NHL *for the first time*? You can answer
> within one year in either direction.

1970; 1973

> 4. From 1947 to 1952, Howe played right wing on a famous line
> with two other star players, and in 1950 the three men even
> finished 1-2-3 in league scoring. The personnel changed in the
> ensuing years, but the line kept its nickname -- an apt one for
> a Detroit team. Either tell us that nickname or name either
> of the other two players on the original version of the line.

Production Line

> 5. Two seasons after his first retirement, Gordie joined the Houston
> Aeros of the new World Hockey Association, where he famously
> played toegether with two of his sons. He later moved to
> another WHA team, and found himself back in the NHL when the
> WHA folded and this team joined his old league. Name that final
> team -- either its WHA name or its name when it joined the NHL.
> Full name required.

Hartford Whalers

> 6. What hockey feat came to be known as a "Gordie Howe hat-trick",
> even though Howe himself accomplished it only twice in his
> career?

Goal, assist and fight

> 7. In <3 years before answer 3>, Bob Baun was traded to the Red
> Wings and promptly chided Howe for taking such a low salary,
> revealing that he was making twice that much. Howe then
> demanded and got a raise (which incidentally gave him more
> than Baun, who was himself no stranger to contract disputes).
> What princely sum had Howe been earning per year prior to his
> increase, within 10% of the true number in either direction?

$50,000

> 8. What was the most goals that Howe scored in a single regular
> season, within 3 in either direction? The season was 70 games
> long at the time.

44

> 9. Gordie Howe's last professional hockey appearance came when
> he was signed to a one-game contract by the Detroit Vipers
> of the IHL, and played one or two shifts. Tell us either
> the year this happened, or how old Gordie was at the time.
> You can answer within 1 year in either direction.

1986

> 10. Eventually Wayne Gretzky bested many of Gordie Howe's records,
> but one of Mr. Hockey's marks that the Great One never reached
> was total career games played. Including both regular season
> and playoffs, both NHL and WHA, how many games did Howe play
> altogether? You can answer within 10% of the true number in
> either direction.

2000

> ** Game 5, Round 10 - The Challengely Round
>
> Your categories for this round are Dimly, Gimli, Primly, Cousinly,
> Femininely, and... Genuinely?
>
> * A. Science: Dimly
>
> A1. Before modern lighting, there were candles. This word
> derived from the same root as "candle" is an old term for
> a maker or seller of candles. Name it.
>
> A2. What light fixture, still used with electric lights, was
> named in reference to the candles that used to be mounted
> on it?

Candelabra

> * B. Miscellaneous: Gimli
>
> B1. In 1983 an Air Canada flight ran out of fuel and made an
> emergency landing at Gimli, Manitoba. While there were
> other issues, the direct cause of the problem was a
> confusion between what two *units of measurement*?

Gallon and liter

> B2. Another Gimli -- you knew this was coming -- is a character
> in "The Lord of the Rings". *Either* name Gimli's *father*,
> who was a character in "The Hobbit", *or else* tell us who
> *played Gimli* in the "Lord of the Rings" movie trilogy.

Jones

> * C. Literature: Primly
>
> C1. In the early 19th century a "family" edition of Shakespeare's
> plays was published -- where "family" means it was edited
> to make the content suitable for women and children.
> Name the editor who did this editing.
>
> C2. Censorship is not limited to the arts. In 1996 residents
> of the British town of Scunthorpe found that they could not
> register accounts with AOL, that is, America Online. Why?
>

> * D. History: Cousinly
>
> D1. In Round 2 we asked about two US presidents who shared the
> same surname. They were grandfather and grandson.
> Another pair of US presidents who shared a surname were
> fifth cousins. What was that surname?

Roosevelt

> D2. Please answer the previoux question before decoding
> the rot13. Senaxyva Ebbfriryg unq nabgure snzbhf eryngvir,
> jub jnf uvf svsgu pbhfva bapr erzbirq. Jub jnf gung?

Eleanor Roosevelt

> * E. Entertainment: Femininely
>
> These questions are about beauty pageants.
>
> E1. Name the woman who won the Miss America pageant in 1983,
> but was forced to resign her title following the publication
> of nude photos.

Williams

> E2. In 2012, why was it disputed whether Jenna Talackova
> ["talaskova"] was eligible to compete to be Miss Universe
> Canada?
>

> * F. Geography: Genuinely?
>
> F1. In what Canadian city would you find a body of water called
> False Creek?
>
> F2. "Truth or Consequences" was a game show on radio and
> television, but in 1950 it also became a place name in return
> for an episode of the show being hosted in this small city.
> To this day, in what US state will you find the city of
> Truth or Consequences?

New Mexico

Pete Gayde

Peter Smyth

Aug 15, 2016, 1:41:49 PM8/15/16
A car
> 3. Howe's first game with Detroit was in 1946. In what year did
> he retire from the NHL *for the first time*? You can answer
> within one year in either direction.
1965
> 4. From 1947 to 1952, Howe played right wing on a famous line
> with two other star players, and in 1950 the three men even
> finished 1-2-3 in league scoring. The personnel changed in the
> ensuing years, but the line kept its nickname -- an apt one for
> a Detroit team. Either tell us that nickname or name either
> of the other two players on the original version of the line.
>
> 5. Two seasons after his first retirement, Gordie joined the Houston
> Aeros of the new World Hockey Association, where he famously
> played toegether with two of his sons. He later moved to
> another WHA team, and found himself back in the NHL when the
> WHA folded and this team joined his old league. Name that final
> team -- either its WHA name or its name when it joined the NHL.
> Full name required.
>
> 6. What hockey feat came to be known as a "Gordie Howe hat-trick",
> even though Howe himself accomplished it only twice in his
> career?
Goal, Assist and Fight in same game
> 7. In <3 years before answer 3>, Bob Baun was traded to the Red
> Wings and promptly chided Howe for taking such a low salary,
> revealing that he was making twice that much. Howe then
> demanded and got a raise (which incidentally gave him more
> than Baun, who was himself no stranger to contract disputes).
> What princely sum had Howe been earning per year prior to his
> increase, within 10% of the true number in either direction?
$10000
> 8. What was the most goals that Howe scored in a single regular
> season, within 3 in either direction? The season was 70 games
> long at the time.
122
> 9. Gordie Howe's last professional hockey appearance came when
> he was signed to a one-game contract by the Detroit Vipers
> of the IHL, and played one or two shifts. Tell us either
> the year this happened, or how old Gordie was at the time.
> You can answer within 1 year in either direction.
52
> 10. Eventually Wayne Gretzky bested many of Gordie Howe's records,
> but one of Mr. Hockey's marks that the Great One never reached
> was total career games played. Including both regular season
> and playoffs, both NHL and WHA, how many games did Howe play
> altogether? You can answer within 10% of the true number in
> either direction.
1468

> ** Game 5, Round 10 - The Challengely Round
>
> Your categories for this round are Dimly, Gimli, Primly, Cousinly,
> Femininely, and... Genuinely?
>
> * A. Science: Dimly
>
> A1. Before modern lighting, there were candles. This word
> derived from the same root as "candle" is an old term for
> a maker or seller of candles. Name it.
Chandler
> A2. What light fixture, still used with electric lights, was
> named in reference to the candles that used to be mounted
> on it?
Candelabra

> * B. Miscellaneous: Gimli
>
> B1. In 1983 an Air Canada flight ran out of fuel and made an
> emergency landing at Gimli, Manitoba. While there were
> other issues, the direct cause of the problem was a
> confusion between what two *units of measurement*?
Litres and Gallons
> B2. Another Gimli -- you knew this was coming -- is a character
> in "The Lord of the Rings". Either name Gimli's father,
> who was a character in "The Hobbit", *or else* tell us who
> *played Gimli* in the "Lord of the Rings" movie trilogy.
Oin, Gloin

> * C. Literature: Primly
>
> C1. In the early 19th century a "family" edition of Shakespeare's
> plays was published -- where "family" means it was edited
> to make the content suitable for women and children.
> Name the editor who did this editing.
Mary Lamb
> C2. Censorship is not limited to the arts. In 1996 residents
> of the British town of Scunthorpe found that they could not
> register accounts with AOL, that is, America Online. Why?
It was blocked by the profanity filter

> * D. History: Cousinly
>
> D1. In Round 2 we asked about two US presidents who shared the
> same surname. They were grandfather and grandson.
> Another pair of US presidents who shared a surname were
> fifth cousins. What was that surname?
Roosevelt
> D2. Please answer the previoux question before decoding
> the rot13. Franklin Roosevelt had another famous relative,
> who was his fifth cousin once removed. Who was that?
Eleanor Roosevelt

> * E. Entertainment: Femininely
>
> These questions are about beauty pageants.
>
> E1. Name the woman who won the Miss America pageant in 1983,
> but was forced to resign her title following the publication
> of nude photos.
>
> E2. In 2012, why was it disputed whether Jenna Talackova
> ["talaskova"] was eligible to compete to be Miss Universe
> Canada?
She was born a man

> * F. Geography: Genuinely?
>
> F1. In what Canadian city would you find a body of water called
> False Creek?
>
> F2. "Truth or Consequences" was a game show on radio and
> television, but in 1950 it also became a place name in return
> for an episode of the show being hosted in this small city.
> To this day, in what US state will you find the city of
> Truth or Consequences?
New Mexico

Peter Smyth

björn lundin

Aug 15, 2016, 6:07:34 PM8/15/16
Den måndag 15 augusti 2016 kl. 06:30:44 UTC+2 skrev Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2016-06-20,
> and should be interpreted accordingly.
>

> ** Game 5, Round 10 - The Challengely Round
>
> Your categories for this round are Dimly, Gimli, Primly, Cousinly,
> Femininely, and... Genuinely?
>
> * A. Science: Dimly
>
> A1. Before modern lighting, there were candles. This word
> derived from the same root as "candle" is an old term for
> a maker or seller of candles. Name it.

candeler

> * B. Miscellaneous: Gimli
>
> B1. In 1983 an Air Canada flight ran out of fuel and made an
> emergency landing at Gimli, Manitoba. While there were
> other issues, the direct cause of the problem was a
> confusion between what two *units of measurement*?

They made a film about his one. Interesting.
They mixed up kilograms and pounds

fueled up x pounds of fuel, when they really wanted x kg of fuel.

> B2. Another Gimli -- you knew this was coming -- is a character
> in "The Lord of the Rings". *Either* name Gimli's *father*,
> who was a character in "The Hobbit", *or else* tell us who
> *played Gimli* in the "Lord of the Rings" movie trilogy.

John Rhyes-Davies. I saw him this spring at a sci-fi fair in Malmö.
He was there as a general attraktion - together with Samantha Fox.

> * D. History: Cousinly
>
> D1. In Round 2 we asked about two US presidents who shared the
> same surname. They were grandfather and grandson.
> Another pair of US presidents who shared a surname were
> fifth cousins. What was that surname?

Roosevelt ?

> * E. Entertainment: Femininely
>
> These questions are about beauty pageants.
>

> E2. In 2012, why was it disputed whether Jenna Talackova
> ["talaskova"] was eligible to compete to be Miss Universe
> Canada?

She was not Canadian; She was a he.

--
Björn Lundin

Calvin

Aug 15, 2016, 9:16:20 PM8/15/16
On Monday, August 15, 2016 at 2:30:44 PM UTC+10, Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 5, Round 9 - Sports - The #9 Round

Pass

> ** Game 5, Round 10 - The Challengely Round
>
> Your categories for this round are Dimly, Gimli, Primly, Cousinly,
> Femininely, and... Genuinely?
>
> * A. Science: Dimly
>
> A1. Before modern lighting, there were candles. This word
> derived from the same root as "candle" is an old term for
> a maker or seller of candles. Name it.

Chandler

> A2. What light fixture, still used with electric lights, was
> named in reference to the candles that used to be mounted
> on it?

Candelabra

> * B. Miscellaneous: Gimli
>
> B1. In 1983 an Air Canada flight ran out of fuel and made an
> emergency landing at Gimli, Manitoba. While there were
> other issues, the direct cause of the problem was a
> confusion between what two *units of measurement*?

Litres and gallons

> B2. Another Gimli -- you knew this was coming -- is a character
> in "The Lord of the Rings". *Either* name Gimli's *father*,
> who was a character in "The Hobbit", *or else* tell us who
> *played Gimli* in the "Lord of the Rings" movie trilogy.

Rhys-Davies

> * C. Literature: Primly
>
> C1. In the early 19th century a "family" edition of Shakespeare's
> plays was published -- where "family" means it was edited
> to make the content suitable for women and children.
> Name the editor who did this editing.
>
> C2. Censorship is not limited to the arts. In 1996 residents
> of the British town of Scunthorpe found that they could not
> register accounts with AOL, that is, America Online. Why?

The second to fifth letters form a rude word.

> * D. History: Cousinly
>
> D1. In Round 2 we asked about two US presidents who shared the
> same surname. They were grandfather and grandson.
> Another pair of US presidents who shared a surname were
> fifth cousins. What was that surname?

Roosevelt

> D2. Please answer the previoux question before decoding
> the rot13. Senaxyva Ebbfriryg unq nabgure snzbhf eryngvir,
> jub jnf uvf svsgu pbhfva bapr erzbirq. Jub jnf gung?

His wife

> * E. Entertainment: Femininely
>
> These questions are about beauty pageants.
>
> E1. Name the woman who won the Miss America pageant in 1983,
> but was forced to resign her title following the publication
> of nude photos.

Williams

> E2. In 2012, why was it disputed whether Jenna Talackova
> ["talaskova"] was eligible to compete to be Miss Universe
> Canada?

Was she once a he?

> * F. Geography: Genuinely?
>
> F1. In what Canadian city would you find a body of water called
> False Creek?

Winnipeg, Medicine Hat

> F2. "Truth or Consequences" was a game show on radio and
> television, but in 1950 it also became a place name in return
> for an episode of the show being hosted in this small city.
> To this day, in what US state will you find the city of
> Truth or Consequences?

Texas, California

cheers,
calvin

Erland Sommarskog

Aug 16, 2016, 3:25:52 PM8/16/16
Mark Brader (m...@vex.net) writes:
> * Game 5, Round 9 - Sports - The #9 Round
>
> 3. Howe's first game with Detroit was in 1946. In what year did
> he retire from the NHL *for the first time*? You can answer
> within one year in either direction.

1976

> 5. Two seasons after his first retirement, Gordie joined the Houston
> Aeros of the new World Hockey Association, where he famously
> played toegether with two of his sons. He later moved to
> another WHA team, and found himself back in the NHL when the
> WHA folded and this team joined his old league. Name that final
> team -- either its WHA name or its name when it joined the NHL.
> Full name required.

Hartford Whalers

> 6. What hockey feat came to be known as a "Gordie Howe hat-trick",
> even though Howe himself accomplished it only twice in his
> career?

Goal, fight and game penalty in the same game. (Drat, I'm sure about
the first two, but I had to make up the last.)

> 8. What was the most goals that Howe scored in a single regular
> season, within 3 in either direction? The season was 70 games
> long at the time.

95

> 9. Gordie Howe's last professional hockey appearance came when
> he was signed to a one-game contract by the Detroit Vipers
> of the IHL, and played one or two shifts. Tell us either
> the year this happened, or how old Gordie was at the time.
> You can answer within 1 year in either direction.

52

> 10. Eventually Wayne Gretzky bested many of Gordie Howe's records,
> but one of Mr. Hockey's marks that the Great One never reached
> was total career games played. Including both regular season
> and playoffs, both NHL and WHA, how many games did Howe play
> altogether? You can answer within 10% of the true number in
> either direction.

1752

> * A. Science: Dimly
>
> A2. What light fixture, still used with electric lights, was
> named in reference to the candles that used to be mounted
> on it?

Candelabres

> * B. Miscellaneous: Gimli
>
> B1. In 1983 an Air Canada flight ran out of fuel and made an
> emergency landing at Gimli, Manitoba. While there were
> other issues, the direct cause of the problem was a
> confusion between what two *units of measurement*?

Feet and metres

> C2. Censorship is not limited to the arts. In 1996 residents
> of the British town of Scunthorpe found that they could not
> register accounts with AOL, that is, America Online. Why?

Characters 2 to 5 looks like a possible blocker.

> * D. History: Cousinly
>
> D1. In Round 2 we asked about two US presidents who shared the
> same surname. They were grandfather and grandson.
> Another pair of US presidents who shared a surname were
> fifth cousins. What was that surname?

Roosevelt

> D2. Please answer the previoux question before decoding
> the rot13. Senaxyva Ebbfriryg unq nabgure snzbhf eryngvir,
> jub jnf uvf svsgu pbhfva bapr erzbirq. Jub jnf gung?
>

> E1. Name the woman who won the Miss America pageant in 1983,
> but was forced to resign her title following the publication
> of nude photos.

Well, that cannot have been Mrs Trump, because she is too young and born
in the wrong country to have been Miss America that year.

> F1. In what Canadian city would you find a body of water called
> False Creek?

Vancouver (So finally an answer I actually know!)

> F2. "Truth or Consequences" was a game show on radio and
> television, but in 1950 it also became a place name in return
> for an episode of the show being hosted in this small city.
> To this day, in what US state will you find the city of
> Truth or Consequences?

Idaho

Dan Tilque

Aug 16, 2016, 3:46:49 PM8/16/16
3 assists in one game ??

> 7. In <3 years before answer 3>, Bob Baun was traded to the Red
> Wings and promptly chided Howe for taking such a low salary,
> revealing that he was making twice that much. Howe then
> demanded and got a raise (which incidentally gave him more
> than Baun, who was himself no stranger to contract disputes).
> What princely sum had Howe been earning per year prior to his
> increase, within 10% of the true number in either direction?
>
> 8. What was the most goals that Howe scored in a single regular
> season, within 3 in either direction? The season was 70 games
> long at the time.
>
> 9. Gordie Howe's last professional hockey appearance came when
> he was signed to a one-game contract by the Detroit Vipers
> of the IHL, and played one or two shifts. Tell us either
> the year this happened, or how old Gordie was at the time.
> You can answer within 1 year in either direction.

60

> 10. Eventually Wayne Gretzky bested many of Gordie Howe's records,
> but one of Mr. Hockey's marks that the Great One never reached
> was total career games played. Including both regular season
> and playoffs, both NHL and WHA, how many games did Howe play
> altogether? You can answer within 10% of the true number in
> either direction.
>

> ** Game 5, Round 10 - The Challengely Round
>
> Your categories for this round are Dimly, Gimli, Primly, Cousinly,
> Femininely, and... Genuinely?
>
> * A. Science: Dimly
>
> A1. Before modern lighting, there were candles. This word
> derived from the same root as "candle" is an old term for
> a maker or seller of candles. Name it.

chandler

> A2. What light fixture, still used with electric lights, was
> named in reference to the candles that used to be mounted
> on it?

candelabra

> * B. Miscellaneous: Gimli
>
> B1. In 1983 an Air Canada flight ran out of fuel and made an
> emergency landing at Gimli, Manitoba. While there were
> other issues, the direct cause of the problem was a
> confusion between what two *units of measurement*?

gallon and liter

> B2. Another Gimli -- you knew this was coming -- is a character
> in "The Lord of the Rings". *Either* name Gimli's *father*,
> who was a character in "The Hobbit", *or else* tell us who
> *played Gimli* in the "Lord of the Rings" movie trilogy.

Gloin

> * C. Literature: Primly
>
> C1. In the early 19th century a "family" edition of Shakespeare's
> plays was published -- where "family" means it was edited
> to make the content suitable for women and children.
> Name the editor who did this editing.

Bowdler

> C2. Censorship is not limited to the arts. In 1996 residents
> of the British town of Scunthorpe found that they could not
> register accounts with AOL, that is, America Online. Why?

because a substring of the town name is a 4-letter word that was
rejected by AOL's nannyware filters

> * D. History: Cousinly
>
> D1. In Round 2 we asked about two US presidents who shared the
> same surname. They were grandfather and grandson.
> Another pair of US presidents who shared a surname were
> fifth cousins. What was that surname?

Roosevelt

> D2. Please answer the previoux question before decoding
> the rot13. Senaxyva Ebbfriryg unq nabgure snzbhf eryngvir,
> jub jnf uvf svsgu pbhfva bapr erzbirq. Jub jnf gung?

Eleanor Roosevelt

> * E. Entertainment: Femininely
>
> These questions are about beauty pageants.
>
> E1. Name the woman who won the Miss America pageant in 1983,
> but was forced to resign her title following the publication
> of nude photos.

Vanessa Williams

> E2. In 2012, why was it disputed whether Jenna Talackova
> ["talaskova"] was eligible to compete to be Miss Universe
> Canada?

she wasn't a full-time resident of Canada

> * F. Geography: Genuinely?
>
> F1. In what Canadian city would you find a body of water called
> False Creek?

Vancouver

> F2. "Truth or Consequences" was a game show on radio and
> television, but in 1950 it also became a place name in return
> for an episode of the show being hosted in this small city.
> To this day, in what US state will you find the city of
> Truth or Consequences?

New Mexico

--
Dan Tilque

swp

Aug 16, 2016, 9:50:21 PM8/16/16
On Monday, August 15, 2016 at 12:30:44 AM UTC-4, Mark Brader wrote:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2016-06-20,
> and should be interpreted accordingly.

yes way!

> I wrote one of these rounds and 3 questions in the other.

challenge accepted!

> * Game 5, Round 9 - Sports - The #9 Round
>
> We don't intend to ask you about late sports legends every week,
> and in any case we hope our remaining athletic heroes stay in the
> land of the living for a while to come. But the past two weeks
> have been extraordinary. After a round on Muhammad Ali last week,
> it seems pretty much obligatory that the #9 round of today's game
> should be about Mr. Hockey.
>
> 1. Gordie Howe grew up in Saskatoon, but what was the small
> Saskatchewan town where he was born?

floral, saskatchewan

> 2. What bonus was promised to Gordie Howe when he signed up with
> the Detroit Red Wings? Apparently, a year later he had to
> remind the team owner that he hadn't actually received it yet.

a team jacket

> 3. Howe's first game with Detroit was in 1946. In what year did
> he retire from the NHL *for the first time*? You can answer
> within one year in either direction.

1971

> 4. From 1947 to 1952, Howe played right wing on a famous line
> with two other star players, and in 1950 the three men even
> finished 1-2-3 in league scoring. The personnel changed in the
> ensuing years, but the line kept its nickname -- an apt one for
> a Detroit team. Either tell us that nickname or name either
> of the other two players on the original version of the line.

the production line

> 5. Two seasons after his first retirement, Gordie joined the Houston
> Aeros of the new World Hockey Association, where he famously
> played toegether with two of his sons. He later moved to
> another WHA team, and found himself back in the NHL when the
> WHA folded and this team joined his old league. Name that final
> team -- either its WHA name or its name when it joined the NHL.
> Full name required.

hartford whalers

> 6. What hockey feat came to be known as a "Gordie Howe hat-trick",
> even though Howe himself accomplished it only twice in his
> career?

a goal, an assist, and a fight all in the same game

> 7. In <3 years before answer 3>, Bob Baun was traded to the Red
> Wings and promptly chided Howe for taking such a low salary,
> revealing that he was making twice that much. Howe then
> demanded and got a raise (which incidentally gave him more
> than Baun, who was himself no stranger to contract disputes).
> What princely sum had Howe been earning per year prior to his
> increase, within 10% of the true number in either direction?

$45000 (he got a raise to $100000)

> 8. What was the most goals that Howe scored in a single regular
> season, within 3 in either direction? The season was 70 games
> long at the time.

49

> 9. Gordie Howe's last professional hockey appearance came when
> he was signed to a one-game contract by the Detroit Vipers
> of the IHL, and played one or two shifts. Tell us either
> the year this happened, or how old Gordie was at the time.
> You can answer within 1 year in either direction.

1997 ; 69 years old

> 10. Eventually Wayne Gretzky bested many of Gordie Howe's records,
> but one of Mr. Hockey's marks that the Great One never reached
> was total career games played. Including both regular season
> and playoffs, both NHL and WHA, how many games did Howe play
> altogether? You can answer within 10% of the true number in
> either direction.

2421 (it was in the article I read about his death, a truly astounding number)

> ** Game 5, Round 10 - The Challengely Round
>
> Your categories for this round are Dimly, Gimli, Primly, Cousinly,
> Femininely, and... Genuinely?
>
> * A. Science: Dimly
>
> A1. Before modern lighting, there were candles. This word
> derived from the same root as "candle" is an old term for
> a maker or seller of candles. Name it.

chandler

> A2. What light fixture, still used with electric lights, was
> named in reference to the candles that used to be mounted
> on it?

chandelier

> * B. Miscellaneous: Gimli
>
> B1. In 1983 an Air Canada flight ran out of fuel and made an
> emergency landing at Gimli, Manitoba. While there were
> other issues, the direct cause of the problem was a
> confusion between what two *units of measurement*?

pound & kilogram

> B2. Another Gimli -- you knew this was coming -- is a character
> in "The Lord of the Rings". *Either* name Gimli's *father*,
> who was a character in "The Hobbit", *or else* tell us who
> *played Gimli* in the "Lord of the Rings" movie trilogy.

glóin

> * C. Literature: Primly
>
> C1. In the early 19th century a "family" edition of Shakespeare's
> plays was published -- where "family" means it was edited
> to make the content suitable for women and children.
> Name the editor who did this editing.

bowdler

> C2. Censorship is not limited to the arts. In 1996 residents
> of the British town of Scunthorpe found that they could not
> register accounts with AOL, that is, America Online. Why?

because the overly zealous obscenity filter saw the substring "cunt" in the name and hence was born the 'scunthorpe problem'.

> * D. History: Cousinly
>
> D1. In Round 2 we asked about two US presidents who shared the
> same surname. They were grandfather and grandson.
> Another pair of US presidents who shared a surname were
> fifth cousins. What was that surname?

roosevelt (teddy and franklin)

> D2. Please answer the previoux question before decoding
> the rot13. Franklin Roosevelt had another famous relative,
> who was his fifth cousin once removed. Who was that?

eleanor, his wife

> * E. Entertainment: Femininely
>
> These questions are about beauty pageants.
>
> E1. Name the woman who won the Miss America pageant in 1983,
> but was forced to resign her title following the publication
> of nude photos.

vanessa williams

> E2. In 2012, why was it disputed whether Jenna Talackova
> ["talaskova"] was eligible to compete to be Miss Universe
> Canada?

he is transgender

> * F. Geography: Genuinely?
>
> F1. In what Canadian city would you find a body of water called
> False Creek?

vancouver

> F2. "Truth or Consequences" was a game show on radio and
> television, but in 1950 it also became a place name in return
> for an episode of the show being hosted in this small city.
> To this day, in what US state will you find the city of
> Truth or Consequences?

new mexico

swp

Mark Brader

Aug 18, 2016, 5:50:39 PM8/18/16
Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2016-06-20,
> see my 2016-05-31 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

Game 10 is over and STEPHEN PERRY has managed a come-from-behind
win by posting 4 perfect rounds! Hearty congratulations!

> I wrote one of these rounds and about 3 questions in the other.

I wrote all of the challenge round, but after checking I find
that only two questions in the sports round were mine, #3 and #8.
(I wasn't sure earlier because I'd made suggestions similar to a
couple of other questions.)

> * Game 5, Round 9 - Sports - The #9 Round

> We don't intend to ask you about late sports legends every week,
> and in any case we hope our remaining athletic heroes stay in the
> land of the living for a while to come. But the past two weeks
> have been extraordinary. After a round on Muhammad Ali last week,
> it seems pretty much obligatory that the #9 round of today's game
> should be about Mr. Hockey.

This was the second-hardest round in the original game, after the
audio round.

> 1. Gordie Howe grew up in Saskatoon, but what was the small
> Saskatchewan town where he was born?

Floral. 4 for Stephen.

> 2. What bonus was promised to Gordie Howe when he signed up with
> the Detroit Red Wings? Apparently, a year later he had to
> remind the team owner that he hadn't actually received it yet.

A team jacket. 4 for Stephen.

> 3. Howe's first game with Detroit was in 1946. In what year did
> he retire from the NHL *for the first time*? You can answer
> within one year in either direction.

1971 (accepting 1970-72). 4 for Joshua and Stephen. 3 for Pete.

> 4. From 1947 to 1952, Howe played right wing on a famous line
> with two other star players, and in 1950 the three men even
> finished 1-2-3 in league scoring. The personnel changed in the
> ensuing years, but the line kept its nickname -- an apt one for
> a Detroit team. Either tell us that nickname or name either
> of the other two players on the original version of the line.

The Production Line, Sid Abel, Ted Lindsay. 4 for Pete and Stephen.

> 5. Two seasons after his first retirement, Gordie joined the Houston
> Aeros of the new World Hockey Association, where he famously
> played toegether with two of his sons. He later moved to
> another WHA team, and found himself back in the NHL when the
> WHA folded and this team joined his old league. Name that final
> team -- either its WHA name or its name when it joined the NHL.
> Full name required.

New England Whalers, Hartford Whalers. 4 for Pete, Erland,
and Stephen.

> 6. What hockey feat came to be known as a "Gordie Howe hat-trick",
> even though Howe himself accomplished it only twice in his
> career?

A goal, an assist, and a fight (in the same game). 4 for Joshua,
Pete, Peter, and Stephen.

> 7. In <3 years before answer 3>, Bob Baun was traded to the Red
> Wings and promptly chided Howe for taking such a low salary,
> revealing that he was making twice that much. Howe then
> demanded and got a raise (which incidentally gave him more
> than Baun, who was himself no stranger to contract disputes).
> What princely sum had Howe been earning per year prior to his
> increase, within 10% of the true number in either direction?

$45,000 (accepting $40,500-$49,500). 4 for Stephen.

> 8. What was the most goals that Howe scored in a single regular
> season, within 3 in either direction? The season was 70 games
> long at the time.

49 (accepting 46-52). (In 1952-53.) 4 for Stephen. 3 for Joshua
and Dan Blum.

> 9. Gordie Howe's last professional hockey appearance came when
> he was signed to a one-game contract by the Detroit Vipers
> of the IHL, and played one or two shifts. Tell us either
> the year this happened, or how old Gordie was at the time.
> You can answer within 1 year in either direction.

1997 (accepting 1996-98), age 69 (accepting 68-70). 4 for Stephen
(the hard way).

(With this event he became the first person to play professional
hockey in 6 different decades, from the 1940s through the 1990s.)

> 10. Eventually Wayne Gretzky bested many of Gordie Howe's records,
> but one of Mr. Hockey's marks that the Great One never reached
> was total career games played. Including both regular season
> and playoffs, both NHL and WHA, how many games did Howe play
> altogether? You can answer within 10% of the true number in
> either direction.

2,421 (accepting 2,178 to 2,664). 4 for Stephen.

> ** Game 5, Round 10 - The Challengely Round

> Your categories for this round are Dimly, Gimli, Primly, Cousinly,
> Femininely, and... Genuinely?

> * A. Science: Dimly

> A1. Before modern lighting, there were candles. This word
> derived from the same root as "candle" is an old term for
> a maker or seller of candles. Name it.

Chandler. 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, Peter, Calvin, Dan Tilque,
and Stephen.

> A2. What light fixture, still used with electric lights, was
> named in reference to the candles that used to be mounted
> on it?

Chandelier. 4 for Dan Blum and Stephen.

I'm not accepting "candelabra" since I said "used to be", and while
electric candelabras do exist, the kind that take actual candles
are still common enough today.

> * B. Miscellaneous: Gimli

> B1. In 1983 an Air Canada flight ran out of fuel and made an
> emergency landing at Gimli, Manitoba. While there were
> other issues, the direct cause of the problem was a
> confusion between what two *units of measurement*?

Kilograms and pounds. 4 for Joshua, Björn, and Stephen.

(The fuel indicators on an airliner use weight, not volume.)

> B2. Another Gimli -- you knew this was coming -- is a character
> in "The Lord of the Rings". *Either* name Gimli's *father*,
> who was a character in "The Hobbit", *or else* tell us who
> *played Gimli* in the "Lord of the Rings" movie trilogy.

Glóin, John Rhys-Davies. 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, Björn, Calvin,
Dan Tilque, and Stephen. 2 for Peter.

> * C. Literature: Primly

> C1. In the early 19th century a "family" edition of Shakespeare's
> plays was published -- where "family" means it was edited
> to make the content suitable for women and children.
> Name the editor who did this editing.

Thomas Bowdler. 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, Dan Tilque, and Stephen.

> C2. Censorship is not limited to the arts. In 1996 residents
> of the British town of Scunthorpe found that they could not
> register accounts with AOL, that is, America Online. Why?

The registration of their home address was rejected because of a
certain sequence of 4 consecutive letters within the place name.
4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, Peter, Calvin, Dan Tilque, Erland,
and Stephen.

> * D. History: Cousinly

> D1. In Round 2 we asked about two US presidents who shared the
> same surname. They were grandfather and grandson.
> Another pair of US presidents who shared a surname were
> fifth cousins. What was that surname?

Roosevelt. 4 for everyone -- Joshua, Dan Blum, Pete, Peter, Björn,
Calvin, Dan Tilque, Erland, and Stephen.

> D2. Please answer the previoux question before decoding
> the rot13. Franklin Roosevelt had another famous relative,
> who was his fifth cousin once removed. Who was that?

His wife, Eleanor Roosevelt. 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, Pete, Peter,
Calvin, Dan Tilque, and Stephen.

She was Theodore Roosevelt's niece and her maiden name was Roosevelt.

> * E. Entertainment: Femininely

> These questions are about beauty pageants.

> E1. Name the woman who won the Miss America pageant in 1983,
> but was forced to resign her title following the publication
> of nude photos.

Vanessa L. Williams. 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, Pete, Calvin,
Dan Tilque, and Stephen.

> E2. In 2012, why was it disputed whether Jenna Talackova
> ["talaskova"] was eligible to compete to be Miss Universe
> Canada?

She used to be male. I scored "she was a he" as almost correct and
accepted "he is transgender" on the grounds that it was presumably
either a typo or a case of deliberate political incorrectness rather
than an error. 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, Peter, Calvin, and Stephen.
1 for Björn.

> * F. Geography: Genuinely?

> F1. In what Canadian city would you find a body of water called
> False Creek?

Vancouver. (It's a narrow bay that resembles the mouth of a
large river, but isn't.) 4 for Dan Tilque, Erland, and Stephen.
2 for Dan Blum.

> F2. "Truth or Consequences" was a game show on radio and
> television, but in 1950 it also became a place name in return
> for an episode of the show being hosted in this small city.
> To this day, in what US state will you find the city of
> Truth or Consequences?

New Mexico. 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, Pete, Peter, Dan Tilque,
and Stephen.

By the way, the previous name of the place was Hot Springs.

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAME 5 ROUNDS-> 2 3 4 6 7 8 9 10 BEST
TOPICS-> His Ent Mis Sci Lit Geo Spo Cha SIX
Stephen Perry -- -- -- -- 40 40 40 48 168
Dan Blum 22 12 14 27 32 20 3 42 157
Dan Tilque 28 24 4 12 20 32 0 36 152
Joshua Kreitzer 20 36 28 7 -- -- 11 40 142
Marc Dashevsky 8 36 24 20 24 28 -- -- 140
"Calvin" 15 23 16 0 16 36 0 28 134
Pete Gayde 16 40 16 28 -- -- 15 16 131
Peter Smyth 16 0 12 8 20 40 4 26 122
Erland Sommarskog 16 0 -- -- 0 40 4 12 72
Björn Lundin 14 0 -- -- 8 36 0 13 71
Jason Kreitzer 4 16 12 12 -- -- -- -- 44

--
Mark Brader, Toronto "Not looking like Pascal is not
m...@vex.net a language deficiency!" -- Doug Gwyn

Peter Smyth

Aug 19, 2016, 1:12:55 PM8/19/16
Mark Brader wrote:

> > * C. Literature: Primly
>
> > C1. In the early 19th century a "family" edition of Shakespeare's
> > plays was published -- where "family" means it was edited
> > to make the content suitable for women and children.
> > Name the editor who did this editing.
>
> Thomas Bowdler. 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, Dan Tilque, and Stephen.

It may not be the intended answer, but the question could equally well
refer to "Tales from Shakespeare" by Charles and Mary Lamb.

Peter Smyth

Mark Brader

Aug 20, 2016, 2:27:35 AM8/20/16
Mark Brader:
>>> C1. In the early 19th century a "family" edition of Shakespeare's
>>> plays was published -- where "family" means it was edited
>>> to make the content suitable for women and children.
>>> Name the editor who did this editing.
>>
>> Thomas Bowdler. 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, Dan Tilque, and Stephen.

Peter Smyth:
> It may not be the intended answer, but the question could equally well
> refer to "Tales from Shakespeare" by Charles and Mary Lamb.

Equally well, no. This book retells the plays in prose, intended for
"the very young" rather than for women and children; and it's not called
a "family" edition, as Bowdler's was.

But it fits well enough to score this as "almost correct". 3 for Peter.
Scores, if there are now no errors:

GAME 5 ROUNDS-> 2 3 4 6 7 8 9 10 BEST
TOPICS-> His Ent Mis Sci Lit Geo Spo Cha SIX
Stephen Perry -- -- -- -- 40 40 40 48 168
Dan Blum 22 12 14 27 32 20 3 42 157
Dan Tilque 28 24 4 12 20 32 0 36 152
Joshua Kreitzer 20 36 28 7 -- -- 11 40 142
Marc Dashevsky 8 36 24 20 24 28 -- -- 140
"Calvin" 15 23 16 0 16 36 0 28 134
Pete Gayde 16 40 16 28 -- -- 15 16 131
Peter Smyth 16 0 12 8 20 40 4 29 125
Erland Sommarskog 16 0 -- -- 0 40 4 12 72
Björn Lundin 14 0 -- -- 8 36 0 13 71
Jason Kreitzer 4 16 12 12 -- -- -- -- 44
--
Mark Brader, Toronto "The English future is very confusing!
m...@vex.net (This is not a political statement.)"