QFTCI5EP Final, Round 2: Canadiana

瀏覽次數:14 次
跳到第一則未讀訊息

Mark Brader

未讀,
2017年8月30日 晚上11:57:442017/8/30
收件者:
These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2017-04-04,
and should be interpreted accordingly.

Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
the correct answers in about 10-12 days.

All questions were written by members of 5 Easy Pieces and are
used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have
been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information see
my 2016-11-26 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

** Final, Round 2 - Canadiana

* Grand Railway Hotels

We give you a picture, the year it opened, and the company that
built it; you just name the hotel.

1. See: <http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/GFR2/hotel1.jpg>.
1913, Grand Trunk Pacific Railway.

2. See: <http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/GFR2/hotel2.jpg>.
1908, Canadian Pacific Railway.

3. See: <http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/GFR2/hotel3.jpg>.
1893, Canadian Pacific Railway.

* Ontario Provincial Parks

In each case, name the park.

4. This park near Brighton has over 300 car camping sites,
kilometers (or even miles) of walking trails, and a sandy beach.
It is a popular spot for birdwatching.

5. This 16.43 km² (6.34 sq.mi.) "historical class" park is
located northeast of Peterborough and has the largest collection
of First Nations rock carvings, believed to date back to between
900 and 1100.

6. The only provincial park with a golf course, it is located on
the shores of Lake Erie and has camping trails, hiking, and
access to a shallow-water beach.

* Historic Newspapers

7. This man co-founded the "Banner", a Presbyterian weekly
supporting Free Kirk principles and political reform, and then
in 1844 he founded the "Globe". Name him.

8. William Lyon Mackenzie founded this independent paper in Ontario,
the first to have significant political impact. Name it.

9. On March 23, 1752, John Bushel became the colony's first "King's
Printer" when he published the first edition of what newspaper?

* Wrongful Convictions

10. He spent 12 years in prison after a jury in Sault Ste. Marie
convicted him of killing his 4-year-old niece. But forensic
pathologist Dr. Charles Smith, a key prosecution witness, was
later discredited and became the focus of a judicial inquiry.
Name the wrongly convicted man, who received $4,250,000 in
compensation.

11. He was convicted in 1992 of killing his girlfriend, Elizabeth
Bain, last seen on the Scarborough campus of University
of Toronto. He was released on bail in 2000 and ultimately
acquitted at a retrial in 2008 when the prosecution declared
"No evidence". Name him.

12. Michael McTaggart spent 2 years in prison for a string of
robberies he didn't commit. The lead investigator had
concealed the fact that in four of the robberies witnesses
picked another man in the lineups. McTaggart was better known
by *what nickname*? It referred to his penchant for singing
a certain performer's songs on the TTC.

Please decode the rot13 after you have completed this triple:
Vs lbh whfg tnir gur anzr Wbuafba sbe nal nafjre, jr arrq zber.
Tb onpx naq pbzcyrgr vg.

* Latin Terms Used in Canadian Courts

13. What term denotes that a final ruling has been made on a legal
matter that is not subject to appeal, and translates as "the
thing has been decided"?

14. What term translates as "a friend of the court", and refers
to a judge appointing a lawyer to assist the court process on
behalf of an unrepresented accused person or other party?

15. The idea that the law does not concern itself with trifles,
or very minor things, is referred to by which term?

--
Mark Brader, Toronto | The plural of "virus" is "ad nauseam".
m...@vex.net | --Fred Bambrough

Marc Dashevsky

未讀,
2017年8月31日 凌晨4:27:582017/8/31
收件者:
In article <JYCdnWlClvSuFDrE...@giganews.com>, m...@vex.net says...
> ** Final, Round 2 - Canadiana
> * Latin Terms Used in Canadian Courts
>
> 13. What term denotes that a final ruling has been made on a legal
> matter that is not subject to appeal, and translates as "the
> thing has been decided"?
res judicada

> 14. What term translates as "a friend of the court", and refers
> to a judge appointing a lawyer to assist the court process on
> behalf of an unrepresented accused person or other party?
amicus curiae

> 15. The idea that the law does not concern itself with trifles,
> or very minor things, is referred to by which term?
de minimis

---
http://www.avg.com

Joshua Kreitzer

未讀,
2017年8月31日 上午8:58:062017/8/31
收件者:
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:JYCdnWlClvSuFDrEnZ2dnUU7-
bnN...@giganews.com:

> ** Final, Round 2 - Canadiana
>
> * Latin Terms Used in Canadian Courts
>
> 13. What term denotes that a final ruling has been made on a legal
> matter that is not subject to appeal, and translates as "the
> thing has been decided"?

res judicata

> 14. What term translates as "a friend of the court", and refers
> to a judge appointing a lawyer to assist the court process on
> behalf of an unrepresented accused person or other party?

amicus curiae

> 15. The idea that the law does not concern itself with trifles,
> or very minor things, is referred to by which term?

de minimis non curat lex

--
Joshua Kreitzer
grom...@hotmail.com

Dan Blum

未讀,
2017年8月31日 下午3:04:042017/8/31
收件者:
Mark Brader <m...@vex.net> wrote:

> ** Final, Round 2 - Canadiana

> 13. What term denotes that a final ruling has been made on a legal
> matter that is not subject to appeal, and translates as "the
> thing has been decided"?

res ipsa loquitor

> 14. What term translates as "a friend of the court", and refers
> to a judge appointing a lawyer to assist the court process on
> behalf of an unrepresented accused person or other party?

amica curiae

Dan Blum to...@panix.com

Pete Gayde

未讀,
2017年9月1日 下午5:45:322017/9/1
收件者:
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:JYCdnWlClvSuFDrEnZ2dnUU7-
bnN...@giganews.com:

> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2017-04-04,

> Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
> the correct answers in about 10-12 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of 5 Easy Pieces and are
> used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have
> been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information see
> my 2016-11-26 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>

> ** Final, Round 2 - Canadiana
>
> * Grand Railway Hotels
>
> We give you a picture, the year it opened, and the company that
> built it; you just name the hotel.
>
> 1. See: <http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/GFR2/hotel1.jpg>.
> 1913, Grand Trunk Pacific Railway.
>
> 2. See: <http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/GFR2/hotel2.jpg>.
> 1908, Canadian Pacific Railway.
>
> 3. See: <http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/GFR2/hotel3.jpg>.
> 1893, Canadian Pacific Railway.

Frontenac

> * Ontario Provincial Parks
>
> In each case, name the park.
>
> 4. This park near Brighton has over 300 car camping sites,
> kilometers (or even miles) of walking trails, and a sandy beach.
> It is a popular spot for birdwatching.

Point Pelee

> 5. This 16.43 km² (6.34 sq.mi.) "historical class" park is
> located northeast of Peterborough and has the largest collection
> of First Nations rock carvings, believed to date back to between
> 900 and 1100.
>
> 6. The only provincial park with a golf course, it is located on
> the shores of Lake Erie and has camping trails, hiking, and
> access to a shallow-water beach.

Point Pelee

> * Historic Newspapers
>
> 7. This man co-founded the "Banner", a Presbyterian weekly
> supporting Free Kirk principles and political reform, and then
> in 1844 he founded the "Globe". Name him.
>
> 8. William Lyon Mackenzie founded this independent paper in Ontario,
> the first to have significant political impact. Name it.

Toronto Star; Toronto Globe & Mail
In media res

> 14. What term translates as "a friend of the court", and refers
> to a judge appointing a lawyer to assist the court process on
> behalf of an unrepresented accused person or other party?
>
> 15. The idea that the law does not concern itself with trifles,
> or very minor things, is referred to by which term?

Pete (or "Peet") Gayde

Dan Tilque

未讀,
2017年9月2日 清晨5:27:082017/9/2
收件者:
Mark Brader wrote:

> ** Final, Round 2 - Canadiana
>
> * Grand Railway Hotels
>
> We give you a picture, the year it opened, and the company that
> built it; you just name the hotel.
>
> 1. See: <http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/GFR2/hotel1.jpg>.
> 1913, Grand Trunk Pacific Railway.
>
> 2. See: <http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/GFR2/hotel2.jpg>.
> 1908, Canadian Pacific Railway.
>
> 3. See: <http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/GFR2/hotel3.jpg>.
> 1893, Canadian Pacific Railway.
>

> * Ontario Provincial Parks
>
> In each case, name the park.
>
> 4. This park near Brighton has over 300 car camping sites,
> kilometers (or even miles) of walking trails, and a sandy beach.
> It is a popular spot for birdwatching.
>
> 5. This 16.43 km² (6.34 sq.mi.) "historical class" park is
> located northeast of Peterborough and has the largest collection
> of First Nations rock carvings, believed to date back to between
> 900 and 1100.
>
> 6. The only provincial park with a golf course, it is located on
> the shores of Lake Erie and has camping trails, hiking, and
> access to a shallow-water beach.

Point Pelee
amicus curiae

> 15. The idea that the law does not concern itself with trifles,
> or very minor things, is referred to by which term?

--
Dan Tilque

Mark Brader

未讀,
2017年9月2日 晚上10:03:592017/9/2
收件者:
Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2017-04-04,
> see my 2016-11-26 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

> ** Final, Round 2 - Canadiana

> * Grand Railway Hotels

> We give you a picture, the year it opened, and the company that
> built it; you just name the hotel.

> 1. See: <http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/GFR2/hotel1.jpg>.
> 1913, Grand Trunk Pacific Railway.

Fort Garry Hotel (Winnipeg).

> 2. See: <http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/GFR2/hotel2.jpg>.
> 1908, Canadian Pacific Railway.

Empress Hotel (Victoria).

> 3. See: <http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/GFR2/hotel3.jpg>.
> 1893, Canadian Pacific Railway.

Chateau Frontenac (Montreal). 3 for Pete.

> * Ontario Provincial Parks

> In each case, name the park.

> 4. This park near Brighton has over 300 car camping sites,
> kilometers (or even miles) of walking trails, and a sandy beach.
> It is a popular spot for birdwatching.

Presqu'ile.

> 5. This 16.43 km² (6.34 sq.mi.) "historical class" park is
> located northeast of Peterborough and has the largest collection
> of First Nations rock carvings, believed to date back to between
> 900 and 1100.

Petroglyphs.

> 6. The only provincial park with a golf course, it is located on
> the shores of Lake Erie and has camping trails, hiking, and
> access to a shallow-water beach.

Turkey Point.

> * Historic Newspapers

> 7. This man co-founded the "Banner", a Presbyterian weekly
> supporting Free Kirk principles and political reform, and then
> in 1844 he founded the "Globe". Name him.

George Brown.

> 8. William Lyon Mackenzie founded this independent paper in Ontario,
> the first to have significant political impact. Name it.

The "Colonial Advocate".

> 9. On March 23, 1752, John Bushel became the colony's first "King's
> Printer" when he published the first edition of what newspaper?

The "Halifax Gazette".

> * Wrongful Convictions

> 10. He spent 12 years in prison after a jury in Sault Ste. Marie
> convicted him of killing his 4-year-old niece. But forensic
> pathologist Dr. Charles Smith, a key prosecution witness, was
> later discredited and became the focus of a judicial inquiry.
> Name the wrongly convicted man, who received $4,250,000 in
> compensation.

William Mullins-Johnson. No, "Johnson" was not sufficient.

> 11. He was convicted in 1992 of killing his girlfriend, Elizabeth
> Bain, last seen on the Scarborough campus of University
> of Toronto. He was released on bail in 2000 and ultimately
> acquitted at a retrial in 2008 when the prosecution declared
> "No evidence". Name him.

Robert Baltovich.

> 12. Michael McTaggart spent 2 years in prison for a string of
> robberies he didn't commit. The lead investigator had
> concealed the fact that in four of the robberies witnesses
> picked another man in the lineups. McTaggart was better known
> by *what nickname*? It referred to his penchant for singing
> a certain performer's songs on the TTC.

Subway Elvis.

> * Latin Terms Used in Canadian Courts

(Yeah, real Canadiana there.)

> 13. What term denotes that a final ruling has been made on a legal
> matter that is not subject to appeal, and translates as "the
> thing has been decided"?

Res judicata. 4 for Marc and Joshua.

> 14. What term translates as "a friend of the court", and refers
> to a judge appointing a lawyer to assist the court process on
> behalf of an unrepresented accused person or other party?

Amicus curiae. 4 for Marc, Joshua, Dan Blum, and Dan Tilque.

> 15. The idea that the law does not concern itself with trifles,
> or very minor things, is referred to by which term?

De minimis non curat lex. The first two words were sufficient.
4 for Marc and Joshua.

Scores, if there are no errors:

FINAL ROUNDS-> 2
TOPICS-> Can
Marc Dashevsky 12
Joshua Kreitzer 12
Dan Blum 4
Dan Tilque 4
Pete Gayde 3

--
Mark Brader | "We didn't just track down that bug,
Toronto | we left evidence of its extermination