Calvin's Quiz #588

Calvin

Feb 6, 2020, 6:17:24 PM2/6/20

1 Which Arizona town was the scene of the Gunfight at the OK Corral?
2 What 6-letter word can precede ant, bee and whale?
3 A Mexican dish served “con queso” comes with what foodstuff?
4 Which New York skyscraper designed by William van Alen is, with its sunburst-patterned stainless steel spire, often cited as the epitome of art deco design?
5 A bird of paradise appears on which country's flag?
6 In music, which note equals half a minim?
7 "Where's Papa going with that Ax?" is the first line of which 1952 children's book?
8 Also used informally in English, what four letter word means 'crazy' in Spanish?
9 Cavendish and Lady Finger are varieties of which fruit?
10 In which 1994 film did Jim Carrey play the part of Stanley Ipkiss?

cheers,
calvin

Mark Brader

Feb 6, 2020, 7:00:44 PM2/6/20
Calvin:
> 1 Which Arizona town was the scene of the Gunfight at the OK Corral?

Deadwood.

> 2 What 6-letter word can precede ant, bee and whale?

Killer.

> 3 A Mexican dish served "con queso" comes with what foodstuff?

Cheese.

> 4 Which New York skyscraper designed by William van Alen is,
> with its sunburst-patterned stainless steel spire, often cited
> as the epitome of art deco design?

Chrysler Building.

> 5 A bird of paradise appears on which country's flag?

Brunei.

> 6 In music, which note equals half a minim?

Half note.

> 7 "Where's Papa going with that Ax?" is the first line of
> which 1952 children's book?

"Charlotte's Web".

> 8 Also used informally in English, what four letter word means
> 'crazy' in Spanish?

Loco.

> 9 Cavendish and Lady Finger are varieties of which fruit?

Banana.

> 10 In which 1994 film did Jim Carrey play the part of Stanley Ipkiss?

"The Mask".
--
Mark Brader | "(There's no accounting for taste, I guess.)
Toronto | [*You*, not me!]"

Joe Masters

Feb 7, 2020, 1:38:50 AM2/7/20
On 2020-02-06 23:17:23 +0000, Calvin said:

> 1 Which Arizona town was the scene of the Gunfight at the OK Corral?

Tombstone

> 2 What 6-letter word can precede ant, bee and whale?

Killer

> 3 A Mexican dish served “con queso” comes with what foodstuff?

Beans

> 4 Which New York skyscraper designed by William van Alen is, with its
> sunburst-patterned stainless steel spire, often cited as the epitome of
> art deco design?

Empire State Building

> 5 A bird of paradise appears on which country's flag?

Liberia

> 6 In music, which note equals half a minim?

Crotchet

> 7 "Where's Papa going with that Ax?" is the first line of which 1952
> children's book?
> 8 Also used informally in English, what four letter word means 'crazy'
> in Spanish?

Loco

> 9 Cavendish and Lady Finger are varieties of which fruit?

Banana

> 10 In which 1994 film did Jim Carrey play the part of Stanley Ipkiss?

The Truman Show

--
“To err, as they say, is human. To forgive is divine. To err by
withholding your forgiveness until it’s too late is to become divinely

Erland Sommarskog

Feb 7, 2020, 12:02:47 PM2/7/20
Calvin (334...@gmail.com) writes:
> 2 What 6-letter word can precede ant, bee and whale?

killer

> 3 A Mexican dish served ?con queso? comes with what foodstuff?

Cheese

> 4 Which New York skyscraper designed by William van Alen is, with
> its sunburst-patterned stainless steel spire, often cited as the epitome
> of art deco design?

Empire State Building

> 8 Also used informally in English, what four letter word means
> 'crazy' in Spanish?

loco

> 9 Cavendish and Lady Finger are varieties of which fruit?

Apple

Pete Gayde

Feb 7, 2020, 2:10:22 PM2/7/20
Calvin <334...@gmail.com> wrote in

> 1 Which Arizona town was the scene of the Gunfight at the OK
> Corral?

Tombstone

> 2 What 6-letter word can precede ant, bee and whale?
> 3 A Mexican dish served “con queso” comes with what foodstuff?

Cheese

> 4 Which New York skyscraper designed by William van Alen is, with
> its sunburst-patterned stainless steel spire, often cited as the
> epitome of art deco design?

Chrysler Building

> 5 A bird of paradise appears on which country's flag?
> 6 In music, which note equals half a minim?

Eighth note

> 7 "Where's Papa going with that Ax?" is the first line of which
> 1952 children's book?
> 8 Also used informally in English, what four
> letter word means 'crazy' in Spanish?

Loco

> 9 Cavendish and Lady Finger are varieties of which fruit?

Banana

> 10 In which 1994 film did Jim Carrey
> play the part of Stanley Ipkiss?

The Mask

> cheers,
> calvin

Pete Gayde

Dan Tilque

Feb 7, 2020, 11:39:48 PM2/7/20
On 2/6/20 3:17 PM, Calvin wrote:

> 1 Which Arizona town was the scene of the Gunfight at the OK Corral?

Tombstone

> 2 What 6-letter word can precede ant, bee and whale?
> 3 A Mexican dish served “con queso” comes with what foodstuff?
> 4 Which New York skyscraper designed by William van Alen is, with its sunburst-patterned stainless steel spire, often cited as the epitome of art deco design?

Chrysler Building

> 5 A bird of paradise appears on which country's flag?

Papua New Guinea

> 6 In music, which note equals half a minim?

hemidemisemiquaver

> 7 "Where's Papa going with that Ax?" is the first line of which 1952 children's book?
> 8 Also used informally in English, what four letter word means 'crazy' in Spanish?

loco

> 9 Cavendish and Lady Finger are varieties of which fruit?

banana

> 10 In which 1994 film did Jim Carrey play the part of Stanley Ipkiss?

--
Dan Tilque

Calvin

Feb 16, 2020, 8:54:37 PM2/16/20
On Friday, February 7, 2020 at 9:17:24 AM UTC+10, Calvin wrote:

> 1 Which Arizona town was the scene of the Gunfight at the OK Corral?

Tombstone

> 2 What 6-letter word can precede ant, bee and whale?

Killer

> 3 A Mexican dish served “con queso” comes with what foodstuff?

Cheese

> 4 Which New York skyscraper designed by William van Alen is, with its sunburst-patterned stainless steel spire, often cited as the epitome of art deco design?

Chrysler building

> 5 A bird of paradise appears on which country's flag?

PNG
Singleton for Dan B

> 6 In music, which note equals half a minim?

Crotchet
Singleton for Joe

> 7 "Where's Papa going with that Ax?" is the first line of which 1952 children's book?

Charlotte's Web
Singleton for Mark

> 8 Also used informally in English, what four letter word means 'crazy' in Spanish?

Loco

> 9 Cavendish and Lady Finger are varieties of which fruit?

Banana

> 10 In which 1994 film did Jim Carrey play the part of Stanley Ipkiss?

The Mask

Q1 Q2 Q3 Q4 Q5 Q6 Q7 Q8 Q9 Q10 TOTAL TB Quiz 588
0 1 1 1 0 0 1 1 1 1 7 22 Mark Brader
1 0 1 1 0 0 0 1 1 1 6 21 Pete Gayde
1 1 0 0 0 1 0 1 1 0 5 16 Joe Masters
1 0 0 1 1 0 0 1 1 0 5 17 Dan Tilque
0 1 1 1 0 0 0 1 0 0 4 15 Erland S
- - - - - - - - - - --- ----------
3 3 3 4 1 1 1 5 4 2 27 54%

Congratulations Mark.

cheers,
calvin

Calvin

Feb 16, 2020, 8:56:57 PM2/16/20

1 How many different letters are used in Roman numerals?
2 Who portrayed Solitaire in the 1973 James Bond film Live and Let Die?
3 What two-word term refers to a heavy-duty towing engine that provides motive power for hauling a towed or trailered load?
4 Plutophobia is the fear of what?
5 Which 2000 Dreamworks animated movie had taglines including Escape or die frying and This ain't no chick flick?
6 Which 1985 Dire Straits album included the hits Money for Nothing and Walk of Life?
7 An iconic 1890 painting by Tom Roberts is titled Shearing the… what?
8 In the card game 500, what bid is worth 220 points?
9 Which song from the 1969 film Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid won an Academy Award for Best Original Song?
10 Which reformist educator was headmaster of Rugby School from 1828 to 1841?

cheers,
calvin

Dan Blum

Feb 16, 2020, 10:29:45 PM2/16/20

6

> 3 What two-word term refers to a heavy-duty towing engine that provides motive power for hauling a towed or trailered load?

traction engine

> 4 Plutophobia is the fear of what?

money

> 5 Which 2000 Dreamworks animated movie had taglines including Escape or die frying and This ain't no chick flick?

Chicken Run

> 7 An iconic 1890 painting by Tom Roberts is titled Shearing the??? what?

Flock

Dan Blum to...@panix.com

Mark Brader

Feb 17, 2020, 12:11:49 AM2/17/20
"Calvin":
> 1 How many different letters are used in Roman numerals?

7.

> 2 Who portrayed Solitaire in the 1973 James Bond film Live and
> Let Die?
> 3 What two-word term refers to a heavy-duty towing engine that
> provides motive power for hauling a towed or trailered load?
> 4 Plutophobia is the fear of what?

Money.

> 5 Which 2000 Dreamworks animated movie had taglines including
> Escape or die frying and This ain't no chick flick?

"Chicken Run".

> 6 Which 1985 Dire Straits album included the hits Money for
> Nothing and Walk of Life?
> 7 An iconic 1890 painting by Tom Roberts is titled Shearing
> the... what?
> 8 In the card game 500, what bid is worth 220 points?
> 9 Which song from the 1969 film Butch Cassidy and the Sundance
> Kid won an Academy Award for Best Original Song?

"Raindrops Keep Falling on my Head".

--
Mark Brader | "Mechanics, musicians, and programmers all know
Toronto | how to arrange numerous small units into logical
| to move something in a profound way." -- Barry Kort

Joe Masters

Feb 17, 2020, 3:09:21 AM2/17/20

7

> 2 Who portrayed Solitaire in the 1973 James Bond film Live and Let Die?

Barbara Bach

> 3 What two-word term refers to a heavy-duty towing engine that provides
> motive power for hauling a towed or trailered load?

Road Train

> 4 Plutophobia is the fear of what?

Wealth

> 5 Which 2000 Dreamworks animated movie had taglines including Escape or
> die frying and This ain't no chick flick?

Chicken Run

> 6 Which 1985 Dire Straits album included the hits Money for Nothing and
> Walk of Life?

Brothers in Arms

> 7 An iconic 1890 painting by Tom Roberts is titled Shearing the… what?

Sheep

> 8 In the card game 500, what bid is worth 220 points?

Never heard of the game

> 9 Which song from the 1969 film Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid won
> an Academy Award for Best Original Song?

Raindrops Keep Falling on My Head

> 10 Which reformist educator was headmaster of Rugby School from 1828 to 1841?

Arnold

Erland Sommarskog

Feb 17, 2020, 4:53:33 PM2/17/20
Calvin (334...@gmail.com) writes:
> 1 How many different letters are used in Roman numerals?

VII

> 2 Who portrayed Solitaire in the 1973 James Bond film Live and Let
> Die?

Tony Curtis

Pete Gayde

Feb 18, 2020, 4:14:59 PM2/18/20

> 1 How many different letters are used in Roman numerals?

7

> 2 Who portrayed Solitaire in the 1973 James Bond film Live and Let
> Die?

Barbara Bach

> 3 What two-word term refers to a heavy-duty towing engine
> that provides motive power for hauling a towed or trailered load?
> 4 Plutophobia is the fear of what?

Plutocrats

> 5 Which 2000 Dreamworks animated
> movie had taglines including Escape or die frying and This ain't no
> chick flick?

Chicken Run

> 6 Which 1985 Dire Straits album included the hits
> Money for Nothing and Walk of Life?
> 7 An iconic 1890 painting by
> Tom Roberts is titled Shearing the… what?
> 8 In the card game 500, what bid is worth 220 points?
> 9 Which song from the 1969 film
> Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid won an Academy Award for Best
> Original Song?

Raindrops Keep Falling on My Head

> 10 Which reformist educator was headmaster of Rugby
> School from 1828 to 1841?
>

> cheers,
> calvin

Pete Gayde

Calvin

Feb 23, 2020, 9:16:04 PM2/23/20
On Monday, February 17, 2020 at 11:56:57 AM UTC+10, Calvin wrote:

> 1 How many different letters are used in Roman numerals?

7
I, V, X, L, C, D, M

> 2 Who portrayed Solitaire in the 1973 James Bond film Live and Let Die?

Jane Seymour
I;m surprised noone got thisa.

> 3 What two-word term refers to a heavy-duty towing engine that provides motive power for hauling a towed or trailered load?

Prime Mover
Less surprised here- may be an Australian usage???

> 4 Plutophobia is the fear of what?

Money / wealth

> 5 Which 2000 Dreamworks animated movie had taglines including Escape or die frying and This ain't no chick flick?

Chicken Run

> 6 Which 1985 Dire Straits album included the hits Money for Nothing and Walk of Life?

Brothers in Arms
Singleton for Joe

> 7 An iconic 1890 painting by Tom Roberts is titled Shearing the… what?

Rams
If you only know one Australian painting this should be it
https://www.ngv.vic.gov.au/explore/collection/work/2920/

> 8 In the card game 500, what bid is worth 220 points?

7 no trumps
Another wipeout

> 9 Which song from the 1969 film Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid won an Academy Award for Best Original Song?

Raindrops Keep Falling on my Head

> 10 Which reformist educator was headmaster of Rugby School from 1828 to 1841?

Thomas Arnold
Singleton for Joe

Q1 Q2 Q3 Q4 Q5 Q6 Q7 Q8 Q9 Q10 TOTAL TB Quiz 589
1 0 0 1 1 1 0 0 1 1 6 16 Joe Masters
1 0 0 1 1 0 0 0 1 0 4 14 Mark Brader
1 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 1 0 3 11 Pete Gayde
0 0 0 1 1 0 0 0 0 0 2 7 Dan Blum
1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 4 Erland S
- - - - - - - - - - --- ----------
4 0 0 3 4 1 0 0 3 1 16 32%

Well that was pretty brutal. Well done Joe, and better luck next time everyone.

cheers,
calvin

Mark Brader

Feb 23, 2020, 11:51:19 PM2/23/20
"Calvin":
> > 2 Who portrayed Solitaire in the 1973 James Bond film Live and Let Die?
>
> Jane Seymour
> I;m surprised noone got thisa.

Simple. SEAN CONNERY is James Bond.

> > 3 What two-word term refers to a heavy-duty towing engine that provides motive power for hauling a towed or trailered load?
>
> Prime Mover
> Less surprised here- may be an Australian usage???

As far as I'm concerned, the meaning of that term is any device that
puts something into motion without requiring something else to be put
into motion to drive it. So it includes, for example, a diesel engine
but not an electric motor that draws power from a generator.
--
Mark Brader, Toronto "I may be ranting, but I'm right!"
m...@vex.net -- Wojeck: Out of the Fire