QFTCIBP Game 6, Rounds 2-3: train books, Ottawa

Mark Brader

Apr 21, 2018, 12:59:02 AM4/21/18
These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2018-02-26,
and should be interpreted accordingly.

Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
the correct answers in about 3 days.

All questions were written by members of Bill Psychs and are
used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have
been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information see
my 2017-09-25 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

* Game 6, Round 2 - Literature - Train Tales

This round is about books featuring, or set (at least in part)
on, trains. Some of these books have also been adapted as movies.
The dates shown are the date of first publication in book form.
Unless otherwise indicated, give the title of the book.

1. Published 1934. Just after midnight, a snowdrift stops the
train in its tracks. The luxurious train is surprisingly full
for the time of the year, but by morning there is one less
passenger: an American tycoon lies dead in his compartment.
Isolated and with a killer in their midst, detective Hercule
Poirot must identify the murderer -- in case he or she decides
to strike again.

2. Published 1950. This psychological thriller is about two men
whose lives become entangled after one of them proposes they
commit "murder for each other". One man has an unfaithful wife
and wants to be with his lover. The other man has a wealthy
father who refuses to give him money.

3. First book published 1982. This series of 8 books describes a
"gunslinger" and his quest, the nature of which is both physical
and metaphorical. The main character, Roland of Gilead, travels
through a series of caves which were once part of an underground
railroad system. The characters also ride on a monorail with
artificial intelligence. What is the name of the *series*?

4. Published 1906. This kids' story concerns a family who must
move from a comfortable life in London to a house near the
railway in Yorkshire after their father, falsely accused of
spying, is imprisoned. The children befriend an Old Gentleman
who regularly takes the 9:15 train near their home. As the
story continues, the children help this man and he helps them.

5. Published 1985. A young boy, who is beginning to doubt the
existence of Santa Claus, is awakened in the night by the sound
of a train. To his astonishment, he finds the train is waiting
for him.

6. Published 1975. This historical novel is the story of a massive
gold heist, which takes place on a moving train in England
in 1855.

7. Published 1957. In this novel, James Bond is the target of MGB
killer Grant. The Russians use a beautiful woman, Tatiana,
to lure Bond out of London. It works: he rushes to Istanbul
in order to help her defect to Britain. Bond wants to take her
to Britain by plane, but Tatiana insists on the Orient Express.

8. Published 1878. The tragic story of a married socialite and
her affair with an affluent royal. Through the lives and
excesses of her extended wealthy family, it explores the extreme
changes occurring in society as well as timeless themes such as
love, marriage, jealousy, and death. Train travel is arguably
the most prominent motif of the story.

9. Published 1924. This kids' story is about four children --
Henry, Jessie, Violet, and Benny Alden -- who create a home in
the forest in an abandoned train car. Their parents are dead,
and the children are on the run from a mean grandfather they've
never met.

10. Published 1908. This kids' novel focuses on four anthropo-
morphized animals in a pastoral version of Edwardian England.
In one chapter, Toad escapes from prison disguised as
a washerwoman. Though free again, he is without money or
possessions. He manages to board a railway engine manned by
a sympathetic driver, which is then pursued by a special train
loaded with policemen, detectives, and prison warders.

* Game 6, Round 3 - Canadiana Geography - Ottawa

See if you can answer these questions about our nation's capital.

1. What park lies north and east of the Rideau Canal where the
canal enters the Ottawa River?

2. What the Governor General's official residence in Ottawa named?

3. What street does Parliament Hill front onto?

4. About 5 km away from the Ottawa River, the Rideau Canal opens
into a large lake, surrounded by Commissioners Park and a
namesake pavilion. What is the name of this lake?

5. What is the name of the French-gothic-styled hotel that's
located at 1 Rideau St.?

6. What is the name of Ottawa's main tourist market, where you
can buy Beavertails, maple syrup, and Obama cookies?

7. What is the street that starts at the National War Memorial
and heads roughly south, passing the British High Commission,
the National Arts Centre, Confederation Park -- and a hotel
named after the same person as the street? Hint: The hotel's
name begins with "Lord".

8. Name either street that the US embassy fronts onto.

9. In which neighborhood south of downtown are Lansdowne Park and
the TD Place football stadium located? Hint: it's a 5-letter
word.

10. What is the *current* name of the arena in Kanata where the
Ottawa Senators play?

--
Mark Brader | "If there had been government -- and dare I say industrial?
Toronto | -- research establishments in the Stone Age, by now we
| would have invented steel." -- Arthur C. Clarke

Pete Gayde

Apr 21, 2018, 1:38:03 AM4/21/18
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:UrydndPTWL6NWEfHnZ2dnUU7-
SPN...@giganews.com:
Murder on the Orient Express

> 2. Published 1950. This psychological thriller is about two men
> whose lives become entangled after one of them proposes they
> commit "murder for each other". One man has an unfaithful wife
> and wants to be with his lover. The other man has a wealthy
> father who refuses to give him money.

Double Indemnity

> 3. First book published 1982. This series of 8 books describes a
> "gunslinger" and his quest, the nature of which is both physical
> and metaphorical. The main character, Roland of Gilead, travels
> through a series of caves which were once part of an underground
> railroad system. The characters also ride on a monorail with
> artificial intelligence. What is the name of the *series*?
>
> 4. Published 1906. This kids' story concerns a family who must
> move from a comfortable life in London to a house near the
> railway in Yorkshire after their father, falsely accused of
> spying, is imprisoned. The children befriend an Old Gentleman
> who regularly takes the 9:15 train near their home. As the
> story continues, the children help this man and he helps them.
>
> 5. Published 1985. A young boy, who is beginning to doubt the
> existence of Santa Claus, is awakened in the night by the sound
> of a train. To his astonishment, he finds the train is waiting
> for him.

Polar Express
Pete Gayde

Joshua Kreitzer

Apr 21, 2018, 1:38:29 AM4/21/18
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:UrydndPTWL6NWEfHnZ2dnUU7-
SPN...@giganews.com:

> * Game 6, Round 2 - Literature - Train Tales
>
> This round is about books featuring, or set (at least in part)
> on, trains. Some of these books have also been adapted as movies.
> The dates shown are the date of first publication in book form.
> Unless otherwise indicated, give the title of the book.
>
> 1. Published 1934. Just after midnight, a snowdrift stops the
> train in its tracks. The luxurious train is surprisingly full
> for the time of the year, but by morning there is one less
> passenger: an American tycoon lies dead in his compartment.
> Isolated and with a killer in their midst, detective Hercule
> Poirot must identify the murderer -- in case he or she decides
> to strike again.

"Murder on the Orient Express"

> 2. Published 1950. This psychological thriller is about two men
> whose lives become entangled after one of them proposes they
> commit "murder for each other". One man has an unfaithful wife
> and wants to be with his lover. The other man has a wealthy
> father who refuses to give him money.

"Strangers on a Train"

> 3. First book published 1982. This series of 8 books describes a
> "gunslinger" and his quest, the nature of which is both physical
> and metaphorical. The main character, Roland of Gilead, travels
> through a series of caves which were once part of an underground
> railroad system. The characters also ride on a monorail with
> artificial intelligence. What is the name of the *series*?

"The Dark Tower"

> 4. Published 1906. This kids' story concerns a family who must
> move from a comfortable life in London to a house near the
> railway in Yorkshire after their father, falsely accused of
> spying, is imprisoned. The children befriend an Old Gentleman
> who regularly takes the 9:15 train near their home. As the
> story continues, the children help this man and he helps them.

"The Railway Children"

> 5. Published 1985. A young boy, who is beginning to doubt the
> existence of Santa Claus, is awakened in the night by the sound
> of a train. To his astonishment, he finds the train is waiting
> for him.

"The Polar Express"

> 6. Published 1975. This historical novel is the story of a massive
> gold heist, which takes place on a moving train in England
> in 1855.

"The Great Train Robbery"; "The First Great Train Robbery"

> 7. Published 1957. In this novel, James Bond is the target of MGB
> killer Grant. The Russians use a beautiful woman, Tatiana,
> to lure Bond out of London. It works: he rushes to Istanbul
> in order to help her defect to Britain. Bond wants to take her
> to Britain by plane, but Tatiana insists on the Orient Express.

"From Russia with Love"

> 8. Published 1878. The tragic story of a married socialite and
> her affair with an affluent royal. Through the lives and
> excesses of her extended wealthy family, it explores the extreme
> changes occurring in society as well as timeless themes such as
> love, marriage, jealousy, and death. Train travel is arguably
> the most prominent motif of the story.

"Anna Karenina"

> 9. Published 1924. This kids' story is about four children --
> Henry, Jessie, Violet, and Benny Alden -- who create a home in
> the forest in an abandoned train car. Their parents are dead,
> and the children are on the run from a mean grandfather they've
> never met.

"The Railway Children"

> 10. Published 1908. This kids' novel focuses on four anthropo-
> morphized animals in a pastoral version of Edwardian England.
> In one chapter, Toad escapes from prison disguised as
> a washerwoman. Though free again, he is without money or
> possessions. He manages to board a railway engine manned by
> a sympathetic driver, which is then pursued by a special train
> loaded with policemen, detectives, and prison warders.

"The Wind in the Willows"

> * Game 6, Round 3 - Canadiana Geography - Ottawa
>
> See if you can answer these questions about our nation's capital.

I saw, and I couldn't.

--
Joshua Kreitzer
grom...@hotmail.com

Peter Smyth

Apr 21, 2018, 3:55:19 AM4/21/18
Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 6, Round 2 - Literature - Train Tales
>
> This round is about books featuring, or set (at least in part)
> on, trains. Some of these books have also been adapted as movies.
> The dates shown are the date of first publication in book form.
> Unless otherwise indicated, give the title of the book.
>
> 1. Published 1934. Just after midnight, a snowdrift stops the
> train in its tracks. The luxurious train is surprisingly full
> for the time of the year, but by morning there is one less
> passenger: an American tycoon lies dead in his compartment.
> Isolated and with a killer in their midst, detective Hercule
> Poirot must identify the murderer -- in case he or she decides
> to strike again.
Murder on the Orient Express
> 2. Published 1950. This psychological thriller is about two men
> whose lives become entangled after one of them proposes they
> commit "murder for each other". One man has an unfaithful wife
> and wants to be with his lover. The other man has a wealthy
> father who refuses to give him money.
>
> 3. First book published 1982. This series of 8 books describes a
> "gunslinger" and his quest, the nature of which is both physical
> and metaphorical. The main character, Roland of Gilead, travels
> through a series of caves which were once part of an underground
> railroad system. The characters also ride on a monorail with
> artificial intelligence. What is the name of the series?
>
> 4. Published 1906. This kids' story concerns a family who must
> move from a comfortable life in London to a house near the
> railway in Yorkshire after their father, falsely accused of
> spying, is imprisoned. The children befriend an Old Gentleman
> who regularly takes the 9:15 train near their home. As the
> story continues, the children help this man and he helps them.
The Railway Children
Peter Smyth

Erland Sommarskog

Apr 21, 2018, 5:11:20 AM4/21/18
Mark Brader (m...@vex.net) writes:
> 1. Published 1934. Just after midnight, a snowdrift stops the
> train in its tracks. The luxurious train is surprisingly full
> for the time of the year, but by morning there is one less
> passenger: an American tycoon lies dead in his compartment.
> Isolated and with a killer in their midst, detective Hercule
> Poirot must identify the murderer -- in case he or she decides
> to strike again.

The Murder on the Orient Express

Dan Tilque

Apr 21, 2018, 12:05:12 PM4/21/18
Polar Express
Stornoway

> 3. What street does Parliament Hill front onto?
>
> 4. About 5 km away from the Ottawa River, the Rideau Canal opens
> into a large lake, surrounded by Commissioners Park and a
> namesake pavilion. What is the name of this lake?
>
> 5. What is the name of the French-gothic-styled hotel that's
> located at 1 Rideau St.?
>
> 6. What is the name of Ottawa's main tourist market, where you
> can buy Beavertails, maple syrup, and Obama cookies?
>
> 7. What is the street that starts at the National War Memorial
> and heads roughly south, passing the British High Commission,
> the National Arts Centre, Confederation Park -- and a hotel
> named after the same person as the street? Hint: The hotel's
> name begins with "Lord".

Durham

--
Dan Tilque

Jason Kreitzer

Apr 21, 2018, 9:48:32 PM4/21/18
"Murder on the Orient Express"
> 2. Published 1950. This psychological thriller is about two men
> whose lives become entangled after one of them proposes they
> commit "murder for each other". One man has an unfaithful wife
> and wants to be with his lover. The other man has a wealthy
> father who refuses to give him money.
"Strangers on a Train"
> 3. First book published 1982. This series of 8 books describes a
> "gunslinger" and his quest, the nature of which is both physical
> and metaphorical. The main character, Roland of Gilead, travels
> through a series of caves which were once part of an underground
> railroad system. The characters also ride on a monorail with
> artificial intelligence. What is the name of the *series*?
>
> 4. Published 1906. This kids' story concerns a family who must
> move from a comfortable life in London to a house near the
> railway in Yorkshire after their father, falsely accused of
> spying, is imprisoned. The children befriend an Old Gentleman
> who regularly takes the 9:15 train near their home. As the
> story continues, the children help this man and he helps them.
>
> 5. Published 1985. A young boy, who is beginning to doubt the
> existence of Santa Claus, is awakened in the night by the sound
> of a train. To his astonishment, he finds the train is waiting
> for him.
>
> 6. Published 1975. This historical novel is the story of a massive
> gold heist, which takes place on a moving train in England
> in 1855.
>
> 7. Published 1957. In this novel, James Bond is the target of MGB
> killer Grant. The Russians use a beautiful woman, Tatiana,
> to lure Bond out of London. It works: he rushes to Istanbul
> in order to help her defect to Britain. Bond wants to take her
> to Britain by plane, but Tatiana insists on the Orient Express.
"From Russia With Love"
> 8. Published 1878. The tragic story of a married socialite and
> her affair with an affluent royal. Through the lives and
> excesses of her extended wealthy family, it explores the extreme
> changes occurring in society as well as timeless themes such as
> love, marriage, jealousy, and death. Train travel is arguably
> the most prominent motif of the story.
>
> 9. Published 1924. This kids' story is about four children --
> Henry, Jessie, Violet, and Benny Alden -- who create a home in
> the forest in an abandoned train car. Their parents are dead,
> and the children are on the run from a mean grandfather they've
> never met.
>
> 10. Published 1908. This kids' novel focuses on four anthropo-
> morphized animals in a pastoral version of Edwardian England.
> In one chapter, Toad escapes from prison disguised as
> a washerwoman. Though free again, he is without money or
> possessions. He manages to board a railway engine manned by
> a sympathetic driver, which is then pursued by a special train
> loaded with policemen, detectives, and prison warders.
"The Wind in the Willows"?

Calvin

Apr 22, 2018, 10:59:49 PM4/22/18
Murder on the Orient Express

> 2. Published 1950. This psychological thriller is about two men
> whose lives become entangled after one of them proposes they
> commit "murder for each other". One man has an unfaithful wife
> and wants to be with his lover. The other man has a wealthy
> father who refuses to give him money.
>
> 3. First book published 1982. This series of 8 books describes a
> "gunslinger" and his quest, the nature of which is both physical
> and metaphorical. The main character, Roland of Gilead, travels
> through a series of caves which were once part of an underground
> railroad system. The characters also ride on a monorail with
> artificial intelligence. What is the name of the *series*?
>
> 4. Published 1906. This kids' story concerns a family who must
> move from a comfortable life in London to a house near the
> railway in Yorkshire after their father, falsely accused of
> spying, is imprisoned. The children befriend an Old Gentleman
> who regularly takes the 9:15 train near their home. As the
> story continues, the children help this man and he helps them.

The Railway Children

> 5. Published 1985. A young boy, who is beginning to doubt the
> existence of Santa Claus, is awakened in the night by the sound
> of a train. To his astonishment, he finds the train is waiting
> for him.

The Polar Express

> 6. Published 1975. This historical novel is the story of a massive
> gold heist, which takes place on a moving train in England
> in 1855.

The Great Train Robbery
A pure guess, but surely they wouldn't appropriate that already taken title in such a way???

> 7. Published 1957. In this novel, James Bond is the target of MGB
> killer Grant. The Russians use a beautiful woman, Tatiana,
> to lure Bond out of London. It works: he rushes to Istanbul
> in order to help her defect to Britain. Bond wants to take her
> to Britain by plane, but Tatiana insists on the Orient Express.

From Russia With Love

> 8. Published 1878. The tragic story of a married socialite and
> her affair with an affluent royal. Through the lives and
> excesses of her extended wealthy family, it explores the extreme
> changes occurring in society as well as timeless themes such as
> love, marriage, jealousy, and death. Train travel is arguably
> the most prominent motif of the story.

Anna Karenina

> 9. Published 1924. This kids' story is about four children --
> Henry, Jessie, Violet, and Benny Alden -- who create a home in
> the forest in an abandoned train car. Their parents are dead,
> and the children are on the run from a mean grandfather they've
> never met.

The Railway Children

> 10. Published 1908. This kids' novel focuses on four anthropo-
> morphized animals in a pastoral version of Edwardian England.
> In one chapter, Toad escapes from prison disguised as
> a washerwoman. Though free again, he is without money or
> possessions. He manages to board a railway engine manned by
> a sympathetic driver, which is then pursued by a special train
> loaded with policemen, detectives, and prison warders.

The Wind in the Willows

> * Game 6, Round 3 - Canadiana Geography - Ottawa

Pass

cheers,
calvin

Mark Brader

Apr 23, 2018, 12:30:17 AM4/23/18
Mark Brader:
> > 6. Published 1975. This historical novel is the story of a massive
> > gold heist, which takes place on a moving train in England
> > in 1855.

"Calvin":
> The Great Train Robbery
> A pure guess, but surely they wouldn't appropriate that already taken
> title in such a way???

Already taken by an event that occurred 108 years later?
--
Mark Brader | "...one of the main causes of the fall of the Roman
Toronto | Empire was that, lacking zero, they had no way to
| -- Robert Firth

Marc Dashevsky

Apr 23, 2018, 5:01:30 AM4/23/18
In article <UrydndPTWL6NWEfH...@giganews.com>, m...@vex.net says...
> * Game 6, Round 2 - Literature - Train Tales
>
> This round is about books featuring, or set (at least in part)
> on, trains. Some of these books have also been adapted as movies.
> The dates shown are the date of first publication in book form.
> Unless otherwise indicated, give the title of the book.
>
> 1. Published 1934. Just after midnight, a snowdrift stops the
> train in its tracks. The luxurious train is surprisingly full
> for the time of the year, but by morning there is one less
> passenger: an American tycoon lies dead in his compartment.
> Isolated and with a killer in their midst, detective Hercule
> Poirot must identify the murderer -- in case he or she decides
> to strike again.
Murder On The Orient Express

> 2. Published 1950. This psychological thriller is about two men
> whose lives become entangled after one of them proposes they
> commit "murder for each other". One man has an unfaithful wife
> and wants to be with his lover. The other man has a wealthy
> father who refuses to give him money.
>
> 3. First book published 1982. This series of 8 books describes a
> "gunslinger" and his quest, the nature of which is both physical
> and metaphorical. The main character, Roland of Gilead, travels
> through a series of caves which were once part of an underground
> railroad system. The characters also ride on a monorail with
> artificial intelligence. What is the name of the *series*?
>
> 4. Published 1906. This kids' story concerns a family who must
> move from a comfortable life in London to a house near the
> railway in Yorkshire after their father, falsely accused of
> spying, is imprisoned. The children befriend an Old Gentleman
> who regularly takes the 9:15 train near their home. As the
> story continues, the children help this man and he helps them.
>
> 5. Published 1985. A young boy, who is beginning to doubt the
> existence of Santa Claus, is awakened in the night by the sound
> of a train. To his astonishment, he finds the train is waiting
> for him.
>
> 6. Published 1975. This historical novel is the story of a massive
> gold heist, which takes place on a moving train in England
> in 1855.
Great Train Robbery

> 7. Published 1957. In this novel, James Bond is the target of MGB
> killer Grant. The Russians use a beautiful woman, Tatiana,
> to lure Bond out of London. It works: he rushes to Istanbul
> in order to help her defect to Britain. Bond wants to take her
> to Britain by plane, but Tatiana insists on the Orient Express.
>
> 8. Published 1878. The tragic story of a married socialite and
> her affair with an affluent royal. Through the lives and
> excesses of her extended wealthy family, it explores the extreme
> changes occurring in society as well as timeless themes such as
> love, marriage, jealousy, and death. Train travel is arguably
> the most prominent motif of the story.
>
> 9. Published 1924. This kids' story is about four children --
> Henry, Jessie, Violet, and Benny Alden -- who create a home in
> the forest in an abandoned train car. Their parents are dead,
> and the children are on the run from a mean grandfather they've
> never met.
Boxcar Children

> 10. Published 1908. This kids' novel focuses on four anthropo-
> morphized animals in a pastoral version of Edwardian England.
> In one chapter, Toad escapes from prison disguised as
> a washerwoman. Though free again, he is without money or
> possessions. He manages to board a railway engine manned by
> a sympathetic driver, which is then pursued by a special train
> loaded with policemen, detectives, and prison warders.
The Wind In The Willows

Dan Blum

Apr 23, 2018, 10:10:30 PM4/23/18
Mark Brader <m...@vex.net> wrote:

> * Game 6, Round 2 - Literature - Train Tales

> 1. Published 1934. Just after midnight, a snowdrift stops the
> train in its tracks. The luxurious train is surprisingly full
> for the time of the year, but by morning there is one less
> passenger: an American tycoon lies dead in his compartment.
> Isolated and with a killer in their midst, detective Hercule
> Poirot must identify the murderer -- in case he or she decides
> to strike again.

Murder on the Orient Express

> 2. Published 1950. This psychological thriller is about two men
> whose lives become entangled after one of them proposes they
> commit "murder for each other". One man has an unfaithful wife
> and wants to be with his lover. The other man has a wealthy
> father who refuses to give him money.

Strangers on a Train

> 3. First book published 1982. This series of 8 books describes a
> "gunslinger" and his quest, the nature of which is both physical
> and metaphorical. The main character, Roland of Gilead, travels
> through a series of caves which were once part of an underground
> railroad system. The characters also ride on a monorail with
> artificial intelligence. What is the name of the *series*?

The Dark Tower

> 4. Published 1906. This kids' story concerns a family who must
> move from a comfortable life in London to a house near the
> railway in Yorkshire after their father, falsely accused of
> spying, is imprisoned. The children befriend an Old Gentleman
> who regularly takes the 9:15 train near their home. As the
> story continues, the children help this man and he helps them.

The Railway Children

> 5. Published 1985. A young boy, who is beginning to doubt the
> existence of Santa Claus, is awakened in the night by the sound
> of a train. To his astonishment, he finds the train is waiting
> for him.

The Polar Express

> 6. Published 1975. This historical novel is the story of a massive
> gold heist, which takes place on a moving train in England
> in 1855.

The Great Train Robbery

> 7. Published 1957. In this novel, James Bond is the target of MGB
> killer Grant. The Russians use a beautiful woman, Tatiana,
> to lure Bond out of London. It works: he rushes to Istanbul
> in order to help her defect to Britain. Bond wants to take her
> to Britain by plane, but Tatiana insists on the Orient Express.

From Russia With Love

> 8. Published 1878. The tragic story of a married socialite and
> her affair with an affluent royal. Through the lives and
> excesses of her extended wealthy family, it explores the extreme
> changes occurring in society as well as timeless themes such as
> love, marriage, jealousy, and death. Train travel is arguably
> the most prominent motif of the story.

Anna Karenina

> 9. Published 1924. This kids' story is about four children --
> Henry, Jessie, Violet, and Benny Alden -- who create a home in
> the forest in an abandoned train car. Their parents are dead,
> and the children are on the run from a mean grandfather they've
> never met.

The Boxcar Children

> 10. Published 1908. This kids' novel focuses on four anthropo-
> morphized animals in a pastoral version of Edwardian England.
> In one chapter, Toad escapes from prison disguised as
> a washerwoman. Though free again, he is without money or
> possessions. He manages to board a railway engine manned by
> a sympathetic driver, which is then pursued by a special train
> loaded with policemen, detectives, and prison warders.

The Wind in the Willows

Dan Blum to...@panix.com

Mark Brader

Apr 24, 2018, 2:00:14 AM4/24/18
These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2018-02-26,
and should be interpreted accordingly.

Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
the correct answers in about 3 days.

All questions were written by members of Bill Psychs and are
used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have
been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information see
my 2017-09-25 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

> * Game 6, Round 2 - Literature - Train Tales

> This round is about books featuring, or set (at least in part)
> on, trains. Some of these books have also been adapted as movies.

In fact, *all* of them have have been adapted at least either once
for TV or as movies -- in several cases, for both media. Counting
movies and TV-movies alone (and not TV series or miniseries, or
episodes), there have been more than 20 adaptations of these 10 books
or series. All of which no doubt explains why this was the easiest
round in the original game.

> The dates shown are the date of first publication in book form.
> Unless otherwise indicated, give the title of the book.

> 1. Published 1934. Just after midnight, a snowdrift stops the
> train in its tracks. The luxurious train is surprisingly full
> for the time of the year, but by morning there is one less
> passenger: an American tycoon lies dead in his compartment.
> Isolated and with a killer in their midst, detective Hercule
> Poirot must identify the murderer -- in case he or she decides
> to strike again.

"Murder on the Orient Express" by Agatha Christie. 4 for Pete,
Joshua, Peter, Erland, Jason, Calvin, Marc, and Dan Blum.

> 2. Published 1950. This psychological thriller is about two men
> whose lives become entangled after one of them proposes they
> commit "murder for each other". One man has an unfaithful wife
> and wants to be with his lover. The other man has a wealthy
> father who refuses to give him money.

"Strangers on a Train" by Patricia Highsmith. 4 for Joshua, Jason,
and Dan Blum.

> 3. First book published 1982. This series of 8 books describes a
> "gunslinger" and his quest, the nature of which is both physical
> and metaphorical. The main character, Roland of Gilead, travels
> through a series of caves which were once part of an underground
> railroad system. The characters also ride on a monorail with
> artificial intelligence. What is the name of the *series*?

"The Dark Tower" by Stephen King. 4 for Joshua and Dan Blum.

> 4. Published 1906. This kids' story concerns a family who must
> move from a comfortable life in London to a house near the
> railway in Yorkshire after their father, falsely accused of
> spying, is imprisoned. The children befriend an Old Gentleman
> who regularly takes the 9:15 train near their home. As the
> story continues, the children help this man and he helps them.

"The Railway Children" by Edith Nesbit. 4 for Joshua, Peter, Calvin,
and Dan Blum.

> 5. Published 1985. A young boy, who is beginning to doubt the
> existence of Santa Claus, is awakened in the night by the sound
> of a train. To his astonishment, he finds the train is waiting
> for him.

"The Polar Express" by Chris Van Allsburg. 4 for Pete, Joshua,
Dan Tilque, Calvin, and Dan Blum.

> 6. Published 1975. This historical novel is the story of a massive
> gold heist, which takes place on a moving train in England
> in 1855.

"The Great Train Robbery" by Michael Crichton. 4 for Calvin, Marc,
and Dan Blum. 3 for Joshua (the hard way).

The novel was based on a real crime, but very loosely -- most of
the details are pure fiction. For the 1979 movie version, the
title used in the UK was "The First Great Train Robbery", as the
other title might have been taken to refer to another real crime
from 1963, but the book was not retitled, so that title was only
"almost correct" here.

> 7. Published 1957. In this novel, James Bond is the target of MGB
> killer Grant. The Russians use a beautiful woman, Tatiana,
> to lure Bond out of London. It works: he rushes to Istanbul
> in order to help her defect to Britain. Bond wants to take her
> to Britain by plane, but Tatiana insists on the Orient Express.

"From Russia with Love" by Ian Fleming. 4 for Joshua, Jason, Calvin,
and Dan Blum.

> 8. Published 1878. The tragic story of a married socialite and
> her affair with an affluent royal. Through the lives and
> excesses of her extended wealthy family, it explores the extreme
> changes occurring in society as well as timeless themes such as
> love, marriage, jealousy, and death. Train travel is arguably
> the most prominent motif of the story.

"Anna Karenina" by Leo Tolstoy. 4 for Joshua, Calvin, and Dan Blum.

> 9. Published 1924. This kids' story is about four children --
> Henry, Jessie, Violet, and Benny Alden -- who create a home in
> the forest in an abandoned train car. Their parents are dead,
> and the children are on the run from a mean grandfather they've
> never met.

"The Boxcar Children" by Gertrude Chandler Warner. 4 for Marc
and Dan Blum.

> 10. Published 1908. This kids' novel focuses on four anthropo-
> morphized animals in a pastoral version of Edwardian England.
> In one chapter, Toad escapes from prison disguised as
> a washerwoman. Though free again, he is without money or
> possessions. He manages to board a railway engine manned by
> a sympathetic driver, which is then pursued by a special train
> loaded with policemen, detectives, and prison warders.

"The Wind in the Willows" by Kenneth Grahame. 4 for Joshua, Jason,
Calvin, Marc, and Dan Blum.

> * Game 6, Round 3 - Canadiana Geography - Ottawa

> See if you can answer these questions about our nation's capital.

Nobody could, although a couple of guesses were posted. So this
round never happened and Game 6 will now be scored on your best
5 rounds out of 7.

> 1. What park lies north and east of the Rideau Canal where the
> canal enters the Ottawa River?

Major's Hill Park.

> 2. What the Governor General's official residence in Ottawa named?

Rideau Hall.

> 3. What street does Parliament Hill front onto?

Wellington St.

> 4. About 5 km away from the Ottawa River, the Rideau Canal opens
> into a large lake, surrounded by Commissioners Park and a
> namesake pavilion. What is the name of this lake?

Dow's Lake.

> 5. What is the name of the French-gothic-styled hotel that's
> located at 1 Rideau St.?

Chateau Laurier.

> 6. What is the name of Ottawa's main tourist market, where you
> can buy Beavertails, maple syrup, and Obama cookies?

Byward Market.

> 7. What is the street that starts at the National War Memorial
> and heads roughly south, passing the British High Commission,
> the National Arts Centre, Confederation Park -- and a hotel
> named after the same person as the street? Hint: The hotel's
> name begins with "Lord".

Elgin St.

It was in the news the same day as the original game. Apparently
there's a plan to renovate it with wide sidewalks and reduced space
for road traffic, which will involve closing the street altogether
for a period of months.

> 8. Name either street that the US embassy fronts onto.

Sussex Dr., Mackenzie Av.

> 9. In which neighborhood south of downtown are Lansdowne Park and
> the TD Place football stadium located? Hint: it's a 5-letter
> word.

(The) Glebe.

> 10. What is the *current* name of the arena in Kanata where the
> Ottawa Senators play?

Canadian Tire Centre.

Now you know!

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAME 6 ROUND-> 2
TOPIC-> Lit
Dan Blum 40
Joshua Kreitzer 35
"Calvin" 28
Jason Kreitzer 16
Marc Dashevsky 16
Pete Gayde 8
Peter Smyth 8
Dan Tilque 4
Erland Sommarskog 4

--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "The brain is amazing when it's amazing, with
m...@vex.net | apologies to Robert Biddle." --Steve Summit

Calvin

Apr 26, 2018, 9:38:55 PM4/26/18
On Monday, April 23, 2018 at 2:30:17 PM UTC+10, Mark Brader wrote:
> Mark Brader:
> > > 6. Published 1975. This historical novel is the story of a massive
> > > gold heist, which takes place on a moving train in England
> > > in 1855.
>
> "Calvin":
> > The Great Train Robbery
> > A pure guess, but surely they wouldn't appropriate that already taken
> > title in such a way???
>
> Already taken by an event that occurred 108 years later?

But well before publication.

cheers,
calvin

Mark Brader

Apr 26, 2018, 11:02:58 PM4/26/18
Mark Brader:

"Calvin":
>>> The Great Train Robbery
>>> A pure guess, but surely they wouldn't appropriate that already taken
>>> title in such a way???

Mark Brader:
>> Already taken by an event that occurred 108 years later?

"Calvin":
> But well before publication.

Well, so was the actual theft in 1855!
--
Mark Brader | "We may take pride in observing that there is
Toronto | not a single film showing in London today which