QFTCIBP Current Events 5-6

Mark Brader

Feb 27, 2018, 4:13:38 AM2/27/18
These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on the date
indicated below, and should be interpreted accordingly. If any
answers have changed due to newer news, you are still expected to
give the answers that were correct on that date.

Please post all your answers in a single followup to the newsgroup,
the correct answers in about 3 days.

All questions were written by members of Bill Psychs and are
used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have
been retyped and/or edited by me. The posting and tabulation of
current-events questions is independent of the concurrent posting of
other rounds. For further information see my 2017-09-25 companion
posting on "Questions from the Canadian Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

* Game 5 (2018-02-12), Round 1 - Current Events

1. In the days leading up to its opening, organizers of the
PyeongChang Olympic Games were scrambling to replace security
guards. Why were many of those hired as guards not available?

2. While in town shooting a music video, what musician made
headlines in Miami this week for surprise charitable acts?
These included donations to a homeless shelter and high school,
paying the bills of everyone in a grocery store, and providing
a student with a $50,000 university scholarship.

3. What term did Prime Minister Justin Trudeau use this week,
saying it was "more inclusive", leading to accusations of being
too politically correct? He later stated that it was said as
a joke which did not play well out of context.

4. The Centre for Addiction and Mental Health (CAMH) has announced
a new research hub, the Azrieli Centre, for adults dealing with
*both* mental health and what other type of issues?

5. Archeologists using a high-tech aerial mapping technique have
found tens of thousands of previously undetected Mayan houses,
buildings, defense works, and pyramids in the dense jungle,
suggesting that millions more people lived there than previously
thought. Name the present-day country where they were found.

6. Escalating the inter-provincial spat over the Kinder Morgan
Trans-Mountain pipeline, on Tuesday Alberta Premier Rachel
Notley announced the almost immediate halt to purchases of what
British Columbia product?

7. This week, yet another musician has announced that he/she will
be retiring from touring. This announcement came in the form of
a letter posted to Twitter. Who?

8. Who was named this week as the captain of the Canadian Olympic
men's hockey team?

9. Esmond "Bradley" Martin, an American conservationist, was found
stabbed to death in his home. His dogged investigations of the
illegal trades of banned animal products were seen as critical
in efforts to protect the threatened species. Name either of
the two primary products he is known for investigating.

10. A SpaceX rocket blasted off from Cape Canaveral, Florida,
this week. Designed to be the most powerful rocket in use,
many hope it will make it easier to get humans past low Earth
orbit, back to the moon, and even to Mars. Give the full name
of this rocket.

* Game 6 (2018-02-26), Round 1 - Current Events

1. Tessa Virtue and Scott Moir won gold in the Olympic ice dance
competition. Their performance in the free skate was set to
music from a musical movie that includes a cover of a well-known
pop song. Name either the song or the movie.

2. Now that all is said and done, how many medals did Canada win
at the Olympic Winter Games in PyeongChang? It was the most
ever for Canada, and good enough for third place in total
medal standings.

3. What famous evangelist died this week at the age of 99?

4. What Ontario city declared an emergency this week because of
flooding from the Grand River?

5. What man was acquitted this week by a Winnipeg jury for the
murder of 14-year-old Tina Fontaine?

6. What rebel enclave in Syria was the subject of renewed air and
ground attacks by the Assad regime, leading to a UN Security
Council resolution for a ceasefire?

7. It was reported this week that managers at what provincial
ministry have been accused of bullying and abusive behavior
towards employees?

8. Former PC Party Leader Patrick Brown is trying to sue his way
back into relevance. Name the news broadcaster, or its owning
media company, that is the subject of his libel suit filed
this week.

9. A man who has been convicted of attempted murder was mistakenly
invited to a dinner reception during Justin Trudeau's poorly
perceived trip to India last week. Name him.

10. What 35-year-old center did the Toronto Maple Leafs receive
from the Montreal Canadiens in a trade on Sunday?

--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "It's been proven. Places stay clean until somebody
m...@vex.net | drops the first piece of litter." -- TTC poster

Erland Sommarskog

Feb 27, 2018, 4:37:01 AM2/27/18
Mark Brader (m...@vex.net) writes:
> 1. In the days leading up to its opening, organizers of the
> PyeongChang Olympic Games were scrambling to replace security
> guards. Why were many of those hired as guards not available?

They had been naughty and done something bad (but exactly what,
I don't remember.)

> 5. Archeologists using a high-tech aerial mapping technique have
> found tens of thousands of previously undetected Mayan houses,
> buildings, defense works, and pyramids in the dense jungle,
> suggesting that millions more people lived there than previously
> thought. Name the present-day country where they were found.

Guatemala

> * Game 6 (2018-02-26), Round 1 - Current Events
>
> 2. Now that all is said and done, how many medals did Canada win
> at the Olympic Winter Games in PyeongChang? It was the most
> ever for Canada, and good enough for third place in total
> medal standings.

11

(It was the most ever for Sweden as well, tied with 2006. And the
most ever for, well, that country next to us. They also took the
record for the total number of medals for any nation in the Winter
Olumpics.)

> 3. What famous evangelist died this week at the age of 99?

Billy Graham

> 6. What rebel enclave in Syria was the subject of renewed air and
> ground attacks by the Assad regime, leading to a UN Security
> Council resolution for a ceasefire?

Ghouta (Which is how it is transcribed in the Swedish press.

Dan Blum

Feb 27, 2018, 9:47:55 AM2/27/18
Mark Brader <m...@vex.net> wrote:

> * Game 5 (2018-02-12), Round 1 - Current Events

> 1. In the days leading up to its opening, organizers of the
> PyeongChang Olympic Games were scrambling to replace security
> guards. Why were many of those hired as guards not available?

they failed background checks

> 5. Archeologists using a high-tech aerial mapping technique have
> found tens of thousands of previously undetected Mayan houses,
> buildings, defense works, and pyramids in the dense jungle,
> suggesting that millions more people lived there than previously
> thought. Name the present-day country where they were found.

Mexico; Guatemala

> 6. Escalating the inter-provincial spat over the Kinder Morgan
> Trans-Mountain pipeline, on Tuesday Alberta Premier Rachel
> Notley announced the almost immediate halt to purchases of what
> British Columbia product?

timber

> 9. Esmond "Bradley" Martin, an American conservationist, was found
> stabbed to death in his home. His dogged investigations of the
> illegal trades of banned animal products were seen as critical
> in efforts to protect the threatened species. Name either of
> the two primary products he is known for investigating.

rhinoceros horn; elephant ivory

> * Game 6 (2018-02-26), Round 1 - Current Events

> 2. Now that all is said and done, how many medals did Canada win
> at the Olympic Winter Games in PyeongChang? It was the most
> ever for Canada, and good enough for third place in total
> medal standings.

35; 45

> 3. What famous evangelist died this week at the age of 99?

Billy Graham

Dan Blum to...@panix.com

Bruce Bowler

Feb 27, 2018, 10:01:59 AM2/27/18
On Tue, 27 Feb 2018 03:13:33 -0600, Mark Brader wrote:

> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on the date
> indicated below, and should be interpreted accordingly. If any answers
> have changed due to newer news, you are still expected to give the
> answers that were correct on that date.
>
> On each question you may give up to two answers, but if you give both a
> right answer and a wrong answer, there is a small penalty. Please post
> all your answers in a single followup to the newsgroup, based only on
> your own knowledge. (In your answer posting, quote the questions and
> place your answer below each one.) I will reveal the correct answers in
> about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of Bill Psychs and are used here
> by permission, but have been reformatted and may have been retyped
> and/or edited by me. The posting and tabulation of current-events
> questions is independent of the concurrent posting of other rounds. For
> further information see my 2017-09-25 companion posting on "Questions
> from the Canadian Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>

> * Game 5 (2018-02-12), Round 1 - Current Events
>
> 1. In the days leading up to its opening, organizers of the
> PyeongChang Olympic Games were scrambling to replace security guards.
> Why were many of those hired as guards not available?

Noro virus

> 2. While in town shooting a music video, what musician made
> headlines in Miami this week for surprise charitable acts? These
> included donations to a homeless shelter and high school, paying the
> bills of everyone in a grocery store, and providing a student with a
> $50,000 university scholarship.
>
> 3. What term did Prime Minister Justin Trudeau use this week,
> saying it was "more inclusive", leading to accusations of being too
> politically correct? He later stated that it was said as a joke
> which did not play well out of context.
>
> 4. The Centre for Addiction and Mental Health (CAMH) has announced
> a new research hub, the Azrieli Centre, for adults dealing with
> *both* mental health and what other type of issues?
>
> 5. Archeologists using a high-tech aerial mapping technique have
> found tens of thousands of previously undetected Mayan houses,
> buildings, defense works, and pyramids in the dense jungle,
> suggesting that millions more people lived there than previously
> thought. Name the present-day country where they were found.

Guatemala

> 6. Escalating the inter-provincial spat over the Kinder Morgan
> Trans-Mountain pipeline, on Tuesday Alberta Premier Rachel Notley
> announced the almost immediate halt to purchases of what British
> Columbia product?

lumber

> 7. This week, yet another musician has announced that he/she will
> be retiring from touring. This announcement came in the form of a
> letter posted to Twitter. Who?

Paul Simon

> 8. Who was named this week as the captain of the Canadian Olympic
> men's hockey team?
>
> 9. Esmond "Bradley" Martin, an American conservationist, was found
> stabbed to death in his home. His dogged investigations of the
> illegal trades of banned animal products were seen as critical in
> efforts to protect the threatened species. Name either of the two
> primary products he is known for investigating.
>
> 10. A SpaceX rocket blasted off from Cape Canaveral, Florida,
> this week. Designed to be the most powerful rocket in use, many hope
> it will make it easier to get humans past low Earth orbit, back to
> the moon, and even to Mars. Give the full name of this rocket.

Falcon Heavy

> * Game 6 (2018-02-26), Round 1 - Current Events
>
> 1. Tessa Virtue and Scott Moir won gold in the Olympic ice dance
> competition. Their performance in the free skate was set to music
> from a musical movie that includes a cover of a well-known pop song.
> Name either the song or the movie.

Roxanne

> 2. Now that all is said and done, how many medals did Canada win
> at the Olympic Winter Games in PyeongChang? It was the most ever for
> Canada, and good enough for third place in total medal standings.

21

> 3. What famous evangelist died this week at the age of 99?

Billy Graham

Dan Tilque

Feb 27, 2018, 11:54:31 AM2/27/18
Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 5 (2018-02-12), Round 1 - Current Events
>
> 1. In the days leading up to its opening, organizers of the
> PyeongChang Olympic Games were scrambling to replace security
> guards. Why were many of those hired as guards not available?

called up for military duty

> 2. While in town shooting a music video, what musician made
> headlines in Miami this week for surprise charitable acts?
> These included donations to a homeless shelter and high school,
> paying the bills of everyone in a grocery store, and providing
> a student with a $50,000 university scholarship.
>
> 3. What term did Prime Minister Justin Trudeau use this week,
> saying it was "more inclusive", leading to accusations of being
> too politically correct? He later stated that it was said as
> a joke which did not play well out of context.
>
> 4. The Centre for Addiction and Mental Health (CAMH) has announced
> a new research hub, the Azrieli Centre, for adults dealing with
> *both* mental health and what other type of issues?
>
> 5. Archeologists using a high-tech aerial mapping technique have
> found tens of thousands of previously undetected Mayan houses,
> buildings, defense works, and pyramids in the dense jungle,
> suggesting that millions more people lived there than previously
> thought. Name the present-day country where they were found.

Honduras

> 6. Escalating the inter-provincial spat over the Kinder Morgan
> Trans-Mountain pipeline, on Tuesday Alberta Premier Rachel
> Notley announced the almost immediate halt to purchases of what
> British Columbia product?
>
> 7. This week, yet another musician has announced that he/she will
> be retiring from touring. This announcement came in the form of
> a letter posted to Twitter. Who?
>
> 8. Who was named this week as the captain of the Canadian Olympic
> men's hockey team?
>
> 9. Esmond "Bradley" Martin, an American conservationist, was found
> stabbed to death in his home. His dogged investigations of the
> illegal trades of banned animal products were seen as critical
> in efforts to protect the threatened species. Name either of
> the two primary products he is known for investigating.

rhino horns

> 10. A SpaceX rocket blasted off from Cape Canaveral, Florida,
> this week. Designed to be the most powerful rocket in use,
> many hope it will make it easier to get humans past low Earth
> orbit, back to the moon, and even to Mars. Give the full name
> of this rocket.

Falcon Heavy

> * Game 6 (2018-02-26), Round 1 - Current Events
>
> 1. Tessa Virtue and Scott Moir won gold in the Olympic ice dance
> competition. Their performance in the free skate was set to
> music from a musical movie that includes a cover of a well-known
> pop song. Name either the song or the movie.
>
> 2. Now that all is said and done, how many medals did Canada win
> at the Olympic Winter Games in PyeongChang? It was the most
> ever for Canada, and good enough for third place in total
> medal standings.
>
> 3. What famous evangelist died this week at the age of 99?

Billy Graham

> 4. What Ontario city declared an emergency this week because of
> flooding from the Grand River?
>
> 5. What man was acquitted this week by a Winnipeg jury for the
> murder of 14-year-old Tina Fontaine?
>
> 6. What rebel enclave in Syria was the subject of renewed air and
> ground attacks by the Assad regime, leading to a UN Security
> Council resolution for a ceasefire?
>
> 7. It was reported this week that managers at what provincial
> ministry have been accused of bullying and abusive behavior
> towards employees?
>
> 8. Former PC Party Leader Patrick Brown is trying to sue his way
> back into relevance. Name the news broadcaster, or its owning
> media company, that is the subject of his libel suit filed
> this week.
>
> 9. A man who has been convicted of attempted murder was mistakenly
> invited to a dinner reception during Justin Trudeau's poorly
> perceived trip to India last week. Name him.
>
> 10. What 35-year-old center did the Toronto Maple Leafs receive
> from the Montreal Canadiens in a trade on Sunday?

--
Dan Tilque

Pete Gayde

Feb 28, 2018, 3:26:11 PM2/28/18
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:c6adna2QPY6gvAjHnZ2dnUU7-
fvN...@giganews.com:

> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on the date
> indicated below, and should be interpreted accordingly. If any
> answers have changed due to newer news, you are still expected to
> give the answers that were correct on that date.

> Please post all your answers in a single followup to the newsgroup,
> the correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of Bill Psychs and are
> used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have
> been retyped and/or edited by me. The posting and tabulation of
> current-events questions is independent of the concurrent posting of
> other rounds. For further information see my 2017-09-25 companion
> posting on "Questions from the Canadian Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>

> * Game 5 (2018-02-12), Round 1 - Current Events
>
> 1. In the days leading up to its opening, organizers of the
> PyeongChang Olympic Games were scrambling to replace security
> guards. Why were many of those hired as guards not available?

They were in jail

> 2. While in town shooting a music video, what musician made
> headlines in Miami this week for surprise charitable acts?
> These included donations to a homeless shelter and high school,
> paying the bills of everyone in a grocery store, and providing
> a student with a $50,000 university scholarship.
>
> 3. What term did Prime Minister Justin Trudeau use this week,
> saying it was "more inclusive", leading to accusations of being
> too politically correct? He later stated that it was said as
> a joke which did not play well out of context.
>
> 4. The Centre for Addiction and Mental Health (CAMH) has announced
> a new research hub, the Azrieli Centre, for adults dealing with
> *both* mental health and what other type of issues?
>
> 5. Archeologists using a high-tech aerial mapping technique have
> found tens of thousands of previously undetected Mayan houses,
> buildings, defense works, and pyramids in the dense jungle,
> suggesting that millions more people lived there than previously
> thought. Name the present-day country where they were found.

Mexico; Costa Rica

> 6. Escalating the inter-provincial spat over the Kinder Morgan
> Trans-Mountain pipeline, on Tuesday Alberta Premier Rachel
> Notley announced the almost immediate halt to purchases of what
> British Columbia product?
>
> 7. This week, yet another musician has announced that he/she will
> be retiring from touring. This announcement came in the form of
> a letter posted to Twitter. Who?
>
> 8. Who was named this week as the captain of the Canadian Olympic
> men's hockey team?
>
> 9. Esmond "Bradley" Martin, an American conservationist, was found
> stabbed to death in his home. His dogged investigations of the
> illegal trades of banned animal products were seen as critical
> in efforts to protect the threatened species. Name either of
> the two primary products he is known for investigating.

Ivory

> 10. A SpaceX rocket blasted off from Cape Canaveral, Florida,
> this week. Designed to be the most powerful rocket in use,
> many hope it will make it easier to get humans past low Earth
> orbit, back to the moon, and even to Mars. Give the full name
> of this rocket.

SpaceX Heavy

> * Game 6 (2018-02-26), Round 1 - Current Events
>
> 1. Tessa Virtue and Scott Moir won gold in the Olympic ice dance
> competition. Their performance in the free skate was set to
> music from a musical movie that includes a cover of a well-known
> pop song. Name either the song or the movie.

Moulin Rouge

> 2. Now that all is said and done, how many medals did Canada win
> at the Olympic Winter Games in PyeongChang? It was the most
> ever for Canada, and good enough for third place in total
> medal standings.

26; 25

> 3. What famous evangelist died this week at the age of 99?

Billy Graham

> 4. What Ontario city declared an emergency this week because of
> flooding from the Grand River?

London

> 5. What man was acquitted this week by a Winnipeg jury for the
> murder of 14-year-old Tina Fontaine?
>
> 6. What rebel enclave in Syria was the subject of renewed air and
> ground attacks by the Assad regime, leading to a UN Security
> Council resolution for a ceasefire?

Gouta

> 7. It was reported this week that managers at what provincial
> ministry have been accused of bullying and abusive behavior
> towards employees?
>
> 8. Former PC Party Leader Patrick Brown is trying to sue his way
> back into relevance. Name the news broadcaster, or its owning
> media company, that is the subject of his libel suit filed
> this week.
>
> 9. A man who has been convicted of attempted murder was mistakenly
> invited to a dinner reception during Justin Trudeau's poorly
> perceived trip to India last week. Name him.
>
> 10. What 35-year-old center did the Toronto Maple Leafs receive
> from the Montreal Canadiens in a trade on Sunday?

Pete Gayde

Joshua Kreitzer

Mar 1, 2018, 1:02:55 AM3/1/18
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:c6adna2QPY6gvAjHnZ2dnUU7-
fvN...@giganews.com:

> * Game 5 (2018-02-12), Round 1 - Current Events
>
> 2. While in town shooting a music video, what musician made
> headlines in Miami this week for surprise charitable acts?
> These included donations to a homeless shelter and high school,
> paying the bills of everyone in a grocery store, and providing
> a student with a $50,000 university scholarship.

Pitbull

> 3. What term did Prime Minister Justin Trudeau use this week,
> saying it was "more inclusive", leading to accusations of being
> too politically correct? He later stated that it was said as
> a joke which did not play well out of context.

peoplekind

> 4. The Centre for Addiction and Mental Health (CAMH) has announced
> a new research hub, the Azrieli Centre, for adults dealing with
> *both* mental health and what other type of issues?

substance abuse

> 5. Archeologists using a high-tech aerial mapping technique have
> found tens of thousands of previously undetected Mayan houses,
> buildings, defense works, and pyramids in the dense jungle,
> suggesting that millions more people lived there than previously
> thought. Name the present-day country where they were found.

Guatemala; Mexico

> 7. This week, yet another musician has announced that he/she will
> be retiring from touring. This announcement came in the form of
> a letter posted to Twitter. Who?

Neil Diamond; Joan Baez

> * Game 6 (2018-02-26), Round 1 - Current Events
>
> 2. Now that all is said and done, how many medals did Canada win
> at the Olympic Winter Games in PyeongChang? It was the most
> ever for Canada, and good enough for third place in total
> medal standings.

30

> 3. What famous evangelist died this week at the age of 99?

Billy Graham

--
Joshua Kreitzer
grom...@hotmail.com

Mark Brader

Mar 2, 2018, 3:46:23 AM3/2/18
Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on the
> date indicated below, and should be interpreted accordingly.
> If any answers have changed due to newer news, you are still
> expected to give the answers that were correct on that date...
> For further information see my 2017-09-25 companion posting on
> "Questions from the Canadian Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

> * Game 5 (2018-02-12), Round 1 - Current Events

> 1. In the days leading up to its opening, organizers of the
> PyeongChang Olympic Games were scrambling to replace security
> guards. Why were many of those hired as guards not available?

An outbreak of illness (specifically norovirus, but this was not
required). 4 for Bruce.

> 2. While in town shooting a music video, what musician made
> headlines in Miami this week for surprise charitable acts?
> These included donations to a homeless shelter and high school,
> paying the bills of everyone in a grocery store, and providing
> a student with a $50,000 university scholarship.

Drake (Aubrey Drake Graham).

> 3. What term did Prime Minister Justin Trudeau use this week,
> saying it was "more inclusive", leading to accusations of being
> too politically correct? He later stated that it was said as
> a joke which did not play well out of context.

"Peoplekind". 4 for Joshua.

> 4. The Centre for Addiction and Mental Health (CAMH) has announced
> a new research hub, the Azrieli Centre, for adults dealing with
> *both* mental health and what other type of issues?

Neuro-developmental challenges, e.g. learning disabilities.

> 5. Archeologists using a high-tech aerial mapping technique have
> found tens of thousands of previously undetected Mayan houses,
> buildings, defense works, and pyramids in the dense jungle,
> suggesting that millions more people lived there than previously
> thought. Name the present-day country where they were found.

Guatemala. 4 for Erland and Bruce. 3 for Joshua. 2 for Dan Blum.

> 6. Escalating the inter-provincial spat over the Kinder Morgan
> Trans-Mountain pipeline, on Tuesday Alberta Premier Rachel
> Notley announced the almost immediate halt to purchases of what
> British Columbia product?

Wine.

> 7. This week, yet another musician has announced that he/she will
> be retiring from touring. This announcement came in the form of
> a letter posted to Twitter. Who?

Paul Simon. 4 for Bruce.

> 8. Who was named this week as the captain of the Canadian Olympic
> men's hockey team?

Chris Kelly.

> 9. Esmond "Bradley" Martin, an American conservationist, was found
> stabbed to death in his home. His dogged investigations of the
> illegal trades of banned animal products were seen as critical
> in efforts to protect the threatened species. Name either of
> the two primary products he is known for investigating.

Elephant tusks/ivory, rhino horns. 4 for Dan Blum (the hard way),
Dan Tilque, and Pete.

> 10. A SpaceX rocket blasted off from Cape Canaveral, Florida,
> this week. Designed to be the most powerful rocket in use,
> many hope it will make it easier to get humans past low Earth
> orbit, back to the moon, and even to Mars. Give the full name
> of this rocket.

Falcon Heavy. (Both words required.) 4 for Bruce and Dan Tilque.

> * Game 6 (2018-02-26), Round 1 - Current Events

> 1. Tessa Virtue and Scott Moir won gold in the Olympic ice dance
> competition. Their performance in the free skate was set to
> music from a musical movie that includes a cover of a well-known
> pop song. Name either the song or the movie.

Roxanne, from "Moulin Rouge". 4 for Bruce and Pete.

> 2. Now that all is said and done, how many medals did Canada win
> at the Olympic Winter Games in PyeongChang? It was the most
> ever for Canada, and good enough for third place in total
> medal standings.

29. Joshua was closest, but you had to be exact.

> 3. What famous evangelist died this week at the age of 99?

Billy Graham. 4 for everyone -- Erland, Dan Blum, Bruce, Dan Tilque,
Pete, and Joshua.

> 4. What Ontario city declared an emergency this week because of
> flooding from the Grand River?

Brantford.

> 5. What man was acquitted this week by a Winnipeg jury for the
> murder of 14-year-old Tina Fontaine?

Raymond Cormier.

> 6. What rebel enclave in Syria was the subject of renewed air and
> ground attacks by the Assad regime, leading to a UN Security
> Council resolution for a ceasefire?

Eastern Ghouta. "Ghouta" was sufficient. 4 for Erland and Pete.

> 7. It was reported this week that managers at what provincial
> ministry have been accused of bullying and abusive behavior
> towards employees?

Ministry of the Attorney General.

> 8. Former PC Party Leader Patrick Brown is trying to sue his way
> back into relevance. Name the news broadcaster, or its owning
> media company, that is the subject of his libel suit filed
> this week.

CTV, Bell.

> 9. A man who has been convicted of attempted murder was mistakenly
> invited to a dinner reception during Justin Trudeau's poorly
> perceived trip to India last week. Name him.

Jaspal Atwal.

> 10. What 35-year-old center did the Toronto Maple Leafs receive
> from the Montreal Canadiens in a trade on Sunday?

Tomas Plekanec.

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAMES-> 1 2 3 4 5 6 BEST FOUR
Pete Gayde 12 12 22 24 4 12 70
Dan Blum 20 8 15 20 6 4 63
Joshua Kreitzer 18 12 8 19 7 4 57
Bruce Bowler -- -- 12 12 16 8 48
Dan Tilque 8 12 8 16 8 4 44
Marc Dashevsky 12 4 8 16 -- -- 40
Peter Smyth 8 12 12 4 -- -- 36
Erland Sommarskog 12 7 4 8 4 8 35

--
Mark Brader, Toronto, m...@vex.net
non-resident pedant

Marc Dashevsky

Mar 2, 2018, 11:05:59 AM3/2/18
In article <c6adna2QPY6gvAjH...@giganews.com>, m...@vex.net says...
> * Game 5 (2018-02-12), Round 1 - Current Events
>
> 1. In the days leading up to its opening, organizers of the
> PyeongChang Olympic Games were scrambling to replace security
> guards. Why were many of those hired as guards not available?
>
> 2. While in town shooting a music video, what musician made
> headlines in Miami this week for surprise charitable acts?
> These included donations to a homeless shelter and high school,
> paying the bills of everyone in a grocery store, and providing
> a student with a $50,000 university scholarship.
>
> 3. What term did Prime Minister Justin Trudeau use this week,
> saying it was "more inclusive", leading to accusations of being
> too politically correct? He later stated that it was said as
> a joke which did not play well out of context.
>
> 4. The Centre for Addiction and Mental Health (CAMH) has announced
> a new research hub, the Azrieli Centre, for adults dealing with
> *both* mental health and what other type of issues?
>
> 5. Archeologists using a high-tech aerial mapping technique have
> found tens of thousands of previously undetected Mayan houses,
> buildings, defense works, and pyramids in the dense jungle,
> suggesting that millions more people lived there than previously
> thought. Name the present-day country where they were found.
Honduras

> 6. Escalating the inter-provincial spat over the Kinder Morgan
> Trans-Mountain pipeline, on Tuesday Alberta Premier Rachel
> Notley announced the almost immediate halt to purchases of what
> British Columbia product?
>
> 7. This week, yet another musician has announced that he/she will
> be retiring from touring. This announcement came in the form of
> a letter posted to Twitter. Who?
Elton John

> 8. Who was named this week as the captain of the Canadian Olympic
> men's hockey team?
>
> 9. Esmond "Bradley" Martin, an American conservationist, was found
> stabbed to death in his home. His dogged investigations of the
> illegal trades of banned animal products were seen as critical
> in efforts to protect the threatened species. Name either of
> the two primary products he is known for investigating.
ivory

> 10. A SpaceX rocket blasted off from Cape Canaveral, Florida,
> this week. Designed to be the most powerful rocket in use,
> many hope it will make it easier to get humans past low Earth
> orbit, back to the moon, and even to Mars. Give the full name
> of this rocket.
>

> * Game 6 (2018-02-26), Round 1 - Current Events
>
> 1. Tessa Virtue and Scott Moir won gold in the Olympic ice dance
> competition. Their performance in the free skate was set to
> music from a musical movie that includes a cover of a well-known
> pop song. Name either the song or the movie.
>
> 2. Now that all is said and done, how many medals did Canada win
> at the Olympic Winter Games in PyeongChang? It was the most
> ever for Canada, and good enough for third place in total
> medal standings.
>
> 3. What famous evangelist died this week at the age of 99?
Billy Graham

> 4. What Ontario city declared an emergency this week because of
> flooding from the Grand River?
>
> 5. What man was acquitted this week by a Winnipeg jury for the
> murder of 14-year-old Tina Fontaine?
>
> 6. What rebel enclave in Syria was the subject of renewed air and
> ground attacks by the Assad regime, leading to a UN Security
> Council resolution for a ceasefire?
>
> 7. It was reported this week that managers at what provincial
> ministry have been accused of bullying and abusive behavior
> towards employees?
>
> 8. Former PC Party Leader Patrick Brown is trying to sue his way
> back into relevance. Name the news broadcaster, or its owning
> media company, that is the subject of his libel suit filed
> this week.
>
> 9. A man who has been convicted of attempted murder was mistakenly
> invited to a dinner reception during Justin Trudeau's poorly
> perceived trip to India last week. Name him.
>
> 10. What 35-year-old center did the Toronto Maple Leafs receive
> from the Montreal Canadiens in a trade on Sunday?

Mark Brader

Mar 2, 2018, 3:54:06 PM3/2/18
If Marc Dashevsky had posted his answers on time, he would have
scored 4 points on each round.
--
Mark Brader | "It is in the nature of precaution
Toronto | that the more successful it is