QFTCI11 Game 8 Rounds 7-8: song cities, album covers

Mark Brader

Sep 29, 2011, 1:08:15 AM9/29/11
These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2011-03-14,
and should be interpreted accordingly.

Please post all your answers in a single followup to the newsgroup,
the correct answers in about 3 days. For further information see
my 2011-09-22 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
Inquisition (QFTCI11, QFTCIMM)".

I did not write either of these rounds.

* Game 8, Round 7 - Cities in Song

In this round we're going to look at US cities celebrated in song.
Using the handout map http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/0807/song.png
as a reference, we will give you a city letter and three or four
singers or bands that have each recorded different songs with
forms of its name in the title.

For questions #1-7, all we want from you is the name of the city.

1. City A -- the Animals; Scott McKenzie; Tony Bennett.

2. City C -- the Doors; Randy Newman; Wang Chung; Cheech Marin.

3. City D -- Elvis Presley; Sheryl Crow; Katy Perry.

4. City H -- Roger Miller; Wilbert Harrison; the Beatles; Lee Dixon.

5. City I -- Johnny Rivers; Marc Cohn; Jerry Lee Lewis.

6. City L -- Johnny Horton; Arlo Guthrie; the Tragically Hip.

7. City U -- Bruce Springsteen; Neil Young; Elton John.

Questions #8-10 all relate to City Y. You must give either the
name of the city or a specific part of it, *whichever is mentioned
in the titles*.

8. The Ad Libs; Sting; Frank Sinatra.

9. Beastie Boys; Jay-Z; Neil Diamond.

10. The Rolling Stones; Ben E. King; U2.

The remaining cities have each also been celebrated in song at least
once. (More or less, anyway -- W and X actually both represent the
same place name.) Name them if you like for fun, but for no points.

11. City B.
12. City E.
13. City F.
14. City G.
15. City J.
16. City K.
17. City M.
18. City N.
19. City O.
20. City P.
21. City Q.
22. City R.
23. City S.
24. City T.
25. City V.
26. City W or X.
27. City Z.

* Game 8, Round 8 - Album Covers

And now, another music round, which is also another arts and
literature round. The album cover as an art form reached its peak
in the heyday of LPs and may now be in terminal decline in the era
of downloads. But back in 1991, Rolling Stone magazine selected
the 100 greatest covers of all time. On our handout

http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/0808/album.jpg

are 20 of them. On each question, name the singer or band, as
applicable, whose album is shown. We have, of course, removed
some of the lettering.

1. Cover A.
2. Cover C.
3. Cover F.
4. Cover G.
5. Cover I.
6. Cover J.
7. Cover K.
8. Cover N.
9. Cover P.
10. Cover R.

Now identify the singer or band for the remaining covers if you
like for fun, but for no points.

11. Cover B.
12. Cover D.
13. Cover E.
14. Cover H.
15. Cover L.
16. Cover M.
17. Cover O.
18. Cover Q.
19. Cover S.
20. Cover T.

--
Mark Brader | "If you have to go in, you go in.
Toronto | The choice was made the day you took your oath."

Dan Tilque

Sep 29, 2011, 2:40:34 AM9/29/11
Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 8, Round 7 - Cities in Song
>
> In this round we're going to look at US cities celebrated in song.
> Using the handout map http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/0807/song.png
> as a reference, we will give you a city letter and three or four
> singers or bands that have each recorded different songs with
> forms of its name in the title.
>
> For questions #1-7, all we want from you is the name of the city.
>
> 1. City A -- the Animals; Scott McKenzie; Tony Bennett.

San Francisco

> 2. City C -- the Doors; Randy Newman; Wang Chung; Cheech Marin.

Los Angeles

> 3. City D -- Elvis Presley; Sheryl Crow; Katy Perry.

Las Vegas

> 4. City H -- Roger Miller; Wilbert Harrison; the Beatles; Lee Dixon.

Kansas City

> 5. City I -- Johnny Rivers; Marc Cohn; Jerry Lee Lewis.

Memphis

> 6. City L -- Johnny Horton; Arlo Guthrie; the Tragically Hip.

New Orleans

> 7. City U -- Bruce Springsteen; Neil Young; Elton John.

Philadelphia

> Questions #8-10 all relate to City Y. You must give either the
> name of the city or a specific part of it, *whichever is mentioned
> in the titles*.
>
> 8. The Ad Libs; Sting; Frank Sinatra.

New York

> 9. Beastie Boys; Jay-Z; Neil Diamond.

Brooklyn

> 10. The Rolling Stones; Ben E. King; U2.

Manhattan

> The remaining cities have each also been celebrated in song at least
> once. (More or less, anyway -- W and X actually both represent the
> same place name.) Name them if you like for fun, but for no points.
>
> 11. City B.

Do You Know the Way to San Jose?

> 12. City E.

By the Time I Get to Phoenix

> 13. City F.

Wichita Lineman

> 14. City G.

I'm Proud to Be an Okie from Muskogee

> 15. City J.

Tupelo Honey

> 16. City K.

Galveston, oh Galveston
I still hear your sea winds blowin'

> 17. City M.

(here's where I run out of song titles)
Tallahassee (?)

> 18. City N.

Miami

> 19. City O.

Milwaukee

> 20. City P.

Detroit

> 21. City Q.

Cleveland

> 22. City R.

Akron; Youngstown

> 23. City S.

Buffalo

> 24. City T.

Baltimore

> 25. City V.
> 26. City W or X.

Woodstock

> 27. City Z.

Atlantic City

> * Game 8, Round 8 - Album Covers
>
> And now, another music round, which is also another arts and
> literature round. The album cover as an art form reached its peak
> in the heyday of LPs and may now be in terminal decline in the era
> of downloads. But back in 1991, Rolling Stone magazine selected
> the 100 greatest covers of all time. On our handout
>
> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/0808/album.jpg
>
> are 20 of them. On each question, name the singer or band, as
> applicable, whose album is shown. We have, of course, removed
> some of the lettering.
>
> 1. Cover A.
> 2. Cover C.
> 3. Cover F.
> 4. Cover G.
> 5. Cover I.
> 6. Cover J.
> 7. Cover K.
> 8. Cover N.
> 9. Cover P.
> 10. Cover R.
>
> Now identify the singer or band for the remaining covers if you
> like for fun, but for no points.
>
> 11. Cover B.
> 12. Cover D.

The Eagles

> 13. Cover E.

Emerson Lake and Palmer

> 14. Cover H.

Bruce Springsteen

> 15. Cover L.
> 16. Cover M.
> 17. Cover O.

Led Zeppelin

--
Dan Tilque

Keeping Pluto dead has taken a lot of work.
-- Mike Brown "How I killed Pluto and Why It Had It Coming"

Joachim Parsch

Sep 29, 2011, 3:03:49 AM9/29/11

Mark Brader schrieb:

> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2011-03-14,

> Please post all your answers in a single followup to the newsgroup,
> the correct answers in about 3 days. For further information see
> my 2011-09-22 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI11, QFTCIMM)".
>
> I did not write either of these rounds.
>
> * Game 8, Round 7 - Cities in Song
>
> In this round we're going to look at US cities celebrated in song.
> Using the handout map http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/0807/song.png
> as a reference, we will give you a city letter and three or four
> singers or bands that have each recorded different songs with
> forms of its name in the title.
>
> For questions #1-7, all we want from you is the name of the city.
>
> 1. City A -- the Animals; Scott McKenzie; Tony Bennett.

San Fransisco.

> 2. City C -- the Doors; Randy Newman; Wang Chung; Cheech Marin.

Los Angeles.

> 3. City D -- Elvis Presley; Sheryl Crow; Katy Perry.

Las Vegas.

> 4. City H -- Roger Miller; Wilbert Harrison; the Beatles; Lee Dixon.
>
> 5. City I -- Johnny Rivers; Marc Cohn; Jerry Lee Lewis.
>
> 6. City L -- Johnny Horton; Arlo Guthrie; the Tragically Hip.

New Orleans.

> 7. City U -- Bruce Springsteen; Neil Young; Elton John.

Philadelphia.

> Questions #8-10 all relate to City Y. You must give either the
> name of the city or a specific part of it, *whichever is mentioned
> in the titles*.
>
> 8. The Ad Libs; Sting; Frank Sinatra.

New York.

> 9. Beastie Boys; Jay-Z; Neil Diamond.

Manhattan?

> 10. The Rolling Stones; Ben E. King; U2.

Harlem.

> * Game 8, Round 8 - Album Covers
>
> And now, another music round, which is also another arts and
> literature round. The album cover as an art form reached its peak
> in the heyday of LPs and may now be in terminal decline in the era
> of downloads. But back in 1991, Rolling Stone magazine selected
> the 100 greatest covers of all time. On our handout
>
> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/0808/album.jpg
>
> are 20 of them. On each question, name the singer or band, as
> applicable, whose album is shown. We have, of course, removed
> some of the lettering.
>
> 1. Cover A.
> 2. Cover C.
> 3. Cover F.
> 4. Cover G.
> 5. Cover I.
> 6. Cover J.
> 7. Cover K.
> 8. Cover N.
> 9. Cover P.
> 10. Cover R.

Supertramp.

Joachim

Marc Dashevsky

Sep 29, 2011, 7:40:49 AM9/29/11
In article <OY6dnRvWw_SiYB7T...@vex.net>, m...@vex.net says...
> * Game 8, Round 7 - Cities in Song
>
> In this round we're going to look at US cities celebrated in song.
> Using the handout map http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/0807/song.png
> as a reference, we will give you a city letter and three or four
> singers or bands that have each recorded different songs with
> forms of its name in the title.
>
> For questions #1-7, all we want from you is the name of the city.
>
> 1. City A -- the Animals; Scott McKenzie; Tony Bennett.
San Francisco

> 2. City C -- the Doors; Randy Newman; Wang Chung; Cheech Marin.
Los Angeles

> 3. City D -- Elvis Presley; Sheryl Crow; Katy Perry.
Las Vegas

> 4. City H -- Roger Miller; Wilbert Harrison; the Beatles; Lee Dixon.
Kansas City

> 5. City I -- Johnny Rivers; Marc Cohn; Jerry Lee Lewis.
Memphis

> 6. City L -- Johnny Horton; Arlo Guthrie; the Tragically Hip.
New Orleans

> 7. City U -- Bruce Springsteen; Neil Young; Elton John.
Philadelphia

> Questions #8-10 all relate to City Y. You must give either the
> name of the city or a specific part of it, *whichever is mentioned
> in the titles*.
>
> 8. The Ad Libs; Sting; Frank Sinatra.
New York City

> 9. Beastie Boys; Jay-Z; Neil Diamond.
Brooklyn

> 10. The Rolling Stones; Ben E. King; U2.
Harlem
Blind Faith

> 2. Cover C.
Fleetwood Mac

> 3. Cover F.
Iggy Pop

> 4. Cover G.
The Cars

> 5. Cover I.
> 6. Cover J.
Miles Davis

> 7. Cover K.
Patti Smith

--
Go to http://MarcDashevsky.com to send me e-mail.

Dan Blum

Sep 29, 2011, 3:12:43 PM9/29/11
Mark Brader <m...@vex.net> wrote:

> * Game 8, Round 7 - Cities in Song

> 1. City A -- the Animals; Scott McKenzie; Tony Bennett.

San Francisco

> 2. City C -- the Doors; Randy Newman; Wang Chung; Cheech Marin.

Hollywood; Los Angeles

> 3. City D -- Elvis Presley; Sheryl Crow; Katy Perry.

Las Vegas

> 4. City H -- Roger Miller; Wilbert Harrison; the Beatles; Lee Dixon.

Kansas City

> 5. City I -- Johnny Rivers; Marc Cohn; Jerry Lee Lewis.

Memphis; Nashville

> 6. City L -- Johnny Horton; Arlo Guthrie; the Tragically Hip.

New Orleans

> 7. City U -- Bruce Springsteen; Neil Young; Elton John.

Philadelphia

> 8. The Ad Libs; Sting; Frank Sinatra.

New York; Manhattan

> 9. Beastie Boys; Jay-Z; Neil Diamond.

Brooklyn

> 10. The Rolling Stones; Ben E. King; U2.

Manhattan; New York

> * Game 8, Round 8 - Album Covers

> 1. Cover A.

B-52s

> 2. Cover C.

Fleetwood Mac

> 6. Cover J.

Seal

> 7. Cover K.

Patti Smith

Dan Blum to...@panix.com

Erland Sommarskog

Sep 29, 2011, 4:55:19 PM9/29/11
Mark Brader (m...@vex.net) writes:
> 1. City A -- the Animals; Scott McKenzie; Tony Bennett.

San Francisco

> 2. City C -- the Doors; Randy Newman; Wang Chung; Cheech Marin.

Los Angeles

> 3. City D -- Elvis Presley; Sheryl Crow; Katy Perry.

Las Vegas

> 4. City H -- Roger Miller; Wilbert Harrison; the Beatles; Lee Dixon.

S:t Louis

> 5. City I -- Johnny Rivers; Marc Cohn; Jerry Lee Lewis.

Memphis

> 6. City L -- Johnny Horton; Arlo Guthrie; the Tragically Hip.

New Orleans

> 7. City U -- Bruce Springsteen; Neil Young; Elton John.

Philadelphia

> 8. The Ad Libs; Sting; Frank Sinatra.

New York

> 9. Beastie Boys; Jay-Z; Neil Diamond.

Manhattan

> 10. The Rolling Stones; Ben E. King; U2.

Long Island

> 1. Cover A.

Blind Faith

> 2. Cover C.

Fleetwood Mac

> 3. Cover F.

Iggy Pop

> 4. Cover G.

Tha Cars

> 5. Cover I.

Roxy Music - Country Music

> 6. Cover J.

Miles Davis - Bitches Brew

> 7. Cover K.

Patti Smith

> 8. Cover N.

Yes

> 9. Cover P.

Barclay James Harvest

> 10. Cover R.

Supertramp - Breakfast in America

> 12. Cover D.

Eagles

> 13. Cover E.

Emerson, Lake & Palmer

> 14. Cover H.

Bruce Springsteen

> 15. Cover L.

Santana

> 16. Cover M.

Velvet Underground

> 17. Cover O.

Led Zeppling

> 18. Cover Q.

Midnight Oil

> 19. Cover S.

Soundgarden

> 20. Cover T.

The Mothers of Invention

Calvin

Sep 29, 2011, 6:29:39 PM9/29/11
On Sep 29, 3:08 pm, m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote:

> I did not write either of these rounds.
>
> * Game 8, Round 7 - Cities in Song
>
> In this round we're going to look at US cities celebrated in song.
> Using the handout maphttp://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/0807/song.png
> as a reference, we will give you a city letter and three or four
> singers or bands that have each recorded different songs with
> forms of its name in the title.
>
> For questions #1-7, all we want from you is the name of the city.
>
> 1. City A -- the Animals; Scott McKenzie; Tony Bennett.

San Francisco

> 2. City C -- the Doors; Randy Newman; Wang Chung; Cheech Marin.

Los Angeles

> 3. City D -- Elvis Presley; Sheryl Crow; Katy Perry.

Reno

> 4. City H -- Roger Miller; Wilbert Harrison; the Beatles; Lee Dixon.

Kansas City, Sioux City

> 5. City I -- Johnny Rivers; Marc Cohn; Jerry Lee Lewis.

Memphis, Vicksburg

> 6. City L -- Johnny Horton; Arlo Guthrie; the Tragically Hip.

New Orleans

> 7. City U -- Bruce Springsteen; Neil Young; Elton John.

Atlantic City

> Questions #8-10 all relate to City Y.  You must give either the
> name of the city or a specific part of it, *whichever is mentioned
> in the titles*.
>
> 8. The Ad Libs; Sting; Frank Sinatra.

New York

> 9. Beastie Boys; Jay-Z; Neil Diamond.

Brooklyn

> 10. The Rolling Stones; Ben E. King; U2.

Harlem

> * Game 8, Round 8 - Album Covers
>

> 1. Cover A.
> 2. Cover C.

Fleetwood Mac

> 3. Cover F.

Dylan?

> 4. Cover G.

The Cars

> 5. Cover I.
> 6. Cover J.
> 7. Cover K.

King, Smith

> 8. Cover N.
> 9. Cover P.
> 10. Cover R.
>
> Now identify the singer or band for the remaining covers if you
> like for fun, but for no points.
>
> 11. Cover B.
> 12. Cover D.

Eagles

> 13. Cover E.
> 14. Cover H.

The Boss

> 15. Cover L.
> 16. Cover M.
> 17. Cover O.
> 18. Cover Q.

Midnight Oil

cheers,
calvin

Pete

Sep 29, 2011, 6:30:55 PM9/29/11
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in

> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2011-03-14,

> Please post all your answers in a single followup to the newsgroup,
> the correct answers in about 3 days. For further information see
> my 2011-09-22 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI11, QFTCIMM)".
>
> I did not write either of these rounds.
>

> * Game 8, Round 7 - Cities in Song
>
> In this round we're going to look at US cities celebrated in song.
> Using the handout map http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/0807/song.png
> as a reference, we will give you a city letter and three or four
> singers or bands that have each recorded different songs with
> forms of its name in the title.
>
> For questions #1-7, all we want from you is the name of the city.
>
> 1. City A -- the Animals; Scott McKenzie; Tony Bennett.

San Francisco

> 2. City C -- the Doors; Randy Newman; Wang Chung; Cheech Marin.

Los Angeles

> 3. City D -- Elvis Presley; Sheryl Crow; Katy Perry.

Las Vegas

> 4. City H -- Roger Miller; Wilbert Harrison; the Beatles; Lee Dixon.

Kansas City

> 5. City I -- Johnny Rivers; Marc Cohn; Jerry Lee Lewis.

Memphis

> 6. City L -- Johnny Horton; Arlo Guthrie; the Tragically Hip.

New Orleans

> 7. City U -- Bruce Springsteen; Neil Young; Elton John.

Philadelphia

> Questions #8-10 all relate to City Y. You must give either the
> name of the city or a specific part of it, *whichever is mentioned
> in the titles*.
>
> 8. The Ad Libs; Sting; Frank Sinatra.

"New York, New York"

> 9. Beastie Boys; Jay-Z; Neil Diamond.

Brooklyn

> 10. The Rolling Stones; Ben E. King; U2.

Harlem

> The remaining cities have each also been celebrated in song at least
> once. (More or less, anyway -- W and X actually both represent the
> same place name.) Name them if you like for fun, but for no points.
>
> 11. City B.

San Jose

> 12. City E.

Phoenix

> 13. City F.

Topeka

> 14. City G.

Muskogee

> 15. City J.

Jackson

> 16. City K.

Galveston

> 17. City M.

Tallahassee

> 18. City N.

Miami

> 19. City O.

Milwaukee

> 20. City P.

Detroit

> 21. City Q.

Cleveland

> 22. City R.

Johnstown

> 23. City S.

Buffalo

> 24. City T.

Baltimore

> 25. City V.

Johnstown

> 26. City W or X.

Camp Grenada

> 27. City Z.

Atlantic City

> * Game 8, Round 8 - Album Covers
>
> And now, another music round, which is also another arts and
> literature round. The album cover as an art form reached its peak
> in the heyday of LPs and may now be in terminal decline in the era
> of downloads. But back in 1991, Rolling Stone magazine selected
> the 100 greatest covers of all time. On our handout
>
> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/0808/album.jpg
>
> are 20 of them. On each question, name the singer or band, as
> applicable, whose album is shown. We have, of course, removed
> some of the lettering.
>
> 1. Cover A.

Blind Faith

> 2. Cover C.

Fleetwood Mac

> 3. Cover F.

Iggy Pop

> 4. Cover G.

The Cars

> 5. Cover I.

Roxy Music

> 6. Cover J.

Miles Davis

> 7. Cover K.

Patti Smith

> 8. Cover N.

Yes

> 9. Cover P.

Queen; John Mellencamp

> 10. Cover R.

Manhattan Transfer

> Now identify the singer or band for the remaining covers if you
> like for fun, but for no points.
>
> 11. Cover B.

The Doors

> 12. Cover D.

Eagles

> 13. Cover E.

Emerson, Lake, and Palmer

> 14. Cover H.

Bruce Springsteen

> 15. Cover L.

Santana

> 16. Cover M.

Clash

> 17. Cover O.

Led Zeppelin

> 18. Cover Q.

Pink Floyd

> 19. Cover S.

The Who

> 20. Cover T.

Frank Zappa and the Mothers of Invention

Pete

Peter Smyth

Sep 29, 2011, 7:39:09 PM9/29/11
"Mark Brader" wrote in message

>* Game 8, Round 7 - Cities in Song
>
>For questions #1-7, all we want from you is the name of the city.
>
>1. City A -- the Animals; Scott McKenzie; Tony Bennett.
San Francisco
>2. City C -- the Doors; Randy Newman; Wang Chung; Cheech Marin.
Los Angeles
>3. City D -- Elvis Presley; Sheryl Crow; Katy Perry.
Las Vegas
>4. City H -- Roger Miller; Wilbert Harrison; the Beatles; Lee Dixon.
Kansas City
>5. City I -- Johnny Rivers; Marc Cohn; Jerry Lee Lewis.
Memphis
>6. City L -- Johnny Horton; Arlo Guthrie; the Tragically Hip.
New Orleans
>7. City U -- Bruce Springsteen; Neil Young; Elton John.
Philadelphia
>Questions #8-10 all relate to City Y. You must give either the
>name of the city or a specific part of it, *whichever is mentioned
>in the titles*.
>
>8. The Ad Libs; Sting; Frank Sinatra.
New York
>9. Beastie Boys; Jay-Z; Neil Diamond.
Manhattan, Brooklyn
>10. The Rolling Stones; Ben E. King; U2.
Manhattan, Brooklyn

>* Game 8, Round 8 - Album Covers
>
>And now, another music round, which is also another arts and
>literature round. The album cover as an art form reached its peak
>in the heyday of LPs and may now be in terminal decline in the era
>of downloads. But back in 1991, Rolling Stone magazine selected
>the 100 greatest covers of all time. On our handout
>
> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/0808/album.jpg
>
>are 20 of them. On each question, name the singer or band, as
>applicable, whose album is shown. We have, of course, removed
>some of the lettering.
>
>1. Cover A.
>2. Cover C.
>3. Cover F.
>4. Cover G.
>5. Cover I.
>6. Cover J.
>7. Cover K.
Patti Smith
>8. Cover N.
Yes
>9. Cover P.
>10. Cover R.
>
>Now identify the singer or band for the remaining covers if you
>like for fun, but for no points.
>
>11. Cover B.
>12. Cover D.
>13. Cover E.
Emerson, Lake & Palmer
>14. Cover H.
>15. Cover L.
>16. Cover M.
Velvet Underground & Nico
>17. Cover O.
Led Zeppelin
>18. Cover Q.
>19. Cover S.
>20. Cover T.

Peter Smyth

swp

Sep 29, 2011, 8:04:01 PM9/29/11
On Thursday, September 29, 2011 1:08:15 AM UTC-4, Mark Brader wrote:
> * Game 8, Round 7 - Cities in Song
>
> 1. City A -- the Animals; Scott McKenzie; Tony Bennett.

san francisco

> 2. City C -- the Doors; Randy Newman; Wang Chung; Cheech Marin.

los angeles

> 3. City D -- Elvis Presley; Sheryl Crow; Katy Perry.

las vegas

> 4. City H -- Roger Miller; Wilbert Harrison; the Beatles; Lee Dixon.

kansas city

> 5. City I -- Johnny Rivers; Marc Cohn; Jerry Lee Lewis.

memphis

> 6. City L -- Johnny Horton; Arlo Guthrie; the Tragically Hip.

new orleans

> 7. City U -- Bruce Springsteen; Neil Young; Elton John.

philadelphia

> Questions #8-10 all relate to City Y. You must give either the
> name of the city or a specific part of it, *whichever is mentioned
> in the titles*.
>
> 8. The Ad Libs; Sting; Frank Sinatra.

new york

> 9. Beastie Boys; Jay-Z; Neil Diamond.

brooklyn

> 10. The Rolling Stones; Ben E. King; U2.

harlem

> * Game 8, Round 8 - Album Covers
> 1. Cover A.

blind faith

> 2. Cover C.

fleetwood mac

> 3. Cover F.

iggy pop

> 4. Cover G.

the cars

> 5. Cover I.

roxy music

> 6. Cover J.

miles davis

> 7. Cover K.

patti smith

> 8. Cover N.

yes

> 9. Cover P.

van halen

> 10. Cover R.

supertramp

swp

Dan Tilque

Sep 29, 2011, 10:12:39 PM9/29/11
> Mark Brader wrote:
>>
>> * Game 8, Round 7 - Cities in Song
>>

>> 25. City V.

I just realized what this one probably is, and no I didn't look at a map.

Allentown

--
Dan Tilque

"Out in Bethlehem, they're killing time
filling out forms, standing in line"

Rob Parker

Sep 30, 2011, 9:50:06 AM9/30/11
> * Game 8, Round 7 - Cities in Song
>
> In this round we're going to look at US cities celebrated in song.
> Using the handout map http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/0807/song.png
> as a reference, we will give you a city letter and three or four
> singers or bands that have each recorded different songs with
> forms of its name in the title.
>
> For questions #1-7, all we want from you is the name of the city.
>
> 1. City A -- the Animals; Scott McKenzie; Tony Bennett.

San Francisco

> 2. City C -- the Doors; Randy Newman; Wang Chung; Cheech Marin.

Los Angeles

> 3. City D -- Elvis Presley; Sheryl Crow; Katy Perry.

Las Vegas

> 4. City H -- Roger Miller; Wilbert Harrison; the Beatles; Lee Dixon.

Kansas City

> 5. City I -- Johnny Rivers; Marc Cohn; Jerry Lee Lewis.

Memphis

> 6. City L -- Johnny Horton; Arlo Guthrie; the Tragically Hip.

New Orleans

> 7. City U -- Bruce Springsteen; Neil Young; Elton John.

Philadelphia

> 8. The Ad Libs; Sting; Frank Sinatra.

New York

> 9. Beastie Boys; Jay-Z; Neil Diamond.

Bugger !!!

> 10. The Rolling Stones; Ben E. King; U2.

Harlem

> * Game 8, Round 8 - Album Covers

Where I name the album, it's because I've got it (on vinyl, unless otherwise
noted)

> 1. Cover A.

Blind Faith ("Blind Faith" - the cover on the record released in Australia
was different)

> 2. Cover C.

Fleetwood Mac ("Rumours" - cassette)

> 3. Cover F.

Iggy Pop

> 4. Cover G.
> 5. Cover I.

Roxy Music

> 6. Cover J.

Miles Davis ("Bitches Brew")

> 7. Cover K.

Patti Smith

> 8. Cover N.

Yes ("Relayer")

> 9. Cover P.
> 10. Cover R.

Supertramp

> 11. Cover B.

The Doors ("Strange Days")

> 12. Cover D.

The Eagles ("Hotel California" - CD)

> 13. Cover E.

Emerson Lake & Palmer ("Brain Salad Surgery")

> 14. Cover H.

Bruce Springsteen

> 15. Cover L.

Santana ("Abraxas")

> 16. Cover M.

The Velvet Underground

> 17. Cover O.

Led Zeppelin ("Houses of the Holy")

> 18. Cover Q.

Midnight Oil ("Diesel and Dust" - CD)

> 19. Cover S.

The Who ("Tommy")

> 20. Cover T.

The Mothers Of Invention ("Weasels Ripped My Flesh" - Frank Zappa's name
does not appear on the cover)

Rob

Joshua Kreitzer

Sep 30, 2011, 10:27:54 PM9/30/11
On Sep 29, 12:08 am, m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote:

> * Game 8, Round 7 - Cities in Song
>
> For questions #1-7, all we want from you is the name of the city.
>
> 1. City A -- the Animals; Scott McKenzie; Tony Bennett.

San Francisco

> 2. City C -- the Doors; Randy Newman; Wang Chung; Cheech Marin.

Los Angeles

> 3. City D -- Elvis Presley; Sheryl Crow; Katy Perry.

Las Vegas

> 4. City H -- Roger Miller; Wilbert Harrison; the Beatles; Lee Dixon.

Kansas City

> 5. City I -- Johnny Rivers; Marc Cohn; Jerry Lee Lewis.

Memphis

> 6. City L -- Johnny Horton; Arlo Guthrie; the Tragically Hip.

New Orleans

> 7. City U -- Bruce Springsteen; Neil Young; Elton John.

Philadelphia

> Questions #8-10 all relate to City Y.  You must give either the
> name of the city or a specific part of it, *whichever is mentioned
> in the titles*.
>
> 8. The Ad Libs; Sting; Frank Sinatra.

New York

> 9. Beastie Boys; Jay-Z; Neil Diamond.

Brooklyn

> 10. The Rolling Stones; Ben E. King; U2.

Harlem

> The remaining cities have each also been celebrated in song at least
> once.  (More or less, anyway -- W and X actually both represent the
> same place name.)  Name them if you like for fun, but for no points.
>
> 11. City B.

San Jose

> 12. City E.

Phoenix

> 13. City F.

Wichita

> 14. City G.

Tulsa

> 15. City J.

Jackson

> 16. City K.

Galveston

> 17. City M.

Tallahassee

> 18. City N.

Miami

> 19. City O.

Milwaukee

> 20. City P.

Detroit

> 21. City Q.

Cleveland

> 22. City R.

Youngstown

> 23. City S.

Buffalo

> 24. City T.

Baltimore (this is the only one I can't think of a song title for)

> 25. City V.

Allentown

> 26. City W or X.

Woodstock

> 27. City Z.

Atlantic City

> * Game 8, Round 8 - Album Covers
>
> On each question, name the singer or band, as
> applicable, whose album is shown.  We have, of course, removed
> some of the lettering.
>
> 1. Cover A.

Blind Faith

> 2. Cover C.

Fleetwood Mac

> 3. Cover F.

Graham Parker (?)

> 4. Cover G.

The Cars

> 5. Cover I.

Roxy Music

> 6. Cover J.

Miles Davis

> 7. Cover K.

Patti Smith

> 8. Cover N.

Yes

> 9. Cover P.

Van Halen

> 10. Cover R.

Supertramp

> Now identify the singer or band for the remaining covers if you
> like for fun, but for no points.
>
> 11. Cover B.

The Doors

> 12. Cover D.

Eagles

> 13. Cover E.

Emerson, Lake & Palmer

> 14. Cover H.

Bruce Springsteen

> 15. Cover L.

Santana

> 16. Cover M.

The Velvet Underground (and Nico)

> 17. Cover O.

Led Zeppelin

> 18. Cover Q.

Midnight Oil

> 19. Cover S.

The Who

> 20. Cover T.

Frank Zappa & the Mothers of Invention

--
Joshua Kreitzer
grom...@hotmail.com

Jeffrey Turner

Oct 1, 2011, 2:46:22 PM10/1/11
On 9/29/2011 1:08 AM, Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 8, Round 7 - Cities in Song
>
> In this round we're going to look at US cities celebrated in song.
> Using the handout map http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/0807/song.png
> as a reference, we will give you a city letter and three or four
> singers or bands that have each recorded different songs with
> forms of its name in the title.
>
> For questions #1-7, all we want from you is the name of the city.
>
> 1. City A -- the Animals; Scott McKenzie; Tony Bennett.

San Francisco

> 2. City C -- the Doors; Randy Newman; Wang Chung; Cheech Marin.

Los Angeles

> 3. City D -- Elvis Presley; Sheryl Crow; Katy Perry.

Las Vegas

> 4. City H -- Roger Miller; Wilbert Harrison; the Beatles; Lee Dixon.

Kansas City

> 5. City I -- Johnny Rivers; Marc Cohn; Jerry Lee Lewis.

Nashville

> 6. City L -- Johnny Horton; Arlo Guthrie; the Tragically Hip.

New Orleans

> 7. City U -- Bruce Springsteen; Neil Young; Elton John.

Philadelphia

> Questions #8-10 all relate to City Y. You must give either the
> name of the city or a specific part of it, *whichever is mentioned
> in the titles*.
>
> 8. The Ad Libs; Sting; Frank Sinatra.

New York

> 9. Beastie Boys; Jay-Z; Neil Diamond.

Brooklyn

> 10. The Rolling Stones; Ben E. King; U2.
>
> The remaining cities have each also been celebrated in song at least
> once. (More or less, anyway -- W and X actually both represent the
> same place name.) Name them if you like for fun, but for no points.
>
> 11. City B.
> 12. City E. Phoenix
> 13. City F. Topeka
> 14. City G. Oklahoma City
> 15. City J.
> 16. City K. Houston
> 17. City M. Tallahassee
> 18. City N. Miami
> 19. City O. Milwaukee
> 20. City P. Detroit
> 21. City Q. Cleveland
> 22. City R.
> 23. City S. Buffalo (Would have been especially tough in Toronto.)
> 24. City T.
> 25. City V.
> 26. City W or X.
> 27. City Z.
>

> * Game 8, Round 8 - Album Covers
>
> And now, another music round, which is also another arts and
> literature round. The album cover as an art form reached its peak
> in the heyday of LPs and may now be in terminal decline in the era
> of downloads. But back in 1991, Rolling Stone magazine selected
> the 100 greatest covers of all time. On our handout
>
> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/0808/album.jpg
>
> are 20 of them. On each question, name the singer or band, as
> applicable, whose album is shown. We have, of course, removed
> some of the lettering.
>
> 1. Cover A.
> 2. Cover C.

Fleetwood Mac

> 3. Cover F.
> 4. Cover G.

The Cars

> 5. Cover I.
> 6. Cover J.
> 7. Cover K.

Patti Smith

> 8. Cover N.
> 9. Cover P.
> 10. Cover R.
>
> Now identify the singer or band for the remaining covers if you
> like for fun, but for no points.
>
> 11. Cover B.
> 12. Cover D. The Eagles
> 13. Cover E.
> 14. Cover H. Bruce Springsteen
> 15. Cover L.
> 16. Cover M.
> 17. Cover O.
> 18. Cover Q.
> 19. Cover S. The Who
> 20. Cover T.

--Jeff

Mark Brader

Oct 2, 2011, 12:08:26 AM10/2/11
Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2011-03-14,
> see my 2011-09-22 companion posting on "Questions from the
> Canadian Inquisition (QFTCI11, QFTCIMM)".

> I did not write either of these rounds.

> * Game 8, Round 7 - Cities in Song

> In this round we're going to look at US cities celebrated in song.
> Using the handout map http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/0807/song.png
> as a reference, we will give you a city letter and three or four
> singers or bands that have each recorded different songs with
> forms of its name in the title.

This was the easiest round in the original game and the 2nd-easiest
in the entire season.

> For questions #1-7, all we want from you is the name of the city.

> 1. City A -- the Animals; Scott McKenzie; Tony Bennett.

San Francisco ("San Franciscan Nights"; "San Francisco (Be Sure To
Wear Some Flowers in Your Hair)"; "I Left My Heart in San Francisco").
4 for everyone -- Dan Tilque, Joachim, Marc, Dan Blum, Erland,
Calvin, Pete, Peter, Stephen, Rob, Joshua, and Jeff.

> 2. City C -- the Doors; Randy Newman; Wang Chung; Cheech Marin.

Los Angeles ("L.A. Woman"; "I Love L.A."; "To Live and Die in L.A.";
"Born in East L.A."). 4 for Dan Tilque, Joachim, Marc, Erland,
Calvin, Pete, Peter, Stephen, Rob, Joshua, and Jeff. 2 for Dan Blum.

> 3. City D -- Elvis Presley; Sheryl Crow; Katy Perry.

Las Vegas ("Viva Las Vegas"; "Leaving Las Vegas"; "Waking Up In
Vegas"). 4 for Dan Tilque, Joachim, Marc, Dan Blum, Erland, Pete,
Peter, Stephen, Rob, Joshua, and Jeff.

> 4. City H -- Roger Miller; Wilbert Harrison; the Beatles; Lee Dixon.

Kansas City ("Kansas City Star"; three different songs titled
"Kansas City"). 4 for Dan Tilque, Marc, Dan Blum, Pete, Peter,
Stephen, Rob, Joshua, and Jeff. 3 for Calvin.

> 5. City I -- Johnny Rivers; Marc Cohn; Jerry Lee Lewis.

Memphis ("Memphis"; "Walking in Memphis"; "Memphis Beat"). 4 for
Dan Tilque, Marc, Erland, Pete, Peter, Stephen, Rob, and Joshua.
3 for Dan Blum and Calvin.

> 6. City L -- Johnny Horton; Arlo Guthrie; the Tragically Hip.

New Orleans ("Battle of New Orleans"; "City of New Orleans"; "New
Orleans is Sinking"). 4 for everyone.

> 7. City U -- Bruce Springsteen; Neil Young; Elton John.

Philadelphia ("Streets of Philadelphia"; "Philadelphia"; "Philadelphia
Freedom"). 4 for Dan Tilque, Joachim, Marc, Dan Blum, Erland, Pete,
Peter, Stephen, Rob, Joshua, and Jeff.

> Questions #8-10 all relate to City Y. You must give either the
> name of the city or a specific part of it, *whichever is mentioned
> in the titles*.

> 8. The Ad Libs; Sting; Frank Sinatra.

New York ("The Boy From New York City"; "An Englishman in New York";
"New York, New York"). 4 for Dan Tilque, Joachim, Marc, Erland,
Calvin, Pete, Peter, Stephen, Rob, Joshua, and Jeff. 3 for Dan Blum.

> 9. Beastie Boys; Jay-Z; Neil Diamond.

Brooklyn ("No Sleep Till Brooklyn"; "Hello Brooklyn 2.0"; "Brooklyn
Roads"). 4 for Dan Tilque, Marc, Dan Blum, Calvin, Pete, Stephen,
Joshua, and Jeff. 2 for Peter.

> 10. The Rolling Stones; Ben E. King; U2.

Harlem ("Harlem Shuffle"; "Spanish Harlem"; "Angel of Harlem").
4 for Joachim, Marc, Calvin, Pete, Stephen, Rob, and Joshua.

> The remaining cities have each also been celebrated in song at least
> once. (More or less, anyway -- W and X actually both represent the
> same place name.) Name them if you like for fun, but for no points.

> 11. City B.

San Jose. Dan Tilque, Pete, and Joshua got this.

> 12. City E.

Phoenix. Dan Tilque, Pete, and Joshua got this.

> 13. City F.

Wichita. Dan Tilque and Joshua got this.

> 14. City G.

Tulsa. Joshua got this.

> 15. City J.

Tupelo. Dan Tilque got this.

> 16. City K.

Galveston. Dan Tilque, Pete, and Joshua got this.

> 17. City M.

Tallahassee. Dan Tilque, Pete, and Joshua got this.

> 18. City N.

Miami. Dan Tilque, Pete, and Joshua got this.

> 19. City O.

Milwaukee. Dan Tilque, Pete, and Joshua got this.

> 20. City P.

Detroit. Dan Tilque, Pete, and Joshua got this.

> 21. City Q.

Cleveland. Dan Tilque, Pete, and Joshua got this.

> 22. City R.

Youngstown. Joshua got this, and Dan Tilque on the second try.
(But, come on, what sort of showing off is it if you need two tries?

> 23. City S.

Buffalo. Dan Tilque, Pete, and Joshua got this.

> 24. City T.

Baltimore. Dan Tilque, Pete, and Joshua got this.

> 25. City V.

Allentown. Pete and Joshua got this, and Dan Tilque belatedly.

> 26. City W or X.

W is the "Woodstock" festival site near White Lake, Bethel, NY;
X is Woodstock itself. Dan Tilque and Joshua got this.

> 27. City Z.

Atlantic City. Dan Tilque, Pete, and Joshua got this.

> * Game 8, Round 8 - Album Covers

> And now, another music round, which is also another arts and
> literature round. The album cover as an art form reached its peak
> in the heyday of LPs and may now be in terminal decline in the era
> of downloads. But back in 1991, Rolling Stone magazine selected
> the 100 greatest covers of all time. On our handout

> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/0808/album.jpg

> are 20 of them. On each question, name the singer or band, as
> applicable, whose album is shown. We have, of course, removed
> some of the lettering.

> 1. Cover A.

Blind Faith (#7 on the list, album "Blind Faith", 1969). 4 for Marc,
Erland, Pete, Stephen, Rob, and Joshua.

> 2. Cover C.

Fleetwood Mac (#87, "Rumours", 1977). 4 for Marc, Dan Blum, Erland,
Calvin, Pete, Stephen, Rob, Joshua, and Jeff.

> 3. Cover F.

Iggy Pop (#72, "The Idiot", 1977). 4 for Marc, Erland, Pete,
Stephen, and Rob.

> 4. Cover G.

The Cars (#14, "Candy-O", 1979). 4 for Marc, Erland, Calvin, Pete,
Stephen, Joshua, and Jeff.

> 5. Cover I.

Roxy Music (#46, "Country Life", 1974). 4 for Erland, Pete, Stephen,
Rob, and Joshua.

> 6. Cover J.

Miles Davis (#74, "Bitches Brew", 1970). 4 for Marc, Erland, Pete,
Stephen, Rob, and Joshua.

> 7. Cover K.

Patti Smith (#26, "Horses", 1975). 4 for Marc, Dan Blum, Erland,
Pete, Peter, Stephen, Rob, Joshua, and Jeff. 2 for Calvin.

> 8. Cover N.

Yes (#15, "Relayer", 1974). 4 for Erland, Pete, Peter, Stephen,
Rob, and Joshua.

> 9. Cover P.

Van Halen (#73, "MCMLXXXIV", 1984). 4 for Stephen and Joshua.

> 10. Cover R.

Supertramp (#33, "Breakfast in America", 1979). 4 for Joachim,
Erland, Stephen, Rob, and Joshua.

> Now identify the singer or band for the remaining covers if you
> like for fun, but for no points.

> 11. Cover B.

The Doors (#29, "Strange Days", 1967). Pete, Rob, and Joshua
got this.

> 12. Cover D.

The Eagles (#6, "Hotel California", 1976). Dan Tilque, Erland,
Calvin, Pete, Rob, and Joshua got this.

> 13. Cover E.

Emerson, Lake & Palmer (#56, "Brain Salad Surgery", 1973).
Dan Tilque, Erland, Pete, Peter, Rob, and Joshua got this.

> 14. Cover H.

Bruce Springsteen (#79, "Greetings From Asbury Park, N.J.", 1973).
Dan Tilque, Erland, Calvin, Pete, Rob, and Joshua got this.

> 15. Cover L.

Santana (#13, "Abraxas", 1970). Erland, Pete, Rob, and Joshua
got this.

> 16. Cover M.

The Velvet Underground (#10, "The Velvet Underground & Nico", 1967).
Erland, Peter, Rob, and Joshua got this.

> 17. Cover O.

Led Zeppelin (#50, "Houses of the Holy", 1973). Dan Tilque, Erland,
Pete, Peter, Rob, and Joshua got this.

> 18. Cover Q.

Midnight Oil (#98, "Diesel and Dust", 1987). Erland, Calvin, Rob,
and Joshua got this.

> 19. Cover S.

The Who (#32, "Tommy", 1969). Pete, Rob, and Joshua got this.

> 20. Cover T.

Frank Zappa and the Mothers of Invention (#30, "Weasels Ripped My
Flesh", 1970). Erland, Pete, Rob, and Joshua got this.

Scores, if there are no errors:

ROUNDS-> 2 3 4 5 7 8 BEST
TOPICS-> His Sci Mis Lit Ent Art FOUR
Stephen Perry 36 22 27 27 40 40 143
Joshua Kreitzer 28 10 34 24 40 36 138
Dan Blum 40 32 20 20 32 8 124
Pete Gayde 28 4 20 8 40 32 120
Rob Parker 20 28 12 12 36 32 116
Marc Dashevsky 16 19 32 12 40 24 115
Dan Tilque 28 24 20 8 36 0 108
Peter Smyth 28 16 20 0 34 8 98
Erland Sommarskog 8 8 16 0 28 36 88
Jeff Turner 20 24 8 11 32 12 88
"Calvin" 28 15 9 8 30 10 83
Stan Brown 32 28 -- -- -- -- 60
Bruce Bowler 8 32 -- -- -- -- 40
Joachim Parsch -- -- -- -- 28 4 32

--
Mark Brader | "One of these days I'll have to use that ... without the
Toronto | awkward brackets, so that you can quote it that way, too."

Joshua Kreitzer

Oct 2, 2011, 4:44:46 AM10/2/11
On Oct 1, 11:08 pm, m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote:
> Mark Brader:
>
> > 4. City H -- Roger Miller; Wilbert Harrison; the Beatles; Lee Dixon.
>
> Kansas City ("Kansas City Star"; three different songs titled
> "Kansas City").  4 for Dan Tilque, Marc, Dan Blum, Pete, Peter,
> Stephen, Rob, Joshua, and Jeff.  3 for Calvin.

Oddly, the Wilbert Harrison and Beatles songs titled "Kansas City" are
officially considered the same song (written by Jerry Leiber and Mike
Stoller), even though their lyrics are almost completely different.
(The Beatles remade Little Richard's rewrite of the song, in a medley
with Little Richard's own "Hey, Hey, Hey, Hey.")

--
Joshua Kreitzer
grom...@hotmail.com