Calvin's Quiz #448

Calvin

Jul 12, 2016, 7:14:29 PM7/12/16
1 A lack of calcium in the diet causes what bone disease?
2 Along with Faith and Hope, which Christian saint was martyred in the second century AD?
3 The city of Mandalay is located in which south east Asian country?
4 What two-word term both describes visual acuity and a form of the sport of cricket?
5 Louis Armstrong International Airport is located in which American city?
6 Linke and gauche are the German and French equivalents of which English word?
7 The dramatised version of which 1976 Alex Haley novel is one of the most watched TV series of all time?
8 Which English mathematician and inventor is credited with having designed the world's first general-purpose computer in 1837?
9 What insect shares its name with a cocktail which includes Crème de Menthe and Crème de Cacao?
10 Not to be confused with a card game, what is the nickname for the New Zealand men's lawn bowls team?

cheers,
calvin

Mark Brader

Jul 12, 2016, 7:24:27 PM7/12/16
"Calvin":
> 1 A lack of calcium in the diet causes what bone disease?

Hmm. I can think of two conditions featuring weakened bones. Rickets
is caused by a deficiency of vitamin D, and osteoporosis is a disease
you can get in old age without changing your diet, so it's not a
dietary deficiency disease.

I'll go with osteoporosis, anyway, since I don't have anything better.

> 2 Along with Faith and Hope, which Christian saint was
> martyred in the second century AD?

Charity?

> 3 The city of Mandalay is located in which south east Asian country?

Malaysia?

> 4 What two-word term both describes visual acuity and a form
> of the sport of cricket?

20/20.

> 5 Louis Armstrong International Airport is located in which
> American city?

New Orleans.

> 6 Linke and gauche are the German and French equivalents of
> which English word?

Left.

> 7 The dramatised version of which 1976 Alex Haley novel is
> one of the most watched TV series of all time?

"Roots".

> 8 Which English mathematician and inventor is credited with
> having designed the world's first general-purpose computer in
> 1837?

Charles Babbage.

> 9 What insect shares its name with a cocktail which includes
> Crème de Menthe and Crème de Cacao?

Grasshopper.

> 10 Not to be confused with a card game, what is the nickname
> for the New Zealand men's lawn bowls team?

Pokers?
--
Mark Brader, Toronto | Keep out of eyes--if this occurs, rinse with water.
m...@vex.net | (Directions seen on shampoo bottle)

Erland Sommarskog

Jul 13, 2016, 4:13:15 AM7/13/16
Calvin (334...@gmail.com) writes:
> 2 Along with Faith and Hope, which Christian saint was martyred in
> the second century AD?

Santa Claus

> 3 The city of Mandalay is located in which south east Asian country?

Burma

> 5 Louis Armstrong International Airport is located in which American
> city?

Nashville

> 6 Linke and gauche are the German and French equivalents of which
> English word?

Left

> 8 Which English mathematician and inventor is credited with having
> designed the world's first general-purpose computer in 1837?

Charles Babbage

> 9 What insect shares its name with a cocktail which includes Crème
> de Menthe and Crème de Cacao?

Mojito

Peter Smyth

Jul 13, 2016, 2:22:15 PM7/13/16
Calvin wrote:

> 1 A lack of calcium in the diet causes what bone disease?
Osteoporosis
> 2 Along with Faith and Hope, which Christian saint was martyred in
> the second century AD?
St Charity
> 3 The city of Mandalay is located in which south east Asian country?
Thailand
> 4 What two-word term both describes visual acuity and a form of the
> sport of cricket?
20/20
> 5 Louis Armstrong International Airport is located in which American
> city?
New Orleans
> 6 Linke and gauche are the German and French equivalents of which
> English word?
Left
> 7 The dramatised version of which 1976 Alex Haley novel is one of
> the most watched TV series of all time?
>
> 8 Which English mathematician and inventor is credited with having
> designed the world's first general-purpose computer in 1837?
Babbage
> 9 What insect shares its name with a cocktail which includes Crème de
> Menthe and Crème de Cacao?
Grasshopper
> 10 Not to be confused with a card game, what is the nickname for the
> New Zealand men's lawn bowls team?

Peter Smyth

Pete

Jul 13, 2016, 4:52:43 PM7/13/16
Calvin <334...@gmail.com> wrote in

> 1 A lack of calcium in the diet causes what bone disease?

Osteoporosis

> 2 Along with Faith and Hope, which Christian saint was martyred in
> the second century AD?

Charity

> 3 The city of Mandalay is located in which
> south east Asian country?

Thailand

> 4 What two-word term both describes
> visual acuity and a form of the sport of cricket?

Twenty Twenty

> 5 Louis
> Armstrong International Airport is located in which American city?

New Orleans

> 6 Linke and gauche are the German and French equivalents of which
> English word?

Left

> 7 The dramatised version of which 1976 Alex Haley
> novel is one of the most watched TV series of all time?

Roots

> 8 Which
> English mathematician and inventor is credited with having designed
> the world's first general-purpose computer in 1837?

Babbage

> 9 What insect
> shares its name with a cocktail which includes Crème de Menthe and
> Crème de Cacao?

Cricket

> 10 Not to be confused with a card game, what is
> the nickname for the New Zealand men's lawn bowls team?

Hearts

> cheers,
> calvin

Pete Gayde

Dan Tilque

Jul 14, 2016, 4:31:27 AM7/14/16
Calvin wrote:
> 1 A lack of calcium in the diet causes what bone disease?
> 2 Along with Faith and Hope, which Christian saint was martyred in the second century AD?
> 3 The city of Mandalay is located in which south east Asian country?

Burma

> 4 What two-word term both describes visual acuity and a form of the sport of cricket?

test match ??

> 5 Louis Armstrong International Airport is located in which American city?
> 6 Linke and gauche are the German and French equivalents of which English word?

left (and that's a sinister question)

> 7 The dramatised version of which 1976 Alex Haley novel is one of the most watched TV series of all time?

Roots

> 8 Which English mathematician and inventor is credited with having designed the world's first general-purpose computer in 1837?

Charles Babbage

> 9 What insect shares its name with a cocktail which includes Crème de Menthe and Crème de Cacao?

grasshopper ??

> 10 Not to be confused with a card game, what is the nickname for the New Zealand men's lawn bowls team?

--
Dan Tilque

Björn Lundin

Jul 14, 2016, 11:52:23 AM7/14/16
On 2016-07-13 01:14, Calvin wrote:
> 1 A lack of calcium in the diet causes what bone disease?
Osteriosis
> 2 Along with Faith and Hope, which Christian saint was martyred in the second century AD?
Love?
> 3 The city of Mandalay is located in which south east Asian country?
Burma
> 4 What two-word term both describes visual acuity and a form of the sport of cricket?
> 5 Louis Armstrong International Airport is located in which American city?
Atlanta?
> 6 Linke and gauche are the German and French equivalents of which English word?
Left. As in left side. But I think the german is links
> 7 The dramatised version of which 1976 Alex Haley novel is one of the most watched TV series of all time?
Roots
> 8 Which English mathematician and inventor is credited with having designed the world's first general-purpose computer in 1837?
Babbage
> 9 What insect shares its name with a cocktail which includes Crème de Menthe and Crème de Cacao?
Cockroach?
> 10 Not to be confused with a card game, what is the nickname for the New Zealand men's lawn bowls team?

> cheers,
> calvin

Björn

Marc Dashevsky

Jul 14, 2016, 11:19:02 PM7/14/16
In article <853072b0-dcf1-4c50...@googlegroups.com>, 334...@gmail.com says...

> 1 A lack of calcium in the diet causes what bone disease?
osteoporosis

> 2 Along with Faith and Hope, which Christian saint was martyred in the second century AD?
Charity

> 3 The city of Mandalay is located in which south east Asian country?
Burma

> 4 What two-word term both describes visual acuity and a form of the sport of cricket?
> 5 Louis Armstrong International Airport is located in which American city?
New Orleans

> 6 Linke and gauche are the German and French equivalents of which English word?
left

> 7 The dramatised version of which 1976 Alex Haley novel is one of the most watched TV series of all time?
Roots

> 8 Which English mathematician and inventor is credited with having designed the world's first general-purpose computer in 1837?
Babbage

> 9 What insect shares its name with a cocktail which includes Crème de Menthe and Crème de Cacao?
grasshopper

> 10 Not to be confused with a card game, what is the nickname for the New Zealand men's lawn bowls team?

Gareth Owen

Jul 15, 2016, 11:06:39 AM7/15/16
Calvin <334...@gmail.com> writes:

> 1 A lack of calcium in the diet causes what bone disease?

Osteoperosis

> 2 Along with Faith and Hope, which Christian saint was martyred in the
> second century AD?

Charity

> 3 The city of Mandalay is located in which south east Asian country?

Thailand?

> 4 What two-word term both describes visual acuity and a form of the
> sport of cricket?

Twenty20

> 5 Louis Armstrong International Airport is located in which American
> city?

New Orleans

> 6 Linke and gauche are the German and French equivalents of which
> English word?

Left

> 7 The dramatised version of which 1976 Alex Haley novel is one of the
> most watched TV series of all time?

Roots

> 8 Which English mathematician and inventor is credited with having
> designed the world's first general-purpose computer in 1837?

Babbage

> 9 What insect shares its name with a cocktail which includes Crème de
> Menthe and Crème de Cacao?

Grasshopper

> 10 Not to be confused with a card game, what is the nickname for the
> New Zealand men's lawn bowls team?

The Black Jacks, I assume. If it isn't, it bloody should be.
(Or the All Jacks, I guess. That works too)

Calvin

Jul 19, 2016, 11:17:55 PM7/19/16
On Thursday, July 14, 2016 at 6:31:27 PM UTC+10, Dan Tilque wrote:

> > 6 Linke and gauche are the German and French equivalents of which English word?
>
> left (and that's a sinister question)

Very droll :-)

cheers,
calvin

Calvin

Jul 19, 2016, 11:22:45 PM7/19/16
On Wednesday, July 13, 2016 at 9:14:29 AM UTC+10, Calvin wrote:

> 1 A lack of calcium in the diet causes what bone disease?

Rickets or Osteoporosis

> 2 Along with Faith and Hope, which Christian saint was martyred in the second century AD?

Charity

> 3 The city of Mandalay is located in which south east Asian country?

Burma / Myanmar

> 4 What two-word term both describes visual acuity and a form of the sport of cricket?

Twenty20

> 5 Louis Armstrong International Airport is located in which American city?

New Orleans

> 6 Linke and gauche are the German and French equivalents of which English word?

Left

> 7 The dramatised version of which 1976 Alex Haley novel is one of the most watched TV series of all time?

Roots

> 8 Which English mathematician and inventor is credited with having designed the world's first general-purpose computer in 1837?

Charles Babbage

> 9 What insect shares its name with a cocktail which includes Crème de Menthe and Crème de Cacao?

Grasshopper
And not cricket, alas

> 10 Not to be confused with a card game, what is the nickname for the New Zealand men's lawn bowls team?

The Black Jacks
Singleton to Gareth who worked it out. It helped if you knew that the white target bowl is called a jack, and/or that NZ sporting teams traditionally wear black uniforms.

Q1 Q2 Q3 Q4 Q5 Q6 Q7 Q8 Q9 Q10 TOTAL TB Quiz 448
1 1 0 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 9 48 Gareth Owen
1 1 0 1 1 1 1 1 1 0 8 47 Mark Brader
1 1 1 0 1 1 1 1 1 0 8 47 Marc Dashevsky
1 1 0 1 1 1 0 1 1 0 7 40 Peter Smyth
1 1 0 1 1 1 1 1 0 0 7 42 Pete Gayde
0 0 1 0 0 1 1 1 1 0 5 31 Dan Tilque
1 0 1 0 0 1 1 1 0 0 5 32 Bjorn Lundin
0 0 1 0 0 1 1 0 0 0 3 19 Erland S
- - - - - - - - - - --- ----------
6 5 4 4 5 8 7 7 5 1 52 65%

Congratulations Gareth.

cheers,
calvin

Erland Sommarskog

Jul 20, 2016, 4:16:46 AM7/20/16
Calvin (334...@gmail.com) writes:
> Singleton to Gareth who worked it out. It helped if you knew that the
> white target bowl is called a jack, and/or that NZ sporting teams
> traditionally wear black uniforms.

Except for All Whites then.

Calvin

Jul 24, 2016, 8:37:28 PM7/24/16
On Wednesday, July 20, 2016 at 6:16:46 PM UTC+10, Erland Sommarskog wrote:
> Calvin (334...@gmail.com) writes:
> > Singleton to Gareth who worked it out. It helped if you knew that the
> > white target bowl is called a jack, and/or that NZ sporting teams
> > traditionally wear black uniforms.
> >

> Except for All Whites then.

Yes, because back in the day soccer referees traditionally wore "all black".

cheers,
calvin