QFTCIMM Current Events Final

Mark Brader

Jul 27, 2011, 1:36:20 AM7/27/11
Now it's time for the final Current Events round from the season
just ended, from the Final. There are 15 questions in 5 groups.

These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2011-07-25,
and should be interpreted accordingly. If any answers have
changed due to newer news, you are still expected to give the
answers that were correct on that date.

Please post all your answers in a single followup to the newsgroup,
based only on your own knowledge. (In your answer posting,
quote the questions and place your answer below each one.)
I will reveal the correct answers in about 3 days. For further
information see my 2011-05-23 companion posting on "Questions
from the Canadian Inquisition (QFTCI5GNM, QFTCI11, QFTCIMM)".

All questions were written by members of the Misplaced Modifiers,
and are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and
may have been retyped and/or edited by me.

** Final, Round 1 - Current Events

* International

1. When it came out that London's Metropolitan Police
(a.k.a. Scotland Yard) had hired a former deputy editor of
the "News of the World" to advise on PR, the Commissioner
resigned. Name this ex-chief.

2. American General David Petraeus has handed over command of
NATO forces in Afghanistan. What will be his next job?

3. Within 10,000,000,000 euros, what is the announced cost of
the new rescue package for Greece?

* Arts and Entertainment

4. A freak windstorm toppled the main stage at Ottawa Bluesfest
Monday, leading to serious injuries. Who was on stage at
the time?

5. Fresh off a well-publicized break-up, this star's private
performance at a Ukrainian wedding netted a reported
$1,000,000. That should help with the alimony payments.
Name the star.

6. He kept Ontarians company on Saturday nights for 25 years,
from 1974 to 1999. Name the TV personality who died Friday
at the age of 86.

* Local

7. Possibly in an effort to justify future cutbacks to libraries,
Councillor Doug Ford erroneously pointed out that in his
"area", there are more libraries than what?

8. With the aim of reducing disease, the Faculty of Engineering
at the U of T was one of only 8 universities in North
America to be awarded $400,000 from the Bill and Melinda
Gates Foundation to develop a new, efficient, low-cost what?

9. What new area code will be introduced in Toronto starting
March 25, 2013?

* National

10. In Kananaskis, energy ministers developing a national
energy plan fell out over the wording of the meeting's
final communique, when Ontario's Energy Minister Brad Duguid
objected to the use of two adjectives describing Alberta's
oil sands. Give either adjective.

11. Despite repeated pressure from the National Capital
Commission and a 3-year-old Auditor General's report urging
haste, the Prime Minister's office confirmed last week that
he has no plans to speed up the $10,000,000 renovation of
which nationally significant structure?

12. Statistics Canada data released last week states that the
police-reported crime rate, measuring the overall volume of
crime in Canada, has reached its lowest level since what year?

* Sports

13. TFC fielded a number of new players at Wednesday's game,
including two new designated players. Name either.

14. Who was the winner of this year's British Open?

15. The Blue Jays announced they would retire Robbie Alomar's
uniform number. This is the first number ever retired by
the team. What is the number?

--
Mark Brader | "I noted with some interest that Fahrenheit was
Toronto | also used in the weather forecast, but there the

Calvin

Jul 27, 2011, 2:08:16 AM7/27/11
On Wed, 27 Jul 2011 15:36:20 +1000, Mark Brader <m...@vex.net> wrote:

> ** Final, Round 1 - Current Events
>
> * International
>
> 1. When it came out that London's Metropolitan Police
> (a.k.a. Scotland Yard) had hired a former deputy editor of
> the "News of the World" to advise on PR, the Commissioner
> resigned. Name this ex-chief.

Yates?

> 2. American General David Petraeus has handed over command of
> NATO forces in Afghanistan. What will be his next job?

Chief of the CIA, Chief of the FBI

> 3. Within 10,000,000,000 euros, what is the announced cost of
> the new rescue package for Greece?

120 billion, 140 billion euros

> * Arts and Entertainment
>
> 4. A freak windstorm toppled the main stage at Ottawa Bluesfest
> Monday, leading to serious injuries. Who was on stage at
> the time?

Beiber?

> 5. Fresh off a well-publicized break-up, this star's private
> performance at a Ukrainian wedding netted a reported
> $1,000,000. That should help with the alimony payments.
> Name the star.

J Lo?

> 6. He kept Ontarians company on Saturday nights for 25 years,
> from 1974 to 1999. Name the TV personality who died Friday
> at the age of 86.
>

> * Local
>
> 7. Possibly in an effort to justify future cutbacks to libraries,
> Councillor Doug Ford erroneously pointed out that in his
> "area", there are more libraries than what?
>
> 8. With the aim of reducing disease, the Faculty of Engineering
> at the U of T was one of only 8 universities in North
> America to be awarded $400,000 from the Bill and Melinda
> Gates Foundation to develop a new, efficient, low-cost what?

Malaria vaccine, AIDS drugs

> 9. What new area code will be introduced in Toronto starting
> March 25, 2013?
>

> * National
>
> 10. In Kananaskis, energy ministers developing a national
> energy plan fell out over the wording of the meeting's
> final communique, when Ontario's Energy Minister Brad Duguid
> objected to the use of two adjectives describing Alberta's
> oil sands. Give either adjective.
>
> 11. Despite repeated pressure from the National Capital
> Commission and a 3-year-old Auditor General's report urging
> haste, the Prime Minister's office confirmed last week that
> he has no plans to speed up the $10,000,000 renovation of
> which nationally significant structure?
>
> 12. Statistics Canada data released last week states that the
> police-reported crime rate, measuring the overall volume of
> crime in Canada, has reached its lowest level since what year?
>

> * Sports
>
> 13. TFC fielded a number of new players at Wednesday's game,
> including two new designated players. Name either.
>
> 14. Who was the winner of this year's British Open?

McIlroy

--

cheers,
calvin

Dan Blum

Jul 27, 2011, 12:35:44 PM7/27/11
Mark Brader <m...@vex.net> wrote:

> ** Final, Round 1 - Current Events

> * International

> 1. When it came out that London's Metropolitan Police
> (a.k.a. Scotland Yard) had hired a former deputy editor of
> the "News of the World" to advise on PR, the Commissioner
> resigned. Name this ex-chief.

Harrington

> 2. American General David Petraeus has handed over command of
> NATO forces in Afghanistan. What will be his next job?

Director of the Central Intelligence Agency

> 3. Within 10,000,000,000 euros, what is the announced cost of
> the new rescue package for Greece?

45,000,000,000 euro; 110,000,000,000 euro

> * Arts and Entertainment

> 5. Fresh off a well-publicized break-up, this star's private
> performance at a Ukrainian wedding netted a reported
> $1,000,000. That should help with the alimony payments.
> Name the star.

Marc Anthony

> * Local

> 7. Possibly in an effort to justify future cutbacks to libraries,
> Councillor Doug Ford erroneously pointed out that in his
> "area", there are more libraries than what?

Tim Horton's

> 8. With the aim of reducing disease, the Faculty of Engineering
> at the U of T was one of only 8 universities in North
> America to be awarded $400,000 from the Bill and Melinda
> Gates Foundation to develop a new, efficient, low-cost what?

water purification system

> * National

> 10. In Kananaskis, energy ministers developing a national
> energy plan fell out over the wording of the meeting's
> final communique, when Ontario's Energy Minister Brad Duguid
> objected to the use of two adjectives describing Alberta's
> oil sands. Give either adjective.

limited

> 12. Statistics Canada data released last week states that the
> police-reported crime rate, measuring the overall volume of
> crime in Canada, has reached its lowest level since what year?

1957; 1965

> * Sports

> 15. The Blue Jays announced they would retire Robbie Alomar's
> uniform number. This is the first number ever retired by
> the team. What is the number?

17; 24

Dan Blum to...@panix.com

Peter Smyth

Jul 27, 2011, 1:45:25 PM7/27/11
"Mark Brader" wrote in message

>** Final, Round 1 - Current Events
>
>* International
>
>1. When it came out that London's Metropolitan Police
> (a.k.a. Scotland Yard) had hired a former deputy editor of
> the "News of the World" to advise on PR, the Commissioner
> resigned. Name this ex-chief.

Sir Paul Stephenson

>2. American General David Petraeus has handed over command of
> NATO forces in Afghanistan. What will be his next job?

Chairman of the Joint Chiefs

>3. Within 10,000,000,000 euros, what is the announced cost of
> the new rescue package for Greece?

140bn, 160bn

>* Arts and Entertainment
>
>4. A freak windstorm toppled the main stage at Ottawa Bluesfest
> Monday, leading to serious injuries. Who was on stage at
> the time?

Justin Bieber

>5. Fresh off a well-publicized break-up, this star's private
> performance at a Ukrainian wedding netted a reported
> $1,000,000. That should help with the alimony payments.
> Name the star.

Justin Bieber

>6. He kept Ontarians company on Saturday nights for 25 years,
> from 1974 to 1999. Name the TV personality who died Friday
> at the age of 86.
>

>* Local
>
>7. Possibly in an effort to justify future cutbacks to libraries,
> Councillor Doug Ford erroneously pointed out that in his
> "area", there are more libraries than what?

Starbucks

>8. With the aim of reducing disease, the Faculty of Engineering
> at the U of T was one of only 8 universities in North
> America to be awarded $400,000 from the Bill and Melinda
> Gates Foundation to develop a new, efficient, low-cost what?

malaria treatments

>9. What new area code will be introduced in Toronto starting
> March 25, 2013?
>

>* National
>
>10. In Kananaskis, energy ministers developing a national
> energy plan fell out over the wording of the meeting's
> final communique, when Ontario's Energy Minister Brad Duguid
> objected to the use of two adjectives describing Alberta's
> oil sands. Give either adjective.
>
>11. Despite repeated pressure from the National Capital
> Commission and a 3-year-old Auditor General's report urging
> haste, the Prime Minister's office confirmed last week that
> he has no plans to speed up the $10,000,000 renovation of
> which nationally significant structure?
>
>12. Statistics Canada data released last week states that the
> police-reported crime rate, measuring the overall volume of
> crime in Canada, has reached its lowest level since what year?
>

>* Sports
>
>13. TFC fielded a number of new players at Wednesday's game,
> including two new designated players. Name either.
>
>14. Who was the winner of this year's British Open?

Darren Clarke

>15. The Blue Jays announced they would retire Robbie Alomar's
> uniform number. This is the first number ever retired by
> the team. What is the number?

Peter Smyth

Erland Sommarskog

Jul 27, 2011, 5:35:43 PM7/27/11
Mark Brader (m...@vex.net) writes:
> 1. When it came out that London's Metropolitan Police
> (a.k.a. Scotland Yard) had hired a former deputy editor of
> the "News of the World" to advise on PR, the Commissioner
> resigned. Name this ex-chief.

Stephenson

> 2. American General David Petraeus has handed over command of
> NATO forces in Afghanistan. What will be his next job?

Security Advisor to Obama

> 3. Within 10,000,000,000 euros, what is the announced cost of
> the new rescue package for Greece?

138E9�

Not what I call a secure claim.

> 9. What new area code will be introduced in Toronto starting
> March 25, 2013?

013

> 15. The Blue Jays announced they would retire Robbie Alomar's
> uniform number. This is the first number ever retired by
> the team. What is the number?

16

Joshua Kreitzer

Jul 27, 2011, 9:51:04 PM7/27/11
On Jul 27, 12:36 am, m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote:

> ** Final, Round 1 - Current Events
>

> 3. Within 10,000,000,000 euros, what is the announced cost of
>    the new rescue package for Greece?

50 billion euros; 70 billion euros

> 5. Fresh off a well-publicized break-up, this star's private
>    performance at a Ukrainian wedding netted a reported
>    $1,000,000.  That should help with the alimony payments.
>    Name the star.

Jennifer Lopez

> 7. Possibly in an effort to justify future cutbacks to libraries,
>    Councillor Doug Ford erroneously pointed out that in his
>    "area", there are more libraries than what?

bookstores; movie theaters

> 13. TFC fielded a number of new players at Wednesday's game,
>    including two new designated players.  Name either.

I don't even know what a designated player is or what sport he or she
plays.

> 14. Who was the winner of this year's British Open?

Rory McIlroy (?)

--
Joshua Kreitzer
grom...@hotmail.com

Marc Dashevsky

Jul 28, 2011, 12:01:20 AM7/28/11
In article <dsKdnb0Chr9JPrLT...@vex.net>, m...@vex.net says...

> ** Final, Round 1 - Current Events
>
> * International
>
> 1. When it came out that London's Metropolitan Police
> (a.k.a. Scotland Yard) had hired a former deputy editor of
> the "News of the World" to advise on PR, the Commissioner
> resigned. Name this ex-chief.
>
> 2. American General David Petraeus has handed over command of
> NATO forces in Afghanistan. What will be his next job?
Head of the CIA

> 3. Within 10,000,000,000 euros, what is the announced cost of
> the new rescue package for Greece?

--
Go to http://MarcDashevsky.com to send me e-mail.

Rob Parker

Jul 28, 2011, 6:54:25 PM7/28/11
> ** Final, Round 1 - Current Events
>
> 1. When it came out that London's Metropolitan Police
> (a.k.a. Scotland Yard) had hired a former deputy editor of
> the "News of the World" to advise on PR, the Commissioner
> resigned. Name this ex-chief.

John Yates

> 3. Within 10,000,000,000 euros, what is the announced cost of
> the new rescue package for Greece?

110 billion; 140 billion

> 7. Possibly in an effort to justify future cutbacks to libraries,
> Councillor Doug Ford erroneously pointed out that in his
> "area", there are more libraries than what?

convenience stores; gas stations

> 10. In Kananaskis, energy ministers developing a national
> energy plan fell out over the wording of the meeting's
> final communique, when Ontario's Energy Minister Brad Duguid
> objected to the use of two adjectives describing Alberta's
> oil sands. Give either adjective.

accessible; renewable

> 11. Despite repeated pressure from the National Capital
> Commission and a 3-year-old Auditor General's report urging
> haste, the Prime Minister's office confirmed last week that
> he has no plans to speed up the $10,000,000 renovation of
> which nationally significant structure?

Government House; National Library

> 12. Statistics Canada data released last week states that the
> police-reported crime rate, measuring the overall volume of
> crime in Canada, has reached its lowest level since what year?

1975; 1962

> 14. Who was the winner of this year's British Open?

Not Rory McIlroy

> 15. The Blue Jays announced they would retire Robbie Alomar's
> uniform number. This is the first number ever retired by
> the team. What is the number?

42

Rob

Jeffrey Turner

Jul 29, 2011, 4:36:09 PM7/29/11

300,000,000,000

> * Arts and Entertainment
>
> 4. A freak windstorm toppled the main stage at Ottawa Bluesfest
> Monday, leading to serious injuries. Who was on stage at
> the time?

Cheap Trick

Pete

Jul 29, 2011, 11:02:39 PM7/29/11
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in

> Now it's time for the final Current Events round from the season
> just ended, from the Final. There are 15 questions in 5 groups.
>
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2011-07-25,
> and should be interpreted accordingly. If any answers have
> changed due to newer news, you are still expected to give the
> answers that were correct on that date.

> Please post all your answers in a single followup to the newsgroup,
> based only on your own knowledge. (In your answer posting,
> quote the questions and place your answer below each one.)
> I will reveal the correct answers in about 3 days. For further
> information see my 2011-05-23 companion posting on "Questions
> from the Canadian Inquisition (QFTCI5GNM, QFTCI11, QFTCIMM)".
>
> All questions were written by members of the Misplaced Modifiers,
> and are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and
> may have been retyped and/or edited by me.
>

> ** Final, Round 1 - Current Events
>
> * International
>
> 1. When it came out that London's Metropolitan Police
> (a.k.a. Scotland Yard) had hired a former deputy editor of
> the "News of the World" to advise on PR, the Commissioner
> resigned. Name this ex-chief.

Coulson

> 2. American General David Petraeus has handed over command of
> NATO forces in Afghanistan. What will be his next job?

University president

> 3. Within 10,000,000,000 euros, what is the announced cost of
> the new rescue package for Greece?

60,000,000,000

> * Arts and Entertainment
>
> 4. A freak windstorm toppled the main stage at Ottawa Bluesfest
> Monday, leading to serious injuries. Who was on stage at
> the time?
>
> 5. Fresh off a well-publicized break-up, this star's private
> performance at a Ukrainian wedding netted a reported
> $1,000,000. That should help with the alimony payments.
> Name the star.
>
> 6. He kept Ontarians company on Saturday nights for 25 years,
> from 1974 to 1999. Name the TV personality who died Friday
> at the age of 86.
>

> * Local
>
> 7. Possibly in an effort to justify future cutbacks to libraries,
> Councillor Doug Ford erroneously pointed out that in his
> "area", there are more libraries than what?

Starbucks

> 8. With the aim of reducing disease, the Faculty of Engineering
> at the U of T was one of only 8 universities in North
> America to be awarded $400,000 from the Bill and Melinda
> Gates Foundation to develop a new, efficient, low-cost what?
>
> 9. What new area code will be introduced in Toronto starting
> March 25, 2013?
>

> * National
>
> 10. In Kananaskis, energy ministers developing a national
> energy plan fell out over the wording of the meeting's
> final communique, when Ontario's Energy Minister Brad Duguid
> objected to the use of two adjectives describing Alberta's
> oil sands. Give either adjective.
>
> 11. Despite repeated pressure from the National Capital
> Commission and a 3-year-old Auditor General's report urging
> haste, the Prime Minister's office confirmed last week that
> he has no plans to speed up the $10,000,000 renovation of
> which nationally significant structure?
>
> 12. Statistics Canada data released last week states that the
> police-reported crime rate, measuring the overall volume of
> crime in Canada, has reached its lowest level since what year?
>

> * Sports
>
> 13. TFC fielded a number of new players at Wednesday's game,
> including two new designated players. Name either.
>
> 14. Who was the winner of this year's British Open?

Clarke

> 15. The Blue Jays announced they would retire Robbie Alomar's
> uniform number. This is the first number ever retired by
> the team. What is the number?

10 (Didn't they retire 42 for Jackie Robinson?)

Pete

Dan Tilque

Jul 29, 2011, 11:54:01 PM7/29/11
Mark Brader wrote:

> ** Final, Round 1 - Current Events
>
> * International
>
> 1. When it came out that London's Metropolitan Police
> (a.k.a. Scotland Yard) had hired a former deputy editor of
> the "News of the World" to advise on PR, the Commissioner
> resigned. Name this ex-chief.
>
> 2. American General David Petraeus has handed over command of
> NATO forces in Afghanistan. What will be his next job?

Director of CIA

> 3. Within 10,000,000,000 euros, what is the announced cost of
> the new rescue package for Greece?

150 billion

> * Arts and Entertainment
>
> 4. A freak windstorm toppled the main stage at Ottawa Bluesfest
> Monday, leading to serious injuries. Who was on stage at
> the time?
>
> 5. Fresh off a well-publicized break-up, this star's private
> performance at a Ukrainian wedding netted a reported
> $1,000,000. That should help with the alimony payments.
> Name the star.
>
> 6. He kept Ontarians company on Saturday nights for 25 years,
> from 1974 to 1999. Name the TV personality who died Friday
> at the age of 86.
>

> * Local
>
> 7. Possibly in an effort to justify future cutbacks to libraries,
> Councillor Doug Ford erroneously pointed out that in his
> "area", there are more libraries than what?

police stations

> 8. With the aim of reducing disease, the Faculty of Engineering
> at the U of T was one of only 8 universities in North
> America to be awarded $400,000 from the Bill and Melinda
> Gates Foundation to develop a new, efficient, low-cost what?

IUD

> 9. What new area code will be introduced in Toronto starting
> March 25, 2013?

972

> * National
>
> 10. In Kananaskis, energy ministers developing a national
> energy plan fell out over the wording of the meeting's
> final communique, when Ontario's Energy Minister Brad Duguid
> objected to the use of two adjectives describing Alberta's
> oil sands. Give either adjective.

clean

> 11. Despite repeated pressure from the National Capital
> Commission and a 3-year-old Auditor General's report urging
> haste, the Prime Minister's office confirmed last week that
> he has no plans to speed up the $10,000,000 renovation of
> which nationally significant structure?

Parliament building

> 12. Statistics Canada data released last week states that the
> police-reported crime rate, measuring the overall volume of
> crime in Canada, has reached its lowest level since what year?

1954

7

--
Dan Tilque

Mark Brader

Jul 30, 2011, 1:00:20 AM7/30/11
Mark Brader:

>> 15. The Blue Jays announced they would retire Robbie Alomar's
>> uniform number. This is the first number ever retired by
>> the team. What is the number?

Pete Gayde:

> (Didn't they retire 42 for Jackie Robinson?)

Different "they". That was a league-wide action (i.e. MLB).
--
Mark Brader Safire's Rule on Who-Whom:
Toronto "Whenever 'whom' sounds correct, recast the sentence."

Mark Brader

Jul 30, 2011, 1:13:26 AM7/30/11
Mark Brader:

> Now it's time for the final Current Events round from the season
> just ended, from the Final... These questions were written to be

> asked in Toronto on 2011-07-25, and should be interpreted
> accordingly. If any answers have changed due to newer news,
> you are still expected to give the answers that were correct on
> that date... For further information see my 2011-05-23 companion

> posting on "Questions from the Canadian Inquisition (QFTCI5GNM,
> QFTCI11, QFTCIMM)".

Well, this was a tough round and nobody scored more than 10 points.
JOSHUA KREITZER hangs on to win the current events game for the season.
Congratulations!

> ** Final (2011-07-25), Round 1 - Current Events

> * International

> 1. When it came out that London's Metropolitan Police
> (a.k.a. Scotland Yard) had hired a former deputy editor of
> the "News of the World" to advise on PR, the Commissioner
> resigned. Name this ex-chief.

Sir Paul Stephenson. 4 for Peter and Erland.

> 2. American General David Petraeus has handed over command of
> NATO forces in Afghanistan. What will be his next job?

Head of the CIA. 4 for Dan Blum, Marc, and Dan Tilque. 3 for Calvin.

> 3. Within 10,000,000,000 euros, what is the announced cost of
> the new rescue package for Greece?

109,000,000,000 euros (accepting 99,000,000,000-119,000,000,000).
3 for Rob. 2 for Dan Blum.

> * Arts and Entertainment

> 4. A freak windstorm toppled the main stage at Ottawa Bluesfest
> Monday, leading to serious injuries. Who was on stage at
> the time?

Cheap Trick. 4 for Jeff.

> 5. Fresh off a well-publicized break-up, this star's private
> performance at a Ukrainian wedding netted a reported
> $1,000,000. That should help with the alimony payments.
> Name the star.

Jennifer Lopez. 4 for Calvin and Joshua.

> 6. He kept Ontarians company on Saturday nights for 25 years,
> from 1974 to 1999. Name the TV personality who died Friday
> at the age of 86.

Elwy Yost. (Specifically, he appeared on TVOntario, the local
PBS-equivalent, introducing movies and interviewing filmmakers
and stars.)

> * Local

> 7. Possibly in an effort to justify future cutbacks to libraries,
> Councillor Doug Ford erroneously pointed out that in his
> "area", there are more libraries than what?

Tim Hortons locations. 4 for Dan Blum.

> 8. With the aim of reducing disease, the Faculty of Engineering
> at the U of T was one of only 8 universities in North
> America to be awarded $400,000 from the Bill and Melinda
> Gates Foundation to develop a new, efficient, low-cost what?

Toilet.

> 9. What new area code will be introduced in Toronto starting
> March 25, 2013?

437 (not 387, which has been set aside for future use, but on no
definite schedule).

> * National

> 10. In Kananaskis, energy ministers developing a national
> energy plan fell out over the wording of the meeting's
> final communique, when Ontario's Energy Minister Brad Duguid
> objected to the use of two adjectives describing Alberta's
> oil sands. Give either adjective.

Responsible, sustainable.

> 11. Despite repeated pressure from the National Capital
> Commission and a 3-year-old Auditor General's report urging
> haste, the Prime Minister's office confirmed last week that
> he has no plans to speed up the $10,000,000 renovation of
> which nationally significant structure?

24 Sussex Dr. (The PM's residence.)

> 12. Statistics Canada data released last week states that the
> police-reported crime rate, measuring the overall volume of
> crime in Canada, has reached its lowest level since what year?

1973. Rob's guess was closest.

> * Sports

> 13. TFC fielded a number of new players at Wednesday's game,
> including two new designated players. Name either.

Torsten Frings, Danny Koevermans.

> 14. Who was the winner of this year's British Open?

Darren Clarke. 4 for Peter and Pete.

#12.

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAMES-> 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 F BEST NINE
Joshua Kreitzer 16 23 20 8 20 20 14 16 15 23 4 167
Dan Blum 18 13 18 6 22 20 12 24 14 16 10 157
Marc Dashevsky 20 8 20 4 16 20 16 12 19 16 4 147
Pete Gayde 22 8 16 4 20 24 -- -- 16 19 4 133
Peter Smyth 19 14 12 4 20 8 16 4 7 24 8 128
Erland Sommarskog 16 12 12 8 8 12 4 16 12 16 4 112
Dan Tilque 16 8 12 8 12 12 8 16 8 12 4 104
Jeff Turner 12 8 20 0 12 12 8 8 6 16 4 102
"Calvin" 13 15 7 4 16 15 -- -- 15 10 7 102
Stephen Perry 28 24 -- -- -- -- -- -- 10 32 -- 94
Rob Parker -- -- 10 0 16 12 8 8 10 10 3 77

--
Mark Brader | "It never occurred to me that a living person could be
Toronto | used as a blowtorch, but we admit human beings are a

Mark Brader

Jul 30, 2011, 1:17:43 AM7/30/11
Sorry, I forgot to change the subject line when posting the answers
and results for the Current Events game. Please see the immediately
preceding posting in the thread for them.
--
Mark Brader, Toronto "More importantly, Mark is just plain wrong."
m...@vex.net -- John Hollingsworth

Erland Sommarskog

Jul 30, 2011, 5:41:42 AM7/30/11
Mark Brader (m...@vex.net) writes:
>> 3. Within 10,000,000,000 euros, what is the announced cost of
>> the new rescue package for Greece?
>
> 109,000,000,000 euros (accepting 99,000,000,000-119,000,000,000).
> 3 for Rob. 2 for Dan Blum.

This question is a little tricky. When searching Swedish web sites on
Google using "paket Grekland miljarder", the number comes up is 158.6
milliards. That is the total value. However, 49.6 milliards is expected
to come from the private sector and 109 milliards is the cost for the
countries in the euro zone and IMF.

Thus, it seems reasonable to accept answers in the ranges 99-119 as well
as 149-159. I don't know if there were any answers in the latter range.
(Mine wasn't.)

Mark Brader

Jul 30, 2011, 10:20:28 AM7/30/11
Mark Brader:

>>> 3. Within 10,000,000,000 euros, what is the announced cost of
>>> the new rescue package for Greece?

>> 109,000,000,000 euros (accepting 99,000,000,000-119,000,000,000).
>> 3 for Rob. 2 for Dan Blum.

Erland Sommarskog:

> This question is a little tricky. When searching Swedish web sites on
> Google using "paket Grekland miljarder", the number comes up is 158.6
> milliards. That is the total value. However, 49.6 milliards is expected
> to come from the private sector and 109 milliards is the cost for the
> countries in the euro zone and IMF.

Okay, accepting 99,000,000,000-119,000,000,000 *and*
148,600,000,000-168,600,000,000.

4 for Rob (the hard way). 2 for Dan Blum, Peter, and Dan Tilque.

Correct scores, if there are no further errors:

GAMES-> 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 F BEST NINE
Joshua Kreitzer 16 23 20 8 20 20 14 16 15 23 4 167
Dan Blum 18 13 18 6 22 20 12 24 14 16 10 157
Marc Dashevsky 20 8 20 4 16 20 16 12 19 16 4 147
Pete Gayde 22 8 16 4 20 24 -- -- 16 19 4 133
Peter Smyth 19 14 12 4 20 8 16 4 7 24 8 128

Erland Sommarskog 16 12 12 8 8 12 4 16 12 16 6 112
Dan Tilque 16 8 12 8 12 12 8 16 8 12 6 104

Jeff Turner 12 8 20 0 12 12 8 8 6 16 4 102
"Calvin" 13 15 7 4 16 15 -- -- 15 10 7 102
Stephen Perry 28 24 -- -- -- -- -- -- 10 32 -- 94

Rob Parker -- -- 10 0 16 12 8 8 10 10 4 78

--
Mark Brader, Toronto, m...@vex.net
"sci fi: the plural of scum fum" -- Spider Robinson

Mark Brader

Jul 30, 2011, 10:23:52 AM7/30/11
Mark Brader:

>>> 109,000,000,000 euros (accepting 99,000,000,000-119,000,000,000).
>>> 3 for Rob. 2 for Dan Blum.
> Okay, accepting 99,000,000,000-119,000,000,000 *and*
> 148,600,000,000-168,600,000,000.
>
> 4 for Rob (the hard way). 2 for Dan Blum, Peter, and Dan Tilque.

Arrgh, no. Rob's second guess was 140,000,000,000, thus still out
of range. Please pardon my absentmindedness. It should be:

3 for Rob. 2 for Dan Blum, Peter, and Dan Tilque.

Correct scores, if there are *now* no further errors:

GAMES-> 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 F BEST NINE
Joshua Kreitzer 16 23 20 8 20 20 14 16 15 23 4 167
Dan Blum 18 13 18 6 22 20 12 24 14 16 10 157
Marc Dashevsky 20 8 20 4 16 20 16 12 19 16 4 147
Pete Gayde 22 8 16 4 20 24 -- -- 16 19 4 133
Peter Smyth 19 14 12 4 20 8 16 4 7 24 8 128
Erland Sommarskog 16 12 12 8 8 12 4 16 12 16 6 112
Dan Tilque 16 8 12 8 12 12 8 16 8 12 6 104
Jeff Turner 12 8 20 0 12 12 8 8 6 16 4 102
"Calvin" 13 15 7 4 16 15 -- -- 15 10 7 102
Stephen Perry 28 24 -- -- -- -- -- -- 10 32 -- 94

Rob Parker -- -- 10 0 16 12 8 8 10 10 3 77

This means nobody's final score actually benefits from the change,
although Peter and Dan Tilque's round scores do.
--
Mark Brader "When a supposedly indivisible transaction
Toronto fails to complete properly, this is known