RQ 122: Peel Slowly And See

Gareth Owen

Nov 10, 2013, 2:58:12 PM11/10/13
Answer slates will be scored on Friday 15th November,
some time after 2pm, TC

1. In Shakespeare's Twelfth Night, what relation is the servant Cesario
to Sebastian?

2. In which city were the National League baseball team the Giants based,
before being moved to San Francisco?

3. Which magazine, circulated in Sunday newspapers in the USA, is
considered the most widely read in America?

4. With a shade of which primary colour is the artist Yves Klein best
associated?

5. Counting homophones as the same name (i.e. ignoring minor differences
in spelling), which given name belonged to only one of Henry VIII's
wives?

6. For what film did Jamie Foxx win an Academy Award for "Best Actor"?

7. Which game prominently features "Brain Freeze", "Bread Basket" and
"Wrenched Ankle"?

8. In votes in Britain's House of Commons votes against a Bill are
tallied as "Noes". What are votes for the Bill called?

9. Which 1974 Francis Ford Coppola thriller, one of the few films
starring actor John Cazale, features Cazale and Gene Hackman as
surveillance experts who spies on a supposedly unfaithful partner ?

10. Which band had hits with "Ballroom Blitz" and "Block Buster"?

11. What does the letter 'P' stand for in the name of the beer called IPA?

12. Of whom is Reza Aslan's book "Zealot" a biography?

13. Which sequence of horror movies features Michael Myers as the main
antagonist?

14. An Illinois inventor named Elisha Gray was embroiled in a lengthy
controversy with a better known man, over who first came up with a
now-ubiquitous invention. Which invention was disputed?

15. Who supposedly rode naked through the streets of Coventry to protest
excessive taxation? (fortunately, this tactic has not been adopted by
the Tea Party)

16. In which German State is the borough of Wansee, site of the infamous
1942 Wansee Conference, which codified the Nazi "Final Solution"?

17. What was the most common nickname of jazz singer Billie Holiday?

18. Which musician, the primary songwriter for the Velvet Undergound, died
October 27, 2013?

swp

Nov 10, 2013, 3:36:31 PM11/10/13
On Sunday, November 10, 2013 2:58:12 PM UTC-5, Gareth Owen wrote:
> Answer slates will be scored on Friday 15th November,
> some time after 2pm, TC
>
> 1. In Shakespeare's Twelfth Night, what relation is the servant Cesario
> to Sebastian?

twin sister

> 2. In which city were the National League baseball team the Giants based,
> before being moved to San Francisco?

new york

> 3. Which magazine, circulated in Sunday newspapers in the USA, is
> considered the most widely read in America?

parade

> 4. With a shade of which primary colour is the artist Yves Klein best
> associated?

blue

> 5. Counting homophones as the same name (i.e. ignoring minor differences
> in spelling), which given name belonged to only one of Henry VIII's
> wives?

jane

> 6. For what film did Jamie Foxx win an Academy Award for "Best Actor"?

ray

> 7. Which game prominently features "Brain Freeze", "Bread Basket" and
> "Wrenched Ankle"?

operation

> 8. In votes in Britain's House of Commons votes against a Bill are
> tallied as "Noes". What are votes for the Bill called?

ayes

> 9. Which 1974 Francis Ford Coppola thriller, one of the few films
> starring actor John Cazale, features Cazale and Gene Hackman as
> surveillance experts who spies on a supposedly unfaithful partner ?

the conversation

> 10. Which band had hits with "Ballroom Blitz" and "Block Buster"?

the ramones

> 11. What does the letter 'P' stand for in the name of the beer called IPA?

pale

> 12. Of whom is Reza Aslan's book "Zealot" a biography?

jesus of nazareth

> 13. Which sequence of horror movies features Michael Myers as the main
> antagonist?

halloween

> 14. An Illinois inventor named Elisha Gray was embroiled in a lengthy
> controversy with a better known man, over who first came up with a
> now-ubiquitous invention. Which invention was disputed?

telephone

> 15. Who supposedly rode naked through the streets of Coventry to protest
> excessive taxation? (fortunately, this tactic has not been adopted by
> the Tea Party)

lady godiva

> 16. In which German State is the borough of Wansee, site of the infamous
> 1942 Wansee Conference, which codified the Nazi "Final Solution"?

berlin

> 17. What was the most common nickname of jazz singer Billie Holiday?

lady day

> 18. Which musician, the primary songwriter for the Velvet Undergound, died
> October 27, 2013?

lou reed

swp

Gareth Owen

Nov 10, 2013, 3:49:52 PM11/10/13
swp <Stephen...@gmail.com> writes:

[A pretty decent answer slate]

Care to "piece together" the theme?

Mark Brader

Nov 10, 2013, 4:28:50 PM11/10/13
Gareth Owen:
> Answer slates will be scored on Friday 15th November,
> some time after 2pm, TC

What's TC?

> 1. In Shakespeare's Twelfth Night, what relation is the servant Cesario
> to Sebastian?

Brother.

> 2. In which city were the National League baseball team the Giants based,
> before being moved to San Francisco?

New York.

> 3. Which magazine, circulated in Sunday newspapers in the USA, is
> considered the most widely read in America?

"Parade".

> 4. With a shade of which primary colour is the artist Yves Klein best
> associated?

Blue.

> 5. Counting homophones as the same name (i.e. ignoring minor differences
> in spelling), which given name belonged to only one of Henry VIII's
> wives?

Jane.

> 6. For what film did Jamie Foxx win an Academy Award for "Best Actor"?

"Ray".

> 7. Which game prominently features "Brain Freeze", "Bread Basket" and
> "Wrenched Ankle"?

"Operation".

> 8. In votes in Britain's House of Commons votes against a Bill are
> tallied as "Noes". What are votes for the Bill called?

"Ayes".

> 9. Which 1974 Francis Ford Coppola thriller, one of the few films
> starring actor John Cazale, features Cazale and Gene Hackman as
> surveillance experts who spies on a supposedly unfaithful partner ?

"The Conversation".

> 10. Which band had hits with "Ballroom Blitz" and "Block Buster"?

Who?

> 11. What does the letter 'P' stand for in the name of the beer called IPA?

Pale.

> 12. Of whom is Reza Aslan's book "Zealot" a biography?

Bush.

> 13. Which sequence of horror movies features Michael Myers as the main
> antagonist?

"Halloween".

> 14. An Illinois inventor named Elisha Gray was embroiled in a lengthy
> controversy with a better known man, over who first came up with a
> now-ubiquitous invention. Which invention was disputed?

Telephone.

> 15. Who supposedly rode naked through the streets of Coventry to protest
> excessive taxation? (fortunately, this tactic has not been adopted by
> the Tea Party)

Lady Godiva.

> 16. In which German State is the borough of Wansee, site of the infamous
> 1942 Wansee Conference, which codified the Nazi "Final Solution"?

Brandenburg.

> 17. What was the most common nickname of jazz singer Billie Holiday?

"Lady".

> 18. Which musician, the primary songwriter for the Velvet Undergound, died
> October 27, 2013?

Johnson.
--
Mark Brader, Toronto "Just because it's correct doesn't
m...@vex.net make it right!" -- Jonas Schlein

Erland Sommarskog

Nov 10, 2013, 5:15:40 PM11/10/13
Gareth Owen (gwo...@gmail.com) writes:
> 1. In Shakespeare's Twelfth Night, what relation is the servant Cesario
> to Sebastian?

Cousins

> 8. In votes in Britain's House of Commons votes against a Bill are
> tallied as "Noes". What are votes for the Bill called?

Ayes

> 10. Which band had hits with "Ballroom Blitz" and "Block Buster"?

Sweet

> 11. What does the letter 'P' stand for in the name of the beer called IPA?

Phonetic. Wait, the IPA I have in mind is an alphabet, not a beer..

> 14. An Illinois inventor named Elisha Gray was embroiled in a lengthy
> controversy with a better known man, over who first came up with a
> now-ubiquitous invention. Which invention was disputed?

Lightbulb

> 16. In which German State is the borough of Wansee, site of the infamous
> 1942 Wansee Conference, which codified the Nazi "Final Solution"?

Bavaria

> 18. Which musician, the primary songwriter for the Velvet Undergound, died
> October 27, 2013?

Lou Reed

Jeffrey Turner

Nov 10, 2013, 8:39:18 PM11/10/13
On 11/10/2013 2:58 PM, Gareth Owen wrote:
> Answer slates will be scored on Friday 15th November,
> some time after 2pm, TC
>
> 1. In Shakespeare's Twelfth Night, what relation is the servant Cesario
> to Sebastian?
>
> 2. In which city were the National League baseball team the Giants based,
> before being moved to San Francisco?

New York (the Polo Grounds)

> 3. Which magazine, circulated in Sunday newspapers in the USA, is
> considered the most widely read in America?

Parade

> 4. With a shade of which primary colour is the artist Yves Klein best
> associated?

Blue (one outta three shot)

> 5. Counting homophones as the same name (i.e. ignoring minor differences
> in spelling), which given name belonged to only one of Henry VIII's
> wives?
>
> 6. For what film did Jamie Foxx win an Academy Award for "Best Actor"?
>
> 7. Which game prominently features "Brain Freeze", "Bread Basket" and
> "Wrenched Ankle"?

Operation

> 8. In votes in Britain's House of Commons votes against a Bill are
> tallied as "Noes". What are votes for the Bill called?

Ayes

> 9. Which 1974 Francis Ford Coppola thriller, one of the few films
> starring actor John Cazale, features Cazale and Gene Hackman as
> surveillance experts who spies on a supposedly unfaithful partner ?
>
> 10. Which band had hits with "Ballroom Blitz" and "Block Buster"?
>
> 11. What does the letter 'P' stand for in the name of the beer called IPA?

Pale

> 12. Of whom is Reza Aslan's book "Zealot" a biography?
>
> 13. Which sequence of horror movies features Michael Myers as the main
> antagonist?
>
> 14. An Illinois inventor named Elisha Gray was embroiled in a lengthy
> controversy with a better known man, over who first came up with a
> now-ubiquitous invention. Which invention was disputed?
>
> 15. Who supposedly rode naked through the streets of Coventry to protest
> excessive taxation? (fortunately, this tactic has not been adopted by
> the Tea Party)

Lady Godiva

> 16. In which German State is the borough of Wansee, site of the infamous
> 1942 Wansee Conference, which codified the Nazi "Final Solution"?
>
> 17. What was the most common nickname of jazz singer Billie Holiday?

Lady Day

> 18. Which musician, the primary songwriter for the Velvet Undergound, died
> October 27, 2013?

The one and only Lou Reed

--Jeff

Marc Dashevsky

Nov 11, 2013, 1:32:03 AM11/11/13
In article <87bo1su...@gmail.com>, gwo...@gmail.com says...

> Answer slates will be scored on Friday 15th November,
> some time after 2pm, TC
>
> 1. In Shakespeare's Twelfth Night, what relation is the servant Cesario
> to Sebastian?
>
> 2. In which city were the National League baseball team the Giants based,
> before being moved to San Francisco?
New York City

> 3. Which magazine, circulated in Sunday newspapers in the USA, is
> considered the most widely read in America?
Parade

> 4. With a shade of which primary colour is the artist Yves Klein best
> associated?
blue

> 5. Counting homophones as the same name (i.e. ignoring minor differences
> in spelling), which given name belonged to only one of Henry VIII's
> wives?
>
> 6. For what film did Jamie Foxx win an Academy Award for "Best Actor"?
Ray

> 7. Which game prominently features "Brain Freeze", "Bread Basket" and
> "Wrenched Ankle"?
Operation

> 8. In votes in Britain's House of Commons votes against a Bill are
> tallied as "Noes". What are votes for the Bill called?
ayes

> 9. Which 1974 Francis Ford Coppola thriller, one of the few films
> starring actor John Cazale, features Cazale and Gene Hackman as
> surveillance experts who spies on a supposedly unfaithful partner ?
The Conversation [He'd kill us if he got the chance.]

> 10. Which band had hits with "Ballroom Blitz" and "Block Buster"?
>
> 11. What does the letter 'P' stand for in the name of the beer called IPA?
pale

> 12. Of whom is Reza Aslan's book "Zealot" a biography?
Jesus

> 13. Which sequence of horror movies features Michael Myers as the main
> antagonist?
Halloween

> 14. An Illinois inventor named Elisha Gray was embroiled in a lengthy
> controversy with a better known man, over who first came up with a
> now-ubiquitous invention. Which invention was disputed?
telegraph

> 15. Who supposedly rode naked through the streets of Coventry to protest
> excessive taxation? (fortunately, this tactic has not been adopted by
> the Tea Party)
Lady Godiva

> 16. In which German State is the borough of Wansee, site of the infamous
> 1942 Wansee Conference, which codified the Nazi "Final Solution"?
>
> 17. What was the most common nickname of jazz singer Billie Holiday?
Lady Day

> 18. Which musician, the primary songwriter for the Velvet Undergound, died
> October 27, 2013?
Lou Reed

calvin

Nov 11, 2013, 4:53:41 AM11/11/13
On Mon, 11 Nov 2013 05:58:12 +1000, Gareth Owen <gwo...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Answer slates will be scored on Friday 15th November,
> some time after 2pm, TC
>
> 1. In Shakespeare's Twelfth Night, what relation is the servant Cesario
> to Sebastian?

Brother

> 2. In which city were the National League baseball team the Giants based,
> before being moved to San Francisco?

NY

> 3. Which magazine, circulated in Sunday newspapers in the USA, is
> considered the most widely read in America?

Saturday Evening Post

> 4. With a shade of which primary colour is the artist Yves Klein best
> associated?

Yellow

> 5. Counting homophones as the same name (i.e. ignoring minor differences
> in spelling), which given name belonged to only one of Henry VIII's
> wives?

Jane

> 6. For what film did Jamie Foxx win an Academy Award for "Best Actor"?

Ray

> 7. Which game prominently features "Brain Freeze", "Bread Basket" and
> "Wrenched Ankle"?

Operation

> 8. In votes in Britain's House of Commons votes against a Bill are
> tallied as "Noes". What are votes for the Bill called?

Ayes

> 9. Which 1974 Francis Ford Coppola thriller, one of the few films
> starring actor John Cazale, features Cazale and Gene Hackman as
> surveillance experts who spies on a supposedly unfaithful partner ?

The French Connection?

> 10. Which band had hits with "Ballroom Blitz" and "Block Buster"?

Gary Glitter?

> 11. What does the letter 'P' stand for in the name of the beer called
> IPA?

Pale

> 12. Of whom is Reza Aslan's book "Zealot" a biography?

Osama?

> 13. Which sequence of horror movies features Michael Myers as the main
> antagonist?

Well The Love Guru terrified me...

> 14. An Illinois inventor named Elisha Gray was embroiled in a lengthy
> controversy with a better known man, over who first came up with a
> now-ubiquitous invention. Which invention was disputed?

> 15. Who supposedly rode naked through the streets of Coventry to protest
> excessive taxation? (fortunately, this tactic has not been adopted by
> the Tea Party)

Lady Godiva

> 16. In which German State is the borough of Wansee, site of the infamous
> 1942 Wansee Conference, which codified the Nazi "Final Solution"?

Hesse

> 17. What was the most common nickname of jazz singer Billie Holiday?
>
> 18. Which musician, the primary songwriter for the Velvet Undergound,
> died
> October 27, 2013?

Lou Reed

--
cheers,
calvin

Peter Smyth

Nov 11, 2013, 5:14:51 PM11/11/13
Gareth Owen wrote:

> Answer slates will be scored on Friday 15th November,
> some time after 2pm, TC
>
> 1. In Shakespeare's Twelfth Night, what relation is the servant
> Cesario to Sebastian?
>
> 2. In which city were the National League baseball team the Giants
> based, before being moved to San Francisco?
New York
> 3. Which magazine, circulated in Sunday newspapers in the USA, is
> considered the most widely read in America?
>
> 4. With a shade of which primary colour is the artist Yves Klein best
> associated?
Blue
> 5. Counting homophones as the same name (i.e. ignoring minor
> differences in spelling), which given name belonged to only one of
> Henry VIII's wives?
Jane
> 6. For what film did Jamie Foxx win an Academy Award for "Best
> Actor"?
>
> 7. Which game prominently features "Brain Freeze", "Bread Basket" and
> "Wrenched Ankle"?
Operation
> 8. In votes in Britain's House of Commons votes against a Bill are
> tallied as "Noes". What are votes for the Bill called?
Ayes
> 9. Which 1974 Francis Ford Coppola thriller, one of the few films
> starring actor John Cazale, features Cazale and Gene Hackman as
> surveillance experts who spies on a supposedly unfaithful partner
> ?
>
> 10. Which band had hits with "Ballroom Blitz" and "Block Buster"?
>
> 11. What does the letter 'P' stand for in the name of the beer called
> IPA?
Pale
> 12. Of whom is Reza Aslan's book "Zealot" a biography?
>
> 13. Which sequence of horror movies features Michael Myers as the main
> antagonist?
>
> 14. An Illinois inventor named Elisha Gray was embroiled in a lengthy
> controversy with a better known man, over who first came up with a
> now-ubiquitous invention. Which invention was disputed?
>
> 15. Who supposedly rode naked through the streets of Coventry to
> protest excessive taxation? (fortunately, this tactic has not
> been adopted by the Tea Party)
Lady Godiva
> 16. In which German State is the borough of Wansee, site of the
> infamous 1942 Wansee Conference, which codified the Nazi "Final
> Solution"?
>
> 17. What was the most common nickname of jazz singer Billie Holiday?
Lady Day
> 18. Which musician, the primary songwriter for the Velvet Undergound,
> died October 27, 2013?
Lou Reed

Peter Smyth

Dan Tilque

Nov 12, 2013, 2:46:28 AM11/12/13
Gareth Owen wrote:
> Answer slates will be scored on Friday 15th November,
> some time after 2pm, TC
>
> 1. In Shakespeare's Twelfth Night, what relation is the servant Cesario
> to Sebastian?

twins

> 2. In which city were the National League baseball team the Giants based,
> before being moved to San Francisco?

New York

> 3. Which magazine, circulated in Sunday newspapers in the USA, is
> considered the most widely read in America?

Parade

> 4. With a shade of which primary colour is the artist Yves Klein best
> associated?

blue

> 5. Counting homophones as the same name (i.e. ignoring minor differences
> in spelling), which given name belonged to only one of Henry VIII's
> wives?

Elizabeth ?

> 6. For what film did Jamie Foxx win an Academy Award for "Best Actor"?
>
> 7. Which game prominently features "Brain Freeze", "Bread Basket" and
> "Wrenched Ankle"?

Operation?

> 8. In votes in Britain's House of Commons votes against a Bill are
> tallied as "Noes". What are votes for the Bill called?

ayes

> 9. Which 1974 Francis Ford Coppola thriller, one of the few films
> starring actor John Cazale, features Cazale and Gene Hackman as
> surveillance experts who spies on a supposedly unfaithful partner ?
>
> 10. Which band had hits with "Ballroom Blitz" and "Block Buster"?
>
> 11. What does the letter 'P' stand for in the name of the beer called IPA?

pale

> 12. Of whom is Reza Aslan's book "Zealot" a biography?
>
> 13. Which sequence of horror movies features Michael Myers as the main
> antagonist?
>
> 14. An Illinois inventor named Elisha Gray was embroiled in a lengthy
> controversy with a better known man, over who first came up with a
> now-ubiquitous invention. Which invention was disputed?

telephone

> 15. Who supposedly rode naked through the streets of Coventry to protest
> excessive taxation? (fortunately, this tactic has not been adopted by
> the Tea Party)

Lady Godiva (considering the typical age and physique of the Tea
Baggers, very fortunate)

--
Dan Tilque

Who needs TV when you can have the whole Internet insulting your
intelligence? -- Ziggy

Pete

Nov 12, 2013, 10:36:30 AM11/12/13
Gareth Owen <gwo...@gmail.com> wrote in news:87bo1su...@gmail.com:

> Answer slates will be scored on Friday 15th November,
> some time after 2pm, TC
>
> 1. In Shakespeare's Twelfth Night, what relation is the servant
> Cesario
> to Sebastian?
>
> 2. In which city were the National League baseball team the Giants
> based,
> before being moved to San Francisco?

New York

> 3. Which magazine, circulated in Sunday newspapers in the USA, is
> considered the most widely read in America?

Parade

> 4. With a shade of which primary colour is the artist Yves Klein best
> associated?
>
> 5. Counting homophones as the same name (i.e. ignoring minor
> differences
> in spelling), which given name belonged to only one of Henry VIII's
> wives?
>
> 6. For what film did Jamie Foxx win an Academy Award for "Best
> Actor"?
>
> 7. Which game prominently features "Brain Freeze", "Bread Basket" and
> "Wrenched Ankle"?

Operation

> 8. In votes in Britain's House of Commons votes against a Bill are
> tallied as "Noes". What are votes for the Bill called?

Ayes

> 9. Which 1974 Francis Ford Coppola thriller, one of the few films
> starring actor John Cazale, features Cazale and Gene Hackman as
> surveillance experts who spies on a supposedly unfaithful partner
> ?
>
> 10. Which band had hits with "Ballroom Blitz" and "Block Buster"?
>
> 11. What does the letter 'P' stand for in the name of the beer called
> IPA?

Pale

> 12. Of whom is Reza Aslan's book "Zealot" a biography?

Nader

> 13. Which sequence of horror movies features Michael Myers as the main
> antagonist?
>
> 14. An Illinois inventor named Elisha Gray was embroiled in a lengthy
> controversy with a better known man, over who first came up with a
> now-ubiquitous invention. Which invention was disputed?

Sewing machine

> 15. Who supposedly rode naked through the streets of Coventry to
> protest
> excessive taxation? (fortunately, this tactic has not been adopted
> by the Tea Party)

Lady Godiva

> 16. In which German State is the borough of Wansee, site of the
> infamous
> 1942 Wansee Conference, which codified the Nazi "Final Solution"?

Hesse

> 17. What was the most common nickname of jazz singer Billie Holiday?

Lady Day

> 18. Which musician, the primary songwriter for the Velvet Undergound,
> died October 27, 2013?

Lou Reed

Pete

robpparker SPAM @foroptusnet.com.aume Rob Parker

Nov 12, 2013, 11:42:59 PM11/12/13
> 1. In Shakespeare's Twelfth Night, what relation is the servant Cesario
> to Sebastian?

sister

> 2. In which city were the National League baseball team the Giants based,
> before being moved to San Francisco?

Los Angeles

> 3. Which magazine, circulated in Sunday newspapers in the USA, is
> considered the most widely read in America?
>
> 4. With a shade of which primary colour is the artist Yves Klein best
> associated?

blue

> 5. Counting homophones as the same name (i.e. ignoring minor differences
> in spelling), which given name belonged to only one of Henry VIII's
> wives?

Jane

> 6. For what film did Jamie Foxx win an Academy Award for "Best Actor"?

the one about Ray charles

> 7. Which game prominently features "Brain Freeze", "Bread Basket" and
> "Wrenched Ankle"?
>
> 8. In votes in Britain's House of Commons votes against a Bill are
> tallied as "Noes". What are votes for the Bill called?

ayes

> 9. Which 1974 Francis Ford Coppola thriller, one of the few films
> starring actor John Cazale, features Cazale and Gene Hackman as
> surveillance experts who spies on a supposedly unfaithful partner ?
>
> 10. Which band had hits with "Ballroom Blitz" and "Block Buster"?

The Sweet

> 11. What does the letter 'P' stand for in the name of the beer called IPA?

pale

> 12. Of whom is Reza Aslan's book "Zealot" a biography?
>
> 13. Which sequence of horror movies features Michael Myers as the main
> antagonist?

Halloween

> 14. An Illinois inventor named Elisha Gray was embroiled in a lengthy
> controversy with a better known man, over who first came up with a
> now-ubiquitous invention. Which invention was disputed?

incandescent light globe

> 15. Who supposedly rode naked through the streets of Coventry to protest
> excessive taxation? (fortunately, this tactic has not been adopted by
> the Tea Party)

Lady Godiva

> 16. In which German State is the borough of Wansee, site of the infamous
> 1942 Wansee Conference, which codified the Nazi "Final Solution"?
>
> 17. What was the most common nickname of jazz singer Billie Holiday?

Lady Day

> 18. Which musician, the primary songwriter for the Velvet Undergound, died
> October 27, 2013?

Lou Reed

Rob

Gareth Owen

Nov 15, 2013, 11:57:53 AM11/15/13
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) writes:

> Gareth Owen:
>> Answer slates will be scored on Friday 15th November,
>> some time after 2pm, TC
>
> What's TC?

It's what close friends get to call Top Cat.

Gareth Owen

Nov 15, 2013, 12:13:07 PM11/15/13
Gareth Owen <gwo...@gmail.com> writes:

> Answer slates will be scored on Friday 15th November,
> some time after 2pm, TC
>
> 1. In Shakespeare's Twelfth Night, what relation is the servant Cesario
> to Sebastian?

She's his twin SISTER, in disguise of a man. I scored "twin" as
partially correct.

> 2. In which city were the National League baseball team the Giants based,
> before being moved to San Francisco?

NEW YORK

> 3. Which magazine, circulated in Sunday newspapers in the USA, is
> considered the most widely read in America?

PARADE

> 4. With a shade of which primary colour is the artist Yves Klein best
> associated?

BLUE

> 5. Counting homophones as the same name (i.e. ignoring minor differences
> in spelling), which given name belonged to only one of Henry VIII's
> wives?

JANE

> 6. For what film did Jamie Foxx win an Academy Award for "Best Actor"?

RAY

> 7. Which game prominently features "Brain Freeze", "Bread Basket" and
> "Wrenched Ankle"?

OPERATION

> 8. In votes in Britain's House of Commons votes against a Bill are
> tallied as "Noes". What are votes for the Bill called?

AYES

> 9. Which 1974 Francis Ford Coppola thriller, one of the few films
> starring actor John Cazale, features Cazale and Gene Hackman as
> surveillance experts who spies on a supposedly unfaithful partner ?

The CONVERSATION

> 10. Which band had hits with "Ballroom Blitz" and "Block Buster"?

The SWEET

> 11. What does the letter 'P' stand for in the name of the beer called IPA?

PALE (its India Pale Ale)

> 12. Of whom is Reza Aslan's book "Zealot" a biography?

JESUS. Incorrect answers: George Bush, Osama bin Laden, Ralph Nader :)

> 13. Which sequence of horror movies features Michael Myers as the main
> antagonist?

HALLOWEEN

> 14. An Illinois inventor named Elisha Gray was embroiled in a lengthy
> controversy with a better known man, over who first came up with a
> now-ubiquitous invention. Which invention was disputed?

TELEPHONE

> 15. Who supposedly rode naked through the streets of Coventry to protest
> excessive taxation? (fortunately, this tactic has not been adopted by
> the Tea Party)

LADY GODIVA

> 16. In which German State is the borough of Wansee, site of the infamous
> 1942 Wansee Conference, which codified the Nazi "Final Solution"?

BERLIN

> 17. What was the most common nickname of jazz singer Billie Holiday?

LADY DAY. I scored "Lady" as partially correct.

> 18. Which musician, the primary songwriter for the Velvet Undergound, died
> October 27, 2013?

Lou Reed - his songs include:
"Lady Day", "Berlin", "Lady Godiva's Operation",
"New York Telephone Conversation", "Halloween Parade", "Jesus",
"Sweet Jane", "Pale Blue Eyes" and "Sister Ray"

Scores:
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 TOT
swp x x x x x x x x x - x x x x x x x x 17
Mark Brader - x x x x x x x x - x - x x x - .5 - 12.5
Erland Sommar~1 - - - - - - - x - x - - - - - - - x 3
Jeffrey Turner - x x x - - x x - - x - - - x - x x 9
Marc Dashevsky - x x x - x x x x - x x x - x - x x 13
calvin - x - - x x x x - - x - - - x - - x 8
Peter Smyth - x - x x - x x - - x - - - x - x x 9
Dan Tilque .5 x x x x - x x - - x - - x x - - - 9.5
Pete - x x - - - x x - - x - - - x - x x 8
Rob Parker x - - x x x - x - x x - x - x - x x 11

Lots of very close scores - and two not so close ones.

Would have been tremendously exciting, except for the fact that swp
kicked everyone's derrieres again :)

Mark Brader

Nov 15, 2013, 1:25:20 PM11/15/13
Gareth Owen:
> > 16. In which German State is the borough of Wansee, site of the infamous
> > 1942 Wansee Conference, which codified the Nazi "Final Solution"?
>
> BERLIN

Arrgh. You had to know where the Berlin/Brandenburg state line is.
Turns out that it actually follows more than half of the boundary of
Wannsee, which occupies Berlin's southwestern tip. And until 1920
the state of Berlin was much smaller and did not include this area.
So I only missed by about 3 miles, or 93 years.

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=wannsee&ll=52.41,13.18&z=12

Well done, Stephen.
--
Mark Brader | "How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
Toronto | "You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn't have
| -- Ray Lee (after Lewis Carroll)

swp

Nov 15, 2013, 9:39:20 PM11/15/13
On Friday, November 15, 2013 12:13:07 PM UTC-5, Gareth Owen wrote:
> Gareth Owen <gwo...@gmail.com> writes:
>
> Lots of very close scores - and two not so close ones.
>
> Would have been tremendously exciting, except for the fact that swp
> kicked everyone's derrieres again :)

OK, I'll work up something and post later tonight.

swp