Calvin's Quiz #506

Calvin

Oct 19, 2017, 12:21:42 AM10/19/17
Just the 9 in this set.

1 Copyright of what media is represented by the graphic symbol ℗?
2 Commonly used in educational circles, what does a TOEFL test measure?
3 Requiring some 800,000 hours to generate all the images, what 1995 film was the first fully computer-generated full length feature film?
4 Which 1983 film was the sequel to "Saturday Night Fever"?
5 Which planet takes approximately 85 years to orbit the sun?
6 Who co-wrote the Band Aid single 'Do They Know Its Christmas' with Bob Geldof in 1984?
7 Which American author wrote "Exodus" (1958) and "Trinity" (1976)?
8 What is the more common term for vitamin B2?
9 Which sport sometimes uses a "Fast4" format?

cheers,
calvin

Mark Brader

Oct 19, 2017, 1:09:18 AM10/19/17
Calvin:
> 1 Copyright of what media is represented by the graphic symbol [hex 2117]?

Phonorecordings.

> 2 Commonly used in educational circles, what does a TOEFL
> test measure?

English as a foreign language.

> 3 Requiring some 800,000 hours to generate all the images,
> what 1995 film was the first fully computer-generated full
> length feature film?

"Tron: Legacy"?

> 4 Which 1983 film was the sequel to "Saturday Night Fever"?

"Staying Alive".

> 5 Which planet takes approximately 85 years to orbit the sun?

Uranus.

> 6 Who co-wrote the Band Aid single 'Do They Know Its
> Christmas' with Bob Geldof in 1984?

John?

> 7 Which American author wrote "Exodus" (1958) and "Trinity" (1976)?

Uris.

> 8 What is the more common term for vitamin B2?

Riboflavin.

> 9 Which sport sometimes uses a "Fast4" format?

Cricket?
--
Mark Brader "You have a truly warped mind.
Toronto I admire that in a person."

Mark Brader

Oct 19, 2017, 1:09:54 AM10/19/17
Afterthought.

"Calvin":
> 8 What is the more common term for vitamin B2?

Actually, I'd say that "vitamin B2" *is* the most common term.
--
Mark Brader | "I don't mean to be snooty or snippy or some other
m...@vex.net | six-letter word starting with s, ending in y, and
| Didn't mean to be that either." -- Hashi Lebwohl

Erland Sommarskog

Oct 19, 2017, 2:38:53 AM10/19/17

©

> 5 Which planet takes approximately 85 years to orbit the sun?

Neptune

Peter Smyth

Oct 19, 2017, 4:27:44 AM10/19/17
Calvin wrote:

> Just the 9 in this set.
>
> 1 Copyright of what media is represented by the graphic symbol ℗?
No idea, can't see the symbol
> 2 Commonly used in educational circles, what does a TOEFL test measure?
Teaching of English as a Foreign Language
> 3 Requiring some 800,000 hours to generate all the images, what 1995
> film was the first fully computer-generated full length feature film?
Toy Story
> 4 Which 1983 film was the sequel to "Saturday Night Fever"?
Sunday Night Fever
> 5 Which planet takes approximately 85 years to orbit the sun?
Uranus
> 6 Who co-wrote the Band Aid single 'Do They Know Its Christmas' with
> Bob Geldof in 1984?
Midge Ure
> 7 Which American author wrote "Exodus" (1958) and "Trinity" (1976)?
Leon Uris
> 8 What is the more common term for vitamin B2?
Niacin
> 9 Which sport sometimes uses a "Fast4" format?
Golf

Peter Smyth

Dan Blum

Oct 19, 2017, 8:32:21 AM10/19/17
Calvin <334...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Just the 9 in this set.

> 2 Commonly used in educational circles, what does a TOEFL test measure?

English language proficiency

> 3 Requiring some 800,000 hours to generate all the images, what 1995 film was the first fully computer-generated full length feature film?

A Bug's Life

> 4 Which 1983 film was the sequel to "Saturday Night Fever"?

Staying Alive

> 5 Which planet takes approximately 85 years to orbit the sun?

Uranus

> 6 Who co-wrote the Band Aid single 'Do They Know Its Christmas' with Bob Geldof in 1984?

Paul McCartney

> 7 Which American author wrote "Exodus" (1958) and "Trinity" (1976)?

Leon Uris

> 8 What is the more common term for vitamin B2?

niacin

Dan Blum to...@panix.com

Gareth Owen

Oct 19, 2017, 1:53:11 PM10/19/17
Calvin <334...@gmail.com> writes:

> Just the 9 in this set.
>
> 1 Copyright of what media is represented by the graphic symbol ℗?

Sound recordings

> 2 Commonly used in educational circles, what does a TOEFL test
> measure?

Teaching of English as Foreign Languege

> 3 Requiring some 800,000 hours to generate all the images, what 1995
> film was the first fully computer-generated full length feature film?

Toy Story??

> 4 Which 1983 film was the sequel to "Saturday Night Fever"?

Staying Alive

> 5 Which planet takes approximately 85 years to orbit the sun?

Neptune

> 6 Who co-wrote the Band Aid single 'Do They Know Its Christmas'
> with Bob Geldof in 1984?

Midge Ure

> 7 Which American author wrote "Exodus" (1958) and "Trinity"
> (1976)?

Leon Uris

> 8 What is the more common term for vitamin B2?

Riboflavin

> 9 Which sport sometimes uses a "Fast4" format?

Netball?

Erland Sommarskog

Oct 19, 2017, 2:23:20 PM10/19/17
Erland Sommarskog (esq...@sommarskog.se) writes:
> Calvin (334...@gmail.com) writes:
>> 1 Copyright of what media is represented by the graphic symbol ??
>
> ©

So that's a combination of me not reading the question too carefully, and
my newsreader's inability to display the Unicode character. Since question
marks commonly appear at the end of questions, I did not pay particular
attention to that they were doubled. (And nor to the fact that there is a
space before them. Some people write like that. And in at least one
language that is the proper way to place question marks.)

Well, since I didn't know much of the rest, it does not really matter.

Mark Brader

Oct 19, 2017, 3:43:03 PM10/19/17
Erland Sommarskog:
> ...my newsreader's inability to display the Unicode character...

By the way, neither can mine -- but that's my own fault, due to my
own character-set prejudices. What I did to answer the question was
go to the original message, use a program I wrote to convert the
quoted-printable, UTF8 encoding into the hexadecimal code point
(which turned out to be 2117), then create an HTML file containing
just the entity "&#x2117;", and open that in Firefox, which does
do Unicode. (I assumed this would not be considered cheating.)
--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "After much soul-searching, the DMR decided to
m...@vex.net | go with UNIX." -- "/aur" magazine, April-May '89

Pete Gayde

Oct 19, 2017, 6:25:46 PM10/19/17
Calvin <334...@gmail.com> wrote in

> Just the 9 in this set.
>
> 1 Copyright of what media is represented by the graphic symbol
> ℗?
> 2 Commonly used in educational circles, what does a TOEFL
> test measure?
> 3 Requiring some 800,000 hours to generate all the
> images, what 1995 film was the first fully computer-generated full
> length feature film?

Toy Story

> 4 Which 1983 film was the sequel to "Saturday Night Fever"?
> 5 Which planet takes approximately 85 years to orbit
> the sun?

Uranus

> 6 Who co-wrote the Band Aid single 'Do They Know Its
> Christmas' with Bob Geldof in 1984?
> 7 Which American author wrote "Exodus" (1958) and "Trinity" (1976)?

Uris

> 8 What is the more common term for vitamin B2?

Niacin

> 9 Which sport sometimes uses a "Fast4" format?
>
> cheers,
> calvin

Pete Gayde

Dan Tilque

Oct 19, 2017, 7:09:53 PM10/19/17
Calvin wrote:
> Just the 9 in this set.
>
> 1 Copyright of what media is represented by the graphic symbol ℗?

software

> 2 Commonly used in educational circles, what does a TOEFL test measure?

learning English as a foreign language

> 3 Requiring some 800,000 hours to generate all the images, what 1995 film was the first fully computer-generated full length feature film?
> 4 Which 1983 film was the sequel to "Saturday Night Fever"?

Grease

> 5 Which planet takes approximately 85 years to orbit the sun?

Uranus

> 6 Who co-wrote the Band Aid single 'Do They Know Its Christmas' with Bob Geldof in 1984?
> 7 Which American author wrote "Exodus" (1958) and "Trinity" (1976)?
> 8 What is the more common term for vitamin B2?

riboflavin

> 9 Which sport sometimes uses a "Fast4" format?

--
Dan Tilque

Calvin

Oct 26, 2017, 9:08:49 PM10/26/17
On Thursday, October 19, 2017 at 2:21:42 PM UTC+10, Calvin wrote:
> Just the 9 in this set.
>
> 1 Copyright of what media is represented by the graphic symbol ℗?

Sound recordings
Apologies to anyone who could not view the symbol

> 2 Commonly used in educational circles, what does a TOEFL test measure?

Test Of ENGLISH as a Foreign Language

> 3 Requiring some 800,000 hours to generate all the images, what 1995 film was the first fully computer-generated full length feature film?

Toy Story

> 4 Which 1983 film was the sequel to "Saturday Night Fever"?

Stayin' Alive

> 5 Which planet takes approximately 85 years to orbit the sun?

Uranus

> 6 Who co-wrote the Band Aid single 'Do They Know Its Christmas' with Bob Geldof in 1984?

Midge Ure

> 7 Which American author wrote "Exodus" (1958) and "Trinity" (1976)?

Leon Uris

> 8 What is the more common term for vitamin B2?

Riboflavin

> 9 Which sport sometimes uses a "Fast4" format?

Tennis
No one got this, and I now learn it's mainly an Australian thing which explains why. See https://www.tennis.com.au/learn/ways-to-play/fast4

Q1 Q2 Q3 Q4 Q5 Q6 Q7 Q8 Q9 Q10 TOTAL TB Quiz 506
1 1 1 1 0 1 1 1 0 7 23 Gareth Owen
1 1 0 1 1 0 1 1 0 6 24 Mark Brader
0 1 1 0 1 1 1 0 0 5 21 Peter Smyth
0 1 0 1 1 0 1 0 0 4 19 Dan Blum
0 1 0 0 1 0 0 1 0 3 14 Dan Tilque
0 0 1 0 1 0 1 0 0 3 14 Pete Gayde
0 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 0 1 6 Erland S
- - - - - - - - - - --- ----------
2 5 3 3 6 2 5 3 0 0 29 46%

Congratulations Gareth. That was a tough set.

cheers,
calvin

Calvin

Oct 26, 2017, 9:11:09 PM10/26/17
On Friday, October 27, 2017 at 11:08:49 AM UTC+10, Calvin wrote:

I don't have access to my question database atm so CQ#507 will be a few days.

cheers,
calvin

Gareth Owen

Oct 27, 2017, 2:16:15 AM10/27/17
Calvin <334...@gmail.com> writes:

>> 9 Which sport sometimes uses a "Fast4" format?
>
> Tennis

Particularly galling this, because literally a day or two before doing
this quiz I'd heard a woman talking on the radio about a short-format
version of Netball with fewer players, powerplays, a 3-point line and a
much reduced game-time - she referred to it as "The Twenty20 of netball"

And I saw that question and thought "Hey that's the netball thing I
literally just heard about!"

The netball variant is called Fast5 :(

Calvin

Oct 29, 2017, 7:38:31 PM10/29/17
Yes, England won the so-called World Series played over the weekend in Melbourne, which is probably what the radio interview was about.

http://fast5worldseries.com.au/

cheers,
Calvin

Gareth Owen

Oct 30, 2017, 2:42:16 AM10/30/17
It wasn't an interview, it was a light hearted panel show called
"Fighting Talk", which occasionally features a netball coach as a
panelist.