QFTCICR14 Current Events 5-6-2014

Mark Brader

Feb 25, 2014, 7:56:11 PM2/25/14
This set of current-events rounds is running concurrently with
QFTCIC Game 10, currently Rounds 2-3 and later 4-6.

These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on the dates
indicated below, and should be interpreted accordingly. If any
answers have changed due to newer news, you are still expected to
give the answers that were correct on those dates.

Please post all your answers in a single followup to the newsgroup,
the correct answers in about 3 days.

All questions were written by members of the Cellar Rats and are
used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have
been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information see
my 2013-09-15 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

* Game 5 (2014-02-10), Round 1 - Current Events

1. Battling mass unrest against his rule, Ukraine's president faced
demands from the opposition this week for a constitutional
change that would seriously curtail his powers. Who is he?

2. The president of Canada's largest private sector union has
challenged PC leader Tim Hudak to a debate anywhere, anytime,
on Hudak's anti-union agenda and jobs plan. What is the name
of this union?

3. In an appearance before the Senate national security and
defense committee, the head of CSEC defended the actions of the
agency in tracking the cell phones of people traveling through
Canadian airports. What does CSEC stand for?

4. Nominations for the Juno Awards were announced this week,
with Montreal-based Arcade Fire leading the list. In how many
categories was the group nominated for a Juno?

5. The US Federal Reserve made a historic appointment this week
when it named a female chair. What is her name?

6. Who won Canada's first medal of the Olympics, on Saturday,
February 8?

7. What US company, and sponsor of the Olympics, this week took the
lead in releasing an unprecedented corporate statement condemning
Russian laws surrounding homosexuality and urging other sponsors
to do the same?

8. Which major national law firm has been making headlines with
stories of its closure? It is the largest failure of a legal
firm in Canada ever.

9. Further to his brother's announcement that he would not be
attending the World Pride Parade in Toronto this June, Doug
Ford stated his own objection to the event, using the same
3 words 5 times in 4 minutes, according to the Toronto Star.
What are these 3 words?

10. Toronto city councillor Denzil Minnan-Wong has proposed renaming
Union Station after who or what?

* Game 6 (2014-02-24), Round 1 - Current Events

1. Shortages of consumer goods and soaring inflation were among
the causes of violent demonstrations in Venezuela last week.
Who is the current president of Venezuela?

2. On Friday the former prime minister of Ukraine was released
from prison. What's her name?

3. Tim Hudak announced Friday that he had dropped what labor policy,
opposed by unions but implemented in many US states?

4. Rob Ford voted against allowing restaurants to serve alcohol
during yesterday's gold-medal hockey game because he said it
wouldn't be fair to what businesses?

5. Tim Hortons announced it will end its partnership with an
American dairy and stop selling their ice cream products
in Canada. Name the US company.

6. A federal court ordered an Ontario Internet service provider to
provide film production company Voltage Pictures the names of
users it says illegally shared its films over a 2-month period
in 2012. Name the ISP.

7. British researchers found that a saliva test measuring levels
of the hormone cortisol in teenage boys could identify those
at high risk of suffering from what condition?

8. A lemming population explosion last summer led to an increase
in the number of *which northern birds*, which have been observed
far south of their normal range this winter? Be specific;
we need the exact species.

9. Name *either* the Canadian speed skater who gave up his place
in the 1,000 m event, *or* his teammate who went on to win the
silver medal.

10. Russia became the first nation since 1952 to lead the winter
Olympics in both gold medals and total medals. They took
the lead by winning all three medals in what event yesterday?
Again, be specific.

* Game 6, Round 4 - Sports Current Events - The 2014 Olympics

Yeah, you get an extra round this time.

1. Name either member of the women's bobsled team that won gold
medals in 2010 and 2014.

2. This nation won 24 medals including 8 golds, despite sending only
41 athletes to Sochi. 23 of the medals were in speed skating
and the other one was in short-track speed skating. Name the
country.

3. The men and women of what country won all 4 gold medals in luge?

4. Biathlete Darya Domracheva won 3 gold medals, more than her
entire nation had won at all 5 previous Winter Olympics in which
they participated as an independent country. Name the country.

5. In Olympic alpine skiing, standings are based on timing only
to the nearest 1/100 of a second, resulting in a tie and the
award of two gold medals for the first time in what event?
Be specific.

6. Canada won its first alpine skiing medal in 20 years, a bronze.
Name either the medalist or the event (again, be specific).

7. Name the hockey player who scored both goals in Canada's 2-0
gold-medal win in 2010, and the tying and winning goals in the
gold-medal game Thursday.

8. What country won the bronze medal in women's hockey?

9. The brother tied for first place in scoring in the men's
tournament with 5 goals and 3 assists; the sister tied for
third place in scoring in the women's tournament with 3 goals
and 3 assists. Give their surname.

10. Name the skipper of either of Canada's gold-medal-winning
curling teams.

--
Mark Brader "A hundred billion is *not* infinite
Toronto and it's getting less infinite all the time!"

Joshua Kreitzer

Feb 25, 2014, 9:28:29 PM2/25/14
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in

> * Game 5 (2014-02-10), Round 1 - Current Events
>
> 1. Battling mass unrest against his rule, Ukraine's president faced
> demands from the opposition this week for a constitutional
> change that would seriously curtail his powers. Who is he?

Yanukovich

> 4. Nominations for the Juno Awards were announced this week,
> with Montreal-based Arcade Fire leading the list. In how many
> categories was the group nominated for a Juno?

9; 8

> 5. The US Federal Reserve made a historic appointment this week
> when it named a female chair. What is her name?

Janet Yellen

> * Game 6 (2014-02-24), Round 1 - Current Events
>
> 1. Shortages of consumer goods and soaring inflation were among
> the causes of violent demonstrations in Venezuela last week.
> Who is the current president of Venezuela?

Maduro

> 2. On Friday the former prime minister of Ukraine was released
> from prison. What's her name?

Yulia Tymoshenko

> 3. Tim Hudak announced Friday that he had dropped what labor policy,
> opposed by unions but implemented in many US states?

right to work

> 4. Rob Ford voted against allowing restaurants to serve alcohol
> during yesterday's gold-medal hockey game because he said it
> wouldn't be fair to what businesses?

bars

> * Game 6, Round 4 - Sports Current Events - The 2014 Olympics
>
> 2. This nation won 24 medals including 8 golds, despite sending only
> 41 athletes to Sochi. 23 of the medals were in speed skating
> and the other one was in short-track speed skating. Name the
> country.

Netherlands

> 4. Biathlete Darya Domracheva won 3 gold medals, more than her
> entire nation had won at all 5 previous Winter Olympics in which
> they participated as an independent country. Name the country.

Kazakhstan; Belarus

--
Joshua Kreitzer
grom...@hotmail.com

swp

Feb 25, 2014, 10:15:57 PM2/25/14
On Tuesday, February 25, 2014 7:56:11 PM UTC-5, Mark Brader wrote:
> * Game 5 (2014-02-10), Round 1 - Current Events
>
> 1. Battling mass unrest against his rule, Ukraine's president faced
> demands from the opposition this week for a constitutional
> change that would seriously curtail his powers. Who is he?

viktor yanukovych

> 2. The president of Canada's largest private sector union has
> challenged PC leader Tim Hudak to a debate anywhere, anytime,
> on Hudak's anti-union agenda and jobs plan. What is the name
> of this union?

united food and commercial workers canada

> 3. In an appearance before the Senate national security and
> defense committee, the head of CSEC defended the actions of the
> agency in tracking the cell phones of people traveling through
> Canadian airports. What does CSEC stand for?

communications security establishment canada

> 4. Nominations for the Juno Awards were announced this week,
> with Montreal-based Arcade Fire leading the list. In how many
> categories was the group nominated for a Juno?

6 ; 7

> 5. The US Federal Reserve made a historic appointment this week
> when it named a female chair. What is her name?

janet yellen

> 6. Who won Canada's first medal of the Olympics, on Saturday,
> February 8?

smith ; johnson

> 7. What US company, and sponsor of the Olympics, this week took the
> lead in releasing an unprecedented corporate statement condemning
> Russian laws surrounding homosexuality and urging other sponsors
> to do the same?

at&t

> 8. Which major national law firm has been making headlines with
> stories of its closure? It is the largest failure of a legal
> firm in Canada ever.

heenan?

> 9. Further to his brother's announcement that he would not be
> attending the World Pride Parade in Toronto this June, Doug
> Ford stated his own objection to the event, using the same
> 3 words 5 times in 4 minutes, according to the Toronto Star.
> What are these 3 words?

"bunch of bullies"

> 10. Toronto city councillor Denzil Minnan-Wong has proposed renaming
> Union Station after who or what?

canada's first prime minister, john macdonald

> * Game 6 (2014-02-24), Round 1 - Current Events
>
> 1. Shortages of consumer goods and soaring inflation were among
> the causes of violent demonstrations in Venezuela last week.
> Who is the current president of Venezuela?

maduro

> 2. On Friday the former prime minister of Ukraine was released
> from prison. What's her name?

yulia tymoshenko

> 3. Tim Hudak announced Friday that he had dropped what labor policy,
> opposed by unions but implemented in many US states?

banning compulsory union membership

> 4. Rob Ford voted against allowing restaurants to serve alcohol
> during yesterday's gold-medal hockey game because he said it
> wouldn't be fair to what businesses?

nightclubs (because the game started at 7am)

> 5. Tim Hortons announced it will end its partnership with an
> American dairy and stop selling their ice cream products
> in Canada. Name the US company.

cold stone creamery

> 6. A federal court ordered an Ontario Internet service provider to
> provide film production company Voltage Pictures the names of
> users it says illegally shared its films over a 2-month period
> in 2012. Name the ISP.

teksavvy

> 7. British researchers found that a saliva test measuring levels
> of the hormone cortisol in teenage boys could identify those
> at high risk of suffering from what condition?

depression

> 8. A lemming population explosion last summer led to an increase
> in the number of *which northern birds*, which have been observed
> far south of their normal range this winter? Be specific;
> we need the exact species.

snowy owls?

> 9. Name *either* the Canadian speed skater who gave up his place
> in the 1,000 m event, *or* his teammate who went on to win the
> silver medal.

junio ; morrison

> 10. Russia became the first nation since 1952 to lead the winter
> Olympics in both gold medals and total medals. They took
> the lead by winning all three medals in what event yesterday?
> Again, be specific.

50k skiing marathon

> * Game 6, Round 4 - Sports Current Events - The 2014 Olympics
>
> Yeah, you get an extra round this time.
>
> 1. Name either member of the women's bobsled team that won gold
> medals in 2010 and 2014.

humphries ; moyse

> 2. This nation won 24 medals including 8 golds, despite sending only
> 41 athletes to Sochi. 23 of the medals were in speed skating
> and the other one was in short-track speed skating. Name the
> country.

the netherlands

> 3. The men and women of what country won all 4 gold medals in luge?

germany

> 4. Biathlete Darya Domracheva won 3 gold medals, more than her
> entire nation had won at all 5 previous Winter Olympics in which
> they participated as an independent country. Name the country.

belarus

> 5. In Olympic alpine skiing, standings are based on timing only
> to the nearest 1/100 of a second, resulting in a tie and the
> award of two gold medals for the first time in what event?
> Be specific.

women's downhill alpine skiing

> 6. Canada won its first alpine skiing medal in 20 years, a bronze.
> Name either the medalist or the event (again, be specific).

super-g

> 7. Name the hockey player who scored both goals in Canada's 2-0
> gold-medal win in 2010, and the tying and winning goals in the
> gold-medal game Thursday.

poulin

> 8. What country won the bronze medal in women's hockey?

switzerland

> 9. The brother tied for first place in scoring in the men's
> tournament with 5 goals and 3 assists; the sister tied for
> third place in scoring in the women's tournament with 3 goals
> and 3 assists. Give their surname.

kessel

> 10. Name the skipper of either of Canada's gold-medal-winning
> curling teams.

jones

swp

Marc Dashevsky

Feb 25, 2014, 11:56:53 PM2/25/14
In article <5IKdnez3ZY02ppDO...@vex.net>, m...@vex.net says...
Janet Yellen

> 6. Who won Canada's first medal of the Olympics, on Saturday,
> February 8?
>
> 7. What US company, and sponsor of the Olympics, this week took the
> lead in releasing an unprecedented corporate statement condemning
> Russian laws surrounding homosexuality and urging other sponsors
> to do the same?
AT&T

> 8. Which major national law firm has been making headlines with
> stories of its closure? It is the largest failure of a legal
> firm in Canada ever.
>
> 9. Further to his brother's announcement that he would not be
> attending the World Pride Parade in Toronto this June, Doug
> Ford stated his own objection to the event, using the same
> 3 words 5 times in 4 minutes, according to the Toronto Star.
> What are these 3 words?
>
> 10. Toronto city councillor Denzil Minnan-Wong has proposed renaming
> Union Station after who or what?
>

> * Game 6 (2014-02-24), Round 1 - Current Events
>
> 1. Shortages of consumer goods and soaring inflation were among
> the causes of violent demonstrations in Venezuela last week.
> Who is the current president of Venezuela?
>
> 2. On Friday the former prime minister of Ukraine was released
> from prison. What's her name?
*shenko

> 3. Tim Hudak announced Friday that he had dropped what labor policy,
> opposed by unions but implemented in many US states?
>
> 4. Rob Ford voted against allowing restaurants to serve alcohol
> during yesterday's gold-medal hockey game because he said it
> wouldn't be fair to what businesses?
>
> 5. Tim Hortons announced it will end its partnership with an
> American dairy and stop selling their ice cream products
> in Canada. Name the US company.
Ben & Jerry

> 6. A federal court ordered an Ontario Internet service provider to
> provide film production company Voltage Pictures the names of
> users it says illegally shared its films over a 2-month period
> in 2012. Name the ISP.
>
> 7. British researchers found that a saliva test measuring levels
> of the hormone cortisol in teenage boys could identify those
> at high risk of suffering from what condition?
obesity

> 8. A lemming population explosion last summer led to an increase
> in the number of *which northern birds*, which have been observed
> far south of their normal range this winter? Be specific;
> we need the exact species.
Snowy Owl

> 9. Name *either* the Canadian speed skater who gave up his place
> in the 1,000 m event, *or* his teammate who went on to win the
> silver medal.
>
> 10. Russia became the first nation since 1952 to lead the winter
> Olympics in both gold medals and total medals. They took
> the lead by winning all three medals in what event yesterday?
> Again, be specific.
>

> * Game 6, Round 4 - Sports Current Events - The 2014 Olympics
>
> Yeah, you get an extra round this time.
>
> 1. Name either member of the women's bobsled team that won gold
> medals in 2010 and 2014.
>
> 2. This nation won 24 medals including 8 golds, despite sending only
> 41 athletes to Sochi. 23 of the medals were in speed skating
> and the other one was in short-track speed skating. Name the
> country.
Netherlands

> 3. The men and women of what country won all 4 gold medals in luge?
Finland

> 4. Biathlete Darya Domracheva won 3 gold medals, more than her
> entire nation had won at all 5 previous Winter Olympics in which
> they participated as an independent country. Name the country.
Belarus

calvin

Feb 26, 2014, 5:19:32 AM2/26/14
On Wed, 26 Feb 2014 10:56:11 +1000, Mark Brader <m...@vex.net> wrote:

> * Game 5 (2014-02-10), Round 1 - Current Events
>
> 1. Battling mass unrest against his rule, Ukraine's president faced
> demands from the opposition this week for a constitutional
> change that would seriously curtail his powers. Who is he?

Yanukovitch

> 2. The president of Canada's largest private sector union has
> challenged PC leader Tim Hudak to a debate anywhere, anytime,
> on Hudak's anti-union agenda and jobs plan. What is the name
> of this union?
>
> 3. In an appearance before the Senate national security and
> defense committee, the head of CSEC defended the actions of the
> agency in tracking the cell phones of people traveling through
> Canadian airports. What does CSEC stand for?
>
> 4. Nominations for the Juno Awards were announced this week,
> with Montreal-based Arcade Fire leading the list. In how many
> categories was the group nominated for a Juno?
>
> 5. The US Federal Reserve made a historic appointment this week
> when it named a female chair. What is her name?
>
> 6. Who won Canada's first medal of the Olympics, on Saturday,
> February 8?
>
> 7. What US company, and sponsor of the Olympics, this week took the
> lead in releasing an unprecedented corporate statement condemning
> Russian laws surrounding homosexuality and urging other sponsors
> to do the same?

Nike, McDonalds

> 8. Which major national law firm has been making headlines with
> stories of its closure? It is the largest failure of a legal
> firm in Canada ever.
>
> 9. Further to his brother's announcement that he would not be
> attending the World Pride Parade in Toronto this June, Doug
> Ford stated his own objection to the event, using the same
> 3 words 5 times in 4 minutes, according to the Toronto Star.
> What are these 3 words?
>
> 10. Toronto city councillor Denzil Minnan-Wong has proposed renaming
> Union Station after who or what?
>

> * Game 6 (2014-02-24), Round 1 - Current Events
>
> 1. Shortages of consumer goods and soaring inflation were among
> the causes of violent demonstrations in Venezuela last week.
> Who is the current president of Venezuela?
>
> 2. On Friday the former prime minister of Ukraine was released
> from prison. What's her name?

Yulia Tamushenko (hope you are being generous!)

> 3. Tim Hudak announced Friday that he had dropped what labor policy,
> opposed by unions but implemented in many US states?
>
> 4. Rob Ford voted against allowing restaurants to serve alcohol
> during yesterday's gold-medal hockey game because he said it
> wouldn't be fair to what businesses?

Pubs
Switzer;and, South Korea

> 3. The men and women of what country won all 4 gold medals in luge?

Russia, Norway

--
cheers,
calvin

Peter Smyth

Feb 26, 2014, 2:07:43 PM2/26/14
Mark Brader wrote:

> This set of current-events rounds is running concurrently with
> QFTCIC Game 10, currently Rounds 2-3 and later 4-6.
>
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on the dates
> indicated below, and should be interpreted accordingly. If any
> answers have changed due to newer news, you are still expected to
> give the answers that were correct on those dates.

> Please post all your answers in a single followup to the newsgroup,
> the correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of the Cellar Rats and are
> used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have
> been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information see
> my 2013-09-15 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>

> * Game 5 (2014-02-10), Round 1 - Current Events
>
> 1. Battling mass unrest against his rule, Ukraine's president faced
> demands from the opposition this week for a constitutional
> change that would seriously curtail his powers. Who is he?
Yanukovych
> 2. The president of Canada's largest private sector union has
> challenged PC leader Tim Hudak to a debate anywhere, anytime,
> on Hudak's anti-union agenda and jobs plan. What is the name
> of this union?
>
> 3. In an appearance before the Senate national security and
> defense committee, the head of CSEC defended the actions of the
> agency in tracking the cell phones of people traveling through
> Canadian airports. What does CSEC stand for?
Citadel Security
> 4. Nominations for the Juno Awards were announced this week,
> with Montreal-based Arcade Fire leading the list. In how many
> categories was the group nominated for a Juno?
7, 8
> 5. The US Federal Reserve made a historic appointment this week
> when it named a female chair. What is her name?
>
> 6. Who won Canada's first medal of the Olympics, on Saturday,
> February 8?
Hamelin
> 7. What US company, and sponsor of the Olympics, this week took the
> lead in releasing an unprecedented corporate statement condemning
> Russian laws surrounding homosexuality and urging other sponsors
> to do the same?
Coca-Cola, Visa
> 8. Which major national law firm has been making headlines with
> stories of its closure? It is the largest failure of a legal
> firm in Canada ever.
>
> 9. Further to his brother's announcement that he would not be
> attending the World Pride Parade in Toronto this June, Doug
> Ford stated his own objection to the event, using the same
> 3 words 5 times in 4 minutes, according to the Toronto Star.
> What are these 3 words?
>
> 10. Toronto city councillor Denzil Minnan-Wong has proposed renaming
> Union Station after who or what?
Rob Ford, Justin Bieber

> * Game 6 (2014-02-24), Round 1 - Current Events
>
> 1. Shortages of consumer goods and soaring inflation were among
> the causes of violent demonstrations in Venezuela last week.
> Who is the current president of Venezuela?
>
> 2. On Friday the former prime minister of Ukraine was released
> from prison. What's her name?
Timoshenko
> 3. Tim Hudak announced Friday that he had dropped what labor policy,
> opposed by unions but implemented in many US states?
>
> 4. Rob Ford voted against allowing restaurants to serve alcohol
> during yesterday's gold-medal hockey game because he said it
> wouldn't be fair to what businesses?
>
> 5. Tim Hortons announced it will end its partnership with an
> American dairy and stop selling their ice cream products
> in Canada. Name the US company.
Dairy Queen
> 6. A federal court ordered an Ontario Internet service provider to
> provide film production company Voltage Pictures the names of
> users it says illegally shared its films over a 2-month period
> in 2012. Name the ISP.
>
> 7. British researchers found that a saliva test measuring levels
> of the hormone cortisol in teenage boys could identify those
> at high risk of suffering from what condition?
>
> 8. A lemming population explosion last summer led to an increase
> in the number of *which northern birds*, which have been observed
> far south of their normal range this winter? Be specific;
> we need the exact species.
>
> 9. Name either the Canadian speed skater who gave up his place
> in the 1,000 m event, or his teammate who went on to win the
> silver medal.
Hamelin
> 10. Russia became the first nation since 1952 to lead the winter
> Olympics in both gold medals and total medals. They took
> the lead by winning all three medals in what event yesterday?
> Again, be specific.
Mens 50km cross-country skiing

> * Game 6, Round 4 - Sports Current Events - The 2014 Olympics
>
> Yeah, you get an extra round this time.
>
> 1. Name either member of the women's bobsled team that won gold
> medals in 2010 and 2014.
>
> 2. This nation won 24 medals including 8 golds, despite sending only
> 41 athletes to Sochi. 23 of the medals were in speed skating
> and the other one was in short-track speed skating. Name the
> country.
Netherlands
> 3. The men and women of what country won all 4 gold medals in luge?
Germany
> 4. Biathlete Darya Domracheva won 3 gold medals, more than her
> entire nation had won at all 5 previous Winter Olympics in which
> they participated as an independent country. Name the country.
Latvia, Lithuania
> 5. In Olympic alpine skiing, standings are based on timing only
> to the nearest 1/100 of a second, resulting in a tie and the
> award of two gold medals for the first time in what event?
> Be specific.
Womens Slalom, Womens Giant Slalom
> 6. Canada won its first alpine skiing medal in 20 years, a bronze.
> Name either the medalist or the event (again, be specific).
Mens Giant Slalom, Womens Giant Slalom
> 7. Name the hockey player who scored both goals in Canada's 2-0
> gold-medal win in 2010, and the tying and winning goals in the
> gold-medal game Thursday.
>
> 8. What country won the bronze medal in women's hockey?
>
> 9. The brother tied for first place in scoring in the men's
> tournament with 5 goals and 3 assists; the sister tied for
> third place in scoring in the women's tournament with 3 goals
> and 3 assists. Give their surname.
>
> 10. Name the skipper of either of Canada's gold-medal-winning
> curling teams.

Peter Smyth

Erland Sommarskog

Feb 26, 2014, 3:38:38 PM2/26/14
Mark Brader (m...@vex.net) writes:
> 1. Battling mass unrest against his rule, Ukraine's president faced
> demands from the opposition this week for a constitutional
> change that would seriously curtail his powers. Who is he?

Viktor Yanukovich

> 4. Nominations for the Juno Awards were announced this week,
> with Montreal-based Arcade Fire leading the list. In how many
> categories was the group nominated for a Juno?

Ah, they are from Montréal? That explains why were some parts in French
on their album.

What's a good guess? 5?

> 5. The US Federal Reserve made a historic appointment this week
> when it named a female chair. What is her name?

Janet Yellen

> 6. Who won Canada's first medal of the Olympics, on Saturday,
> February 8?

Who cares? :-) Sweden won both the ski relays. We are not talking about
curling or hockey at this time.

> 7. What US company, and sponsor of the Olympics, this week took the
> lead in releasing an unprecedented corporate statement condemning
> Russian laws surrounding homosexuality and urging other sponsors
> to do the same?

Google

> * Game 6 (2014-02-24), Round 1 - Current Events
>
> 1. Shortages of consumer goods and soaring inflation were among
> the causes of violent demonstrations in Venezuela last week.
> Who is the current president of Venezuela?

Nicolas Maduro, who hopefully drives a bus better than he runs a
country.

> 2. On Friday the former prime minister of Ukraine was released
> from prison. What's her name?

Julia Tymoshenko

> 5. Tim Hortons announced it will end its partnership with an
> American dairy and stop selling their ice cream products
> in Canada. Name the US company.

Häagen Dasz

> 7. British researchers found that a saliva test measuring levels
> of the hormone cortisol in teenage boys could identify those
> at high risk of suffering from what condition?

Burnout

> 10. Russia became the first nation since 1952 to lead the winter
> Olympics in both gold medals and total medals. They took
> the lead by winning all three medals in what event yesterday?
> Again, be specific.

Men's 50 km cross-country skiing.

> * Game 6, Round 4 - Sports Current Events - The 2014 Olympics
>
> 2. This nation won 24 medals including 8 golds, despite sending only
> 41 athletes to Sochi. 23 of the medals were in speed skating
> and the other one was in short-track speed skating. Name the
> country.

The Netherlands.

> 3. The men and women of what country won all 4 gold medals in luge?

Poland

> 4. Biathlete Darya Domracheva won 3 gold medals, more than her
> entire nation had won at all 5 previous Winter Olympics in which
> they participated as an independent country. Name the country.

Czech Republic

> 5. In Olympic alpine skiing, standings are based on timing only
> to the nearest 1/100 of a second, resulting in a tie and the
> award of two gold medals for the first time in what event?
> Be specific.

Women's Super-G.

> 7. Name the hockey player who scored both goals in Canada's 2-0
> gold-medal win in 2010, and the tying and winning goals in the
> gold-medal game Thursday.

I was about to say Sidney Crosby, but that's the wrong day of the week?

> 8. What country won the bronze medal in women's hockey?

Switzerland. Nor do we talk about that at this point. Well, one
comment: the game was too long. At least for our ladies.

> 10. Name the skipper of either of Canada's gold-medal-winning
> curling teams.

They *are* after me! Protest!

Jeffrey Turner

Feb 26, 2014, 10:41:09 PM2/26/14
On 2/25/2014 7:56 PM, Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 5 (2014-02-10), Round 1 - Current Events
>
> 1. Battling mass unrest against his rule, Ukraine's president faced
> demands from the opposition this week for a constitutional
> change that would seriously curtail his powers. Who is he?

Turcenko

> 2. The president of Canada's largest private sector union has
> challenged PC leader Tim Hudak to a debate anywhere, anytime,
> on Hudak's anti-union agenda and jobs plan. What is the name
> of this union?
>
> 3. In an appearance before the Senate national security and
> defense committee, the head of CSEC defended the actions of the
> agency in tracking the cell phones of people traveling through
> Canadian airports. What does CSEC stand for?

Canadian Security ...

> 4. Nominations for the Juno Awards were announced this week,
> with Montreal-based Arcade Fire leading the list. In how many
> categories was the group nominated for a Juno?

Seven

> 5. The US Federal Reserve made a historic appointment this week
> when it named a female chair. What is her name?
>
> 6. Who won Canada's first medal of the Olympics, on Saturday,
> February 8?
>
> 7. What US company, and sponsor of the Olympics, this week took the
> lead in releasing an unprecedented corporate statement condemning
> Russian laws surrounding homosexuality and urging other sponsors
> to do the same?
>
> 8. Which major national law firm has been making headlines with
> stories of its closure? It is the largest failure of a legal
> firm in Canada ever.
>
> 9. Further to his brother's announcement that he would not be
> attending the World Pride Parade in Toronto this June, Doug
> Ford stated his own objection to the event, using the same
> 3 words 5 times in 4 minutes, according to the Toronto Star.
> What are these 3 words?
>
> 10. Toronto city councillor Denzil Minnan-Wong has proposed renaming
> Union Station after who or what?
>

> * Game 6 (2014-02-24), Round 1 - Current Events
>
> 1. Shortages of consumer goods and soaring inflation were among
> the causes of violent demonstrations in Venezuela last week.
> Who is the current president of Venezuela?

Maduro

> 2. On Friday the former prime minister of Ukraine was released
> from prison. What's her name?
>
> 3. Tim Hudak announced Friday that he had dropped what labor policy,
> opposed by unions but implemented in many US states?

Right-to-work

> 4. Rob Ford voted against allowing restaurants to serve alcohol
> during yesterday's gold-medal hockey game because he said it
> wouldn't be fair to what businesses?
>
> 5. Tim Hortons announced it will end its partnership with an
> American dairy and stop selling their ice cream products
> in Canada. Name the US company.

Ben and Jerry's

> 6. A federal court ordered an Ontario Internet service provider to
> provide film production company Voltage Pictures the names of
> users it says illegally shared its films over a 2-month period
> in 2012. Name the ISP.
>
> 7. British researchers found that a saliva test measuring levels
> of the hormone cortisol in teenage boys could identify those
> at high risk of suffering from what condition?
>
> 8. A lemming population explosion last summer led to an increase
> in the number of *which northern birds*, which have been observed
> far south of their normal range this winter? Be specific;
> we need the exact species.

Snowy owl

> 9. Name *either* the Canadian speed skater who gave up his place
> in the 1,000 m event, *or* his teammate who went on to win the
> silver medal.
>
> 10. Russia became the first nation since 1952 to lead the winter
> Olympics in both gold medals and total medals. They took
> the lead by winning all three medals in what event yesterday?
> Again, be specific.
>

> * Game 6, Round 4 - Sports Current Events - The 2014 Olympics
>
> Yeah, you get an extra round this time.
>
> 1. Name either member of the women's bobsled team that won gold
> medals in 2010 and 2014.
>
> 2. This nation won 24 medals including 8 golds, despite sending only
> 41 athletes to Sochi. 23 of the medals were in speed skating
> and the other one was in short-track speed skating. Name the
> country.
>
> 3. The men and women of what country won all 4 gold medals in luge?

Russia

> 4. Biathlete Darya Domracheva won 3 gold medals, more than her
> entire nation had won at all 5 previous Winter Olympics in which
> they participated as an independent country. Name the country.
>
> 5. In Olympic alpine skiing, standings are based on timing only
> to the nearest 1/100 of a second, resulting in a tie and the
> award of two gold medals for the first time in what event?
> Be specific.
>
> 6. Canada won its first alpine skiing medal in 20 years, a bronze.
> Name either the medalist or the event (again, be specific).
>
> 7. Name the hockey player who scored both goals in Canada's 2-0
> gold-medal win in 2010, and the tying and winning goals in the
> gold-medal game Thursday.
>
> 8. What country won the bronze medal in women's hockey?

Sweden, Switzerland

> 9. The brother tied for first place in scoring in the men's
> tournament with 5 goals and 3 assists; the sister tied for
> third place in scoring in the women's tournament with 3 goals
> and 3 assists. Give their surname.
>
> 10. Name the skipper of either of Canada's gold-medal-winning
> curling teams.

--Jeff

Pete

Feb 27, 2014, 1:28:16 AM2/27/14
> This set of current-events rounds is running concurrently with
> QFTCIC Game 10, currently Rounds 2-3 and later 4-6.
>
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on the dates
> indicated below, and should be interpreted accordingly. If any
> answers have changed due to newer news, you are still expected to
> give the answers that were correct on those dates.

> Please post all your answers in a single followup to the newsgroup,
> the correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of the Cellar Rats and are
> used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have
> been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information see
> my 2013-09-15 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>

> * Game 5 (2014-02-10), Round 1 - Current Events
>
> 1. Battling mass unrest against his rule, Ukraine's president faced
> demands from the opposition this week for a constitutional
> change that would seriously curtail his powers. Who is he?

Yanukovich

> 2. The president of Canada's largest private sector union has
> challenged PC leader Tim Hudak to a debate anywhere, anytime,
> on Hudak's anti-union agenda and jobs plan. What is the name
> of this union?
>
> 3. In an appearance before the Senate national security and
> defense committee, the head of CSEC defended the actions of the
> agency in tracking the cell phones of people traveling through
> Canadian airports. What does CSEC stand for?
>
> 4. Nominations for the Juno Awards were announced this week,
> with Montreal-based Arcade Fire leading the list. In how many
> categories was the group nominated for a Juno?

5; 6

> 5. The US Federal Reserve made a historic appointment this week
> when it named a female chair. What is her name?

Yendell
Ben and Jerrys

> 6. A federal court ordered an Ontario Internet service provider to
> provide film production company Voltage Pictures the names of
> users it says illegally shared its films over a 2-month period
> in 2012. Name the ISP.
>
> 7. British researchers found that a saliva test measuring levels
> of the hormone cortisol in teenage boys could identify those
> at high risk of suffering from what condition?

Autism

> 8. A lemming population explosion last summer led to an increase
> in the number of *which northern birds*, which have been observed
> far south of their normal range this winter? Be specific;
> we need the exact species.
>
> 9. Name *either* the Canadian speed skater who gave up his place
> in the 1,000 m event, *or* his teammate who went on to win the
> silver medal.
>
> 10. Russia became the first nation since 1952 to lead the winter
> Olympics in both gold medals and total medals. They took
> the lead by winning all three medals in what event yesterday?
> Again, be specific.

Men's 50km cross country

> * Game 6, Round 4 - Sports Current Events - The 2014 Olympics
>
> Yeah, you get an extra round this time.
>
> 1. Name either member of the women's bobsled team that won gold
> medals in 2010 and 2014.

Young

> 2. This nation won 24 medals including 8 golds, despite sending only
> 41 athletes to Sochi. 23 of the medals were in speed skating
> and the other one was in short-track speed skating. Name the
> country.

Netherlands

> 3. The men and women of what country won all 4 gold medals in luge?

Germany

> 4. Biathlete Darya Domracheva won 3 gold medals, more than her
> entire nation had won at all 5 previous Winter Olympics in which
> they participated as an independent country. Name the country.

Belarus

> 5. In Olympic alpine skiing, standings are based on timing only
> to the nearest 1/100 of a second, resulting in a tie and the
> award of two gold medals for the first time in what event?
> Be specific.

Women's downhill; Women's Super Giant slalom

> 6. Canada won its first alpine skiing medal in 20 years, a bronze.
> Name either the medalist or the event (again, be specific).
>
> 7. Name the hockey player who scored both goals in Canada's 2-0
> gold-medal win in 2010, and the tying and winning goals in the
> gold-medal game Thursday.

Poulin

> 8. What country won the bronze medal in women's hockey?

Sweden; Finland

> 9. The brother tied for first place in scoring in the men's
> tournament with 5 goals and 3 assists; the sister tied for
> third place in scoring in the women's tournament with 3 goals
> and 3 assists. Give their surname.

Kessel

> 10. Name the skipper of either of Canada's gold-medal-winning
> curling teams.

Pete

Erland Sommarskog

Feb 27, 2014, 3:00:05 PM2/27/14
Jeffrey Turner (jtu...@localnet.com) writes:
>> 8. What country won the bronze medal in women's hockey?
>
> Sweden, Switzerland

You answer is much appreciated, Jeffery. Particularly the order. :-)

Mark Brader

Feb 27, 2014, 10:02:57 PM2/27/14
Mark Brader:
>>> 8. What country won the bronze medal in women's hockey?

Jeff Turner:
>> Sweden, Switzerland

Erland Sommarskog:
> You answer is much appreciated, Jeffery. Particularly the order. :-)

Well, all those European "Sw" countries are the same anyway, aren't they?
--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "It was too crazy to be true,
m...@vex.net | and too crazy to be false." --Tom Clancy

My text in this article is in the public domain, and you can keep it.

Rob Parker

Feb 28, 2014, 6:41:03 AM2/28/14
> * Game 5 (2014-02-10), Round 1 - Current Events
>
> 1. Battling mass unrest against his rule, Ukraine's president faced
> demands from the opposition this week for a constitutional
> change that would seriously curtail his powers. Who is he?

Janokovic

> 3. In an appearance before the Senate national security and
> defense committee, the head of CSEC defended the actions of the
> agency in tracking the cell phones of people traveling through
> Canadian airports. What does CSEC stand for?

Canadian Security Excuses Committee

> 4. Nominations for the Juno Awards were announced this week,
> with Montreal-based Arcade Fire leading the list. In how many
> categories was the group nominated for a Juno?

2; 4

> 5. The US Federal Reserve made a historic appointment this week
> when it named a female chair. What is her name?

Yellen

> * Game 6 (2014-02-24), Round 1 - Current Events
>
> 2. On Friday the former prime minister of Ukraine was released
> from prison. What's her name?

Timoshenko

> 3. Tim Hudak announced Friday that he had dropped what labor policy,
> opposed by unions but implemented in many US states?

13; 42

> * Game 6, Round 4 - Sports Current Events - The 2014 Olympics

yawn

Rob

Mark Brader

Feb 28, 2014, 10:36:14 AM2/28/14
Mark Brader:
> > * Game 6, Round 4 - Sports Current Events - The 2014 Olympics

Rob Parker:
> yawn

4 for Rob. :-)
--
Mark Brader "The [promotional] website is more cleverly
Toronto thought out than the movie itself."

Erland Sommarskog

Feb 28, 2014, 4:30:43 PM2/28/14
Mark Brader (m...@vex.net) writes:
> Mark Brader:
>> > * Game 6, Round 4 - Sports Current Events - The 2014 Olympics
>
> Rob Parker:
>> yawn
>
> 4 for Rob. :-)

Rob might be amused to know that the memory of Austrialia's only gold
in the Winter Olympic from 2002 was revived in the Swedish press during
the game when our Emil Jönsson twice got a bronze thanks to people
falling ahead of him.

Jeffrey Turner

Feb 28, 2014, 7:14:05 PM2/28/14
On 2/27/2014 10:02 PM, Mark Brader wrote:
> Mark Brader:
>
> Jeff Turner:
>>> Sweden, Switzerland
>
> Erland Sommarskog:
>> You answer is much appreciated, Jeffery. Particularly the order. :-)
>
> Well, all those European "Sw" countries are the same anyway, aren't they?

I didn't watch the game, but someone told me those were the teams
playing. If there was bias there, it wasn't on my part - except
perhaps that I've heard of more hockey-playing Swedes.

--Jeff

calvin

Feb 28, 2014, 9:28:05 PM2/28/14

"Doing a Bradbury" is a phrase that has entered the lexicon here :-)

--
cheers,
calvin

Mark Brader

Mar 1, 2014, 12:46:50 AM3/1/14
Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on the dates
> indicated below, and should be interpreted accordingly. If any
> answers have changed due to newer news, you are still expected to
> give the answers that were correct on those dates.

This time it mattered, for the first question.

> For further information see my 2013-09-15 companion posting on
> "Questions from the Canadian Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

> * Game 5 (2014-02-10), Round 1 - Current Events

> 1. Battling mass unrest against his rule, Ukraine's president faced
> demands from the opposition this week for a constitutional
> change that would seriously curtail his powers. Who is he?

Viktor Yanukovych. 4 for Joshua, Stephen, Calvin, Peter, Erland,
Pete, and Rob.

> 2. The president of Canada's largest private sector union has
> challenged PC leader Tim Hudak to a debate anywhere, anytime,
> on Hudak's anti-union agenda and jobs plan. What is the name
> of this union?

Unifor.

> 3. In an appearance before the Senate national security and
> defense committee, the head of CSEC defended the actions of the
> agency in tracking the cell phones of people traveling through
> Canadian airports. What does CSEC stand for?

Communications Security Establishment Canada. 4 for Stephen.

> 4. Nominations for the Juno Awards were announced this week,
> with Montreal-based Arcade Fire leading the list. In how many
> categories was the group nominated for a Juno?

6. 3 for Stephen. 2 for Pete.

> 5. The US Federal Reserve made a historic appointment this week
> when it named a female chair. What is her name?

Janet Yellen. 4 for Joshua, Stephen, Marc, Erland, and Rob.
3 for Pete.

> 6. Who won Canada's first medal of the Olympics, on Saturday,
> February 8?

Mark McMorris. (Bronze, men's slopestyle.)

> 7. What US company, and sponsor of the Olympics, this week took the
> lead in releasing an unprecedented corporate statement condemning
> Russian laws surrounding homosexuality and urging other sponsors
> to do the same?

AT&T. 4 for Stephen and Marc.

> 8. Which major national law firm has been making headlines with
> stories of its closure? It is the largest failure of a legal
> firm in Canada ever.

Heenan Blaikie. Both words required.

> 9. Further to his brother's announcement that he would not be
> attending the World Pride Parade in Toronto this June, Doug
> Ford stated his own objection to the event, using the same
> 3 words 5 times in 4 minutes, according to the Toronto Star.
> What are these 3 words?

"Buck naked men".

> 10. Toronto city councillor Denzil Minnan-Wong has proposed renaming
> Union Station after who or what?

Sir John A. Macdonald. 4 for Stephen.

> * Game 6 (2014-02-24), Round 1 - Current Events

> 1. Shortages of consumer goods and soaring inflation were among
> the causes of violent demonstrations in Venezuela last week.
> Who is the current president of Venezuela?

Nicolas Maduro. 4 for Joshua, Stephen, Erland, and Jeff.

> 2. On Friday the former prime minister of Ukraine was released
> from prison. What's her name?

Yulia Tymoshenko. 4 for Joshua, Stephen, Calvin, Peter, Erland,
and Rob.

> 3. Tim Hudak announced Friday that he had dropped what labor policy,
> opposed by unions but implemented in many US states?

"Right to work", i.e. union dues not being mandatory. 4 for Joshua,
Stephen, and Jeff.

> 4. Rob Ford voted against allowing restaurants to serve alcohol
> during yesterday's gold-medal hockey game because he said it
> wouldn't be fair to what businesses?

Nightclubs. 4 for Stephen.

Since Ford lost most of his powers, he's made it a habit to argue
against just about anything City Council is going to pass. Bars and
restaurants here are normally only allowed to serve alcohol from
11 AM until 2 AM, and the game was at 7 AM our time, hence the matter
of a temporary exemption because of the "strong association between
watching a hockey game and perhaps having a beer", as one proponent
put it. The measure passed by a vote of 37-4.

> 5. Tim Hortons announced it will end its partnership with an
> American dairy and stop selling their ice cream products
> in Canada. Name the US company.

Cold Stone Creamery. 4 for Stephen.

> 6. A federal court ordered an Ontario Internet service provider to
> provide film production company Voltage Pictures the names of
> users it says illegally shared its films over a 2-month period
> in 2012. Name the ISP.

TekSavvy. 4 for Stephen.

> 7. British researchers found that a saliva test measuring levels
> of the hormone cortisol in teenage boys could identify those
> at high risk of suffering from what condition?

Depression. 4 for Stephen.

> 8. A lemming population explosion last summer led to an increase
> in the number of *which northern birds*, which have been observed
> far south of their normal range this winter? Be specific;
> we need the exact species.

Snowy owls (Bubo scandiacus). 4 for Stephen, Marc, and Jeff.

> 9. Name *either* the Canadian speed skater who gave up his place
> in the 1,000 m event, *or* his teammate who went on to win the
> silver medal.

Gilmore Junio, Denny Morrison. 4 for Stephen (the hard way).

> 10. Russia became the first nation since 1952 to lead the winter
> Olympics in both gold medals and total medals. They took
> the lead by winning all three medals in what event yesterday?
> Again, be specific.

Men's 50 km freestyle skiing. I accepted "cross-country" and
scored "marathon" as almost correct, but the distance was required.
4 for Peter, Erland, and Pete. 3 for Stephen.

> * Game 6, Round 4 - Sports Current Events - The 2014 Olympics

> 1. Name either member of the women's bobsled team that won gold
> medals in 2010 and 2014.

Kaillie Humphries, Heather Moyse. 4 for Stephen (the hard way).

> 2. This nation won 24 medals including 8 golds, despite sending only
> 41 athletes to Sochi. 23 of the medals were in speed skating
> and the other one was in short-track speed skating. Name the
> country.

Netherlands. 4 for Joshua, Stephen, Marc, Peter, Erland, and Pete.

> 3. The men and women of what country won all 4 gold medals in luge?

Germany. 4 for Stephen, Peter, and Pete.

> 4. Biathlete Darya Domracheva won 3 gold medals, more than her
> entire nation had won at all 5 previous Winter Olympics in which
> they participated as an independent country. Name the country.

Belarus. 4 for Stephen, Marc, and Pete. 2 for Joshua.

> 5. In Olympic alpine skiing, standings are based on timing only
> to the nearest 1/100 of a second, resulting in a tie and the
> award of two gold medals for the first time in what event?
> Be specific.

Women's downhill. 4 for Stephen. 3 for Pete.

> 6. Canada won its first alpine skiing medal in 20 years, a bronze.
> Name either the medalist or the event (again, be specific).

Jan Hudec, men's super G(iant slalom). 3 for Peter.

> 7. Name the hockey player who scored both goals in Canada's 2-0
> gold-medal win in 2010, and the tying and winning goals in the
> gold-medal game Thursday.

Marie-Philip Poulin. (This obviously was not about the men's
gold-medal game, as that was on Sunday -- as mentioned in Round 1 --
and the three goals were scored by different players.) 4 for Stephen
and Pete.

> 8. What country won the bronze medal in women's hockey?

Switzerland. 4 for Stephen and Erland. 2 for Jeff.

> 9. The brother tied for first place in scoring in the men's
> tournament with 5 goals and 3 assists; the sister tied for
> third place in scoring in the women's tournament with 3 goals
> and 3 assists. Give their surname.

Kessel. Phil and Amanda Kessel, USA. 4 for Stephen and Pete.

> 10. Name the skipper of either of Canada's gold-medal-winning
> curling teams.

Jennifer Jones, Brad Jacobs. 4 for Stephen.

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAMES-> 1 2 3 4 5 6 6S BEST FIVE
Stephen Perry 32 20 23 36 23 39 36 166
Pete Gayde 22 15 8 20 9 4 23 89
Joshua Kreitzer 10 16 12 15 8 12 6 65
Erland Sommarskog 16 12 4 8 8 12 8 56
Bruce Bowler 16 8 12 16 -- -- -- 52
Marc Dashevsky 12 8 4 16 8 4 8 52
Dan Blum 11 16 12 12 -- -- -- 51
Jeff Turner 11 4 4 12 0 12 2 43
Peter Smyth 8 8 8 8 4 8 11 43
Rob Parker 12 3 8 4 8 4 0 36
Dan Tilque 16 4 0 12 -- -- -- 32
"Calvin" -- -- -- -- 4 4 0 8
Jason Kreitzer 0 8 -- -- -- -- -- 8

--
Mark Brader | "I don't mean to be snooty or snippy or some other
m...@vex.net | six-letter word starting with s, ending in y, and
| Didn't mean to be that either." -- Hashi Lebwohl

Dan Tilque

Mar 1, 2014, 3:31:06 AM3/1/14
Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 5 (2014-02-10), Round 1 - Current Events
>
> 1. Battling mass unrest against his rule, Ukraine's president faced
> demands from the opposition this week for a constitutional
> change that would seriously curtail his powers. Who is he?
>
> 2. The president of Canada's largest private sector union has
> challenged PC leader Tim Hudak to a debate anywhere, anytime,
> on Hudak's anti-union agenda and jobs plan. What is the name
> of this union?
>
> 3. In an appearance before the Senate national security and
> defense committee, the head of CSEC defended the actions of the
> agency in tracking the cell phones of people traveling through
> Canadian airports. What does CSEC stand for?
>
> 4. Nominations for the Juno Awards were announced this week,
> with Montreal-based Arcade Fire leading the list. In how many
> categories was the group nominated for a Juno?
>
> 5. The US Federal Reserve made a historic appointment this week
> when it named a female chair. What is her name?

Yellen
Netherlands

> 3. The men and women of what country won all 4 gold medals in luge?

Switzerland

> 4. Biathlete Darya Domracheva won 3 gold medals, more than her
> entire nation had won at all 5 previous Winter Olympics in which
> they participated as an independent country. Name the country.

Lithuania; Latvia

> 5. In Olympic alpine skiing, standings are based on timing only
> to the nearest 1/100 of a second, resulting in a tie and the
> award of two gold medals for the first time in what event?
> Be specific.
>
> 6. Canada won its first alpine skiing medal in 20 years, a bronze.
> Name either the medalist or the event (again, be specific).
>
> 7. Name the hockey player who scored both goals in Canada's 2-0
> gold-medal win in 2010, and the tying and winning goals in the
> gold-medal game Thursday.

Crosby

--
Dan Tilque

Dan Blum

Feb 25, 2014, 10:34:10 PM2/25/14
Mark Brader <m...@vex.net> wrote:

> * Game 5 (2014-02-10), Round 1 - Current Events

> 4. Nominations for the Juno Awards were announced this week,
> with Montreal-based Arcade Fire leading the list. In how many
> categories was the group nominated for a Juno?

3; 4

> 5. The US Federal Reserve made a historic appointment this week
> when it named a female chair. What is her name?

Yellen

> 7. What US company, and sponsor of the Olympics, this week took the
> lead in releasing an unprecedented corporate statement condemning
> Russian laws surrounding homosexuality and urging other sponsors
> to do the same?

Coca-Cola; McDonald's

> * Game 6 (2014-02-24), Round 1 - Current Events

> 1. Shortages of consumer goods and soaring inflation were among
> the causes of violent demonstrations in Venezuela last week.
> Who is the current president of Venezuela?

Maduro

> 3. Tim Hudak announced Friday that he had dropped what labor policy,
> opposed by unions but implemented in many US states?

right to work

> 4. Rob Ford voted against allowing restaurants to serve alcohol
> during yesterday's gold-medal hockey game because he said it
> wouldn't be fair to what businesses?

bars

> 5. Tim Hortons announced it will end its partnership with an
> American dairy and stop selling their ice cream products
> in Canada. Name the US company.

Hood; Kemp

> * Game 6, Round 4 - Sports Current Events - The 2014 Olympics

> 2. This nation won 24 medals including 8 golds, despite sending only
> 41 athletes to Sochi. 23 of the medals were in speed skating
> and the other one was in short-track speed skating. Name the
> country.

Netherlands

> 3. The men and women of what country won all 4 gold medals in luge?

Russia; Norway

> 4. Biathlete Darya Domracheva won 3 gold medals, more than her
> entire nation had won at all 5 previous Winter Olympics in which
> they participated as an independent country. Name the country.

Belarus

> 8. What country won the bronze medal in women's hockey?

Sweden

Dan Blum to...@panix.com

Mark Brader

Mar 1, 2014, 4:42:45 PM3/1/14
I've just noticed that somehow -- either a news server glitch or my
own error -- when I scanned the thread to score this set, I failed
to pick up Dan Blum's answer slate. And since that means I have to
rescore anyway, I've decided to also accept Dan Tilque's answers,
which would otherwise have been too late.

In addition, when rescoring I realized that I'd previously accepted
a wrong answer. The men's giant slalom is not the same event as the
men's super giant slalom (or super G), and Peter Smyth loses 3 points.

For simplicity, here's a full re-presentation of the answers and scores.

> * Game 5 (2014-02-10), Round 1 - Current Events

> 1. Battling mass unrest against his rule, Ukraine's president faced
> demands from the opposition this week for a constitutional
> change that would seriously curtail his powers. Who is he?

Viktor Yanukovych. 4 for Joshua, Stephen, Calvin, Peter, Erland,
Pete, and Rob.

> 2. The president of Canada's largest private sector union has
> challenged PC leader Tim Hudak to a debate anywhere, anytime,
> on Hudak's anti-union agenda and jobs plan. What is the name
> of this union?

Unifor.

> 3. In an appearance before the Senate national security and
> defense committee, the head of CSEC defended the actions of the
> agency in tracking the cell phones of people traveling through
> Canadian airports. What does CSEC stand for?

Communications Security Establishment Canada. 4 for Stephen.

> 4. Nominations for the Juno Awards were announced this week,
> with Montreal-based Arcade Fire leading the list. In how many
> categories was the group nominated for a Juno?

6. 3 for Stephen. 2 for Pete.

> 5. The US Federal Reserve made a historic appointment this week
> when it named a female chair. What is her name?

Janet Yellen. 4 for Joshua, Stephen, Dan Blum, Marc, Erland, Rob,
and Dan Tilque. 3 for Pete.

> 6. Who won Canada's first medal of the Olympics, on Saturday,
> February 8?

Mark McMorris.

> 7. What US company, and sponsor of the Olympics, this week took the
> lead in releasing an unprecedented corporate statement condemning
> Russian laws surrounding homosexuality and urging other sponsors
> to do the same?

AT&T. 4 for Stephen and Marc.

> 8. Which major national law firm has been making headlines with
> stories of its closure? It is the largest failure of a legal
> firm in Canada ever.

Heenan Blaikie.

> 9. Further to his brother's announcement that he would not be
> attending the World Pride Parade in Toronto this June, Doug
> Ford stated his own objection to the event, using the same
> 3 words 5 times in 4 minutes, according to the Toronto Star.
> What are these 3 words?

"Buck naked men".

> 10. Toronto city councillor Denzil Minnan-Wong has proposed renaming
> Union Station after who or what?

Sir John A. Macdonald. 4 for Stephen.

> * Game 6 (2014-02-24), Round 1 - Current Events

> 1. Shortages of consumer goods and soaring inflation were among
> the causes of violent demonstrations in Venezuela last week.
> Who is the current president of Venezuela?

Nicolas Maduro. 4 for Joshua, Stephen, Dan Blum, Erland, and Jeff.

> 2. On Friday the former prime minister of Ukraine was released
> from prison. What's her name?

Yulia Tymoshenko. 4 for Joshua, Stephen, Calvin, Peter, Erland,
and Rob.

> 3. Tim Hudak announced Friday that he had dropped what labor policy,
> opposed by unions but implemented in many US states?

"Right to work", i.e. union dues not being mandatory. 4 for Joshua,
Stephen, Dan Blum, and Jeff.

> 4. Rob Ford voted against allowing restaurants to serve alcohol
> during yesterday's gold-medal hockey game because he said it
> wouldn't be fair to what businesses?

Nightclubs. 4 for Stephen.

Men's 50 km freestyle skiing. 4 for Peter, Erland, and Pete.
3 for Stephen.

> * Game 6, Round 4 - Sports Current Events - The 2014 Olympics

> 1. Name either member of the women's bobsled team that won gold
> medals in 2010 and 2014.

Kaillie Humphries, Heather Moyse. 4 for Stephen (the hard way).

> 2. This nation won 24 medals including 8 golds, despite sending only
> 41 athletes to Sochi. 23 of the medals were in speed skating
> and the other one was in short-track speed skating. Name the
> country.

Netherlands. 4 for Joshua, Stephen, Dan Blum, Marc, Peter, Erland,
Pete, and Dan Tilque.

> 3. The men and women of what country won all 4 gold medals in luge?

Germany. 4 for Stephen, Peter, and Pete.

> 4. Biathlete Darya Domracheva won 3 gold medals, more than her
> entire nation had won at all 5 previous Winter Olympics in which
> they participated as an independent country. Name the country.

Belarus. 4 for Stephen, Dan Blum, Marc, and Pete. 2 for Joshua.

> 5. In Olympic alpine skiing, standings are based on timing only
> to the nearest 1/100 of a second, resulting in a tie and the
> award of two gold medals for the first time in what event?
> Be specific.

Women's downhill. 4 for Stephen. 3 for Pete.

> 6. Canada won its first alpine skiing medal in 20 years, a bronze.
> Name either the medalist or the event (again, be specific).

Jan Hudec, men's super G(iant slalom).

> 7. Name the hockey player who scored both goals in Canada's 2-0
> gold-medal win in 2010, and the tying and winning goals in the
> gold-medal game Thursday.

Marie-Philip Poulin. (This obviously was not about the men's
gold-medal game, as that was on Sunday -- as mentioned in Round 1 --
and the three goals were scored by different players.) 4 for Stephen
and Pete.

> 8. What country won the bronze medal in women's hockey?

Switzerland. 4 for Stephen and Erland. 2 for Jeff.

> 9. The brother tied for first place in scoring in the men's
> tournament with 5 goals and 3 assists; the sister tied for
> third place in scoring in the women's tournament with 3 goals
> and 3 assists. Give their surname.

Kessel. Phil and Amanda Kessel, USA. 4 for Stephen and Pete.

> 10. Name the skipper of either of Canada's gold-medal-winning
> curling teams.

Jennifer Jones, Brad Jacobs. 4 for Stephen.

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAMES-> 1 2 3 4 5 6 6S BEST FIVE
Stephen Perry 32 20 23 36 23 39 36 166
Pete Gayde 22 15 8 20 9 4 23 89
Joshua Kreitzer 10 16 12 15 8 12 6 65
Dan Blum 11 16 12 12 4 8 8 59
Erland Sommarskog 16 12 4 8 8 12 8 56
Bruce Bowler 16 8 12 16 -- -- -- 52
Marc Dashevsky 12 8 4 16 8 4 8 52
Jeff Turner 11 4 4 12 0 12 2 43
Dan Tilque 16 4 0 12 4 0 4 40
Peter Smyth 8 8 8 8 4 8 8 40
Rob Parker 12 3 8 4 8 4 0 36
"Calvin" -- -- -- -- 4 4 0 8
Jason Kreitzer 0 8 -- -- -- -- -- 8

--
Mark Brader | "Everyone knows that the whole scheme is a pig's ear
Toronto | and a dog's breakfast, and a mare's nest to boot."