QFTCISG Final, Round 4: Geography

Mark Brader

Feb 1, 2018, 1:08:12 AM2/1/18
These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2017-12-05,
and should be interpreted accordingly.

Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
the correct answers in about 3 days.

All questions were written by members of Smith & Guessin' and are
used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have
been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information see
my 2017-09-25 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

** Final, Round 4 - Geography

That is: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/gfr4/geo.jpg

* African Capitals

We'll give you the capital city and show the country on a map.
You name the country.

1. N'Djamena; http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/gfr4/afr/1.jpg
2. Lilongwe; http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/gfr4/afr/2.jpg
3. Nouakchott; http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/gfr4/afr/3.jpg

* Landmarks

4. See: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/gfr4/where/4.jpg

Pictured is the world's largest salt flat at over 10,000 km².
It is located in a province that once was the richest province
in the Spanish Empire. In what country is it now?

5. See: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/gfr4/where/5.jpg

The Avenue of the Baobabs is a scenic stretch of road lined by
trees that are unique to this region. In what country would
you find this?

6. See: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/gfr4/where/6.jpg

This massive structure, the Azadi Tower, was built to commemorate
the 2,500th anniversary of the foundation of the imperial state.
Today it is an Islamic republic. In what country would you
find this?

* River Boundaries

7. Name *either one* of the two rivers that, between them, form
the majority of the border between Belize and Mexico.

8. Much of the border between New Brunswick and the state of Maine
consists of rivers. Name *any one* of them.

9. Name the river that forms the border between South Africa and
the southern end of Namibia.

* Coordinates

In each case, we give a position by latitude and longitude, and you
pick from the multiple-choice list the place it represents.

10. 34°55'S, 138°36'E. Is it:
(A) Addis Ababa, Ethopia?
(B) Jakarta, Indonesia?
(C) Adelaide, Australia?
(D) Cape Town, South Africa?
(E) The Tranzac, Toronto, Canada?

11. 59°57'N, 10°45'E:
(A) Oslo, Norway?
(B) St. Petersburg, Russia?
(C) Reykjavik, Iceland?
(D) Whitehorse, Yukon, Canada?
(E) The Tranzac, Toronto, Canada?

12. 5°33'N, 0°12'W:
(A) Madras, India?
(B) Lima, Peru?
(C) Rio de Janeiro, Brazil?
(D) Accra, Ghana?
(E) The Tranzac, Toronto, Canada?

* Name the Mistake

Here's another multiple-choice triple. Each map has five
locations labeled. One label is in the wrong place. Which one?
(You don't have to provide a correction.)

13. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/gfr4/oops/13.jpg
14. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/gfr4/oops/14.jpg
15. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/gfr4/oops/15.jpg

--
Mark Brader, Toronto Attenton to dteail; thats' the secreg.
m...@vex.net --Robin Bignall

Erland Sommarskog

Feb 1, 2018, 1:26:00 AM2/1/18
Mark Brader (m...@vex.net) writes:
> 1. N'Djamena; http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/gfr4/afr/1.jpg

Chad

> 2. Lilongwe; http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/gfr4/afr/2.jpg

Malawi

> 3. Nouakchott; http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/gfr4/afr/3.jpg

Maurentia

> 4. See: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/gfr4/where/4.jpg
>
> Pictured is the world's largest salt flat at over 10,000 km².
> It is located in a province that once was the richest province
> in the Spanish Empire. In what country is it now?

Bolivia

> 5. See: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/gfr4/where/5.jpg
>
> The Avenue of the Baobabs is a scenic stretch of road lined by
> trees that are unique to this region. In what country would
> you find this?

Tanzania

> 6. See: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/gfr4/where/6.jpg
>
> This massive structure, the Azadi Tower, was built to commemorate
> the 2,500th anniversary of the foundation of the imperial state.
> Today it is an Islamic republic. In what country would you
> find this?

Iran

> * Coordinates
>
> In each case, we give a position by latitude and longitude, and you
> pick from the multiple-choice list the place it represents.
>
> 10. 34°55'S, 138°36'E. Is it:
> (A) Addis Ababa, Ethopia?
> (B) Jakarta, Indonesia?
> (C) Adelaide, Australia?
> (D) Cape Town, South Africa?
> (E) The Tranzac, Toronto, Canada?

> 11. 59°57'N, 10°45'E:
> (A) Oslo, Norway?
> (B) St. Petersburg, Russia?
> (C) Reykjavik, Iceland?
> (D) Whitehorse, Yukon, Canada?
> (E) The Tranzac, Toronto, Canada?

> 12. 5°33'N, 0°12'W:
> (A) Madras, India?
> (B) Lima, Peru?
> (C) Rio de Janeiro, Brazil?
> (D) Accra, Ghana?
> (E) The Tranzac, Toronto, Canada?

> 13. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/gfr4/oops/13.jpg

Sierra Leone

> 14. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/gfr4/oops/14.jpg

Sioux City

> 15. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/gfr4/oops/15.jpg

Paramaribo

(Bariloche is also a bit ouf of place, it is situated somewhat further
north. but the error is too small to be the intended one.)

Joshua Kreitzer

Feb 1, 2018, 1:30:25 AM2/1/18
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:JZGdndvD7e1aM-_HnZ2dnUU7-
WXN...@giganews.com:

> ** Final, Round 4 - Geography
>
> That is: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/gfr4/geo.jpg
>

> * African Capitals
>
> We'll give you the capital city and show the country on a map.
> You name the country.
>
> 1. N'Djamena; http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/gfr4/afr/1.jpg

Mauritania

> * Landmarks
>
> 4. See: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/gfr4/where/4.jpg
>
> Pictured is the world's largest salt flat at over 10,000 km².
> It is located in a province that once was the richest province
> in the Spanish Empire. In what country is it now?

Chile; Argentina

> 6. See: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/gfr4/where/6.jpg
>
> This massive structure, the Azadi Tower, was built to commemorate
> the 2,500th anniversary of the foundation of the imperial state.
> Today it is an Islamic republic. In what country would you
> find this?

Iran

> * River Boundaries
>
> 9. Name the river that forms the border between South Africa and
> the southern end of Namibia.

Orange River

> * Coordinates
>
> In each case, we give a position by latitude and longitude, and you
> pick from the multiple-choice list the place it represents.
>
> 10. 34°55'S, 138°36'E. Is it:
> (A) Addis Ababa, Ethopia?
> (B) Jakarta, Indonesia?
> (C) Adelaide, Australia?
> (D) Cape Town, South Africa?
> (E) The Tranzac, Toronto, Canada?

(C) Adelaide, Australia

> 11. 59°57'N, 10°45'E:
> (A) Oslo, Norway?
> (B) St. Petersburg, Russia?
> (C) Reykjavik, Iceland?
> (D) Whitehorse, Yukon, Canada?
> (E) The Tranzac, Toronto, Canada?

(A) Oslo, Norway

> 12. 5°33'N, 0°12'W:
> (A) Madras, India?
> (B) Lima, Peru?
> (C) Rio de Janeiro, Brazil?
> (D) Accra, Ghana?
> (E) The Tranzac, Toronto, Canada?

(D) Accra, Ghana

> * Name the Mistake
>
> Here's another multiple-choice triple. Each map has five
> locations labeled. One label is in the wrong place. Which one?
> (You don't have to provide a correction.)
>
> 13. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/gfr4/oops/13.jpg

Tulsa

> 15. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/gfr4/oops/15.jpg

Paramaribo

--
Joshua Kreitzer
grom...@hotmail.com

Dan Tilque

Feb 1, 2018, 3:31:32 AM2/1/18
Mark Brader wrote:

> ** Final, Round 4 - Geography
>
> That is: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/gfr4/geo.jpg
>

> * African Capitals
>
> We'll give you the capital city and show the country on a map.
> You name the country.
>
> 1. N'Djamena; http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/gfr4/afr/1.jpg

Mali

> * Landmarks
>
> 4. See: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/gfr4/where/4.jpg
>
> Pictured is the world's largest salt flat at over 10,000 km².
> It is located in a province that once was the richest province
> in the Spanish Empire. In what country is it now?

Mexico

> 5. See: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/gfr4/where/5.jpg
>
> The Avenue of the Baobabs is a scenic stretch of road lined by
> trees that are unique to this region. In what country would
> you find this?

Kenya, Tanzania

> 6. See: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/gfr4/where/6.jpg
>
> This massive structure, the Azadi Tower, was built to commemorate
> the 2,500th anniversary of the foundation of the imperial state.
> Today it is an Islamic republic. In what country would you
> find this?

Iran

> * River Boundaries
>
> 7. Name *either one* of the two rivers that, between them, form
> the majority of the border between Belize and Mexico.
>
> 8. Much of the border between New Brunswick and the state of Maine
> consists of rivers. Name *any one* of them.

Aroostook

> 9. Name the river that forms the border between South Africa and
> the southern end of Namibia.
>

> * Coordinates
>
> In each case, we give a position by latitude and longitude, and you
> pick from the multiple-choice list the place it represents.
>
> 10. 34°55'S, 138°36'E. Is it:
> (A) Addis Ababa, Ethopia?
> (B) Jakarta, Indonesia?
> (C) Adelaide, Australia?
> (D) Cape Town, South Africa?
> (E) The Tranzac, Toronto, Canada?

> 11. 59°57'N, 10°45'E:
> (A) Oslo, Norway?
> (B) St. Petersburg, Russia?
> (C) Reykjavik, Iceland?
> (D) Whitehorse, Yukon, Canada?
> (E) The Tranzac, Toronto, Canada?

> 12. 5°33'N, 0°12'W:
> (A) Madras, India?
> (B) Lima, Peru?
> (C) Rio de Janeiro, Brazil?
> (D) Accra, Ghana?
> (E) The Tranzac, Toronto, Canada?

> * Name the Mistake
>
> Here's another multiple-choice triple. Each map has five
> locations labeled. One label is in the wrong place. Which one?
> (You don't have to provide a correction.)
>
> 13. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/gfr4/oops/13.jpg

Bariloche

--
Dan Tilque

Marc Dashevsky

Feb 1, 2018, 10:28:48 AM2/1/18
In article <JZGdndvD7e1aM-_H...@giganews.com>, m...@vex.net says...

> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2017-12-05,

> Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
> the correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of Smith & Guessin' and are
> used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have
> been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information see
> my 2017-09-25 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>

> ** Final, Round 4 - Geography
>
> That is: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/gfr4/geo.jpg
>

> * African Capitals
>
> We'll give you the capital city and show the country on a map.
> You name the country.
>
> 1. N'Djamena; http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/gfr4/afr/1.jpg
Chad
Mauritania

> * Landmarks
>
> 4. See: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/gfr4/where/4.jpg
>
> Pictured is the world's largest salt flat at over 10,000 km².
> It is located in a province that once was the richest province
> in the Spanish Empire. In what country is it now?
USA

> 5. See: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/gfr4/where/5.jpg
>
> The Avenue of the Baobabs is a scenic stretch of road lined by
> trees that are unique to this region. In what country would
> you find this?
South Africa

> 6. See: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/gfr4/where/6.jpg
>
> This massive structure, the Azadi Tower, was built to commemorate
> the 2,500th anniversary of the foundation of the imperial state.
> Today it is an Islamic republic. In what country would you
> find this?
Iran

> * River Boundaries
>
> 7. Name *either one* of the two rivers that, between them, form
> the majority of the border between Belize and Mexico.
>
> 8. Much of the border between New Brunswick and the state of Maine
> consists of rivers. Name *any one* of them.
St. John

Peter Smyth

Feb 1, 2018, 12:52:44 PM2/1/18
Mark Brader wrote:

> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2017-12-05,

> Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
> the correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of Smith & Guessin' and are
> used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have
> been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information see
> my 2017-09-25 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>

> ** Final, Round 4 - Geography
>
> That is: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/gfr4/geo.jpg
>

> * African Capitals
>
> We'll give you the capital city and show the country on a map.
> You name the country.
>
> 1. N'Djamena; http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/gfr4/afr/1.jpg
Malawi
> 3. Nouakchott; http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/gfr4/afr/3.jpg
Mauritania

> * Landmarks
>
> 4. See: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/gfr4/where/4.jpg
>
> Pictured is the world's largest salt flat at over 10,000 km².
> It is located in a province that once was the richest province
> in the Spanish Empire. In what country is it now?
Argentina
> 5. See: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/gfr4/where/5.jpg
>
> The Avenue of the Baobabs is a scenic stretch of road lined by
> trees that are unique to this region. In what country would
> you find this?
China
> 6. See: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/gfr4/where/6.jpg
>
> This massive structure, the Azadi Tower, was built to commemorate
> the 2,500th anniversary of the foundation of the imperial state.
> Today it is an Islamic republic. In what country would you
> find this?
Iran

> * River Boundaries
>
> 7. Name *either one* of the two rivers that, between them, form
> the majority of the border between Belize and Mexico.
>
> 8. Much of the border between New Brunswick and the state of Maine
> consists of rivers. Name *any one* of them.
>
> 9. Name the river that forms the border between South Africa and
> the southern end of Namibia.
Limpopo

> * Coordinates
>
> In each case, we give a position by latitude and longitude, and you
> pick from the multiple-choice list the place it represents.
>
> 10. 34°55'S, 138°36'E. Is it:
> (A) Addis Ababa, Ethopia?
> (B) Jakarta, Indonesia?
> (C) Adelaide, Australia?
> (D) Cape Town, South Africa?
> (E) The Tranzac, Toronto, Canada?
> 11. 59°57'N, 10°45'E:
> (A) Oslo, Norway?
> (B) St. Petersburg, Russia?
> (C) Reykjavik, Iceland?
> (D) Whitehorse, Yukon, Canada?
> (E) The Tranzac, Toronto, Canada?
> 12. 5°33'N, 0°12'W:
> (A) Madras, India?
> (B) Lima, Peru?
> (C) Rio de Janeiro, Brazil?
> (D) Accra, Ghana?
> (E) The Tranzac, Toronto, Canada?
>
> * Name the Mistake
>
> Here's another multiple-choice triple. Each map has five
> locations labeled. One label is in the wrong place. Which one?
> (You don't have to provide a correction.)
>
> 13. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/gfr4/oops/13.jpg
Paramaribo

Peter Smyth

Bruce Bowler

Feb 1, 2018, 1:34:25 PM2/1/18
On Thu, 01 Feb 2018 00:08:07 -0600, Mark Brader wrote:

> * River Boundaries
>
> 7. Name *either one* of the two rivers that, between them, form
> the majority of the border between Belize and Mexico.
>
> 8. Much of the border between New Brunswick and the state of Maine
> consists of rivers. Name *any one* of them.

St. John

> 9. Name the river that forms the border between South Africa and
> the southern end of Namibia.
>

> * Coordinates
>
> In each case, we give a position by latitude and longitude, and you pick
> from the multiple-choice list the place it represents.
>
> 10. 34°55'S, 138°36'E. Is it:

Adelaide

> (A) Addis Ababa, Ethopia?
> (B) Jakarta, Indonesia?
> (C) Adelaide, Australia?
> (D) Cape Town, South Africa?
> (E) The Tranzac, Toronto, Canada?
>
> 11. 59°57'N, 10°45'E:

Oslo; St. Petersburg

> (A) Oslo, Norway?
> (B) St. Petersburg, Russia?
> (C) Reykjavik, Iceland?
> (D) Whitehorse, Yukon, Canada?
> (E) The Tranzac, Toronto, Canada?
>
> 12. 5°33'N, 0°12'W:

Accra

> (A) Madras, India?
> (B) Lima, Peru?
> (C) Rio de Janeiro, Brazil?
> (D) Accra, Ghana?
> (E) The Tranzac, Toronto, Canada?
>

> * Name the Mistake
>
> Here's another multiple-choice triple. Each map has five locations
> labeled. One label is in the wrong place. Which one? (You don't have
> to provide a correction.)
>
> 13. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/gfr4/oops/13.jpg

Sierra Leone; Estonia
Manaus

Marc Dashevsky

Feb 1, 2018, 2:37:29 PM2/1/18
Upon reviewing my posted responses I sawd that I had not noticed the final
set of questions. Having researched nothing and having seen no other answers,
I submit these answers in the hope that you will accept them.

In article <MPG.34dcee2...@news.eternal-september.org>, use...@MarcDashevsky.com says...
> > * Name the Mistake
> >
> > Here's another multiple-choice triple. Each map has five
> > locations labeled. One label is in the wrong place. Which one?
> > (You don't have to provide a correction.)
> >
> > 13. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/gfr4/oops/13.jpg

Dan Blum

Feb 1, 2018, 4:11:32 PM2/1/18
Mark Brader <m...@vex.net> wrote:

> ** Final, Round 4 - Geography

> * African Capitals
Cameroon

> 3. Nouakchott; http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/gfr4/afr/3.jpg

Mauritania

> Pictured is the world's largest salt flat at over 10,000 km?.
> It is located in a province that once was the richest province
> in the Spanish Empire. In what country is it now?

Bolivia; Peru

> 5. See: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/gfr4/where/5.jpg

> The Avenue of the Baobabs is a scenic stretch of road lined by
> trees that are unique to this region. In what country would
> you find this?

Democratic Republic of the Congo; Kenya

> 6. See: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/gfr4/where/6.jpg

> This massive structure, the Azadi Tower, was built to commemorate
> the 2,500th anniversary of the foundation of the imperial state.
> Today it is an Islamic republic. In what country would you
> find this?

Iran

> * River Boundaries

> 8. Much of the border between New Brunswick and the state of Maine
> consists of rivers. Name *any one* of them.

Caribou

> 9. Name the river that forms the border between South Africa and
> the southern end of Namibia.

Limpopo

> * Coordinates

> 10. 34?55'S, 138?36'E. Is it:
> (A) Addis Ababa, Ethopia?
> (B) Jakarta, Indonesia?
> (C) Adelaide, Australia?
> (D) Cape Town, South Africa?
> (E) The Tranzac, Toronto, Canada?

(C) Adelaide, Australia

> 11. 59?57'N, 10?45'E:
> (A) Oslo, Norway?
> (B) St. Petersburg, Russia?
> (C) Reykjavik, Iceland?
> (D) Whitehorse, Yukon, Canada?
> (E) The Tranzac, Toronto, Canada?

(B) St. Petersburg, Russia

> 12. 5?33'N, 0?12'W:
> (A) Madras, India?
> (B) Lima, Peru?
> (C) Rio de Janeiro, Brazil?
> (D) Accra, Ghana?
> (E) The Tranzac, Toronto, Canada?

(D) Accra, Ghana

> * Name the Mistake

Bariloche; Manaus

Dan Blum to...@panix.com

Mark Brader

Feb 2, 2018, 1:09:44 AM2/2/18
Marc Dashevsky:
> Upon reviewing my posted responses I sawd that I had not noticed the final
> set of questions. Having researched nothing and having seen no other answers,
> I submit these answers in the hope that you will accept them.

Okay.
--
Mark Brader | "Oh, especially if it's accurate. There's nothing worse
Toronto | than *accurate*, ill-informed, irresponsible press

Marc Dashevsky

Feb 2, 2018, 1:16:14 AM2/2/18
In article <etCdnRsenbc-nenH...@giganews.com>, m...@vex.net says...

> Marc Dashevsky:
> > Upon reviewing my posted responses I sawd that I had not noticed the final
> > set of questions. Having researched nothing and having seen no other answers,
> > I submit these answers in the hope that you will accept them.
>
> Okay.

Thanks

Pete Gayde

Feb 2, 2018, 2:16:06 AM2/2/18
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:JZGdndvD7e1aM-_HnZ2dnUU7-
WXN...@giganews.com:

> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2017-12-05,

> Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
> the correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of Smith & Guessin' and are
> used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have
> been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information see
> my 2017-09-25 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>

> ** Final, Round 4 - Geography
>
> That is: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/gfr4/geo.jpg
>

> * African Capitals
>
> We'll give you the capital city and show the country on a map.
> You name the country.
>
> 1. N'Djamena; http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/gfr4/afr/1.jpg

Zambia

> 3. Nouakchott; http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/gfr4/afr/3.jpg

Mauritania

> * Landmarks
>
> 4. See: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/gfr4/where/4.jpg
>
> Pictured is the world's largest salt flat at over 10,000 km².
> It is located in a province that once was the richest province
> in the Spanish Empire. In what country is it now?

Bolivia

> 5. See: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/gfr4/where/5.jpg
>
> The Avenue of the Baobabs is a scenic stretch of road lined by
> trees that are unique to this region. In what country would
> you find this?

Madagascar

> 6. See: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/gfr4/where/6.jpg
>
> This massive structure, the Azadi Tower, was built to commemorate
> the 2,500th anniversary of the foundation of the imperial state.
> Today it is an Islamic republic. In what country would you
> find this?

Iraq; Iran

> * River Boundaries
>
> 7. Name *either one* of the two rivers that, between them, form
> the majority of the border between Belize and Mexico.
>
> 8. Much of the border between New Brunswick and the state of Maine
> consists of rivers. Name *any one* of them.
>
> 9. Name the river that forms the border between South Africa and
> the southern end of Namibia.
>

> * Coordinates
>
> In each case, we give a position by latitude and longitude, and you
> pick from the multiple-choice list the place it represents.
>
> 10. 34°55'S, 138°36'E. Is it:
> (A) Addis Ababa, Ethopia?
> (B) Jakarta, Indonesia?
> (C) Adelaide, Australia?
> (D) Cape Town, South Africa?
> (E) The Tranzac, Toronto, Canada?

> 11. 59°57'N, 10°45'E:
> (A) Oslo, Norway?
> (B) St. Petersburg, Russia?
> (C) Reykjavik, Iceland?
> (D) Whitehorse, Yukon, Canada?
> (E) The Tranzac, Toronto, Canada?

B; A

> 12. 5°33'N, 0°12'W:
> (A) Madras, India?
> (B) Lima, Peru?
> (C) Rio de Janeiro, Brazil?
> (D) Accra, Ghana?
> (E) The Tranzac, Toronto, Canada?

None of the above?

> * Name the Mistake
>
> Here's another multiple-choice triple. Each map has five
> locations labeled. One label is in the wrong place. Which one?
> (You don't have to provide a correction.)
>
> 13. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/gfr4/oops/13.jpg

Paramaribo

Pete Gayde

Jason Kreitzer

Feb 3, 2018, 10:13:51 PM2/3/18
On Thursday, February 1, 2018 at 1:08:12 AM UTC-5, Mark Brader wrote:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2017-12-05,

> Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
> the correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of Smith & Guessin' and are
> used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have
> been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information see
> my 2017-09-25 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>

> ** Final, Round 4 - Geography
>
> That is: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/gfr4/geo.jpg
>

> * African Capitals
>
> We'll give you the capital city and show the country on a map.
> You name the country.
>
> 1. N'Djamena; http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/gfr4/afr/1.jpg
Mozambique?
> 3. Nouakchott; http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/gfr4/afr/3.jpg
Mali?
Asuncion

Mark Brader

Feb 4, 2018, 5:46:33 AM2/4/18
Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2017-12-05,
> see my 2017-09-25 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

> ** Final, Round 4 - Geography

> That is: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/gfr4/geo.jpg

This was tied for the easiest round in the original game.

> * African Capitals

> We'll give you the capital city and show the country on a map.
> You name the country.

> 1. N'Djamena; http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/gfr4/afr/1.jpg

Chad. 4 for Erland, Joshua, Dan Tilque, Marc, Peter, Dan Blum,
Pete, and Jason.

> 2. Lilongwe; http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/gfr4/afr/2.jpg

Malawi. 4 for Erland, Joshua, Dan Tilque, and Peter.

> 3. Nouakchott; http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/gfr4/afr/3.jpg

Mauritania. 4 for Joshua, Marc, Peter, Dan Blum, and Pete.
3 for Erland.

> * Landmarks

> 4. See: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/gfr4/where/4.jpg

> Pictured is the world's largest salt flat at over 10,000 km².
> It is located in a province that once was the richest province
> in the Spanish Empire. In what country is it now?

Bolivia. 4 for Erland and Pete. 3 for Dan Blum.

> 5. See: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/gfr4/where/5.jpg

> The Avenue of the Baobabs is a scenic stretch of road lined by
> trees that are unique to this region. In what country would
> you find this?

Madagascar. 4 for Pete.

> 6. See: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/gfr4/where/6.jpg

> This massive structure, the Azadi Tower, was built to commemorate
> the 2,500th anniversary of the foundation of the imperial state.
> Today it is an Islamic republic. In what country would you
> find this?

Iran. 4 for Erland, Joshua, Dan Tilque, Marc, Peter, and Dan Blum.
2 for Pete.

> * River Boundaries

> 7. Name *either one* of the two rivers that, between them, form
> the majority of the border between Belize and Mexico.

Hondo, Azul.

> 8. Much of the border between New Brunswick and the state of Maine
> consists of rivers. Name *any one* of them.

St. Croix, St. John, St. Francis. 4 for Marc and Bruce.

"Aroostook" was a good guess; that river *crosses* the border and
flows into the St. John about 20 miles south of where the border
diverges from the St. John to run straight south.

> 9. Name the river that forms the border between South Africa and
> the southern end of Namibia.

Orange. 4 for Joshua.

> * Coordinates

> In each case, we give a position by latitude and longitude, and you
> pick from the multiple-choice list the place it represents.

> 10. 34°55'S, 138°36'E. Is it:
> (A) Addis Ababa, Ethopia?
> (B) Jakarta, Indonesia?
> (C) Adelaide, Australia?
> (D) Cape Town, South Africa?
> (E) The Tranzac, Toronto, Canada?

(C) Adelaide. 4 for Erland, Joshua, Dan Tilque, Peter, Bruce,
and Dan Blum.

According to Google Maps, the others are off by about: (A) 7,130 miles
(B) 2,830 miles (D) 6,310 miles (E) 10,340 miles.

> 11. 59°57'N, 10°45'E:
> (A) Oslo, Norway?
> (B) St. Petersburg, Russia?
> (C) Reykjavik, Iceland?
> (D) Whitehorse, Yukon, Canada?
> (E) The Tranzac, Toronto, Canada?

(A) Oslo. 4 for Erland, Joshua, Dan Tilque, and Peter. 3 for Bruce.
2 for Pete.

The others are off by about: (B) 675 miles (C) 1,080 miles
(D) 3,900 miles (E) 3,690 miles.

> 12. 5°33'N, 0°12'W:
> (A) Madras, India?
> (B) Lima, Peru?
> (C) Rio de Janeiro, Brazil?
> (D) Accra, Ghana?
> (E) The Tranzac, Toronto, Canada?

(D) Accra. 4 for Erland, Joshua, Dan Tilque, Peter, Bruce,
and Dan Blum.

The others are off by about: (A) 5,490 miles (B) 5,420 miles
(C) 3,520 miles (E) 5,410 miles.

> * Name the Mistake

> Here's another multiple-choice triple. Each map has five
> locations labeled. One label is in the wrong place. Which one?
> (You don't have to provide a correction.)

> 13. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/gfr4/oops/13.jpg

Sierra Leone. (It should be further south, on the bit of coast that
faces southwest. That dot is in Western Sahara.) 4 for Erland,
Joshua, Dan Tilque, Marc, Peter, Dan Blum, Pete, and Jason.
3 for Bruce.

> 14. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/gfr4/oops/14.jpg

Tulsa. (It should be one state southeast, in Oklahoma. That dot
is in Colorado.) 4 for Joshua, Dan Tilque, Marc, Peter, Bruce,
Dan Blum, Pete, and Jason.

> 15. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/gfr4/oops/15.jpg

The expected answer was Paramaribo (it should be one country
east, in Suriname; that dot is in Guyana, about 320 miles away).
But as Erland was the first to note, Bariloche is also misplaced
(it should be distinctly farther north, not south, than the Valdes
Peninsula on the east coast; that dot is about 180 miles south of the
true position). So I'm accepting either one. Hence, 4 for Erland,
Joshua, Dan Tilque, Peter, and Pete. 3 for Dan Blum.

Scores, if there are no errors:

FINAL ROUNDS-> 2 3 4 TOTALS
TOPICS-> His A&L Geo
Dan Tilque 32 23 36 91
Dan Blum 37 20 34 91
Joshua Kreitzer 20 12 44 76
Marc Dashevsky 24 20 24 68
Pete Gayde 18 16 32 66
Erland Sommarskog 24 -- 39 63
Peter Smyth 21 -- 40 61
Bruce Bowler -- 20 22 42
Jason Kreitzer 8 12 12 32

--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "If gravity stops working, a power cut is
m...@vex.net | the least of your problems." -- David Bell