QFTCIMM16 Game 1, Rounds 4-6: pacifism, TV themes, sports terms

Mark Brader

Nov 29, 2016, 12:23:28 AM11/29/16
These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2016-09-19,
and should be interpreted accordingly.

Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
the correct answers in about 3 days.

All questions were written by members of the Misplaced Modifiers
and are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may
have been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information
see my recent companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

* Game 1, Round 4 - History - Pacifism and Non-Violence

1. Who advocated non-violent resistance to South African apartheid
and was awarded the 1984 Nobel Peace Prize?

2. Which Central American country has had no standing army since
1948 -- and is, in fact, constitutionally forbidden from
having one?

3. On April 6, 2008, the Dalai Lama wrote: "It is the legitimate
right of every Tibetan to struggle for their freedoms and rights.
On the other hand, it will be futile and not helpful to anyone
if we do something that will create hatred in the minds of the
Chinese people." *What event* was he urging his followers not
to demonstrate against?

4. Woodrow Wilson was awarded the 1919 Nobel Peace Prize for his
role in establishing what?

5. The word "conchie" was coined in the early 20th century.
What does it mean?

6. Which British philosopher was the first president of the Campaign
for Nuclear Disarmament?

7. The only vote in Parliament against Canada's entry into World
War II was that of the CCF leader. Name that MP.

8. On February 22, 1943, Nazi Germany guillotined three founding
members of a non-violent resistance movement, including
University of Munich student Sophie Scholl. Name the *movement*.

9. By the beginning of the 20th century, according to the "Canadian
Encyclopedia", four Christian groups had received specific
exemptions from military obligations. Three of these groups were
the Quakers, the Mennonites, and the Hutterites. Which group
was the fourth?

10. Shot in the head in 1981, this White House press secretary
subsequently campaigned for gun control. An act of Congress
mandating background checks on gun purchasers bears his name.

* Game 1, Round 5 - Audio - TV Themes and Composers

Surprise! Here's an audio round that works without the audio.

In the original game, you would have heard a well-known TV theme
song; here, I'll just name the show instead. In each case, what
you have to name is the composer. Some are well-known beyond
their theme-song work, but others were studio staffers.

1. "The Big Bang Theory". Name the *band* that composed this theme.

2. "Jeopardy!". Originally composed as a lullaby for his son,
he used it later for the program that he executive-produced.

3. "Mission: Impossible". Name this busy TV theme composer,
also famous for "Hawaii 5-0".

4. "Peter Gunn". Name this famous theme writer.

5. "Sanford and Son". This 1970s sitcom theme was written for
the show by one of the most influential music producers of the
last 50 years.

6. "Star Trek" (the original series). No clue needed here.

7. "The Simpsons". This composer started with the band Oingo Boingo
in the late '70s and has garnered Emmy and Oscar nominations
for his work, particularly with Tim Burton.

8. "Welcome Back, Kotter". The name of the program was changed
to match the lyrics of this theme song written by a member of
a popular '60s band.

9. "Saturday Night Live" (the closing theme). More Canadians!
He was a member of the band Lighthouse in the late 1960s,
and more recently has won Academy Awards for his film scores.

10. "The Tonight Show" (the Johnny Carson version). Another
Canadian! He's famous for a number of golden oldies.

* Game 1, Round 6 - Sports - Things and Terms

We will give you first the name of a thing, and secondly the name
or descriptive term for an action or situation associated with a
sport, game, or pastime. You name that sport, game, or pastime.
Example: We say, "'Uprights'; 'Hail Mary pass'"; you say it's
Canadian (or American) football. Note, as in this case, that the
thing and the action are not necessarily related or occurring at
the same time; they are just terms from the same sport or pastime.

The thing will always come first.

1. "Biter stick"; "blank end".
2. "Trapper" or "catch glove"; "butterfly style".
3. "Cushion" or "rail"; "English".
4. "Mainstrings"; "deuce".
5. "Speed bag"; "peekaboo style".
6. "Poles"; "dig".
7. "Lob wedge"; "buried lie" or "fried egg".
8. "Spider" or "spider web"; "diddle for the middle" or "bull-off".
9. "Perimeter"; "pick and roll".
10. "Doughnut"; "brush-back".

--
Mark Brader, Toronto "The walls have hearsay."
m...@vex.net -- Fonseca & Carolino

Joshua Kreitzer

Nov 29, 2016, 12:50:06 AM11/29/16
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:a_WdnVS6Ep9WjaDFnZ2dnUU7-
W_N...@giganews.com:

> * Game 1, Round 4 - History - Pacifism and Non-Violence
>
> 1. Who advocated non-violent resistance to South African apartheid
> and was awarded the 1984 Nobel Peace Prize?

Desmond Tutu

> 2. Which Central American country has had no standing army since
> 1948 -- and is, in fact, constitutionally forbidden from
> having one?

Costa Rica

> 4. Woodrow Wilson was awarded the 1919 Nobel Peace Prize for his
> role in establishing what?

League of Nations

> 5. The word "conchie" was coined in the early 20th century.
> What does it mean?

conscientious objector

> 6. Which British philosopher was the first president of the Campaign
> for Nuclear Disarmament?

Bertrand Russell

> 8. On February 22, 1943, Nazi Germany guillotined three founding
> members of a non-violent resistance movement, including
> University of Munich student Sophie Scholl. Name the *movement*.

White Rose Movement

> 9. By the beginning of the 20th century, according to the "Canadian
> Encyclopedia", four Christian groups had received specific
> exemptions from military obligations. Three of these groups were
> the Quakers, the Mennonites, and the Hutterites. Which group
> was the fourth?

Amish

> 10. Shot in the head in 1981, this White House press secretary
> subsequently campaigned for gun control. An act of Congress
> mandating background checks on gun purchasers bears his name.

James Brady

> * Game 1, Round 5 - Audio - TV Themes and Composers
>
> In the original game, you would have heard a well-known TV theme
> song; here, I'll just name the show instead. In each case, what
> you have to name is the composer. Some are well-known beyond
> their theme-song work, but others were studio staffers.
>
> 1. "The Big Bang Theory". Name the *band* that composed this theme.

Barenaked Ladies

> 2. "Jeopardy!". Originally composed as a lullaby for his son,
> he used it later for the program that he executive-produced.

Merv Griffin

> 3. "Mission: Impossible". Name this busy TV theme composer,
> also famous for "Hawaii 5-0".

Lalo Schifrin (?)

> 4. "Peter Gunn". Name this famous theme writer.

Henry Mancini

> 5. "Sanford and Son". This 1970s sitcom theme was written for
> the show by one of the most influential music producers of the
> last 50 years.

Quincy Jones

> 6. "Star Trek" (the original series). No clue needed here.

Jerry Goldsmith (?)

> 7. "The Simpsons". This composer started with the band Oingo Boingo
> in the late '70s and has garnered Emmy and Oscar nominations
> for his work, particularly with Tim Burton.

Danny Elfman

> 8. "Welcome Back, Kotter". The name of the program was changed
> to match the lyrics of this theme song written by a member of
> a popular '60s band.

John Sebastian

> 9. "Saturday Night Live" (the closing theme). More Canadians!
> He was a member of the band Lighthouse in the late 1960s,
> and more recently has won Academy Awards for his film scores.

Howard Shore

> 10. "The Tonight Show" (the Johnny Carson version). Another
> Canadian! He's famous for a number of golden oldies.

Paul Anka

> * Game 1, Round 6 - Sports - Things and Terms
>
> We will give you first the name of a thing, and secondly the name
> or descriptive term for an action or situation associated with a
> sport, game, or pastime. You name that sport, game, or pastime.
>
> The thing will always come first.
>
> 3. "Cushion" or "rail"; "English".

billiards

> 4. "Mainstrings"; "deuce".

tennis

> 5. "Speed bag"; "peekaboo style".

boxing

> 7. "Lob wedge"; "buried lie" or "fried egg".

golf

> 9. "Perimeter"; "pick and roll".

basketball

> 10. "Doughnut"; "brush-back".

baseball

--
Joshua Kreitzer
grom...@hotmail.com

Dan Tilque

Nov 29, 2016, 2:22:31 AM11/29/16
Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 1, Round 4 - History - Pacifism and Non-Violence
>
> 1. Who advocated non-violent resistance to South African apartheid
> and was awarded the 1984 Nobel Peace Prize?

Mandela ??

> 2. Which Central American country has had no standing army since
> 1948 -- and is, in fact, constitutionally forbidden from
> having one?

Costa Rica

> 3. On April 6, 2008, the Dalai Lama wrote: "It is the legitimate
> right of every Tibetan to struggle for their freedoms and rights.
> On the other hand, it will be futile and not helpful to anyone
> if we do something that will create hatred in the minds of the
> Chinese people." *What event* was he urging his followers not
> to demonstrate against?
>
> 4. Woodrow Wilson was awarded the 1919 Nobel Peace Prize for his
> role in establishing what?

League of Nations

> 5. The word "conchie" was coined in the early 20th century.
> What does it mean?
>
> 6. Which British philosopher was the first president of the Campaign
> for Nuclear Disarmament?
>
> 7. The only vote in Parliament against Canada's entry into World
> War II was that of the CCF leader. Name that MP.
>
> 8. On February 22, 1943, Nazi Germany guillotined three founding
> members of a non-violent resistance movement, including
> University of Munich student Sophie Scholl. Name the *movement*.
>
> 9. By the beginning of the 20th century, according to the "Canadian
> Encyclopedia", four Christian groups had received specific
> exemptions from military obligations. Three of these groups were
> the Quakers, the Mennonites, and the Hutterites. Which group
> was the fourth?

Jehovah's Witnesses

> 10. Shot in the head in 1981, this White House press secretary
> subsequently campaigned for gun control. An act of Congress
> mandating background checks on gun purchasers bears his name.

Brady

> * Game 1, Round 5 - Audio - TV Themes and Composers
>
> Surprise! Here's an audio round that works without the audio.
>
> In the original game, you would have heard a well-known TV theme
> song; here, I'll just name the show instead. In each case, what
> you have to name is the composer. Some are well-known beyond
> their theme-song work, but others were studio staffers.
>
> 1. "The Big Bang Theory". Name the *band* that composed this theme.
>
> 2. "Jeopardy!". Originally composed as a lullaby for his son,
> he used it later for the program that he executive-produced.
>
> 3. "Mission: Impossible". Name this busy TV theme composer,
> also famous for "Hawaii 5-0".

Williams
hockey

> 3. "Cushion" or "rail"; "English".

pool

> 4. "Mainstrings"; "deuce".
> 5. "Speed bag"; "peekaboo style".
> 6. "Poles"; "dig".
> 7. "Lob wedge"; "buried lie" or "fried egg".

golf

> 8. "Spider" or "spider web"; "diddle for the middle" or "bull-off".

curling

> 9. "Perimeter"; "pick and roll".

basketball

> 10. "Doughnut"; "brush-back".

baseball

--
Dan Tilque

Dan Blum

Nov 29, 2016, 9:59:40 AM11/29/16
Mark Brader <m...@vex.net> wrote:

> * Game 1, Round 4 - History - Pacifism and Non-Violence

> 1. Who advocated non-violent resistance to South African apartheid
> and was awarded the 1984 Nobel Peace Prize?

Desmond Tutu

> 2. Which Central American country has had no standing army since
> 1948 -- and is, in fact, constitutionally forbidden from
> having one?

Costa Rica

> 4. Woodrow Wilson was awarded the 1919 Nobel Peace Prize for his
> role in establishing what?

League of Nations

> 6. Which British philosopher was the first president of the Campaign
> for Nuclear Disarmament?

Bertrand Russell

> 8. On February 22, 1943, Nazi Germany guillotined three founding
> members of a non-violent resistance movement, including
> University of Munich student Sophie Scholl. Name the *movement*.

White Rose

> 9. By the beginning of the 20th century, according to the "Canadian
> Encyclopedia", four Christian groups had received specific
> exemptions from military obligations. Three of these groups were
> the Quakers, the Mennonites, and the Hutterites. Which group
> was the fourth?

Amish; Jehovah's Witnesses

> 10. Shot in the head in 1981, this White House press secretary
> subsequently campaigned for gun control. An act of Congress
> mandating background checks on gun purchasers bears his name.

James Brady

> * Game 1, Round 5 - Audio - TV Themes and Composers

> 1. "The Big Bang Theory". Name the *band* that composed this theme.

Barenaked Ladies

> 2. "Jeopardy!". Originally composed as a lullaby for his son,
> he used it later for the program that he executive-produced.

Merv Griffin

> 3. "Mission: Impossible". Name this busy TV theme composer,
> also famous for "Hawaii 5-0".

Schifrin

> 5. "Sanford and Son". This 1970s sitcom theme was written for
> the show by one of the most influential music producers of the
> last 50 years.

Spector

> 6. "Star Trek" (the original series). No clue needed here.

Horner

> 7. "The Simpsons". This composer started with the band Oingo Boingo
> in the late '70s and has garnered Emmy and Oscar nominations
> for his work, particularly with Tim Burton.

Elfman

> * Game 1, Round 6 - Sports - Things and Terms

> 2. "Trapper" or "catch glove"; "butterfly style".

lacrosse

> 3. "Cushion" or "rail"; "English".

billiards

> 7. "Lob wedge"; "buried lie" or "fried egg".

golf

> 10. "Doughnut"; "brush-back".

baseball

Dan Blum to...@panix.com

bbowler

Nov 29, 2016, 10:28:40 AM11/29/16
On Mon, 28 Nov 2016 23:23:23 -0600, Mark Brader wrote:

> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2016-09-19, and
> should be interpreted accordingly.
>
> On each question you may give up to two answers, but if you give both a
> right answer and a wrong answer, there is a small penalty. Please post
> all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup, based only on
> your own knowledge. (In your answer posting, quote the questions and
> place your answer below each one.) I will reveal the correct answers in
> about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of the Misplaced Modifiers and are
> used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have been
> retyped and/or edited by me. For further information see my recent
> companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>

> * Game 1, Round 4 - History - Pacifism and Non-Violence
>
> 1. Who advocated non-violent resistance to South African apartheid
> and was awarded the 1984 Nobel Peace Prize?

Desmond Tutu

> 2. Which Central American country has had no standing army since
> 1948 -- and is, in fact, constitutionally forbidden from having one?

Costa Rica

> 3. On April 6, 2008, the Dalai Lama wrote: "It is the legitimate
> right of every Tibetan to struggle for their freedoms and rights.
> On the other hand, it will be futile and not helpful to anyone if we
> do something that will create hatred in the minds of the Chinese
> people." *What event* was he urging his followers not to demonstrate
> against?
>
> 4. Woodrow Wilson was awarded the 1919 Nobel Peace Prize for his
> role in establishing what?

League of Nations

> 5. The word "conchie" was coined in the early 20th century.
> What does it mean?
>
> 6. Which British philosopher was the first president of the Campaign
> for Nuclear Disarmament?
>
> 7. The only vote in Parliament against Canada's entry into World
> War II was that of the CCF leader. Name that MP.
>
> 8. On February 22, 1943, Nazi Germany guillotined three founding
> members of a non-violent resistance movement, including University of
> Munich student Sophie Scholl. Name the *movement*.
>
> 9. By the beginning of the 20th century, according to the "Canadian
> Encyclopedia", four Christian groups had received specific exemptions
> from military obligations. Three of these groups were the Quakers,
> the Mennonites, and the Hutterites. Which group was the fourth?

Amish

> 10. Shot in the head in 1981, this White House press secretary
> subsequently campaigned for gun control. An act of Congress
> mandating background checks on gun purchasers bears his name.

James Brady

> * Game 1, Round 5 - Audio - TV Themes and Composers
>
> Surprise! Here's an audio round that works without the audio.
>
> In the original game, you would have heard a well-known TV theme song;
> here, I'll just name the show instead. In each case, what you have to
> name is the composer. Some are well-known beyond their theme-song work,
> but others were studio staffers.
>
> 1. "The Big Bang Theory". Name the *band* that composed this theme.

Bare Naked Ladies

> 2. "Jeopardy!". Originally composed as a lullaby for his son,
> he used it later for the program that he executive-produced.

Merv Griffin

> 3. "Mission: Impossible". Name this busy TV theme composer,
> also famous for "Hawaii 5-0".

Do Ho

> 4. "Peter Gunn". Name this famous theme writer.

Mancini

> 5. "Sanford and Son". This 1970s sitcom theme was written for
> the show by one of the most influential music producers of the last
> 50 years.
>
> 6. "Star Trek" (the original series). No clue needed here.

Gene Roddenberry

> 7. "The Simpsons". This composer started with the band Oingo Boingo
> in the late '70s and has garnered Emmy and Oscar nominations for his
> work, particularly with Tim Burton.
>
> 8. "Welcome Back, Kotter". The name of the program was changed
> to match the lyrics of this theme song written by a member of a
> popular '60s band.

John Sebastian

> 9. "Saturday Night Live" (the closing theme). More Canadians!
> He was a member of the band Lighthouse in the late 1960s,
> and more recently has won Academy Awards for his film scores.
>
> 10. "The Tonight Show" (the Johnny Carson version). Another
> Canadian! He's famous for a number of golden oldies.
>

> * Game 1, Round 6 - Sports - Things and Terms
>
> We will give you first the name of a thing, and secondly the name or
> descriptive term for an action or situation associated with a sport,
> game, or pastime. You name that sport, game, or pastime. Example: We
> say, "'Uprights'; 'Hail Mary pass'"; you say it's Canadian (or American)
> football. Note, as in this case, that the thing and the action are not
> necessarily related or occurring at the same time; they are just terms
> from the same sport or pastime.
>
> The thing will always come first.
>
> 1. "Biter stick"; "blank end".

Curling

> 2. "Trapper" or "catch glove"; "butterfly style".
> 3. "Cushion" or "rail"; "English".

Billiards

> 4. "Mainstrings"; "deuce".

Tennis

> 5. "Speed bag"; "peekaboo style".

Boxing

> 6. "Poles"; "dig".

Volleyball

> 7. "Lob wedge"; "buried lie" or "fried egg".

Golf

> 8. "Spider" or "spider web"; "diddle for the middle" or "bull-off".

Darts

> 9. "Perimeter"; "pick and roll".

Basketball

> 10. "Doughnut"; "brush-back".

Baseball

Marc Dashevsky

Nov 29, 2016, 11:15:36 AM11/29/16
In article <a_WdnVS6Ep9WjaDF...@giganews.com>, m...@vex.net says...

> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2016-09-19,

> Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
> the correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of the Misplaced Modifiers
> and are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may
> have been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information
> see my recent companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>

> * Game 1, Round 4 - History - Pacifism and Non-Violence
>
> 1. Who advocated non-violent resistance to South African apartheid
> and was awarded the 1984 Nobel Peace Prize?
Desmond Tutu

> 2. Which Central American country has had no standing army since
> 1948 -- and is, in fact, constitutionally forbidden from
> having one?
Costa Rica

> 3. On April 6, 2008, the Dalai Lama wrote: "It is the legitimate
> right of every Tibetan to struggle for their freedoms and rights.
> On the other hand, it will be futile and not helpful to anyone
> if we do something that will create hatred in the minds of the
> Chinese people." *What event* was he urging his followers not
> to demonstrate against?
Summer Olympics

> 4. Woodrow Wilson was awarded the 1919 Nobel Peace Prize for his
> role in establishing what?
League of Nations

> 5. The word "conchie" was coined in the early 20th century.
> What does it mean?
conscientious objector

> 6. Which British philosopher was the first president of the Campaign
> for Nuclear Disarmament?
Bertrand Russell

> 7. The only vote in Parliament against Canada's entry into World
> War II was that of the CCF leader. Name that MP.
>
> 8. On February 22, 1943, Nazi Germany guillotined three founding
> members of a non-violent resistance movement, including
> University of Munich student Sophie Scholl. Name the *movement*.
>
> 9. By the beginning of the 20th century, according to the "Canadian
> Encyclopedia", four Christian groups had received specific
> exemptions from military obligations. Three of these groups were
> the Quakers, the Mennonites, and the Hutterites. Which group
> was the fourth?
Seventh Day Adventists

> 10. Shot in the head in 1981, this White House press secretary
> subsequently campaigned for gun control. An act of Congress
> mandating background checks on gun purchasers bears his name.
James Brady

> * Game 1, Round 5 - Audio - TV Themes and Composers
>
> Surprise! Here's an audio round that works without the audio.
>
> In the original game, you would have heard a well-known TV theme
> song; here, I'll just name the show instead. In each case, what
> you have to name is the composer. Some are well-known beyond
> their theme-song work, but others were studio staffers.
>
> 1. "The Big Bang Theory". Name the *band* that composed this theme.
>
> 2. "Jeopardy!". Originally composed as a lullaby for his son,
> he used it later for the program that he executive-produced.
Merv Griffin

> 3. "Mission: Impossible". Name this busy TV theme composer,
> also famous for "Hawaii 5-0".
Laslo Schiffrin

> 4. "Peter Gunn". Name this famous theme writer.
Henry Mancini

> 5. "Sanford and Son". This 1970s sitcom theme was written for
> the show by one of the most influential music producers of the
> last 50 years.
Quincy Jones

> 6. "Star Trek" (the original series). No clue needed here.
>
> 7. "The Simpsons". This composer started with the band Oingo Boingo
> in the late '70s and has garnered Emmy and Oscar nominations
> for his work, particularly with Tim Burton.
Elfman

> 8. "Welcome Back, Kotter". The name of the program was changed
> to match the lyrics of this theme song written by a member of
> a popular '60s band.
John Sebastian

> 9. "Saturday Night Live" (the closing theme). More Canadians!
> He was a member of the band Lighthouse in the late 1960s,
> and more recently has won Academy Awards for his film scores.
>
> 10. "The Tonight Show" (the Johnny Carson version). Another
> Canadian! He's famous for a number of golden oldies.
Paul Anka

> * Game 1, Round 6 - Sports - Things and Terms
>
> We will give you first the name of a thing, and secondly the name
> or descriptive term for an action or situation associated with a
> sport, game, or pastime. You name that sport, game, or pastime.
> Example: We say, "'Uprights'; 'Hail Mary pass'"; you say it's
> Canadian (or American) football. Note, as in this case, that the
> thing and the action are not necessarily related or occurring at
> the same time; they are just terms from the same sport or pastime.
>
> The thing will always come first.
>
> 1. "Biter stick"; "blank end".
> 2. "Trapper" or "catch glove"; "butterfly style".
hockey

> 3. "Cushion" or "rail"; "English".
pool

> 4. "Mainstrings"; "deuce".
> 5. "Speed bag"; "peekaboo style".
boxing

> 6. "Poles"; "dig".
> 7. "Lob wedge"; "buried lie" or "fried egg".
golf

> 8. "Spider" or "spider web"; "diddle for the middle" or "bull-off".
> 9. "Perimeter"; "pick and roll".
basketball

> 10. "Doughnut"; "brush-back".
baseball

Peter Smyth

Nov 29, 2016, 11:44:08 AM11/29/16
Mark Brader wrote:

> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2016-09-19,

> Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
> the correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of the Misplaced Modifiers
> and are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may
> have been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information
> see my recent companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>

> * Game 1, Round 4 - History - Pacifism and Non-Violence
>
> 1. Who advocated non-violent resistance to South African apartheid
> and was awarded the 1984 Nobel Peace Prize?
Bika? (I'm sure Mandela was later)
> 2. Which Central American country has had no standing army since
> 1948 -- and is, in fact, constitutionally forbidden from
> having one?
Belize, Costa Rica
> 3. On April 6, 2008, the Dalai Lama wrote: "It is the legitimate
> right of every Tibetan to struggle for their freedoms and rights.
> On the other hand, it will be futile and not helpful to anyone
> if we do something that will create hatred in the minds of the
> Chinese people." *What event* was he urging his followers not
> to demonstrate against?
Beijing Olympics
> 4. Woodrow Wilson was awarded the 1919 Nobel Peace Prize for his
> role in establishing what?
League of Nations
> 5. The word "conchie" was coined in the early 20th century.
> What does it mean?
Conscientious Objector
> 6. Which British philosopher was the first president of the Campaign
> for Nuclear Disarmament?
Russell
> 7. The only vote in Parliament against Canada's entry into World
> War II was that of the CCF leader. Name that MP.
>
> 8. On February 22, 1943, Nazi Germany guillotined three founding
> members of a non-violent resistance movement, including
> University of Munich student Sophie Scholl. Name the movement.
>
> 9. By the beginning of the 20th century, according to the "Canadian
> Encyclopedia", four Christian groups had received specific
> exemptions from military obligations. Three of these groups were
> the Quakers, the Mennonites, and the Hutterites. Which group
> was the fourth?
Amish
> 10. Shot in the head in 1981, this White House press secretary
> subsequently campaigned for gun control. An act of Congress
> mandating background checks on gun purchasers bears his name.
Baker

> * Game 1, Round 5 - Audio - TV Themes and Composers
>
> Surprise! Here's an audio round that works without the audio.
>
> In the original game, you would have heard a well-known TV theme
> song; here, I'll just name the show instead. In each case, what
> you have to name is the composer. Some are well-known beyond
> their theme-song work, but others were studio staffers.
>
> 1. "The Big Bang Theory". Name the band that composed this theme.
Barenaked Ladies

> * Game 1, Round 6 - Sports - Things and Terms
>
> We will give you first the name of a thing, and secondly the name
> or descriptive term for an action or situation associated with a
> sport, game, or pastime. You name that sport, game, or pastime.
> Example: We say, "'Uprights'; 'Hail Mary pass'"; you say it's
> Canadian (or American) football. Note, as in this case, that the
> thing and the action are not necessarily related or occurring at
> the same time; they are just terms from the same sport or pastime.
>
> The thing will always come first.
>
> 1. "Biter stick"; "blank end".
Curling
> 2. "Trapper" or "catch glove"; "butterfly style".
Swimming, Baseball
> 3. "Cushion" or "rail"; "English".
Pool
> 4. "Mainstrings"; "deuce".
Tennis
> 5. "Speed bag"; "peekaboo style".
Boxing
> 6. "Poles"; "dig".
Skiing
> 7. "Lob wedge"; "buried lie" or "fried egg".
Golf
> 8. "Spider" or "spider web"; "diddle for the middle" or "bull-off".
Darts
> 9. "Perimeter"; "pick and roll".
Basketball
> 10. "Doughnut"; "brush-back".
Motor racing

Peter Smyth

swp

Nov 29, 2016, 1:43:54 PM11/29/16
On Tuesday, November 29, 2016 at 12:23:28 AM UTC-5, Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 1, Round 4 - History - Pacifism and Non-Violence
>
> 1. Who advocated non-violent resistance to South African apartheid
> and was awarded the 1984 Nobel Peace Prize?

nelson mandela

> 2. Which Central American country has had no standing army since
> 1948 -- and is, in fact, constitutionally forbidden from
> having one?

costa rica

> 3. On April 6, 2008, the Dalai Lama wrote: "It is the legitimate
> right of every Tibetan to struggle for their freedoms and rights.
> On the other hand, it will be futile and not helpful to anyone
> if we do something that will create hatred in the minds of the
> Chinese people." *What event* was he urging his followers not
> to demonstrate against?

the 2008 beijing olympics

> 4. Woodrow Wilson was awarded the 1919 Nobel Peace Prize for his
> role in establishing what?

the league of nations

> 5. The word "conchie" was coined in the early 20th century.
> What does it mean?

conscientious objector

> 6. Which British philosopher was the first president of the Campaign
> for Nuclear Disarmament?

bertrand russell

> 7. The only vote in Parliament against Canada's entry into World
> War II was that of the CCF leader. Name that MP.

wordsworth?

> 8. On February 22, 1943, Nazi Germany guillotined three founding
> members of a non-violent resistance movement, including
> University of Munich student Sophie Scholl. Name the *movement*.

white rose

> 9. By the beginning of the 20th century, according to the "Canadian
> Encyclopedia", four Christian groups had received specific
> exemptions from military obligations. Three of these groups were
> the Quakers, the Mennonites, and the Hutterites. Which group
> was the fourth?

dukhobors

> 10. Shot in the head in 1981, this White House press secretary
> subsequently campaigned for gun control. An act of Congress
> mandating background checks on gun purchasers bears his name.

brady

> * Game 1, Round 5 - Audio - TV Themes and Composers
>
> Surprise! Here's an audio round that works without the audio.
>
> In the original game, you would have heard a well-known TV theme
> song; here, I'll just name the show instead. In each case, what
> you have to name is the composer. Some are well-known beyond
> their theme-song work, but others were studio staffers.
>
> 1. "The Big Bang Theory". Name the *band* that composed this theme.

bare naked ladies

> 2. "Jeopardy!". Originally composed as a lullaby for his son,
> he used it later for the program that he executive-produced.

merv griffin

> 3. "Mission: Impossible". Name this busy TV theme composer,
> also famous for "Hawaii 5-0".

lalo schifrin

> 4. "Peter Gunn". Name this famous theme writer.

henry mancini

> 5. "Sanford and Son". This 1970s sitcom theme was written for
> the show by one of the most influential music producers of the
> last 50 years.

quincy jones

> 6. "Star Trek" (the original series). No clue needed here.

courage?

> 7. "The Simpsons". This composer started with the band Oingo Boingo
> in the late '70s and has garnered Emmy and Oscar nominations
> for his work, particularly with Tim Burton.

danny elfman (and was in one of the harry potter movies)

> 8. "Welcome Back, Kotter". The name of the program was changed
> to match the lyrics of this theme song written by a member of
> a popular '60s band.

john sebastian

> 9. "Saturday Night Live" (the closing theme). More Canadians!
> He was a member of the band Lighthouse in the late 1960s,
> and more recently has won Academy Awards for his film scores.

shore

> 10. "The Tonight Show" (the Johnny Carson version). Another
> Canadian! He's famous for a number of golden oldies.

paul anka

... I am disappointed that Barry Manilow's contributions to American Bandstand were not mentioned.

> * Game 1, Round 6 - Sports - Things and Terms
>
> We will give you first the name of a thing, and secondly the name
> or descriptive term for an action or situation associated with a
> sport, game, or pastime. You name that sport, game, or pastime.
> Example: We say, "'Uprights'; 'Hail Mary pass'"; you say it's
> Canadian (or American) football. Note, as in this case, that the
> thing and the action are not necessarily related or occurring at
> the same time; they are just terms from the same sport or pastime.
>
> The thing will always come first.
>
> 1. "Biter stick"; "blank end".

curling

> 2. "Trapper" or "catch glove"; "butterfly style".

hockey

> 3. "Cushion" or "rail"; "English".

billiards

> 4. "Mainstrings"; "deuce".

tennis

> 5. "Speed bag"; "peekaboo style".

boxing

> 6. "Poles"; "dig".

downhill skiing

> 7. "Lob wedge"; "buried lie" or "fried egg".

golf

> 8. "Spider" or "spider web"; "diddle for the middle" or "bull-off".

darts (imagine that, a question about darts in a pub!)

> 9. "Perimeter"; "pick and roll".

basketball

> 10. "Doughnut"; "brush-back".

baseball

swp

Erland Sommarskog

Nov 29, 2016, 3:14:09 PM11/29/16
Mark Brader (m...@vex.net) writes:
> * Game 1, Round 4 - History - Pacifism and Non-Violence
>
> 1. Who advocated non-violent resistance to South African apartheid
> and was awarded the 1984 Nobel Peace Prize?

Desmond Tutu

> 2. Which Central American country has had no standing army since
> 1948 -- and is, in fact, constitutionally forbidden from
> having one?

Costa Rica

> 4. Woodrow Wilson was awarded the 1919 Nobel Peace Prize for his
> role in establishing what?

League of Nations

> 6. Which British philosopher was the first president of the Campaign
> for Nuclear Disarmament?

Bertrand Russell

> * Game 1, Round 5 - Audio - TV Themes and Composers
>
> Surprise! Here's an audio round that works without the audio.
>
> In the original game, you would have heard a well-known TV theme
> song;

Ehum, I don't think it works for me. With or without audio.

> * Game 1, Round 6 - Sports - Things and Terms
>
> 2. "Trapper" or "catch glove"; "butterfly style".

Swimming

> 4. "Mainstrings"; "deuce".

Tennis

Pete

Nov 29, 2016, 4:43:52 PM11/29/16
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:a_WdnVS6Ep9WjaDFnZ2dnUU7-
W_N...@giganews.com:

> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2016-09-19,

> Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
> the correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of the Misplaced Modifiers
> and are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may
> have been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information
> see my recent companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>

> * Game 1, Round 4 - History - Pacifism and Non-Violence
>
> 1. Who advocated non-violent resistance to South African apartheid
> and was awarded the 1984 Nobel Peace Prize?

Tutu

> 2. Which Central American country has had no standing army since
> 1948 -- and is, in fact, constitutionally forbidden from
> having one?
>
> 3. On April 6, 2008, the Dalai Lama wrote: "It is the legitimate
> right of every Tibetan to struggle for their freedoms and rights.
> On the other hand, it will be futile and not helpful to anyone
> if we do something that will create hatred in the minds of the
> Chinese people." *What event* was he urging his followers not
> to demonstrate against?

2008 Beijing Olympics

> 4. Woodrow Wilson was awarded the 1919 Nobel Peace Prize for his
> role in establishing what?

The League of Nations

> 5. The word "conchie" was coined in the early 20th century.
> What does it mean?
>
> 6. Which British philosopher was the first president of the Campaign
> for Nuclear Disarmament?
>
> 7. The only vote in Parliament against Canada's entry into World
> War II was that of the CCF leader. Name that MP.
>
> 8. On February 22, 1943, Nazi Germany guillotined three founding
> members of a non-violent resistance movement, including
> University of Munich student Sophie Scholl. Name the *movement*.
>
> 9. By the beginning of the 20th century, according to the "Canadian
> Encyclopedia", four Christian groups had received specific
> exemptions from military obligations. Three of these groups were
> the Quakers, the Mennonites, and the Hutterites. Which group
> was the fourth?

Amish

> 10. Shot in the head in 1981, this White House press secretary
> subsequently campaigned for gun control. An act of Congress
> mandating background checks on gun purchasers bears his name.
>

> * Game 1, Round 5 - Audio - TV Themes and Composers
>
> Surprise! Here's an audio round that works without the audio.
>
> In the original game, you would have heard a well-known TV theme
> song; here, I'll just name the show instead. In each case, what
> you have to name is the composer. Some are well-known beyond
> their theme-song work, but others were studio staffers.
>
> 1. "The Big Bang Theory". Name the *band* that composed this theme.

Barenaked Ladies

> 2. "Jeopardy!". Originally composed as a lullaby for his son,
> he used it later for the program that he executive-produced.

Merv Griffin

> 3. "Mission: Impossible". Name this busy TV theme composer,
> also famous for "Hawaii 5-0".

Lalo Schifrin

> 4. "Peter Gunn". Name this famous theme writer.

Henry Mancini

> 5. "Sanford and Son". This 1970s sitcom theme was written for
> the show by one of the most influential music producers of the
> last 50 years.

Quincey Jones

> 6. "Star Trek" (the original series). No clue needed here.

Courage

> 7. "The Simpsons". This composer started with the band Oingo Boingo
> in the late '70s and has garnered Emmy and Oscar nominations
> for his work, particularly with Tim Burton.
>
> 8. "Welcome Back, Kotter". The name of the program was changed
> to match the lyrics of this theme song written by a member of
> a popular '60s band.

John Sebastian

> 9. "Saturday Night Live" (the closing theme). More Canadians!
> He was a member of the band Lighthouse in the late 1960s,
> and more recently has won Academy Awards for his film scores.

Sanborn

> 10. "The Tonight Show" (the Johnny Carson version). Another
> Canadian! He's famous for a number of golden oldies.

Paul Anka

> * Game 1, Round 6 - Sports - Things and Terms
>
> We will give you first the name of a thing, and secondly the name
> or descriptive term for an action or situation associated with a
> sport, game, or pastime. You name that sport, game, or pastime.
> Example: We say, "'Uprights'; 'Hail Mary pass'"; you say it's
> Canadian (or American) football. Note, as in this case, that the
> thing and the action are not necessarily related or occurring at
> the same time; they are just terms from the same sport or pastime.
>
> The thing will always come first.
>
> 1. "Biter stick"; "blank end".

Curling

> 2. "Trapper" or "catch glove"; "butterfly style".

Ice Hockey

> 3. "Cushion" or "rail"; "English".

Billiards

> 4. "Mainstrings"; "deuce".

Tennis

> 5. "Speed bag"; "peekaboo style".

Boxing

> 6. "Poles"; "dig".

Volleyball

> 7. "Lob wedge"; "buried lie" or "fried egg".

Golf

> 8. "Spider" or "spider web"; "diddle for the middle" or "bull-off".

Lacrosse

> 9. "Perimeter"; "pick and roll".

Basketball

> 10. "Doughnut"; "brush-back".

Baseball

Pete Gayde

Gareth Owen

Nov 29, 2016, 4:54:42 PM11/29/16
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) writes:

> 1. Who advocated non-violent resistance to South African apartheid
> and was awarded the 1984 Nobel Peace Prize?

Desmond Tutu

> 2. Which Central American country has had no standing army since
> 1948 -- and is, in fact, constitutionally forbidden from
> having one?

Belize

> 3. On April 6, 2008, the Dalai Lama wrote: "It is the legitimate
> right of every Tibetan to struggle for their freedoms and rights.
> On the other hand, it will be futile and not helpful to anyone
> if we do something that will create hatred in the minds of the
> Chinese people." *What event* was he urging his followers not
> to demonstrate against?

Annexation of Tibet by China

> 4. Woodrow Wilson was awarded the 1919 Nobel Peace Prize for his
> role in establishing what?

League of Nations

> 5. The word "conchie" was coined in the early 20th century.
> What does it mean?

Conscientious Objector

> 6. Which British philosopher was the first president of the Campaign
> for Nuclear Disarmament?

Russel

> 7. The only vote in Parliament against Canada's entry into World
> War II was that of the CCF leader. Name that MP.

> 8. On February 22, 1943, Nazi Germany guillotined three founding
> members of a non-violent resistance movement, including
> University of Munich student Sophie Scholl. Name the *movement*.

25th May

> 9. By the beginning of the 20th century, according to the "Canadian
> Encyclopedia", four Christian groups had received specific
> exemptions from military obligations. Three of these groups were
> the Quakers, the Mennonites, and the Hutterites. Which group
> was the fourth?

Amish

> 10. Shot in the head in 1981, this White House press secretary
> subsequently campaigned for gun control. An act of Congress
> mandating background checks on gun purchasers bears his name.

Brady

> * Game 1, Round 5 - Audio - TV Themes and Composers
>
> Surprise! Here's an audio round that works without the audio.
>
> In the original game, you would have heard a well-known TV theme
> song; here, I'll just name the show instead. In each case, what
> you have to name is the composer. Some are well-known beyond
> their theme-song work, but others were studio staffers.
>
> 1. "The Big Bang Theory". Name the *band* that composed this theme.

Barenaked Ladies

> 2. "Jeopardy!". Originally composed as a lullaby for his son,
> he used it later for the program that he executive-produced.
>
> 3. "Mission: Impossible". Name this busy TV theme composer,
> also famous for "Hawaii 5-0".

Lalo Schifri

> 4. "Peter Gunn". Name this famous theme writer.

Macnini

> 5. "Sanford and Son". This 1970s sitcom theme was written for
> the show by one of the most influential music producers of the
> last 50 years.

Quincy Jones

> 7. "The Simpsons". This composer started with the band Oingo Boingo
> in the late '70s and has garnered Emmy and Oscar nominations
> for his work, particularly with Tim Burton.

Danny Elfman

> * Game 1, Round 6 - Sports - Things and Terms
>
> We will give you first the name of a thing, and secondly the name
> or descriptive term for an action or situation associated with a
> sport, game, or pastime. You name that sport, game, or pastime.
> Example: We say, "'Uprights'; 'Hail Mary pass'"; you say it's
> Canadian (or American) football. Note, as in this case, that the
> thing and the action are not necessarily related or occurring at
> the same time; they are just terms from the same sport or pastime.
>
> The thing will always come first.
>
> 1. "Biter stick"; "blank end".

Curling; Bowls

> 2. "Trapper" or "catch glove"; "butterfly style".

Ice Hockey

> 3. "Cushion" or "rail"; "English".

Pool

> 4. "Mainstrings"; "deuce".

Tennis?

> 5. "Speed bag"; "peekaboo style".

Boxing

> 6. "Poles"; "dig".

Volleyball

> 7. "Lob wedge"; "buried lie" or "fried egg".

Golf

> 8. "Spider" or "spider web"; "diddle for the middle" or "bull-off".

Field Hockey

> 9. "Perimeter"; "pick and roll".

Calvin

Nov 29, 2016, 11:38:02 PM11/29/16
On Tuesday, November 29, 2016 at 3:23:28 PM UTC+10, Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 1, Round 4 - History - Pacifism and Non-Violence
>
> 1. Who advocated non-violent resistance to South African apartheid
> and was awarded the 1984 Nobel Peace Prize?

Tutu

> 2. Which Central American country has had no standing army since
> 1948 -- and is, in fact, constitutionally forbidden from
> having one?

Panama, Costa Rica

> 3. On April 6, 2008, the Dalai Lama wrote: "It is the legitimate
> right of every Tibetan to struggle for their freedoms and rights.
> On the other hand, it will be futile and not helpful to anyone
> if we do something that will create hatred in the minds of the
> Chinese people." *What event* was he urging his followers not
> to demonstrate against?

Beijing Olympics?

> 4. Woodrow Wilson was awarded the 1919 Nobel Peace Prize for his
> role in establishing what?

League of Nations

> 5. The word "conchie" was coined in the early 20th century.
> What does it mean?

Conscientious Objector

> 6. Which British philosopher was the first president of the Campaign
> for Nuclear Disarmament?

Russell
Mancini?

> 5. "Sanford and Son". This 1970s sitcom theme was written for
> the show by one of the most influential music producers of the
> last 50 years.
>
> 6. "Star Trek" (the original series). No clue needed here.
>
> 7. "The Simpsons". This composer started with the band Oingo Boingo
> in the late '70s and has garnered Emmy and Oscar nominations
> for his work, particularly with Tim Burton.

Elfman

> 8. "Welcome Back, Kotter". The name of the program was changed
> to match the lyrics of this theme song written by a member of
> a popular '60s band.
>
> 9. "Saturday Night Live" (the closing theme). More Canadians!
> He was a member of the band Lighthouse in the late 1960s,
> and more recently has won Academy Awards for his film scores.
>
> 10. "The Tonight Show" (the Johnny Carson version). Another
> Canadian! He's famous for a number of golden oldies.
>

> * Game 1, Round 6 - Sports - Things and Terms
>
> The thing will always come first.
>
> 1. "Biter stick"; "blank end".

Ice hockey?

> 2. "Trapper" or "catch glove"; "butterfly style".

Baseball, Swimming
Get the feeling I'm missing something here

> 3. "Cushion" or "rail"; "English".

Billiards

> 4. "Mainstrings"; "deuce".

Poker

> 5. "Speed bag"; "peekaboo style".

Boxing
"Speed ball" surely?

> 6. "Poles"; "dig".

Pole Vault

> 7. "Lob wedge"; "buried lie" or "fried egg".

Golf

> 8. "Spider" or "spider web"; "diddle for the middle" or "bull-off".

Field Hockey

> 9. "Perimeter"; "pick and roll".

Basketball

> 10. "Doughnut"; "brush-back".

Motor racing

cheers,
calvin

Björn Lundin

Nov 30, 2016, 3:43:14 AM11/30/16
On 2016-11-29 06:23, Mark Brader wrote:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2016-09-19,

> Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
> the correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of the Misplaced Modifiers
> and are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may
> have been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information
> see my recent companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>

> * Game 1, Round 4 - History - Pacifism and Non-Violence
>
> 1. Who advocated non-violent resistance to South African apartheid
> and was awarded the 1984 Nobel Peace Prize?

Desmond Tutu;Nelson Mandela

> 2. Which Central American country has had no standing army since
> 1948 -- and is, in fact, constitutionally forbidden from
> having one?

Costa Rica; Belize

> 3. On April 6, 2008, the Dalai Lama wrote: "It is the legitimate
> right of every Tibetan to struggle for their freedoms and rights.
> On the other hand, it will be futile and not helpful to anyone
> if we do something that will create hatred in the minds of the
> Chinese people." *What event* was he urging his followers not
> to demonstrate against?
>
> 4. Woodrow Wilson was awarded the 1919 Nobel Peace Prize for his
> role in establishing what?

League of Nations

> 5. The word "conchie" was coined in the early 20th century.
> What does it mean?
>
> 6. Which British philosopher was the first president of the Campaign
> for Nuclear Disarmament?
>
> 7. The only vote in Parliament against Canada's entry into World
> War II was that of the CCF leader. Name that MP.
>
> 8. On February 22, 1943, Nazi Germany guillotined three founding
> members of a non-violent resistance movement, including
> University of Munich student Sophie Scholl. Name the *movement*.

Pink rose

> 9. By the beginning of the 20th century, according to the "Canadian
> Encyclopedia", four Christian groups had received specific
> exemptions from military obligations. Three of these groups were
> the Quakers, the Mennonites, and the Hutterites. Which group
> was the fourth?
>
> 10. Shot in the head in 1981, this White House press secretary
> subsequently campaigned for gun control. An act of Congress
> mandating background checks on gun purchasers bears his name.
>

> * Game 1, Round 5 - Audio - TV Themes and Composers
>

> * Game 1, Round 6 - Sports - Things and Terms
>
> We will give you first the name of a thing, and secondly the name
> or descriptive term for an action or situation associated with a
> sport, game, or pastime. You name that sport, game, or pastime.
> Example: We say, "'Uprights'; 'Hail Mary pass'"; you say it's
> Canadian (or American) football. Note, as in this case, that the
> thing and the action are not necessarily related or occurring at
> the same time; they are just terms from the same sport or pastime.
>
> The thing will always come first.
>
> 1. "Biter stick"; "blank end".
> 2. "Trapper" or "catch glove"; "butterfly style".
Swimming
> 3. "Cushion" or "rail"; "English".
> 4. "Mainstrings"; "deuce".
> 5. "Speed bag"; "peekaboo style".
> 6. "Poles"; "dig".
> 7. "Lob wedge"; "buried lie" or "fried egg".
> 8. "Spider" or "spider web"; "diddle for the middle" or "bull-off".
> 9. "Perimeter"; "pick and roll".
> 10. "Doughnut"; "brush-back".

Björn

Don Piven

Nov 30, 2016, 2:08:57 PM11/30/16
Ice hockey.

> 3. "Cushion" or "rail"; "English".

Billiards.

> 4. "Mainstrings"; "deuce".

Tennis.

> 5. "Speed bag"; "peekaboo style".

Boxing.

> 6. "Poles"; "dig".

Slalom skiing.

> 7. "Lob wedge"; "buried lie" or "fried egg".

Golf.

> 8. "Spider" or "spider web"; "diddle for the middle" or "bull-off".
> 9. "Perimeter"; "pick and roll".

Basketball.

> 10. "Doughnut"; "brush-back".

Auto racing.

Mark Brader

Dec 2, 2016, 1:07:06 AM12/2/16
Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2016-09-19,
> see my recent companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

> * Game 1, Round 4 - History - Pacifism and Non-Violence

> 1. Who advocated non-violent resistance to South African apartheid
> and was awarded the 1984 Nobel Peace Prize?

Desmond Tutu. 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, Bruce, Marc, Erland, Pete,
Gareth, and Calvin. 3 for Björn.

> 2. Which Central American country has had no standing army since
> 1948 -- and is, in fact, constitutionally forbidden from
> having one?

Costa Rica. 4 for Joshua, Dan Tilque, Dan Blum, Bruce, Marc,
Stephen, and Erland. 3 for Björn. 2 for Peter and Calvin.

> 3. On April 6, 2008, the Dalai Lama wrote: "It is the legitimate
> right of every Tibetan to struggle for their freedoms and rights.
> On the other hand, it will be futile and not helpful to anyone
> if we do something that will create hatred in the minds of the
> Chinese people." *What event* was he urging his followers not
> to demonstrate against?

The then-upcoming Olympics in Beijing. Since the date was in
the question, I decided to accept "summer Olympics", and not the
annexation of Tibet". 4 for Marc, Peter, Stephen, Pete, and Calvin.

> 4. Woodrow Wilson was awarded the 1919 Nobel Peace Prize for his
> role in establishing what?

The League of Nations. 4 for Joshua, Dan Tilque, Dan Blum, Bruce,
Marc, Peter, Stephen, Erland, Pete, Gareth, Calvin, and Björn.

> 5. The word "conchie" was coined in the early 20th century.
> What does it mean?

Conscientious objector. (That is, someone who on principle refused
to enter military service.) 4 for Joshua, Marc, Peter, Stephen,
Gareth, and Calvin.

> 6. Which British philosopher was the first president of the Campaign
> for Nuclear Disarmament?

Bertrand Russell. 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, Marc, Peter, Stephen,
Erland, Gareth, and Calvin.

> 7. The only vote in Parliament against Canada's entry into World
> War II was that of the CCF leader. Name that MP.

James Shaver Woodsworth. 3 for Stephen.

> 8. On February 22, 1943, Nazi Germany guillotined three founding
> members of a non-violent resistance movement, including
> University of Munich student Sophie Scholl. Name the *movement*.

Weiße (White) Rose. 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, and Stephen.

> 9. By the beginning of the 20th century, according to the "Canadian
> Encyclopedia", four Christian groups had received specific
> exemptions from military obligations. Three of these groups were
> the Quakers, the Mennonites, and the Hutterites. Which group
> was the fourth?

The Doukhobors. 4 for Stephen.

> 10. Shot in the head in 1981, this White House press secretary
> subsequently campaigned for gun control. An act of Congress
> mandating background checks on gun purchasers bears his name.

James Brady. 4 for Joshua, Dan Tilque, Dan Blum, Bruce, Marc,
Stephen, and Gareth.

> * Game 1, Round 5 - Audio - TV Themes and Composers

> Surprise! Here's an audio round that works without the audio.

> In the original game, you would have heard a well-known TV theme
> song; here, I'll just name the show instead. In each case, what
> you have to name is the composer. Some are well-known beyond
> their theme-song work, but others were studio staffers.

> 1. "The Big Bang Theory". Name the *band* that composed this theme.

Barenaked Ladies. 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, Bruce, Peter, Stephen,
Pete, and Gareth.

> 2. "Jeopardy!". Originally composed as a lullaby for his son,
> he used it later for the program that he executive-produced.

Merv Griffin. 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, Bruce, Marc, Stephen, and Pete.

> 3. "Mission: Impossible". Name this busy TV theme composer,
> also famous for "Hawaii 5-0".

Lalo Schifrin. 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, Stephen, and Pete. 3 for Marc
and Gareth.

> 4. "Peter Gunn". Name this famous theme writer.

Henry Mancini. 4 for Joshua, Bruce, Marc, Stephen, Pete, Garteh,
and Calvin.

> 5. "Sanford and Son". This 1970s sitcom theme was written for
> the show by one of the most influential music producers of the
> last 50 years.

Quincy Jones. 4 for Joshua, Marc, Stephen, Pete, and Gareth.

> 6. "Star Trek" (the original series). No clue needed here.

Alexander Courage. 4 for Stephen and Pete.

> 7. "The Simpsons". This composer started with the band Oingo Boingo
> in the late '70s and has garnered Emmy and Oscar nominations
> for his work, particularly with Tim Burton.

Danny Elfman. 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, Marc, Stephen, Gareth,
and Calvin.

> 8. "Welcome Back, Kotter". The name of the program was changed
> to match the lyrics of this theme song written by a member of
> a popular '60s band.

John Sebastian. 4 for Joshua, Bruce, Marc, Stephen, and Pete.

> 9. "Saturday Night Live" (the closing theme). More Canadians!
> He was a member of the band Lighthouse in the late 1960s,
> and more recently has won Academy Awards for his film scores.

Howard Shore. 4 for Joshua and Stephen.

> 10. "The Tonight Show" (the Johnny Carson version). Another
> Canadian! He's famous for a number of golden oldies.

Paul Anka. 4 for Joshua, Marc, Stephen, and Pete.

> * Game 1, Round 6 - Sports - Things and Terms

> We will give you first the name of a thing, and secondly the name
> or descriptive term for an action or situation associated with a
> sport, game, or pastime. You name that sport, game, or pastime.
> Example: We say, "'Uprights'; 'Hail Mary pass'"; you say it's
> Canadian (or American) football. Note, as in this case, that the
> thing and the action are not necessarily related or occurring at
> the same time; they are just terms from the same sport or pastime.

> The thing will always come first.

> 1. "Biter stick"; "blank end".

Curling. 4 for Bruce, Peter, Stephen, and Pete. 3 for Gareth.

The device for measuring which stone is closest to the button;
an end where no points are scored.

> 2. "Trapper" or "catch glove"; "butterfly style".

Hockey. 4 for Dan Tilque, Marc, Stephen, Pete, Gareth, and Don.

A goalie's glove; the goalie's action of dropping to the knees and
spreading the blocking pads to stop a shot.

> 3. "Cushion" or "rail"; "English".

Billiards (or pool, etc.). 4 for Joshua, Dan Tilque, Dan Blum,
Bruce, Marc, Peter, Stephen, Pete, Gareth, Calvin, and Don.

The sides of the table that the ball bounces off; a type of spin
put on the cue ball.

> 4. "Mainstrings"; "deuce".

Tennis. 4 for Joshua, Bruce, Peter, Stephen, Erland, Pete, Gareth,
and Don.

The lengthwise strings on a tennis racket; a score of, as they say,
40-40.

> 5. "Speed bag"; "peekaboo style".

Boxing. 4 for Joshua, Bruce, Marc, Peter, Stephen, Pete, Gareth,
Calvin, and Don.

A small air-filled bag used during training; a stance with both
gloves in front of the face.

> 6. "Poles"; "dig".

Volleyball. (Not skiing.) 4 for Bruce, Pete, and Gareth.

The two poles that hold up the net; the action of preventing a spiked
ball from hitting the floor.

> 7. "Lob wedge"; "buried lie" or "fried egg".

Golf. 4 for Joshua, Dan Tilque, Dan Blum, Bruce, Marc, Peter,
Stephen, Pete, Gareth, Calvin, and Don.

A type of golf club; a ball that's half-buried in sand.

> 8. "Spider" or "spider web"; "diddle for the middle" or "bull-off".

Darts. 4 for Bruce, Peter, and Stephen.

The wire frame that covers the dartboard; throwing a single dart
each to determine who throws first in the game.

> 9. "Perimeter"; "pick and roll".

Basketball. 4 for Joshua, Dan Tilque, Bruce, Marc, Peter, Stephen,
Pete, Gareth, Calvin, and Don.

The area on the court just inside the 3-point line; a 2-person
offensive screening maneuver.

> 10. "Doughnut"; "brush-back".

Baseball. 4 for Joshua, Dan Tilque, Dan Blum, Bruce, Marc, Stephen,
Pete, and Gareth.

A weight placed on a baseball bat for practice swings; a pitch
intentionally thrown near the batter's head by way of intimidation.

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAME 1 ROUNDS-> 2 3 4 4 6 BEST
TOPICS-> Ent Can His Aud Spo THREE
Stephen Perry -- -- 35 40 36 111
Joshua Kreitzer 40 7 28 36 24 104
Pete Gayde 24 4 12 32 36 92
Marc Dashevsky 32 0 28 27 24 87
Gareth Owen 32 0 20 19 35 87
Dan Blum 32 0 24 16 12 72
Bruce Bowler -- -- 16 16 36 68
"Calvin" 12 0 22 8 16 50
Peter Smyth -- -- 18 4 28 50
Dan Tilque 12 0 12 0 20 44
Don Piven -- -- 0 0 24 24
Erland Sommarskog -- -- 16 0 4 20
Björn Lundin 0 0 10 0 0 10

--
Mark Brader, Toronto "Unjutsly malinged? I think not."
m...@vex.net -- Ross Howard

Joshua Kreitzer

Dec 7, 2016, 11:54:55 PM12/7/16
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:ibadne69EIsYktzFnZ2dnUU7-
bHN...@giganews.com:

>> In the original game, you would have heard a well-known TV theme
>> song; here, I'll just name the show instead. In each case, what
>> you have to name is the composer. Some are well-known beyond
>> their theme-song work, but others were studio staffers.
>
>> 3. "Mission: Impossible". Name this busy TV theme composer,
>> also famous for "Hawaii 5-0".
>
> Lalo Schifrin. 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, Stephen, and Pete. 3 for Marc
> and Gareth.

As far as I can find, the theme from "Hawaii Five-O" was written by Morton
Stevens. I haven't found anything about Lalo Schifrin writing music for
that show.

--
Joshua Kreitzer
grom...@hotmail.com

Mark Brader

Dec 8, 2016, 1:00:56 AM12/8/16
Mark Brader:
>>> 3. "Mission: Impossible". Name this busy TV theme composer,
>>> also famous for "Hawaii 5-0".
>>
>> Lalo Schifrin. 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, Stephen, and Pete. 3 for Marc
>> and Gareth.

Joshua Kreitzer:
> As far as I can find, the theme from "Hawaii Five-O" was written by Morton
> Stevens. I haven't found anything about Lalo Schifrin writing music for
> that show.

I do find one web site that supports the claim:

http://www.episodeworld.com/show/Hawaii_Five-O

but, still, it seems clear enough that it's wrong. Sorry about that, Chief.
--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "You often seem quite gracious, in your way."
m...@vex.net | --Steve Summit