Grupos de Google ya no admite nuevas publicaciones ni suscripciones de Usenet. El contenido anterior sigue siendo visible.

Calvin's Quiz #367

Visto 14 veces
Saltar al primer mensaje no leído

Calvin

no leída,
1 dic 2014, 5:03:281/12/14
1 How many lines does a sonnet contain?
2 What is the smallest constellation?
3 In 1893 which country became the first to give all women the right to vote?
4 Which author wrote A Tale of Two Cities?
5 Which present-day European country was known to the Romans as Helvetia?
6 In classical music a piano trio is a chamber ensemble consisting of a piano, a violin and which other musical instrument?
7 In which 1959 film starring Peter Sellars did the fictional Duchy of Grand Fenwick declare war on the USA?
8 What is the topmost colour of a rainbow?
9 Which river flows through Washington DC?
10 The Battle of Appomattox Court House was one of the final battles in which war?

cheers,
Calvin

Erland Sommarskog

no leída,
1 dic 2014, 5:26:361/12/14
Calvin (334...@gmail.com) writes:
> 1 How many lines does a sonnet contain?

Six

> 2 What is the smallest constellation?

Ursa Minor

> 3 In 1893 which country became the first to give all women the right
> to vote?

New Zealand

> 4 Which author wrote A Tale of Two Cities?

Dickens

> 5 Which present-day European country was known to the Romans as
> Helvetia?

Switzerland

> 6 In classical music a piano trio is a chamber ensemble consisting
> of a piano, a violin and which other musical instrument?

Violincello

> 8 What is the topmost colour of a rainbow?

Red - for the main rainbow. For the secondary it is violet. For the
tertiary it is again red and so forth.

> 9 Which river flows through Washington DC?

Potomac

> 10 The Battle of Appomattox Court House was one of the final battles
> in which war?

US Civil War

Chris F.A. Johnson

no leída,
1 dic 2014, 6:08:001/12/14
On 2014-12-01, Calvin wrote:
> 1 How many lines does a sonnet contain?

14

> 2 What is the smallest constellation?

Southern Cross

> 3 In 1893 which country became the first to give all women the
> right to vote?

Switzerland

> 4 Which author wrote A Tale of Two Cities?

Dickens

> 5 Which present-day European country was known to the Romans as
> Helvetia?

Switzerland

> 6 In classical music a piano trio is a chamber ensemble consisting
> of a piano, a violin and which other musical instrument?

Cello, but it can also be many other combinations of instruments.

> 7 In which 1959 film starring Peter Sellars did the fictional
> Duchy of Grand Fenwick declare war on the USA?

The Mouse the Roared

> 8 What is the topmost colour of a rainbow?

Violet

> 9 Which river flows through Washington DC?

Potomac

> 10 The?Battle of Appomattox Court House was one of the final battles in which war?

Civil War

--
Chris F.A. Johnson

Björn Lundin

no leída,
1 dic 2014, 8:19:401/12/14
8

> 2 What is the smallest constellation?
aries

> 3 In 1893 which country became the first to give all women the right to vote?
New Zealand

> 4 Which author wrote A Tale of Two Cities?
Charles Dickens

> 5 Which present-day European country was known to the Romans as Helvetia?
Switzerland

> 6 In classical music a piano trio is a chamber ensemble consisting of a piano, a violin and which other musical instrument?
Cello

> 7 In which 1959 film starring Peter Sellars did the fictional Duchy of Grand Fenwick declare war on the USA?
The Pink Panter

> 8 What is the topmost colour of a rainbow?
Red

> 9 Which river flows through Washington DC?
The Potomac

> 10 The Battle of Appomattox Court House was one of the final battles in which war?
American-Mexican war

Björn

Marc Dashevsky

no leída,
1 dic 2014, 10:27:311/12/14
In article <7ab3d1c8-20c1-47a9...@googlegroups.com>, 334...@gmail.com says...

> 1 How many lines does a sonnet contain?
14

> 2 What is the smallest constellation?
Pleiades

> 3 In 1893 which country became the first to give all women the right to vote?
> 4 Which author wrote A Tale of Two Cities?
Dickens

> 5 Which present-day European country was known to the Romans as Helvetia?
Switzerland

> 6 In classical music a piano trio is a chamber ensemble consisting of a piano, a violin and which other musical instrument?
cello

> 7 In which 1959 film starring Peter Sellars did the fictional Duchy of Grand Fenwick declare war on the USA?
The Mouse That Roared

> 8 What is the topmost colour of a rainbow?
red

> 9 Which river flows through Washington DC?
Potomac

> 10 The Battle of Appomattox Court House was one of the final battles in which war?
U.S. Civil War

> cheers,
> Calvin

Peter Smyth

no leída,
1 dic 2014, 14:12:161/12/14
Calvin wrote:

> 1 How many lines does a sonnet contain?
8
> 2 What is the smallest constellation?
Southern Cross
> 3 In 1893 which country became the first to give all women the right
> to vote?
New Zealand
> 4 Which author wrote A Tale of Two Cities?
Charles Dickens
> 5 Which present-day European country was known to the Romans as
> Helvetia?
Switzerland
> 6 In classical music a piano trio is a chamber ensemble consisting of
> a piano, a violin and which other musical instrument?
Cello
> 7 In which 1959 film starring Peter Sellars did the fictional Duchy
> of Grand Fenwick declare war on the USA?
>
> 8 What is the topmost colour of a rainbow?
Red
> 9 Which river flows through Washington DC?
Potomac
> 10 The Battle of Appomattox Court House was one of the final battles
> in which war?
US Civil War

Peter Smyth

Bruce Bowler

no leída,
1 dic 2014, 15:50:531/12/14
On Mon, 01 Dec 2014 02:03:27 -0800, Calvin wrote:

> 1 How many lines does a sonnet contain?

14

> 2 What is the smallest constellation?

Southern Cross

> 3 In 1893 which country became the first to give all women the right
> to vote?

New Zealand

> 4 Which author wrote A Tale of Two Cities?

Dickens

> 5 Which present-day European country was known to the Romans as
> Helvetia?

Greece

> 6 In classical music a piano trio is a chamber ensemble consisting
> of a piano, a violin and which other musical instrument?

Cello?

> 7 In which 1959 film starring Peter Sellars did the fictional Duchy
> of Grand Fenwick declare war on the USA?

The Mouse that Roared

> 8 What is the topmost colour of a rainbow?

Red

> 9 Which river flows through Washington DC?

Potomac

> 10 The Battle of Appomattox Court House was one of the final battles
> in which war?

The US "civil" war

swp

no leída,
1 dic 2014, 22:10:561/12/14
On Monday, December 1, 2014 5:03:28 AM UTC-5, Calvin wrote:
> 1 How many lines does a sonnet contain?

14

> 2 What is the smallest constellation?

southern cross

> 3 In 1893 which country became the first to give all women the right to vote?

belgium

> 4 Which author wrote A Tale of Two Cities?

chuck dickens

> 5 Which present-day European country was known to the Romans as Helvetia?

switzerland

> 6 In classical music a piano trio is a chamber ensemble consisting of a piano, a violin and which other musical instrument?

cello

> 7 In which 1959 film starring Peter Sellars did the fictional Duchy of Grand Fenwick declare war on the USA?

the mouse that roared

> 8 What is the topmost colour of a rainbow?

red

> 9 Which river flows through Washington DC?

potomac (when you last asked, by anacostia is valid too)

> 10 The Battle of Appomattox Court House was one of the final battles in which war?

u.s. civil war

swp

Dan Tilque

no leída,
2 dic 2014, 0:05:442/12/14
Calvin wrote:
> 1 How many lines does a sonnet contain?

14

> 2 What is the smallest constellation?

Coma Berenices

> 3 In 1893 which country became the first to give all women the right to vote?

Australia

> 4 Which author wrote A Tale of Two Cities?

Dickens

> 5 Which present-day European country was known to the Romans as Helvetia?

Switzerland

> 6 In classical music a piano trio is a chamber ensemble consisting of a piano, a violin and which other musical instrument?

cello

> 7 In which 1959 film starring Peter Sellars did the fictional Duchy of Grand Fenwick declare war on the USA?

The Mouse that Roared

> 8 What is the topmost colour of a rainbow?

violet

> 9 Which river flows through Washington DC?

Potomac

> 10 The Battle of Appomattox Court House was one of the final battles in which war?

American Civil War

--
Dan Tilque

Pete

no leída,
4 dic 2014, 20:02:394/12/14
Calvin <334...@gmail.com> wrote in

7

> 2 What is the smallest constellation?

Milky Way

> 3 In 1893 which country became the first to give all women the
> right to vote?

Sweden

> 4 Which author wrote A Tale of Two Cities?

Dickens

> 5 Which present-day European country was known to the Romans as
> Helvetia?

Switzerland

> 6 In classical music a piano trio is a chamber ensemble
> consisting of a piano, a violin and which other musical instrument?

Cello

> 7 In which 1959 film starring Peter Sellars did the fictional
> Duchy of Grand Fenwick declare war on the USA?

The Mouse that Roared

> 8 What is the topmost colour of a rainbow?

Violet

> 9 Which river flows through Washington DC?

Potomac

> 10 The Battle of Appomattox Court House was one of
> the final battles in which war?

US Civil War

> cheers,
> Calvin

Pete

Calvin

no leída,
6 dic 2014, 23:36:526/12/14
On Monday, December 1, 2014 8:03:28 PM UTC+10, Calvin wrote:

> 1 How many lines does a sonnet contain?

14

> 2 What is the smallest constellation?

Crux / Southern Cross

> 3 In 1893 which country became the first to give all women the right to vote?

New Zealand

> 4 Which author wrote A Tale of Two Cities?

Charles Dickens

> 5 Which present-day European country was known to the Romans as Helvetia?

Switzerland

> 6 In classical music a piano trio is a chamber ensemble consisting of a piano, a violin and which other musical instrument?

Cello

> 7 In which 1959 film starring Peter Sellars did the fictional Duchy of Grand Fenwick declare war on the USA?

The Mouse That Roared

> 8 What is the topmost colour of a rainbow?

Red
They are often depicted the other way round for some reason

> 9 Which river flows through Washington DC?

Potomac

> 10 The Battle of Appomattox Court House was one of the final battles in which war?

US Civil War

Q1 Q2 Q3 Q4 Q5 Q6 Q7 Q8 Q9 Q10 TOTAL TB Quiz 367
1 1 1 1 0 1 1 1 1 1 9 60 Bruce Bowler
1 1 0 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 9 63 Stephen Perry
0 1 1 1 1 1 0 1 1 1 8 56 Peter Smyth
1 0 0 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 8 59 Marc Dashevsky
1 1 0 1 0 1 1 0 1 1 7 50 Chris Johnson
0 0 1 1 1 1 0 1 1 1 7 52 Erland S
1 0 0 1 1 1 1 0 1 1 7 53 Dan Tilque
0 0 1 1 1 1 0 1 1 0 6 44 Bjorn Lundin
0 0 0 1 1 1 1 0 1 1 6 48 0 Joshua Kreitzer
- - - - - - - - - - --- ----------
5 4 4 9 7 9 6 6 9 8 67 74%

Congratulations Bruce.

cheers,
calvin

Mark Brader

no leída,
8 dic 2014, 18:33:588/12/14
Late answers for fun. "Calvin":
> 1 How many lines does a sonnet contain?

14.

> 2 What is the smallest constellation?

Crux.

> 3 In 1893 which country became the first to give all women the right to vote?

New Zealand.

> 4 Which author wrote A Tale of Two Cities?

Dickens.

> 5 Which present-day European country was known to the Romans as Helvetia?

Polyglottia. :-)

> 6 In classical music a piano trio is a chamber ensemble consisting of a piano, a violin and which other musical instrument?

Flute.

> 7 In which 1959 film starring Peter Sellars did the fictional Duchy of Grand Fenwick declare war on the USA?

"The Mouse that Roared".

> 8 What is the topmost colour of a rainbow?

Red.

> 9 Which river flows through Washington DC?

The Anacostia.

(The Potomac flows along one edge of DC. Was it you who made the
same mistake in a previous quiz here?)

> 10 TheBattle of Appomattox Court House was one of the final battles in which war?

US Civil War.
--
Mark Brader, Toronto "Let us knot coin gnu werds huitch
m...@vex.net are spelld rong." -- Rik Fischer Smoody

Dan Tilque

no leída,
9 dic 2014, 0:37:369/12/14
Mark Brader wrote:

>> 9 Which river flows through Washington DC?
>
> The Anacostia.
>
> (The Potomac flows along one edge of DC.

The bulk of the Potomac flows between the DC shore and Columbia Island,
which despite being near the Virginia shore, is part of DC. There's just
the narrow Boundary Channel that separates the island from Virginia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Columbia_Island_(District_of_Columbia)

Not that this makes any difference. Even if the border went down the
main channel of the river (as is usual for river boundaries, but is not
the case for the Potomac), at least part of the river would be flowing
through DC. The fact that it's on the edge does not make it not part of
the District.

--
Dan Tilque

Mark Brader

no leída,
9 dic 2014, 8:07:089/12/14
"Calvin":
>>> 9 Which river flows through Washington DC?

Mark Brader:
>> The Anacostia.
>>
>> (The Potomac flows along one edge of DC.

Dan Tilque:
> The bulk of the Potomac flows between the DC shore and Columbia Island,
> which despite being near the Virginia shore, is part of DC...
> Not that this makes any difference... The fact that it's on the edge
> does not make it not part of the District.

*Part* of the Potomac flows through DC, but *all* of it does not.
Similarly, the Hudson River does not flow through New York City and
the Humber River did not flow through Toronto until 1998; only part
of each one does/did. Or so I say.
--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "So *you* say." --Toddy Beamish
m...@vex.net | (H.G. Wells, "The Man Who Could Work Miracles")

Erland Sommarskog

no leída,
9 dic 2014, 8:36:049/12/14
Mark Brader (m...@vex.net) writes:
> *Part* of the Potomac flows through DC, but *all* of it does not.
> Similarly, the Hudson River does not flow through New York City and
> the Humber River did not flow through Toronto until 1998; only part
> of each one does/did. Or so I say.

There are not very many rivers that in their entirety flows through a city.
Although, we do one have here in Stockholm.

Dan Tilque

no leída,
9 dic 2014, 11:56:479/12/14
Mark Brader wrote:
> "Calvin":
>
> Mark Brader:
>>> The Anacostia.
>>>
>>> (The Potomac flows along one edge of DC.
>
> Dan Tilque:
>> The bulk of the Potomac flows between the DC shore and Columbia Island,
>> which despite being near the Virginia shore, is part of DC...
>> Not that this makes any difference... The fact that it's on the edge
>> does not make it not part of the District.
>
> *Part* of the Potomac flows through DC, but *all* of it does not.
> Similarly, the Hudson River does not flow through New York City and
> the Humber River did not flow through Toronto until 1998; only part
> of each one does/did. Or so I say.

Sorry, still wrong. The Maryland and DC border with Virginia is unusual
for river borders. Instead of being through the middle of the river
(usually following the main channel) it lies along the Virginia bank of
the river. So the entire river is in Maryland and DC. Even that Boundary
Channel I mentioned previously is in DC.

This peculiariy goes back to the royal charter Charles I gave to the
Calverts.

--
Dan Tilque

Mark Brader

no leída,
9 dic 2014, 14:23:049/12/14
Dan Tilque:
> Sorry, still wrong. The Maryland and DC border with Virginia is unusual
> for river borders. Instead of being through the middle of the river
> (usually following the main channel) it lies along the Virginia bank of
> the river. So the entire river is in Maryland and DC. Even that Boundary
> Channel I mentioned previously is in DC.

Well, you might have mentioned *that* previously, instead of implying the
contrary! In that case I concede the point. Both the Potomac and the
Anacostia flow through Washington.

--
Mark Brader | Are governments capable of evil? Yes, of course they are.
Toronto | All institutions are. But they're MORE capable of incompetence.

Dan Tilque

no leída,
10 dic 2014, 2:48:5610/12/14
Mark Brader wrote:
> Dan Tilque:
>> Sorry, still wrong. The Maryland and DC border with Virginia is unusual
>> for river borders. Instead of being through the middle of the river
>> (usually following the main channel) it lies along the Virginia bank of
>> the river. So the entire river is in Maryland and DC. Even that Boundary
>> Channel I mentioned previously is in DC.
>
> Well, you might have mentioned *that* previously, instead of implying the
> contrary!

It's irrelevant. As long as some of the river flows through the
district, it's valid to say that the river flows through it. Only a
hyper-anal-retentive would say otherwise.

--
Dan Tilque

Mark Brader

no leída,
10 dic 2014, 11:09:3410/12/14
Dan Tilque:
> Only a hyper-anal-retentive would say otherwise.

And yet you say that as if it's a *bad* thing.
--
Mark Brader, Toronto "Asps. Very dangerous. You go first."
m...@vex.net -- Raiders of the Lost Ark