QFTCIWSS Game 9, Rounds 9-10: car logos, W(h)ales

Mark Brader

Nov 23, 2018, 2:32:51 PM11/23/18
These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2018-07-23,
and should be interpreted accordingly.

Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
the correct answers in about 4 days.

All questions were written by members of What She Said and are
used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have
been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information see
my 2018-07-16 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

** Game 9, Round 9 - Miscellaneous - Automotive Logos

Automakers from around the world pride themselves on distinct
logos, which become the badges that decorate their cars. Please
see 24 of them on the handout at:

http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/9-9/cars.jpg

For questions #1-4, we'll give you a number and the brand's country
of origin: you name the brand.

1. #11 (Japan).
2. #18 (United States).
3. #20 (England).
4. #14 (Italy).

For #5-10, we name the brand and you give the logo number.

5. Mitsubishi.
6. Maserati.
7. Infiniti.
8. Cadillac.
9. Peugeot.
10. Opel.

And if you like, decode the rot13 to see the brands of the 14 decoys
and pick out their logos for fun, but for no points.

11. Znlonpu.
12. Pvgebra.
13. Ibyxfjntra.
14. Yrkhf.
15. Eranhyg.
16. Grfyn.
17. Nphen.
18. Gngn.
19. Zreprqrf.
20. Qnrjbb.
21. Ohtnggv.
22. Sreenev.
23. Znmqn.
24. Ulhaqnv.

** Game 9, Round 10 - Challenge - W(h)ales

When we were coming up with ideas for challenge rounds, we realized
that we like whales, but then we realized that we also like Wales.
In the spirit of compromise, every category in this round has one
question about whales, and one question about Wales.

* A. Literature: Tales of W(h)ales

A1. What is the name of Captain Ahab's ship in "Moby-Dick"?

A2. "A Child's Christmas in Wales" was written by which famed
Welsh writer and poet?

* B. Entertainment: W(h)ales on Screen

B1. Ron Howard directed this 2015 movie starring Chris
Hemsworth, about the true-life events which inspired
the novel "Moby-Dick". Name the movie.

B2. Which 2014 movie about gay activists helping Welsh miners
during the British miners' strikes in 1984 is currently
being adapted into a stage musical?

* C. Geography: Where we Find W(h)ales

C1. Wales is bordered on the south by which body of water,
which extends outward from the Severn estuary?

C2. Although many different whales spend part of their year in
the Canadian Arctic, three species in particular are
concentrated there as their primary habitat. Name *any
one* of them.

* D. Miscellaneous: Products of W(h)ales

D1. Although the steel industry in Wales has gradually shrunk
over the years, it is still the UK's primary producer of
two *other* types of metal commonly used in manufacturing.
Name *either*.

D2. Which substance, found in the intestines of sperm whales,
was once prized by perfume-makers?

* E. History: Conquering W(h)ales

E1. Sperm whales were the most famous target of American whalers,
but they only begun hunting sperm whales after exhausting
the Atlantic populations of two other species of whale.
Name *either*.

E2. After several military campaigns, which English king
(nicknamed "Longshanks"), finally conquered Wales once and
for all in 1283? Give his name and number, if applicable.

* F. Sports: W(h)ales in Sports

F1. One Welsh team currently plays in the Premier League,
the topmost league of English soccer. Name that team.

F2. The Hartford Whalers moved from Hartford to a new city
in 1997. What is the team called now? Full name required,
like "Toronto Argonauts".

--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "[I] have a will of iron."
m...@vex.net | "And a head to match." --Robert B. Parker, "Chance"

Erland Sommarskog

Nov 23, 2018, 3:48:55 PM11/23/18
Mark Brader (m...@vex.net) writes:
> 1. #11 (Japan).

Toyota

> 3. #20 (England).

Austin Martin

> 4. #14 (Italy).

Fiat

> For #5-10, we name the brand and you give the logo number.
>
> 5. Mitsubishi.

> 6. Maserati.

13

8

> 8. Cadillac.

23

> 9. Peugeot.

16

8

> And if you like, decode the rot13 to see the brands of the 14 decoys
> and pick out their logos for fun, but for no points.
>
> 13. Ibyxfjntra.

21

3

2

9

> ** Game 9, Round 10 - Challenge - W(h)ales
>
> * F. Sports: W(h)ales in Sports
>
> F1. One Welsh team currently plays in the Premier League,
> the topmost league of English soccer. Name that team.

Swansea

> F2. The Hartford Whalers moved from Hartford to a new city
> in 1997. What is the team called now? Full name required,
> like "Toronto Argonauts".

Calgary Flames

Mark Brader

Nov 23, 2018, 6:25:44 PM11/23/18
Mark Brader:
> > 3. #20 (England).

Erland Sommarskog:
> Austin Martin

Cute try, but it's neither Austin nor Aston Martin.
--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "Any story that needs a critic to explain it,
m...@vex.net | needs rewriting." -- Larry Niven

Joshua Kreitzer

Nov 23, 2018, 10:54:36 PM11/23/18
On Friday, November 23, 2018 at 2:32:51 PM UTC-5, Mark Brader wrote:

> ** Game 9, Round 9 - Miscellaneous - Automotive Logos
>
> Automakers from around the world pride themselves on distinct
> logos, which become the badges that decorate their cars. Please
> see 24 of them on the handout at:
>
> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/9-9/cars.jpg
>
> For questions #1-4, we'll give you a number and the brand's country
> of origin: you name the brand.
>
> 1. #11 (Japan).

Subaru

> 2. #18 (United States).

Buick

> 3. #20 (England).

Vauxhall (?)

> For #5-10, we name the brand and you give the logo number.
>
> 5. Mitsubishi.

> 6. Maserati.

> 7. Infiniti.

> 8. Cadillac.

> 9. Peugeot.

> 10. Opel.

> And if you like, decode the rot13 to see the brands of the 14 decoys
> and pick out their logos for fun, but for no points.
>
> 13. Ibyxfjntra.

> 14. Yrkhf.

> 19. Zreprqrf.

> ** Game 9, Round 10 - Challenge - W(h)ales
>
> When we were coming up with ideas for challenge rounds, we realized
> that we like whales, but then we realized that we also like Wales.
> In the spirit of compromise, every category in this round has one
> question about whales, and one question about Wales.
>
> * A. Literature: Tales of W(h)ales
>
> A1. What is the name of Captain Ahab's ship in "Moby-Dick"?

Pequod

> A2. "A Child's Christmas in Wales" was written by which famed
> Welsh writer and poet?

Dylan Thomas

> * B. Entertainment: W(h)ales on Screen
>
> B1. Ron Howard directed this 2015 movie starring Chris
> Hemsworth, about the true-life events which inspired
> the novel "Moby-Dick". Name the movie.

"From the Heart of the Sea"

> B2. Which 2014 movie about gay activists helping Welsh miners
> during the British miners' strikes in 1984 is currently
> being adapted into a stage musical?

"Pride"

> * D. Miscellaneous: Products of W(h)ales
>
> D1. Although the steel industry in Wales has gradually shrunk
> over the years, it is still the UK's primary producer of
> two *other* types of metal commonly used in manufacturing.
> Name *either*.

tin

> D2. Which substance, found in the intestines of sperm whales,
> was once prized by perfume-makers?

ambergris

> * E. History: Conquering W(h)ales
>
> E2. After several military campaigns, which English king
> (nicknamed "Longshanks"), finally conquered Wales once and
> for all in 1283? Give his name and number, if applicable.

Edward II

> * F. Sports: W(h)ales in Sports
>
> F1. One Welsh team currently plays in the Premier League,
> the topmost league of English soccer. Name that team.

Cardiff City

> F2. The Hartford Whalers moved from Hartford to a new city
> in 1997. What is the team called now? Full name required,
> like "Toronto Argonauts".

Carolina Hurricanes

--
Joshua Kreitzer
grom...@hotmail.com

Pete Gayde

Nov 24, 2018, 9:03:15 PM11/24/18
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:otednXyEv6xByGXGnZ2dnUU7-
SPN...@giganews.com:

> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2018-07-23,

> Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
> the correct answers in about 4 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of What She Said and are
> used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have
> been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information see
> my 2018-07-16 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>

> ** Game 9, Round 9 - Miscellaneous - Automotive Logos
>
> Automakers from around the world pride themselves on distinct
> logos, which become the badges that decorate their cars. Please
> see 24 of them on the handout at:
>
> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/9-9/cars.jpg
>
> For questions #1-4, we'll give you a number and the brand's country
> of origin: you name the brand.
>
> 1. #11 (Japan).

Subaru

> 2. #18 (United States).

Buick

> 3. #20 (England).

Vauxhall

> 4. #14 (Italy).

Fiat

7

6

> 7. Infiniti.

19

> 8. Cadillac.

23

1

8

> And if you like, decode the rot13 to see the brands of the 14 decoys
> and pick out their logos for fun, but for no points.
>
> 11. Znlonpu.

13

> 12. Pvgebra.

20

> 13. Ibyxfjntra.

21

> 14. Yrkhf.

17

5

> 16. Grfyn.

24

> 17. Nphen.

15

4

2

> 20. Qnrjbb.

10

> 21. Ohtnggv.

22

9

> 23. Znmqn.

12

> 24. Ulhaqnv.

16

> ** Game 9, Round 10 - Challenge - W(h)ales
>
> When we were coming up with ideas for challenge rounds, we realized
> that we like whales, but then we realized that we also like Wales.
> In the spirit of compromise, every category in this round has one
> question about whales, and one question about Wales.
>
> * A. Literature: Tales of W(h)ales
>
> A1. What is the name of Captain Ahab's ship in "Moby-Dick"?

Pequod

> A2. "A Child's Christmas in Wales" was written by which famed
> Welsh writer and poet?

Dylan Thomas

> * B. Entertainment: W(h)ales on Screen
>
> B1. Ron Howard directed this 2015 movie starring Chris
> Hemsworth, about the true-life events which inspired
> the novel "Moby-Dick". Name the movie.
>
> B2. Which 2014 movie about gay activists helping Welsh miners
> during the British miners' strikes in 1984 is currently
> being adapted into a stage musical?
>

> * C. Geography: Where we Find W(h)ales
>
> C1. Wales is bordered on the south by which body of water,
> which extends outward from the Severn estuary?

Cardiff Bay

> C2. Although many different whales spend part of their year in
> the Canadian Arctic, three species in particular are
> concentrated there as their primary habitat. Name *any
> one* of them.
>

> * D. Miscellaneous: Products of W(h)ales
>
> D1. Although the steel industry in Wales has gradually shrunk
> over the years, it is still the UK's primary producer of
> two *other* types of metal commonly used in manufacturing.
> Name *either*.

Aluminum

> D2. Which substance, found in the intestines of sperm whales,
> was once prized by perfume-makers?

Ambergris

> * E. History: Conquering W(h)ales
>
> E1. Sperm whales were the most famous target of American whalers,
> but they only begun hunting sperm whales after exhausting
> the Atlantic populations of two other species of whale.
> Name *either*.

Minke; Blue

> E2. After several military campaigns, which English king
> (nicknamed "Longshanks"), finally conquered Wales once and
> for all in 1283? Give his name and number, if applicable.

Edward II; Edward I

> * F. Sports: W(h)ales in Sports
>
> F1. One Welsh team currently plays in the Premier League,
> the topmost league of English soccer. Name that team.

Cardiff City

> F2. The Hartford Whalers moved from Hartford to a new city
> in 1997. What is the team called now? Full name required,
> like "Toronto Argonauts".

Carolina Hurricanes

Pete Gayde

Dan Tilque

Nov 24, 2018, 11:08:38 PM11/24/18
Mark Brader wrote:

> ** Game 9, Round 9 - Miscellaneous - Automotive Logos
>
> Automakers from around the world pride themselves on distinct
> logos, which become the badges that decorate their cars. Please
> see 24 of them on the handout at:
>
> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/9-9/cars.jpg
>
> For questions #1-4, we'll give you a number and the brand's country
> of origin: you name the brand.
>
> 1. #11 (Japan).

Subaru

> 2. #18 (United States).

Pontiac

> 3. #20 (England).
> 4. #14 (Italy).

Lamborgini

7

> 6. Maserati.
> 7. Infiniti.

19

> 8. Cadillac.

23

Pequod

> A2. "A Child's Christmas in Wales" was written by which famed
> Welsh writer and poet?

Dylan Thomas

> * B. Entertainment: W(h)ales on Screen
>
> B1. Ron Howard directed this 2015 movie starring Chris
> Hemsworth, about the true-life events which inspired
> the novel "Moby-Dick". Name the movie.
>
> B2. Which 2014 movie about gay activists helping Welsh miners
> during the British miners' strikes in 1984 is currently
> being adapted into a stage musical?
>

> * C. Geography: Where we Find W(h)ales
>
> C1. Wales is bordered on the south by which body of water,
> which extends outward from the Severn estuary?
>
> C2. Although many different whales spend part of their year in
> the Canadian Arctic, three species in particular are
> concentrated there as their primary habitat. Name *any
> one* of them.
>

> * D. Miscellaneous: Products of W(h)ales
>
> D1. Although the steel industry in Wales has gradually shrunk
> over the years, it is still the UK's primary producer of
> two *other* types of metal commonly used in manufacturing.
> Name *either*.

zinc

> D2. Which substance, found in the intestines of sperm whales,
> was once prized by perfume-makers?
>

> * E. History: Conquering W(h)ales
>
> E1. Sperm whales were the most famous target of American whalers,
> but they only begun hunting sperm whales after exhausting
> the Atlantic populations of two other species of whale.
> Name *either*.

Right Whales

> E2. After several military campaigns, which English king
> (nicknamed "Longshanks"), finally conquered Wales once and
> for all in 1283? Give his name and number, if applicable.

Edward I

> * F. Sports: W(h)ales in Sports
>
> F1. One Welsh team currently plays in the Premier League,
> the topmost league of English soccer. Name that team.
>
> F2. The Hartford Whalers moved from Hartford to a new city
> in 1997. What is the team called now? Full name required,
> like "Toronto Argonauts".

Calgary Flames

--
Dan Tilque

Dan Blum

Nov 25, 2018, 7:30:26 PM11/25/18
Mark Brader <m...@vex.net> wrote:

> ** Game 9, Round 9 - Miscellaneous - Automotive Logos

> 1. #11 (Japan).

Subaru

> 2. #18 (United States).

Buick; Oldsmobile

> 3. #20 (England).

Rolls Royce; Sterling

> 4. #14 (Italy).

Lamborghini

7

> 6. Maserati.

13

> 7. Infiniti.

19

> 8. Cadillac.

23

1

> 10. Opel.

3; 5

> ** Game 9, Round 10 - Challenge - W(h)ales

> * A. Literature: Tales of W(h)ales

> A1. What is the name of Captain Ahab's ship in "Moby-Dick"?

Pequod

> A2. "A Child's Christmas in Wales" was written by which famed
> Welsh writer and poet?

Dylan Thomas

> * C. Geography: Where we Find W(h)ales

> C2. Although many different whales spend part of their year in
> the Canadian Arctic, three species in particular are
> concentrated there as their primary habitat. Name *any
> one* of them.

grey whale

> * D. Miscellaneous: Products of W(h)ales

> D1. Although the steel industry in Wales has gradually shrunk
> over the years, it is still the UK's primary producer of
> two *other* types of metal commonly used in manufacturing.
> Name *either*.

tin; copper

> D2. Which substance, found in the intestines of sperm whales,
> was once prized by perfume-makers?

ambergris

> * E. History: Conquering W(h)ales

> E1. Sperm whales were the most famous target of American whalers,
> but they only begun hunting sperm whales after exhausting
> the Atlantic populations of two other species of whale.
> Name *either*.

grey whales

> E2. After several military campaigns, which English king
> (nicknamed "Longshanks"), finally conquered Wales once and
> for all in 1283? Give his name and number, if applicable.

Edward I

> * F. Sports: W(h)ales in Sports

> F2. The Hartford Whalers moved from Hartford to a new city
> in 1997. What is the team called now? Full name required,
> like "Toronto Argonauts".

Anaheim Mighty Ducks

Dan Blum to...@panix.com

Calvin

Nov 25, 2018, 7:39:25 PM11/25/18
On Saturday, November 24, 2018 at 5:32:51 AM UTC+10, Mark Brader wrote:

> ** Game 9, Round 9 - Miscellaneous - Automotive Logos
>
> Automakers from around the world pride themselves on distinct
> logos, which become the badges that decorate their cars. Please
> see 24 of them on the handout at:
>
> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/9-9/cars.jpg
>
> For questions #1-4, we'll give you a number and the brand's country
> of origin: you name the brand.
>
> 1. #11 (Japan).

Subaru

> 2. #18 (United States).

Buick, Chrysler

> 3. #20 (England).

Vauxhall

> 4. #14 (Italy).

Lamborghini

7

6

> 7. Infiniti.

5, 8

> 8. Cadillac.

23

> 9. Peugeot.

10

> 10. Opel.

19, 8

> ** Game 9, Round 10 - Challenge - W(h)ales
>
> When we were coming up with ideas for challenge rounds, we realized
> that we like whales, but then we realized that we also like Wales.
> In the spirit of compromise, every category in this round has one
> question about whales, and one question about Wales.
>
> * A. Literature: Tales of W(h)ales
>
> A1. What is the name of Captain Ahab's ship in "Moby-Dick"?

Ishmael

> A2. "A Child's Christmas in Wales" was written by which famed
> Welsh writer and poet?

Dahl I presume

> * B. Entertainment: W(h)ales on Screen
>
> B1. Ron Howard directed this 2015 movie starring Chris
> Hemsworth, about the true-life events which inspired
> the novel "Moby-Dick". Name the movie.
>
> B2. Which 2014 movie about gay activists helping Welsh miners
> during the British miners' strikes in 1984 is currently
> being adapted into a stage musical?

Brassed Off?

> * C. Geography: Where we Find W(h)ales
>
> C1. Wales is bordered on the south by which body of water,
> which extends outward from the Severn estuary?

Cardiff Bay

> C2. Although many different whales spend part of their year in
> the Canadian Arctic, three species in particular are
> concentrated there as their primary habitat. Name *any
> one* of them.

Minke, Orca

> * D. Miscellaneous: Products of W(h)ales
>
> D1. Although the steel industry in Wales has gradually shrunk
> over the years, it is still the UK's primary producer of
> two *other* types of metal commonly used in manufacturing.
> Name *either*.

Tin, lead

> D2. Which substance, found in the intestines of sperm whales,
> was once prized by perfume-makers?

Ambergris

> * E. History: Conquering W(h)ales
>
> E1. Sperm whales were the most famous target of American whalers,
> but they only begun hunting sperm whales after exhausting
> the Atlantic populations of two other species of whale.
> Name *either*.

Blue, sperm

> E2. After several military campaigns, which English king
> (nicknamed "Longshanks"), finally conquered Wales once and
> for all in 1283? Give his name and number, if applicable.

Edward I

> * F. Sports: W(h)ales in Sports
>
> F1. One Welsh team currently plays in the Premier League,
> the topmost league of English soccer. Name that team.

Swansea, Cardiff City

> F2. The Hartford Whalers moved from Hartford to a new city
> in 1997. What is the team called now? Full name required,
> like "Toronto Argonauts".

Nope.

cheers,
calvin

Bruce Bowler

Nov 26, 2018, 3:54:04 PM11/26/18
On Fri, 23 Nov 2018 13:32:44 -0600, Mark Brader wrote:

> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2018-07-23, and
> should be interpreted accordingly.
>
> On each question you may give up to two answers, but if you give both a
> right answer and a wrong answer, there is a small penalty. Please post
> all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup, based only on
> your own knowledge. (In your answer posting, quote the questions and
> place your answer below each one.) I will reveal the correct answers in
> about 4 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of What She Said and are used here
> by permission, but have been reformatted and may have been retyped
> and/or edited by me. For further information see my 2018-07-16
> companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>

> ** Game 9, Round 9 - Miscellaneous - Automotive Logos
>
> Automakers from around the world pride themselves on distinct logos,
> which become the badges that decorate their cars. Please see 24 of them
> on the handout at:
>
> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/9-9/cars.jpg
>
> For questions #1-4, we'll give you a number and the brand's country of
> origin: you name the brand.
>
> 1. #11 (Japan).

Subaru

> 2. #18 (United States).

Buick

7

6

> 7. Infiniti.

19

> 8. Cadillac.

23

1

5

> 12. Pvgebra.

10

> 13. Ibyxfjntra.

21

> 14. Yrkhf.

17

> 15. Eranhyg.

20

> 16. Grfyn.

24

> 17. Nphen.

15

2

9

> 23. Znmqn.

12

> 24. Ulhaqnv.

16

> ** Game 9, Round 10 - Challenge - W(h)ales
>
> When we were coming up with ideas for challenge rounds, we realized that
> we like whales, but then we realized that we also like Wales. In the
> spirit of compromise, every category in this round has one question
> about whales, and one question about Wales.
>
> * A. Literature: Tales of W(h)ales
>
> A1. What is the name of Captain Ahab's ship in "Moby-Dick"?

Peaquod

> A2. "A Child's Christmas in Wales" was written by which famed
> Welsh writer and poet?
>

> * B. Entertainment: W(h)ales on Screen
>
> B1. Ron Howard directed this 2015 movie starring Chris
> Hemsworth, about the true-life events which inspired the novel
> "Moby-Dick". Name the movie.

Essex

> B2. Which 2014 movie about gay activists helping Welsh miners
> during the British miners' strikes in 1984 is currently being
> adapted into a stage musical?
>

> * C. Geography: Where we Find W(h)ales
>
> C1. Wales is bordered on the south by which body of water,
> which extends outward from the Severn estuary?

Irish Sea

> C2. Although many different whales spend part of their year in
> the Canadian Arctic, three species in particular are concentrated
> there as their primary habitat. Name *any one* of them.

Narwhal

> * D. Miscellaneous: Products of W(h)ales
>
> D1. Although the steel industry in Wales has gradually shrunk
> over the years, it is still the UK's primary producer of two
> *other* types of metal commonly used in manufacturing. Name
> *either*.

Tin

> D2. Which substance, found in the intestines of sperm whales,
> was once prized by perfume-makers?

Ambergris

> * E. History: Conquering W(h)ales
>
> E1. Sperm whales were the most famous target of American whalers,
> but they only begun hunting sperm whales after exhausting the
> Atlantic populations of two other species of whale. Name
> *either*.

Right whale

Mark Brader

Nov 28, 2018, 4:52:18 AM11/28/18
Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2018-07-23,
> see my 2018-07-16 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

Well, Game 9 is over and JOSHUA KREITZER has won it by a goodish
margin. Hearty congratulations!

> ** Game 9, Round 9 - Miscellaneous - Automotive Logos

In the original game, this was tied with Round 7 (art school of fish)
for easiest in the game and 4th-easiest in the entire season.

> Automakers from around the world pride themselves on distinct
> logos, which become the badges that decorate their cars. Please
> see 24 of them on the handout at:

> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/9-9/cars.jpg

> For questions #1-4, we'll give you a number and the brand's country
> of origin: you name the brand.

> 1. #11 (Japan).

Subaru. 4 for Joshua, Pete, Dan Tilque, Dan Blum, Calvin, and Bruce.

> 2. #18 (United States).

Buick. 4 for Joshua, Pete, and Bruce. 3 for Dan Blum and Calvin.

> 3. #20 (England).

Vauxhall. 4 for Joshua, Pete, and Calvin.

> 4. #14 (Italy).

Lamborghini. 4 for Dan Tilque, Dan Blum, and Calvin.

> For #5-10, we name the brand and you give the logo number.

> 5. Mitsubishi.

7. 4 for Joshua, Pete, Dan Tilque, Dan Blum, Calvin, and Bruce.

On my keyboard "t" is nearest the numbers 5 and 6, so that answer
doesn't seem plausible as a typo for "7". If it was, please say so.

> 6. Maserati.

6. 4 for Pete, Calvin, and Bruce.

> 7. Infiniti.

19. 4 for Pete, Dan Tilque, Dan Blum, and Bruce.

> 8. Cadillac.

23. 4 for everyone -- Erland, Joshua, Pete, Dan Tilque, Dan Blum,
Calvin, and Bruce.

> 9. Peugeot.

1. 4 for Pete, Dan Blum, and Bruce.

> 10. Opel.

8. 4 for Erland, Joshua, and Pete. 2 for Calvin.

#13. Pete got this.

#10. Bruce got this.

#21. Erland, Joshua, Pete, and Bruce got this.

#17. Joshua, Pete, and Bruce got this.

#3. Erland got this.

#24. Pete and Bruce got this.

#15. Pete and Bruce got this.

#4. Pete got this.

#2. Erland, Joshua, Pete, and Bruce got this.

#5.

#22. Pete got this.

#9. Erland, Pete, and Bruce got this.

#12. Pete and Bruce got this.

#16. Pete and Bruce got this.

> ** Game 9, Round 10 - Challenge - W(h)ales

> When we were coming up with ideas for challenge rounds, we realized
> that we like whales, but then we realized that we also like Wales.
> In the spirit of compromise, every category in this round has one
> question about whales, and one question about Wales.

> * A. Literature: Tales of W(h)ales

> A1. What is the name of Captain Ahab's ship in "Moby-Dick"?

The Pequod. 4 for Joshua, Pete, Dan Tilque, Dan Blum, and Bruce.

> A2. "A Child's Christmas in Wales" was written by which famed
> Welsh writer and poet?

Dylan Thomas. 4 for Joshua, Pete, Dan Tilque, and Dan Blum.

> * B. Entertainment: W(h)ales on Screen

> B1. Ron Howard directed this 2015 movie starring Chris
> Hemsworth, about the true-life events which inspired
> the novel "Moby-Dick". Name the movie.

"In the Heart of the Sea". 4 for Joshua.

> B2. Which 2014 movie about gay activists helping Welsh miners
> during the British miners' strikes in 1984 is currently
> being adapted into a stage musical?

"Pride". 4 for Joshua.

> * C. Geography: Where we Find W(h)ales

> C1. Wales is bordered on the south by which body of water,
> which extends outward from the Severn estuary?

Bristol Channel.

> C2. Although many different whales spend part of their year in
> the Canadian Arctic, three species in particular are
> concentrated there as their primary habitat. Name *any
> one* of them.

Beluga, bowhead, narwhal. 4 for Bruce.

> * D. Miscellaneous: Products of W(h)ales

> D1. Although the steel industry in Wales has gradually shrunk
> over the years, it is still the UK's primary producer of
> two *other* types of metal commonly used in manufacturing.
> Name *either*.

Tin, aluminum. 4 for Joshua, Pete, and Bruce. 3 for Dan Blum
and Calvin.

> D2. Which substance, found in the intestines of sperm whales,
> was once prized by perfume-makers?

Ambergris. 4 for Joshua, Pete, Dan Blum, Calvin, and Bruce.

> * E. History: Conquering W(h)ales

> E1. Sperm whales were the most famous target of American whalers,
> but they only begun hunting sperm whales after exhausting
> the Atlantic populations of two other species of whale.
> Name *either*.

Humpback, right whale. 4 for Dan Tilque and Bruce.

> E2. After several military campaigns, which English king
> (nicknamed "Longshanks"), finally conquered Wales once and
> for all in 1283? Give his name and number, if applicable.

Edward I. 4 for Dan Tilque, Dan Blum, and Calvin. 2 for Pete.

> * F. Sports: W(h)ales in Sports

> F1. One Welsh team currently plays in the Premier League,
> the topmost league of English soccer. Name that team.

Cardiff City. ("Cardiff" was sufficient.) 4 for Joshua and Pete.
2 for Calvin.

> F2. The Hartford Whalers moved from Hartford to a new city
> in 1997. What is the team called now? Full name required,
> like "Toronto Argonauts".

Carolina Hurricanes. 4 for Joshua and Pete.

As to the wrong answers: the Calgary Flames are named after the
burning of Atlanta during the US Civil War, and that's where they
moved from. The Anaheim Mighty Ducks are now just the Anaheim Ducks,
and have not moved.

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAME 9 ROUNDS-> 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 BEST
TOPICS-> His Spo Ent Aud Geo Art Can Mis Cha SEVEN
Joshua Kreitzer 40 32 24 30 15 36 4 24 32 218
Dan Blum 32 23 20 12 20 36 12 27 19 177
Pete Gayde 32 20 4 0 20 16 4 36 26 154
"Calvin" 18 0 12 28 14 24 0 29 13 138
Dan Tilque 24 0 0 0 20 8 8 20 16 96
Bruce Bowler 27 8 -- -- -- -- -- 28 20 83
Erland Sommarskog 11 0 0 0 24 -- -- 8 0 43
Jason Kreitzer 20 0 -- -- -- -- -- -- -- 20

--
Mark Brader | "I believe we can build a better world!
Toronto | Of course, it'll take a whole lot of rock, water and dirt.

Bruce Bowler

Nov 28, 2018, 1:50:42 PM11/28/18
On Wed, 28 Nov 2018 03:52:13 -0600, Mark Brader wrote:

>> * D. Miscellaneous: Products of W(h)ales
>
>> D1. Although the steel industry in Wales has gradually shrunk
>> over the years, it is still the UK's primary producer of two
>> *other* types of metal commonly used in manufacturing. Name
>> *either*.
>
> Tin, aluminum. 4 for Joshua, Pete, and Bruce. 3 for Dan Blum and
> Calvin.

Wouldn't that be Aluminium :-)

Bruce

Erland Sommarskog

Nov 28, 2018, 2:26:51 PM11/28/18
Mark Brader (m...@vex.net) writes:
> 7. 4 for Joshua, Pete, Dan Tilque, Dan Blum, Calvin, and Bruce.
>
> On my keyboard "t" is nearest the numbers 5 and 6, so that answer
> doesn't seem plausible as a typo for "7". If it was, please say so.

But they are quite similar graphically, aren't they?

Whatever, I am not going to claim a point for that sloppy answer. It
was one of the logos I recognised straight away.

By way, speaking of Martin, isn't Aston the capital of Texas? :-)