Rotating Quiz #277

Mark Brader

Dec 26, 2017, 2:55:35 AM12/26/17
This is Rotating Quiz #277, and this one is for the sports fans, in
the hope that the next RQer who sets a single-topic quiz chooses
a topic other than sports.

I'd like to thank "Calvin" for stepping in to run RQ #276 when the
first two people who were in line to do it did not, and for choosing
a question set that allowed me to win. As usual, the first choice
to set RQ 278 will be the winner of this one. In case of a tie,
the first tiebreaker will be who scored on the hardest questions,
and the second tiebreaker will be who posted first.

As usual, please answer only from your own knowledge and post all
your answers to the newsgroup in a single posting, quoting the
questions you are answering and placing your answers below each one.

You have until the end of the year to enter, by Toronto time;
that gives you 5 days and about 21 hours from the time of posting.

This quiz asks you to give the names of some teams in professional
sports (or former names, or former teams). Answers may omit any
geographical or sponsorship part of the name, e.g. "Maple Leafs"
would be sufficient without "Toronto". 1 point for each correct
answer. Answers may repeat.

Note that "football" in this quiz may include any sport known by
that word. A team "playing at" a stadium means they play their
home games there. Descriptions are not necessarily complete;
for example, if two names are given for a stadium, it may have
had others. If nothing is said otherwise, information is about
a current team and its current home stadium.

Disclaimer: In most cases when writing this quiz, I have accepted
information from Wikipedia as correct.

1. The principal team playing at Paul Brown Stadium.

2. NBA team that played under this name 2004-14. For most of that
time they played at the Time Warner Cable Arena.

3. Minor-league baseball team that played at LaGrave Field in Fort
Worth 2001-14, most recently in the United League.

4. Football team formed in 2006, whose home arena has been known
in English as the Free State Stadium, Vodaphone Stadium, and
Toyota Stadium.

5. Football team formed in 1995, whose home was renamed from Alltel
Stadium to EverBank Field.

6. Football team playing at the Brisbane Cricket Ground.

7. The principal team playing at Ford Field.

8. Football team playing at BC Place.

9. WNBA team playing at the Target Center, Minneapolis.

10. Football team, formed in 1995, whose home was renamed from
Ericsson Stadium to Bank of America Stadium.

11. NHL team whose home was renamed from BankAtlantic Center to
BB&T Center.

12. EIHL team whose home arena is the National Ice Centre.

13. The principal team playing at Tim Hortons Field.

14. The principal team playing at Comerica Park.

15. NHL team that played 1920-25 at the Barton St. Arena, Hamilton.

16. Bonus question for show-offs, but not counting for the quiz:
one of the teams in this quiz was formed by the merger of two
teams that themselves would *each* have fitted the theme of
the quiz. Name both.

--
Mark Brader | "On our campus the UNIX system has proved to be not
Toronto | only an effective software tool, but an agent of
| -- John Lions, 1979

Erland Sommarskog

Dec 28, 2017, 2:22:32 PM12/28/17
If no one else enters, I can enter some really crazy guesses.

Mark Brader (m...@vex.net) writes:
> 1. The principal team playing at Paul Brown Stadium.

Packers

> 2. NBA team that played under this name 2004-14. For most of that
> time they played at the Time Warner Cable Arena.

White Sharks

> 3. Minor-league baseball team that played at LaGrave Field in Fort
> Worth 2001-14, most recently in the United League.

Green Socks

> 4. Football team formed in 2006, whose home arena has been known
> in English as the Free State Stadium, Vodaphone Stadium, and
> Toyota Stadium.

Fire

> 5. Football team formed in 1995, whose home was renamed from Alltel
> Stadium to EverBank Field.

Scouts

> 6. Football team playing at the Brisbane Cricket Ground.

Queens

> 7. The principal team playing at Ford Field.

Packers

> 8. Football team playing at BC Place.

Dolphins

> 9. WNBA team playing at the Target Center, Minneapolis.

Blue Socks

> 10. Football team, formed in 1995, whose home was renamed from
> Ericsson Stadium to Bank of America Stadium.

Scouts

> 11. NHL team whose home was renamed from BankAtlantic Center to
> BB&T Center.

Hurricanes

> 12. EIHL team whose home arena is the National Ice Centre.

River Rats

> 13. The principal team playing at Tim Hortons Field.

Packers

> 14. The principal team playing at Comerica Park.

Packers

> 15. NHL team that played 1920-25 at the Barton St. Arena, Hamilton.

All Stars

Dan Tilque

Dec 30, 2017, 12:50:45 AM12/30/17
Mark Brader wrote:

> 1. The principal team playing at Paul Brown Stadium.

Cinncinati Bengals

> 2. NBA team that played under this name 2004-14. For most of that
> time they played at the Time Warner Cable Arena.

Bobcats

> 3. Minor-league baseball team that played at LaGrave Field in Fort
> Worth 2001-14, most recently in the United League.

Wildcats

> 4. Football team formed in 2006, whose home arena has been known
> in English as the Free State Stadium, Vodaphone Stadium, and
> Toyota Stadium.
>
> 5. Football team formed in 1995, whose home was renamed from Alltel
> Stadium to EverBank Field.

Jaguars

> 6. Football team playing at the Brisbane Cricket Ground.
>
> 7. The principal team playing at Ford Field.

Detroit Lions

> 8. Football team playing at BC Place.

Lions

> 9. WNBA team playing at the Target Center, Minneapolis.
>
> 10. Football team, formed in 1995, whose home was renamed from
> Ericsson Stadium to Bank of America Stadium.

Carolina Panthers

> 11. NHL team whose home was renamed from BankAtlantic Center to
> BB&T Center.
>
> 12. EIHL team whose home arena is the National Ice Centre.
>
> 13. The principal team playing at Tim Hortons Field.

Tigers-Cats

> 14. The principal team playing at Comerica Park.

Detroit Tigers

> 15. NHL team that played 1920-25 at the Barton St. Arena, Hamilton.

Tigers

--
Dan Tilque

Mark Brader

Dec 31, 2017, 4:00:17 AM12/31/17
This is a reminder that you have only about 20 hours remaining,
as I post this, to enter Rotating Quiz #277. For further details
see the original contest posting.

This quiz asks you to give the names of some teams in professional
sports (or former names, or former teams). Answers may omit any
geographical or sponsorship part of the name, e.g. "Maple Leafs"
would be sufficient without "Toronto". Answers may repeat.

Note that "football" in this quiz may include any sport known by
that word. A team "playing at" a stadium means they play their
home games there. Descriptions are not necessarily complete;
for example, if two names are given for a stadium, it may have
had others. If nothing is said otherwise, information is about
a current team and its current home stadium.

Mark Brader, Toronto | "We are full of digital chain letters and
m...@vex.net | warnings about marmalade." --Matt Ridley

Pete Gayde

Dec 31, 2017, 9:13:41 PM12/31/17
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:6JidnTxJlaWBOtXHnZ2dnUU7-
eHN...@giganews.com:

> This is a reminder that you have only about 20 hours remaining,
> as I post this, to enter Rotating Quiz #277. For further details
> see the original contest posting.
>
> This quiz asks you to give the names of some teams in professional
> sports (or former names, or former teams). Answers may omit any
> geographical or sponsorship part of the name, e.g. "Maple Leafs"
> would be sufficient without "Toronto". Answers may repeat.
>
> Note that "football" in this quiz may include any sport known by
> that word. A team "playing at" a stadium means they play their
> home games there. Descriptions are not necessarily complete;
> for example, if two names are given for a stadium, it may have
> had others. If nothing is said otherwise, information is about
> a current team and its current home stadium.
>

> 1. The principal team playing at Paul Brown Stadium.

Cincinnati Bengals

> 2. NBA team that played under this name 2004-14. For most of that
> time they played at the Time Warner Cable Arena.
>
> 3. Minor-league baseball team that played at LaGrave Field in Fort
> Worth 2001-14, most recently in the United League.
>
> 4. Football team formed in 2006, whose home arena has been known
> in English as the Free State Stadium, Vodaphone Stadium, and
> Toyota Stadium.
>
> 5. Football team formed in 1995, whose home was renamed from Alltel
> Stadium to EverBank Field.

Carolina Panthers

> 6. Football team playing at the Brisbane Cricket Ground.

Brisbane Bears

> 7. The principal team playing at Ford Field.

Detroit Lions

> 8. Football team playing at BC Place.

BC Lions

> 9. WNBA team playing at the Target Center, Minneapolis.
>
> 10. Football team, formed in 1995, whose home was renamed from
> Ericsson Stadium to Bank of America Stadium.

Carolina Panthers

> 11. NHL team whose home was renamed from BankAtlantic Center to
> BB&T Center.

Pittsburgh Penguins

> 12. EIHL team whose home arena is the National Ice Centre.
>
> 13. The principal team playing at Tim Hortons Field.

Hamilton Tiger Cats

> 14. The principal team playing at Comerica Park.

Detroit Tigers

> 15. NHL team that played 1920-25 at the Barton St. Arena, Hamilton.
>
> 16. Bonus question for show-offs, but not counting for the quiz:
> one of the teams in this quiz was formed by the merger of two
> teams that themselves would *each* have fitted the theme of
> the quiz. Name both.

Pete Gayde

Mark Brader

Jan 1, 2018, 12:19:50 AM1/1/18
Mark Brader:
> This is Rotating Quiz #277, and this one is for the sports fans, in
> the hope that the next RQer who sets a single-topic quiz chooses
> a topic other than sports.

Your winner, and the next RQer, is DAN TILQUE. Lukewarm congratulations!

> This quiz asks you to give the names of some teams in professional
> sports (or former names, or former teams). Answers may omit any
> geographical or sponsorship part of the name, e.g. "Maple Leafs"
> would be sufficient without "Toronto". Answers may repeat.

All team names were felines (see also Rare Entries contest MSB55,
from 2007) and appeared in alphabetical order.

> 1. The principal team playing at Paul Brown Stadium.

Cincinnati Bengals. (NFL -- American football.) 1 for Dan and Pete.

> 2. NBA team that played under this name 2004-14. For most of that
> time they played at the Time Warner Cable Arena.

Charlotte Bobcats (now Hornets -- basketball). 1 for Dan.

> 3. Minor-league baseball team that played at LaGrave Field in Fort
> Worth 2001-14, most recently in the United League.

Fort Worth Cats.

> 4. Football team formed in 2006, whose home arena has been known
> in English as the Free State Stadium, Vodaphone Stadium, and
> Toyota Stadium.

Toyota Cheetahs (SARU -- rugby, Bloemfontein).

> 5. Football team formed in 1995, whose home was renamed from Alltel
> Stadium to EverBank Field.

Jacksonville Jaguars (NFL). 1 for Dan.

> 6. Football team playing at the Brisbane Cricket Ground.

Brisbane Lions (AFL -- Australian football).

> 7. The principal team playing at Ford Field.

Detroit Lions (NFL). 1 for Dan and Pete.

> 8. Football team playing at BC Place.

BC Lions (CFL -- Canadian football, Vancouver). 1 for Dan and Pete.

> 9. WNBA team playing at the Target Center, Minneapolis.

Minnesota Lynx (women's basketball).

> 10. Football team, formed in 1995, whose home was renamed from
> Ericsson Stadium to Bank of America Stadium.

Carolina Panthers (NFL, Charlotte NC). 1 for Dan and Pete.

> 11. NHL team whose home was renamed from BankAtlantic Center to
> BB&T Center.

Florida Panthers (hockey).

> 12. EIHL team whose home arena is the National Ice Centre.

GMB Nottingham Panthers (hockey).

> 13. The principal team playing at Tim Hortons Field.

Hamilton Tiger-Cats (CFL). I accepted "Tigers-Cats". 1 for Dan
and Pete.

> 14. The principal team playing at Comerica Park.

Detroit Tigers (AL -- baseball). 1 for Dan and Pete.

> 15. NHL team that played 1920-25 at the Barton St. Arena, Hamilton.

Hamilton Tigers. 1 for Dan.

There's no excuse for missing this one, since I mentioned the team
on 2017-12-27 in the answers posting for QFTCISG Game 8, Round 6.

#13: Hamilton Tigers, Hamilton Wildcats (not Cats). Nobody tried
this.

Scores, if there are no errors:

Dan Tilque 1 1 0 0 1 0 1 1 0 1 0 0 1 1 1 9
Pete Gayde 1 0 0 0 0 0 1 1 0 1 0 0 1 1 0 6
Erland Sommarskog 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

2 1 0 0 1 0 2 2 0 2 0 0 2 2 1

--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "B-b-but laziness is the only virtue I have *left*!"
m...@vex.net | -- Jutta Degener

Dan Tilque

Jan 1, 2018, 1:02:33 AM1/1/18
Mark Brader wrote:

> Your winner, and the next RQer, is DAN TILQUE. Lukewarm congratulations!

And an unenthusiastic thank you :)

Next RQ will be up tomorrow.

--
Dan Tilque

Mark Brader

Jan 24, 2018, 1:59:44 PM1/24/18
This is Rotating Quiz #280, and it's about historical events.

I'd like to thank Gareth Owen for running RQ #279 and dealing
promptly with the protest.

As usual, the first choice to set RQ 281 will be the winner of
this one. This time question #8 counts equally with the others.
In case of a tie, the first tiebreaker will be who scored on the
hardest questions, and the second tiebreaker will be who posted
first.

As usual, please answer only from your own knowledge and post all
your answers to the newsgroup in a single posting, quoting the
questions you are answering and placing your answers below each one.

You have until January 29 to enter, by Toronto time; that gives
you 5 days and 10 hours from the time of posting.

1. One of the early attacks in the present conflict between the US
and people claiming to represent Islam was against a US destroyer
in the port of Aden, Yemen. It was attacked by suicide bombers
aboard a small boat. Name the destroyer.

2. An act of union signed by King George III declared the
unification of two kingdoms into one. The full name used
afterwards for this kingdom does not actually appear in in the
act, but what exactly was it?

3. This 14-year war involving most of the great powers of Europe
followed the death of a childless king of the house of Hapsburg.
What is the usual name for this war in English?

4. Centuries after the fall of the Roman Empire in the west,
this Frenchman was crowned Emperor of the Romans by the
Pope, thus beginning what later became known as the so-called
"Holy Roman Empire". He reigned for about 14 years. By what
single-word name is he usually known in English?

5. The "Magna Carta" signed by King John is a famous event in
English constitutional law, but it wasn't the first time an
English king signed an agreement with the barons of the land
to limit his powers. This king knew he had only inherited
the throne because his older brother was out of the country,
and tried to buy the barons' loyalty by signing a "Coronation
Charter", also called the "Charter of Liberties". Among other
things it imposed a "strict peace", abolished the "unjust
exactions" and "evil customs" of his predecessor, and pardoned
anyone who committed murder before his own reign. Give his name,
and number if applicable.

6. The largest volcanic eruption in the history of South America
killed an estimated 1,500 people locally and, like the later
"Year Without a Summer", is believed to have caused crop failures
as far away as Russia. The name of the volcano (or one of them)
is Huaynaputina, and today it is in what country?

7. The second modern Olympic games were different from the others.
They were held in conjunction with a world's fair, events were
spread out over several months, and the word "Olympic" was
hardly used, so that it was later unclear which events should
be counted as part of the Olympics. Events included car racing,
ballooning, shooting at live pigeons, and underwater swimming.
What was the host city?

8. There is no significance to the sequence of the above questions,
but they have a theme in common. What is it?

--
Mark Brader, Toronto "Truth speak from any chair."
m...@vex.net -- Charlie Chan at the Wax Museum

swp

Jan 24, 2018, 6:45:58 PM1/24/18
On Wednesday, January 24, 2018 at 1:59:44 PM UTC-5, Mark Brader wrote:
> This is Rotating Quiz #280, and it's about historical events.

this is posted under your last rq (#277).

> I'd like to thank Gareth Owen for running RQ #279 and dealing
> promptly with the protest.

I protest that you keep posting in reply to other posts by Mark Brader. Try replying to other people for a change when you want to post something new.

> As usual, the first choice to set RQ 281 will be the winner of
> this one. This time question #8 counts equally with the others.

not sure why that matters, but ok. noted.

> In case of a tie, the first tiebreaker will be who scored on the
> hardest questions, and the second tiebreaker will be who posted
> first.
>
> As usual, please answer only from your own knowledge and post all
> your answers to the newsgroup in a single posting, quoting the
> questions you are answering and placing your answers below each one.
>
> You have until January 29 to enter, by Toronto time; that gives
> you 5 days and 10 hours from the time of posting.

who are you and what have you done with the real Mark Brader?

> 1. One of the early attacks in the present conflict between the US
> and people claiming to represent Islam was against a US destroyer
> in the port of Aden, Yemen. It was attacked by suicide bombers
> aboard a small boat. Name the destroyer.

uss cole

> 2. An act of union signed by King George III declared the
> unification of two kingdoms into one. The full name used
> afterwards for this kingdom does not actually appear in in the
> act, but what exactly was it?

united kingdom of great britain and ireland

> 3. This 14-year war involving most of the great powers of Europe
> followed the death of a childless king of the house of Hapsburg.
> What is the usual name for this war in English?

war of the spanish succession

> 4. Centuries after the fall of the Roman Empire in the west,
> this Frenchman was crowned Emperor of the Romans by the
> Pope, thus beginning what later became known as the so-called
> "Holy Roman Empire". He reigned for about 14 years. By what
> single-word name is he usually known in English?

charlemagne

> 5. The "Magna Carta" signed by King John is a famous event in
> English constitutional law, but it wasn't the first time an
> English king signed an agreement with the barons of the land
> to limit his powers. This king knew he had only inherited
> the throne because his older brother was out of the country,
> and tried to buy the barons' loyalty by signing a "Coronation
> Charter", also called the "Charter of Liberties". Among other
> things it imposed a "strict peace", abolished the "unjust
> exactions" and "evil customs" of his predecessor, and pardoned
> anyone who committed murder before his own reign. Give his name,
> and number if applicable.

king henry (no number, he was the first)

> 6. The largest volcanic eruption in the history of South America
> killed an estimated 1,500 people locally and, like the later
> "Year Without a Summer", is believed to have caused crop failures
> as far away as Russia. The name of the volcano (or one of them)
> is Huaynaputina, and today it is in what country?

peru

> 7. The second modern Olympic games were different from the others.
> They were held in conjunction with a world's fair, events were
> spread out over several months, and the word "Olympic" was
> hardly used, so that it was later unclear which events should
> be counted as part of the Olympics. Events included car racing,
> ballooning, shooting at live pigeons, and underwater swimming.
> What was the host city?

paris?

> 8. There is no significance to the sequence of the above questions,
> but they have a theme in common. What is it?

that Mark is making mistakes on purpose to trigger my automatic need to respond when someone is wrong on the internet. (see http://www.xkcd.com/386)

swp, who thinks Mark did it on purpose