Calvin's Quiz #497

Calvin

Aug 1, 2017, 7:13:12 PM8/1/17

1 Though mainly a writer, Frenchman Andre Breton [1896-1966] is considered the founder of which form of visual art?
2 Which country has the most sheep with around 200 million?
3 Which Christian saint and martyr is commonly depicted tied to a tree and shot with arrows?
4 The Dread Pirate Roberts was a character in which 1973 novel and its 1987 film adaption?
5 Valderrama golf course is located in which European country
6 Which former Soviet republic gained independence in 1991 after the Rose Revolution?
7 Namibia was once a colony of which colonial power?
8 Which Shakespeare play opens with the line “If music be the food of love, play on…”?
9 According to a 1942 WW2 song by Frank Loesser, soldiers should praise the Lord, and pass the what?
10 The Azores islands are located in which ocean?

cheers,
calvin

Peter Smyth

Aug 1, 2017, 7:44:25 PM8/1/17
Calvin wrote:

> 1 Though mainly a writer, Frenchman Andre Breton [1896-1966] is
> considered the founder of which form of visual art?
>
> 2 Which country has the most sheep with around 200 million?
Australia
> 3 Which Christian saint and martyr is commonly depicted tied to a tree
> and shot with arrows?
>
> 4 The Dread Pirate Roberts was a character in which 1973 novel and its
> 1987 film adaption?
>
> 5 Valderrama golf course is located in which European country
Spain
> 6 Which former Soviet republic gained independence in 1991 after the
> Rose Revolution?
Georgia
> 7 Namibia was once a colony of which colonial power?
Netherlands
> 8 Which Shakespeare play opens with the line “If music be the food of
> love, play on…”?
Twelfth Night
> 9 According to a 1942 WW2 song by Frank Loesser, soldiers should praise
> the Lord, and pass the what?
>
> 10 The Azores islands are located in which ocean?
Atlantic

Peter Smyth

Mark Brader

Aug 2, 2017, 12:41:15 AM8/2/17
"Calvin":
> 1 Though mainly a writer, Frenchman Andre Breton [1896-1966]
> is considered the founder of which form of visual art?

Abstract art?

> 2 Which country has the most sheep with around 200 million?

USA?

> 3 Which Christian saint and martyr is commonly depicted tied
> to a tree and shot with arrows?

None. :-) Well, I don't think I've ever seen that depiction...

> 4 The Dread Pirate Roberts was a character in which 1973
> novel and its 1987 film adaption?

"The Princess Bride".

> 5 Valderrama golf course is located in which European country

Spain?

> 6 Which former Soviet republic gained independence in 1991
> after the Rose Revolution?

Ukraine.

> 7 Namibia was once a colony of which colonial power?

Portugal.

> 8 Which Shakespeare play opens with the line "If music be
> the food of love, play on..."?

"A Midsummer Night's Dream".

> 9 According to a 1942 WW2 song by Frank Loesser, soldiers
> should praise the Lord, and pass the what?

Ammunition.

> 10 The Azores islands are located in which ocean?

Atlantic.
--
Mark Brader | In the face of such devastating logic as "despite
Toronto | what you say you mean, you must mean this and you

Dan Tilque

Aug 2, 2017, 1:03:23 AM8/2/17
Calvin wrote:
> 1 Though mainly a writer, Frenchman Andre Breton [1896-1966] is considered the founder of which form of visual art?

movie poster

> 2 Which country has the most sheep with around 200 million?

Australia

> 3 Which Christian saint and martyr is commonly depicted tied to a tree and shot with arrows?

Sebastian

> 4 The Dread Pirate Roberts was a character in which 1973 novel and its 1987 film adaption?

The Princess Bride

> 5 Valderrama golf course is located in which European country
> 6 Which former Soviet republic gained independence in 1991 after the Rose Revolution?

Lithuania

> 7 Namibia was once a colony of which colonial power?

Germany

> 8 Which Shakespeare play opens with the line “If music be the food of love, play on…”?

The Tempest

> 9 According to a 1942 WW2 song by Frank Loesser, soldiers should praise the Lord, and pass the what?

ammunition

> 10 The Azores islands are located in which ocean?

Atlantic

--
Dan Tilque

Erland Sommarskog

Aug 2, 2017, 3:57:06 AM8/2/17
Calvin (334...@gmail.com) writes:
> 2 Which country has the most sheep with around 200 million?

New Zealand

> 4 The Dread Pirate Roberts was a character in which 1973 novel and
> its 1987 film adaption?

Pirates of the Carribbean

> 5 Valderrama golf course is located in which European country

There was a Colombian footballer with that name. Hm, that could be a
clue. Spain?

> 6 Which former Soviet republic gained independence in 1991 after the
> Rose Revolution?

None. Or quite a few if we skip the part about the Rose Revolution which
occurred in Georgia around 2002.

> 7 Namibia was once a colony of which colonial power?

Germany

> 8 Which Shakespeare play opens with the line ?If music be the food
> of love, play on???

As you Please

> 10 The Azores islands are located in which ocean?

Atlantic

Marc Dashevsky

Aug 2, 2017, 4:58:49 AM8/2/17
In article <e6c9a4b5-0b54-4893...@googlegroups.com>, 334...@gmail.com says...

> 1 Though mainly a writer, Frenchman Andre Breton [1896-1966] is considered the founder of which form of visual art?
surrealism

> 2 Which country has the most sheep with around 200 million?
New Zealand

> 3 Which Christian saint and martyr is commonly depicted tied to a tree and shot with arrows?
> 4 The Dread Pirate Roberts was a character in which 1973 novel and its 1987 film adaption?
> 5 Valderrama golf course is located in which European country
Spain

> 6 Which former Soviet republic gained independence in 1991 after the Rose Revolution?
Belarus

> 7 Namibia was once a colony of which colonial power?
Germany

> 8 Which Shakespeare play opens with the line ?If music be the food of love, play on???
> 9 According to a 1942 WW2 song by Frank Loesser, soldiers should praise the Lord, and pass the what?
ammunition

> 10 The Azores islands are located in which ocean?
North Atlantic

> cheers,
> calvin

Dan Blum

Aug 2, 2017, 9:40:48 AM8/2/17
Calvin <334...@gmail.com> wrote:

> 2 Which country has the most sheep with around 200 million?

Australia

> 3 Which Christian saint and martyr is commonly depicted tied to a tree and shot with arrows?

St. Sebastian

> 4 The Dread Pirate Roberts was a character in which 1973 novel and its 1987 film adaption?

The Princess Bride

> 5 Valderrama golf course is located in which European country

Spain

> 6 Which former Soviet republic gained independence in 1991 after the Rose Revolution?

Georgia

> 7 Namibia was once a colony of which colonial power?

Netherlands

> 8 Which Shakespeare play opens with the line ?If music be the food of love, play on???

Twelfth Night

> 9 According to a 1942 WW2 song by Frank Loesser, soldiers should praise the Lord, and pass the what?

ammunition

> 10 The Azores islands are located in which ocean?

Atlantic

Dan Blum to...@panix.com

Chris F.A. Johnson

Aug 3, 2017, 8:08:04 PM8/3/17
On 2017-08-01, Calvin wrote:

> 1 Though mainly a writer, Frenchman Andre Breton [1896-1966] is considered the founder of which form of visual art?

Surrealism

> 2 Which country has the most sheep with around 200 million?

New Zealand

> 3 Which Christian saint and martyr is commonly depicted tied to a tree and shot with arrows?
> 4 The Dread Pirate Roberts was a character in which 1973 novel and its 1987 film adaption?

The Princess Bride

> 5 Valderrama golf course is located in which European country

Spain

> 6 Which former Soviet republic gained independence in 1991 after the Rose Revolution?

Belarux

> 7 Namibia was once a colony of which colonial power?

Germany

> 8 Which Shakespeare play opens with the line ???If music be the food of love, play on???????

Twelfth Night

> 9 According to a 1942 WW2 song by Frank Loesser, soldiers should praise the Lord, and pass the what?

Ammunition

> 10 The Azores islands are located in which ocean?

Atlantic

--
Chris F.A. Johnson

Pete Gayde

Aug 3, 2017, 10:02:09 PM8/3/17
Calvin <334...@gmail.com> wrote in

> 1 Though mainly a writer, Frenchman Andre Breton [1896-1966] is
> considered the founder of which form of visual art?
> 2 Which country has the most sheep with around 200 million?

Argentina

> 3 Which
> Christian saint and martyr is commonly depicted tied to a tree and
> shot with arrows?

St Augustine

> 4 The Dread Pirate Roberts was a character in
> which 1973 novel and its 1987 film adaption?
> 5 Valderrama golf
> course is located in which European country?

Spain

> 6 Which former Soviet
> republic gained independence in 1991 after the Rose Revolution?

Ukraine

> 7 Namibia was once a colony of which colonial power?

Germany

> 8 Which
> Shakespeare play opens with the line “If music be the food of love,
> play on…”?

Merchant of Venice

> 9 According to a 1942 WW2 song by Frank Loesser,
> soldiers should praise the Lord, and pass the what?

Ammunition

> 10 The Azores islands are located in which ocean?

Atlantic

> cheers,
> calvin

Pete Gayde

Calvin

Aug 9, 2017, 10:09:57 PM8/9/17
On Wednesday, August 2, 2017 at 9:13:12 AM UTC+10, Calvin wrote:

> 1 Though mainly a writer, Frenchman Andre Breton [1896-1966] is considered the founder of which form of visual art?

Surrealism

> 2 Which country has the most sheep with around 200 million?

China
No one got this

> 3 Which Christian saint and martyr is commonly depicted tied to a tree and shot with arrows?

Saint Sebastian

> 4 The Dread Pirate Roberts was a character in which 1973 novel and its 1987 film adaption?

The Princess Bride

> 5 Valderrama golf course is located in which European country?

Spain

> 6 Which former Soviet republic gained independence in 1991 after the Rose Revolution?

Oops. The intended answer was Georgia but that, as Erland pointed out, was in 2003. So I'm also accepting any former Soviet republic. Apologies.

> 7 Namibia was once a colony of which colonial power?

Germany

> 8 Which Shakespeare play opens with the line “If music be the food of love, play on…”?

Twelfth Night

> 9 According to a 1942 WW2 song by Frank Loesser, soldiers should praise the Lord, and pass the what?

Ammunition

> 10 The Azores islands are located in which ocean?

[North] Atlantic

Q1 Q2 Q3 Q4 Q5 Q6 Q7 Q8 Q9 Q10 TOTAL TB Quiz 497
1 0 0 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 8 42 Chris Johnson
0 0 1 1 1 1 0 1 1 1 7 38 Dan Blum
0 0 1 1 0 1 1 0 1 1 6 34 Dan Tilque
1 0 0 0 1 1 1 0 1 1 6 35 Marc Dashevsky
0 0 0 1 1 1 0 0 1 1 5 32 Mark Brader
0 0 0 0 1 1 1 0 1 1 5 33 Pete Gayde
0 0 1 0 0 1 0 1 0 1 4 22 Peter Smyth
0 0 0 0 1 1 1 0 0 1 4 27 Erland S
- - - - - - - - - - --- ----------
2 0 3 4 6 8 5 3 6 8 45 56%

Well done Chris!

cheers,
calvin

Mark Brader

Aug 10, 2017, 2:06:14 AM8/10/17
"Calvin":
> > 7 Namibia was once a colony of which colonial power?
>
> Germany

I think the UK also qualifies, though it doesn't matter for CQ purposes
since nobody gave that answer.
--
Mark Brader "So the American government went to IBM
Toronto to come up with a data encryption standard

Erland Sommarskog

Aug 10, 2017, 3:13:00 AM8/10/17
Calvin (334...@gmail.com) writes:
>> 6 Which former Soviet republic gained independence in 1991 after
>> the Rose Revolution?
>

> Oops. The intended answer was Georgia but that, as Erland pointed out,
> was in 2003. So I'm also accepting any former Soviet republic.

And for those who don't remember: the Rose Revolution was not about
independence, but was a reaction to falsified election results, and it
meant an end to Edvard Shevarnadze's presidency.

Calvin

Aug 13, 2017, 7:44:20 PM8/13/17
On Thursday, August 10, 2017 at 4:06:14 PM UTC+10, Mark Brader wrote:
> "Calvin":
> > > 7 Namibia was once a colony of which colonial power?
> >
> > Germany
>
> I think the UK also qualifies, though it doesn't matter for CQ purposes
> since nobody gave that answer.

It's certainly arguable. Part of Namibia was part of the Cape Colony when it was a British colony.

cheers,
calvin