QFTCI5EP Game 10, Rounds 7-8: women's bios, African history

Mark Brader

Aug 17, 2017, 11:46:46 PM8/17/17
You get until I come back for this one.

These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2017-03-27,
and should be interpreted accordingly.

Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
the correct answers in about 10-12 days.

All questions were written by members of 5 Easy Pieces and are
used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have
been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information see
my 2016-11-26 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

* Game 10, Round 7 - Literature - Recent Biographies of Famous Women

Many celebrities have published biographies or autobiographies
in the past couple of years. We give you the title (and in some
cases a short clue); you name the person who's the subject.

1. "The Girl with the Lower Back Tattoo".

2. "Reckless: My Life as a Pretender".

3. "Talking as Fast as I Can".

4. "Bossypants".

5. "The Princess Diarist".

6. "Not That Kind of Girl".

7. "Scrappy Little Nobody", by an American actress and singer who
has a supporting role in The Twilight Saga.

8. "Just Kids", written by a legend of the New York punk scene.

9. "Why Not Me?", by a comedienne and star of her own sitcom that's
now in its fifth season.

10. "Yes, Please", written by a former "Saturday Night Live"
actress and comedienne.

* Game 10, Round 8 - History - Africa

If we didn't already know about the importance of Africa to the
world down through the ages, the recent excellent PBS series
"Africa's Great Civilizations", hosted by Henry Louis Gates Jr.,
has certainly enlightened us. Here are 10 questions on some of
that history.

1. For years Rhodesia, the country now known as Zimbabwe, denied
that black Africans could possibly have had anything to do with
building this remarkable architectural wonder that is often
cited as the oldest human-made monumental structure south of
the Sahara -- according to white Rhodesians it had to have
been created by Portuguese or Arab traders, and before 1980
saying otherwise could have landed you in jail. Of course,
indigenous people did erect the thing. What is it called?

2. Through strength of will and martial ability, this Zulu leader
made his people paramount in what is now South Africa. He was
born in 1787 and was assassinated in 1828. In later years,
even the British and Afrikaners had to admit admiration for
his prowess in war. Who was he?

3. Independence from European colonial rule was in the air in
1950s and 1960s Africa. Among the many newly minted nations
back then was Senegal, which was granted freedom from France
in 1960. The country's first president was a distinguished poet
and intellectual and became the first African to be elected to
France's Académie Française. Who was he?

4. In 1964, a few years after their independence, neighboring former
British colonies Tanganyika and Zanzibar merged to become
Tanzania. The new union's first president held that office
until 1985. Give his name.

5. This large group of people whose hundreds of languages are
linguistically related spread southward and eastward from West
and Central Africa from about 1000 BC to 500 AD, until they
could be found in just about every part of the continent south
of the Sahara. What are these people collectively called?

6. When the <answer 5> peoples first reached what are now
Botswana, Namibia, Zimbabwe, and South Africa, they encountered
these once-widespread hunter-gatherer people whose ancestors
are thought to be the original human inhabitants of the region.
What is the collective name of *these* people?

7. Seven different empires once thrived in West and East Africa.
One of these was in East Africa and was called the Kingdom
of Aksum, which created a rich culture and fabulous trading
economy that lasted from about 100 to 940. At its height Aksum
boasted superpower status among the Roman Empire and the great
civilizations found in Persia, China, and India. Name the
modern African nation that served as Aksum's center and base.

8. In West Africa, the Songhai Empire flourished in the 15th
and 16th centuries. At its height it controlled 1,400,000 km²
(500,000 sq.mi.), including parts of the modern nations of Benin,
Burkina Faso, Mali, Nigeria, and Senegal, among others. The city
of Gao was the empire's capital, but it was another Songhai city
that became famous for its repositories of ancient manuscripts
and intellectual brilliance. What is *that* city's name?

9. Since gaining independence from European masters, many African
nations have been afflicted with murderous dictators and despots,
some of whom like Kwame Nkrumah in Ghana or Robert Mugabe in
Zimbabwe started off, it seemed, with the welfare of their
people at heart but soon set a course for personal enrichment
and grandiose megalomania. In Malawi this man ruled with an
iron fist for 30 years, from the country's independence from
Britain in 1964 to 1994. Who is he?

10. José Eduardo Dos Santos and Teodoro Obiang Nguema Mbasogo are
Africa's longest-serving leaders, both coming to power in 1979.
Mbasogo is also the longest-serving non-royal leader in the
world. Name *either* of the countries they lead (or led,
if the facts have changed since the original game).

--
Mark Brader "MSB is an accepted explanation for men's
Toronto misbehaviors. ... Just blame it on MSB

Dan Blum

Aug 17, 2017, 11:53:09 PM8/17/17
Mark Brader <m...@vex.net> wrote:

> * Game 10, Round 7 - Literature - Recent Biographies of Famous Women

> 1. "The Girl with the Lower Back Tattoo".

Amy Schumer

> 2. "Reckless: My Life as a Pretender".

Chrissy Hynde

> 4. "Bossypants".

Tina Fey

> 5. "The Princess Diarist".

Carrie Fisher

> 6. "Not That Kind of Girl".

Laverne Cox

> 7. "Scrappy Little Nobody", by an American actress and singer who
> has a supporting role in The Twilight Saga.

Anna Kendrick

> 9. "Why Not Me?", by a comedienne and star of her own sitcom that's
> now in its fifth season.

Mindy Kaling

> 10. "Yes, Please", written by a former "Saturday Night Live"
> actress and comedienne.

Amy Poehler

> * Game 10, Round 8 - History - Africa

> 2. Through strength of will and martial ability, this Zulu leader
> made his people paramount in what is now South Africa. He was
> born in 1787 and was assassinated in 1828. In later years,
> even the British and Afrikaners had to admit admiration for
> his prowess in war. Who was he?

Shaka
(or Chaka or T'chaka, depending on which orthographic convention you prefer)

> 5. This large group of people whose hundreds of languages are
> linguistically related spread southward and eastward from West
> and Central Africa from about 1000 BC to 500 AD, until they
> could be found in just about every part of the continent south
> of the Sahara. What are these people collectively called?

Bantu

> 6. When the <answer 5> peoples first reached what are now
> Botswana, Namibia, Zimbabwe, and South Africa, they encountered
> these once-widespread hunter-gatherer people whose ancestors
> are thought to be the original human inhabitants of the region.
> What is the collective name of *these* people?

Bushmen

> 7. Seven different empires once thrived in West and East Africa.
> One of these was in East Africa and was called the Kingdom
> of Aksum, which created a rich culture and fabulous trading
> economy that lasted from about 100 to 940. At its height Aksum
> boasted superpower status among the Roman Empire and the great
> civilizations found in Persia, China, and India. Name the
> modern African nation that served as Aksum's center and base.

Ethiopia

> 8. In West Africa, the Songhai Empire flourished in the 15th
> and 16th centuries. At its height it controlled 1,400,000 km?
> (500,000 sq.mi.), including parts of the modern nations of Benin,
> Burkina Faso, Mali, Nigeria, and Senegal, among others. The city
> of Gao was the empire's capital, but it was another Songhai city
> that became famous for its repositories of ancient manuscripts
> and intellectual brilliance. What is *that* city's name?

Timbuktu

> 10. Jos? Eduardo Dos Santos and Teodoro Obiang Nguema Mbasogo are
> Africa's longest-serving leaders, both coming to power in 1979.
> Mbasogo is also the longest-serving non-royal leader in the
> world. Name *either* of the countries they lead (or led,
> if the facts have changed since the original game).

Mozambique; Equatorial Guinea

Dan Blum to...@panix.com

Joshua Kreitzer

Aug 18, 2017, 1:08:39 AM8/18/17
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:bpadnRDhZKW9_gvEnZ2dnUU7-
QnN...@giganews.com:

> * Game 10, Round 7 - Literature - Recent Biographies of Famous Women
>
> Many celebrities have published biographies or autobiographies
> in the past couple of years. We give you the title (and in some
> cases a short clue); you name the person who's the subject.
>
> 1. "The Girl with the Lower Back Tattoo".

Amy Schumer

> 4. "Bossypants".

Tina Fey

> 5. "The Princess Diarist".

Carrie Fisher

> 6. "Not That Kind of Girl".

Lena Dunham

> 8. "Just Kids", written by a legend of the New York punk scene.

Patti Smith

> 9. "Why Not Me?", by a comedienne and star of her own sitcom that's
> now in its fifth season.

Mindy Kaling

> 10. "Yes, Please", written by a former "Saturday Night Live"
> actress and comedienne.

Amy Poehler

> * Game 10, Round 8 - History - Africa
>
> If we didn't already know about the importance of Africa to the
> world down through the ages, the recent excellent PBS series
> "Africa's Great Civilizations", hosted by Henry Louis Gates Jr.,
> has certainly enlightened us. Here are 10 questions on some of
> that history.
>
> 2. Through strength of will and martial ability, this Zulu leader
> made his people paramount in what is now South Africa. He was
> born in 1787 and was assassinated in 1828. In later years,
> even the British and Afrikaners had to admit admiration for
> his prowess in war. Who was he?

Shaka

> 3. Independence from European colonial rule was in the air in
> 1950s and 1960s Africa. Among the many newly minted nations
> back then was Senegal, which was granted freedom from France
> in 1960. The country's first president was a distinguished poet
> and intellectual and became the first African to be elected to
> France's Académie Française. Who was he?

Senghor

> 5. This large group of people whose hundreds of languages are
> linguistically related spread southward and eastward from West
> and Central Africa from about 1000 BC to 500 AD, until they
> could be found in just about every part of the continent south
> of the Sahara. What are these people collectively called?

Bantu

> 6. When the <answer 5> peoples first reached what are now
> Botswana, Namibia, Zimbabwe, and South Africa, they encountered
> these once-widespread hunter-gatherer people whose ancestors
> are thought to be the original human inhabitants of the region.
> What is the collective name of *these* people?

Khoi-San

> 7. Seven different empires once thrived in West and East Africa.
> One of these was in East Africa and was called the Kingdom
> of Aksum, which created a rich culture and fabulous trading
> economy that lasted from about 100 to 940. At its height Aksum
> boasted superpower status among the Roman Empire and the great
> civilizations found in Persia, China, and India. Name the
> modern African nation that served as Aksum's center and base.

Kenya

> 8. In West Africa, the Songhai Empire flourished in the 15th
> and 16th centuries. At its height it controlled 1,400,000 km²
> (500,000 sq.mi.), including parts of the modern nations of Benin,
> Burkina Faso, Mali, Nigeria, and Senegal, among others. The city
> of Gao was the empire's capital, but it was another Songhai city
> that became famous for its repositories of ancient manuscripts
> and intellectual brilliance. What is *that* city's name?

Timbuktu

> 10. José Eduardo Dos Santos and Teodoro Obiang Nguema Mbasogo are
> Africa's longest-serving leaders, both coming to power in 1979.
> Mbasogo is also the longest-serving non-royal leader in the
> world. Name *either* of the countries they lead (or led,
> if the facts have changed since the original game).

Equatorial Guinea

--
Joshua Kreitzer
grom...@hotmail.com

Dan Tilque

Aug 18, 2017, 3:06:48 AM8/18/17
Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 10, Round 7 - Literature - Recent Biographies of Famous Women
>
> Many celebrities have published biographies or autobiographies
> in the past couple of years. We give you the title (and in some
> cases a short clue); you name the person who's the subject.
>
> 1. "The Girl with the Lower Back Tattoo".
>
> 2. "Reckless: My Life as a Pretender".
>
> 3. "Talking as Fast as I Can".
>
> 4. "Bossypants".
>
> 5. "The Princess Diarist".
>
> 6. "Not That Kind of Girl".
>
> 7. "Scrappy Little Nobody", by an American actress and singer who
> has a supporting role in The Twilight Saga.
>
> 8. "Just Kids", written by a legend of the New York punk scene.
>
> 9. "Why Not Me?", by a comedienne and star of her own sitcom that's
> now in its fifth season.
>
> 10. "Yes, Please", written by a former "Saturday Night Live"
> actress and comedienne.

Jane Curtin

> * Game 10, Round 8 - History - Africa
>
> If we didn't already know about the importance of Africa to the
> world down through the ages, the recent excellent PBS series
> "Africa's Great Civilizations", hosted by Henry Louis Gates Jr.,
> has certainly enlightened us. Here are 10 questions on some of
> that history.
>
> 1. For years Rhodesia, the country now known as Zimbabwe, denied
> that black Africans could possibly have had anything to do with
> building this remarkable architectural wonder that is often
> cited as the oldest human-made monumental structure south of
> the Sahara -- according to white Rhodesians it had to have
> been created by Portuguese or Arab traders, and before 1980
> saying otherwise could have landed you in jail. Of course,
> indigenous people did erect the thing. What is it called?

Great Zimbabwe

> 2. Through strength of will and martial ability, this Zulu leader
> made his people paramount in what is now South Africa. He was
> born in 1787 and was assassinated in 1828. In later years,
> even the British and Afrikaners had to admit admiration for
> his prowess in war. Who was he?

Shaka

> 3. Independence from European colonial rule was in the air in
> 1950s and 1960s Africa. Among the many newly minted nations
> back then was Senegal, which was granted freedom from France
> in 1960. The country's first president was a distinguished poet
> and intellectual and became the first African to be elected to
> France's Académie Française. Who was he?
>
> 4. In 1964, a few years after their independence, neighboring former
> British colonies Tanganyika and Zanzibar merged to become
> Tanzania. The new union's first president held that office
> until 1985. Give his name.
>
> 5. This large group of people whose hundreds of languages are
> linguistically related spread southward and eastward from West
> and Central Africa from about 1000 BC to 500 AD, until they
> could be found in just about every part of the continent south
> of the Sahara. What are these people collectively called?

Bantu

> 6. When the <answer 5> peoples first reached what are now
> Botswana, Namibia, Zimbabwe, and South Africa, they encountered
> these once-widespread hunter-gatherer people whose ancestors
> are thought to be the original human inhabitants of the region.
> What is the collective name of *these* people?

San

> 7. Seven different empires once thrived in West and East Africa.
> One of these was in East Africa and was called the Kingdom
> of Aksum, which created a rich culture and fabulous trading
> economy that lasted from about 100 to 940. At its height Aksum
> boasted superpower status among the Roman Empire and the great
> civilizations found in Persia, China, and India. Name the
> modern African nation that served as Aksum's center and base.
>
> 8. In West Africa, the Songhai Empire flourished in the 15th
> and 16th centuries. At its height it controlled 1,400,000 km²
> (500,000 sq.mi.), including parts of the modern nations of Benin,
> Burkina Faso, Mali, Nigeria, and Senegal, among others. The city
> of Gao was the empire's capital, but it was another Songhai city
> that became famous for its repositories of ancient manuscripts
> and intellectual brilliance. What is *that* city's name?

Timbuktu

> 9. Since gaining independence from European masters, many African
> nations have been afflicted with murderous dictators and despots,
> some of whom like Kwame Nkrumah in Ghana or Robert Mugabe in
> Zimbabwe started off, it seemed, with the welfare of their
> people at heart but soon set a course for personal enrichment
> and grandiose megalomania. In Malawi this man ruled with an
> iron fist for 30 years, from the country's independence from
> Britain in 1964 to 1994. Who is he?
>
> 10. José Eduardo Dos Santos and Teodoro Obiang Nguema Mbasogo are
> Africa's longest-serving leaders, both coming to power in 1979.
> Mbasogo is also the longest-serving non-royal leader in the
> world. Name *either* of the countries they lead (or led,
> if the facts have changed since the original game).

Equatorial Guinea

--
Dan Tilque

Marc Dashevsky

Aug 18, 2017, 4:01:58 AM8/18/17
In article <bpadnRDhZKW9_gvE...@giganews.com>, m...@vex.net says...
> * Game 10, Round 7 - Literature - Recent Biographies of Famous Women
>
> Many celebrities have published biographies or autobiographies
> in the past couple of years. We give you the title (and in some
> cases a short clue); you name the person who's the subject.
>
> 1. "The Girl with the Lower Back Tattoo".
>
> 2. "Reckless: My Life as a Pretender".
Chrissie Hynde

> 3. "Talking as Fast as I Can".
>
> 4. "Bossypants".
>
> 5. "The Princess Diarist".
Carrie Fisher

> 6. "Not That Kind of Girl".
>
> 7. "Scrappy Little Nobody", by an American actress and singer who
> has a supporting role in The Twilight Saga.
>
> 8. "Just Kids", written by a legend of the New York punk scene.
Patti Smith

> 9. "Why Not Me?", by a comedienne and star of her own sitcom that's
> now in its fifth season.
>
> 10. "Yes, Please", written by a former "Saturday Night Live"
> actress and comedienne.
>

> * Game 10, Round 8 - History - Africa
>
> If we didn't already know about the importance of Africa to the
> world down through the ages, the recent excellent PBS series
> "Africa's Great Civilizations", hosted by Henry Louis Gates Jr.,
> has certainly enlightened us. Here are 10 questions on some of
> that history.
>
> 1. For years Rhodesia, the country now known as Zimbabwe, denied
> that black Africans could possibly have had anything to do with
> building this remarkable architectural wonder that is often
> cited as the oldest human-made monumental structure south of
> the Sahara -- according to white Rhodesians it had to have
> been created by Portuguese or Arab traders, and before 1980
> saying otherwise could have landed you in jail. Of course,
> indigenous people did erect the thing. What is it called?
>
> 2. Through strength of will and martial ability, this Zulu leader
> made his people paramount in what is now South Africa. He was
> born in 1787 and was assassinated in 1828. In later years,
> even the British and Afrikaners had to admit admiration for
> his prowess in war. Who was he?
Shaka Zulu

Erland Sommarskog

Aug 18, 2017, 2:14:15 PM8/18/17
Mark Brader (m...@vex.net) writes:
> * Game 10, Round 7 - Literature - Recent Biographies of Famous Women
>
> 2. "Reckless: My Life as a Pretender".

Chrissie Hyde

> * Game 10, Round 8 - History - Africa
>
> 4. In 1964, a few years after their independence, neighboring former
> British colonies Tanganyika and Zanzibar merged to become
> Tanzania. The new union's first president held that office
> until 1985. Give his name.

Nyere

> 5. This large group of people whose hundreds of languages are
> linguistically related spread southward and eastward from West
> and Central Africa from about 1000 BC to 500 AD, until they
> could be found in just about every part of the continent south
> of the Sahara. What are these people collectively called?

Swahili

> 6. When the <answer 5> peoples first reached what are now
> Botswana, Namibia, Zimbabwe, and South Africa, they encountered
> these once-widespread hunter-gatherer people whose ancestors
> are thought to be the original human inhabitants of the region.
> What is the collective name of *these* people?

Hottentots

> 7. Seven different empires once thrived in West and East Africa.
> One of these was in East Africa and was called the Kingdom
> of Aksum, which created a rich culture and fabulous trading
> economy that lasted from about 100 to 940. At its height Aksum
> boasted superpower status among the Roman Empire and the great
> civilizations found in Persia, China, and India. Name the
> modern African nation that served as Aksum's center and base.

Mali

> 8. In West Africa, the Songhai Empire flourished in the 15th
> and 16th centuries. At its height it controlled 1,400,000 km²
> (500,000 sq.mi.), including parts of the modern nations of Benin,
> Burkina Faso, Mali, Nigeria, and Senegal, among others. The city
> of Gao was the empire's capital, but it was another Songhai city
> that became famous for its repositories of ancient manuscripts
> and intellectual brilliance. What is *that* city's name?

Timbuktu

> 10. José Eduardo Dos Santos and Teodoro Obiang Nguema Mbasogo are
> Africa's longest-serving leaders, both coming to power in 1979.
> Mbasogo is also the longest-serving non-royal leader in the
> world. Name *either* of the countries they lead (or led,
> if the facts have changed since the original game).

Angola (Dos Santos)

Gareth Owen

Aug 18, 2017, 2:34:58 PM8/18/17
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) writes:

> 1. "The Girl with the Lower Back Tattoo".

Amy Schumer

> 4. "Bossypants".

Tina Fey

> 7. "Scrappy Little Nobody", by an American actress and singer who
> has a supporting role in The Twilight Saga.

Zooey Deschanel

> 8. "Just Kids", written by a legend of the New York punk scene.

Patti Smith!!

> 9. "Why Not Me?", by a comedienne and star of her own sitcom that's
> now in its fifth season.
>
> 10. "Yes, Please", written by a former "Saturday Night Live"
> actress and comedienne.

Amy Poehler?

> * Game 10, Round 8 - History - Africa
>
> 2. Through strength of will and martial ability, this Zulu leader
> made his people paramount in what is now South Africa. He was
> born in 1787 and was assassinated in 1828. In later years,
> even the British and Afrikaners had to admit admiration for
> his prowess in war. Who was he?

Shaka

> 7. Seven different empires once thrived in West and East Africa.
> One of these was in East Africa and was called the Kingdom
> of Aksum, which created a rich culture and fabulous trading
> economy that lasted from about 100 to 940. At its height Aksum
> boasted superpower status among the Roman Empire and the great
> civilizations found in Persia, China, and India. Name the
> modern African nation that served as Aksum's center and base.

Mali

Pete Gayde

Aug 18, 2017, 6:10:11 PM8/18/17
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:bpadnRDhZKW9_gvEnZ2dnUU7-
QnN...@giganews.com:

> You get until I come back for this one.
>
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2017-03-27,

> Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
> the correct answers in about 10-12 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of 5 Easy Pieces and are
> used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have
> been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information see
> my 2016-11-26 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>

> * Game 10, Round 7 - Literature - Recent Biographies of Famous Women
>
> Many celebrities have published biographies or autobiographies
> in the past couple of years. We give you the title (and in some
> cases a short clue); you name the person who's the subject.
>
> 1. "The Girl with the Lower Back Tattoo".

Amy Schumer

> 2. "Reckless: My Life as a Pretender".
>
> 3. "Talking as Fast as I Can".
>
> 4. "Bossypants".

Tina Fey

> 5. "The Princess Diarist".

Hathaway

> 6. "Not That Kind of Girl".
>
> 7. "Scrappy Little Nobody", by an American actress and singer who
> has a supporting role in The Twilight Saga.
>
> 8. "Just Kids", written by a legend of the New York punk scene.

Patti Smith
Swahili

> 6. When the <answer 5> peoples first reached what are now
> Botswana, Namibia, Zimbabwe, and South Africa, they encountered
> these once-widespread hunter-gatherer people whose ancestors
> are thought to be the original human inhabitants of the region.
> What is the collective name of *these* people?

Swahili

> 7. Seven different empires once thrived in West and East Africa.
> One of these was in East Africa and was called the Kingdom
> of Aksum, which created a rich culture and fabulous trading
> economy that lasted from about 100 to 940. At its height Aksum
> boasted superpower status among the Roman Empire and the great
> civilizations found in Persia, China, and India. Name the
> modern African nation that served as Aksum's center and base.

Ethiopia; Sudan

> 8. In West Africa, the Songhai Empire flourished in the 15th
> and 16th centuries. At its height it controlled 1,400,000 km²
> (500,000 sq.mi.), including parts of the modern nations of Benin,
> Burkina Faso, Mali, Nigeria, and Senegal, among others. The city
> of Gao was the empire's capital, but it was another Songhai city
> that became famous for its repositories of ancient manuscripts
> and intellectual brilliance. What is *that* city's name?

Timbuktu

> 9. Since gaining independence from European masters, many African
> nations have been afflicted with murderous dictators and despots,
> some of whom like Kwame Nkrumah in Ghana or Robert Mugabe in
> Zimbabwe started off, it seemed, with the welfare of their
> people at heart but soon set a course for personal enrichment
> and grandiose megalomania. In Malawi this man ruled with an
> iron fist for 30 years, from the country's independence from
> Britain in 1964 to 1994. Who is he?

Kenyatta

> 10. José Eduardo Dos Santos and Teodoro Obiang Nguema Mbasogo are
> Africa's longest-serving leaders, both coming to power in 1979.
> Mbasogo is also the longest-serving non-royal leader in the
> world. Name *either* of the countries they lead (or led,
> if the facts have changed since the original game).

Madagascar; Cameroon

Pete Gayde

Jason Kreitzer

Aug 19, 2017, 6:07:47 PM8/19/17
On Thursday, August 17, 2017 at 11:46:46 PM UTC-4, Mark Brader wrote:
> You get until I come back for this one.
>
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2017-03-27,

> Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
> the correct answers in about 10-12 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of 5 Easy Pieces and are
> used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have
> been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information see
> my 2016-11-26 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>

> * Game 10, Round 7 - Literature - Recent Biographies of Famous Women
>
> Many celebrities have published biographies or autobiographies
> in the past couple of years. We give you the title (and in some
> cases a short clue); you name the person who's the subject.
>
> 1. "The Girl with the Lower Back Tattoo".
Amy Schumer
> 2. "Reckless: My Life as a Pretender".
Chrissie Hynde
> 3. "Talking as Fast as I Can".
>
> 4. "Bossypants".
Tina Fey
> 5. "The Princess Diarist".
>
> 6. "Not That Kind of Girl".
>
> 7. "Scrappy Little Nobody", by an American actress and singer who
> has a supporting role in The Twilight Saga.
>
> 8. "Just Kids", written by a legend of the New York punk scene.
Patti Smith

Calvin

Aug 20, 2017, 6:43:29 PM8/20/17
On Friday, August 18, 2017 at 1:46:46 PM UTC+10, Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 10, Round 7 - Literature - Recent Biographies of Famous Women
>
> Many celebrities have published biographies or autobiographies
> in the past couple of years. We give you the title (and in some
> cases a short clue); you name the person who's the subject.
>
> 1. "The Girl with the Lower Back Tattoo".

Amy Schumer

> 2. "Reckless: My Life as a Pretender".

Chrissy Hinds

> 3. "Talking as Fast as I Can".
>
> 4. "Bossypants".
>
> 5. "The Princess Diarist".

Parker?

> 6. "Not That Kind of Girl".
>
> 7. "Scrappy Little Nobody", by an American actress and singer who
> has a supporting role in The Twilight Saga.
>
> 8. "Just Kids", written by a legend of the New York punk scene.
>
> 9. "Why Not Me?", by a comedienne and star of her own sitcom that's
> now in its fifth season.

Barr, Rait

> 10. "Yes, Please", written by a former "Saturday Night Live"
> actress and comedienne.

Fey?

> * Game 10, Round 8 - History - Africa
>
> If we didn't already know about the importance of Africa to the
> world down through the ages, the recent excellent PBS series
> "Africa's Great Civilizations", hosted by Henry Louis Gates Jr.,
> has certainly enlightened us. Here are 10 questions on some of
> that history.
>
> 1. For years Rhodesia, the country now known as Zimbabwe, denied
> that black Africans could possibly have had anything to do with
> building this remarkable architectural wonder that is often
> cited as the oldest human-made monumental structure south of
> the Sahara -- according to white Rhodesians it had to have
> been created by Portuguese or Arab traders, and before 1980
> saying otherwise could have landed you in jail. Of course,
> indigenous people did erect the thing. What is it called?

Zimbabwe

> 2. Through strength of will and martial ability, this Zulu leader
> made his people paramount in what is now South Africa. He was
> born in 1787 and was assassinated in 1828. In later years,
> even the British and Afrikaners had to admit admiration for
> his prowess in war. Who was he?

Shaka

> 3. Independence from European colonial rule was in the air in
> 1950s and 1960s Africa. Among the many newly minted nations
> back then was Senegal, which was granted freedom from France
> in 1960. The country's first president was a distinguished poet
> and intellectual and became the first African to be elected to
> France's Académie Française. Who was he?
>
> 4. In 1964, a few years after their independence, neighboring former
> British colonies Tanganyika and Zanzibar merged to become
> Tanzania. The new union's first president held that office
> until 1985. Give his name.

Julius Nuyere

> 5. This large group of people whose hundreds of languages are
> linguistically related spread southward and eastward from West
> and Central Africa from about 1000 BC to 500 AD, until they
> could be found in just about every part of the continent south
> of the Sahara. What are these people collectively called?

Swahilis?

> 6. When the <answer 5> peoples first reached what are now
> Botswana, Namibia, Zimbabwe, and South Africa, they encountered
> these once-widespread hunter-gatherer people whose ancestors
> are thought to be the original human inhabitants of the region.
> What is the collective name of *these* people?

Hottentots?

> 7. Seven different empires once thrived in West and East Africa.
> One of these was in East Africa and was called the Kingdom
> of Aksum, which created a rich culture and fabulous trading
> economy that lasted from about 100 to 940. At its height Aksum
> boasted superpower status among the Roman Empire and the great
> civilizations found in Persia, China, and India. Name the
> modern African nation that served as Aksum's center and base.

Ethiopia

> 8. In West Africa, the Songhai Empire flourished in the 15th
> and 16th centuries. At its height it controlled 1,400,000 km²
> (500,000 sq.mi.), including parts of the modern nations of Benin,
> Burkina Faso, Mali, Nigeria, and Senegal, among others. The city
> of Gao was the empire's capital, but it was another Songhai city
> that became famous for its repositories of ancient manuscripts
> and intellectual brilliance. What is *that* city's name?
>
> 9. Since gaining independence from European masters, many African
> nations have been afflicted with murderous dictators and despots,
> some of whom like Kwame Nkrumah in Ghana or Robert Mugabe in
> Zimbabwe started off, it seemed, with the welfare of their
> people at heart but soon set a course for personal enrichment
> and grandiose megalomania. In Malawi this man ruled with an
> iron fist for 30 years, from the country's independence from
> Britain in 1964 to 1994. Who is he?
>
> 10. José Eduardo Dos Santos and Teodoro Obiang Nguema Mbasogo are
> Africa's longest-serving leaders, both coming to power in 1979.
> Mbasogo is also the longest-serving non-royal leader in the
> world. Name *either* of the countries they lead (or led,
> if the facts have changed since the original game).

Equatorial Guinea, DR Congo

cheers,
calvin

Mark Brader

Aug 27, 2017, 9:40:22 PM8/27/17
Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2017-03-27,
> see my 2016-11-26 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

> * Game 10, Round 7 - Literature - Recent Biographies of Famous Women

> Many celebrities have published biographies or autobiographies
> in the past couple of years. We give you the title (and in some
> cases a short clue); you name the person who's the subject.

> 1. "The Girl with the Lower Back Tattoo".

Amy Schumer. 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua, Gareth, Pete, Jason, and Calvin.

> 2. "Reckless: My Life as a Pretender".

Chrissie Hynde. 4 for Dan Blum, Marc, and Jason. 3 for Erland
and Calvin.

> 3. "Talking as Fast as I Can".

Lauren Graham.

> 4. "Bossypants".

Tina Fey. 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua, Gareth, Pete, and Jason.

> 5. "The Princess Diarist".

Carrie Fisher. (*That* princess.) 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua, and Marc.

> 6. "Not That Kind of Girl".

Lena Dunham. 4 for Joshua.

> 7. "Scrappy Little Nobody", by an American actress and singer who
> has a supporting role in The Twilight Saga.

Anna Kendrick. 4 for Dan Blum.

> 8. "Just Kids", written by a legend of the New York punk scene.

Patti Smith. 4 for Joshua, Marc, Gareth!!, Pete, and Jason.

> 9. "Why Not Me?", by a comedienne and star of her own sitcom that's
> now in its fifth season.

Mindy Kaling. 4 for Dan Blum and Joshua.

> 10. "Yes, Please", written by a former "Saturday Night Live"
> actress and comedienne.

Amy Poehler. 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua, and Gareth.

> * Game 10, Round 8 - History - Africa

> If we didn't already know about the importance of Africa to the
> world down through the ages, the recent excellent PBS series
> "Africa's Great Civilizations", hosted by Henry Louis Gates Jr.,
> has certainly enlightened us. Here are 10 questions on some of
> that history.

> 1. For years Rhodesia, the country now known as Zimbabwe, denied
> that black Africans could possibly have had anything to do with
> building this remarkable architectural wonder that is often
> cited as the oldest human-made monumental structure south of
> the Sahara -- according to white Rhodesians it had to have
> been created by Portuguese or Arab traders, and before 1980
> saying otherwise could have landed you in jail. Of course,
> indigenous people did erect the thing. What is it called?

Great Zimbabwe. I scored "Zimbabwe" as almost correct. 4 for
Dan Tilque. 3 for Calvin.

See http://www.visitzim.com/wp-content/uploads/st_uploadfont/zimbabwe-ruins.jpg

> 2. Through strength of will and martial ability, this Zulu leader
> made his people paramount in what is now South Africa. He was
> born in 1787 and was assassinated in 1828. In later years,
> even the British and Afrikaners had to admit admiration for
> his prowess in war. Who was he?

Shaka. 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua, Dan Tilque, Marc, Gareth, and Calvin.

> 3. Independence from European colonial rule was in the air in
> 1950s and 1960s Africa. Among the many newly minted nations
> back then was Senegal, which was granted freedom from France
> in 1960. The country's first president was a distinguished poet
> and intellectual and became the first African to be elected to
> France's Académie Française. Who was he?

Léopold Sédar Senghor. 4 for Joshua.

> 4. In 1964, a few years after their independence, neighboring former
> British colonies Tanganyika and Zanzibar merged to become
> Tanzania. The new union's first president held that office
> until 1985. Give his name.

Julius Nyerere. I accepted "Nyere" or similar. 4 for Erland
and Calvin.

> 5. This large group of people whose hundreds of languages are
> linguistically related spread southward and eastward from West
> and Central Africa from about 1000 BC to 500 AD, until they
> could be found in just about every part of the continent south
> of the Sahara. What are these people collectively called?

Bantu. 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua, and Dan Tilque.

> 6. When the <answer 5> peoples first reached what are now
> Botswana, Namibia, Zimbabwe, and South Africa, they encountered
> these once-widespread hunter-gatherer people whose ancestors
> are thought to be the original human inhabitants of the region.
> What is the collective name of *these* people?

San. (Accepting Bushmen or Basawra.) 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua,
and Dan Tilque.

> 7. Seven different empires once thrived in West and East Africa.
> One of these was in East Africa and was called the Kingdom
> of Aksum, which created a rich culture and fabulous trading
> economy that lasted from about 100 to 940. At its height Aksum
> boasted superpower status among the Roman Empire and the great
> civilizations found in Persia, China, and India. Name the
> modern African nation that served as Aksum's center and base.

Ethiopia. (Also accepting Eritrea, as it was part of Ethiopia.)
4 for Dan Blum and Calvin. 3 for Pete.

> 8. In West Africa, the Songhai Empire flourished in the 15th
> and 16th centuries. At its height it controlled 1,400,000 km²
> (500,000 sq.mi.), including parts of the modern nations of Benin,
> Burkina Faso, Mali, Nigeria, and Senegal, among others. The city
> of Gao was the empire's capital, but it was another Songhai city
> that became famous for its repositories of ancient manuscripts
> and intellectual brilliance. What is *that* city's name?

Timbuktu. (Now in Mali.) 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua, Dan Tilque,
Erland, and Pete.

> 9. Since gaining independence from European masters, many African
> nations have been afflicted with murderous dictators and despots,
> some of whom like Kwame Nkrumah in Ghana or Robert Mugabe in
> Zimbabwe started off, it seemed, with the welfare of their
> people at heart but soon set a course for personal enrichment
> and grandiose megalomania. In Malawi this man ruled with an
> iron fist for 30 years, from the country's independence from
> Britain in 1964 to 1994. Who is he?

Hastings Banda.

> 10. José Eduardo Dos Santos and Teodoro Obiang Nguema Mbasogo are
> Africa's longest-serving leaders, both coming to power in 1979.
> Mbasogo is also the longest-serving non-royal leader in the
> world. Name *either* of the countries they lead (or led,
> if the facts have changed since the original game).

Angola, Equatorial Guinea (respectively). Both are still in power.
4 for Joshua, Dan Tilque, and Erland. 3 for Calvin. 2 for Dan Blum.

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAME 10 ROUNDS-> 2 3 4 6 7 8 BEST
TOPICS-> Geo Sci Spo Can Lit His FOUR
Joshua Kreitzer 16 8 30 19 28 24 101
Dan Blum 8 11 40 8 28 22 101
Dan Tilque 8 10 28 0 0 24 70
"Calvin" 13 3 22 0 7 18 60
Erland Sommarskog 16 3 12 8 3 12 48
Marc Dashevsky 8 3 12 12 12 4 44
Pete Gayde 9 11 12 0 12 7 44
Jason Kreitzer 4 0 8 8 16 0 36
Peter Smyth -- -- 28 0 -- -- 28
Gareth Owen -- -- -- -- 16 4 20

--
Mark Brader | "Which baby is that? Oh, of course -- it must be
Toronto | the one that comes complete with bathwater."

Erland Sommarskog

Aug 28, 2017, 2:39:17 AM8/28/17
Mark Brader (m...@vex.net) writes:
>> 10. José Eduardo Dos Santos and Teodoro Obiang Nguema Mbasogo are
>> Africa's longest-serving leaders, both coming to power in 1979.
>> Mbasogo is also the longest-serving non-royal leader in the
>> world. Name *either* of the countries they lead (or led,
>> if the facts have changed since the original game).
>
> Angola, Equatorial Guinea (respectively). Both are still in power.

Not for long, though. Dos Santos is not running for re-election,
amazingly enough.

Gareth Owen

Aug 28, 2017, 2:57:03 AM8/28/17
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) writes:

>> 2. Through strength of will and martial ability, this Zulu leader
>> made his people paramount in what is now South Africa. He was
>> born in 1787 and was assassinated in 1828. In later years,
>> even the British and Afrikaners had to admit admiration for
>> his prowess in war. Who was he?
>
> Shaka. 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua, Dan Tilque, Marc, Gareth, and Calvin.

Moral: Regardless of what you do for Africa, if you want Westerners to
know your name, appear as a leader in "Civilisation"