RQFTCI07 Game 9 Rounds 2-3: Superman, WW2

Mark Brader

Sep 23, 2020, 12:29:11 AM9/23/20
These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2007-03-19,
and should be interpreted accordingly. All questions were written
by members of the Usual Suspects, but have been reformatted and
may have been retyped and/or edited by me. I will reveal the
correct answers in about 3 days.

For further information, including an explanation of the """
notation that may appear in these rounds, see my 2020-06-23
companion posting on "Reposted Questions from the Canadian
Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".

I wrote one of the rounds in this set.

* Game 9, Round 2 - Literature/Entertainment - Superman

The character has appeared in comics, movies, TV shows, cartoons.
We're going to ask some questions about Superman in various media.

1. First the comic books. The character of Superman first appeared
in 1938. Name *either* of his two creators, the comic-book
writer or the artist. One was even from Toronto.

2. That first appearance of Superman in 1938 was in the first
issue of what comic book?

3. Superman has faced many strange supervillains. What is the name
of this green-skinned android, an enemy of Superman since the
1950s, who, with his "twelfth-level intellect", seeks to thwart
or destroy Superman? He also has a shrinking ray that he uses
to steal cities.

4. This imperfect duplicate of Superman has grey or white skin,
has strange "opposite" speech patterns ("Me love Superman"
for "I hate Superman"), and is almost as powerful as Superman
himself. Name him.

5. Superman was one character on an American animated TV series
about a team of superheroes that ran from 1973 to 1986. It was
produced by Hanna-Barbera. Name the series.

6. From 1941 to 1943, 17 Superman cartoons were produced by
Paramount Pictures and this affiliated studio for release in
movie theaters. Name the other studio.

7. Finally, actors that played Superman. Who played him in the
TV series "The Adventures of Superman", which ran from 1951
to 1957?

8. Who played Superman in the 1993-97 TV series "Lois and Clark"?

9. Who """plays""" young Clark Kent in the """current""" TV series
"Smallville", which was first broadcast in 2001?

10. Who played Superman in the """recent""" movie "Superman
Returns"?

* Game 9, Round 3 - History - World War II Battles

We describe a battle, you name the place that it's named after.
Since battles are named using place names as they were at the
time, *you must use those names*, not the modern ones if they
are different. Questions are roughly in chronological order,
but not exactly.

1. By the end of May 1940, almost all of northern France was in
German hands, and the British army had been forced back against
the sea. What port did the Germans fail to capture until after
the bulk of the British forces, and some French, had been able
to evacuate to England?

2. After the Germans invaded the USSR, two Soviet cities each
underwent a prolonged siege, but never fell. In September 1941
both ends of an isthmus were occupied, isolating the Soviet
city on the isthmus, which suffered a terrible death toll
from cold and starvation. The Soviets were able to provide
some relief via the isthmus's lake side, especially when the
lake was frozen, but could not drive the enemy off until 1944.
The other city was on the River Volga, and the Germans did not
just blockade it but wasted great resources from August 1942
to February 1943 in trying to capture it, because Hitler had
given his usual order to keep trying. Name *either* city.

3. The first two sea battles in history where the opposing ships
were too far apart to see each other took place in May and June
1942, as US aircraft carriers fought against Japanese ones.
In May, at the Coral Sea, the outcome was fairly even. But in
June, as Japan attempted to capture a US island outpost, all four
carriers they were using were destroyed. Name that *island*.

4. The German forces that landed in North Africa in February 1941
enjoyed great success at first, but they were stopped in the
desert 80 miles short of Alexandria, Egypt, in the first major
success for the British army during the war. The date was
October 1942; name the place.

5. In July 1943, as the Soviets were beginning to press back the
German invasion, the Germans attempted a new attack near this
city north of Kharkov. The result was the biggest tank battle in
history, involving 6,000 tanks, 4,000 planes, and 2,000,000 men.
The Germans retreated after a week of fighting and were pretty
much on the defensive on the Eastern Front for the rest of
the war. Give the one-syllable name of the city where this
battle occurred.

6. In Italy a series of battles was fought from January to
May 1944 as the Allies attempted to break through the Germans'
Gustav Line and reach Rome. This 6th-century Benedictine abbey,
being a natural defensive point, was completely destroyed by
the Allies; it gives its name to the battle.

7. In September 1944 the Allies launched an ambitious coordinated
attack by paratroops and ground forces, codenamed Operation
Market-Garden. The plan was to capture a certain Dutch city
along with the road connecting it to the Allied lines, so the
city could then be used as a spearhead into Germany. But the
target was "a bridge too far" from the Allied lines and the
operation failed. What was that Dutch city?

8. In December 1944 the Germans launched an offensive against the
Allied front in the Ardennes, which became known as the Battle of
the Bulge. American forces in one Belgian city were surrounded,
but when invited to surrender, Major General Anthony McAuliffe
simply replied "Nuts!" What city?

9. The battle for this city, which lasted about two weeks in
April 1945, progressed from street to street and was one of
the fiercest of the war. What city?

10. This island 650 miles from Tokyo was considered Japanese
soil. The Japanese had established their army underground,
with a huge system of bunkers connected by 16 miles of tunnels.
In February 1945 the Americans landed, and famously captured
the island's highest point within 4 days; but it was almost a
month before they controlled the whole island. Name the island.

--
Mark Brader "Men are animals."
Toronto "What are women? Plants, birds, fish?"

Joshua Kreitzer

Sep 23, 2020, 1:39:16 AM9/23/20
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:c6GdnVc4dOiMUvfCnZ2dnUU7-
RXN...@giganews.com:

> * Game 9, Round 2 - Literature/Entertainment - Superman
>
> The character has appeared in comics, movies, TV shows, cartoons.
> We're going to ask some questions about Superman in various media.
>
> 1. First the comic books. The character of Superman first appeared
> in 1938. Name *either* of his two creators, the comic-book
> writer or the artist. One was even from Toronto.

Siegel

> 2. That first appearance of Superman in 1938 was in the first
> issue of what comic book?

Action Comics

> 4. This imperfect duplicate of Superman has grey or white skin,
> has strange "opposite" speech patterns ("Me love Superman"
> for "I hate Superman"), and is almost as powerful as Superman
> himself. Name him.

Bizarro

> 5. Superman was one character on an American animated TV series
> about a team of superheroes that ran from 1973 to 1986. It was
> produced by Hanna-Barbera. Name the series.

"Super Friends"

> 6. From 1941 to 1943, 17 Superman cartoons were produced by
> Paramount Pictures and this affiliated studio for release in
> movie theaters. Name the other studio.

Fleischer Studio

> 7. Finally, actors that played Superman. Who played him in the
> TV series "The Adventures of Superman", which ran from 1951
> to 1957?

George Reeves

> 8. Who played Superman in the 1993-97 TV series "Lois and Clark"?

Dean Cain

> 9. Who """plays""" young Clark Kent in the """current""" TV series
> "Smallville", which was first broadcast in 2001?

Tom Welling

> 10. Who played Superman in the """recent""" movie "Superman
> Returns"?

Brandon Routh

> * Game 9, Round 3 - History - World War II Battles
>
> We describe a battle, you name the place that it's named after.
>
> 1. By the end of May 1940, almost all of northern France was in
> German hands, and the British army had been forced back against
> the sea. What port did the Germans fail to capture until after
> the bulk of the British forces, and some French, had been able
> to evacuate to England?

Dunkirk

> 2. After the Germans invaded the USSR, two Soviet cities each
> underwent a prolonged siege, but never fell. In September 1941
> both ends of an isthmus were occupied, isolating the Soviet
> city on the isthmus, which suffered a terrible death toll
> from cold and starvation. The Soviets were able to provide
> some relief via the isthmus's lake side, especially when the
> lake was frozen, but could not drive the enemy off until 1944.
> The other city was on the River Volga, and the Germans did not
> just blockade it but wasted great resources from August 1942
> to February 1943 in trying to capture it, because Hitler had
> given his usual order to keep trying. Name *either* city.

Leningrad; Stalingrad

> 3. The first two sea battles in history where the opposing ships
> were too far apart to see each other took place in May and June
> 1942, as US aircraft carriers fought against Japanese ones.
> In May, at the Coral Sea, the outcome was fairly even. But in
> June, as Japan attempted to capture a US island outpost, all four
> carriers they were using were destroyed. Name that *island*.

Midway

> 4. The German forces that landed in North Africa in February 1941
> enjoyed great success at first, but they were stopped in the
> desert 80 miles short of Alexandria, Egypt, in the first major
> success for the British army during the war. The date was
> October 1942; name the place.

El Alamein

> 5. In July 1943, as the Soviets were beginning to press back the
> German invasion, the Germans attempted a new attack near this
> city north of Kharkov. The result was the biggest tank battle in
> history, involving 6,000 tanks, 4,000 planes, and 2,000,000 men.
> The Germans retreated after a week of fighting and were pretty
> much on the defensive on the Eastern Front for the rest of
> the war. Give the one-syllable name of the city where this
> battle occurred.

Kursk

> 6. In Italy a series of battles was fought from January to
> May 1944 as the Allies attempted to break through the Germans'
> Gustav Line and reach Rome. This 6th-century Benedictine abbey,
> being a natural defensive point, was completely destroyed by
> the Allies; it gives its name to the battle.

Monte Cassino

> 7. In September 1944 the Allies launched an ambitious coordinated
> attack by paratroops and ground forces, codenamed Operation
> Market-Garden. The plan was to capture a certain Dutch city
> along with the road connecting it to the Allied lines, so the
> city could then be used as a spearhead into Germany. But the
> target was "a bridge too far" from the Allied lines and the
> operation failed. What was that Dutch city?

Amiens

> 8. In December 1944 the Germans launched an offensive against the
> Allied front in the Ardennes, which became known as the Battle of
> the Bulge. American forces in one Belgian city were surrounded,
> but when invited to surrender, Major General Anthony McAuliffe
> simply replied "Nuts!" What city?

Bastogne

> 9. The battle for this city, which lasted about two weeks in
> April 1945, progressed from street to street and was one of
> the fiercest of the war. What city?

Berlin

> 10. This island 650 miles from Tokyo was considered Japanese
> soil. The Japanese had established their army underground,
> with a huge system of bunkers connected by 16 miles of tunnels.
> In February 1945 the Americans landed, and famously captured
> the island's highest point within 4 days; but it was almost a
> month before they controlled the whole island. Name the island.

Iwo Jima

--
Joshua Kreitzer
grom...@hotmail.com

Mark Brader

Sep 23, 2020, 2:20:36 AM9/23/20
Joshua Kreitzer:
> Amiens

Huh. I just used Google Maps to see how much you missed by -- 2 countries
or a bit over 200 miles. But while the geodesic between the two cities
was on the map, I was interested to note that it passes very close to
two other cities that *also* start with the same letter: Arras and Antwerp.
--
Mark Brader | "...as many as my brain could handle
Toronto | off the top of its head..."

Dan Blum

Sep 23, 2020, 8:01:21 AM9/23/20
Mark Brader <m...@vex.net> wrote:

> * Game 9, Round 2 - Literature/Entertainment - Superman

> 1. First the comic books. The character of Superman first appeared
> in 1938. Name *either* of his two creators, the comic-book
> writer or the artist. One was even from Toronto.

Jerry Siegel

> 2. That first appearance of Superman in 1938 was in the first
> issue of what comic book?

Action Comics

> 3. Superman has faced many strange supervillains. What is the name
> of this green-skinned android, an enemy of Superman since the
> 1950s, who, with his "twelfth-level intellect", seeks to thwart
> or destroy Superman? He also has a shrinking ray that he uses
> to steal cities.

Brainiac

> 4. This imperfect duplicate of Superman has grey or white skin,
> has strange "opposite" speech patterns ("Me love Superman"
> for "I hate Superman"), and is almost as powerful as Superman
> himself. Name him.

Bizarro

> 5. Superman was one character on an American animated TV series
> about a team of superheroes that ran from 1973 to 1986. It was
> produced by Hanna-Barbera. Name the series.

Superfriends

> 6. From 1941 to 1943, 17 Superman cartoons were produced by
> Paramount Pictures and this affiliated studio for release in
> movie theaters. Name the other studio.

RKO

> 7. Finally, actors that played Superman. Who played him in the
> TV series "The Adventures of Superman", which ran from 1951
> to 1957?

George Reeves

> 8. Who played Superman in the 1993-97 TV series "Lois and Clark"?

Dean Cain

> 10. Who played Superman in the """recent""" movie "Superman
> Returns"?

Henry Cavill

> * Game 9, Round 3 - History - World War II Battles

> 1. By the end of May 1940, almost all of northern France was in
> German hands, and the British army had been forced back against
> the sea. What port did the Germans fail to capture until after
> the bulk of the British forces, and some French, had been able
> to evacuate to England?

Dunkirk

> 2. After the Germans invaded the USSR, two Soviet cities each
> underwent a prolonged siege, but never fell. In September 1941
> both ends of an isthmus were occupied, isolating the Soviet
> city on the isthmus, which suffered a terrible death toll
> from cold and starvation. The Soviets were able to provide
> some relief via the isthmus's lake side, especially when the
> lake was frozen, but could not drive the enemy off until 1944.
> The other city was on the River Volga, and the Germans did not
> just blockade it but wasted great resources from August 1942
> to February 1943 in trying to capture it, because Hitler had
> given his usual order to keep trying. Name *either* city.

Leningrad

> 3. The first two sea battles in history where the opposing ships
> were too far apart to see each other took place in May and June
> 1942, as US aircraft carriers fought against Japanese ones.
> In May, at the Coral Sea, the outcome was fairly even. But in
> June, as Japan attempted to capture a US island outpost, all four
> carriers they were using were destroyed. Name that *island*.

Midway

> 4. The German forces that landed in North Africa in February 1941
> enjoyed great success at first, but they were stopped in the
> desert 80 miles short of Alexandria, Egypt, in the first major
> success for the British army during the war. The date was
> October 1942; name the place.

Tobruk; El Alamein

> 5. In July 1943, as the Soviets were beginning to press back the
> German invasion, the Germans attempted a new attack near this
> city north of Kharkov. The result was the biggest tank battle in
> history, involving 6,000 tanks, 4,000 planes, and 2,000,000 men.
> The Germans retreated after a week of fighting and were pretty
> much on the defensive on the Eastern Front for the rest of
> the war. Give the one-syllable name of the city where this
> battle occurred.

Kursk

> 6. In Italy a series of battles was fought from January to
> May 1944 as the Allies attempted to break through the Germans'
> Gustav Line and reach Rome. This 6th-century Benedictine abbey,
> being a natural defensive point, was completely destroyed by
> the Allies; it gives its name to the battle.

Monte Cassino

> 7. In September 1944 the Allies launched an ambitious coordinated
> attack by paratroops and ground forces, codenamed Operation
> Market-Garden. The plan was to capture a certain Dutch city
> along with the road connecting it to the Allied lines, so the
> city could then be used as a spearhead into Germany. But the
> target was "a bridge too far" from the Allied lines and the
> operation failed. What was that Dutch city?

Arnhem

> 8. In December 1944 the Germans launched an offensive against the
> Allied front in the Ardennes, which became known as the Battle of
> the Bulge. American forces in one Belgian city were surrounded,
> but when invited to surrender, Major General Anthony McAuliffe
> simply replied "Nuts!" What city?

Liege

> 9. The battle for this city, which lasted about two weeks in
> April 1945, progressed from street to street and was one of
> the fiercest of the war. What city?

Berlin

> 10. This island 650 miles from Tokyo was considered Japanese
> soil. The Japanese had established their army underground,
> with a huge system of bunkers connected by 16 miles of tunnels.
> In February 1945 the Americans landed, and famously captured
> the island's highest point within 4 days; but it was almost a
> month before they controlled the whole island. Name the island.

Iwo Jima

Dan Blum to...@panix.com

Erland Sommarskog

Sep 23, 2020, 3:22:23 PM9/23/20
Mark Brader (m...@vex.net) writes:
> * Game 9, Round 2 - Literature/Entertainment - Superman
>
> 5. Superman was one character on an American animated TV series
> about a team of superheroes that ran from 1973 to 1986. It was
> produced by Hanna-Barbera. Name the series.

Guardians of the Law

> * Game 9, Round 3 - History - World War II Battles
>
> 1. By the end of May 1940, almost all of northern France was in
> German hands, and the British army had been forced back against
> the sea. What port did the Germans fail to capture until after
> the bulk of the British forces, and some French, had been able
> to evacuate to England?

Dunkirk

> 2. After the Germans invaded the USSR, two Soviet cities each
> underwent a prolonged siege, but never fell. In September 1941
> both ends of an isthmus were occupied, isolating the Soviet
> city on the isthmus, which suffered a terrible death toll
> from cold and starvation. The Soviets were able to provide
> some relief via the isthmus's lake side, especially when the
> lake was frozen, but could not drive the enemy off until 1944.
> The other city was on the River Volga, and the Germans did not
> just blockade it but wasted great resources from August 1942
> to February 1943 in trying to capture it, because Hitler had
> given his usual order to keep trying. Name *either* city.

Leningrad and Stalingrad

> 5. In July 1943, as the Soviets were beginning to press back the
> German invasion, the Germans attempted a new attack near this
> city north of Kharkov. The result was the biggest tank battle in
> history, involving 6,000 tanks, 4,000 planes, and 2,000,000 men.
> The Germans retreated after a week of fighting and were pretty
> much on the defensive on the Eastern Front for the rest of
> the war. Give the one-syllable name of the city where this
> battle occurred.

Pskov

> 7. In September 1944 the Allies launched an ambitious coordinated
> attack by paratroops and ground forces, codenamed Operation
> Market-Garden. The plan was to capture a certain Dutch city
> along with the road connecting it to the Allied lines, so the
> city could then be used as a spearhead into Germany. But the
> target was "a bridge too far" from the Allied lines and the
> operation failed. What was that Dutch city?

Rotterdam

Erland Sommarskog

Sep 23, 2020, 3:25:00 PM9/23/20
Mark Brader (m...@vex.net) writes:
> Joshua Kreitzer:
>> Amiens
>
> Huh. I just used Google Maps to see how much you missed by -- 2 countries
> or a bit over 200 miles. But while the geodesic between the two cities
> was on the map, I was interested to note that it passes very close to
> two other cities that *also* start with the same letter: Arras and
> Antwerp.

But they have a famous cathedreal, and also a part of town where there
are no streets, only canal. Very relaxing to take boat trip in.

But Dutch it ain't.

Pete Gayde

Sep 23, 2020, 8:45:34 PM9/23/20
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:c6GdnVc4dOiMUvfCnZ2dnUU7-
RXN...@giganews.com:

> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2007-03-19,
> and should be interpreted accordingly. All questions were written
> by members of the Usual Suspects, but have been reformatted and
> may have been retyped and/or edited by me. I will reveal the
> correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> For further information, including an explanation of the """
> notation that may appear in these rounds, see my 2020-06-23
> companion posting on "Reposted Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".
>

> I wrote one of the rounds in this set.
>

> * Game 9, Round 2 - Literature/Entertainment - Superman
>
> The character has appeared in comics, movies, TV shows, cartoons.
> We're going to ask some questions about Superman in various media.
>
> 1. First the comic books. The character of Superman first appeared
> in 1938. Name *either* of his two creators, the comic-book
> writer or the artist. One was even from Toronto.
>
> 2. That first appearance of Superman in 1938 was in the first
> issue of what comic book?

Action Comics

> 3. Superman has faced many strange supervillains. What is the name
> of this green-skinned android, an enemy of Superman since the
> 1950s, who, with his "twelfth-level intellect", seeks to thwart
> or destroy Superman? He also has a shrinking ray that he uses
> to steal cities.
>
> 4. This imperfect duplicate of Superman has grey or white skin,
> has strange "opposite" speech patterns ("Me love Superman"
> for "I hate Superman"), and is almost as powerful as Superman
> himself. Name him.

Bizarro Superman

> 5. Superman was one character on an American animated TV series
> about a team of superheroes that ran from 1973 to 1986. It was
> produced by Hanna-Barbera. Name the series.

Legion of Super Heroes

> 6. From 1941 to 1943, 17 Superman cartoons were produced by
> Paramount Pictures and this affiliated studio for release in
> movie theaters. Name the other studio.
>
> 7. Finally, actors that played Superman. Who played him in the
> TV series "The Adventures of Superman", which ran from 1951
> to 1957?

George Reeves

> 8. Who played Superman in the 1993-97 TV series "Lois and Clark"?

Dean Cain

> 9. Who """plays""" young Clark Kent in the """current""" TV series
> "Smallville", which was first broadcast in 2001?
>
> 10. Who played Superman in the """recent""" movie "Superman
> Returns"?
>

> * Game 9, Round 3 - History - World War II Battles
>
> We describe a battle, you name the place that it's named after.
> Since battles are named using place names as they were at the
> time, *you must use those names*, not the modern ones if they
> are different. Questions are roughly in chronological order,
> but not exactly.
>
> 1. By the end of May 1940, almost all of northern France was in
> German hands, and the British army had been forced back against
> the sea. What port did the Germans fail to capture until after
> the bulk of the British forces, and some French, had been able
> to evacuate to England?

Dunkirk

> 2. After the Germans invaded the USSR, two Soviet cities each
> underwent a prolonged siege, but never fell. In September 1941
> both ends of an isthmus were occupied, isolating the Soviet
> city on the isthmus, which suffered a terrible death toll
> from cold and starvation. The Soviets were able to provide
> some relief via the isthmus's lake side, especially when the
> lake was frozen, but could not drive the enemy off until 1944.
> The other city was on the River Volga, and the Germans did not
> just blockade it but wasted great resources from August 1942
> to February 1943 in trying to capture it, because Hitler had
> given his usual order to keep trying. Name *either* city.

Stalingrad

> 3. The first two sea battles in history where the opposing ships
> were too far apart to see each other took place in May and June
> 1942, as US aircraft carriers fought against Japanese ones.
> In May, at the Coral Sea, the outcome was fairly even. But in
> June, as Japan attempted to capture a US island outpost, all four
> carriers they were using were destroyed. Name that *island*.

Midway

> 4. The German forces that landed in North Africa in February 1941
> enjoyed great success at first, but they were stopped in the
> desert 80 miles short of Alexandria, Egypt, in the first major
> success for the British army during the war. The date was
> October 1942; name the place.

El Alamein

> 5. In July 1943, as the Soviets were beginning to press back the
> German invasion, the Germans attempted a new attack near this
> city north of Kharkov. The result was the biggest tank battle in
> history, involving 6,000 tanks, 4,000 planes, and 2,000,000 men.
> The Germans retreated after a week of fighting and were pretty
> much on the defensive on the Eastern Front for the rest of
> the war. Give the one-syllable name of the city where this
> battle occurred.

Kursk

> 6. In Italy a series of battles was fought from January to
> May 1944 as the Allies attempted to break through the Germans'
> Gustav Line and reach Rome. This 6th-century Benedictine abbey,
> being a natural defensive point, was completely destroyed by
> the Allies; it gives its name to the battle.

Monte Cassino

> 7. In September 1944 the Allies launched an ambitious coordinated
> attack by paratroops and ground forces, codenamed Operation
> Market-Garden. The plan was to capture a certain Dutch city
> along with the road connecting it to the Allied lines, so the
> city could then be used as a spearhead into Germany. But the
> target was "a bridge too far" from the Allied lines and the
> operation failed. What was that Dutch city?

Remagen

> 8. In December 1944 the Germans launched an offensive against the
> Allied front in the Ardennes, which became known as the Battle of
> the Bulge. American forces in one Belgian city were surrounded,
> but when invited to surrender, Major General Anthony McAuliffe
> simply replied "Nuts!" What city?

Bastogne

> 9. The battle for this city, which lasted about two weeks in
> April 1945, progressed from street to street and was one of
> the fiercest of the war. What city?

Berlin

> 10. This island 650 miles from Tokyo was considered Japanese
> soil. The Japanese had established their army underground,
> with a huge system of bunkers connected by 16 miles of tunnels.
> In February 1945 the Americans landed, and famously captured
> the island's highest point within 4 days; but it was almost a
> month before they controlled the whole island. Name the island.

Iwo Jima

Pete Gayde

Dan Tilque

Sep 25, 2020, 4:09:17 AM9/25/20
On 9/22/20 9:29 PM, Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 9, Round 2 - Literature/Entertainment - Superman
>
> The character has appeared in comics, movies, TV shows, cartoons.
> We're going to ask some questions about Superman in various media.
>
> 1. First the comic books. The character of Superman first appeared
> in 1938. Name *either* of his two creators, the comic-book
> writer or the artist. One was even from Toronto.

Shuster

> 2. That first appearance of Superman in 1938 was in the first
> issue of what comic book?

Action Comics

> 3. Superman has faced many strange supervillains. What is the name
> of this green-skinned android, an enemy of Superman since the
> 1950s, who, with his "twelfth-level intellect", seeks to thwart
> or destroy Superman? He also has a shrinking ray that he uses
> to steal cities.
>
> 4. This imperfect duplicate of Superman has grey or white skin,
> has strange "opposite" speech patterns ("Me love Superman"
> for "I hate Superman"), and is almost as powerful as Superman
> himself. Name him.

Bizarro

> 5. Superman was one character on an American animated TV series
> about a team of superheroes that ran from 1973 to 1986. It was
> produced by Hanna-Barbera. Name the series.

Justice League of America

> 6. From 1941 to 1943, 17 Superman cartoons were produced by
> Paramount Pictures and this affiliated studio for release in
> movie theaters. Name the other studio.

Warner Brothers

> 7. Finally, actors that played Superman. Who played him in the
> TV series "The Adventures of Superman", which ran from 1951
> to 1957?

George Reeves

> 8. Who played Superman in the 1993-97 TV series "Lois and Clark"?

Christopher Reeve

> 9. Who """plays""" young Clark Kent in the """current""" TV series
> "Smallville", which was first broadcast in 2001?
>
> 10. Who played Superman in the """recent""" movie "Superman
> Returns"?
>

> * Game 9, Round 3 - History - World War II Battles
>
> We describe a battle, you name the place that it's named after.
> Since battles are named using place names as they were at the
> time, *you must use those names*, not the modern ones if they
> are different. Questions are roughly in chronological order,
> but not exactly.
>
> 1. By the end of May 1940, almost all of northern France was in
> German hands, and the British army had been forced back against
> the sea. What port did the Germans fail to capture until after
> the bulk of the British forces, and some French, had been able
> to evacuate to England?

Dunkirk

> 2. After the Germans invaded the USSR, two Soviet cities each
> underwent a prolonged siege, but never fell. In September 1941
> both ends of an isthmus were occupied, isolating the Soviet
> city on the isthmus, which suffered a terrible death toll
> from cold and starvation. The Soviets were able to provide
> some relief via the isthmus's lake side, especially when the
> lake was frozen, but could not drive the enemy off until 1944.
> The other city was on the River Volga, and the Germans did not
> just blockade it but wasted great resources from August 1942
> to February 1943 in trying to capture it, because Hitler had
> given his usual order to keep trying. Name *either* city.

Leningrad

> 3. The first two sea battles in history where the opposing ships
> were too far apart to see each other took place in May and June
> 1942, as US aircraft carriers fought against Japanese ones.
> In May, at the Coral Sea, the outcome was fairly even. But in
> June, as Japan attempted to capture a US island outpost, all four
> carriers they were using were destroyed. Name that *island*.

Midway

> 4. The German forces that landed in North Africa in February 1941
> enjoyed great success at first, but they were stopped in the
> desert 80 miles short of Alexandria, Egypt, in the first major
> success for the British army during the war. The date was
> October 1942; name the place.

El-Alamein

> 5. In July 1943, as the Soviets were beginning to press back the
> German invasion, the Germans attempted a new attack near this
> city north of Kharkov. The result was the biggest tank battle in
> history, involving 6,000 tanks, 4,000 planes, and 2,000,000 men.
> The Germans retreated after a week of fighting and were pretty
> much on the defensive on the Eastern Front for the rest of
> the war. Give the one-syllable name of the city where this
> battle occurred.

Kursk

> 6. In Italy a series of battles was fought from January to
> May 1944 as the Allies attempted to break through the Germans'
> Gustav Line and reach Rome. This 6th-century Benedictine abbey,
> being a natural defensive point, was completely destroyed by
> the Allies; it gives its name to the battle.

Monte Cassino

> 7. In September 1944 the Allies launched an ambitious coordinated
> attack by paratroops and ground forces, codenamed Operation
> Market-Garden. The plan was to capture a certain Dutch city
> along with the road connecting it to the Allied lines, so the
> city could then be used as a spearhead into Germany. But the
> target was "a bridge too far" from the Allied lines and the
> operation failed. What was that Dutch city?

Nijmegen

> 8. In December 1944 the Germans launched an offensive against the
> Allied front in the Ardennes, which became known as the Battle of
> the Bulge. American forces in one Belgian city were surrounded,
> but when invited to surrender, Major General Anthony McAuliffe
> simply replied "Nuts!" What city?

Bastogne

> 9. The battle for this city, which lasted about two weeks in
> April 1945, progressed from street to street and was one of
> the fiercest of the war. What city?

Berlin

> 10. This island 650 miles from Tokyo was considered Japanese
> soil. The Japanese had established their army underground,
> with a huge system of bunkers connected by 16 miles of tunnels.
> In February 1945 the Americans landed, and famously captured
> the island's highest point within 4 days; but it was almost a
> month before they controlled the whole island. Name the island.

Iwo Jima

--
Dan Tilque

Mark Brader

Sep 26, 2020, 12:06:13 AM9/26/20
Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2007-03-19,
> and should be interpreted accordingly... For further information...
> see my 2020-06-23 companion posting on "Reposted Questions from
> the Canadian Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".

> I wrote one of the rounds in this set.

That was the history round.

> * Game 9, Round 2 - Literature/Entertainment - Superman

> The character has appeared in comics, movies, TV shows, cartoons.
> We're going to ask some questions about Superman in various media.

> 1. First the comic books. The character of Superman first appeared
> in 1938. Name *either* of his two creators, the comic-book
> writer or the artist. One was even from Toronto.

Joe Shuster, Jerry Siegel. 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, and Dan Tilque.

Siegel was the writer; he was from Cleveland. The fictional
"Daily Planet" newspaper was initially the "Daily Star" and was
named after the "Toronto Daily Star", now the "Toronto Star".

> 2. That first appearance of Superman in 1938 was in the first
> issue of what comic book?

"Action Comics". 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, Pete, and Dan Tilque.

> 3. Superman has faced many strange supervillains. What is the name
> of this green-skinned android, an enemy of Superman since the
> 1950s, who, with his "twelfth-level intellect", seeks to thwart
> or destroy Superman? He also has a shrinking ray that he uses
> to steal cities.

Brainiac. 4 for Dan Blum.

> 4. This imperfect duplicate of Superman has grey or white skin,
> has strange "opposite" speech patterns ("Me love Superman"
> for "I hate Superman"), and is almost as powerful as Superman
> himself. Name him.

Bizarro. (Accepting "Bizarro Superman", since other characters
sometimes had imperfect "bizarro" duplicates as well.) 4 for Joshua,
Dan Blum, Pete, and Dan Tilque.

> 5. Superman was one character on an American animated TV series
> about a team of superheroes that ran from 1973 to 1986. It was
> produced by Hanna-Barbera. Name the series.

"Superfriends". The "Justice League of America" comic books were
also adapted for animated TV, as "Justice League", but that was later.
4 for Joshua and Dan Blum.

> 6. From 1941 to 1943, 17 Superman cartoons were produced by
> Paramount Pictures and this affiliated studio for release in
> movie theaters. Name the other studio.

Fleischer Studios or Famous Studios (the name changed when Paramount
took more control of it). 4 for Joshua.

> 7. Finally, actors that played Superman. Who played him in the
> TV series "The Adventures of Superman", which ran from 1951
> to 1957?

George Reeves. (Not Christopher *Reeve*, who played Superman in
four movies, 1978-87.) 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, Pete, and Dan Tilque.

> 8. Who played Superman in the 1993-97 TV series "Lois and Clark"?

Dean Cain. 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, and Pete.

> 9. Who """plays""" young Clark Kent in the """current""" TV series
> "Smallville", which was first broadcast in 2001?

Tom Welling. (It ended in 2011.) 4 for Joshua.

> 10. Who played Superman in the """recent""" movie "Superman
> Returns"?

Brandon Routh [rhymes with "south"]. (That was in 2006.)
4 for Joshua.

> * Game 9, Round 3 - History - World War II Battles

> We describe a battle, you name the place that it's named after.
> Since battles are named using place names as they were at the
> time, *you must use those names*, not the modern ones if they
> are different. Questions are roughly in chronological order,
> but not exactly.

> 1. By the end of May 1940, almost all of northern France was in
> German hands, and the British army had been forced back against
> the sea. What port did the Germans fail to capture until after
> the bulk of the British forces, and some French, had been able
> to evacuate to England?

Dunkirk (Dunkerque). 4 for everyone -- Joshua, Dan Blum, Erland,
Pete, and Dan Tilque.

It was still a disaster for the British Army, as they had to leave
behind all armaments and equipment that could not be hand-carried.

> 2. After the Germans invaded the USSR, two Soviet cities each
> underwent a prolonged siege, but never fell. In September 1941
> both ends of an isthmus were occupied, isolating the Soviet
> city on the isthmus, which suffered a terrible death toll
> from cold and starvation. The Soviets were able to provide
> some relief via the isthmus's lake side, especially when the
> lake was frozen, but could not drive the enemy off until 1944.
> The other city was on the River Volga, and the Germans did not
> just blockade it but wasted great resources from August 1942
> to February 1943 in trying to capture it, because Hitler had
> given his usual order to keep trying. Name *either* city.

Leningrad, Stalingrad (modern names: St. Petersburg and Volgograd
respectively). 4 for Joshua (the hard way), Dan Blum, Erland (the
hard way), Pete, and Dan Tilque.

Sorry about the very long question there. In the original draft
of the round this was two separate questions, but in that form
they were felt to be too hard.

> 3. The first two sea battles in history where the opposing ships
> were too far apart to see each other took place in May and June
> 1942, as US aircraft carriers fought against Japanese ones.
> In May, at the Coral Sea, the outcome was fairly even. But in
> June, as Japan attempted to capture a US island outpost, all four
> carriers they were using were destroyed. Name that *island*.

Midway. 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, Pete, and Dan Tilque.

> 4. The German forces that landed in North Africa in February 1941
> enjoyed great success at first, but they were stopped in the
> desert 80 miles short of Alexandria, Egypt, in the first major
> success for the British army during the war. The date was
> October 1942; name the place.

El Alamein. 4 for Joshua, Pete, and Dan Tilque. 2 for Dan Blum.

> 5. In July 1943, as the Soviets were beginning to press back the
> German invasion, the Germans attempted a new attack near this
> city north of Kharkov. The result was the biggest tank battle in
> history, involving 6,000 tanks, 4,000 planes, and 2,000,000 men.
> The Germans retreated after a week of fighting and were pretty
> much on the defensive on the Eastern Front for the rest of
> the war. Give the one-syllable name of the city where this
> battle occurred.

Kursk. 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, Pete, and Dan Tilque.

> 6. In Italy a series of battles was fought from January to
> May 1944 as the Allies attempted to break through the Germans'
> Gustav Line and reach Rome. This 6th-century Benedictine abbey,
> being a natural defensive point, was completely destroyed by
> the Allies; it gives its name to the battle.

(Monte) Cassino. 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, Pete, and Dan Tilque.

> 7. In September 1944 the Allies launched an ambitious coordinated
> attack by paratroops and ground forces, codenamed Operation
> Market-Garden. The plan was to capture a certain Dutch city
> along with the road connecting it to the Allied lines, so the
> city could then be used as a spearhead into Germany. But the
> target was "a bridge too far" from the Allied lines and the
> operation failed. What was that Dutch city?

Arnhem. 4 for Dan Blum.

> 8. In December 1944 the Germans launched an offensive against the
> Allied front in the Ardennes, which became known as the Battle of
> the Bulge. American forces in one Belgian city were surrounded,
> but when invited to surrender, Major General Anthony McAuliffe
> simply replied "Nuts!" What city?

Bastogne. 4 for Joshua, Pete, and Dan Tilque.

Four days later, elements of Lieutenent General George Patton's
forces broke through the German lines to relieve Bastogne.

> 9. The battle for this city, which lasted about two weeks in
> April 1945, progressed from street to street and was one of
> the fiercest of the war. What city?

Berlin. 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, Pete, and Dan Tilque.

> 10. This island 650 miles from Tokyo was considered Japanese
> soil. The Japanese had established their army underground,
> with a huge system of bunkers connected by 16 miles of tunnels.
> In February 1945 the Americans landed, and famously captured
> the island's highest point within 4 days; but it was almost a
> month before they controlled the whole island. Name the island.

Iwo Jima. 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, Pete, and Dan Tilque.

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAME 9 ROUNDS-> 2 3 TOTALS
TOPICS-> L+E His
Joshua Kreitzer 36 36 72
Dan Blum 28 34 62
Dan Tilque 16 36 52
Pete Gayde 16 36 52
Erland Sommarskog 0 8 8

--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "I like the other Bobs. Now, if I can only
m...@vex.net | recall which Mark I hate." --Al Fargnoli