Calvin's Quiz #339 - Film Quotes

calvin

Jan 25, 2014, 4:57:51 PM1/25/14

Name the film this famous quote comes from.

1 Listen, strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for
a system of government. (1975)
2 What we've got here is a failure to communicate. (1967)
3 I'll have what she's having. (1989)
4 That'll do, pig, that'll do. (1995)
5 These go to eleven. (1984)
6 To Infinity and Beyond! (1995)
7 Gentlemen, you can't fight in here. This is the War Room. (1964)
8 You're gonna need a bigger boat. (1975)
9 There's no crying in baseball! (1992)
10 Wait a minute, wait a minute, you ain't heard nothin' yet! (1927)

--
cheers,
calvin

Mark Brader

Jan 25, 2014, 5:26:32 PM1/25/14
"Calvin":
> Name the film this famous quote comes from.

Well, this was a bit easier!

> 1 Listen, strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is
> no basis for a system of government. (1975)

"Monty Python and the Holy Grail".

> 2 What we've got here is a failure to communicate. (1967)

"Cool Hand Luke". (He doesn't say "a", he just pauses.)

> 3 I'll have what she's having. (1989)

"When Harry Met Sally".

> 4 That'll do, pig, that'll do. (1995)

"Babe".

> 5 These go to eleven. (1984)

"This is Spinal Tap".

> 6 To Infinity and Beyond! (1995)

"Toy Story".

> 7 Gentlemen, you can't fight in here. This is the War Room. (1964)

"Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb".

> 8 You're gonna need a bigger boat. (1975)

"Jaws".

> 9 There's no crying in baseball! (1992)

"A League of Their Own".

> 10 Wait a minute, wait a minute, you ain't heard nothin' yet! (1927)

"The Jazz Singer".
--
Mark Brader "Unfortunately for the grass, the cold water is
Toronto moving at over half the speed of sound."

Erland Sommarskog

Jan 25, 2014, 5:34:44 PM1/25/14
calvin (334...@gmail.com) writes:
> 10 Wait a minute, wait a minute, you ain't heard nothin' yet! (1927)

No, of course, in 1927, no one hadn't heard anything being said in a film!

Mark Brader

Jan 25, 2014, 5:52:32 PM1/25/14
Erland Sommarskog:

That was exactly the point. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0018037/
--
Mark Brader | "As long as they can annoy people into buying their
Toronto | software ... Microsoft faces the tradeoff of spending
| It's not a hard choice." --Jonathan Goldberg

Jeffrey Turner

Jan 25, 2014, 6:56:56 PM1/25/14
On 1/25/2014 4:57 PM, calvin wrote:

> Name the film this famous quote comes from.
>

> 1 Listen, strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no
> basis for a system of government. (1975)
Monty Python and the Holy Grail
> 2 What we've got here is a failure to communicate. (1967)
The Graduate
> 3 I'll have what she's having. (1989)
When Harry Met Sally
> 4 That'll do, pig, that'll do. (1995)
Babe
> 5 These go to eleven. (1984)
> 6 To Infinity and Beyond! (1995)
Toy Story
> 7 Gentlemen, you can't fight in here. This is the War Room. (1964)
Dr Strangelove
> 8 You're gonna need a bigger boat. (1975)
The Poseidon Adventure
> 9 There's no crying in baseball! (1992)
A League of Their Own
> 10 Wait a minute, wait a minute, you ain't heard nothin' yet! (1927)

--Jeff

Dan Tilque

Jan 25, 2014, 9:58:49 PM1/25/14
calvin wrote:

> Name the film this famous quote comes from.
>

> 1 Listen, strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no
> basis for a system of government. (1975)

Monty Python and the Holy Grail

> 2 What we've got here is a failure to communicate. (1967)

The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly ?

> 3 I'll have what she's having. (1989)
> 4 That'll do, pig, that'll do. (1995)

The Usual Suspects ?

> 5 These go to eleven. (1984)
> 6 To Infinity and Beyond! (1995)

Toy Story

> 7 Gentlemen, you can't fight in here. This is the War Room. (1964)

Dr Strangelove

> 8 You're gonna need a bigger boat. (1975)

Jaws

> 9 There's no crying in baseball! (1992)

A League of Their Own

> 10 Wait a minute, wait a minute, you ain't heard nothin' yet! (1927)

The Jazz Singer ?

--
Dan Tilque

Helix, if everything goes according to plan, the plan has been
compromised. -- Sam Starfall in "Freefall"

swp

Jan 25, 2014, 10:45:58 PM1/25/14
On Saturday, January 25, 2014 4:57:51 PM UTC-5, Calvin wrote:
> Name the film this famous quote comes from.
>
> 1 Listen, strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for
> a system of government. (1975)

monty python and the holy grail

> 2 What we've got here is a failure to communicate. (1967)

cool hand luke

> 3 I'll have what she's having. (1989)

when harry met sally

> 4 That'll do, pig, that'll do. (1995)

babe?

> 5 These go to eleven. (1984)

spinal tap (tap lives!)

> 6 To Infinity and Beyond! (1995)

toy story

> 7 Gentlemen, you can't fight in here. This is the War Room. (1964)

dr strangelove

> 8 You're gonna need a bigger boat. (1975)

jaws

> 9 There's no crying in baseball! (1992)

a league of their own

> 10 Wait a minute, wait a minute, you ain't heard nothin' yet! (1927)

the jazz singer (al jolsen)

swp

Marc Dashevsky

Jan 25, 2014, 11:09:57 PM1/25/14
In article <op.w99japdm2wood3@homepc>, 334...@gmail.com says...

> Name the film this famous quote comes from.
>

> 1 Listen, strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for
> a system of government. (1975)
Monty Python and the Holy Grail

> 2 What we've got here is a failure to communicate. (1967)
Cool Hand Luke

> 3 I'll have what she's having. (1989)
When Harry Met Sally

> 4 That'll do, pig, that'll do. (1995)
Babe

> 5 These go to eleven. (1984)
This Is Spinal Tap

> 6 To Infinity and Beyond! (1995)
Toy Story

> 7 Gentlemen, you can't fight in here. This is the War Room. (1964)
Dr, Strangelove or How I . . .

> 8 You're gonna need a bigger boat. (1975)
Jaws

> 9 There's no crying in baseball! (1992)
A League of Their Own

> 10 Wait a minute, wait a minute, you ain't heard nothin' yet! (1927)
The Jazz Singer

Joshua Kreitzer

Jan 26, 2014, 12:04:59 AM1/26/14
calvin <334...@gmail.com> wrote in news:op.w99japdm2wood3@homepc:

> Name the film this famous quote comes from.
>

> 1 Listen, strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no
> basis for a system of government. (1975)

"Monty Python and the Holy Grail"

> 2 What we've got here is a failure to communicate. (1967)

"Cool Hand Luke"

> 3 I'll have what she's having. (1989)

"When Harry Met Sally ..."

> 4 That'll do, pig, that'll do. (1995)

"Babe"

> 5 These go to eleven. (1984)

"This Is Spinal Tap"

> 6 To Infinity and Beyond! (1995)

"Toy Story"

> 7 Gentlemen, you can't fight in here. This is the War Room. (1964)

"Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb"

> 8 You're gonna need a bigger boat. (1975)

"Jaws"

> 9 There's no crying in baseball! (1992)

"A League of Their Own"

> 10 Wait a minute, wait a minute, you ain't heard nothin' yet!
> (1927)

"The Jazz Singer"

--
Joshua Kreitzer
grom...@hotmail.com

Peter Smyth

Jan 26, 2014, 5:27:26 AM1/26/14
calvin wrote:

> Name the film this famous quote comes from.
>

> 1 Listen, strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no
> basis for a system of government. (1975)
Monty Python and the Holy Grail
> 2 What we've got here is a failure to communicate. (1967)
> 3 I'll have what she's having. (1989)
When Harry Met Sally
> 4 That'll do, pig, that'll do. (1995)
Babe
> 5 These go to eleven. (1984)
Spinal Tap
> 6 To Infinity and Beyond! (1995)
Toy Story
> 7 Gentlemen, you can't fight in here. This is the War Room. (1964)
Dr Strangelove
> 8 You're gonna need a bigger boat. (1975)
> 9 There's no crying in baseball! (1992)
> 10 Wait a minute, wait a minute, you ain't heard nothin' yet! (1927)

Peter Smyth

Pete

Jan 26, 2014, 3:16:13 PM1/26/14
calvin <334...@gmail.com> wrote in news:op.w99japdm2wood3@homepc:

> Name the film this famous quote comes from.
>

> 1 Listen, strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no
> basis for a system of government. (1975)

Monty Python and the Holy Grail

> 2 What we've got here is a failure to communicate. (1967)

Cool Hand Luke

> 3 I'll have what she's having. (1989)

When Harry Met Sally

> 4 That'll do, pig, that'll do. (1995)

Muppets Take Manhattan

> 5 These go to eleven. (1984)

This is Spinal Tap

> 6 To Infinity and Beyond! (1995)

Toy Story

> 7 Gentlemen, you can't fight in here. This is the War Room. (1964)

Dr Strangelove

> 8 You're gonna need a bigger boat. (1975)

Jaws

> 9 There's no crying in baseball! (1992)

A League of Their Own

> 10 Wait a minute, wait a minute, you ain't heard nothin' yet!
> (1927)

The Jazz Singer

Pete

Gareth Owen

Jan 26, 2014, 4:24:34 PM1/26/14
calvin <334...@gmail.com> writes:

> Name the film this famous quote comes from.
>

> 1 Listen, strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis
> for a system of government. (1975)

Monty Python and the Holy Grail.

Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not some
farcical aquatic ceremony. If I went around saying I was an Emperor
because some moistened bint lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd lock me up.

I laugh just thinking of the inflection Michael Palin puts on "some
moistened bint"

I really need to get out more.

> 2 What we've got here is a failure to communicate. (1967)

Cool Hand Luke

> 3 I'll have what she's having. (1989)

When Harry Met Sally

> 4 That'll do, pig, that'll do. (1995)

Babe

> 5 These go to eleven. (1984)

This Is Spinal Tap

Well, it's one louder, isn't it?

> 6 To Infinity and Beyond! (1995)

Toy Story

> 7 Gentlemen, you can't fight in here. This is the War Room. (1964)

Doctor Strangelove, or How I Learned To Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb

> 8 You're gonna need a bigger boat. (1975)

Jaws

> 9 There's no crying in baseball! (1992)

A League Of Their Own

> 10 Wait a minute, wait a minute, you ain't heard nothin' yet! (1927)

The Jazz Singer

Rob Parker

Jan 26, 2014, 5:15:08 PM1/26/14
> 1 Listen, strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for
> a system of government. (1975)

Monty Python and the Holy Grail

> 2 What we've got here is a failure to communicate. (1967)

Cool Hand Luke

> 3 I'll have what she's having. (1989)

some chick flick ;-)

> 4 That'll do, pig, that'll do. (1995)

Babe (?)

> 5 These go to eleven. (1984)

This is Spinal Tap

> 6 To Infinity and Beyond! (1995)

Toy Story

> 7 Gentlemen, you can't fight in here. This is the War Room. (1964)

Dr. Strangelove (or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb)

> 8 You're gonna need a bigger boat. (1975)

The African Queen (?)

> 9 There's no crying in baseball! (1992)

Little League (?)

> 10 Wait a minute, wait a minute, you ain't heard nothin' yet! (1927)

The Jazz Singer
[What else could it be in 1927]

Rob

calvin

Jan 29, 2014, 6:49:39 PM1/29/14

lol @ The Muppets Take Manhattan :-)

> 5 These go to eleven. (1984)

Spinal Tap

> 6 To Infinity and Beyond! (1995)

Toy Story

> 7 Gentlemen, you can't fight in here. This is the War Room. (1964)

Dr Strangelove, or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb

> 8 You're gonna need a bigger boat. (1975)

Jaws

> 9 There's no crying in baseball! (1992)

A League of Their Own

> 10 Wait a minute, wait a minute, you ain't heard nothin' yet! (1927)

The Jazz Singer

Q1 Q2 Q3 Q4 Q5 Q6 Q7 Q8 Q9 Q10 TOTAL TB Quiz 339
1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 10 84 Gareth Owen
1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 10 84 Stephen Perry
1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 10 84 Mark Brader
1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 10 84 Marc Dashevsky
1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 10 84 Joshua Kreitzer
1 1 1 0 1 1 1 1 1 1 9 76 Pete Gayde
1 1 0 1 1 1 1 0 0 1 7 61 Rob Parker
1 0 0 0 0 1 1 1 1 1 6 53 Dan Tilque
1 0 1 1 1 1 1 0 0 0 6 54 Peter Smyth
1 0 1 1 0 1 1 0 1 0 6 54 Jeffrey Turner
- - - - - - - - - - --- ----------
10 7 8 8 8 10 10 7 8 8 84 84%

Well done tens.

--
cheers,
calvin

Mark Brader

Jan 29, 2014, 7:23:37 PM1/29/14
"Calvin":
> Spinal Tap
> Well done tens.

Well, if you're going to treat half the answer as correct...
personally, I'd say that only goes up to 5.5.
--
Mark Brader | "...it's always easier to see the mud when it's
Toronto | coming toward your side rather than from your side."

calvin

Jan 31, 2014, 3:41:09 AM1/31/14
On Thu, 30 Jan 2014 10:23:37 +1000, Mark Brader <m...@vex.net> wrote:

> "Calvin":
>> Spinal Tap
>> Well done tens.
>
> Well, if you're going to treat half the answer as correct...
> personally, I'd say that only goes up to 5.5.

Indeed. "This is Spinal Tap" to be precise, though the last two words were
sufficient.

--
cheers,
calvin