QFTCI16 Current Events 5-6

Mark Brader

Jun 28, 2016, 6:15:33 AM6/28/16
These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on the dates
indicated below, and should be interpreted accordingly. If any
answers have changed due to newer news, you are still expected to
give the answers that were correct on those dates.

Please post all your answers in a single followup to the newsgroup,
the correct answers in about 3 days.

All questions were written by members of the Bloor St. Irregulars,
and are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may
have been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information
see my recent companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

* Game 5 (2016-06-20), Round 1 - Current Events

1. At the 70th Tony Awards last Sunday, which show won Best Musical?

2. Microsoft announced last week that it would buy which social
media company, for $26,200,000,000?

3. Kathleen Wynne shuffled her cabinet last week. We could ask you
to name one of the ministers, but let's face it, most of them
are pretty forgettable. So just tell us how big the cabinet
currently is, including the Premier herself, within 1 in either
direction.

4. An Irishman named Jack Conway recently discovered 10 kilograms
(22 pounds) of *what* buried in a bog? The find, which
surprisingly enough is reportedly not unique, has been estimated
to be around 2,000 years old.

5. It was widely reported last week, though not officially
confirmed, that the NHL would add a franchise in *what city*,
which currently represents the largest North American market
without a major-league sports team?

6. Police and firefighters in Brockville were called out last week
to put a stop to an argument between a woman and her boyfriend's
father, as it was turning violent -- a propane tank was thrown
into a campfire at one point. *What topic of discussion*
led to this heated fracas?

7. Why was 94-year-old Reinhold Hanning in the news last week?
Be sufficiently specific.

8. Either tell us which 1970s rocker and sometime actor collapsed
mid-song on an Edmonton stage last week, or tell us which singer
fell into a hole in a Saskatoon stage, apparently while adjusting
his pants. You don't need to say which one you're referring to.

9. Who is the British Labour Party MP who was murdered last
Thursday, apparently for political motives in the midst of the
rancorous campaign over the so-called Brexit?

10. A new series of public-service ads sponsored by the Government
of Ontario, and only airing after 8:00 pm, was rolled out
on Thursday. What problem are the ads targeting?

After completing the round, please decode the rot13: Ba gur ynfg
dhrfgvba, vs lbh fnvq fbzrguvat yvxr qnatrebhf qevivat, cyrnfr tb
onpx naq or zber fcrpvsvp.

* Game 6 (2016-06-27), Round 1 - Current Events

Welcome to the midpoint of the Summer 2016 trivia season. It's been
quite a week: the UK decided that the Continent will be permanently
cut off by fog in the Channel; the NHL, we assume, is shocked --
shocked! -- to learn that gambling has been going on in Las Vegas;
and not even Bernie is feeling the Bern any more. No fallen sports
superheroes, though, thank goodness.

Those are a few things that you won't be asked about in tonight's
current events -- now let's see what *is* on tap.

1. Who is the 27-year-old Star Trek actor who died last weekend in
a freak accident in which his Jeep Grand Cherokee, a model that
is subject to a recall, rolled back and pinned him against a
pillar outside his house?

2. What did Toronto police chief Mark Saunders offer an apology
for last Wednesday?

3. 52 seems to have been a karmic number last week: 52% of Britons
voted to Brexit, Cleveland won a major-league sports championship
for the first time in 52 years, and a ceasefire agreement was
signed to end (officially, at least) a conflict that had also
lasted 52 years. In what country did this armistice take place?

4. A pregnant woman, an avocado, Mrs. Santa Claus, and a gorilla
made the cut, but a rifle didn't. What set of things are we
referring to?

5. Netflix and the CBC announced last week that filming would begin
later this summer on a miniseries based on what Canadian novel?
Sarah Polley is the producer.

6. What was unusual about a concert given last week by Italian
composer and pianist Ludovico Einaudi ["en-OW-dee"]?

7. Which organization last week made a $5,000,000 gift to the Hot
Docs Festival, thereby giving it the funds to buy the Bloor
Hot Docs Cinema?

8. Corey Lewandowski lost his job last Monday. What had he been
doing prior to this summary dismissal?

9. It wasn't John Bradley, it was Harold Schultz after all.
"After all" in this case means 61 years after the event in
question. What Second World War event are we referring to?

10. The Leafs may have traded away future draft picks to pick
up goaltender Frederik Anderson from Anaheim, but last Friday
they did exercise their 2016 entry draft first-round #1 pick --
to select what 18-year-old player?

--
Mark Brader, Toronto "Yet Another Wonderful Novelty -- YAWN!"
m...@vex.net -- Liam Quin

bbowler

Jun 28, 2016, 10:12:49 AM6/28/16
On Tue, 28 Jun 2016 05:15:29 -0500, Mark Brader wrote:

> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on the dates
> indicated below, and should be interpreted accordingly. If any answers
> have changed due to newer news, you are still expected to give the
> answers that were correct on those dates.
>
> On each question you may give up to two answers, but if you give both a
> right answer and a wrong answer, there is a small penalty. Please post
> all your answers in a single followup to the newsgroup, based only on
> your own knowledge. (In your answer posting, quote the questions and
> place your answer below each one.) I will reveal the correct answers in
> about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of the Bloor St. Irregulars, and
> are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have been
> retyped and/or edited by me. For further information see my recent
> companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>

> * Game 5 (2016-06-20), Round 1 - Current Events
>
> 1. At the 70th Tony Awards last Sunday, which show won Best Musical?

Hamilton

> 2. Microsoft announced last week that it would buy which social
> media company, for $26,200,000,000?

Linked In

> 3. Kathleen Wynne shuffled her cabinet last week. We could ask you
> to name one of the ministers, but let's face it, most of them are
> pretty forgettable. So just tell us how big the cabinet currently
> is, including the Premier herself, within 1 in either direction.
>
> 4. An Irishman named Jack Conway recently discovered 10 kilograms
> (22 pounds) of *what* buried in a bog? The find, which surprisingly
> enough is reportedly not unique, has been estimated to be around
> 2,000 years old.

Butter

> 5. It was widely reported last week, though not officially
> confirmed, that the NHL would add a franchise in *what city*, which
> currently represents the largest North American market without a
> major-league sports team?

Las Vegas

> 6. Police and firefighters in Brockville were called out last week
> to put a stop to an argument between a woman and her boyfriend's
> father, as it was turning violent -- a propane tank was thrown into a
> campfire at one point. *What topic of discussion*
> led to this heated fracas?
>
> 7. Why was 94-year-old Reinhold Hanning in the news last week?
> Be sufficiently specific.
>
> 8. Either tell us which 1970s rocker and sometime actor collapsed
> mid-song on an Edmonton stage last week, or tell us which singer fell
> into a hole in a Saskatoon stage, apparently while adjusting his
> pants. You don't need to say which one you're referring to.

Meatloaf

> 9. Who is the British Labour Party MP who was murdered last
> Thursday, apparently for political motives in the midst of the
> rancorous campaign over the so-called Brexit?

Jo something
unicode Emojis

> 5. Netflix and the CBC announced last week that filming would begin
> later this summer on a miniseries based on what Canadian novel? Sarah
> Polley is the producer.
>
> 6. What was unusual about a concert given last week by Italian
> composer and pianist Ludovico Einaudi ["en-OW-dee"]?

He was playing a piano floating on ice

> 7. Which organization last week made a $5,000,000 gift to the Hot
> Docs Festival, thereby giving it the funds to buy the Bloor Hot Docs
> Cinema?
>
> 8. Corey Lewandowski lost his job last Monday. What had he been
> doing prior to this summary dismissal?

"managing" Donald Trumps "campaign"

> 9. It wasn't John Bradley, it was Harold Schultz after all.
> "After all" in this case means 61 years after the event in question.
> What Second World War event are we referring to?

Raising the flag on Iwo Jima

Pete

Jun 28, 2016, 1:48:25 PM6/28/16
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:PoidnaEHxYTc0-_KnZ2dnUU7-
THN...@giganews.com:

> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on the dates
> indicated below, and should be interpreted accordingly. If any
> answers have changed due to newer news, you are still expected to
> give the answers that were correct on those dates.

> Please post all your answers in a single followup to the newsgroup,
> the correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of the Bloor St. Irregulars,
> and are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may
> have been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information
> see my recent companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>

> * Game 5 (2016-06-20), Round 1 - Current Events
>
> 1. At the 70th Tony Awards last Sunday, which show won Best Musical?

Hamilton

> 2. Microsoft announced last week that it would buy which social
> media company, for $26,200,000,000?

LinkedIn

> 3. Kathleen Wynne shuffled her cabinet last week. We could ask you
> to name one of the ministers, but let's face it, most of them
> are pretty forgettable. So just tell us how big the cabinet
> currently is, including the Premier herself, within 1 in either
> direction.
>
> 4. An Irishman named Jack Conway recently discovered 10 kilograms
> (22 pounds) of *what* buried in a bog? The find, which
> surprisingly enough is reportedly not unique, has been estimated
> to be around 2,000 years old.

Butter

> 5. It was widely reported last week, though not officially
> confirmed, that the NHL would add a franchise in *what city*,
> which currently represents the largest North American market
> without a major-league sports team?

Las Vegas

> 6. Police and firefighters in Brockville were called out last week
> to put a stop to an argument between a woman and her boyfriend's
> father, as it was turning violent -- a propane tank was thrown
> into a campfire at one point. *What topic of discussion*
> led to this heated fracas?

Asking for approval to propose marriage

> 7. Why was 94-year-old Reinhold Hanning in the news last week?
> Be sufficiently specific.

Convicted concentration camp soldier

> 8. Either tell us which 1970s rocker and sometime actor collapsed
> mid-song on an Edmonton stage last week, or tell us which singer
> fell into a hole in a Saskatoon stage, apparently while adjusting
> his pants. You don't need to say which one you're referring to.
>
> 9. Who is the British Labour Party MP who was murdered last
> Thursday, apparently for political motives in the midst of the
> rancorous campaign over the so-called Brexit?

Jo Cox
Colombia

> 4. A pregnant woman, an avocado, Mrs. Santa Claus, and a gorilla
> made the cut, but a rifle didn't. What set of things are we
> referring to?
>
> 5. Netflix and the CBC announced last week that filming would begin
> later this summer on a miniseries based on what Canadian novel?
> Sarah Polley is the producer.
>
> 6. What was unusual about a concert given last week by Italian
> composer and pianist Ludovico Einaudi ["en-OW-dee"]?
>
> 7. Which organization last week made a $5,000,000 gift to the Hot
> Docs Festival, thereby giving it the funds to buy the Bloor
> Hot Docs Cinema?
>
> 8. Corey Lewandowski lost his job last Monday. What had he been
> doing prior to this summary dismissal?

Leading Donald Trump's campaign

> 9. It wasn't John Bradley, it was Harold Schultz after all.
> "After all" in this case means 61 years after the event in
> question. What Second World War event are we referring to?

Raising the US flag on Iwo Jima

> 10. The Leafs may have traded away future draft picks to pick
> up goaltender Frederik Anderson from Anaheim, but last Friday
> they did exercise their 2016 entry draft first-round #1 pick --
> to select what 18-year-old player?

Pete Gayde

Peter Smyth

Jun 28, 2016, 2:11:31 PM6/28/16
Mark Brader wrote:

> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on the dates
> indicated below, and should be interpreted accordingly. If any
> answers have changed due to newer news, you are still expected to
> give the answers that were correct on those dates.

> Please post all your answers in a single followup to the newsgroup,
> the correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of the Bloor St. Irregulars,
> and are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may
> have been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information
> see my recent companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>

> * Game 5 (2016-06-20), Round 1 - Current Events
>
> 1. At the 70th Tony Awards last Sunday, which show won Best Musical?
Hamilton
> 2. Microsoft announced last week that it would buy which social
> media company, for $26,200,000,000?
Linked In
> 3. Kathleen Wynne shuffled her cabinet last week. We could ask you
> to name one of the ministers, but let's face it, most of them
> are pretty forgettable. So just tell us how big the cabinet
> currently is, including the Premier herself, within 1 in either
> direction.
10, 13
> 4. An Irishman named Jack Conway recently discovered 10 kilograms
> (22 pounds) of what buried in a bog? The find, which
> surprisingly enough is reportedly not unique, has been estimated
> to be around 2,000 years old.
>
> 5. It was widely reported last week, though not officially
> confirmed, that the NHL would add a franchise in *what city*,
> which currently represents the largest North American market
> without a major-league sports team?
Las Vegas
> 6. Police and firefighters in Brockville were called out last week
> to put a stop to an argument between a woman and her boyfriend's
> father, as it was turning violent -- a propane tank was thrown
> into a campfire at one point. *What topic of discussion*
> led to this heated fracas?
Donald Trump
> 7. Why was 94-year-old Reinhold Hanning in the news last week?
> Be sufficiently specific.
Found guilty of war crimes
> 8. Either tell us which 1970s rocker and sometime actor collapsed
> mid-song on an Edmonton stage last week, or tell us which singer
> fell into a hole in a Saskatoon stage, apparently while adjusting
> his pants. You don't need to say which one you're referring to.
Meatloaf
> 9. Who is the British Labour Party MP who was murdered last
> Thursday, apparently for political motives in the midst of the
> rancorous campaign over the so-called Brexit?
Jo Cox
> 10. A new series of public-service ads sponsored by the Government
> of Ontario, and only airing after 8:00 pm, was rolled out
> on Thursday. What problem are the ads targeting?
STDs
> After completing the round, please decode the rot13: On the last
> question, if you said something like dangerous driving, please go
> back and be more specific.
>
> * Game 6 (2016-06-27), Round 1 - Current Events
>
> Welcome to the midpoint of the Summer 2016 trivia season. It's been
> quite a week: the UK decided that the Continent will be permanently
> cut off by fog in the Channel; the NHL, we assume, is shocked --
> shocked! -- to learn that gambling has been going on in Las Vegas;
> and not even Bernie is feeling the Bern any more. No fallen sports
> superheroes, though, thank goodness.
>
> Those are a few things that you won't be asked about in tonight's
> current events -- now let's see what is on tap.
>
> 1. Who is the 27-year-old Star Trek actor who died last weekend in
> a freak accident in which his Jeep Grand Cherokee, a model that
> is subject to a recall, rolled back and pinned him against a
> pillar outside his house?
the guy who played Chekhov
> 2. What did Toronto police chief Mark Saunders offer an apology
> for last Wednesday?
>
> 3. 52 seems to have been a karmic number last week: 52% of Britons
> voted to Brexit, Cleveland won a major-league sports championship
> for the first time in 52 years, and a ceasefire agreement was
> signed to end (officially, at least) a conflict that had also
> lasted 52 years. In what country did this armistice take place?
Vietnam
> 4. A pregnant woman, an avocado, Mrs. Santa Claus, and a gorilla
> made the cut, but a rifle didn't. What set of things are we
> referring to?
>
> 5. Netflix and the CBC announced last week that filming would begin
> later this summer on a miniseries based on what Canadian novel?
> Sarah Polley is the producer.
>
> 6. What was unusual about a concert given last week by Italian
> composer and pianist Ludovico Einaudi ["en-OW-dee"]?
They forgot to arrange a piano
> 7. Which organization last week made a $5,000,000 gift to the Hot
> Docs Festival, thereby giving it the funds to buy the Bloor
> Hot Docs Cinema?
>
> 8. Corey Lewandowski lost his job last Monday. What had he been
> doing prior to this summary dismissal?
working for Donald Trump
> 9. It wasn't John Bradley, it was Harold Schultz after all.
> "After all" in this case means 61 years after the event in
> question. What Second World War event are we referring to?
>
> 10. The Leafs may have traded away future draft picks to pick
> up goaltender Frederik Anderson from Anaheim, but last Friday
> they did exercise their 2016 entry draft first-round #1 pick --
> to select what 18-year-old player?

Peter SMyth

Erland Sommarskog

Jun 28, 2016, 3:33:36 PM6/28/16
Mark Brader (m...@vex.net) writes:
> * Game 5 (2016-06-20), Round 1 - Current Events
>
> 2. Microsoft announced last week that it would buy which social
> media company, for $26,200,000,000?

LinkedIn

> 3. Kathleen Wynne shuffled her cabinet last week. We could ask you
> to name one of the ministers, but let's face it, most of them
> are pretty forgettable. So just tell us how big the cabinet
> currently is, including the Premier herself, within 1 in either
> direction.

24

> 5. It was widely reported last week, though not officially
> confirmed, that the NHL would add a franchise in *what city*,
> which currently represents the largest North American market
> without a major-league sports team?

St Antonio

> 6. Police and firefighters in Brockville were called out last week
> to put a stop to an argument between a woman and her boyfriend's
> father, as it was turning violent -- a propane tank was thrown
> into a campfire at one point. *What topic of discussion*
> led to this heated fracas?

The flavour of the barbeque sauce.

> 7. Why was 94-year-old Reinhold Hanning in the news last week?
> Be sufficiently specific.

Sentenced for being a guard a holocaust site in WWII.

> 8. Either tell us which 1970s rocker and sometime actor collapsed
> mid-song on an Edmonton stage last week, or tell us which singer
> fell into a hole in a Saskatoon stage, apparently while adjusting
> his pants. You don't need to say which one you're referring to.

Meat Loaf

> 9. Who is the British Labour Party MP who was murdered last
> Thursday, apparently for political motives in the midst of the
> rancorous campaign over the so-called Brexit?

Jo Cox

> 10. A new series of public-service ads sponsored by the Government
> of Ontario, and only airing after 8:00 pm, was rolled out
> on Thursday. What problem are the ads targeting?

"Hey baby, it's a quarter to eight, and I'm feel I'm in the mood.
Hey baby, the hour is late, and I'm feel I'm in the mood."

(And, yes, there is a Canadian connection.)

> After completing the round, please decode the rot13: Ba gur ynfg
> dhrfgvba, vs lbh fnvq fbzrguvat yvxr qnatrebhf qevivat, cyrnfr tb
> onpx naq or zber fcrpvsvp.
>
> * Game 6 (2016-06-27), Round 1 - Current Events
>
> 3. 52 seems to have been a karmic number last week: 52% of Britons
> voted to Brexit, Cleveland won a major-league sports championship
> for the first time in 52 years, and a ceasefire agreement was
> signed to end (officially, at least) a conflict that had also
> lasted 52 years. In what country did this armistice take place?

Colombia

> 8. Corey Lewandowski lost his job last Monday. What had he been
> doing prior to this summary dismissal?

Campaign leader for Donald Trump

Joshua Kreitzer

Jun 28, 2016, 7:16:58 PM6/28/16
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:PoidnaEHxYTc0-_KnZ2dnUU7-
THN...@giganews.com:

> * Game 5 (2016-06-20), Round 1 - Current Events
>
> 1. At the 70th Tony Awards last Sunday, which show won Best Musical?

"Hamilton"

> 2. Microsoft announced last week that it would buy which social
> media company, for $26,200,000,000?

LinkedIn

> 3. Kathleen Wynne shuffled her cabinet last week. We could ask you
> to name one of the ministers, but let's face it, most of them
> are pretty forgettable. So just tell us how big the cabinet
> currently is, including the Premier herself, within 1 in either
> direction.

15; 18

> 5. It was widely reported last week, though not officially
> confirmed, that the NHL would add a franchise in *what city*,
> which currently represents the largest North American market
> without a major-league sports team?

Las Vegas

> 6. Police and firefighters in Brockville were called out last week
> to put a stop to an argument between a woman and her boyfriend's
> father, as it was turning violent -- a propane tank was thrown
> into a campfire at one point. *What topic of discussion*
> led to this heated fracas?

Donald Trump (?)

> 8. Either tell us which 1970s rocker and sometime actor collapsed
> mid-song on an Edmonton stage last week, or tell us which singer
> fell into a hole in a Saskatoon stage, apparently while adjusting
> his pants. You don't need to say which one you're referring to.

Meat Loaf

> 9. Who is the British Labour Party MP who was murdered last
> Thursday, apparently for political motives in the midst of the
> rancorous campaign over the so-called Brexit?

Jo Cox

> * Game 6 (2016-06-27), Round 1 - Current Events
>
> 1. Who is the 27-year-old Star Trek actor who died last weekend in
> a freak accident in which his Jeep Grand Cherokee, a model that
> is subject to a recall, rolled back and pinned him against a
> pillar outside his house?

Anton Yelchin

> 3. 52 seems to have been a karmic number last week: 52% of Britons
> voted to Brexit, Cleveland won a major-league sports championship
> for the first time in 52 years, and a ceasefire agreement was
> signed to end (officially, at least) a conflict that had also
> lasted 52 years. In what country did this armistice take place?

Colombia

> 5. Netflix and the CBC announced last week that filming would begin
> later this summer on a miniseries based on what Canadian novel?
> Sarah Polley is the producer.

"Anne of Green Gables"

> 8. Corey Lewandowski lost his job last Monday. What had he been
> doing prior to this summary dismissal?

managing Donald Trump's presidential campaign

> 9. It wasn't John Bradley, it was Harold Schultz after all.
> "After all" in this case means 61 years after the event in
> question. What Second World War event are we referring to?

raising the flag on Iwo Jima
(and make that 71 years ago)

--
Joshua Kreitzer
grom...@hotmail.com

Dan Tilque

Jun 28, 2016, 11:12:18 PM6/28/16
Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 5 (2016-06-20), Round 1 - Current Events
>
> 1. At the 70th Tony Awards last Sunday, which show won Best Musical?
>
> 2. Microsoft announced last week that it would buy which social
> media company, for $26,200,000,000?
>
> 3. Kathleen Wynne shuffled her cabinet last week. We could ask you
> to name one of the ministers, but let's face it, most of them
> are pretty forgettable. So just tell us how big the cabinet
> currently is, including the Premier herself, within 1 in either
> direction.
>
> 4. An Irishman named Jack Conway recently discovered 10 kilograms
> (22 pounds) of *what* buried in a bog? The find, which
> surprisingly enough is reportedly not unique, has been estimated
> to be around 2,000 years old.

amber

> 5. It was widely reported last week, though not officially
> confirmed, that the NHL would add a franchise in *what city*,
> which currently represents the largest North American market
> without a major-league sports team?

Las Vegas

> 6. Police and firefighters in Brockville were called out last week
> to put a stop to an argument between a woman and her boyfriend's
> father, as it was turning violent -- a propane tank was thrown
> into a campfire at one point. *What topic of discussion*
> led to this heated fracas?

Whether the Earth is flat
Laos

> 4. A pregnant woman, an avocado, Mrs. Santa Claus, and a gorilla
> made the cut, but a rifle didn't. What set of things are we
> referring to?
>
> 5. Netflix and the CBC announced last week that filming would begin
> later this summer on a miniseries based on what Canadian novel?
> Sarah Polley is the producer.
>
> 6. What was unusual about a concert given last week by Italian
> composer and pianist Ludovico Einaudi ["en-OW-dee"]?
>
> 7. Which organization last week made a $5,000,000 gift to the Hot
> Docs Festival, thereby giving it the funds to buy the Bloor
> Hot Docs Cinema?
>
> 8. Corey Lewandowski lost his job last Monday. What had he been
> doing prior to this summary dismissal?

Donald Trump's campaign manager

> 9. It wasn't John Bradley, it was Harold Schultz after all.
> "After all" in this case means 61 years after the event in
> question. What Second World War event are we referring to?

celebratory kiss (and I'd expect it was 71 years, since it was WWII)

> 10. The Leafs may have traded away future draft picks to pick
> up goaltender Frederik Anderson from Anaheim, but last Friday
> they did exercise their 2016 entry draft first-round #1 pick --
> to select what 18-year-old player?

--
Dan Tilque

Mark Brader

Jul 1, 2016, 5:19:00 AM7/1/16
Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on the dates
> indicated below, and should be interpreted accordingly. If any
> answers have changed due to newer news, you are still expected to
> give the answers that were correct on those dates... For further
> information see my recent companion posting on "Questions from
> the Canadian Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

> * Game 5 (2016-06-20), Round 1 - Current Events

> 1. At the 70th Tony Awards last Sunday, which show won Best Musical?

"Hamilton". 4 for Bruce, Pete, Peter, and Joshua.

> 2. Microsoft announced last week that it would buy which social
> media company, for $26,200,000,000?

LinkedIn. 4 for Bruce, Pete, Peter, Erland, and Joshua.

> 3. Kathleen Wynne shuffled her cabinet last week. We could ask you
> to name one of the ministers, but let's face it, most of them
> are pretty forgettable. So just tell us how big the cabinet
> currently is, including the Premier herself, within 1 in either
> direction.

30 (accepting 29-31).

> 4. An Irishman named Jack Conway recently discovered 10 kilograms
> (22 pounds) of *what* buried in a bog? The find, which
> surprisingly enough is reportedly not unique, has been estimated
> to be around 2,000 years old.

Butter. 4 for Bruce and Pete.

> 5. It was widely reported last week, though not officially
> confirmed, that the NHL would add a franchise in *what city*,
> which currently represents the largest North American market
> without a major-league sports team?

Las Vegas. 4 for Bruce, Pete, Peter, Joshua, and Dan.

> 6. Police and firefighters in Brockville were called out last week
> to put a stop to an argument between a woman and her boyfriend's
> father, as it was turning violent -- a propane tank was thrown
> into a campfire at one point. *What topic of discussion*
> led to this heated fracas?

Whether or not the Earth is flat. 4 for Dan.

> 7. Why was 94-year-old Reinhold Hanning in the news last week?
> Be sufficiently specific.

He was convicted and sentenced to 5 years in jail for complicity in
at least 170,000 deaths when he was a guard at Auschwitz. (For full
points you needed to mention conviction or sentencing in relation
to a concentration camp.) 4 for Pete and Erland. 3 for Peter.

> 8. Either tell us which 1970s rocker and sometime actor collapsed
> mid-song on an Edmonton stage last week, or tell us which singer
> fell into a hole in a Saskatoon stage, apparently while adjusting
> his pants. You don't need to say which one you're referring to.

Meat Loaf (Michael Lee Aday), Justin Bieber. 4 for Bruce, Peter,
Erland, and Joshua.

> 9. Who is the British Labour Party MP who was murdered last
> Thursday, apparently for political motives in the midst of the
> rancorous campaign over the so-called Brexit?

Jo(anne) Cox. 4 for Pete, Peter, Erland, and Joshua.

> 10. A new series of public-service ads sponsored by the Government
> of Ontario, and only airing after 8:00 pm, was rolled out
> on Thursday. What problem are the ads targeting?

Distracted driving, or specifically texting and driving.

> * Game 6 (2016-06-27), Round 1 - Current Events

> Welcome to the midpoint of the Summer 2016 trivia season. It's been
> quite a week: the UK decided that the Continent will be permanently
> cut off by fog in the Channel; the NHL, we assume, is shocked --
> shocked! -- to learn that gambling has been going on in Las Vegas;
> and not even Bernie is feeling the Bern any more. No fallen sports
> superheroes, though, thank goodness.

> Those are a few things that you won't be asked about in tonight's
> current events -- now let's see what *is* on tap.

> 1. Who is the 27-year-old Star Trek actor who died last weekend in
> a freak accident in which his Jeep Grand Cherokee, a model that
> is subject to a recall, rolled back and pinned him against a
> pillar outside his house?

Anton Yelchin. (Pavel Chekov, in the current movie series.)
4 for Joshua.

> 2. What did Toronto police chief Mark Saunders offer an apology
> for last Wednesday?

The gay-bathhouse raids by police in 1981.

> 3. 52 seems to have been a karmic number last week: 52% of Britons
> voted to Brexit, Cleveland won a major-league sports championship
> for the first time in 52 years, and a ceasefire agreement was
> signed to end (officially, at least) a conflict that had also
> lasted 52 years. In what country did this armistice take place?

Colombia. (The conflict with the FARC or "Revolutionary Armed Forces
of Colombia".) 4 for Pete, Erland, and Joshua.

> 4. A pregnant woman, an avocado, Mrs. Santa Claus, and a gorilla
> made the cut, but a rifle didn't. What set of things are we
> referring to?

72 new emojis announced by the Unicode consortium. Any reference
to icons was sufficient. 4 for Bruce.

> 5. Netflix and the CBC announced last week that filming would begin
> later this summer on a miniseries based on what Canadian novel?
> Sarah Polley is the producer.

"Alias Grace" (by Margaret Atwood).

> 6. What was unusual about a concert given last week by Italian
> composer and pianist Ludovico Einaudi ["en-OW-dee"]?

He was on a small, artifical iceberg in the Atlantic off Norway.
4 for Bruce.

> 7. Which organization last week made a $5,000,000 gift to the Hot
> Docs Festival, thereby giving it the funds to buy the Bloor
> Hot Docs Cinema?

Rogers Foundation.

> 8. Corey Lewandowski lost his job last Monday. What had he been
> doing prior to this summary dismissal?

Donald Trump's campaign manager. I did not think "working for
Donaland Trump" was sufficient. 4 for Bruce, Pete, Erland, Joshua,
and Dan.

> 9. It wasn't John Bradley, it was Harold Schultz after all.
> "After all" in this case means 61 years after the event in
> question. What Second World War event are we referring to?

Raising the US flag at Iwo Jima, in the famous photo by Joe Rosenthal.
4 for Bruce, Pete, and Joshua.

And okay, yes, it has actually been 71 years since 1945. Where did
the time go?

Apparently Bradley had taken part in an earlier flag-raising nearby,
and didn't even realize himself that he wasn't present at the more
famous event; his son wrote "Flags of Our Fathers", which Clint
Eastwood made a movie based on.

> 10. The Leafs may have traded away future draft picks to pick
> up goaltender Frederik Anderson from Anaheim, but last Friday
> they did exercise their 2016 entry draft first-round #1 pick --
> to select what 18-year-old player?

Auston Matthews.

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAMES-> 1 2 3 4 5 6 BEST FOUR
Pete Gayde 16 14 15 4 24 12 69
Joshua Kreitzer 16 8 12 4 20 16 64
Erland Sommarskog 4 8 20 0 16 8 52
Peter Smyth 12 4 12 4 23 0 51
Dan Blum 16 23 11 0 -- -- 50
Dan Tilque 12 12 16 0 8 4 48
Bruce Bowler -- -- 12 0 20 16 48
Jason Kreitzer 12 8 -- -- -- -- 20
Marc Dashevsky 8 12 -- -- -- -- 20

--
Mark Brader | "[In a country with] the dream that... anyone can grow up
Toronto | to be President... there's also a nightmare where

Erland Sommarskog

Jul 1, 2016, 7:11:50 AM7/1/16
Erland Sommarskog (esq...@sommarskog.se) writes:
>> 10. A new series of public-service ads sponsored by the Government
>> of Ontario, and only airing after 8:00 pm, was rolled out
>> on Thursday. What problem are the ads targeting?
>
> "Hey baby, it's a quarter to eight, and I'm feel I'm in the mood.
> Hey baby, the hour is late, and I'm feel I'm in the mood."
>
> (And, yes, there is a Canadian connection.)

More precisely it's a line from Rush's first hit single "In the Mood".
This was before Neil Peart joined the band, which explains the
utterly trite lyrics.