Calvin's Quiz #394

Calvin

May 25, 2015, 4:39:32 AM5/25/15

1 Barack Obama was born in 1961 in which US state?
2 In 1982 who succeeded Leonid Brezhnez as General Secretary of the USSR Communist Party?
3 How many balls are needed to play a standard game of snooker?
4 The England cricket team's proposed 1968 tour of South Africa was cancelled after a dispute regarding the selection of which player?
5 Who composed the 1812 Overture?
6 Which North American city is home to the CN Tower?
7 In 1952 which city became the first (and so far only) national capital to host the Winter Olympics?
8 What strait separates Chile from Tierra Del Fuego?
9 What branch of mathematics is named for the Latin for pebble or small stone?
10 Who designed the wedding dress Madonna wore when she married Guy Ritchie?

cheers,
calvin

Joe

May 25, 2015, 5:01:02 AM5/25/15
On 2015-05-25 08:39:32 +0000, Calvin said:

> 1 Barack Obama was born in 1961 in which US state?

Hawaii

> 2 In 1982 who succeeded Leonid Brezhnez as General Secretary of the
> USSR Communist Party?

Gorbachov

> 3 How many balls are needed to play a standard game of snooker?

22

> 4 The England cricket team's proposed 1968 tour of South Africa was
> cancelled after a dispute regarding the selection of which player?

Basil D'olivera

> 5 Who composed the 1812 Overture?

Tchaikovsky

> 6 Which North American city is home to the CN Tower?

Chicago

> 7 In 1952 which city became the first (and so far only) national
> capital to host the Winter Olympics?

Oslo

> 8 What strait separates Chile from Tierra Del Fuego?

Magellan

> 9 What branch of mathematics is named for the Latin for pebble or small stone?

Algebra

> 10 Who designed the wedding dress Madonna wore when she married Guy Ritchie?

Isambard Kingdom Brunel
(That was a guess)

--
“To err, as they say, is human. To forgive is divine. To err by
withholding your forgiveness until it’s too late is to become divinely

Erland Sommarskog

May 25, 2015, 6:58:13 AM5/25/15
Calvin (334...@gmail.com) writes:
> 1 Barack Obama was born in 1961 in which US state?

Hawaii

> 2 In 1982 who succeeded Leonid Brezhnez as General Secretary of the
> USSR Communist Party?

Yury Andropov

> 3 How many balls are needed to play a standard game of snooker?

19

> 4 The England cricket team's proposed 1968 tour of South Africa was
> cancelled after a dispute regarding the selection of which player?

Nisse Hult

> 5 Who composed the 1812 Overture?

Chaikovsky

> 6 Which North American city is home to the CN Tower?

Calgary

> 7 In 1952 which city became the first (and so far only) national
> capital to host the Winter Olympics?

Oslo

> 8 What strait separates Chile from Tierra Del Fuego?

Absolutely no strait at all - the major area of Tierra del Fuego is in
Chile! (Although populationwise, the density is in Argentina.)

Tierra del Fuego itself is delimited by the Magellan Strait to the north and
west, and the Beagle Channel in the south. Of these, only the Beagle Channel
is a boundary between Chile and the Argentine part of the Tierra del Fuego.

> 10 Who designed the wedding dress Madonna wore when she married Guy
> Ritchie?

YSL

Mark Brader

May 25, 2015, 7:40:22 AM5/25/15
"Calvin":
> 1 Barack Obama was born in 1961 in which US state?

Hawaii.

> 2 In 1982 who succeeded Leonid Brezhnez as General Secretary of the USSR
> Communist Party?

Either Andropov or Chernenko, but which came first? I'll go with Chernenko.

> 3 How many balls are needed to play a standard game of snooker?

23.

> 4 The England cricket team's proposed 1968 tour of South Africa was
> cancelled after a dispute regarding the selection of which player?

Johnson.

> 5 Who composed the 1812 Overture?

Tchaikovsky.

> 6 Which North American city is home to the CN Tower?

Toronto.

> 7 In 1952 which city became the first (and so far only) national capital
> to host the Winter Olympics?

Oslo.

> 8 What strait separates Chile from Tierra Del Fuego?

Magellan.

> 9 What branch of mathematics is named for the Latin for pebble or
> small stone?

Calculus.

> 10 Who designed the wedding dress Madonna wore when she married
> Guy Ritchie?

Wang?
--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "Show that 17x17 = 289. Generalise this result."
m...@vex.net | -- Carl E. Linderholm

Mark Brader

May 25, 2015, 7:41:30 AM5/25/15
Erland Sommarskog:
> Absolutely no strait at all - the major area of Tierra del Fuego is in
> Chile! ...

Dang, he's right. I demand to be scored as wrong.
--
Mark Brader "It is hard to believe that any Biblical passage,
Toronto no matter how powerful, could make an entire

swp

May 25, 2015, 12:14:18 PM5/25/15
On Monday, May 25, 2015 at 4:39:32 AM UTC-4, Calvin wrote:
> 1 Barack Obama was born in 1961 in which US state?

hawaii

> 2 In 1982 who succeeded Leonid BrezhneV as General Secretary of the USSR Communist Party?

yuri andropov

> 3 How many balls are needed to play a standard game of snooker?

22

> 4 The England cricket team's proposed 1968 tour of South Africa was cancelled after a dispute regarding the selection of which player?

mark brader

> 5 Who composed the 1812 Overture?

tchaikovsky

> 6 Which North American city is home to the CN Tower?

toronto

> 7 In 1952 which city became the first (and so far only) national capital to host the Winter Olympics?

oslo

> 8 What strait separates Chile from Tierra Del Fuego?

none. but beagle channel separates chile from argentina.

> 9 What branch of mathematics is named for the Latin for pebble or small stone?

calculus

> 10 Who designed the wedding dress Madonna wore when she married Guy Ritchie?

mccartney

swp

Peter Smyth

May 25, 2015, 2:06:24 PM5/25/15
Calvin wrote:

> 1 Barack Obama was born in 1961 in which US state?
Hawaii
> 2 In 1982 who succeeded Leonid Brezhnez as General Secretary of the
> USSR Communist Party?
Andropov (or was it Chernenko?)
> 3 How many balls are needed to play a standard game of snooker?
22
> 4 The England cricket team's proposed 1968 tour of South Africa was
> cancelled after a dispute regarding the selection of which player?
Basil D'Oliveira
> 5 Who composed the 1812 Overture?
Tchaikovsky
> 6 Which North American city is home to the CN Tower?
Toronto
> 7 In 1952 which city became the first (and so far only) national
> capital to host the Winter Olympics?
Oslo
> 8 What strait separates Chile from Tierra Del Fuego?
Magellan
> 9 What branch of mathematics is named for the Latin for pebble or
> small stone?
Geometry
> 10 Who designed the wedding dress Madonna wore when she married Guy
> Ritchie?
Stella McCartney

Peter Smyth

Chris F.A. Johnson

May 25, 2015, 3:08:04 PM5/25/15
On 2015-05-25, Calvin wrote:

> 1 Barack Obama was born in 1961 in which US state?

Hawaii

> 2 In 1982 who succeeded Leonid Brezhnez as General Secretary of the USSR Communist Party?

Andropov

> 3 How many balls are needed to play a standard game of snooker?

22

> 4 The England cricket team's proposed 1968 tour of South Africa was cancelled after a dispute regarding the selection of which player?
> 5 Who composed the 1812 Overture?

Tchaikovsky

> 6 Which North American city is home to the CN Tower?

Toronto (I can see it from my kitchen window)

> 7 In 1952 which city became the first (and so far only) national capital to host the Winter Olympics?

Moscow

> 8 What strait separates Chile from Tierra Del Fuego?

Magellan

> 9 What branch of mathematics is named for the Latin for pebble or small stone?

Calculus

> 10 Who designed the wedding dress Madonna wore when she married Guy Ritchie?

--
Chris F.A. Johnson

Björn Lundin

May 25, 2015, 4:00:47 PM5/25/15
On 2015-05-25 10:39, Calvin wrote:

> 1 Barack Obama was born in 1961 in which US state?
Hawaii
> 2 In 1982 who succeeded Leonid Brezhnez as General Secretary of the USSR Communist Party?
Andropov?
> 3 How many balls are needed to play a standard game of snooker?
22 + the white = 23
> 4 The England cricket team's proposed 1968 tour of South Africa was cancelled after a dispute regarding the selection of which player?
> 5 Who composed the 1812 Overture?
Beethoven
> 6 Which North American city is home to the CN Tower?
Toronto
> 7 In 1952 which city became the first (and so far only) national capital to host the Winter Olympics?
Tokyo
> 8 What strait separates Chile from Tierra Del Fuego?
magellans strait
> 9 What branch of mathematics is named for the Latin for pebble or small stone?
> 10 Who designed the wedding dress Madonna wore when she married Guy Ritchie?
>

> cheers,
> calvin

Björn

Erland Sommarskog

May 25, 2015, 5:57:03 PM5/25/15
Mark Brader (m...@vex.net) writes:
> Erland Sommarskog:
>> Absolutely no strait at all - the major area of Tierra del Fuego is in
>> Chile! ...
>
> Dang, he's right. I demand to be scored as wrong.

Thinking more of it, I think it is a spelling issue. Presumably, Calvin
meant to ask what separates Chile from the Argentine province of Tierra
del Fuegeo. That is not a strait - it's a *straight* line. (Well almost.)

Pete

May 25, 2015, 11:58:29 PM5/25/15
Calvin <334...@gmail.com> wrote in

> 1 Barack Obama was born in 1961 in which US state?

Hawaii

> 2 In 1982 who succeeded Leonid Brezhnez as General Secretary of
> the USSR Communist Party?

Andropov

> 3 How many balls are needed to play a standard game of snooker?

15

> 4 The England cricket team's proposed
> 1968 tour of South Africa was cancelled after a dispute regarding the
> selection of which player?
> 5 Who composed the 1812 Overture?

Tchaikovsky

> 6 Which North American city is home to the CN Tower?

Toronto

> 7 In 1952 which city became the first (and so far only) national
> capital to host the Winter Olympics?

Oslo

> 8 What strait separates Chile from Tierra Del Fuego?

Straits of Magellan

> 9 What branch of mathematics is named for
> the Latin for pebble or small stone?

Algebra

> 10 Who designed the wedding
> dress Madonna wore when she married Guy Ritchie?

Stella McCartney

> cheers,
> calvin

Pete

Marc Dashevsky

May 26, 2015, 2:06:28 AM5/26/15
In article <9e385a5b-f6dc-4a88...@googlegroups.com>, 334...@gmail.com says...

> 1 Barack Obama was born in 1961 in which US state?
Keny^H^H^H^HHawaii

3

> 4 The England cricket team's proposed 1968 tour of South Africa was cancelled after a dispute regarding the selection of which player?
> 5 Who composed the 1812 Overture?
Tchaicovsky

> 6 Which North American city is home to the CN Tower?
Toronto

> 7 In 1952 which city became the first (and so far only) national capital to host the Winter Olympics?
Oslo

> 8 What strait separates Chile from Tierra Del Fuego?
Magellan

> 9 What branch of mathematics is named for the Latin for pebble or small stone?
calculus

> 10 Who designed the wedding dress Madonna wore when she married Guy Ritchie?
Madonna

bbowler

May 26, 2015, 8:52:11 AM5/26/15
On Mon, 25 May 2015 01:39:32 -0700, Calvin wrote:

> 1 Barack Obama was born in 1961 in which US state?

Hawaii

> 2 In 1982 who succeeded Leonid Brezhnez as General Secretary of the
USSR
> Communist Party?

Gorbachev?

> 3 How many balls are needed to play a standard game of snooker?

16?

> 4 The England cricket team's proposed 1968 tour of South Africa was
> cancelled after a dispute regarding the selection of which player?
> 5 Who composed the 1812 Overture?

Tchaikovsky

> 6 Which North American city is home to the CN Tower?

Toronto

> 7 In 1952 which city became the first (and so far only) national
capital
> to host the Winter Olympics?

Oslo

> 8 What strait separates Chile from Tierra Del Fuego?

Straights of Magellan

> 9 What branch of mathematics is named for the Latin for pebble or
small
> stone?

Algebra?

Dan Tilque

May 26, 2015, 1:13:34 PM5/26/15
Calvin wrote:
> 1 Barack Obama was born in 1961 in which US state?

Hawaii

> 2 In 1982 who succeeded Leonid Brezhnez as General Secretary of the USSR Communist Party?

Andropov ?

5

> 4 The England cricket team's proposed 1968 tour of South Africa was cancelled after a dispute regarding the selection of which player?
> 5 Who composed the 1812 Overture?

Tchaikovsky

> 6 Which North American city is home to the CN Tower?

Toronto

> 7 In 1952 which city became the first (and so far only) national capital to host the Winter Olympics?

Helsinki

> 8 What strait separates Chile from Tierra Del Fuego?

Straits of Magellan

> 9 What branch of mathematics is named for the Latin for pebble or small stone?

calculus

> 10 Who designed the wedding dress Madonna wore when she married Guy Ritchie?

--
Dan Tilque

Calvin

May 31, 2015, 5:06:18 PM5/31/15
On Monday, May 25, 2015 at 6:39:32 PM UTC+10, Calvin wrote:

> 1 Barack Obama was born in 1961 in which US state?

Hawaii

> 2 In 1982 who succeeded Leonid Brezhnez as General Secretary of the USSR Communist Party?

Yuri Andropov

> 3 How many balls are needed to play a standard game of snooker?

22

> 4 The England cricket team's proposed 1968 tour of South Africa was cancelled after a dispute regarding the selection of which player?

Basil D'Oliveira
This was quit an important incident as it ultimate led to the Gleneagles agreement and South Africa's 20+ year isolation form international sport.

> 5 Who composed the 1812 Overture?

Pyotr Tchaikovsky

> 6 Which North American city is home to the CN Tower?

Toronto

> 7 In 1952 which city became the first (and so far only) national capital to host the Winter Olympics?

Oslo

> 8 What strait separates Chile from Tierra Del Fuego?

Magellan was the intended answer but s Erland pointed out that isn't quite the case so everyone gets a point.

> 9 What branch of mathematics is named for the Latin for pebble or small stone?

Calculus

> 10 Who designed the wedding dress Madonna wore when she married Guy Ritchie?

Stella Macartney
She should be your default answer for any fashion question!

Q1 Q2 Q3 Q4 Q5 Q6 Q7 Q8 Q9 Q10 TOTAL TB Quiz 394
1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 0 1 9 66 Peter Smyth
1 1 1 0 1 1 1 1 1 1 9 69 Stephen Perry
1 1 1 0 1 1 0 1 1 0 7 58 Chris Johnson
1 1 0 0 1 1 1 1 0 1 7 60 Pete Gayde
1 1 0 0 1 1 1 1 1 0 7 62 Marc Dashevsky
1 0 1 1 1 0 1 1 0 0 6 46 Joe
1 1 0 0 1 1 0 1 1 0 6 54 Dan Tilque
1 0 0 0 1 1 1 1 1 0 6 54 Mark Brader
1 1 0 0 1 0 1 1 0 0 5 48 Erland S
1 0 0 0 1 1 1 1 0 0 5 49 Bruce Bowler
1 1 0 0 0 1 0 1 0 0 4 39 Bjorn Lundin
- - - - - - - - - - --- ----------
11 8 4 2 10 9 8 11 5 3 71 65%

Well done Peter.

cheers,
calvin

Calvin

May 31, 2015, 5:07:15 PM5/31/15
On Tuesday, May 26, 2015 at 5:08:04 AM UTC+10, Chris F.A. Johnson wrote:

> > 6 Which North American city is home to the CN Tower?
>
> Toronto (I can see it from my kitchen window)

Now if this were one of Mark's quizzes he would disqualify you for using reference material :-)

cheers,
calvin