Calvin's Quiz #552

Calvin

Jan 24, 2019, 7:29:11 PM1/24/19

1 The phrase 'God is dead' is attributed to which German philosopher (1844-1900)?
2 Which football (soccer) World Cup was the first to be broadcast in colour? [Year or Country]
3 Which blood cell is also known as an erythrocyte?
4 What does an entomologist study?
5 What is the stage name of the British singer born Florian Cloud de Bounevialle O'Malley Armstrong in 1971?
6 Which Argentine football player (b. 1952) played over 200 games for Tottenham Hotspur?
7 What name is shared by a 1971 film starring Clint Eastwood, and its 2017 remake starring Nicole Kidman?
8 'The Son of Man' by surrealist Rene Magritte depicts a businessman in a bowler hat with his face obscured by a what fruit?
9 What is the common name for the plant of the ginger family with the botanical name Curcuma longa? Native to south-east Asia, its deep yellow/orange powder has several uses including dyeing and a flavour for curries.
10 In Greek mythology, which goddess is the personification of rainbows and messenger of the gods?

cheers,
calvin

Dan Blum

Jan 24, 2019, 8:55:31 PM1/24/19
Calvin <334...@gmail.com> wrote:

> 1 The phrase 'God is dead' is attributed to which German philosopher (1844-1900)?

Nietzsche

> 2 Which football (soccer) World Cup was the first to be broadcast in colour? [Year or Country]

1964

> 3 Which blood cell is also known as an erythrocyte?

T-cell

> 4 What does an entomologist study?

insects

> 8 'The Son of Man' by surrealist Rene Magritte depicts a businessman in a bowler hat with his face obscured by a what fruit?

apple

> 9 What is the common name for the plant of the ginger family with the botanical name Curcuma longa? Native to south-east Asia, its deep yellow/orange powder has several uses including dyeing and a flavour for curries.

turmeric

> 10 In Greek mythology, which goddess is the personification of rainbows and messenger of the gods?

Iris

Dan Blum to...@panix.com

Mark Brader

Jan 24, 2019, 10:32:29 PM1/24/19
Calvin:
> 1 The phrase 'God is dead' is attributed to which German philosopher
> (1844-1900)?

Nietzsche. [This one *should* be a spelling question! :-)]

> 2 Which football (soccer) World Cup was the first to be broadcast in
> colour? [Year or Country]

Must be 1962 or 1966 -- I'll go with 1962.

> 3 Which blood cell is also known as an erythrocyte?

White.

> 4 What does an entomologist study?

Insects.

> 5 What is the stage name of the British singer born Florian Cloud de
> Bounevialle O'Malley Armstrong in 1971?

Somebody I've heard of... Boy George?

> 6 Which Argentine football player (b. 1952) played over 200 games for
> Tottenham Hotspur?

Johnson. In Spanish. :-)

> 7 What name is shared by a 1971 film starring Clint Eastwood, and its
> 2017 remake starring Nicole Kidman?

"Misty"?

> 8 'The Son of Man' by surrealist Rene Magritte depicts a businessman in
> a bowler hat with his face obscured by a what fruit?

Apple.

> 9 What is the common name for the plant of the ginger family with the
> botanical name Curcuma longa? Native to south-east Asia, its deep
> yellow/orange powder has several uses including dyeing and a flavour for
> curries.

Saffron?

> 10 In Greek mythology, which goddess is the personification of rainbows
> and messenger of the gods?

You must want Iris. But shirley Hermes is the messenger of the gods,
and he's no goddess.
--
Mark Brader | "...where did they get the sunlight in such a hurry? I know
m...@vex.net | it can be delivered in about eight minutes, but there must

Dan Blum

Jan 24, 2019, 11:23:05 PM1/24/19
Mark Brader <m...@vex.net> wrote:

> > 10 In Greek mythology, which goddess is the personification of rainbows
> > and messenger of the gods?

> You must want Iris. But shirley Hermes is the messenger of the gods,
> and he's no goddess.

They both are. Greek mythology rarely restricted itself to one of anything.

Dan Tilque

Jan 25, 2019, 11:36:01 AM1/25/19
Calvin wrote:
> 1 The phrase 'God is dead' is attributed to which German philosopher (1844-1900)?

Nietzsche

> 2 Which football (soccer) World Cup was the first to be broadcast in colour? [Year or Country]

1962

> 3 Which blood cell is also known as an erythrocyte?

red blood cell

> 4 What does an entomologist study?

insects

> 5 What is the stage name of the British singer born Florian Cloud de Bounevialle O'Malley Armstrong in 1971?
> 6 Which Argentine football player (b. 1952) played over 200 games for Tottenham Hotspur?
> 7 What name is shared by a 1971 film starring Clint Eastwood, and its 2017 remake starring Nicole Kidman?
> 8 'The Son of Man' by surrealist Rene Magritte depicts a businessman in a bowler hat with his face obscured by a what fruit?

apple

> 9 What is the common name for the plant of the ginger family with the botanical name Curcuma longa? Native to south-east Asia, its deep yellow/orange powder has several uses including dyeing and a flavour for curries.
> 10 In Greek mythology, which goddess is the personification of rainbows and messenger of the gods?

Iris

--
Dan Tilque

Erland Sommarskog

Jan 25, 2019, 2:24:21 PM1/25/19
Calvin (334...@gmail.com) writes:
> 1 The phrase 'God is dead' is attributed to which German philosopher
> (1844-1900)?

Nietschke

> 2 Which football (soccer) World Cup was the first to be broadcast in
> colour? [Year or Country]

1970

> 4 What does an entomologist study?

Insects

> 6 Which Argentine football player (b. 1952) played over 200 games
> for Tottenham Hotspur?

Mario Kempes?

Pete Gayde

Jan 26, 2019, 2:15:49 AM1/26/19
Calvin <334...@gmail.com> wrote in

> 1 The phrase 'God is dead' is attributed to which German
> philosopher (1844-1900)?

Nietsche

> 2 Which football (soccer) World Cup was
> the first to be broadcast in colour? [Year or Country]

1966

> 3 Which blood cell is also known as an erythrocyte?

White

> 4 What does an entomologist study?

Insects

> 5 What is the stage name of the British singer
> born Florian Cloud de Bounevialle O'Malley Armstrong in 1971?
> 6
> Which Argentine football player (b. 1952) played over 200 games for
> Tottenham Hotspur?

Ardiles

> 7 What name is shared by a 1971 film starring
> Clint Eastwood, and its 2017 remake starring Nicole Kidman?

Magnum Force

> 8 'The
> Son of Man' by surrealist Rene Magritte depicts a businessman in a
> bowler hat with his face obscured by a what fruit?

Orange

> 9 What is the
> common name for the plant of the ginger family with the botanical name
> Curcuma longa? Native to south-east Asia, its deep yellow/orange
> powder has several uses including dyeing and a flavour for curries.

Lemongrass

> 10 In Greek mythology, which goddess is the personification of
> rainbows and messenger of the gods?
>

> cheers,
> calvin

Pete Gayde

ArenEss

Jan 28, 2019, 10:51:04 AM1/28/19
On Thu, 24 Jan 2019 16:29:10 -0800 (PST), Calvin <334...@gmail.com>
wrote:

>1 The phrase 'God is dead' is attributed to which German philosopher (1844-1900)?
Nietzsche

>2 Which football (soccer) World Cup was the first to be broadcast in colour? [Year or Country]
1968

>3 Which blood cell is also known as an erythrocyte?
red blood cell

>4 What does an entomologist study?
insects, bugs

>5 What is the stage name of the British singer born Florian Cloud de Bounevialle O'Malley Armstrong in 1971?
Dido

>6 Which Argentine football player (b. 1952) played over 200 games for Tottenham Hotspur?
>7 What name is shared by a 1971 film starring Clint Eastwood, and its 2017 remake starring Nicole Kidman?
The Beguiled

>8 'The Son of Man' by surrealist Rene Magritte depicts a businessman in a bowler hat with his face obscured by a what fruit?
Green Apple

>9 What is the common name for the plant of the ginger family with the botanical name Curcuma longa? Native to south-east Asia, its deep yellow/orange powder has several uses including dyeing and a flavour for curries.
Tumeric

>10 In Greek mythology, which goddess is the personification of rainbows and messenger of the gods?
Iris

ArenEss

>cheers,
>calvin

Calvin

Jan 31, 2019, 10:34:12 PM1/31/19
On Friday, January 25, 2019 at 10:29:11 AM UTC+10, Calvin wrote:

> 1 The phrase 'God is dead' is attributed to which German philosopher (1844-1900)?

Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche

> 2 Which football (soccer) World Cup was the first to be broadcast in colour? [Year or Country]

1970 / Mexico
Singleton for Erland

> 3 Which blood cell is also known as an erythrocyte?

Red

> 4 What does an entomologist study?

Insects

> 5 What is the stage name of the British singer born Florian Cloud de Bounevialle O'Malley Armstrong in 1971?

Dido
Singleton for Aren

> 6 Which Argentine football player (b. 1952) played over 200 games for Tottenham Hotspur?

Ossie Ardiles
Singleton for Pete G

> 7 What name is shared by a 1971 film starring Clint Eastwood, and its 2017 remake starring Nicole Kidman?

The Beguiled
Singleton for Aren

> 8 'The Son of Man' by surrealist Rene Magritte depicts a businessman in a bowler hat with his face obscured by a what fruit?

Apple

> 9 What is the common name for the plant of the ginger family with the botanical name Curcuma longa? Native to south-east Asia, its deep yellow/orange powder has several uses including dyeing and a flavour for curries.

Tumeric

> 10 In Greek mythology, which goddess is the personification of rainbows and messenger of the gods?

Iris

Q1 Q2 Q3 Q4 Q5 Q6 Q7 Q8 Q9 Q10 TOTAL TB Quiz 552
1 0 1 1 1 0 1 1 1 1 8 26 Aren Ess
1 0 0 1 0 0 0 1 1 1 5 22 Dan Blum
1 0 1 1 0 0 0 1 0 1 5 22 Dan Tilque
1 0 0 1 0 0 0 1 0 1 4 20 Mark Brader
1 0 0 1 0 1 0 0 0 0 3 13 Pete Gayde
1 1 0 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 3 13 Erland S
6 1 2 6 1 1 1 4 2 4 28 47%

Aren convincingly takes a tough set. 4 singletons must surely be a record!

cheers,
calvin