RQFTCI07 Game 4 Rounds 2-3: provinces/states and CanBooze

Mark Brader

Jul 30, 2020, 3:10:17 AM7/30/20
In Toronto, pubs and other such venues are now about to reopen,
but this doesn't mean that the Canadian Inquisition is about
to resume. Customers will be required to space themselves out,
and our games involve 11 people sitting together around a long
table or a cluster of small tables. In the meantime I'll continue
reposting questions from the first season of 2007 here.

These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2007-02-12,
and should be interpreted accordingly. All questions were written
by members of the Usual Suspects, but have been reformatted and
may have been retyped and/or edited by me. I will reveal the
correct answers in about 3 days.

For further information, including an explanation of the """
notation that may appear in these rounds, see my 2020-06-23
companion posting on "Reposted Questions from the Canadian
Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".

I originally wrote one of these rounds.

* Game 4, Round 2 - Geography - Where Are These?

Most countries are divided into states, provinces, regions,
territories, or what-have-you; in some cases, as with Canada,
there's more than one type of these top-level divisions. Here we
simply show you four of these parts that a country """is"""
divided into, and you name the country.

1. Atacama, Tarapacá, Antofagasta, Libertador General Bernardo
O'Higgins.

2. Chiba, Niigata, Okayama, Fukushima.

3. Dagestan (or Makhachkala), Murmansk, Novgorod, Smolensk.

4. Drama, Arkadia, Lakonia, Korinthia (or the same with each K
changed to C).

5. Hainan, Shanxi, Guangdong, Zhejiang.

6. Limburg, Wallonia, Luxembourg, West-Vlaanderen.

7. Nelson, Canterbury, Wellington, Marlborough.

8. Sikkim, Gujarat, Tamil Nadu, Madhya Pradesh.

9. Sonora, Hidalgo, Tlaxcala, Guanajuato.

10. Tirol, Vorarlberg, Kärnten (or Carinthia), Steiermark (or
Styria).

This was originally written as a handout round with the lists on
paper, so there were decoys provided -- 16 of them. Here they are.
Answer them if you like for fun, but for no points.

11. Aceh, Papua, Irian Jaya Barat, Nusa Tenggara Timur.

12. Al-Qahirah, Bani Suwayf, Al-Iskandariyah, Al-Wadi al-Jadid.

13. Bahia, Paraná, Maranhão, Mato Grosso.

14. Budva, Zabljak, Pljevlja, Danilovgrad.

15. Finnmark, Telemark, Nord-Trondelag, More og Romsdal.

16. Harare, Masvingo, Midlands, Manicaland.

17. Holguín, Camagüey, Pinar del Río, Sancti Spíritus.

18. Kansas, Vermont, Kentucky, Mississippi.

19. Lac, Biltine, Mayo-Kebbi, Moyen-Chari.

20. Limburg, Zeeland, Groningen, Gelderland.

21. Limpopo, Mpumalanga, Western Cape, KwaZulu-Natal.

22. Loja, Esmeraldas, Morona-Santiago, Zamora-Chinchipe.

23. Maasin, Camiguin, Catanduanes, Surigao del Sur.

24. Salavan, Oudomxai, Phongsali, Louangphrabang.

25. Vysocina, Karlovarsky Kraj, Kralovehradecky Kraj,
Moravskoslezsky Kraj.

26. Wales, England, Scotland, Northern Ireland.

* Game 4, Round 3 - Canadiana - Booze

1. Canadian Club began production in 1858. It """is""" the
best-selling Canadian whisky brand outside of North America
and """is""" sold in more than 150 countries worldwide.
Who """makes""" it?

2. Where """is""" <answer 1> located?

3. What company's distillery, founded in 1832, forms what """is
now""" known in Toronto as the Distillery District? It was
owned in later years by <answer 1>.

4. Molson's was founded by John Molson, making it North America's
oldest brewing company, and Canada's second-oldest company of any
kind (after the Hudson's Bay Co.). In what year, within 5?

5. Labatt Brewing Co. Ltd. """is""" a Canadian beer company,
founded by John Kinder Labatt in 1847 -- in what city?

6. While most of Canada is too cold for grape-growing, Canadian
wine """is""" produced in the Niagara region of Southern Ontario
and southern British Columbia. Name the largest wine-growing
area in BC.

7. There """are""" two other wine-growing regions in Ontario,
though they """are""" much smaller than the Niagara region.
One is a county east of Toronto; the other is an area in
Southwestern Ontario defined by the Vintners Quality Alliance.
Each is on one of the Great Lakes. Name either one.

8. """It's""" the provincial liquor monopoly of Quebec, with the
initials SAQ. What does it stand for?

9. In December 2006, the LCBO introduced their recycling program
for bottles. There """are""" two different deposits, one
for large glass bottles and one for small glass bottles and
tetra-paks. Name either one of the two amounts that """are"""
charged.

10. A Caesar, sometimes referred to as a "Bloody Caesar", is a
cocktail mainly popular in Canada. It is served on the rocks
in a large celery-salt rimmmed glass and typically garnished
with a stalk of celery and a wedge of lime. For this trivia
question, please order and drink one. No, actually: name *all
four* ingredients in a typical Caesar. *Hint*: None of them is
a citrus juice or pepper. *Note*: We're asking for the four
ingredients that you or your bartender would mix to make it,
not the ingredients that go into those!

--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "It's a massive 'Get out of Euclid free' card."
m...@vex.net | --Matt Parker

Erland Sommarskog

Jul 30, 2020, 4:58:07 AM7/30/20
Mark Brader (m...@vex.net) writes:
> * Game 4, Round 2 - Geography - Where Are These?
>
> 1. Atacama, Tarapacá, Antofagasta, Libertador General Bernardo
> O'Higgins.

Chile

> 2. Chiba, Niigata, Okayama, Fukushima.

Japan

> 3. Dagestan (or Makhachkala), Murmansk, Novgorod, Smolensk.

Russia

> 4. Drama, Arkadia, Lakonia, Korinthia (or the same with each K
> changed to C).

Greece

> 5. Hainan, Shanxi, Guangdong, Zhejiang.

China

> 6. Limburg, Wallonia, Luxembourg, West-Vlaanderen.

Belgium

> 7. Nelson, Canterbury, Wellington, Marlborough.

New Zealand

> 8. Sikkim, Gujarat, Tamil Nadu, Madhya Pradesh.

India

> 9. Sonora, Hidalgo, Tlaxcala, Guanajuato.

México

> 10. Tirol, Vorarlberg, Kärnten (or Carinthia), Steiermark (or
> Styria).

Austria

> 11. Aceh, Papua, Irian Jaya Barat, Nusa Tenggara Timur.

Indonesia

> 12. Al-Qahirah, Bani Suwayf, Al-Iskandariyah, Al-Wadi al-Jadid.

Egypt

> 13. Bahia, Paraná, Maranhão, Mato Grosso.

Brazil

> 14. Budva, Zabljak, Pljevlja, Danilovgrad.

Serbia?
> 15. Finnmark, Telemark, Nord-Trondelag, More og Romsdal.

Norway

> 16. Harare, Masvingo, Midlands, Manicaland.

Zimbabwe

> 17. Holguín, Camagüey, Pinar del Río, Sancti Spíritus.

Guatemala?

> 18. Kansas, Vermont, Kentucky, Mississippi.

USA

> 19. Lac, Biltine, Mayo-Kebbi, Moyen-Chari.

Cameroon?

> 20. Limburg, Zeeland, Groningen, Gelderland.

Netherlands

> 21. Limpopo, Mpumalanga, Western Cape, KwaZulu-Natal.

South Africa

> 22. Loja, Esmeraldas, Morona-Santiago, Zamora-Chinchipe.

Cuba?

> 23. Maasin, Camiguin, Catanduanes, Surigao del Sur.

Ecuador?

> 24. Salavan, Oudomxai, Phongsali, Louangphrabang.

Vietnam

> 25. Vysocina, Karlovarsky Kraj, Kralovehradecky Kraj,
> Moravskoslezsky Kraj.

Czechia

> 26. Wales, England, Scotland, Northern Ireland.

UK

Bruce Bowler

Jul 30, 2020, 9:17:08 AM7/30/20
On Thu, 30 Jul 2020 02:10:11 -0500, Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 4, Round 2 - Geography - Where Are These?
>
> Most countries are divided into states, provinces, regions, territories,
> or what-have-you; in some cases, as with Canada, there's more than one
> type of these top-level divisions. Here we simply show you four of
> these parts that a country """is""" divided into, and you name the
> country.
>
> 1. Atacama, Tarapacá, Antofagasta, Libertador General Bernardo
> O'Higgins.

Chile

> 2. Chiba, Niigata, Okayama, Fukushima.

Japan

> 3. Dagestan (or Makhachkala), Murmansk, Novgorod, Smolensk.

Russia

> 4. Drama, Arkadia, Lakonia, Korinthia (or the same with each K
> changed to C).

Greece

> 5. Hainan, Shanxi, Guangdong, Zhejiang.

China

> 6. Limburg, Wallonia, Luxembourg, West-Vlaanderen.

Germany

> 7. Nelson, Canterbury, Wellington, Marlborough.

New Zealand

> 8. Sikkim, Gujarat, Tamil Nadu, Madhya Pradesh.

India

> 9. Sonora, Hidalgo, Tlaxcala, Guanajuato.

Mexico

> 10. Tirol, Vorarlberg, Kärnten (or Carinthia), Steiermark (or
> Styria).

Austria

> This was originally written as a handout round with the lists on paper,
> so there were decoys provided -- 16 of them. Here they are.
> Answer them if you like for fun, but for no points.
>
> 11. Aceh, Papua, Irian Jaya Barat, Nusa Tenggara Timur.

Indonesia

> 12. Al-Qahirah, Bani Suwayf, Al-Iskandariyah, Al-Wadi al-Jadid.

Saudi Arabia

> 13. Bahia, Paraná, Maranhão, Mato Grosso.
>
> 14. Budva, Zabljak, Pljevlja, Danilovgrad.

Poland

> 15. Finnmark, Telemark, Nord-Trondelag, More og Romsdal.

Norway

> 16. Harare, Masvingo, Midlands, Manicaland.

Ethiopia?

> 17. Holguín, Camagüey, Pinar del Río, Sancti Spíritus.
>
> 18. Kansas, Vermont, Kentucky, Mississippi.

USA

> 19. Lac, Biltine, Mayo-Kebbi, Moyen-Chari.
>
> 20. Limburg, Zeeland, Groningen, Gelderland.

Netherlands

> 21. Limpopo, Mpumalanga, Western Cape, KwaZulu-Natal.

South Africa

> 22. Loja, Esmeraldas, Morona-Santiago, Zamora-Chinchipe.

Argentina

> 23. Maasin, Camiguin, Catanduanes, Surigao del Sur.
>
> 24. Salavan, Oudomxai, Phongsali, Louangphrabang.

Thailand

> 25. Vysocina, Karlovarsky Kraj, Kralovehradecky Kraj,
> Moravskoslezsky Kraj.
>
> 26. Wales, England, Scotland, Northern Ireland.

United Kingdom

> * Game 4, Round 3 - Canadiana - Booze

Nope

Dan Blum

Jul 30, 2020, 9:25:03 AM7/30/20
Mark Brader <m...@vex.net> wrote:

> * Game 4, Round 2 - Geography - Where Are These?

> 1. Atacama, Tarapac?, Antofagasta, Libertador General Bernardo
> O'Higgins.

Chile

> 2. Chiba, Niigata, Okayama, Fukushima.

Japan

> 3. Dagestan (or Makhachkala), Murmansk, Novgorod, Smolensk.

Russia

> 4. Drama, Arkadia, Lakonia, Korinthia (or the same with each K
> changed to C).

Greece

> 5. Hainan, Shanxi, Guangdong, Zhejiang.

China

> 6. Limburg, Wallonia, Luxembourg, West-Vlaanderen.

Belgium

> 7. Nelson, Canterbury, Wellington, Marlborough.

New Zealand

> 8. Sikkim, Gujarat, Tamil Nadu, Madhya Pradesh.

India

> 9. Sonora, Hidalgo, Tlaxcala, Guanajuato.

Mexico

> 10. Tirol, Vorarlberg, K?rnten (or Carinthia), Steiermark (or
> Styria).

Austria

Dan Blum to...@panix.com

Joshua Kreitzer

Jul 30, 2020, 6:06:17 PM7/30/20
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:k-2dnT7fJbvO77_CnZ2dnUU7-
YHN...@giganews.com:

> * Game 4, Round 2 - Geography - Where Are These?
>
> Most countries are divided into states, provinces, regions,
> territories, or what-have-you; in some cases, as with Canada,
> there's more than one type of these top-level divisions. Here we
> simply show you four of these parts that a country """is"""
> divided into, and you name the country.
>
> 1. Atacama, Tarapacá, Antofagasta, Libertador General Bernardo
> O'Higgins.

Chile

> 2. Chiba, Niigata, Okayama, Fukushima.

Japan

> 3. Dagestan (or Makhachkala), Murmansk, Novgorod, Smolensk.

Russia

> 4. Drama, Arkadia, Lakonia, Korinthia (or the same with each K
> changed to C).

Greece

> 5. Hainan, Shanxi, Guangdong, Zhejiang.

China

> 6. Limburg, Wallonia, Luxembourg, West-Vlaanderen.

Belgium

> 7. Nelson, Canterbury, Wellington, Marlborough.

New Zealand

> 8. Sikkim, Gujarat, Tamil Nadu, Madhya Pradesh.

India

> 9. Sonora, Hidalgo, Tlaxcala, Guanajuato.

Mexico

> 10. Tirol, Vorarlberg, Kärnten (or Carinthia), Steiermark (or
> Styria).

Austria

> This was originally written as a handout round with the lists on
> paper, so there were decoys provided -- 16 of them. Here they are.
> Answer them if you like for fun, but for no points.
>
> 11. Aceh, Papua, Irian Jaya Barat, Nusa Tenggara Timur.

Indonesia

> 12. Al-Qahirah, Bani Suwayf, Al-Iskandariyah, Al-Wadi al-Jadid.

Egypt

> 13. Bahia, Paraná, Maranhão, Mato Grosso.

Brazil

> 18. Kansas, Vermont, Kentucky, Mississippi.

USA

> 21. Limpopo, Mpumalanga, Western Cape, KwaZulu-Natal.

South Africa

> 26. Wales, England, Scotland, Northern Ireland.

UK

> * Game 4, Round 3 - Canadiana - Booze
>
> 1. Canadian Club began production in 1858. It """is""" the
> best-selling Canadian whisky brand outside of North America
> and """is""" sold in more than 150 countries worldwide.
> Who """makes""" it?

Seagram's

> 4. Molson's was founded by John Molson, making it North America's
> oldest brewing company, and Canada's second-oldest company of any
> kind (after the Hudson's Bay Co.). In what year, within 5?

1801; 1790

> 8. """It's""" the provincial liquor monopoly of Quebec, with the
> initials SAQ. What does it stand for?

Societe des alcools de Quebec

> 9. In December 2006, the LCBO introduced their recycling program
> for bottles. There """are""" two different deposits, one
> for large glass bottles and one for small glass bottles and
> tetra-paks. Name either one of the two amounts that """are"""
> charged.

5 cents; 10 cents

> 10. A Caesar, sometimes referred to as a "Bloody Caesar", is a
> cocktail mainly popular in Canada. It is served on the rocks
> in a large celery-salt rimmmed glass and typically garnished
> with a stalk of celery and a wedge of lime. For this trivia
> question, please order and drink one. No, actually: name *all
> four* ingredients in a typical Caesar. *Hint*: None of them is
> a citrus juice or pepper. *Note*: We're asking for the four
> ingredients that you or your bartender would mix to make it,
> not the ingredients that go into those!

Clamato, vodka, Worcestershire sauce, Tabasco sauce

--
Joshua Kreitzer
grom...@hotmail.com

Pete Gayde

Jul 31, 2020, 7:07:09 PM7/31/20
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:k-2dnT7fJbvO77_CnZ2dnUU7-
YHN...@giganews.com:

> In Toronto, pubs and other such venues are now about to reopen,
> but this doesn't mean that the Canadian Inquisition is about
> to resume. Customers will be required to space themselves out,
> and our games involve 11 people sitting together around a long
> table or a cluster of small tables. In the meantime I'll continue
> reposting questions from the first season of 2007 here.
>

> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2007-02-12,
> and should be interpreted accordingly. All questions were written
> by members of the Usual Suspects, but have been reformatted and
> may have been retyped and/or edited by me. I will reveal the
> correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> For further information, including an explanation of the """
> notation that may appear in these rounds, see my 2020-06-23
> companion posting on "Reposted Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".
>

> I originally wrote one of these rounds.
>

> * Game 4, Round 2 - Geography - Where Are These?
>
> Most countries are divided into states, provinces, regions,
> territories, or what-have-you; in some cases, as with Canada,
> there's more than one type of these top-level divisions. Here we
> simply show you four of these parts that a country """is"""
> divided into, and you name the country.
>
> 1. Atacama, Tarapacá, Antofagasta, Libertador General Bernardo
> O'Higgins.

Chile

> 2. Chiba, Niigata, Okayama, Fukushima.

Japan

> 3. Dagestan (or Makhachkala), Murmansk, Novgorod, Smolensk.

Russa

> 4. Drama, Arkadia, Lakonia, Korinthia (or the same with each K
> changed to C).

Greece

> 5. Hainan, Shanxi, Guangdong, Zhejiang.

China

> 6. Limburg, Wallonia, Luxembourg, West-Vlaanderen.

Belgium

> 7. Nelson, Canterbury, Wellington, Marlborough.

New Zealand

> 8. Sikkim, Gujarat, Tamil Nadu, Madhya Pradesh.

India

> 9. Sonora, Hidalgo, Tlaxcala, Guanajuato.

Mexico

> 10. Tirol, Vorarlberg, Kärnten (or Carinthia), Steiermark (or
> Styria).

Austria

> This was originally written as a handout round with the lists on
> paper, so there were decoys provided -- 16 of them. Here they are.
> Answer them if you like for fun, but for no points.
>
> 11. Aceh, Papua, Irian Jaya Barat, Nusa Tenggara Timur.

Indonesia

> 12. Al-Qahirah, Bani Suwayf, Al-Iskandariyah, Al-Wadi al-Jadid.

Saudi Arabia

> 13. Bahia, Paraná, Maranhão, Mato Grosso.

Brazil

> 14. Budva, Zabljak, Pljevlja, Danilovgrad.

Bulgaria

> 15. Finnmark, Telemark, Nord-Trondelag, More og Romsdal.

Norway

> 16. Harare, Masvingo, Midlands, Manicaland.

Zimbabwe

> 17. Holguín, Camagüey, Pinar del Río, Sancti Spíritus.
>
> 18. Kansas, Vermont, Kentucky, Mississippi.

USA

> 19. Lac, Biltine, Mayo-Kebbi, Moyen-Chari.
>
> 20. Limburg, Zeeland, Groningen, Gelderland.

Netherlands

> 21. Limpopo, Mpumalanga, Western Cape, KwaZulu-Natal.

South Africa

> 22. Loja, Esmeraldas, Morona-Santiago, Zamora-Chinchipe.
>
> 23. Maasin, Camiguin, Catanduanes, Surigao del Sur.
>
> 24. Salavan, Oudomxai, Phongsali, Louangphrabang.
>
> 25. Vysocina, Karlovarsky Kraj, Kralovehradecky Kraj,
> Moravskoslezsky Kraj.

Croatia

> 26. Wales, England, Scotland, Northern Ireland.

United Kingdom

> * Game 4, Round 3 - Canadiana - Booze
>
> 1. Canadian Club began production in 1858. It """is""" the
> best-selling Canadian whisky brand outside of North America
> and """is""" sold in more than 150 countries worldwide.
> Who """makes""" it?

Seagrams

> 2. Where """is""" <answer 1> located?

Hamilton

> 3. What company's distillery, founded in 1832, forms what """is
> now""" known in Toronto as the Distillery District? It was
> owned in later years by <answer 1>.
>
> 4. Molson's was founded by John Molson, making it North America's
> oldest brewing company, and Canada's second-oldest company of any
> kind (after the Hudson's Bay Co.). In what year, within 5?

1801; 1812

> 5. Labatt Brewing Co. Ltd. """is""" a Canadian beer company,
> founded by John Kinder Labatt in 1847 -- in what city?

Ottawa; Montreal

> 6. While most of Canada is too cold for grape-growing, Canadian
> wine """is""" produced in the Niagara region of Southern Ontario
> and southern British Columbia. Name the largest wine-growing
> area in BC.

Kelowna; Okanagan

> 7. There """are""" two other wine-growing regions in Ontario,
> though they """are""" much smaller than the Niagara region.
> One is a county east of Toronto; the other is an area in
> Southwestern Ontario defined by the Vintners Quality Alliance.
> Each is on one of the Great Lakes. Name either one.
>
> 8. """It's""" the provincial liquor monopoly of Quebec, with the
> initials SAQ. What does it stand for?
>
> 9. In December 2006, the LCBO introduced their recycling program
> for bottles. There """are""" two different deposits, one
> for large glass bottles and one for small glass bottles and
> tetra-paks. Name either one of the two amounts that """are"""
> charged.
>
> 10. A Caesar, sometimes referred to as a "Bloody Caesar", is a
> cocktail mainly popular in Canada. It is served on the rocks
> in a large celery-salt rimmmed glass and typically garnished
> with a stalk of celery and a wedge of lime. For this trivia
> question, please order and drink one. No, actually: name *all
> four* ingredients in a typical Caesar. *Hint*: None of them is
> a citrus juice or pepper. *Note*: We're asking for the four
> ingredients that you or your bartender would mix to make it,
> not the ingredients that go into those!

Pete Gayde

Dan Tilque

Jul 31, 2020, 8:57:03 PM7/31/20
On 7/30/20 12:10 AM, Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 4, Round 2 - Geography - Where Are These?
>
> Most countries are divided into states, provinces, regions,
> territories, or what-have-you; in some cases, as with Canada,
> there's more than one type of these top-level divisions. Here we
> simply show you four of these parts that a country """is"""
> divided into, and you name the country.
>
> 1. Atacama, Tarapacá, Antofagasta, Libertador General Bernardo
> O'Higgins.

Chile

> 2. Chiba, Niigata, Okayama, Fukushima.

Japan

> 3. Dagestan (or Makhachkala), Murmansk, Novgorod, Smolensk.

Russia

> 4. Drama, Arkadia, Lakonia, Korinthia (or the same with each K
> changed to C).

Greece

> 5. Hainan, Shanxi, Guangdong, Zhejiang.

China

> 6. Limburg, Wallonia, Luxembourg, West-Vlaanderen.

Belgium

> 7. Nelson, Canterbury, Wellington, Marlborough.

New Zealand

> 8. Sikkim, Gujarat, Tamil Nadu, Madhya Pradesh.

India

> 9. Sonora, Hidalgo, Tlaxcala, Guanajuato.

Mexico

> 10. Tirol, Vorarlberg, Kärnten (or Carinthia), Steiermark (or
> Styria).

Austria

> This was originally written as a handout round with the lists on
> paper, so there were decoys provided -- 16 of them. Here they are.
> Answer them if you like for fun, but for no points.
>
> 11. Aceh, Papua, Irian Jaya Barat, Nusa Tenggara Timur.

Indonesia

> 12. Al-Qahirah, Bani Suwayf, Al-Iskandariyah, Al-Wadi al-Jadid.

Egypt

> 13. Bahia, Paraná, Maranhão, Mato Grosso.

Brazil

> 14. Budva, Zabljak, Pljevlja, Danilovgrad.

Hungary

> 15. Finnmark, Telemark, Nord-Trondelag, More og Romsdal.

Norway

> 16. Harare, Masvingo, Midlands, Manicaland.

Zimbabwe

> 17. Holguín, Camagüey, Pinar del Río, Sancti Spíritus.
>
> 18. Kansas, Vermont, Kentucky, Mississippi.

boy, that one's a real stumper!

> 19. Lac, Biltine, Mayo-Kebbi, Moyen-Chari.
>
> 20. Limburg, Zeeland, Groningen, Gelderland.

Netherlands

> 21. Limpopo, Mpumalanga, Western Cape, KwaZulu-Natal.

South Africa

> 22. Loja, Esmeraldas, Morona-Santiago, Zamora-Chinchipe.
>
> 23. Maasin, Camiguin, Catanduanes, Surigao del Sur.
>
> 24. Salavan, Oudomxai, Phongsali, Louangphrabang.

Burkina Faso

> 25. Vysocina, Karlovarsky Kraj, Kralovehradecky Kraj,
> Moravskoslezsky Kraj.
> > 26. Wales, England, Scotland, Northern Ireland.

another stumper!

> * Game 4, Round 3 - Canadiana - Booze
>
> 1. Canadian Club began production in 1858. It """is""" the
> best-selling Canadian whisky brand outside of North America
> and """is""" sold in more than 150 countries worldwide.
> Who """makes""" it?

Seagram's

> 2. Where """is""" <answer 1> located?
>
> 3. What company's distillery, founded in 1832, forms what """is
> now""" known in Toronto as the Distillery District? It was
> owned in later years by <answer 1>.
>
> 4. Molson's was founded by John Molson, making it North America's
> oldest brewing company, and Canada's second-oldest company of any
> kind (after the Hudson's Bay Co.). In what year, within 5?
>
> 5. Labatt Brewing Co. Ltd. """is""" a Canadian beer company,
> founded by John Kinder Labatt in 1847 -- in what city?
>
> 6. While most of Canada is too cold for grape-growing, Canadian
> wine """is""" produced in the Niagara region of Southern Ontario
> and southern British Columbia. Name the largest wine-growing
> area in BC.

Okanagan

> 7. There """are""" two other wine-growing regions in Ontario,
> though they """are""" much smaller than the Niagara region.
> One is a county east of Toronto; the other is an area in
> Southwestern Ontario defined by the Vintners Quality Alliance.
> Each is on one of the Great Lakes. Name either one.
>
> 8. """It's""" the provincial liquor monopoly of Quebec, with the
> initials SAQ. What does it stand for?
>
> 9. In December 2006, the LCBO introduced their recycling program
> for bottles. There """are""" two different deposits, one
> for large glass bottles and one for small glass bottles and
> tetra-paks. Name either one of the two amounts that """are"""
> charged.
>
> 10. A Caesar, sometimes referred to as a "Bloody Caesar", is a
> cocktail mainly popular in Canada. It is served on the rocks
> in a large celery-salt rimmmed glass and typically garnished
> with a stalk of celery and a wedge of lime. For this trivia
> question, please order and drink one. No, actually: name *all
> four* ingredients in a typical Caesar. *Hint*: None of them is
> a citrus juice or pepper. *Note*: We're asking for the four
> ingredients that you or your bartender would mix to make it,
> not the ingredients that go into those!

--
Dan Tilque

swp

Jul 31, 2020, 11:17:55 PM7/31/20
On Thursday, July 30, 2020 at 3:10:17 AM UTC-4, Mark Brader wrote:
> In Toronto, pubs and other such venues are now about to reopen,
> but this doesn't mean that the Canadian Inquisition is about
> to resume. Customers will be required to space themselves out,
> and our games involve 11 people sitting together around a long
> table or a cluster of small tables. In the meantime I'll continue
> reposting questions from the first season of 2007 here.

noted.
thank you.
please stay safe.

> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2007-02-12,
> and should be interpreted accordingly. All questions were written
> by members of the Usual Suspects, but have been reformatted and
> may have been retyped and/or edited by me. I will reveal the
> correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> For further information, including an explanation of the """
> notation that may appear in these rounds, see my 2020-06-23
> companion posting on "Reposted Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".
>

> I originally wrote one of these rounds.
>

> * Game 4, Round 2 - Geography - Where Are These?
>
> Most countries are divided into states, provinces, regions,
> territories, or what-have-you; in some cases, as with Canada,
> there's more than one type of these top-level divisions. Here we
> simply show you four of these parts that a country """is"""
> divided into, and you name the country.
>
> 1. Atacama, Tarapacá, Antofagasta, Libertador General Bernardo
> O'Higgins.

chile

> 2. Chiba, Niigata, Okayama, Fukushima.

japan

> 3. Dagestan (or Makhachkala), Murmansk, Novgorod, Smolensk.

russia

> 4. Drama, Arkadia, Lakonia, Korinthia (or the same with each K
> changed to C).

greece

> 5. Hainan, Shanxi, Guangdong, Zhejiang.

china

> 6. Limburg, Wallonia, Luxembourg, West-Vlaanderen.

belgium

> 7. Nelson, Canterbury, Wellington, Marlborough.

new zealand

> 8. Sikkim, Gujarat, Tamil Nadu, Madhya Pradesh.

india

> 9. Sonora, Hidalgo, Tlaxcala, Guanajuato.

mexico

> 10. Tirol, Vorarlberg, Kärnten (or Carinthia), Steiermark (or
> Styria).

austria

> This was originally written as a handout round with the lists on
> paper, so there were decoys provided -- 16 of them. Here they are.
> Answer them if you like for fun, but for no points.
>
> 11. Aceh, Papua, Irian Jaya Barat, Nusa Tenggara Timur.
>
> 12. Al-Qahirah, Bani Suwayf, Al-Iskandariyah, Al-Wadi al-Jadid.
>
> 13. Bahia, Paraná, Maranhão, Mato Grosso.
>
> 14. Budva, Zabljak, Pljevlja, Danilovgrad.
>
> 15. Finnmark, Telemark, Nord-Trondelag, More og Romsdal.
>
> 16. Harare, Masvingo, Midlands, Manicaland.
>
> 17. Holguín, Camagüey, Pinar del Río, Sancti Spíritus.
>
> 18. Kansas, Vermont, Kentucky, Mississippi.
>
> 19. Lac, Biltine, Mayo-Kebbi, Moyen-Chari.
>
> 20. Limburg, Zeeland, Groningen, Gelderland.
>
> 21. Limpopo, Mpumalanga, Western Cape, KwaZulu-Natal.
>
> 22. Loja, Esmeraldas, Morona-Santiago, Zamora-Chinchipe.
>
> 23. Maasin, Camiguin, Catanduanes, Surigao del Sur.
>
> 24. Salavan, Oudomxai, Phongsali, Louangphrabang.
>
> 25. Vysocina, Karlovarsky Kraj, Kralovehradecky Kraj,
> Moravskoslezsky Kraj.
>
> 26. Wales, England, Scotland, Northern Ireland.

they are all places on earth

> * Game 4, Round 3 - Canadiana - Booze
>
> 1. Canadian Club began production in 1858. It """is""" the
> best-selling Canadian whisky brand outside of North America
> and """is""" sold in more than 150 countries worldwide.
> Who """makes""" it?

beam suntory

> 2. Where """is""" <answer 1> located?

chicago

> 3. What company's distillery, founded in 1832, forms what """is
> now""" known in Toronto as the Distillery District? It was
> owned in later years by <answer 1>.

glen scotia

> 4. Molson's was founded by John Molson, making it North America's
> oldest brewing company, and Canada's second-oldest company of any
> kind (after the Hudson's Bay Co.). In what year, within 5?

1786

> 5. Labatt Brewing Co. Ltd. """is""" a Canadian beer company,
> founded by John Kinder Labatt in 1847 -- in what city?

london, ontario

> 6. While most of Canada is too cold for grape-growing, Canadian
> wine """is""" produced in the Niagara region of Southern Ontario
> and southern British Columbia. Name the largest wine-growing
> area in BC.

okanagan valley

> 7. There """are""" two other wine-growing regions in Ontario,
> though they """are""" much smaller than the Niagara region.
> One is a county east of Toronto; the other is an area in
> Southwestern Ontario defined by the Vintners Quality Alliance.
> Each is on one of the Great Lakes. Name either one.

north shore of lake erie

> 8. """It's""" the provincial liquor monopoly of Quebec, with the
> initials SAQ. What does it stand for?

societe des alcools du quebec

> 9. In December 2006, the LCBO introduced their recycling program
> for bottles. There """are""" two different deposits, one
> for large glass bottles and one for small glass bottles and
> tetra-paks. Name either one of the two amounts that """are"""
> charged.

$0.20

> 10. A Caesar, sometimes referred to as a "Bloody Caesar", is a
> cocktail mainly popular in Canada. It is served on the rocks
> in a large celery-salt rimmmed glass and typically garnished
> with a stalk of celery and a wedge of lime. For this trivia
> question, please order and drink one. No, actually: name *all
> four* ingredients in a typical Caesar. *Hint*: None of them is
> a citrus juice or pepper. *Note*: We're asking for the four
> ingredients that you or your bartender would mix to make it,
> not the ingredients that go into those!

vodka, clamato juice, tabasco sauce, worcestershire sauce

> --
> Mark Brader, Toronto | "It's a massive 'Get out of Euclid free' card."
> m...@vex.net | --Matt Parker
>
> My text in this article is in the public domain.

swp

Mark Brader

Aug 2, 2020, 4:08:11 AM8/2/20
Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2007-02-12,
> and should be interpreted accordingly... For further information,
> including an explanation of the """ notation... see my 2020-06-23
> companion posting on "Reposted Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".

> I originally wrote one of these rounds.

That was the geography round, and in the original game it was the
easiest round in the game and the second-easiest of the entire season.

> * Game 4, Round 2 - Geography - Where Are These?

> Most countries are divided into states, provinces, regions,
> territories, or what-have-you; in some cases, as with Canada,
> there's more than one type of these top-level divisions. Here we
> simply show you four of these parts that a country """is"""
> divided into, and you name the country.

I have not checked whether any of these lists are out of date.
I'm sure they wouldn't be sufficiently out of date to make a
different answer correct, anyway.

> 1. Atacama, Tarapacá, Antofagasta, Libertador General Bernardo
> O'Higgins.

Chile. 4 for everyone -- Erland, Bruce, Dan Blum, Joshua, Pete,
Dan Tilque, and Stephen.

> 2. Chiba, Niigata, Okayama, Fukushima.

Japan. 4 for everyone.

> 3. Dagestan (or Makhachkala), Murmansk, Novgorod, Smolensk.

Russia. 4 for everyone.

> 4. Drama, Arkadia, Lakonia, Korinthia (or the same with each K
> changed to C).

Greece. 4 for everyone.

> 5. Hainan, Shanxi, Guangdong, Zhejiang.

China. 4 for everyone.

> 6. Limburg, Wallonia, Luxembourg, West-Vlaanderen.

Belgium. 4 for Erland, Dan Blum, Joshua, Pete, Dan Tilque,
and Stephen.

> 7. Nelson, Canterbury, Wellington, Marlborough.

New Zealand. 4 for everyone.

> 8. Sikkim, Gujarat, Tamil Nadu, Madhya Pradesh.

India. 4 for everyone.

> 9. Sonora, Hidalgo, Tlaxcala, Guanajuato.

Mexico. 4 for everyone.

> 10. Tirol, Vorarlberg, Kärnten (or Carinthia), Steiermark (or
> Styria).

Austria. 4 for everyone.

> This was originally written as a handout round with the lists on
> paper, so there were decoys provided -- 16 of them. Here they are.
> Answer them if you like for fun, but for no points.

> 11. Aceh, Papua, Irian Jaya Barat, Nusa Tenggara Timur.

Indonesia. Erland, Bruce, Joshua, Pete, and Dan Tilque got this.

> 12. Al-Qahirah, Bani Suwayf, Al-Iskandariyah, Al-Wadi al-Jadid.

Egypt. Erland, Joshua, and Dan Tilque got this.

> 13. Bahia, Paraná, Maranhão, Mato Grosso.

Brazil. Erland, Joshua, Pete, and Dan Tilque got this.

> 14. Budva, Zabljak, Pljevlja, Danilovgrad.

Montenegro.

> 15. Finnmark, Telemark, Nord-Trondelag, More og Romsdal.

Norway. Erland, Bruce, Pete, and Dan Tilque got this.

> 16. Harare, Masvingo, Midlands, Manicaland.

Zimbabwe. Erland, Pete, and Dan Tilque got this.

> 17. Holguín, Camagüey, Pinar del Río, Sancti Spíritus.

Cuba.

> 18. Kansas, Vermont, Kentucky, Mississippi.

US, duh. Erland, Bruce, Joshua, and Pete got this. And Dan Tilque
was stumped. :-)

> 19. Lac, Biltine, Mayo-Kebbi, Moyen-Chari.

Chad.

> 20. Limburg, Zeeland, Groningen, Gelderland.

Netherlands. Erland, Bruce, Pete, and Dan Tilque got this.

> 21. Limpopo, Mpumalanga, Western Cape, KwaZulu-Natal.

South Africa. Erland, Bruce, Joshua, Pete, and Dan Tilque got this.

> 22. Loja, Esmeraldas, Morona-Santiago, Zamora-Chinchipe.

Ecuador.

> 23. Maasin, Camiguin, Catanduanes, Surigao del Sur.

Philippines.

> 24. Salavan, Oudomxai, Phongsali, Louangphrabang.

Laos.

> 25. Vysocina, Karlovarsky Kraj, Kralovehradecky Kraj,
> Moravskoslezsky Kraj.

Czech Republic (or now Czechia). Erland got this.

> 26. Wales, England, Scotland, Northern Ireland.

UK, duh. Erland, Bruce, Joshua, and Pete got this. Stephen cleverly
named Earth.

> * Game 4, Round 3 - Canadiana - Booze

> 1. Canadian Club began production in 1858. It """is""" the
> best-selling Canadian whisky brand outside of North America
> and """is""" sold in more than 150 countries worldwide.
> Who """makes""" it?

Hiram Walker & Sons. (Still true, though I don't know about the
sales information. Also accepting Beam Suntory, which now owns the
brand name.) 4 for Stephen.

> 2. Where """is""" <answer 1> located?

Walkerville, Windsor, ON. (Still true. We originally wanted the
city, but accepted the district, which is a former municipality,
on a protest.)

> 3. What company's distillery, founded in 1832, forms what """is
> now""" known in Toronto as the Distillery District? It was
> owned in later years by <answer 1>.

Gooderham and Worts.

> 4. Molson's was founded by John Molson, making it North America's
> oldest brewing company, and Canada's second-oldest company of any
> kind (after the Hudson's Bay Co.). In what year, within 5?

1786 (accepting 1781-91). 4 for Stephen. 2 for Joshua.

> 5. Labatt Brewing Co. Ltd. """is""" a Canadian beer company,
> founded by John Kinder Labatt in 1847 -- in what city?

London, ON. (Still true, but it's now owned by Anheuser-Busch InBev.)
4 for Stephen.

> 6. While most of Canada is too cold for grape-growing, Canadian
> wine """is""" produced in the Niagara region of Southern Ontario
> and southern British Columbia. Name the largest wine-growing
> area in BC.

Okanagan. (Still true.) 4 for Dan Tilque and Stephen. 2 for Pete.

> 7. There """are""" two other wine-growing regions in Ontario,
> though they """are""" much smaller than the Niagara region.
> One is a county east of Toronto; the other is an area in
> Southwestern Ontario defined by the Vintners Quality Alliance.
> Each is on one of the Great Lakes. Name either one.

Prince Edward County; Lake Erie North Shore / Pelee Island (accepting
partial answers, but not just the name of the lake). Still true.
4 for Stephen.

> 8. """It's""" the provincial liquor monopoly of Quebec, with the
> initials SAQ. What does it stand for?

Société des alcools du Québec. (Still true.) 4 for Joshua
and Stephen.

> 9. In December 2006, the LCBO introduced their recycling program
> for bottles. There """are""" two different deposits, one
> for large glass bottles and one for small glass bottles and
> tetra-paks. Name either one of the two amounts that """are"""
> charged.

10¢, 20¢. (Still true.) 4 for Stephen. 2 for Joshua.

> 10. A Caesar, sometimes referred to as a "Bloody Caesar", is a
> cocktail mainly popular in Canada. It is served on the rocks
> in a large celery-salt rimmmed glass and typically garnished
> with a stalk of celery and a wedge of lime. For this trivia
> question, please order and drink one. No, actually: name *all
> four* ingredients in a typical Caesar. *Hint*: None of them is
> a citrus juice or pepper. *Note*: We're asking for the four
> ingredients that you or your bartender would mix to make it,
> not the ingredients that go into those!

Vodka, Tabasco sauce, Worcestershire sauce, Clamato. 4 for Joshua
and Stephen.

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAME 4 ROUNDS-> 2 3 TOTALS
TOPICS-> Geo Can
Stephen Perry 40 32 72
Joshua Kreitzer 40 12 52
Dan Tilque 40 4 44
Pete Gayde 40 2 42
Erland Sommarskog 40 0 40
Dan Blum 40 0 40
Bruce Bowler 36 0 36

--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "Canadian seals deal with creditors"
m...@vex.net | --Globe & Mail, Toronto, July 1, 1997