QFTCISG Current Events 5-6

Mark Brader

Oct 31, 2017, 1:33:15 AM10/31/17
These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on the dates
indicated below, and should be interpreted accordingly. If any
answers have changed due to newer news, you are still expected to
give the answers that were correct on that date.

Please post all your answers in a single followup to the newsgroup,
the correct answers in about 3 days.

All questions were written by members of Smith & Guessin' and are
used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have
been retyped and/or edited by me. The posting and tabulation of
current-events questions is independent of the concurrent posting
of other rounds. For further information see my recent companion
posting on "Questions from the Canadian Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

* Game 5 (2017-10-23), Round 1 - Current Events

1. This playoff season is unique in Major League Baseball. The New
York Yankees, Houston Astros, Los Angeles Dodgers, and Chicago
Cubs all entered the two league championship series leading
to this week's World Series. What makes this so unique and
lucrative for baseball?

2. After the Harvey Weinstein scandal in the US focused attention
on sexual harassment in the entertainment industry, two more
entertainment personalities, this time from Canada, have resigned
or been removed from their positions. Name either one.

3. New Zealand gets its youngest prime minister in 50 years after
the Labour Party joined with the New Zealand First Party to form
a new government this week. She is 37 years old and assumed
Labour's leadership in August. Elections on September 23
were inconclusive. Name her.

4. Two key aides for former premier Dalton McGuinty went on
trial last week for mischief and criminal breach of trust in
connection with the destruction of thousands of email messages
and other government records. The email and records were about
the government's controversial decision to cancel two gas-fired
power plants before the 2011 election. Name either one of the
two staffers.

5. These days, in our current economic climate, there aren't too
many large strikes. But last week faculty at Ontario's community
colleges went on strike, the main issue being the trend to
part-time rather than full-time teaching staff. About 70%
are now part-time but the union wants that to be 50% or less.
The number of students affected by the strike has been variously
reported as all the way from 220,000 to 500,000, depending on
who is counted, but how many colleges are involved, within 3?

6. Three men died in Fernie, BC, last week as they worked at the
town's memorial arena. it is believed the deaths may be the
first of their kind in Canada. What was the cause of death?

7. In a bid to avoid sky-high tariffs threatened by the US,
Bombardier has announced it plans to sell control of its
signature C Series plane to another aircraft manufacturer.
Which company has agreed to take over this venture in the hope
of new aerospace revenue for the next two decades?

8. A federal court based in Hawaii has blocked a third attempt
by the Trump administration to limit entry to the US from six
Muslim-majority countries. Visa restrictions will still be
permitted, but family members of American citizens and sponsored
refugees will not be prohibited from entry. The Supreme Court
is soon expected to rule on the issue of keeping out residents
of Muslim-majority countries. Name *any three* of the six.
(Note: North Korea and Venezuela were also affected by the
executive order but are outside the scope of the court case.)

9. In one of the biggest terrorist attacks so far in 2017,
276 people were killed and hundreds more injured by a truck
bomb. Name the *city and country* where this took place.

10. In Quebec a controversial new law called the Religious
Neutrality Act came into effect this past week. It is intended
to prevent Muslim women wearing the niqab from getting government
services without showing their faces. However, the provincial
government contends it is not discriminating against Muslim
women, because what non-religious item would also have to be
removed to receive government services under the new act?

* Game 6 (2017-10-30), Round 1 - Current Events

1. He played Benson in a hit TV comedy from 1979 to 1986, and
he voiced Rafiki in "The Lion King". He died last week at 89.
Who was he?

2. This piano-playing rock-and-roller from New Orleans is best
known for his cover of the 1940 song "Blueberry Hill". He also
died last week at 89. Name him.

3. An African leader has his controversial appointment as a
goodwill ambassador for the World Health Organization rescinded
after widespread protests. Name him.

4. In Japan, the ruling Liberal Democratic Party coalition won
another election victory last week. Name the prime minister
who consequently will soon become Japan's longest-serving one.

5. The new US ambassador to Canada, Kelly Craft, who is married to
a coal billionaire, made the news with what statement soon
after taking office?

6. The manager of the New York Yankees was fired last week after
10 years on the job, including a World Series victory in 2009.
Name him.

7. Canadian athletes are tuning up for the upcoming Winter Olympics
in South Korea. Our figure skaters won gold medals in two
events at Skate Canada. Name *either* the women's singles
winner *or both* members of the winning ice-dancing team.

8. What prominent author and feminist activist spoke in Toronto
last week at Branksome Hall, a private girls' school?

9. Alberta's newly formed United Conservative Party elected a new
leader this past Saturday. Who?

10. The Canada C3 Expedition just ended a 150-day, 23,000 km voyage
around Canada's three coasts to mark the country's 150th
anniversary year. "Canada C3" ("C3" as in "coast to coast to
coast") was the temporary name of the ship used for this journey;
what is its usual name?

--
Mark Brader | "...not one accident in a hundred deserves the name.
Toronto | [This occurrence] was simply the legitimate result

Marc Dashevsky

Oct 31, 2017, 3:00:55 AM10/31/17
In article <3LSdnUfWQc2LlmXE...@giganews.com>, m...@vex.net says...
> * Game 5 (2017-10-23), Round 1 - Current Events
>
> 1. This playoff season is unique in Major League Baseball. The New
> York Yankees, Houston Astros, Los Angeles Dodgers, and Chicago
> Cubs all entered the two league championship series leading
> to this week's World Series. What makes this so unique and
> lucrative for baseball?
Among the largest TV markets in the country so advertising will yield much profits
Yemen, Somalia, Syria

> 9. In one of the biggest terrorist attacks so far in 2017,
> 276 people were killed and hundreds more injured by a truck
> bomb. Name the *city and country* where this took place.
>
> 10. In Quebec a controversial new law called the Religious
> Neutrality Act came into effect this past week. It is intended
> to prevent Muslim women wearing the niqab from getting government
> services without showing their faces. However, the provincial
> government contends it is not discriminating against Muslim
> women, because what non-religious item would also have to be
> removed to receive government services under the new act?
>

> * Game 6 (2017-10-30), Round 1 - Current Events
>
> 1. He played Benson in a hit TV comedy from 1979 to 1986, and
> he voiced Rafiki in "The Lion King". He died last week at 89.
> Who was he?
Robert Guillaume

> 2. This piano-playing rock-and-roller from New Orleans is best
> known for his cover of the 1940 song "Blueberry Hill". He also
> died last week at 89. Name him.
Antoine "Fats" Domino

> 3. An African leader has his controversial appointment as a
> goodwill ambassador for the World Health Organization rescinded
> after widespread protests. Name him.
Robert Mugabe

> 4. In Japan, the ruling Liberal Democratic Party coalition won
> another election victory last week. Name the prime minister
> who consequently will soon become Japan's longest-serving one.
Abe

> 5. The new US ambassador to Canada, Kelly Craft, who is married to
> a coal billionaire, made the news with what statement soon
> after taking office?
>
> 6. The manager of the New York Yankees was fired last week after
> 10 years on the job, including a World Series victory in 2009.
> Name him.
Joe Girardi

> 7. Canadian athletes are tuning up for the upcoming Winter Olympics
> in South Korea. Our figure skaters won gold medals in two
> events at Skate Canada. Name *either* the women's singles
> winner *or both* members of the winning ice-dancing team.
>
> 8. What prominent author and feminist activist spoke in Toronto
> last week at Branksome Hall, a private girls' school?
>
> 9. Alberta's newly formed United Conservative Party elected a new
> leader this past Saturday. Who?
>
> 10. The Canada C3 Expedition just ended a 150-day, 23,000 km voyage
> around Canada's three coasts to mark the country's 150th
> anniversary year. "Canada C3" ("C3" as in "coast to coast to
> coast") was the temporary name of the ship used for this journey;
> what is its usual name?

---
http://www.avg.com

Dan Blum

Oct 31, 2017, 8:53:56 AM10/31/17
Mark Brader <m...@vex.net> wrote:

> * Game 5 (2017-10-23), Round 1 - Current Events

> 1. This playoff season is unique in Major League Baseball. The New
> York Yankees, Houston Astros, Los Angeles Dodgers, and Chicago
> Cubs all entered the two league championship series leading
> to this week's World Series. What makes this so unique and
> lucrative for baseball?

They are in the four largest TV markets that have major league teams.

> 5. These days, in our current economic climate, there aren't too
> many large strikes. But last week faculty at Ontario's community
> colleges went on strike, the main issue being the trend to
> part-time rather than full-time teaching staff. About 70%
> are now part-time but the union wants that to be 50% or less.
> The number of students affected by the strike has been variously
> reported as all the way from 220,000 to 500,000, depending on
> who is counted, but how many colleges are involved, within 3?

15; 25

> 6. Three men died in Fernie, BC, last week as they worked at the
> town's memorial arena. it is believed the deaths may be the
> first of their kind in Canada. What was the cause of death?

heatstroke; hit by an errant drone

> 7. In a bid to avoid sky-high tariffs threatened by the US,
> Bombardier has announced it plans to sell control of its
> signature C Series plane to another aircraft manufacturer.
> Which company has agreed to take over this venture in the hope
> of new aerospace revenue for the next two decades?

Boeing; McDonnell-Douglas

> 8. A federal court based in Hawaii has blocked a third attempt
> by the Trump administration to limit entry to the US from six
> Muslim-majority countries. Visa restrictions will still be
> permitted, but family members of American citizens and sponsored
> refugees will not be prohibited from entry. The Supreme Court
> is soon expected to rule on the issue of keeping out residents
> of Muslim-majority countries. Name *any three* of the six.
> (Note: North Korea and Venezuela were also affected by the
> executive order but are outside the scope of the court case.)

Syria, Iran, and Iraq

> 9. In one of the biggest terrorist attacks so far in 2017,
> 276 people were killed and hundreds more injured by a truck
> bomb. Name the *city and country* where this took place.

Mogadishu, Somalia

> 10. In Quebec a controversial new law called the Religious
> Neutrality Act came into effect this past week. It is intended
> to prevent Muslim women wearing the niqab from getting government
> services without showing their faces. However, the provincial
> government contends it is not discriminating against Muslim
> women, because what non-religious item would also have to be
> removed to receive government services under the new act?

sunglasses

> * Game 6 (2017-10-30), Round 1 - Current Events

> 1. He played Benson in a hit TV comedy from 1979 to 1986, and
> he voiced Rafiki in "The Lion King". He died last week at 89.
> Who was he?

Robert Guillame

> 2. This piano-playing rock-and-roller from New Orleans is best
> known for his cover of the 1940 song "Blueberry Hill". He also
> died last week at 89. Name him.

Fats Domino

> 3. An African leader has his controversial appointment as a
> goodwill ambassador for the World Health Organization rescinded
> after widespread protests. Name him.

Mugabe

> 4. In Japan, the ruling Liberal Democratic Party coalition won
> another election victory last week. Name the prime minister
> who consequently will soon become Japan's longest-serving one.

Abe

> 5. The new US ambassador to Canada, Kelly Craft, who is married to
> a coal billionaire, made the news with what statement soon
> after taking office?

She believes "both sides" of climate change science

> 8. What prominent author and feminist activist spoke in Toronto
> last week at Branksome Hall, a private girls' school?

Margaret Atwood

Dan Blum to...@panix.com

Joshua Kreitzer

Oct 31, 2017, 9:14:17 AM10/31/17
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:3LSdnUfWQc2LlmXEnZ2dnUU7-
RfN...@giganews.com:

> * Game 5 (2017-10-23), Round 1 - Current Events
>
> 1. This playoff season is unique in Major League Baseball. The New
> York Yankees, Houston Astros, Los Angeles Dodgers, and Chicago
> Cubs all entered the two league championship series leading
> to this week's World Series. What makes this so unique and
> lucrative for baseball?

those teams are from the 4 largest cities in the U.S., thus making
higher television ratings likely

> 5. These days, in our current economic climate, there aren't too
> many large strikes. But last week faculty at Ontario's community
> colleges went on strike, the main issue being the trend to
> part-time rather than full-time teaching staff. About 70%
> are now part-time but the union wants that to be 50% or less.
> The number of students affected by the strike has been variously
> reported as all the way from 220,000 to 500,000, depending on
> who is counted, but how many colleges are involved, within 3?

30

> 8. A federal court based in Hawaii has blocked a third attempt
> by the Trump administration to limit entry to the US from six
> Muslim-majority countries. Visa restrictions will still be
> permitted, but family members of American citizens and sponsored
> refugees will not be prohibited from entry. The Supreme Court
> is soon expected to rule on the issue of keeping out residents
> of Muslim-majority countries. Name *any three* of the six.
> (Note: North Korea and Venezuela were also affected by the
> executive order but are outside the scope of the court case.)

Iran, Syria, Libya

> * Game 6 (2017-10-30), Round 1 - Current Events
>
> 1. He played Benson in a hit TV comedy from 1979 to 1986, and
> he voiced Rafiki in "The Lion King". He died last week at 89.
> Who was he?

Robert Guillaume

> 2. This piano-playing rock-and-roller from New Orleans is best
> known for his cover of the 1940 song "Blueberry Hill". He also
> died last week at 89. Name him.

Fats Domino

> 3. An African leader has his controversial appointment as a
> goodwill ambassador for the World Health Organization rescinded
> after widespread protests. Name him.

Robert Mugabe

> 4. In Japan, the ruling Liberal Democratic Party coalition won
> another election victory last week. Name the prime minister
> who consequently will soon become Japan's longest-serving one.

Abe

--
Joshua Kreitzer
grom...@hotmail.com

Erland Sommarskog

Oct 31, 2017, 12:28:44 PM10/31/17
Mark Brader (m...@vex.net) writes:
> 2. After the Harvey Weinstein scandal in the US focused attention
> on sexual harassment in the entertainment industry, two more
> entertainment personalities, this time from Canada, have resigned
> or been removed from their positions. Name either one.

Martin Timell

Oh wait, he is not Canadian. But there are dirty men falling from grace
all over the planet now.

> 8. A federal court based in Hawaii has blocked a third attempt
> by the Trump administration to limit entry to the US from six
> Muslim-majority countries. Visa restrictions will still be
> permitted, but family members of American citizens and sponsored
> refugees will not be prohibited from entry. The Supreme Court
> is soon expected to rule on the issue of keeping out residents
> of Muslim-majority countries. Name *any three* of the six.
> (Note: North Korea and Venezuela were also affected by the
> executive order but are outside the scope of the court case.)

Somalia, Sudan and Iran

> 9. In one of the biggest terrorist attacks so far in 2017,
> 276 people were killed and hundreds more injured by a truck
> bomb. Name the *city and country* where this took place.

Mogadishu, Somalia

> 10. In Quebec a controversial new law called the Religious
> Neutrality Act came into effect this past week. It is intended
> to prevent Muslim women wearing the niqab from getting government
> services without showing their faces. However, the provincial
> government contends it is not discriminating against Muslim
> women, because what non-religious item would also have to be
> removed to receive government services under the new act?

Mouth shields

> * Game 6 (2017-10-30), Round 1 - Current Events
> 2. This piano-playing rock-and-roller from New Orleans is best
> known for his cover of the 1940 song "Blueberry Hill". He also
> died last week at 89. Name him.

Fats Dominao

> 3. An African leader has his controversial appointment as a
> goodwill ambassador for the World Health Organization rescinded
> after widespread protests. Name him.

Zuma

> 4. In Japan, the ruling Liberal Democratic Party coalition won
> another election victory last week. Name the prime minister
> who consequently will soon become Japan's longest-serving one.

Abe

Peter Smyth

Oct 31, 2017, 2:17:11 PM10/31/17
Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 5 (2017-10-23), Round 1 - Current Events
>
> 1. This playoff season is unique in Major League Baseball. The New
> York Yankees, Houston Astros, Los Angeles Dodgers, and Chicago
> Cubs all entered the two league championship series leading
> to this week's World Series. What makes this so unique and
> lucrative for baseball?
They are the biggest four television markets
Yemen, Somalia, Iran
> 9. In one of the biggest terrorist attacks so far in 2017,
> 276 people were killed and hundreds more injured by a truck
> bomb. Name the *city and country* where this took place.
>
> 10. In Quebec a controversial new law called the Religious
> Neutrality Act came into effect this past week. It is intended
> to prevent Muslim women wearing the niqab from getting government
> services without showing their faces. However, the provincial
> government contends it is not discriminating against Muslim
> women, because what non-religious item would also have to be
> removed to receive government services under the new act?
Motorcycle helmets

> * Game 6 (2017-10-30), Round 1 - Current Events
>
> 1. He played Benson in a hit TV comedy from 1979 to 1986, and
> he voiced Rafiki in "The Lion King". He died last week at 89.
> Who was he?
>
> 2. This piano-playing rock-and-roller from New Orleans is best
> known for his cover of the 1940 song "Blueberry Hill". He also
> died last week at 89. Name him.
Fats Domino
> 3. An African leader has his controversial appointment as a
> goodwill ambassador for the World Health Organization rescinded
> after widespread protests. Name him.
Robert Mugabe
> 4. In Japan, the ruling Liberal Democratic Party coalition won
> another election victory last week. Name the prime minister
> who consequently will soon become Japan's longest-serving one.
Abe
> 5. The new US ambassador to Canada, Kelly Craft, who is married to
> a coal billionaire, made the news with what statement soon
> after taking office?
>
> 6. The manager of the New York Yankees was fired last week after
> 10 years on the job, including a World Series victory in 2009.
> Name him.
>
> 7. Canadian athletes are tuning up for the upcoming Winter Olympics
> in South Korea. Our figure skaters won gold medals in two
> events at Skate Canada. Name either the women's singles
> winner *or both* members of the winning ice-dancing team.
>
> 8. What prominent author and feminist activist spoke in Toronto
> last week at Branksome Hall, a private girls' school?
>
> 9. Alberta's newly formed United Conservative Party elected a new
> leader this past Saturday. Who?
>
> 10. The Canada C3 Expedition just ended a 150-day, 23,000 km voyage
> around Canada's three coasts to mark the country's 150th
> anniversary year. "Canada C3" ("C3" as in "coast to coast to
> coast") was the temporary name of the ship used for this journey;
> what is its usual name?

Peter Smyth

Dan Tilque

Nov 2, 2017, 11:46:37 PM11/2/17
Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 5 (2017-10-23), Round 1 - Current Events
>
> 1. This playoff season is unique in Major League Baseball. The New
> York Yankees, Houston Astros, Los Angeles Dodgers, and Chicago
> Cubs all entered the two league championship series leading
> to this week's World Series. What makes this so unique and
> lucrative for baseball?

The teams are in the 5 largest metro areas
Yemen, Iran, Libya

> 9. In one of the biggest terrorist attacks so far in 2017,
> 276 people were killed and hundreds more injured by a truck
> bomb. Name the *city and country* where this took place.
>
> 10. In Quebec a controversial new law called the Religious
> Neutrality Act came into effect this past week. It is intended
> to prevent Muslim women wearing the niqab from getting government
> services without showing their faces. However, the provincial
> government contends it is not discriminating against Muslim
> women, because what non-religious item would also have to be
> removed to receive government services under the new act?

hats

--
Dan Tilque

Pete Gayde

Nov 3, 2017, 12:49:27 AM11/3/17
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:3LSdnUfWQc2LlmXEnZ2dnUU7-
RfN...@giganews.com:

> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on the dates
> indicated below, and should be interpreted accordingly. If any
> answers have changed due to newer news, you are still expected to
> give the answers that were correct on that date.

> Please post all your answers in a single followup to the newsgroup,
> the correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of Smith & Guessin' and are
> used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have
> been retyped and/or edited by me. The posting and tabulation of
> current-events questions is independent of the concurrent posting
> of other rounds. For further information see my recent companion
> posting on "Questions from the Canadian Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>

> * Game 5 (2017-10-23), Round 1 - Current Events
>
> 1. This playoff season is unique in Major League Baseball. The New
> York Yankees, Houston Astros, Los Angeles Dodgers, and Chicago
> Cubs all entered the two league championship series leading
> to this week's World Series. What makes this so unique and
> lucrative for baseball?

The 4 most populous cities in the US
Boeing; Airbus

> 8. A federal court based in Hawaii has blocked a third attempt
> by the Trump administration to limit entry to the US from six
> Muslim-majority countries. Visa restrictions will still be
> permitted, but family members of American citizens and sponsored
> refugees will not be prohibited from entry. The Supreme Court
> is soon expected to rule on the issue of keeping out residents
> of Muslim-majority countries. Name *any three* of the six.
> (Note: North Korea and Venezuela were also affected by the
> executive order but are outside the scope of the court case.)

Iran, Syria, Chad

> 9. In one of the biggest terrorist attacks so far in 2017,
> 276 people were killed and hundreds more injured by a truck
> bomb. Name the *city and country* where this took place.

Mogadishu, Somalia

> 10. In Quebec a controversial new law called the Religious
> Neutrality Act came into effect this past week. It is intended
> to prevent Muslim women wearing the niqab from getting government
> services without showing their faces. However, the provincial
> government contends it is not discriminating against Muslim
> women, because what non-religious item would also have to be
> removed to receive government services under the new act?
>

> * Game 6 (2017-10-30), Round 1 - Current Events
>
> 1. He played Benson in a hit TV comedy from 1979 to 1986, and
> he voiced Rafiki in "The Lion King". He died last week at 89.
> Who was he?

Guillaume

> 2. This piano-playing rock-and-roller from New Orleans is best
> known for his cover of the 1940 song "Blueberry Hill". He also
> died last week at 89. Name him.

Fats Domino

> 3. An African leader has his controversial appointment as a
> goodwill ambassador for the World Health Organization rescinded
> after widespread protests. Name him.

Mugabe

> 4. In Japan, the ruling Liberal Democratic Party coalition won
> another election victory last week. Name the prime minister
> who consequently will soon become Japan's longest-serving one.

Abe

> 5. The new US ambassador to Canada, Kelly Craft, who is married to
> a coal billionaire, made the news with what statement soon
> after taking office?

CO2 is good

> 6. The manager of the New York Yankees was fired last week after
> 10 years on the job, including a World Series victory in 2009.
> Name him.

Girardi

> 7. Canadian athletes are tuning up for the upcoming Winter Olympics
> in South Korea. Our figure skaters won gold medals in two
> events at Skate Canada. Name *either* the women's singles
> winner *or both* members of the winning ice-dancing team.
>
> 8. What prominent author and feminist activist spoke in Toronto
> last week at Branksome Hall, a private girls' school?
>
> 9. Alberta's newly formed United Conservative Party elected a new
> leader this past Saturday. Who?
>
> 10. The Canada C3 Expedition just ended a 150-day, 23,000 km voyage
> around Canada's three coasts to mark the country's 150th
> anniversary year. "Canada C3" ("C3" as in "coast to coast to
> coast") was the temporary name of the ship used for this journey;
> what is its usual name?

Pete Gayde

Mark Brader

Nov 3, 2017, 2:58:59 AM11/3/17
Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on the dates
> indicated below, and should be interpreted accordingly. If any
> answers have changed due to newer news, you are still expected to
> give the answers that were correct on that date... For further
> information see my recent companion posting on "Questions from
> the Canadian Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

> * Game 5 (2017-10-23), Round 1 - Current Events

> 1. This playoff season is unique in Major League Baseball. The New
> York Yankees, Houston Astros, Los Angeles Dodgers, and Chicago
> Cubs all entered the two league championship series leading
> to this week's World Series. What makes this so unique and
> lucrative for baseball?

The expected answer was that the teams represented the four largest
urban areas in the US, and therefore the largest TV markets. In fact,
as far as I can see, Houston is not #4, but #5 to #7 depending on how
the boundaries are drawn; I'm accepting anything giving the general
idea. 4 for Marc, Dan Blum, Joshua, Peter, Dan Tilque, and Pete.

> 2. After the Harvey Weinstein scandal in the US focused attention
> on sexual harassment in the entertainment industry, two more
> entertainment personalities, this time from Canada, have resigned
> or been removed from their positions. Name either one.

Gilbert Rozon ("Just for Laughs" founder), Eric Salvail (TV and
radio star and producer in Quebec).

> 3. New Zealand gets its youngest prime minister in 50 years after
> the Labour Party joined with the New Zealand First Party to form
> a new government this week. She is 37 years old and assumed
> Labour's leadership in August. Elections on September 23
> were inconclusive. Name her.

Jacinda Ardern.

> 4. Two key aides for former premier Dalton McGuinty went on
> trial last week for mischief and criminal breach of trust in
> connection with the destruction of thousands of email messages
> and other government records. The email and records were about
> the government's controversial decision to cancel two gas-fired
> power plants before the 2011 election. Name either one of the
> two staffers.

David Livingston (chief of staff), Laura Miller (deputy chief
of staff).

> 5. These days, in our current economic climate, there aren't too
> many large strikes. But last week faculty at Ontario's community
> colleges went on strike, the main issue being the trend to
> part-time rather than full-time teaching staff. About 70%
> are now part-time but the union wants that to be 50% or less.
> The number of students affected by the strike has been variously
> reported as all the way from 220,000 to 500,000, depending on
> who is counted, but how many colleges are involved, within 3?

24 (accepting 21-27). 2 for Dan Blum.

The original version of this question asked for the number of students
affected, within 20,000 -- drawing quite a few protests. I figured the
best thing to do was flip it around and ask how many colleges.

> 6. Three men died in Fernie, BC, last week as they worked at the
> town's memorial arena. it is believed the deaths may be the
> first of their kind in Canada. What was the cause of death?

Poisoning from an ammonia leak. Ammonia is used as a refrigerant
in many of the 2,500 hockey rinks in Canada.

> 7. In a bid to avoid sky-high tariffs threatened by the US,
> Bombardier has announced it plans to sell control of its
> signature C Series plane to another aircraft manufacturer.
> Which company has agreed to take over this venture in the hope
> of new aerospace revenue for the next two decades?

Airbus Group. 2 for Pete.

> 8. A federal court based in Hawaii has blocked a third attempt
> by the Trump administration to limit entry to the US from six
> Muslim-majority countries. Visa restrictions will still be
> permitted, but family members of American citizens and sponsored
> refugees will not be prohibited from entry. The Supreme Court
> is soon expected to rule on the issue of keeping out residents
> of Muslim-majority countries. Name *any three* of the six.
> (Note: North Korea and Venezuela were also affected by the
> executive order but are outside the scope of the court case.)

Chad, Iran, Libya, Somalia, Syria, Yemen. 4 for Marc, Joshua,
Erland, Peter, Dan Tilque, and Pete.

> 9. In one of the biggest terrorist attacks so far in 2017,
> 276 people were killed and hundreds more injured by a truck
> bomb. Name the *city and country* where this took place.

Mogadishu, Somalia. 4 for Dan Blum, Erland, and Pete.

> 10. In Quebec a controversial new law called the Religious
> Neutrality Act came into effect this past week. It is intended
> to prevent Muslim women wearing the niqab from getting government
> services without showing their faces. However, the provincial
> government contends it is not discriminating against Muslim
> women, because what non-religious item would also have to be
> removed to receive government services under the new act?

Dark sunglasses. 4 for Dan Blum.

> * Game 6 (2017-10-30), Round 1 - Current Events

> 1. He played Benson in a hit TV comedy from 1979 to 1986, and
> he voiced Rafiki in "The Lion King". He died last week at 89.
> Who was he?

Robert Guillaume. 4 for Marc, Dan Blum, Joshua, and Pete.

> 2. This piano-playing rock-and-roller from New Orleans is best
> known for his cover of the 1940 song "Blueberry Hill". He also
> died last week at 89. Name him.

Fats (or Antoine) Domino. 4 for Marc, Dan Blum, Joshua, Erland,
Peter, and Pete.

> 3. An African leader has his controversial appointment as a
> goodwill ambassador for the World Health Organization rescinded
> after widespread protests. Name him.

Robert Mugabe. 4 for Marc, Dan Blum, Joshua, Peter, and Pete.

> 4. In Japan, the ruling Liberal Democratic Party coalition won
> another election victory last week. Name the prime minister
> who consequently will soon become Japan's longest-serving one.

Shinzo Abe. (A youngster for this round so far -- he's a mere 63.
Mugabe is 93.) 4 for everyone -- Marc, Dan Blum, Joshua, Erland,
Peter, Dan Tilque, and Pete.

> 5. The new US ambassador to Canada, Kelly Craft, who is married to
> a coal billionaire, made the news with what statement soon
> after taking office?

On the topic of climate change: "I think that both sides have their
own results, from their studies, and I appreciate and I respect both
sides of the science." 4 for Dan Blum.

> 6. The manager of the New York Yankees was fired last week after
> 10 years on the job, including a World Series victory in 2009.
> Name him.

Joe Girardi. 4 for Marc and Pete.

> 7. Canadian athletes are tuning up for the upcoming Winter Olympics
> in South Korea. Our figure skaters won gold medals in two
> events at Skate Canada. Name *either* the women's singles
> winner *or both* members of the winning ice-dancing team.

Kaetlyn Osmond, Tessa Virtue and Scott Moir.

> 8. What prominent author and feminist activist spoke in Toronto
> last week at Branksome Hall, a private girls' school?

Gloria Steinem.

> 9. Alberta's newly formed United Conservative Party elected a new
> leader this past Saturday. Who?

Jason Kenney.

> 10. The Canada C3 Expedition just ended a 150-day, 23,000 km voyage
> around Canada's three coasts to mark the country's 150th
> anniversary year. "Canada C3" ("C3" as in "coast to coast to
> coast") was the temporary name of the ship used for this journey;
> what is its usual name?

"Polar Prince".

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAMES-> 1 2 3 4 5 6 BEST FOUR
Pete Gayde 14 15 20 28 14 20 83
Joshua Kreitzer 20 20 20 16 8 16 76
Dan Blum 15 19 12 20 14 20 74
Marc Dashevsky 12 12 20 16 8 20 68
Peter Smyth 20 15 16 12 8 12 63
Bruce Bowler 7 20 8 16 -- -- 51
Erland Sommarskog 12 12 4 19 8 8 51
Dan Tilque 11 12 8 16 8 4 47
Jason Kreitzer -- -- 4 12 -- -- 16

--
Mark Brader | "UNIX are quality sectional bookcases, made of solid oak.
Toronto | Open or glass-fronted, in three sizes and three finishes,
| -- Daily Mail Ideal Home Book, 1951-52

Mark Brader

Nov 5, 2017, 4:39:18 AM11/5/17
Mark Brader:
> > These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on the dates
> > indicated below, and should be interpreted accordingly. If any
> > answers have changed due to newer news, you are still expected to
> > give the answers that were correct on that date... For further
> > information see my recent companion posting on "Questions from
> > the Canadian Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>

> > * Game 5 (2017-10-23), Round 1 - Current Events
>
> > 1. This playoff season is unique in Major League Baseball. The New
> > York Yankees, Houston Astros, Los Angeles Dodgers, and Chicago
> > Cubs all entered the two league championship series leading
> > to this week's World Series. What makes this so unique and
> > lucrative for baseball?
>
> The expected answer was that the teams represented the four largest
> urban areas in the US, and therefore the largest TV markets. In fact,
> as far as I can see, Houston is not #4, but #5 to #7 depending on how
> the boundaries are drawn...

Further to the above, I now see where the error arose. Houston is #4
(after the same top three) if only the *city proper* population is
considered. It didn't occur to me to check that before, because of
course city limits are irrevelant to TV markets. Anyway, now we know.
--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "The brain is amazing when it's amazing, with
m...@vex.net | apologies to Robert Biddle." --Steve Summit