Calvin's Quiz #569

Calvin

Jul 14, 2019, 11:31:31 PM7/14/19

1 In cookery, what French word meaning 'jumped' refers to tossing or shaking food in hot fat?
2 Which rapper's hit single "Lose Yourself" won the Academy Award for Best Original Song in 2003, the first hip-hop song to receive such an accolade?
3 What is Charlie Brown's best-known expression of dismay?
4 Winners at the Venice Film Festival receive a golden statue of which animal?
5 The Pirelli Skyscraper is located in which Italian city?
6 Which sign of the zodiac is represented by fishes?
7 Why is the green basilisk lizard (Basiliscus plumifrons) also known as the 'Jesus Christ lizard'?
8 Designed to deliver troops from aircraft to the ground as quickly as possible, what does the acronym HALO stand for in relation to a parachute jump?
9 The 1994 comedy film "Ace Ventura: Pet Detective" starring Jim Carrey is set in which US city?
10 Which 2008 rom-com starred Jason Segel, Kristen Bell, Mila Kunis and Russell Brand?

cheers,
calvin

Dan Blum

Jul 15, 2019, 12:03:14 AM7/15/19
Calvin <334...@gmail.com> wrote:

> 1 In cookery, what French word meaning 'jumped' refers to tossing or shaking food in hot fat?

salte

> 2 Which rapper's hit single "Lose Yourself" won the??Academy Award for Best Original Song??in 2003, the first hip-hop song to receive such an accolade?

Eminem

> 3 What is Charlie Brown's best-known expression of dismay?

Good grief

> 4 Winners at the Venice Film Festival receive a golden statue of which animal?

lion

> 5 The Pirelli Skyscraper??is located in which Italian city?

Milan

> 6 Which sign of the zodiac is represented by fishes?

Pisces

> 7 Why is the green basilisk lizard (Basiliscus plumifrons) also known as the 'Jesus Christ lizard'?

it can walk across water

> 8 Designed to deliver troops from aircraft to the ground as quickly as possible, what does the acronym HALO stand for in relation to a parachute jump?

high altitude low opening

Dan Blum to...@panix.com

Mark Brader

Jul 15, 2019, 12:26:59 AM7/15/19
"Calvin":
> 1 In cookery, what French word meaning 'jumped' refers to
> tossing or shaking food in hot fat?

Sautee.

> 2 Which rapper's hit single "Lose Yourself" won the Academy
> Award for Best Original Song in 2003, the first hip-hop song
> to receive such an accolade?

Enimem?

> 3 What is Charlie Brown's best-known expression of dismay?

"Good grief!"

> 4 Winners at the Venice Film Festival receive a golden statue
> of which animal?

Lion?

> 5 The Pirelli Skyscraper is located in which Italian city?

Milan?

> 6 Which sign of the zodiac is represented by fishes?

Pisces.

> 7 Why is the green basilisk lizard (Basiliscus plumifrons) also
> known as the 'Jesus Christ lizard'?

It has a cross-shaped marking?

> 8 Designed to deliver troops from aircraft to the ground as
> quickly as possible, what does the acronym HALO stand for in
> relation to a parachute jump?

High-altitude, low opening.

> 9 The 1994 comedy film "Ace Ventura: Pet
> Detective" starring Jim Carrey is set in which US city?

Miami?

> 10 Which 2008 rom-com starred Jason Segel, Kristen Bell, Mila
> Kunis and Russell Brand?

"Friends with Benefits"?

(If I was allowed a second guess it'd be "No Strings Attached", which
had the same premise and came out about the same time. I didn't see
either one and am not sure who was in which.)
--
Mark Brader | "... you're a detective, you like mysteries."
Toronto | "I hate mysteries. What I like are *solutions*."

Mark Brader

Jul 15, 2019, 12:27:41 AM7/15/19
Dan Blum:
> it can walk across water

Oh, duh. :-(
--
Mark Brader | "...Backwards Compatibility, which, if you've made as
m...@vex.net | many mistakes as Intel and Microsoft have in the past,

Erland Sommarskog

Jul 15, 2019, 5:07:49 AM7/15/19
Calvin (334...@gmail.com) writes:

> 5 The Pirelli Skyscraper is located in which Italian city?

Torino

> 6 Which sign of the zodiac is represented by fishes?

Pisces

Joe

Jul 15, 2019, 3:01:44 PM7/15/19
On 2019-07-15 03:31:30 +0000, Calvin said:

> 1 In cookery, what French word meaning 'jumped' refers to tossing or
> shaking food in hot fat?
> 2 Which rapper's hit single "Lose Yourself" won the Academy Award for
> Best Original Song in 2003, the first hip-hop song to receive such an
> accolade?

P Diddy?

> 3 What is Charlie Brown's best-known expression of dismay?

Good grief

> 4 Winners at the Venice Film Festival receive a golden statue of which animal?

Bear

> 5 The Pirelli Skyscraper is located in which Italian city?

Milan?

> 6 Which sign of the zodiac is represented by fishes?

Pisces

> 7 Why is the green basilisk lizard (Basiliscus plumifrons) also known
> as the 'Jesus Christ lizard'?
> 8 Designed to deliver troops from aircraft to the ground as quickly as
> possible, what does the acronym HALO stand for in relation to a
> parachute jump?

Highly accelerated landing. Ouch!

> 9 The 1994 comedy film "Ace Ventura: Pet Detective" starring Jim Carrey
> is set in which US city?

Seattle?

--
“To err, as they say, is human. To forgive is divine. To err by
withholding your forgiveness until it’s too late is to become divinely

Bruce Bowler

Jul 16, 2019, 3:49:20 PM7/16/19
On Sun, 14 Jul 2019 20:31:30 -0700, Calvin wrote:

> 1 In cookery, what French word meaning 'jumped' refers to tossing or
> shaking food in hot fat?

Saute

> 2 Which rapper's hit single "Lose Yourself" won the Academy Award
for
> Best Original Song in 2003, the first hip-hop song to receive such an
> accolade?
> 3 What is Charlie Brown's best-known expression of dismay?

Rats

> 4 Winners at the Venice Film Festival receive a golden statue of
which
> animal?
> 5 The Pirelli Skyscraper is located in which Italian city?
> 6 Which sign of the zodiac is represented by fishes?

Pisces

> 7 Why is the green basilisk lizard (Basiliscus plumifrons) also
known as
> the 'Jesus Christ lizard'?

It can walk/run on water

> 8 Designed to deliver troops from aircraft to the ground as quickly
as
> possible, what does the acronym HALO stand for in relation to a
> parachute jump?

High Altitude Low Opening

Pete Gayde

Jul 16, 2019, 5:44:24 PM7/16/19
Calvin <334...@gmail.com> wrote in

> 1 In cookery, what French word meaning 'jumped' refers to tossing
> or shaking food in hot fat?
> 2 Which rapper's hit single "Lose
> Yourself" won the Academy Award for Best Original Song in 2003, the
> first hip-hop song to receive such an accolade?
> 3 What is Charlie
> Brown's best-known expression of dismay?

Rats

> 4 Winners at the Venice Film Festival receive a golden statue of
> which animal?
> 5 The Pirelli Skyscraper is located in which Italian city?

Milan

> 6 Which sign of the zodiac is represented by fishes?

Pisces

> 7 Why is the green
> basilisk lizard (Basiliscus plumifrons) also known as the 'Jesus
> Christ lizard'?
> 8 Designed to deliver troops from aircraft to the
> ground as quickly as possible, what does the acronym HALO stand for in
> relation to a parachute jump?
> 9 The 1994 comedy film "Ace Ventura:
> Pet Detective" starring Jim Carrey is set in which US city?
> 10
> Which 2008 rom-com starred Jason Segel, Kristen Bell, Mila Kunis and
> Russell Brand?

Forgetting Sarah Marshall

> cheers,
> calvin

Pete Gayde

Calvin

Jul 25, 2019, 11:58:45 PM7/25/19
On Monday, July 15, 2019 at 1:31:31 PM UTC+10, Calvin wrote:

> 1 In cookery, what French word meaning 'jumped' refers to tossing or shaking food in hot fat?

Saute

> 2 Which rapper's hit single "Lose Yourself" won the Academy Award for Best Original Song in 2003, the first hip-hop song to receive such an accolade?

Eminem / Marshall Mathers

> 3 What is Charlie Brown's best-known expression of dismay?

Good grief!

> 4 Winners at the Venice Film Festival receive a golden statue of which animal?

Lion
The bear is Berlin

> 5 The Pirelli Skyscraper is located in which Italian city?

Milan

> 6 Which sign of the zodiac is represented by fishes?

Pisces

> 7 Why is the green basilisk lizard (Basiliscus plumifrons) also known as the 'Jesus Christ lizard'?

It can walk on water
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-z9D9pb65SlQ/U9ym7d2UczI/AAAAAAAAGi4/Lgs1DCT7YnM/s1600/jesus+christ+lizard+running+on+water.jpg

> 8 Designed to deliver troops from aircraft to the ground as quickly as possible, what does the acronym HALO stand for in relation to a parachute jump?

High Altitude, Low Opening
Though I enjoyed Joe's suggestion: Highly accelerated landing. Ouch!

> 9 The 1994 comedy film "Ace Ventura: Pet Detective" starring Jim Carrey is set in which US city?

Miami

> 10 Which 2008 rom-com starred Jason Segel, Kristen Bell, Mila Kunis and Russell Brand?

Forgetting Sarah Marshall
Singleton for Pete

Q1 Q2 Q3 Q4 Q5 Q6 Q7 Q8 Q9 Q10 TOTAL TB Quiz 569
1 1 1 1 1 1 0 1 1 0 8 24 Mark Brader
1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 0 0 8 24 Dan Blum
1 0 0 0 0 1 1 0 1 0 4 12 Bruce Bowler
0 0 0 0 1 1 0 0 0 1 3 11 Pete Gayde
0 0 1 0 1 0 0 0 0 0 2 8 Joe
0 0 0 0 1 1 0 0 0 0 2 10 Erland S
- - - - - - - - - - --- ----------
3 2 3 2 5 5 2 2 2 1 27 45%

Congratulations Mark and Dan B. Another tough set, with a larger spread than normal for some reason.

cheers,
calvin

Calvin

Jul 26, 2019, 12:02:34 AM7/26/19
On Monday, July 15, 2019 at 2:27:41 PM UTC+10, Mark Brader wrote:
> Dan Blum:
> > it can walk across water
>
> Oh, duh. :-(

Good grief!, surely :-)

cheers,
calvin

Erland Sommarskog

Jul 26, 2019, 3:36:04 AM7/26/19
Calvin (334...@gmail.com) writes:
> 0 0 0 0 1 1 0 0 0 0 2 10 Erland S

As poor as my score might seem, it should be even poorer. I did not have
Q5 right. I said Torino which is about 150 km west of Milano.