QFTCI23 Final, Round 9-10: entertainment, challenge

Mark Brader

Feb 7, 2024, 1:25:11 AMFeb 7
These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2023-11-27,
and should be interpreted accordingly.

Please post all your answers in a single followup to the newsgroup,
the correct answers in about 3 days.

All questions were written by members of the Usual Suspects and
are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have
been retyped and/or edited by me. The posting and tabulation of
current-events questions is independent of the concurrent posting
of other rounds. For further information please see my 2023-05-24
companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian Inquisition
(QFTCI*)".

I wrote 9 of the 13 pairs in this set.

** Final, Round 9 - Entertainment

* A. Name that Parody

A1. Although Hanna-Barbera officially denied it, which of their
cartoon animal characters was obviously named after a New
York Yankees player who was famous for his malapropisms?

A2. See: http://www.vex.net/~msb/tmp/gfr9/paro-A2.jpg

Charlie Chaplin's movie "The Great Dictator" featured
characters 8ho were parodies of, and named in reference to,
Adolf Hitler and Benito Mussolini. Give *either* the first
name or the surname of *either* character.

* B. Theatrical Superstitions

B1. On the stage it's considered bad luck to wish someone
good luck. What do they say instead?

B2. It is also considered bad luck to mention the name of
a certain play by Shakespeare, so we won't mention it here.
What do they say instead?

* C. Short-Lived TV Titles

C1. See: http://www.vex.net/~msb/tmp/gfr9/tv-C1.jpg

The long-running series whose title is now just "NCIS"
previously included an expansion of the abbreviation in the
title. But before that, in its first season, the show used
an even longer and more redundant title: 6 words altogether,
counting the abbreviation as one. What was it, exactly?

C2. See: http://www.vex.net/~msb/tmp/gfr9/tv-C2.jpg

A current quiz show on the Game Show Network is hosted by
the lovely Brooke Burns and titled "Master Minds". In its
first season, the rules were somewhat different, the host
was Sherri Shepherd, and the title was different as well.
What was that 4-word, rather conceited original title?

* D. Canadiana: GTA Bands

In each case, name the GTA band in the picture.

D1. See: http://www.vex.net/~msb/tmp/gfr9/gta-D1.jpg

D2. See: http://www.vex.net/~msb/tmp/gfr9/gta-D2.jpg

* E. Supermarionation

E1. See: http://www.vex.net/~msb/tmp/gfr9/supe-E1.jpg

Supermarionation was the trademarked name of a system
by which TV shows and movies, mostly science fiction for
children, were made using miniature models for sets and
marionettes instead of actors. Who developed it?

E2. See: http://www.vex.net/~msb/tmp/gfr9/supe-E2.jpg

In the Supermarionation TV show "Thunderbirds", either name
the organization that the main characters worked for, or give
the first name of the woman who was their agent in London.

* F. The World (Taylor's Version)

Increasingly this is Taylor Swift's world -- we just live here.

F1. See: http://www.vex.net/~msb/tmp/gfr9/swif-F1.jpg

How many studio albums has she released, including the
re-recorded "Taylor's Version"s?

F2. See: http://www.vex.net/~msb/tmp/gfr9/swif-F2.jpg

She spent her first few years living on a specialized
farm that her father, a stockbroker, bought from a client.
What kind of farm was it?

** Final, Round 10 - Challenge Round

* A. Entertainment History

A1. See: http://www.vex.net/~msb/tmp/gfr10/hist-A1.jpg

The invention of movies was inspired by an accomplishment
of Eadweard Muybridge in 1878. He set up a row of cameras
and took 24 successive photos of a galloping horse, thus
proving the claim that at times none of its feet were on
the ground. Why did he want to settle that claim?

A2. See: http://www.vex.net/~msb/tmp/gfr10/hist-A2.jpg

After a failed experiment with an incompatible system,
the US introduced color TV broadcasts on the NTSC system,
which could be viewed properly on a color TV set, or
in black-and-white on the ordinary TV set of the time.
Name any year when Canadians with a color TV set could
receive these compatible color broadcasts, but only from
the US, as no one in Canada was yet broadcasting in color.

* B. History Science

B1. What technique for finding previously undiscovered ruins,
or previously undiscovered details in ruins, first became
available about 1920?

B2. Carbon is made up principally of two isotopes, carbon-12
and carbon-14. If an object is made of organic matter, such
as wood or animal remains, historians may use carbon-dating
to learn how long it's been dead, which means they measure
the ratio of carbon-14 to carbon-12. Why is this ratio
related to how long it's been dead?

* C. Science Geography

C1. The first measurement of the size of the Earth involved
looking straight down a certain well in Egypt on the longest
day of the year, and seeing the Sun reflecting off the water.
This was possible because the well was *where*? (Not the
place name, the relevant characteristic of that place.)

C2. The Kennedy Space Center is in Florida, and the Guiana
Space Center is in French Guiana. Given the political
desire to locate the one in the US and the other in French
territory, what made these locations more desirable than
most alternatives?

* D. Geography Sports

D1. This sport was developed from military training exercises
in Sweden in the late 19th century, and it involves
finding your way across country using a map and compass.
What's it called?

D2. A related recreational activity involves using a GPS
receiver to find objects hidden at announced coordinates.
What's this called?

* E. Sports Literature

E1. Although he was not an athlete, this American writer
convinced an NFL team to let him try playing with them.
He never got into an actual game, but his 1966 book about
the experience was a success. The title "Paper Lion"
tells you which team it was, so just name the writer.

E2. Back in Game 7 of this season you heard about tell-all books
on the subject of restaurants. In 1970 Jim Bouton wrote
with similar frankness about a season as pitcher with the
Seattle Pilots. What was the title?

* F. Canadiana: Literature Canadiana

F1. The Bootmakers of Toronto are a society of Sherlock Holmes
fans. They take their name from a scene where Holmes finds
a boot marked "Meyers, Toronto" -- in what novel or story?

F2. In the 1993 spy novel "The Night Manager" by John le Carré,
the lead character, Jonathan Pine, lives for several months
in a small town in what Canadian province?

* G. Canadiana: Canadiana Entertainment

G1. In 1981 Bonnie Sherr Klein made a documentary for the
National Film Board, criticizing the pornography business.
But it was banned for a while in Ontario -- as pornography.
What was it? (Just the main title.)

G2. One of the bands selected for a public concert at Nathan
Phillips Square in 1991 found their booking canceled after
someone on Mayor Rowlands' staff decided the name of the
band was offensive. What band?

--
Mark Brader | "UNIX are quality sectional bookcases, made of solid oak.
Toronto | Open or glass-fronted, in three sizes and three finishes,
| -- Daily Mail Ideal Home Book, 1951-52

Joshua Kreitzer

Feb 7, 2024, 2:54:23 AMFeb 7
On Wednesday, February 7, 2024 at 12:25:11 AM UTC-6, Mark Brader wrote:

> ** Final, Round 9 - Entertainment
>
> * A. Name that Parody
>
> A1. Although Hanna-Barbera officially denied it, which of their
> cartoon animal characters was obviously named after a New
> York Yankees player who was famous for his malapropisms?

Yogi Bear

> A2. See: http://www.vex.net/~msb/tmp/gfr9/paro-A2.jpg
>
> Charlie Chaplin's movie "The Great Dictator" featured
> characters 8ho were parodies of, and named in reference to,
> Adolf Hitler and Benito Mussolini. Give *either* the first
> name or the surname of *either* character.

Adenoid

> * B. Theatrical Superstitions
>
> B1. On the stage it's considered bad luck to wish someone
> good luck. What do they say instead?

break a leg

> B2. It is also considered bad luck to mention the name of
> a certain play by Shakespeare, so we won't mention it here.
> What do they say instead?

the Scottish play

> * C. Short-Lived TV Titles
>
> C2. See: http://www.vex.net/~msb/tmp/gfr9/tv-C2.jpg
>
> A current quiz show on the Game Show Network is hosted by
> the lovely Brooke Burns and titled "Master Minds". In its
> first season, the rules were somewhat different, the host
> was Sherri Shepherd, and the title was different as well.
> What was that 4-word, rather conceited original title?

"World's Greatest Quiz Show"; "World's Best Quiz Show"

> * F. The World (Taylor's Version)
>
> Increasingly this is Taylor Swift's world -- we just live here.
>
> F1. See: http://www.vex.net/~msb/tmp/gfr9/swif-F1.jpg
>
> How many studio albums has she released, including the
> re-recorded "Taylor's Version"s?

16; 17

> F2. See: http://www.vex.net/~msb/tmp/gfr9/swif-F2.jpg
>
> She spent her first few years living on a specialized
> farm that her father, a stockbroker, bought from a client.
> What kind of farm was it?

Christmas tree farm

> ** Final, Round 10 - Challenge Round
>
> * A. Entertainment History
>
> A1. See: http://www.vex.net/~msb/tmp/gfr10/hist-A1.jpg
>
> The invention of movies was inspired by an accomplishment
> of Eadweard Muybridge in 1878. He set up a row of cameras
> and took 24 successive photos of a galloping horse, thus
> proving the claim that at times none of its feet were on
> the ground. Why did he want to settle that claim?

Governor Leland Stanford had placed a bet on it

> A2. See: http://www.vex.net/~msb/tmp/gfr10/hist-A2.jpg
>
> After a failed experiment with an incompatible system,
> the US introduced color TV broadcasts on the NTSC system,
> which could be viewed properly on a color TV set, or
> in black-and-white on the ordinary TV set of the time.
> Name any year when Canadians with a color TV set could
> receive these compatible color broadcasts, but only from
> the US, as no one in Canada was yet broadcasting in color.

1959

> * C. Science Geography
>
> C2. The Kennedy Space Center is in Florida, and the Guiana
> Space Center is in French Guiana. Given the political
> desire to locate the one in the US and the other in French
> territory, what made these locations more desirable than
> most alternatives?

they are located along the seacoast with an ocean to the east, and due to the rotation of the earth, debris from any spacecraft that exploded on launch would more likely fall into the ocean than on land

> * D. Geography Sports
>
> D1. This sport was developed from military training exercises
> in Sweden in the late 19th century, and it involves
> finding your way across country using a map and compass.
> What's it called?

orienteering

> D2. A related recreational activity involves using a GPS
> receiver to find objects hidden at announced coordinates.
> What's this called?

geocaching

> * E. Sports Literature
>
> E1. Although he was not an athlete, this American writer
> convinced an NFL team to let him try playing with them.
> He never got into an actual game, but his 1966 book about
> the experience was a success. The title "Paper Lion"
> tells you which team it was, so just name the writer.

Plimpton

> E2. Back in Game 7 of this season you heard about tell-all books
> on the subject of restaurants. In 1970 Jim Bouton wrote
> with similar frankness about a season as pitcher with the
> Seattle Pilots. What was the title?

"Ball Four"

> * F. Canadiana: Literature Canadiana
>
> F2. In the 1993 spy novel "The Night Manager" by John le Carré,
> the lead character, Jonathan Pine, lives for several months
> in a small town in what Canadian province?

Nova Scotia; Newfoundland and Labrador

> * G. Canadiana: Canadiana Entertainment
>
> G1. In 1981 Bonnie Sherr Klein made a documentary for the
> National Film Board, criticizing the pornography business.
> But it was banned for a while in Ontario -- as pornography.
> What was it? (Just the main title.)

"Not a Love Story"

> G2. One of the bands selected for a public concert at Nathan
> Phillips Square in 1991 found their booking canceled after
> someone on Mayor Rowlands' staff decided the name of the
> band was offensive. What band?

Barenaked Ladies

--
Joshua Kreitzer
grom...@hotmail.com

Erland Sommarskog

Feb 7, 2024, 3:13:00 PMFeb 7
Mark Brader (m...@vex.net) writes:
> ** Final, Round 9 - Entertainment
>
> * A. Name that Parody
>
> A1. Although Hanna-Barbera officially denied it, which of their
> cartoon animal characters was obviously named after a New
> York Yankees player who was famous for his malapropisms?

Dino

> * F. The World (Taylor's Version)
>
> Increasingly this is Taylor Swift's world -- we just live here.
>
> F1. See: http://www.vex.net/~msb/tmp/gfr9/swif-F1.jpg
>
> How many studio albums has she released, including the
> re-recorded "Taylor's Version"s?

13

> ** Final, Round 10 - Challenge Round
>
> A2. See: http://www.vex.net/~msb/tmp/gfr10/hist-A2.jpg
>
> After a failed experiment with an incompatible system,
> the US introduced color TV broadcasts on the NTSC system,
> which could be viewed properly on a color TV set, or
> in black-and-white on the ordinary TV set of the time.
> Name any year when Canadians with a color TV set could
> receive these compatible color broadcasts, but only from
> the US, as no one in Canada was yet broadcasting in color.

1963

> * B. History Science
>
> B2. Carbon is made up principally of two isotopes, carbon-12
> and carbon-14. If an object is made of organic matter, such
> as wood or animal remains, historians may use carbon-dating
> to learn how long it's been dead, which means they measure
> the ratio of carbon-14 to carbon-12. Why is this ratio
> related to how long it's been dead?

As long as the plant/animal is alive the carbon is constantly replace,
so the proportions between the isotopes stay the same.

> * C. Science Geography
>
> C1. The first measurement of the size of the Earth involved
> looking straight down a certain well in Egypt on the longest
> day of the year, and seeing the Sun reflecting off the water.
> This was possible because the well was *where*? (Not the
> place name, the relevant characteristic of that place.)

The place is on the tropic.

> * D. Geography Sports
>
> D1. This sport was developed from military training exercises
> in Sweden in the late 19th century, and it involves
> finding your way across country using a map and compass.
> What's it called?

Orientering is how we spell it in Swedish.

Dan Blum

Feb 7, 2024, 9:10:34 PMFeb 7
Mark Brader <m...@vex.net> wrote:

> ** Final, Round 9 - Entertainment

> * A. Name that Parody

> A1. Although Hanna-Barbera officially denied it, which of their
> cartoon animal characters was obviously named after a New
> York Yankees player who was famous for his malapropisms?

Yogi Bear

> * B. Theatrical Superstitions

> B1. On the stage it's considered bad luck to wish someone
> good luck. What do they say instead?

break a leg

> B2. It is also considered bad luck to mention the name of
> a certain play by Shakespeare, so we won't mention it here.
> What do they say instead?

the Scottish play

> * E. Supermarionation

> E1. See: http://www.vex.net/~msb/tmp/gfr9/supe-E1.jpg

> Supermarionation was the trademarked name of a system
> by which TV shows and movies, mostly science fiction for
> children, were made using miniature models for sets and
> marionettes instead of actors. Who developed it?

Gerry Anderson

> * F. The World (Taylor's Version)

> F1. See: http://www.vex.net/~msb/tmp/gfr9/swif-F1.jpg

> How many studio albums has she released, including the
> re-recorded "Taylor's Version"s?

12; 15

> F2. See: http://www.vex.net/~msb/tmp/gfr9/swif-F2.jpg

> She spent her first few years living on a specialized
> farm that her father, a stockbroker, bought from a client.
> What kind of farm was it?

llama farm; emu farm

> ** Final, Round 10 - Challenge Round

> * A. Entertainment History

> A1. See: http://www.vex.net/~msb/tmp/gfr10/hist-A1.jpg

> The invention of movies was inspired by an accomplishment
> of Eadweard Muybridge in 1878. He set up a row of cameras
> and took 24 successive photos of a galloping horse, thus
> proving the claim that at times none of its feet were on
> the ground. Why did he want to settle that claim?

he had made a large bet on the subject

> A2. See: http://www.vex.net/~msb/tmp/gfr10/hist-A2.jpg

> After a failed experiment with an incompatible system,
> the US introduced color TV broadcasts on the NTSC system,
> which could be viewed properly on a color TV set, or
> in black-and-white on the ordinary TV set of the time.
> Name any year when Canadians with a color TV set could
> receive these compatible color broadcasts, but only from
> the US, as no one in Canada was yet broadcasting in color.

1962

> * B. History Science

> B1. What technique for finding previously undiscovered ruins,
> or previously undiscovered details in ruins, first became
> available about 1920?

aerial photography

> B2. Carbon is made up principally of two isotopes, carbon-12
> and carbon-14. If an object is made of organic matter, such
> as wood or animal remains, historians may use carbon-dating
> to learn how long it's been dead, which means they measure
> the ratio of carbon-14 to carbon-12. Why is this ratio
> related to how long it's been dead?

because carbon-14 undergoes radioactive decay

> * C. Science Geography

> C1. The first measurement of the size of the Earth involved
> looking straight down a certain well in Egypt on the longest
> day of the year, and seeing the Sun reflecting off the water.
> This was possible because the well was *where*? (Not the
> place name, the relevant characteristic of that place.)

on the equator

> C2. The Kennedy Space Center is in Florida, and the Guiana
> Space Center is in French Guiana. Given the political
> desire to locate the one in the US and the other in French
> territory, what made these locations more desirable than
> most alternatives?

they are near the equator

> * D. Geography Sports

> D1. This sport was developed from military training exercises
> in Sweden in the late 19th century, and it involves
> finding your way across country using a map and compass.
> What's it called?

orienteering

> D2. A related recreational activity involves using a GPS
> receiver to find objects hidden at announced coordinates.
> What's this called?

geocaching

> * E. Sports Literature

> E1. Although he was not an athlete, this American writer
> convinced an NFL team to let him try playing with them.
> He never got into an actual game, but his 1966 book about
> the experience was a success. The title "Paper Lion"
> tells you which team it was, so just name the writer.

Plimpton

> * G. Canadiana: Canadiana Entertainment

> G2. One of the bands selected for a public concert at Nathan
> Phillips Square in 1991 found their booking canceled after
> someone on Mayor Rowlands' staff decided the name of the
> band was offensive. What band?

Barenaked Ladies

Dan Blum to...@panix.com

Dan Tilque

Feb 8, 2024, 2:03:15 AMFeb 8
On 2/6/24 22:24, Mark Brader wrote:

> ** Final, Round 9 - Entertainment
>
> * A. Name that Parody
>
> A1. Although Hanna-Barbera officially denied it, which of their
> cartoon animal characters was obviously named after a New
> York Yankees player who was famous for his malapropisms?

Yogi Bear

> A2. See: http://www.vex.net/~msb/tmp/gfr9/paro-A2.jpg
>
> Charlie Chaplin's movie "The Great Dictator" featured
> characters 8ho were parodies of, and named in reference to,
> Adolf Hitler and Benito Mussolini. Give *either* the first
> name or the surname of *either* character.
>

> * B. Theatrical Superstitions
>
> B1. On the stage it's considered bad luck to wish someone
> good luck. What do they say instead?

break a leg

> B2. It is also considered bad luck to mention the name of
> a certain play by Shakespeare, so we won't mention it here.
> What do they say instead?

the Scottish play
He made a bet about it.

> A2. See: http://www.vex.net/~msb/tmp/gfr10/hist-A2.jpg
>
> After a failed experiment with an incompatible system,
> the US introduced color TV broadcasts on the NTSC system,
> which could be viewed properly on a color TV set, or
> in black-and-white on the ordinary TV set of the time.
> Name any year when Canadians with a color TV set could
> receive these compatible color broadcasts, but only from
> the US, as no one in Canada was yet broadcasting in color.

1961

> * B. History Science
>
> B1. What technique for finding previously undiscovered ruins,
> or previously undiscovered details in ruins, first became
> available about 1920?

aerial surveying

> B2. Carbon is made up principally of two isotopes, carbon-12
> and carbon-14. If an object is made of organic matter, such
> as wood or animal remains, historians may use carbon-dating
> to learn how long it's been dead, which means they measure
> the ratio of carbon-14 to carbon-12. Why is this ratio
> related to how long it's been dead?

C-14 is radioactive and is produced in the atmosphere by cosmic rays.
Plants and animals take it in while living, but that ceases when they
die. So the amount of C-14 in a living being is fixed upon death and
goes down in a predictable manner as the C-14 decays over the years.

> * C. Science Geography
>
> C1. The first measurement of the size of the Earth involved
> looking straight down a certain well in Egypt on the longest
> day of the year, and seeing the Sun reflecting off the water.
> This was possible because the well was *where*? (Not the
> place name, the relevant characteristic of that place.)

Tropic of Cancer

> C2. The Kennedy Space Center is in Florida, and the Guiana
> Space Center is in French Guiana. Given the political
> desire to locate the one in the US and the other in French
> territory, what made these locations more desirable than
> most alternatives?

closeness to the equator

> * D. Geography Sports
>
> D1. This sport was developed from military training exercises
> in Sweden in the late 19th century, and it involves
> finding your way across country using a map and compass.
> What's it called?

Orienteering

> D2. A related recreational activity involves using a GPS
> receiver to find objects hidden at announced coordinates.
> What's this called?

Geocaching

> * E. Sports Literature
>
> E1. Although he was not an athlete, this American writer
> convinced an NFL team to let him try playing with them.
> He never got into an actual game, but his 1966 book about
> the experience was a success. The title "Paper Lion"
> tells you which team it was, so just name the writer.

George Plimpton

> E2. Back in Game 7 of this season you heard about tell-all books
> on the subject of restaurants. In 1970 Jim Bouton wrote
> with similar frankness about a season as pitcher with the
> Seattle Pilots. What was the title?

Ball Four

> * F. Canadiana: Literature Canadiana
>
> F1. The Bootmakers of Toronto are a society of Sherlock Holmes
> fans. They take their name from a scene where Holmes finds
> a boot marked "Meyers, Toronto" -- in what novel or story?
>
> F2. In the 1993 spy novel "The Night Manager" by John le Carré,
> the lead character, Jonathan Pine, lives for several months
> in a small town in what Canadian province?
>

> * G. Canadiana: Canadiana Entertainment
>
> G1. In 1981 Bonnie Sherr Klein made a documentary for the
> National Film Board, criticizing the pornography business.
> But it was banned for a while in Ontario -- as pornography.
> What was it? (Just the main title.)
>
> G2. One of the bands selected for a public concert at Nathan
> Phillips Square in 1991 found their booking canceled after
> someone on Mayor Rowlands' staff decided the name of the
> band was offensive. What band?

--
Dan Tilque

Pete Gayde

Feb 9, 2024, 1:15:40 AMFeb 9
Mark Brader wrote:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2023-11-27,

> Please post all your answers in a single followup to the newsgroup,
> the correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of the Usual Suspects and
> are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have
> been retyped and/or edited by me. The posting and tabulation of
> current-events questions is independent of the concurrent posting
> of other rounds. For further information please see my 2023-05-24
> companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian Inquisition
> (QFTCI*)".
>

> I wrote 9 of the 13 pairs in this set.
>

> ** Final, Round 9 - Entertainment
>
> * A. Name that Parody
>
> A1. Although Hanna-Barbera officially denied it, which of their
> cartoon animal characters was obviously named after a New
> York Yankees player who was famous for his malapropisms?

Yogi Bear

> A2. See: http://www.vex.net/~msb/tmp/gfr9/paro-A2.jpg
>
> Charlie Chaplin's movie "The Great Dictator" featured
> characters 8ho were parodies of, and named in reference to,
> Adolf Hitler and Benito Mussolini. Give *either* the first
> name or the surname of *either* character.
>

> * B. Theatrical Superstitions
>
> B1. On the stage it's considered bad luck to wish someone
> good luck. What do they say instead?

Break a leg

> B2. It is also considered bad luck to mention the name of
> a certain play by Shakespeare, so we won't mention it here.
> What do they say instead?

The Scottish play

> * C. Short-Lived TV Titles
>
> C1. See: http://www.vex.net/~msb/tmp/gfr9/tv-C1.jpg
>
> The long-running series whose title is now just "NCIS"
> previously included an expansion of the abbreviation in the
> title. But before that, in its first season, the show used
> an even longer and more redundant title: 6 words altogether,
> counting the abbreviation as one. What was it, exactly?
>
> C2. See: http://www.vex.net/~msb/tmp/gfr9/tv-C2.jpg
>
> A current quiz show on the Game Show Network is hosted by
> the lovely Brooke Burns and titled "Master Minds". In its
> first season, the rules were somewhat different, the host
> was Sherri Shepherd, and the title was different as well.
> What was that 4-word, rather conceited original title?
>

> * D. Canadiana: GTA Bands
>
> In each case, name the GTA band in the picture.
>
> D1. See: http://www.vex.net/~msb/tmp/gfr9/gta-D1.jpg
>
> D2. See: http://www.vex.net/~msb/tmp/gfr9/gta-D2.jpg
>

> * E. Supermarionation
>
> E1. See: http://www.vex.net/~msb/tmp/gfr9/supe-E1.jpg
>
> Supermarionation was the trademarked name of a system
> by which TV shows and movies, mostly science fiction for
> children, were made using miniature models for sets and
> marionettes instead of actors. Who developed it?

Anderson

> E2. See: http://www.vex.net/~msb/tmp/gfr9/supe-E2.jpg
>
> In the Supermarionation TV show "Thunderbirds", either name
> the organization that the main characters worked for, or give
> the first name of the woman who was their agent in London.

International Rescue
1965

> * B. History Science
>
> B1. What technique for finding previously undiscovered ruins,
> or previously undiscovered details in ruins, first became
> available about 1920?

Ground penetrating radar

> B2. Carbon is made up principally of two isotopes, carbon-12
> and carbon-14. If an object is made of organic matter, such
> as wood or animal remains, historians may use carbon-dating
> to learn how long it's been dead, which means they measure
> the ratio of carbon-14 to carbon-12. Why is this ratio
> related to how long it's been dead?
>

> * C. Science Geography
>
> C1. The first measurement of the size of the Earth involved
> looking straight down a certain well in Egypt on the longest
> day of the year, and seeing the Sun reflecting off the water.
> This was possible because the well was *where*? (Not the
> place name, the relevant characteristic of that place.)
>
> C2. The Kennedy Space Center is in Florida, and the Guiana
> Space Center is in French Guiana. Given the political
> desire to locate the one in the US and the other in French
> territory, what made these locations more desirable than
> most alternatives?
>

> * D. Geography Sports
>
> D1. This sport was developed from military training exercises
> in Sweden in the late 19th century, and it involves
> finding your way across country using a map and compass.
> What's it called?

Orienteering

> D2. A related recreational activity involves using a GPS
> receiver to find objects hidden at announced coordinates.
> What's this called?

Geocaching

> * E. Sports Literature
>
> E1. Although he was not an athlete, this American writer
> convinced an NFL team to let him try playing with them.
> He never got into an actual game, but his 1966 book about
> the experience was a success. The title "Paper Lion"
> tells you which team it was, so just name the writer.

George Plimpton

> E2. Back in Game 7 of this season you heard about tell-all books
> on the subject of restaurants. In 1970 Jim Bouton wrote
> with similar frankness about a season as pitcher with the
> Seattle Pilots. What was the title?

Ball Four

> * F. Canadiana: Literature Canadiana
>
> F1. The Bootmakers of Toronto are a society of Sherlock Holmes
> fans. They take their name from a scene where Holmes finds
> a boot marked "Meyers, Toronto" -- in what novel or story?
>
> F2. In the 1993 spy novel "The Night Manager" by John le Carré,
> the lead character, Jonathan Pine, lives for several months
> in a small town in what Canadian province?
>

> * G. Canadiana: Canadiana Entertainment
>
> G1. In 1981 Bonnie Sherr Klein made a documentary for the
> National Film Board, criticizing the pornography business.
> But it was banned for a while in Ontario -- as pornography.
> What was it? (Just the main title.)
>
> G2. One of the bands selected for a public concert at Nathan
> Phillips Square in 1991 found their booking canceled after
> someone on Mayor Rowlands' staff decided the name of the
> band was offensive. What band?

Pete Gayde

Mark Brader

Feb 10, 2024, 10:45:34 PMFeb 10
Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2023-11-27,
> please see my 2023-05-24 companion posting on "Questions from the
> Canadian Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

The Final game is over and Stephen Perry is the winner in absentia!

This completes the latest season written by the Usual Suspects
(and associated people). Next, we begin the current season, by
the Misplaced Modifiers -- you've already seen a pair of their
current-events rounds.

> I wrote 9 of the 13 pairs in this set.

I wrote entertainment pairs A and C, and the whole challenge round.

> ** Final, Round 9 - Entertainment

In the original game, the audio round was the hardest and this one
was next-hardest.

> * A. Name that Parody

> A1. Although Hanna-Barbera officially denied it, which of their
> cartoon animal characters was obviously named after a New
> York Yankees player who was famous for his malapropisms?

Yogi Bear. (Yogi Berra.) 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, Dan Tilque,
and Pete.

> A2. See: http://www.vex.net/~msb/tmp/gfr9/paro-A2.jpg

> Charlie Chaplin's movie "The Great Dictator" featured
> characters 8ho were parodies of, and named in reference to,
> Adolf Hitler and Benito Mussolini. Give *either* the first
> name or the surname of *either* character.

Adenoid Hynkel, Benzino Napaloni. 4 for Joshua.

> * B. Theatrical Superstitions

> B1. On the stage it's considered bad luck to wish someone
> good luck. What do they say instead?

"Break a leg." 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, Dan Tilque, and Pete.

> B2. It is also considered bad luck to mention the name of
> a certain play by Shakespeare, so we won't mention it here.
> What do they say instead?

"The Scottish play." ("Macbeth".) 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum,
Dan Tilque, and Pete.

> * C. Short-Lived TV Titles

> C1. See: http://www.vex.net/~msb/tmp/gfr9/tv-C1.jpg

> The long-running series whose title is now just "NCIS"
> previously included an expansion of the abbreviation in the
> title. But before that, in its first season, the show used
> an even longer and more redundant title: 6 words altogether,
> counting the abbreviation as one. What was it, exactly?

"Navy NCIS: Naval Criminal Investigative Service".

> C2. See: http://www.vex.net/~msb/tmp/gfr9/tv-C2.jpg

> A current quiz show on the Game Show Network is hosted by
> the lovely Brooke Burns and titled "Master Minds". In its
> first season, the rules were somewhat different, the host
> was Sherri Shepherd, and the title was different as well.
> What was that 4-word, rather conceited original title?

"Best Ever Trivia Show". Joshua had the idea, but was not close
enough.

> * D. Canadiana: GTA Bands

> In each case, name the GTA band in the picture.

(GTA = Greater Toronto Area. But you knew that.)

> D1. See: http://www.vex.net/~msb/tmp/gfr9/gta-D1.jpg

Moxy Früvous.

> D2. See: http://www.vex.net/~msb/tmp/gfr9/gta-D2.jpg

Triumph.

> * E. Supermarionation

> E1. See: http://www.vex.net/~msb/tmp/gfr9/supe-E1.jpg

> Supermarionation was the trademarked name of a system
> by which TV shows and movies, mostly science fiction for
> children, were made using miniature models for sets and
> marionettes instead of actors. Who developed it?

Gerry and Sylvia Anderson. (Either one is sufficient, or just
the surname.) 4 for Dan Blum and Pete.

> E2. See: http://www.vex.net/~msb/tmp/gfr9/supe-E2.jpg

> In the Supermarionation TV show "Thunderbirds", either name
> the organization that the main characters worked for, or give
> the first name of the woman who was their agent in London.

International Rescue, Lady Penelope Creighton-Ward. 4 for Pete.

> * F. The World (Taylor's Version)

> Increasingly this is Taylor Swift's world -- we just live here.

> F1. See: http://www.vex.net/~msb/tmp/gfr9/swif-F1.jpg

> How many studio albums has she released, including the
> re-recorded "Taylor's Version"s?

14. (10 others + 4 "Taylor's Version"s.)

> F2. See: http://www.vex.net/~msb/tmp/gfr9/swif-F2.jpg

> She spent her first few years living on a specialized
> farm that her father, a stockbroker, bought from a client.
> What kind of farm was it?

Christmas-tree farm. 4 for Joshua.

> ** Final, Round 10 - Challenge Round

> * A. Entertainment History

> A1. See: http://www.vex.net/~msb/tmp/gfr10/hist-A1.jpg

> The invention of movies was inspired by an accomplishment
> of Eadweard Muybridge in 1878. He set up a row of cameras
> and took 24 successive photos of a galloping horse, thus
> proving the claim that at times none of its feet were on
> the ground. Why did he want to settle that claim?

There was a bet on the outcome. 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum,
and Dan Tilque.

Note in particular the second photo in the bottom row.

> A2. See: http://www.vex.net/~msb/tmp/gfr10/hist-A2.jpg

> After a failed experiment with an incompatible system,
> the US introduced color TV broadcasts on the NTSC system,
> which could be viewed properly on a color TV set, or
> in black-and-white on the ordinary TV set of the time.
> Name any year when Canadians with a color TV set could
> receive these compatible color broadcasts, but only from
> the US, as no one in Canada was yet broadcasting in color.

1953-66. 4 for everyone -- Joshua, Erland, Dan Blum, Dan Tilque,
and Pete.

> * B. History Science

> B1. What technique for finding previously undiscovered ruins,
> or previously undiscovered details in ruins, first became
> available about 1920?

Aerial photography. 4 for Dan Blum and Dan Tilque.

> B2. Carbon is made up principally of two isotopes, carbon-12
> and carbon-14. If an object is made of organic matter, such
> as wood or animal remains, historians may use carbon-dating
> to learn how long it's been dead, which means they measure
> the ratio of carbon-14 to carbon-12. Why is this ratio
> related to how long it's been dead?

Carbon-14 decays radioactively at a known rate (and when the
thing dies it stops taking in new carbon from the environment).
4 for Erland. 3 for Dan Blum and Dan Tilque.

> * C. Science Geography

> C1. The first measurement of the size of the Earth involved
> looking straight down a certain well in Egypt on the longest
> day of the year, and seeing the Sun reflecting off the water.
> This was possible because the well was *where*? (Not the
> place name, the relevant characteristic of that place.)

On the Tropic of Cancer. 4 for Erland and Dan Tilque.

> C2. The Kennedy Space Center is in Florida, and the Guiana
> Space Center is in French Guiana. Given the political
> desire to locate the one in the US and the other in French
> territory, what made these locations more desirable than
> most alternatives?

The nearer you are to the equator, the more the rotation of the
Earth contributes some speed to your (eastward) rocket launch.

"Closeness to the equator" was not sufficient.

> * D. Geography Sports

> D1. This sport was developed from military training exercises
> in Sweden in the late 19th century, and it involves
> finding your way across country using a map and compass.
> What's it called?

Orienteering. 4 for everyone.

> D2. A related recreational activity involves using a GPS
> receiver to find objects hidden at announced coordinates.
> What's this called?

Geocaching. 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, Dan Tilque, and Pete.

> * E. Sports Literature

> E1. Although he was not an athlete, this American writer
> convinced an NFL team to let him try playing with them.
> He never got into an actual game, but his 1966 book about
> the experience was a success. The title "Paper Lion"
> tells you which team it was, so just name the writer.

George Plimpton. 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, Dan Tilque, and Pete.

> E2. Back in Game 7 of this season you heard about tell-all books
> on the subject of restaurants. In 1970 Jim Bouton wrote
> with similar frankness about a season as pitcher with the
> Seattle Pilots. What was the title?

"Ball Four". 4 for Joshua, Dan Tilque, and Pete.

> * F. Canadiana: Literature Canadiana

> F1. The Bootmakers of Toronto are a society of Sherlock Holmes
> fans. They take their name from a scene where Holmes finds
> a boot marked "Meyers, Toronto" -- in what novel or story?

"The Hound of the Baskervilles".

See: http://victorianweb.org/art/illustration/pagets/259.jpg

> F2. In the 1993 spy novel "The Night Manager" by John le Carré,
> the lead character, Jonathan Pine, lives for several months
> in a small town in what Canadian province?

Quebec.

> * G. Canadiana: Canadiana Entertainment

> G1. In 1981 Bonnie Sherr Klein made a documentary for the
> National Film Board, criticizing the pornography business.
> But it was banned for a while in Ontario -- as pornography.
> What was it? (Just the main title.)

"Not a Love Story". 4 for Joshua.

See:
http://www.pastposters.com/cw3/assets/product_expanded/JamieR-MULL/not-a-love-story-cinema-quad-movie-poster-(1).jpg

> G2. One of the bands selected for a public concert at Nathan
> Phillips Square in 1991 found their booking canceled after
> someone on Mayor Rowlands' staff decided the name of the
> band was offensive. What band?

Bare Naked Ladies. 4 for Joshua and Dan Blum.

If you dare, see: https://i.ytimg.com/vi/Z4U1H9MRNgo/maxresdefault.jpg

Scores, if there are no errors:

FINAL ROUNDS-> 2 3 4 6 7 8 9 10 BEST
TOPICS-> Geo Mis Spo Sci Lit His Ent Cha SIX
Stephen Perry 44 48 43 36 48 39 -- -- 258
Joshua Kreitzer 30 32 16 28 30 27 20 32 179
Dan Blum 36 24 7 24 40 16 16 31 171
Dan Tilque 24 20 8 28 24 20 12 35 151
Pete Gayde 28 23 -- -- 12 10 20 20 113
Erland Sommarskog 24 16 0 23 8 16 0 16 103

--
Mark Brader | "Writing that used both upper-case and lower-case
Toronto | characters became fashionable many centuries ago.

swp

Feb 11, 2024, 10:50:03 AMFeb 11
On Saturday, February 10, 2024 at 10:45:34 PM UTC-5, Mark Brader wrote:
> Mark Brader:
> > These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2023-11-27,
> > and should be interpreted accordingly... For further information
> > please see my 2023-05-24 companion posting on "Questions from the
> > Canadian Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
> The Final game is over and Stephen Perry is the winner in absentia!

thank you.

I have been experimenting with various news readers in preparation for the upcoming demise of google groups. I foolishly thought when they took over deja news that it would be forever and all old posts would be preserved in perpetuity. I was wrong. I had based my assumptions on their old corporate motto "don't be evil." but those days are behind us.

I used to use x-news, but that was abandoned almost a decade ago. eternal-september doesn't seem to like my login, despite having changed my password there just last week, which has complicated things as well. throughout this I saw various people's answers on this round using other services, so I couldn't submit a slate in good conscience.

I would prefer to not have to pay for this and am open to suggestions.

swp

Erland Sommarskog

Feb 12, 2024, 5:50:53 PMFeb 12
swp (stephen...@gmail.com) writes:
> I used to use x-news, but that was abandoned almost a decade ago.
> eternal-september doesn't seem to like my login, despite having changed
> my password there just last week, which has complicated things as well.
> throughout this I saw various people's answers on this round using other
> services, so I couldn't submit a slate in good conscience.

Chance has it that I use X-news and eternal-september. Yes, Xnews was
abandoned more than ten years ago, but since the only group I follow
that has regular traffic is this one, it works for me.

I can't say why eternal-september does not like your login, though.

swp

Feb 12, 2024, 10:14:08 PMFeb 12
Erland Sommarskog <esq...@sommarskog.se> wrote in
thank you. I got the password issue resolved with eternal-september.

now to see if posting from here really works.

swp

Erland Sommarskog

Feb 13, 2024, 3:04:51 PMFeb 13
swp (s...@aol.com) writes:
> thank you. I got the password issue resolved with eternal-september.
>
> now to see if posting from here really works.

Seems like it did. Well, at least *I* see your post.

swp

Feb 13, 2024, 6:09:25 PMFeb 13
and I went back to x-news so I won't see others answers before I can submit my own.

swp