Calvin's Quiz #450

Calvin

Jul 28, 2016, 1:23:36 AM7/28/16
1 According to the Internet Movie Database (among others) which character from the 1999 film "The Phantom Menace" is the dumbest in movie history?
2 In which field event is the world record currently 74.08 metres (men) and 76.80 metres (women)?
3 Which African country is quite literally named "Lion Mountain"?
4 Which of Beethoven’s nine symphonies is nicknamed the "choral"?
5 The Tim Hortons fast food restaurant chain is based in which country?
6 Which Shakespeare play opens with the line “If music be the food of love, play on…”?
7 If a dish is served Florentine which vegetable will it contain?
8 Who rules in a plutocracy?
9 Though better known as a singer, who played the lead role in the 1988 film 'Buster', loosely based on the Great Train Robbery of 1963?
10 Andy Fletcher, Dave Gahan, Martin Gore and Alan Wilder were members of which English electronic band formed in 1980?

cheers,
calvin

Mark Brader

Jul 28, 2016, 1:51:22 AM7/28/16
Calvin:
> 1 According to the Internet Movie Database (among others) which
> character from the 1999 film "The Phantom Menace" is the
> dumbest in movie history?

Jar Jar Binks.

> 2 In which field event is the world record currently 74.08
> metres (men) and 76.80 metres (women)?

Discus?

> 3 Which African country is quite literally named "Lion Mountain"?

Lion Mountain. :-)

Sierra Leone.

> 4 Which of Beethoven's nine symphonies is nicknamed the "choral"?

9th.

> 5 The Tim Hortons fast food restaurant chain is based in which country?

Canada. What was the late co-founder's name?

> 6 Which Shakespeare play opens with the line "If music be the
> food of love, play on..."?

"A Midsummer Night's Dream"?

> 7 If a dish is served Florentine which vegetable will it contain?

Spinach?

> 8 Who rules in a plutocracy?

The rich.

> 9 Though better known as a singer, who played the lead role in
> the 1988 film 'Buster', loosely based on the Great Train
> Robbery of 1963?

Vicious?

> 10 Andy Fletcher, Dave Gahan, Martin Gore and Alan Wilder were
> members of which English electronic band formed in 1980?

The English Electronic Band (1980) Ltd.
--
Mark Brader "You have a truly warped mind.
Toronto I admire that in a person."

Erland Sommarskog

Jul 28, 2016, 3:53:39 AM7/28/16
Calvin (334...@gmail.com) writes:
> 2 In which field event is the world record currently 74.08 metres
> (men) and 76.80 metres (women)?

Hammer throw

> 3 Which African country is quite literally named "Lion Mountain"?

Sierra Leone

> 4 Which of Beethoven?s nine symphonies is nicknamed the "choral"?

The 9th.

> 5 The Tim Hortons fast food restaurant chain is based in which
> country?

Canada

> 8 Who rules in a plutocracy?

Long-legged dogs

> 10 Andy Fletcher, Dave Gahan, Martin Gore and Alan Wilder were members
of which English electronic band formed in 1980?

Depeche Mode

Dan Tilque

Jul 28, 2016, 5:01:41 AM7/28/16
Calvin wrote:
> 1 According to the Internet Movie Database (among others) which character from the 1999 film "The Phantom Menace" is the dumbest in movie history?

Jar Jar Binks

> 2 In which field event is the world record currently 74.08 metres (men) and 76.80 metres (women)?

hammer throw

> 3 Which African country is quite literally named "Lion Mountain"?

Lesotho

> 4 Which of Beethoven’s nine symphonies is nicknamed the "choral"?

No 4

> 5 The Tim Hortons fast food restaurant chain is based in which country?

Canada

> 6 Which Shakespeare play opens with the line “If music be the food of love, play on…”?

Love's Labour's Lost

> 7 If a dish is served Florentine which vegetable will it contain?

spinach

> 8 Who rules in a plutocracy?

the wealthy

> 9 Though better known as a singer, who played the lead role in the 1988 film 'Buster', loosely based on the Great Train Robbery of 1963?
> 10 Andy Fletcher, Dave Gahan, Martin Gore and Alan Wilder were members of which English electronic band formed in 1980?

--
Dan Tilque

Björn Lundin

Jul 28, 2016, 12:41:16 PM7/28/16
On 2016-07-28 07:23, Calvin wrote:
> 1 According to the Internet Movie Database (among others) which character from the 1999 film "The Phantom Menace" is the dumbest in movie history?
Jar-Jar Binks
> 2 In which field event is the world record currently 74.08 metres (men) and 76.80 metres (women)?
Sledge ? (heavy ball with rope, athlete spins 2-3 times and lets go)
> 3 Which African country is quite literally named "Lion Mountain"?
Zimbabwe?
> 4 Which of Beethoven’s nine symphonies is nicknamed the "choral"?
the 9th
> 5 The Tim Hortons fast food restaurant chain is based in which country?
Canada
> 6 Which Shakespeare play opens with the line “If music be the food of love, play on…”?
A midsummer night's dream?
> 7 If a dish is served Florentine which vegetable will it contain?
spinach
> 8 Who rules in a plutocracy?
the richest ones
> 9 Though better known as a singer, who played the lead role in the 1988 film 'Buster', loosely based on the Great Train Robbery of 1963?
> 10 Andy Fletcher, Dave Gahan, Martin Gore and Alan Wilder were members of which English electronic band formed in 1980?
Depeche Mode

Björn

Peter Smyth

Jul 28, 2016, 1:58:40 PM7/28/16
Calvin wrote:

> 1 According to the Internet Movie Database (among others) which
> character from the 1999 film "The Phantom Menace" is the dumbest in
> movie history?
Jabba the Hutt
> 2 In which field event is the world record currently 74.08 metres
> (men) and 76.80 metres (women)?
Discus
> 3 Which African country is quite literally named "Lion Mountain"?
>
> 4 Which of Beethoven’s nine symphonies is nicknamed the "choral"?
9th
> 5 The Tim Hortons fast food restaurant chain is based in which
> country?
Canada
> 6 Which Shakespeare play opens with the line “If music be the food of
> love, play on…”?
>
> 7 If a dish is served Florentine which vegetable will it contain?
Spinach
> 8 Who rules in a plutocracy?
Priests
> 9 Though better known as a singer, who played the lead role in the
> 1988 film 'Buster', loosely based on the Great Train Robbery of 1963?
Roger Daltrey
> 10 Andy Fletcher, Dave Gahan, Martin Gore and Alan Wilder were
> members of which English electronic band formed in 1980?

Peter Smyth

Marc Dashevsky

Jul 28, 2016, 3:45:41 PM7/28/16
In article <75b238b9-3cd5-47e7...@googlegroups.com>, 334...@gmail.com says...

9

> 5 The Tim Hortons fast food restaurant chain is based in which country?
Canada

> 6 Which Shakespeare play opens with the line ?If music be the food of love, play on???
> 7 If a dish is served Florentine which vegetable will it contain?
spinach

> 8 Who rules in a plutocracy?
the rich

> 9 Though better known as a singer, who played the lead role in the 1988 film 'Buster', loosely based on the Great Train Robbery of 1963?
> 10 Andy Fletcher, Dave Gahan, Martin Gore and Alan Wilder were members of which English electronic band formed in 1980?
>

> cheers,
> calvin

Dan Tilque

Jul 28, 2016, 4:05:46 PM7/28/16
Björn Lundin wrote:
> On 2016-07-28 07:23, Calvin wrote:

>> 2 In which field event is the world record currently 74.08 metres (men) and 76.80 metres (women)?
> Sledge ? (heavy ball with rope, athlete spins 2-3 times and lets go)

That's the hammer throw. Misnamed, of course, since it looks nothing
like a hammer.

--
Dan Tilque

Erland Sommarskog

Jul 28, 2016, 5:58:07 PM7/28/16
To explain what Björn is talking about - the name of the discipline in
Swedish is "slägga". Compare "sledge-hammer".

I will have confess that for this question I permitted myself to look
up the name in the dictionary.

Björn Lundin

Jul 28, 2016, 6:38:11 PM7/28/16
Hammer throw ? Would not have guessed that in a long time.
But yes, that is what I tried to describe.

--
Björn

Chris F.A. Johnson

Jul 29, 2016, 1:08:03 AM7/29/16
On 2016-07-28, Calvin wrote:
> 1 According to the Internet Movie Database (among others) which character from the 1999 film "The Phantom Menace" is the dumbest in movie history?

Jar-Jar Binks

> 2 In which field event is the world record currently 74.08 metres (men) and 76.80 metres (women)?
> 3 Which African country is quite literally named "Lion Mountain"?

Sierra Leone

> 4 Which of Beethoven???s nine symphonies is nicknamed the "choral"?

6th

> 5 The Tim Hortons fast food restaurant chain is based in which country?

Canada

> 6 Which Shakespeare play opens with the line ???If music be the food of love, play on???????

Twelfth Night

> 7 If a dish is served Florentine which vegetable will it contain?

Spinach

> 8 Who rules in a plutocracy?

The rich

> 9 Though better known as a singer, who played the lead role in the 1988 film 'Buster', loosely based on the Great Train Robbery of 1963?
> 10 Andy Fletcher, Dave Gahan, Martin Gore and Alan Wilder were members of which English electronic band formed in 1980?

--
Chris F.A. Johnson

Gareth Owen

Jul 29, 2016, 11:09:29 AM7/29/16
Calvin <334...@gmail.com> writes:

> 1 According to the Internet Movie Database (among others) which
> character from the 1999 film "The Phantom Menace" is the dumbest in
> movie history?

Jar Jar Binks

> 2 In which field event is the world record currently 74.08 metres
> (men) and 76.80 metres (women)?

Javelin

> 3 Which African country is quite literally named "Lion Mountain"?

Sierra Leone

> 4 Which of Beethoven’s nine symphonies is nicknamed the "choral"?

(picks number at random - discarding 5) 7th??

> 5 The Tim Hortons fast food restaurant chain is based in which
> country?

Canada

> 6 Which Shakespeare play opens with the line “If music be the food of
> love, play on…”?

Twelfth Night

> 7 If a dish is served Florentine which vegetable will it contain?

Potato

> 8 Who rules in a plutocracy?

The wealthy

> 9 Though better known as a singer, who played the lead role in the
> 1988 film 'Buster', loosely based on the Great Train Robbery of 1963?

Phil Collins

> 10 Andy Fletcher, Dave Gahan, Martin Gore and Alan Wilder were members
> of which English electronic band formed in 1980?

Depeche Mode

Pete

Jul 29, 2016, 3:49:37 PM7/29/16
Calvin <334...@gmail.com> wrote in

> 1 According to the Internet Movie Database (among others) which
> character from the 1999 film "The Phantom Menace" is the dumbest in
> movie history?

Jar Jar Binks

> 2 In which field event is the world record
> currently 74.08 metres (men) and 76.80 metres (women)?

Hammer throw

> 3 Which
> African country is quite literally named "Lion Mountain"?

Sierra Leone

> 4 Which of Beethoven’s nine symphonies is nicknamed the "choral"?

9th

> 5 The
> Tim Hortons fast food restaurant chain is based in which country?

Canada

> 6 Which Shakespeare play opens with the line “If music be the
> food of love, play on…”?
> 7 If a dish is served Florentine which
> vegetable will it contain?

Broccoli

> 8 Who rules in a plutocracy?
> 9 Though better known as a singer, who played the lead role in the
> 1988 film 'Buster', loosely based on the Great Train Robbery of 1963?
> 10 Andy Fletcher, Dave Gahan, Martin Gore and Alan Wilder were
> members of which English electronic band formed in 1980?
>

> cheers,
> calvin

Pete Gayde

bbowler

Aug 1, 2016, 11:00:01 AM8/1/16
On Wed, 27 Jul 2016 22:23:35 -0700, Calvin wrote:

> 1 According to the Internet Movie Database (among others) which
> character from the 1999 film "The Phantom Menace" is the dumbest in
> movie history?

If it's not Jar Jar Binx, they're wrong.

> 2 In which field event is the world record currently 74.08 metres
(men)
> and 76.80 metres (women)?

Javelin?

> 3 Which African country is quite literally named "Lion Mountain"?

Sierra Leone

> 4 Which of Beethoven’s nine symphonies is nicknamed the "choral"?
> 5 The Tim Hortons fast food restaurant chain is based in which
country?

Canada

> 6 Which Shakespeare play opens with the line “If music be the food of
> love, play on…”?
> 7 If a dish is served Florentine which vegetable will it contain?

Spinach

> 8 Who rules in a plutocracy?

Disney's dog :-)

Dan Tilque

Aug 2, 2016, 2:05:45 PM8/2/16
bbowler wrote:

>> 8 Who rules in a plutocracy?
>
> Disney's dog :-)

He's now been demoted to a dwarf dog.

--
Dan Tilque

bbowler

Aug 3, 2016, 12:37:49 PM8/3/16
On Tue, 02 Aug 2016 11:04:15 -0700, Dan Tilque wrote:

> bbowler wrote:
>>
>>> 8 Who rules in a plutocracy?
>>
>> Disney's dog :-)
>
> He's now been demoted to a dwarf dog.

I was waiting for a comment along those lines :-)

Calvin

Aug 4, 2016, 1:52:25 AM8/4/16
I have no objection to the use of translation dictionaries.

regards,
calvin

Calvin

Aug 4, 2016, 1:59:05 AM8/4/16
On Thursday, July 28, 2016 at 3:23:36 PM UTC+10, Calvin wrote:

> 1 According to the Internet Movie Database (among others) which character from the 1999 film "The Phantom Menace" is the dumbest in movie history?

Jar Jar Binks
And it was richly deserved

> 2 In which field event is the world record currently 74.08 metres (men) and 76.80 metres (women)?

Discus

> 3 Which African country is quite literally named "Lion Mountain"?

Sierra Leone

> 4 Which of Beethoven’s nine symphonies is nicknamed the "choral"?

Ninth

> 5 The Tim Hortons fast food restaurant chain is based in which country?

Canada

> 6 Which Shakespeare play opens with the line “If music be the food of love, play on…”?

Twelfth Night
Singleton for Chris

> 7 If a dish is served Florentine which vegetable will it contain?

Spinach

> 8 Who rules in a plutocracy?

The rick / wealthy

> 9 Though better known as a singer, who played the lead role in the 1988 film 'Buster', loosely based on the Great Train Robbery of 1963?

Phil Collins
Singleton for Gareth

> 10 Andy Fletcher, Dave Gahan, Martin Gore and Alan Wilder were members of which English electronic band formed in 1980?

Depeche Mode

Q1 Q2 Q3 Q4 Q5 Q6 Q7 Q8 Q9 Q10 TOTAL TB Quiz 450
1 1 1 1 1 0 1 1 0 0 7 45 Mark Brader
1 0 1 0 1 0 0 1 1 1 6 34 Gareth Owen
1 0 1 0 1 1 1 1 0 0 6 38 Chris Johnson
1 0 0 1 1 0 1 1 0 1 6 39 Bjorn Lundin
0 0 1 1 1 0 1 1 0 0 5 36 Marc Dashevsky
0 1 0 1 1 0 1 0 0 0 4 25 Peter Smyth
0 0 1 1 1 0 0 0 0 1 4 26 Erland S
1 0 1 1 1 0 0 0 0 0 4 30 Pete Gayde
1 0 0 0 1 0 1 1 0 0 4 30 Dan Tilque
1 0 1 0 1 0 1 0 0 0 4 31 Bruce Bowler
- - - - - - - - - - --- ----------
7 2 7 6 10 1 7 6 1 3 50 50%

Congratulations Mark.

cheers,
calvin

Erland Sommarskog

Aug 4, 2016, 3:16:42 AM8/4/16
Least of all if the answer is wrong anyway!

swp

Aug 4, 2016, 8:00:27 AM8/4/16
On Thursday, August 4, 2016 at 1:59:05 AM UTC-4, Calvin wrote:
> On Thursday, July 28, 2016 at 3:23:36 PM UTC+10, Calvin wrote:
>
> > 1 According to the Internet Movie Database (among others) which character from the 1999 film "The Phantom Menace" is the dumbest in movie history?
>
> Jar Jar Binks
> And it was richly deserved

dark lord of the sith binks will no doubt find your lack of faith in him disturbing

> > 8 Who rules in a plutocracy?
>
> The rick / wealthy

I think you meant 'the donald' there :-)

> Congratulations Mark.

indeed. hearty congratulations. pip pip. cheerio. and huzzah!

swp

Gareth Owen

Aug 4, 2016, 3:20:05 PM8/4/16
Calvin <334...@gmail.com> writes:

>> 6 Which Shakespeare play opens with the line “If music be the food
>> of love, play on…”?
>
> Twelfth Night
> Singleton for Chris

I got this one.

I studied it for my English Lit GCSE, and saw a production with Tim
"Captain Darling" McInnery (as Orsino) and Derek Griffiths (as Feste) in
it. I can still recite the rest of that opening soliloquy from memory.

(Though I have to look up how to spell "soliloquy").

Mark Brader

Aug 5, 2016, 2:20:40 AM8/5/16
"Calvin":
> > 8 Who rules in a plutocracy?
>
> The rick ...

Heathfield?

> Congratulations Mark.

Huh! Lucky guess on discus. Thanks.
--
Mark Brader, Toronto The uucp stings you!--More--
m...@vex.net Your purse feels lighter.

Calvin

Aug 7, 2016, 10:14:21 PM8/7/16
On Friday, August 5, 2016 at 5:20:05 AM UTC+10, Gareth Owen wrote:
> Calvin <334...@gmail.com> writes:
>

> >> 6 Which Shakespeare play opens with the line “If music be the food
> >> of love, play on…”?
> >
> > Twelfth Night
> > Singleton for Chris
>
> I got this one.

So you did. Revised scores:

Q1 Q2 Q3 Q4 Q5 Q6 Q7 Q8 Q9 Q10 TOTAL TB Quiz 450
1 0 1 0 1 1 0 1 1 1 7 36 Gareth Owen
1 1 1 1 1 0 1 1 0 0 7 45 Mark Brader
1 0 1 0 1 1 1 1 0 0 6 39 Chris Johnson
1 0 0 1 1 0 1 1 0 1 6 39 Bjorn Lundin
0 0 1 1 1 0 1 1 0 0 5 36 Marc Dashevsky
0 1 0 1 1 0 1 0 0 0 4 25 Peter Smyth
0 0 1 1 1 0 0 0 0 1 4 26 Erland S
1 0 1 1 1 0 0 0 0 0 4 30 Pete Gayde
1 0 0 0 1 0 1 1 0 0 4 30 Dan Tilque
1 0 1 0 1 0 1 0 0 0 4 31 Bruce Bowler
7 2 7 6 10 2 7 6 1 3 51 51%

Congratulations Gareth, and my apologies to Mark.

cheers,
calvin