QFTCICR19 Final, Rounds 2-3: geography, science

Mark Brader

May 17, 2019, 3:56:17 AM5/17/19
These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2019-04-09,
and should be interpreted accordingly.

Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
the correct answers in about 3 days.

All questions were written by members of the Cellar Rats and are
used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have
been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information see
my 2019-01-22 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

** Final, Round 2 - Geography

* Forests and Deserts

In each case name them.

1. The largest forest in the world stretches through the far
northern reaches of Europe and Asia.

2. This is widely accounted the world's oldest desert at 43,000,000
years. Located on the coast of southern Africa, it overlays
southern Namibia and extends into Angola and South Africa.

3. This desert constitutes over 55% of Israel's land area.
Throughout the ages it has been settled by nomads, the Byzantine
Empire, and the Romans.

* Villages

4. Name the village on the North/South Korean border which has been
used as a meeting place for the two countries to resolve
disputes.

5. Name the village in Portugal where, in 1917, three children
allegedly saw an apparition of the Virgin Mary.

6. Name the village in the former Czechoslovakia that Hitler ordered
eradicated in reprisal for the assassination of Reinhard
Heydrich.

* Euro Coins

Each euro coin has one side representing Europe while the other
side has different versions corresponding to different countries
where they are used. On what country's version would you find...

7. ...the letters RF?
8. ...a musical instrument?
9. ...King Philippe?

* Ports

10. The port of Mocha is known for coffee, but what country is
it in?

11. What port city in Morocco was destroyed by an earthquake
in 1961?

12. Fray Bentos is well known in the UK as a brand of tinned
meat pies. The name comes from a port city where they were
originally made. In what country is the city of Fray Bentos?

* Rivers

13. The name Mesopotamia derives from the Greek for "land between
two rivers". One river is the Tigris; what's the other?

14. What river is the second-longest in North America, by
measurement from the farthest headwaters of any tributary to
the main river's mouth?

15. The Blue Nile and White Nile join to form the Nile at what
African city?

** Final, Round 3 - Science

* Solar System Probes

1. The space probe Voyager II visited four planets. Name any *two*.
2. The space probe Dawn visited two asteroids. Name *either*.
3. The space probe Huygens landed on which moon?

* Math

All answers are integers.

4. 4 factorial (4!) equals what?

5. If the hypotenuse of a right-angled triangle is 13 units and
one side is 12 units long, how many units long is the other wise?

6. If t can represent any angle, what is sin²t + cos²t (sin squared
of t + cos squared of t)?

* Fake Science

7. Name the Soviet biologist who dismissed the standard theory
of genetics and instead proposed his own theory which was more
in accordance with Marxist principles. It is believed that
application of his theories contributed to major crop failures.

8. In 1989 scientists Martin Fleischmann (of Britain) and Stanley
Pons (of the US) claimed they had successfully demonstrated
*what form* of clean energy? Other scientists who attempted
to reproduce their work were unable to do so. Be sufficiently
specific.

9. In the 1960s the Dutch-American astronomer Peter van de Kamp made
what claim about the star called Barnard's Star? Later
information showed that he was mistaken and the false results
came from inherent defects in the telescope he was using.

* The Human Body

10. A muscular hydrostat is a structure that is supported by
muscles, not by fluid-filled cavities nor by more rigid
elements such as bones. The muscles also provide for movement,
deformation, and changes in stiffness. What structure in the
human body meets this description?

11. This bone is not connected to any other bones in the body.
It sits atop the larynx and provides an anchor for the muscles
of the floor of the mouth. Name it.

12. Seen in many sea creatures, this phenomenon was also discovered
in humans in 2009, after the development of a camera vastly more
sensitive than the human eye. The effect is the result of free
radicals interacting with free-floating lipids and proteins.
What is it?

* Forensic Science

13. Luminol exhibits chemiluminescence when it contacts trace
amounts of blood, because it reacts with what?

14. Locard's exchange principle of trace evidence is frequently
mentioned in movies and TV shows to do with forensics, but what
is it?

15. Name the field that is concerned with the detection and
interpretation of the effects of various drugs and poisons
on the human body. Tools include mass spectrometry, liquid
chromatography, and immunoassays.

--
Mark Brader | "I'd spell creat with an e."
Toronto | --Ken Thompson, when asked what he'd

Calvin

May 17, 2019, 6:27:54 AM5/17/19
On Friday, May 17, 2019 at 5:56:17 PM UTC+10, Mark Brader wrote:

> ** Final, Round 2 - Geography
>
> * Forests and Deserts
>
> In each case name them.
>
> 1. The largest forest in the world stretches through the far
> northern reaches of Europe and Asia.
>
> 2. This is widely accounted the world's oldest desert at 43,000,000
> years. Located on the coast of southern Africa, it overlays
> southern Namibia and extends into Angola and South Africa.

Kalahari

> 3. This desert constitutes over 55% of Israel's land area.
> Throughout the ages it has been settled by nomads, the Byzantine
> Empire, and the Romans.
>

> * Villages
>
> 4. Name the village on the North/South Korean border which has been
> used as a meeting place for the two countries to resolve
> disputes.

Panmoonjong

> 5. Name the village in Portugal where, in 1917, three children
> allegedly saw an apparition of the Virgin Mary.
>
> 6. Name the village in the former Czechoslovakia that Hitler ordered
> eradicated in reprisal for the assassination of Reinhard
> Heydrich.
>

> * Euro Coins
>
> Each euro coin has one side representing Europe while the other
> side has different versions corresponding to different countries
> where they are used. On what country's version would you find...
>
> 7. ...the letters RF?

Switzerland?

> 8. ...a musical instrument?

Republic of Oreland

> 9. ...King Philippe?

Spain

> * Ports
>
> 10. The port of Mocha is known for coffee, but what country is
> it in?

Turkey, Saudi Arabia

> 11. What port city in Morocco was destroyed by an earthquake
> in 1961?

Marrakesh, Rabat

> 12. Fray Bentos is well known in the UK as a brand of tinned
> meat pies. The name comes from a port city where they were
> originally made. In what country is the city of Fray Bentos?

Wales, Scotland

> * Rivers
>
> 13. The name Mesopotamia derives from the Greek for "land between
> two rivers". One river is the Tigris; what's the other?

Euphrates

> 14. What river is the second-longest in North America, by
> measurement from the farthest headwaters of any tributary to
> the main river's mouth?

McKinley, Mississippi

> 15. The Blue Nile and White Nile join to form the Nile at what
> African city?

Khartoum

> > ** Final, Round 3 - Science
>
> * Solar System Probes
>
> 1. The space probe Voyager II visited four planets. Name any *two*.

Mars and Jupiter

> 2. The space probe Dawn visited two asteroids. Name *either*.

Ceres

> 3. The space probe Huygens landed on which moon?

Ganymede, Callisot

> * Math
>
> All answers are integers.
>
> 4. 4 factorial (4!) equals what?

24

> 5. If the hypotenuse of a right-angled triangle is 13 units and
> one side is 12 units long, how many units long is the other wise?

5 units

> 6. If t can represent any angle, what is sin²t + cos²t (sin squared
> of t + cos squared of t)?

1, pi

> * Fake Science
>
> 7. Name the Soviet biologist who dismissed the standard theory
> of genetics and instead proposed his own theory which was more
> in accordance with Marxist principles. It is believed that
> application of his theories contributed to major crop failures.
>
> 8. In 1989 scientists Martin Fleischmann (of Britain) and Stanley
> Pons (of the US) claimed they had successfully demonstrated
> *what form* of clean energy? Other scientists who attempted
> to reproduce their work were unable to do so. Be sufficiently
> specific.

Cold fusion

> 9. In the 1960s the Dutch-American astronomer Peter van de Kamp made
> what claim about the star called Barnard's Star? Later
> information showed that he was mistaken and the false results
> came from inherent defects in the telescope he was using.
>

> * The Human Body
>
> 10. A muscular hydrostat is a structure that is supported by
> muscles, not by fluid-filled cavities nor by more rigid
> elements such as bones. The muscles also provide for movement,
> deformation, and changes in stiffness. What structure in the
> human body meets this description?
>
> 11. This bone is not connected to any other bones in the body.
> It sits atop the larynx and provides an anchor for the muscles
> of the floor of the mouth. Name it.

Hyoid

> 12. Seen in many sea creatures, this phenomenon was also discovered
> in humans in 2009, after the development of a camera vastly more
> sensitive than the human eye. The effect is the result of free
> radicals interacting with free-floating lipids and proteins.
> What is it?
>

> * Forensic Science
>
> 13. Luminol exhibits chemiluminescence when it contacts trace
> amounts of blood, because it reacts with what?

Hemoglobin

> 14. Locard's exchange principle of trace evidence is frequently
> mentioned in movies and TV shows to do with forensics, but what
> is it?
>
> 15. Name the field that is concerned with the detection and
> interpretation of the effects of various drugs and poisons
> on the human body. Tools include mass spectrometry, liquid
> chromatography, and immunoassays.

toxicology

cheers,
calvin

Dan Blum

May 17, 2019, 12:07:20 PM5/17/19
Mark Brader <m...@vex.net> wrote:
> ** Final, Round 2 - Geography

> * Forests and Deserts

> 1. The largest forest in the world stretches through the far
> northern reaches of Europe and Asia.

Siberian

> 2. This is widely accounted the world's oldest desert at 43,000,000
> years. Located on the coast of southern Africa, it overlays
> southern Namibia and extends into Angola and South Africa.

Namib

> 3. This desert constitutes over 55% of Israel's land area.
> Throughout the ages it has been settled by nomads, the Byzantine
> Empire, and the Romans.

Negev

> * Villages

> 4. Name the village on the North/South Korean border which has been
> used as a meeting place for the two countries to resolve
> disputes.

Panmunjon

> * Euro Coins

> 7. ...the letters RF?

France

> 8. ...a musical instrument?

Ireland

> 9. ...King Philippe?

Belgium

> * Ports

> 10. The port of Mocha is known for coffee, but what country is
> it in?

Somalia; Eritrea

> 12. Fray Bentos is well known in the UK as a brand of tinned
> meat pies. The name comes from a port city where they were
> originally made. In what country is the city of Fray Bentos?

Portugal; Spain

> * Rivers

> 13. The name Mesopotamia derives from the Greek for "land between
> two rivers". One river is the Tigris; what's the other?

Euphrates

> 14. What river is the second-longest in North America, by
> measurement from the farthest headwaters of any tributary to
> the main river's mouth?

Colorado; Missouri

> 15. The Blue Nile and White Nile join to form the Nile at what
> African city?

Khartoum

> ** Final, Round 3 - Science

> * Solar System Probes

> 1. The space probe Voyager II visited four planets. Name any *two*.

Jupiter and Saturn

> 2. The space probe Dawn visited two asteroids. Name *either*.

Ceres

> 3. The space probe Huygens landed on which moon?

Titan

> * Math

> All answers are integers.

> 4. 4 factorial (4!) equals what?

24

5

1

> * Fake Science

> 7. Name the Soviet biologist who dismissed the standard theory
> of genetics and instead proposed his own theory which was more
> in accordance with Marxist principles. It is believed that
> application of his theories contributed to major crop failures.

Lysenko

> 8. In 1989 scientists Martin Fleischmann (of Britain) and Stanley
> Pons (of the US) claimed they had successfully demonstrated
> *what form* of clean energy? Other scientists who attempted
> to reproduce their work were unable to do so. Be sufficiently
> specific.

cold fusion

> 9. In the 1960s the Dutch-American astronomer Peter van de Kamp made
> what claim about the star called Barnard's Star? Later
> information showed that he was mistaken and the false results
> came from inherent defects in the telescope he was using.

it was the closest star to the Sun

> * The Human Body

> 11. This bone is not connected to any other bones in the body.
> It sits atop the larynx and provides an anchor for the muscles
> of the floor of the mouth. Name it.

hyoid

> * Forensic Science

> 13. Luminol exhibits chemiluminescence when it contacts trace
> amounts of blood, because it reacts with what?

hemoglobin

> 15. Name the field that is concerned with the detection and
> interpretation of the effects of various drugs and poisons
> on the human body. Tools include mass spectrometry, liquid
> chromatography, and immunoassays.

toxicology

Dan Blum to...@panix.com

Pete Gayde

May 17, 2019, 5:40:20 PM5/17/19
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:roudnTi3SOCG9EPBnZ2dnUU7-
d3N...@giganews.com:
Panmunjam

> 5. Name the village in Portugal where, in 1917, three children
> allegedly saw an apparition of the Virgin Mary.
>
> 6. Name the village in the former Czechoslovakia that Hitler ordered
> eradicated in reprisal for the assassination of Reinhard
> Heydrich.
>

> * Euro Coins
>
> Each euro coin has one side representing Europe while the other
> side has different versions corresponding to different countries
> where they are used. On what country's version would you find...
>
> 7. ...the letters RF?
> 8. ...a musical instrument?
> 9. ...King Philippe?
>

> * Ports
>
> 10. The port of Mocha is known for coffee, but what country is
> it in?

Mozambique; Tanzania

> 11. What port city in Morocco was destroyed by an earthquake
> in 1961?

Casablanca; Marrakesh

> 12. Fray Bentos is well known in the UK as a brand of tinned
> meat pies. The name comes from a port city where they were
> originally made. In what country is the city of Fray Bentos?

Spain; Portugal

> * Rivers
>
> 13. The name Mesopotamia derives from the Greek for "land between
> two rivers". One river is the Tigris; what's the other?

Euphrates

> 14. What river is the second-longest in North America, by
> measurement from the farthest headwaters of any tributary to
> the main river's mouth?

Missouri; McKenzie

> 15. The Blue Nile and White Nile join to form the Nile at what
> African city?

Khartoum

> ** Final, Round 3 - Science
>
> * Solar System Probes
>
> 1. The space probe Voyager II visited four planets. Name any *two*.

Jupiter, Pluto

> 2. The space probe Dawn visited two asteroids. Name *either*.
> 3. The space probe Huygens landed on which moon?

Io; Titan

> * Math
>
> All answers are integers.
>
> 4. 4 factorial (4!) equals what?

24

> 5. If the hypotenuse of a right-angled triangle is 13 units and
> one side is 12 units long, how many units long is the other wise?

5

> 6. If t can represent any angle, what is sin²t + cos²t (sin squared
> of t + cos squared of t)?
>

> * Fake Science
>
> 7. Name the Soviet biologist who dismissed the standard theory
> of genetics and instead proposed his own theory which was more
> in accordance with Marxist principles. It is believed that
> application of his theories contributed to major crop failures.
>
> 8. In 1989 scientists Martin Fleischmann (of Britain) and Stanley
> Pons (of the US) claimed they had successfully demonstrated
> *what form* of clean energy? Other scientists who attempted
> to reproduce their work were unable to do so. Be sufficiently
> specific.

Nuclear fusion

> 9. In the 1960s the Dutch-American astronomer Peter van de Kamp made
> what claim about the star called Barnard's Star? Later
> information showed that he was mistaken and the false results
> came from inherent defects in the telescope he was using.
>

> * The Human Body
>
> 10. A muscular hydrostat is a structure that is supported by
> muscles, not by fluid-filled cavities nor by more rigid
> elements such as bones. The muscles also provide for movement,
> deformation, and changes in stiffness. What structure in the
> human body meets this description?

Head

> 11. This bone is not connected to any other bones in the body.
> It sits atop the larynx and provides an anchor for the muscles
> of the floor of the mouth. Name it.

Palate

> 12. Seen in many sea creatures, this phenomenon was also discovered
> in humans in 2009, after the development of a camera vastly more
> sensitive than the human eye. The effect is the result of free
> radicals interacting with free-floating lipids and proteins.
> What is it?

Bioluminescence

> * Forensic Science
>
> 13. Luminol exhibits chemiluminescence when it contacts trace
> amounts of blood, because it reacts with what?

Hemoglobin

> 14. Locard's exchange principle of trace evidence is frequently
> mentioned in movies and TV shows to do with forensics, but what
> is it?
>
> 15. Name the field that is concerned with the detection and
> interpretation of the effects of various drugs and poisons
> on the human body. Tools include mass spectrometry, liquid
> chromatography, and immunoassays.

Pete Gayde

Joshua Kreitzer

May 18, 2019, 12:04:02 AM5/18/19
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:roudnTi3SOCG9EPBnZ2dnUU7-
d3N...@giganews.com:

> ** Final, Round 2 - Geography
>
> * Forests and Deserts
>
> In each case name them.
>
> 2. This is widely accounted the world's oldest desert at 43,000,000
> years. Located on the coast of southern Africa, it overlays
> southern Namibia and extends into Angola and South Africa.

Kalahari Desert

> 3. This desert constitutes over 55% of Israel's land area.
> Throughout the ages it has been settled by nomads, the Byzantine
> Empire, and the Romans.

Negev Desert

> * Villages
>
> 4. Name the village on the North/South Korean border which has been
> used as a meeting place for the two countries to resolve
> disputes.

Panmunjom

> 5. Name the village in Portugal where, in 1917, three children
> allegedly saw an apparition of the Virgin Mary.

Fatima

> * Euro Coins
>
> Each euro coin has one side representing Europe while the other
> side has different versions corresponding to different countries
> where they are used. On what country's version would you find...
>
> 7. ...the letters RF?

France

> 8. ...a musical instrument?

Ireland

> 9. ...King Philippe?

Belgium

> * Ports
>
> 10. The port of Mocha is known for coffee, but what country is
> it in?

Yemen; Oman

> * Rivers
>
> 13. The name Mesopotamia derives from the Greek for "land between
> two rivers". One river is the Tigris; what's the other?

Euphrates

> 14. What river is the second-longest in North America, by
> measurement from the farthest headwaters of any tributary to
> the main river's mouth?

Mississippi River

> 15. The Blue Nile and White Nile join to form the Nile at what
> African city?

Khartoum

> ** Final, Round 3 - Science
>
> * Solar System Probes
>
> 1. The space probe Voyager II visited four planets. Name any *two*.

Jupiter and Saturn

> * Math
>
> All answers are integers.
>
> 4. 4 factorial (4!) equals what?

24

1

> * Fake Science
>
> 7. Name the Soviet biologist who dismissed the standard theory
> of genetics and instead proposed his own theory which was more
> in accordance with Marxist principles. It is believed that
> application of his theories contributed to major crop failures.

Lysenko

> 8. In 1989 scientists Martin Fleischmann (of Britain) and Stanley
> Pons (of the US) claimed they had successfully demonstrated
> *what form* of clean energy? Other scientists who attempted
> to reproduce their work were unable to do so. Be sufficiently
> specific.

cold fusion (in a jar)

> * Forensic Science
>
> 15. Name the field that is concerned with the detection and
> interpretation of the effects of various drugs and poisons
> on the human body. Tools include mass spectrometry, liquid
> chromatography, and immunoassays.

toxicology

--
Joshua Kreitzer
grom...@hotmail.com

Erland Sommarskog

May 18, 2019, 3:26:07 AM5/18/19
Mark Brader (m...@vex.net) writes:
> ** Final, Round 2 - Geography
>
> * Forests and Deserts
>
> In each case name them.
>
> 1. The largest forest in the world stretches through the far
> northern reaches of Europe and Asia.

Taiga

> 2. This is widely accounted the world's oldest desert at 43,000,000
> years. Located on the coast of southern Africa, it overlays
> southern Namibia and extends into Angola and South Africa.

Kalahari

> 3. This desert constitutes over 55% of Israel's land area.
> Throughout the ages it has been settled by nomads, the Byzantine
> Empire, and the Romans.

Negev

> 4. Name the village on the North/South Korean border which has been
> used as a meeting place for the two countries to resolve
> disputes.

Pamjungon (Gross distortion of the actual name. Likely too gross to reward
any points.)

> * Euro Coins
>
> 7. ...the letters RF?

France

> 8. ...a musical instrument?

Ireland

> 9. ...King Philippe?

Spain

> 13. The name Mesopotamia derives from the Greek for "land between
> two rivers". One river is the Tigris; what's the other?

Euphrate

> 14. What river is the second-longest in North America, by
> measurement from the farthest headwaters of any tributary to
> the main river's mouth?

Colorado

> 15. The Blue Nile and White Nile join to form the Nile at what
> African city?

Khartoum

> ** Final, Round 3 - Science
>
> * Solar System Probes
>
> 1. The space probe Voyager II visited four planets. Name any *two*.

Mars Jupiter

> 2. The space probe Dawn visited two asteroids. Name *either*.

Ceres

> 3. The space probe Huygens landed on which moon?

Titan

> 4. 4 factorial (4!) equals what?

24

1

> 8. In 1989 scientists Martin Fleischmann (of Britain) and Stanley
> Pons (of the US) claimed they had successfully demonstrated
> *what form* of clean energy? Other scientists who attempted
> to reproduce their work were unable to do so. Be sufficiently
> specific.

Cold Fusion

Dan Tilque

May 18, 2019, 10:58:54 PM5/18/19
On 5/17/19 12:56 AM, Mark Brader wrote:

> ** Final, Round 2 - Geography
>
> * Forests and Deserts
>
> In each case name them.
>
> 1. The largest forest in the world stretches through the far
> northern reaches of Europe and Asia.
>
> 2. This is widely accounted the world's oldest desert at 43,000,000
> years. Located on the coast of southern Africa, it overlays
> southern Namibia and extends into Angola and South Africa.

Kalahari

> 3. This desert constitutes over 55% of Israel's land area.
> Throughout the ages it has been settled by nomads, the Byzantine
> Empire, and the Romans.

Negev

> * Villages
>
> 4. Name the village on the North/South Korean border which has been
> used as a meeting place for the two countries to resolve
> disputes.

Panmunjon

> 5. Name the village in Portugal where, in 1917, three children
> allegedly saw an apparition of the Virgin Mary.

Fatima

> 6. Name the village in the former Czechoslovakia that Hitler ordered
> eradicated in reprisal for the assassination of Reinhard
> Heydrich.

Lidice

> * Euro Coins
>
> Each euro coin has one side representing Europe while the other
> side has different versions corresponding to different countries
> where they are used. On what country's version would you find...
>
> 7. ...the letters RF?
> 8. ...a musical instrument?

Ireland

> 9. ...King Philippe?
>

> * Ports
>
> 10. The port of Mocha is known for coffee, but what country is
> it in?

Yemen

> 11. What port city in Morocco was destroyed by an earthquake
> in 1961?
>
> 12. Fray Bentos is well known in the UK as a brand of tinned
> meat pies. The name comes from a port city where they were
> originally made. In what country is the city of Fray Bentos?
>

> * Rivers
>
> 13. The name Mesopotamia derives from the Greek for "land between
> two rivers". One river is the Tigris; what's the other?

Euphrates

> 14. What river is the second-longest in North America, by
> measurement from the farthest headwaters of any tributary to
> the main river's mouth?

Columbia; Mackenzie

> 15. The Blue Nile and White Nile join to form the Nile at what
> African city?

Khartoum

> ** Final, Round 3 - Science
>
> * Solar System Probes
>
> 1. The space probe Voyager II visited four planets. Name any *two*.

Jupiter, Saturn

(and the other two are Uranus and Neptune)

> 2. The space probe Dawn visited two asteroids. Name *either*.

Vesta

(and Ceres)

> 3. The space probe Huygens landed on which moon?

Titan

> * Math
>
> All answers are integers.
>
> 4. 4 factorial (4!) equals what?

24

> 5. If the hypotenuse of a right-angled triangle is 13 units and
> one side is 12 units long, how many units long is the other wise?

5

> 6. If t can represent any angle, what is sin²t + cos²t (sin squared
> of t + cos squared of t)?

tan squared of t

> * Fake Science
>
> 7. Name the Soviet biologist who dismissed the standard theory
> of genetics and instead proposed his own theory which was more
> in accordance with Marxist principles. It is believed that
> application of his theories contributed to major crop failures.

Lamark

> 8. In 1989 scientists Martin Fleischmann (of Britain) and Stanley
> Pons (of the US) claimed they had successfully demonstrated
> *what form* of clean energy? Other scientists who attempted
> to reproduce their work were unable to do so. Be sufficiently
> specific.

cold fusion

> 9. In the 1960s the Dutch-American astronomer Peter van de Kamp made
> what claim about the star called Barnard's Star? Later
> information showed that he was mistaken and the false results
> came from inherent defects in the telescope he was using.

it has a planet

(They recently found a planet around Barnard's, but it's not certain and
the orbital parameters are much different than van de Kamp's planet.
Also, I believe he later claimed there were 2 planets at Barnard's.)

> * The Human Body
>
> 10. A muscular hydrostat is a structure that is supported by
> muscles, not by fluid-filled cavities nor by more rigid
> elements such as bones. The muscles also provide for movement,
> deformation, and changes in stiffness. What structure in the
> human body meets this description?

tongue

> 11. This bone is not connected to any other bones in the body.
> It sits atop the larynx and provides an anchor for the muscles
> of the floor of the mouth. Name it.

hyoid

> 12. Seen in many sea creatures, this phenomenon was also discovered
> in humans in 2009, after the development of a camera vastly more
> sensitive than the human eye. The effect is the result of free
> radicals interacting with free-floating lipids and proteins.
> What is it?

electroluminescence

> * Forensic Science
>
> 13. Luminol exhibits chemiluminescence when it contacts trace
> amounts of blood, because it reacts with what?

hemoglobin

> 14. Locard's exchange principle of trace evidence is frequently
> mentioned in movies and TV shows to do with forensics, but what
> is it?
>
> 15. Name the field that is concerned with the detection and
> interpretation of the effects of various drugs and poisons
> on the human body. Tools include mass spectrometry, liquid
> chromatography, and immunoassays.

pathology

--
Dan Tilque

Mark Brader

May 20, 2019, 1:24:11 AM5/20/19
Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2019-04-09,
> see my 2019-01-22 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

> ** Final, Round 2 - Geography

> * Forests and Deserts

> In each case name them.

> 1. The largest forest in the world stretches through the far
> northern reaches of Europe and Asia.

Taiga. 4 for Erland.

> 2. This is widely accounted the world's oldest desert at 43,000,000
> years. Located on the coast of southern Africa, it overlays
> southern Namibia and extends into Angola and South Africa.

Namib. (Yes!) 4 for Dan Blum.

The Kalahari is in the same part of Africa, but inland, and technically
is not a desert at all.

> 3. This desert constitutes over 55% of Israel's land area.
> Throughout the ages it has been settled by nomads, the Byzantine
> Empire, and the Romans.

Negev. 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua, Erland, and Dan Tilque.

> * Villages

> 4. Name the village on the North/South Korean border which has been
> used as a meeting place for the two countries to resolve
> disputes.

Panmunjon. 4 for Calvin, Dan Blum, Joshua, and Dan Tilque.
3 for Pete and Erland.

> 5. Name the village in Portugal where, in 1917, three children
> allegedly saw an apparition of the Virgin Mary.

Fatima. 4 for Joshua and Dan Tilque.

> 6. Name the village in the former Czechoslovakia that Hitler ordered
> eradicated in reprisal for the assassination of Reinhard
> Heydrich.

Lidice. 4 for Dan Tilque.

> * Euro Coins

> Each euro coin has one side representing Europe while the other
> side has different versions corresponding to different countries
> where they are used. On what country's version would you find...

> 7. ...the letters RF?

France. ("République Française".) 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua,
and Erland.

> 8. ...a musical instrument?

Ireland. (A harp.) 4 for Colvin, Dan Blum, Joshua, Erland,
and Dan Tilque.

> 9. ...King Philippe?

Belgium. 4 for Dan Blum and Joshua.

> * Ports

> 10. The port of Mocha is known for coffee, but what country is
> it in?

Yemen. 4 for Dan Tilque. 3 for Joshua.

> 11. What port city in Morocco was destroyed by an earthquake
> in 1961?

Agadir.

> 12. Fray Bentos is well known in the UK as a brand of tinned
> meat pies. The name comes from a port city where they were
> originally made. In what country is the city of Fray Bentos?

Uruguay. It's on the Uruguay River about 75 miles from the coast.

> * Rivers

> 13. The name Mesopotamia derives from the Greek for "land between
> two rivers". One river is the Tigris; what's the other?

Euphrates. 4 for everyone -- Calvin, Dan Blum, Pete, Joshua, Erland,
and Dan Tilque.

> 14. What river is the second-longest in North America, by
> measurement from the farthest headwaters of any tributary to
> the main river's mouth?

Mackenzie. 2 for Pete and Dan Tilque.

The Yukon is third, followed by the St. Lawrence and then the Rio Grande.

> 15. The Blue Nile and White Nile join to form the Nile at what
> African city?

Khartoum (Sudan). 4 for everyone.

> ** Final, Round 3 - Science

> * Solar System Probes

> 1. The space probe Voyager II visited four planets. Name any *two*.

Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus, Neptune. 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua,
and Dan Tilque.

> 2. The space probe Dawn visited two asteroids. Name *either*.

Vesta, Ceres. 4 for Calvin, Dan Blum, Erland, and Dan Tilque.

> 3. The space probe Huygens landed on which moon?

Titan. 4 for Dan Blum, Erland, and Dan Tilque. 2 for Pete.

> * Math

> All answers are integers.

> 4. 4 factorial (4!) equals what?

24. 4 for everyone.

> 5. If the hypotenuse of a right-angled triangle is 13 units and
> one side is 12 units long, how many units long is the other wise?

5. 4 for everyone.

> 6. If t can represent any angle, what is sin²t + cos²t (sin squared
> of t + cos squared of t)?

1. 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua, and Erland. 3 for Calvin.

> * Fake Science

> 7. Name the Soviet biologist who dismissed the standard theory
> of genetics and instead proposed his own theory which was more
> in accordance with Marxist principles. It is believed that
> application of his theories contributed to major crop failures.

Trofim Lysenko. 4 for Dan Blum and Joshua.

> 8. In 1989 scientists Martin Fleischmann (of Britain) and Stanley
> Pons (of the US) claimed they had successfully demonstrated
> *what form* of clean energy? Other scientists who attempted
> to reproduce their work were unable to do so. Be sufficiently
> specific.

Cold fusion. (Both words or equivalent description required.)
4 for Calvin, Dan Blum, Joshua, Erland, and Dan Tilque.

> 9. In the 1960s the Dutch-American astronomer Peter van de Kamp made
> what claim about the star called Barnard's Star? Later
> information showed that he was mistaken and the false results
> came from inherent defects in the telescope he was using.

One or more planets orbiting the star. 4 for Dan Tilque.

> * The Human Body

> 10. A muscular hydrostat is a structure that is supported by
> muscles, not by fluid-filled cavities nor by more rigid
> elements such as bones. The muscles also provide for movement,
> deformation, and changes in stiffness. What structure in the
> human body meets this description?

Tongue. 4 for Dan Tilque.

> 11. This bone is not connected to any other bones in the body.
> It sits atop the larynx and provides an anchor for the muscles
> of the floor of the mouth. Name it.

Hyoid or lingual bone. 4 for Calvin, Dan Blum, and Dan Tilque.

> 12. Seen in many sea creatures, this phenomenon was also discovered
> in humans in 2009, after the development of a camera vastly more
> sensitive than the human eye. The effect is the result of free
> radicals interacting with free-floating lipids and proteins.
> What is it?

Bioluminescence. 4 for Pete.

> * Forensic Science

> 13. Luminol exhibits chemiluminescence when it contacts trace
> amounts of blood, because it reacts with what?

The iron in hemoglobin. 4 for Calvin, Dan Blum, Pete, and Dan Tilque.

> 14. Locard's exchange principle of trace evidence is frequently
> mentioned in movies and TV shows to do with forensics, but what
> is it?

Every contact (between objects) leaves a trace.

> 15. Name the field that is concerned with the detection and
> interpretation of the effects of various drugs and poisons
> on the human body. Tools include mass spectrometry, liquid
> chromatography, and immunoassays.

Toxicology. 4 for Calvin, Dan Blum, and Joshua.

Scores, if there are no errors:

FINAL ROUNDS-> 2 3 TOTALS
TOPICS-> Geo Sci
Dan Blum 32 44 76
Dan Tilque 34 40 74
Joshua Kreitzer 35 28 63
Erland Sommarskog 27 24 51
"Calvin" 16 31 47
Pete Gayde 13 18 31

--
Mark Brader, Toronto "In my case, self-absorption is
m...@vex.net completely justified." -- LAURA

Dan Blum

May 20, 2019, 8:34:42 AM5/20/19
Mark Brader <m...@vex.net> wrote:
> > ** Final, Round 2 - Geography

> > * Forests and Deserts

> > In each case name them.

> > 1. The largest forest in the world stretches through the far
> > northern reaches of Europe and Asia.

> Taiga. 4 for Erland.

This is kind of an odd answer. "Taiga" as far as I know refers to a
TYPE of forest, it's not the name of any particular forest. There are
also plenty of taiga regions in North America.

Erland Sommarskog

May 20, 2019, 5:19:26 PM5/20/19
Dan Blum (to...@panix.com) writes:
> Mark Brader <m...@vex.net> wrote:
>> > 1. The largest forest in the world stretches through the far
>> > northern reaches of Europe and Asia.
>
>> Taiga. 4 for Erland.
>
> This is kind of an odd answer. "Taiga" as far as I know refers to a
> TYPE of forest, it's not the name of any particular forest. There are
> also plenty of taiga regions in North America.

I am not going to argue, but rather admit that it felt a little wrong.
But I entered it, as I could not think of anything else.

Mark Brader

May 20, 2019, 7:40:22 PM5/20/19
Mark Brader:

>>> Taiga. 4 for Erland.

Dan Blum:
>> This is kind of an odd answer. "Taiga" as far as I know refers to a
>> TYPE of forest, it's not the name of any particular forest. There are
>> also plenty of taiga regions in North America.

Erland Sommarskog:
> I am not going to argue, but rather admit that it felt a little wrong.
> But I entered it, as I could not think of anything else.

After the sort of question-writing we'd been seeing that season, I am
not surprised to hear this, but I think I'll let this one stand.
--
Mark Brader "I used to think that the name C++
Toronto was a euphemism for D-."