Calvin's Quiz #587

Calvin

Jan 29, 2020, 9:43:04 PM1/29/20

1 Which directors works include The Graduate, Silkwood, and Charlie Wilson's War?
2 In November 2019, German politician Ursula von der Leyen became the first woman to be president of which body?
3 Which sporting goods company supplies Rafael Nadal's footwear?
4 Which character did Diana Rigg portray in the television series The Avengers?
5 Which English actress and writer both stars in and wrote the comedy-drama TV series Fleabag?
6 Th "phanatic" is the mascot of which Major League Baseball team? [Nickname or city]
7 Who played the title role in the 1986 John Hughes film Ferris Bueller's Day Off?
8 The Bahía de Cochinos is an inlet located on which Caribbean island?
9 Which British comedians had a double act called Derek and Clive? [BOTH surnames required]
10 What links Omaha, HORSE, stud and lowball, among others?

cheers,
calvin

Joe Masters

Jan 30, 2020, 1:27:34 AM1/30/20
On 2020-01-30 02:43:03 +0000, Calvin said:

> 1 Which directors works include The Graduate, Silkwood, and Charlie
> Wilson's War?

Nicholls

> 2 In November 2019, German politician Ursula von der Leyen became the
> first woman to be president of which body?

IMF

> 3 Which sporting goods company supplies Rafael Nadal's footwear?

Nike

> 4 Which character did Diana Rigg portray in the television series The Avengers?

Mrs Peel

> 5 Which English actress and writer both stars in and wrote the
> comedy-drama TV series Fleabag?

Phoebe Waller-Bridge

> 6 Th "phanatic" is the mascot of which Major League Baseball team?
> [Nickname or city]

Dallas

> 7 Who played the title role in the 1986 John Hughes film Ferris
> Bueller's Day Off?

John Candy

> 8 The Bahía de Cochinos is an inlet located on which Caribbean island?

Haiti

> 9 Which British comedians had a double act called Derek and Clive?
> [BOTH surnames required]

Peter Cook and Dudley Moore

> 10 What links Omaha, HORSE, stud and lowball, among others?

Versions of poker

--
“To err, as they say, is human. To forgive is divine. To err by
withholding your forgiveness until it’s too late is to become divinely

Mark Brader

Jan 30, 2020, 7:34:06 AM1/30/20
Calvin:

> 1 Which directors works include The Graduate, Silkwood, and
> Charlie Wilson's War?

Nichols.

> 2 In November 2019, German politician Ursula von der Leyen
> became the first woman to be president of which body?

FIFA?

> 3 Which sporting goods company supplies Rafael Nadal's footwear?

Adidas?

> 4 Which character did Diana Rigg portray in the television
> series The Avengers?

Emma Peel. (Which, apparently, the writers derived from the phrase
"man appeal")

> 5 Which English actress and writer both stars in and wrote the
> comedy-drama TV series Fleabag?

Johnson.

> 6 Th "phanatic" is the mascot of which Major League Baseball
> team? [Nickname or city]

Phillies.

> 7 Who played the title role in the 1986 John Hughes film Ferris
> Bueller's Day Off?

Broderick.

> 8 The Bahía de Cochinos is an inlet located on which Caribbean island?

Cuba.

> 9 Which British comedians had a double act called Derek and
> Clive? [BOTH surnames required]

Johnson and Johnson.

> 10 What links Omaha, HORSE, stud and lowball, among others?

Poker.
--
Mark Brader | "The nice thing about standards is
Toronto | that you have so many to choose from..."

Dan Blum

Jan 30, 2020, 10:29:57 AM1/30/20
Calvin <334...@gmail.com> wrote:

> 2 In November 2019, German politician Ursula von der Leyen became the first woman to be president of which body?

European Union

> 3 Which sporting goods company supplies Rafael Nadal's footwear?

Nike

> 4 Which character did Diana Rigg portray in the television series The Avengers?

Emma Peel

> 5 Which English actress and writer both stars in and wrote the comedy-drama TV series Fleabag?

Phoebe Waller-Bridge

> 6 Th "phanatic" is the mascot of which Major League Baseball team? [Nickname or city]

Phillies

> 7 Who played the title role in the 1986 John Hughes film Ferris Bueller's Day Off?

Matthew Broderick

> 8 The Bah??a de Cochinos is an inlet located on which Caribbean island?

Jamaica

> 10 What links Omaha, HORSE, stud and lowball, among others?

Poker games

Dan Blum to...@panix.com

Pete Gayde

Jan 30, 2020, 5:43:09 PM1/30/20
Calvin <334...@gmail.com> wrote in

> 1 Which directors works include The Graduate, Silkwood, and
> Charlie Wilson's War?

Mike Nichols

> 2 In November 2019, German politician Ursula
> von der Leyen became the first woman to be president of which body?

European Parliament

> 3 Which sporting goods company supplies Rafael Nadal's footwear?

Adidas

> 4 Which character did Diana Rigg portray in the television series
> The Avengers?

Emma Peel

> 5 Which English actress and writer both stars in and
> wrote the comedy-drama TV series Fleabag?

Phoebe Waller-Bridge

> 6 Th "phanatic" is the
> mascot of which Major League Baseball team? [Nickname or city]

Philadelphia Phillies

> 7 Who played the title role in the 1986 John Hughes film Ferris
> Bueller's Day Off?

Matthew Broderick

> 8 The Bahía de Cochinos is an inlet located on
> which Caribbean island?

Cuba

> 9 Which British comedians had a double act
> called Derek and Clive? [BOTH surnames required]

Jacobi and Jones

> 10 What links
> Omaha, HORSE, stud and lowball, among others?

Poker games

> cheers,
> calvin

Pete Gayde

Erland Sommarskog

Jan 30, 2020, 6:36:42 PM1/30/20
Calvin (334...@gmail.com) writes:
> 2 In November 2019, German politician Ursula von der Leyen became
> the first woman to be president of which body?

EU Commuission

> 3 Which sporting goods company supplies Rafael Nadal's footwear?

Nike

> 8 The Bahía de Cochinos is an inlet located on which Caribbean island?

Cuba

Erland Sommarskog

Jan 30, 2020, 6:38:19 PM1/30/20
Mark Brader (m...@vex.net) writes:
>> 2 In November 2019, German politician Ursula von der Leyen
>> became the first woman to be president of which body?
>
> FIFA?

Mark, you have posted the same question. And been picky on the answer.

Mark Brader

Jan 30, 2020, 8:15:57 PM1/30/20
"Calvin":
>>> 2 In November 2019, German politician Ursula von der Leyen
>>> became the first woman to be president of which body?

Mark Brader:
>> FIFA?

Erland Sommarskog:
> Mark, you have posted the same question. And been picky on the answer.

It's been known to happen.
--
Mark Brader, Toronto "It's the almost correct solutions that
m...@vex.net are the most dangerous..." -- Dave Eisen

Dan Tilque

Jan 30, 2020, 10:45:33 PM1/30/20
On 1/29/20 6:43 PM, Calvin wrote:

> 1 Which directors works include The Graduate, Silkwood, and Charlie Wilson's War?
> 2 In November 2019, German politician Ursula von der Leyen became the first woman to be president of which body?

European Council

> 3 Which sporting goods company supplies Rafael Nadal's footwear?

adidas

> 4 Which character did Diana Rigg portray in the television series The Avengers?

Emma Peel

> 5 Which English actress and writer both stars in and wrote the comedy-drama TV series Fleabag?
> 6 Th "phanatic" is the mascot of which Major League Baseball team? [Nickname or city]
> 7 Who played the title role in the 1986 John Hughes film Ferris Bueller's Day Off?
> 8 The Bahía de Cochinos is an inlet located on which Caribbean island?

Cuba

> 9 Which British comedians had a double act called Derek and Clive? [BOTH surnames required]
> 10 What links Omaha, HORSE, stud and lowball, among others?

types of poker

--
Dan Tilque

Calvin

Feb 6, 2020, 6:14:00 PM2/6/20
On Thursday, January 30, 2020 at 12:43:04 PM UTC+10, Calvin wrote:

> 1 Which directors works include The Graduate, Silkwood, and Charlie Wilson's War?

Mike Nichols

> 2 In November 2019, German politician Ursula von der Leyen became the first woman to be president of which body?

EU Commission
I'll accept Council as close enough, but not Parliament

> 3 Which sporting goods company supplies Rafael Nadal's footwear?

Nike

> 4 Which character did Diana Rigg portray in the television series The Avengers?

Emma Peel

> 5 Which English actress and writer both stars in and wrote the comedy-drama TV series Fleabag?

Phoebe Waller-Bridge

> 6 The "phanatic" is the mascot of which Major League Baseball team? [Nickname or city]

Philadelphia Phillies

> 7 Who played the title role in the 1986 John Hughes film Ferris Bueller's Day Off?

Matthew Broderick

> 8 The Bahía de Cochinos is an inlet located on which Caribbean island?

Cuba
aka the Bay of Pigs

> 9 Which British comedians had a double act called Derek and Clive? [BOTH surnames required]

Dudley Moore and Peter Cook
Singleton for Joe

> 10 What links Omaha, HORSE, stud and lowball, among others?

Poker variations

Q1 Q2 Q3 Q4 Q5 Q6 Q7 Q8 Q9 Q10 TOTAL TB Quiz 587
0 1 1 1 1 1 1 0 0 1 7 25 Dan Blum
1 0 0 1 1 1 1 1 0 1 7 26 Pete Gayde
1 0 1 1 1 0 0 0 1 1 6 20 Joe Masters
1 0 0 1 0 1 1 1 0 1 6 23 Mark Brader
0 1 0 1 0 0 0 1 0 1 4 17 Dan Tilque
0 1 1 0 0 0 0 1 0 0 3 10 Erland S
- - - - - - - - - - --- ----------
3 3 3 5 3 3 3 4 1 5 33 55%

Congratulations Dan B.

cheers,
calvin

Erland Sommarskog

Feb 7, 2020, 3:08:10 AM2/7/20
Calvin (334...@gmail.com) writes:
>> 2 In November 2019, German politician Ursula von der Leyen became the
>> first woman to be president of which body?
>
> EU Commission
> I'll accept Council as close enough, but not Parliament

The European Council is a different body. It consists of the heads of
the governments of the member state and it has a President, which currently
is Charles Michel who recently succeeded Europe's own Donald T.

Calvin

Feb 9, 2020, 6:08:20 PM2/9/20
I'm sure it is, but for anyone outside the EU the distinction not particularly significant.

cheers,
calvin

Erland Sommarskog

Feb 10, 2020, 6:17:14 PM2/10/20
Calvin (334...@gmail.com) writes:
> I'm sure it is, but for anyone outside the EU the distinction not
> particularly significant.

What was the name of the head of state of Australia? Scott Morrison,
wasn't it?

Calvin

Feb 10, 2020, 6:39:40 PM2/10/20
Nope :-)