QFTCIRS Game 9, Rounds 4,6: near-disasters and new names

Mark Brader

Jan 29, 2020, 12:49:26 AM1/29/20
These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2019-11-18,
and should be interpreted accordingly.

Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
the correct answers in about 3 days.

All questions were written by members of the Red Smarties and are
used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have
been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information see
my 2019-10-16 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

* Game 9, Round 4 - History - Nearly Disasters

This round tests your knowledge of historical events that were
*almost* major disasters.

1. On 2017-07-17, instead of a runway, Air Canada flight 759
nearly landed on a taxiway containing four fully-loaded
passenger planes. It came within 14 feet of hitting one of
them. At which city's airport did this incident occur?

2. Air Canada flight 143 was a passenger plane that ran out of fuel
at 41,000 feet on 1983-07-23, due in part to confusion between
metric and Imperial fuel measurements. What nickname was the
plane then given?

3. A skyscraper originally called Citicorp Center stands 59 stories
tall and was the 7th-tallest building on earth when it opened
in 1977. In 1978, an engineering student discovered a flaw
that could cause the building to collapse in a "once every
16 years" storm. The building underwent secret emergency
repairs and still stands -- in what city?

4. Apollo 13 is a famous near-disaster and we've all seen the movie.
Name any *astronaut* on board Apollo 13. No, we will not accept
Tom Hanks.

5. Aum Shinrikyo achieved notoriety after releasing Sarin nerve
agent in the Tokyo subway in 1995. Two years earlier they failed
to cause an epidemic in Tokyo despite spraying *what bacteria*
from the water tower on top of their headquarters?

6. On 1961-01-23 a plane flying near Goldsboro, NC, broke up in the
air and two of *these* fell to the ground. Documents revealed
in 2013 told how close this event came to being a much bigger
disaster. What fell to the earth?

Please do not decode the rot13 for questions #7-10 until after you have
finished with #1-6.

7. Va bgure ahpyrne zvfunc arjf, n 1980 nppvqrag fnj n Gevqrag
zvffvyr fvyb va Qnznfphf rkcybqr, oybjvat gur 740-gba fgrry qbbe
bss gur fvyb naq rwrpgvat gur ahpyrne jneurnq 100 srrg njnl.
Abg gur Qnznfphf va Flevn, bs pbhefr -- va jung HF fgngr
jnf guvf?

8. Infvyl Nexuvcbi vf jvqryl perqvgrq jvgu fvatyr-unaqrqyl nibvqvat
ahpyrne qvfnfgre. Ur jnf pbzzbqber bs Fbivrg ahpyrne fhoznevar
O-59, naq ba 1962-10-27, gur fhoznevar jnf qrgrpgrq ol HF fuvcf.
Nexuvcbi jnf gur ybar ibgr ntnvafg ynhapuvat n ahpyrne fgevxr.
*Bss gur pbnfg bs juvpu pbhagel* qvq guvf rirag hasbyq?

9. Fgnavfyni Crgebi nyfb snzbhfyl naq fvatyr-unaqrqyl nibvqrq
ahpyrne jne ba 1983-09-26, juvyr jbexvat sbe gur Fbivrg nve
qrsrafr, ol ershfvat gb ynhapu zvffvyrf nsgre na rneyl jneavat
flfgrz reebarbhfyl qrgrpgrq gur Nzrevpnaf unq ynhapurq gurvef.
Grafvbaf jrer uvtu orpnhfr, rneyvre gung zbagu, gur Fbivrgf
unq fubg qbja jung?

10. 80,000 crbcyr jrer rinphngrq va 1971 sebz gur Ybf Natryrf nern
orpnhfr gur Ina Abezna qnz jnf ernql gb oernpu. Jung pnhfrq
guvf arne-qvfnfgre?

* Game 9, Round 6 - Literature - First First Names

1. The name Vanessa was invented for a poem written in 1726 by
which Anglo-Irish satirist, once a dean of St. Patrick's
Cathedral in Dublin?

2. The name Pamela, originally pronounced "Pa-MEL-a", was created
toward the end of the sixteenth century for the pastoral romance
"Arcadia". The inventor of this name also wrote "Astrophel
and Stella". Name him.

3. Miranda is a name created by Shakespeare for one of the
last plays that he wrote alone, in which Miranda lives with
her banished father. She is 3 years old when she is first
introduced. Name the play.

4. Also created by Shakespeare, the name Jessica is another famous
daughter, although in a more minor capacity. She elopes with
Lorenzo after stealing her father's gold, which results in her
father exacting revenge upon Antonio. Name the play.

5. Olivia was yet another name coined by Shakespeare. In this
play she was a rich countess wooed by a duke, but is not to be
confused with the play's main character, Viola. Name the play.

6. The name Cedric was created for a novel written about medieval
England by Sir Walter Scott, following one of the last Saxon
noble families in an era of Norman nobility. What is the name
of this novel?

7. This name was created for the title character in an 1887 Marie
Corelli novel, but more popularly was a character played by
Geena Davis in a 1991 road trip movie directed by Ridley Scott.

8. One of the most famous names created (or at least popularized)
in literature, this name may predate its appearance in a 1904
play by J.M. Barrie, but only became popular after its use in
the play. Which name?

9. "Cora" was not used as a given name in the English world until
it appeared in a novel in which Cora and Alice Munro traverse the
wilderness of New York state, eventually finding Natty Bumppo.
Name this novel.

10. Claribel is often thought to be another Shakespeare name,
also from <answer 3>, but actually originated earlier in which
1590 epic poem by Edmund Spenser?

--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "The singular of 'data' is not 'anecdote.'"
m...@vex.net | -- Jeff Goldberg

Joshua Kreitzer

Jan 29, 2020, 1:21:17 AM1/29/20
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in

> * Game 9, Round 4 - History - Nearly Disasters
>
> This round tests your knowledge of historical events that were
> *almost* major disasters.
>
> 2. Air Canada flight 143 was a passenger plane that ran out of fuel
> at 41,000 feet on 1983-07-23, due in part to confusion between
> metric and Imperial fuel measurements. What nickname was the
> plane then given?

Gimli Glider

> 3. A skyscraper originally called Citicorp Center stands 59 stories
> tall and was the 7th-tallest building on earth when it opened
> in 1977. In 1978, an engineering student discovered a flaw
> that could cause the building to collapse in a "once every
> 16 years" storm. The building underwent secret emergency
> repairs and still stands -- in what city?

New York

> 4. Apollo 13 is a famous near-disaster and we've all seen the movie.
> Name any *astronaut* on board Apollo 13. No, we will not accept
> Tom Hanks.

Jim Lovell

> Please do not decode the rot13 for questions #7-10 until after you
> have finished with #1-6.
>
> 9. Fgnavfyni Crgebi nyfb snzbhfyl naq fvatyr-unaqrqyl nibvqrq
> ahpyrne jne ba 1983-09-26, juvyr jbexvat sbe gur Fbivrg nve
> qrsrafr, ol ershfvat gb ynhapu zvffvyrf nsgre na rneyl jneavat
> flfgrz reebarbhfyl qrgrpgrq gur Nzrevpnaf unq ynhapurq gurvef.
> Grafvbaf jrer uvtu orpnhfr, rneyvre gung zbagu, gur Fbivrgf
> unq fubg qbja jung?

a Korean Air Lines plane

> 10. 80,000 crbcyr jrer rinphngrq va 1971 sebz gur Ybf Natryrf nern
> orpnhfr gur Ina Abezna qnz jnf ernql gb oernpu. Jung pnhfrq
> guvf arne-qvfnfgre?

earthquake

> * Game 9, Round 6 - Literature - First First Names
>
> 1. The name Vanessa was invented for a poem written in 1726 by
> which Anglo-Irish satirist, once a dean of St. Patrick's
> Cathedral in Dublin?

Swift

> 2. The name Pamela, originally pronounced "Pa-MEL-a", was created
> toward the end of the sixteenth century for the pastoral romance
> "Arcadia". The inventor of this name also wrote "Astrophel
> and Stella". Name him.

Sidney

> 3. Miranda is a name created by Shakespeare for one of the
> last plays that he wrote alone, in which Miranda lives with
> her banished father. She is 3 years old when she is first
> introduced. Name the play.

"The Tempest"

> 4. Also created by Shakespeare, the name Jessica is another famous
> daughter, although in a more minor capacity. She elopes with
> Lorenzo after stealing her father's gold, which results in her
> father exacting revenge upon Antonio. Name the play.

"The Merchant of Venice"

> 5. Olivia was yet another name coined by Shakespeare. In this
> play she was a rich countess wooed by a duke, but is not to be
> confused with the play's main character, Viola. Name the play.

"Twelfth Night"

> 6. The name Cedric was created for a novel written about medieval
> England by Sir Walter Scott, following one of the last Saxon
> noble families in an era of Norman nobility. What is the name
> of this novel?

"Ivanhoe"; "Waverley"

> 7. This name was created for the title character in an 1887 Marie
> Corelli novel, but more popularly was a character played by
> Geena Davis in a 1991 road trip movie directed by Ridley Scott.

Thelma

> 8. One of the most famous names created (or at least popularized)
> in literature, this name may predate its appearance in a 1904
> play by J.M. Barrie, but only became popular after its use in
> the play. Which name?

Wendy

> 9. "Cora" was not used as a given name in the English world until
> it appeared in a novel in which Cora and Alice Munro traverse the
> wilderness of New York state, eventually finding Natty Bumppo.
> Name this novel.

"The Deerslayer"; "The Last of the Mohicans"

> 10. Claribel is often thought to be another Shakespeare name,
> also from <answer 3>, but actually originated earlier in which
> 1590 epic poem by Edmund Spenser?

"The Faerie Queene"

--
Joshua Kreitzer
grom...@hotmail.com

Dan Blum

Jan 29, 2020, 9:53:19 AM1/29/20
Mark Brader <m...@vex.net> wrote:

> * Game 9, Round 4 - History - Nearly Disasters

> 1. On 2017-07-17, instead of a runway, Air Canada flight 759
> nearly landed on a taxiway containing four fully-loaded
> passenger planes. It came within 14 feet of hitting one of
> them. At which city's airport did this incident occur?

San Francisco

> 2. Air Canada flight 143 was a passenger plane that ran out of fuel
> at 41,000 feet on 1983-07-23, due in part to confusion between
> metric and Imperial fuel measurements. What nickname was the
> plane then given?

Gimli Glider

> 3. A skyscraper originally called Citicorp Center stands 59 stories
> tall and was the 7th-tallest building on earth when it opened
> in 1977. In 1978, an engineering student discovered a flaw
> that could cause the building to collapse in a "once every
> 16 years" storm. The building underwent secret emergency
> repairs and still stands -- in what city?

New York City

> 4. Apollo 13 is a famous near-disaster and we've all seen the movie.
> Name any *astronaut* on board Apollo 13. No, we will not accept
> Tom Hanks.

Lovell

> 5. Aum Shinrikyo achieved notoriety after releasing Sarin nerve
> agent in the Tokyo subway in 1995. Two years earlier they failed
> to cause an epidemic in Tokyo despite spraying *what bacteria*
> from the water tower on top of their headquarters?

E. coli

> 6. On 1961-01-23 a plane flying near Goldsboro, NC, broke up in the
> air and two of *these* fell to the ground. Documents revealed
> in 2013 told how close this event came to being a much bigger
> disaster. What fell to the earth?

nuclear weapons

> Please do not decode the rot13 for questions #7-10 until after you have
> finished with #1-6.

> 7. Va bgure ahpyrne zvfunc arjf, n 1980 nppvqrag fnj n Gevqrag
> zvffvyr fvyb va Qnznfphf rkcybqr, oybjvat gur 740-gba fgrry qbbe
> bss gur fvyb naq rwrpgvat gur ahpyrne jneurnq 100 srrg njnl.
> Abg gur Qnznfphf va Flevn, bs pbhefr -- va jung HF fgngr
> jnf guvf?

Nevada; Montana

> 8. Infvyl Nexuvcbi vf jvqryl perqvgrq jvgu fvatyr-unaqrqyl nibvqvat
> ahpyrne qvfnfgre. Ur jnf pbzzbqber bs Fbivrg ahpyrne fhoznevar
> O-59, naq ba 1962-10-27, gur fhoznevar jnf qrgrpgrq ol HF fuvcf.
> Nexuvcbi jnf gur ybar ibgr ntnvafg ynhapuvat n ahpyrne fgevxr.
> *Bss gur pbnfg bs juvpu pbhagel* qvq guvf rirag hasbyq?

Cuba

> 9. Fgnavfyni Crgebi nyfb snzbhfyl naq fvatyr-unaqrqyl nibvqrq
> ahpyrne jne ba 1983-09-26, juvyr jbexvat sbe gur Fbivrg nve
> qrsrafr, ol ershfvat gb ynhapu zvffvyrf nsgre na rneyl jneavat
> flfgrz reebarbhfyl qrgrpgrq gur Nzrevpnaf unq ynhapurq gurvef.
> Grafvbaf jrer uvtu orpnhfr, rneyvre gung zbagu, gur Fbivrgf
> unq fubg qbja jung?

Korean Air Lines flight 007

> 10. 80,000 crbcyr jrer rinphngrq va 1971 sebz gur Ybf Natryrf nern
> orpnhfr gur Ina Abezna qnz jnf ernql gb oernpu. Jung pnhfrq
> guvf arne-qvfnfgre?

earthquake

> * Game 9, Round 6 - Literature - First First Names

> 1. The name Vanessa was invented for a poem written in 1726 by
> which Anglo-Irish satirist, once a dean of St. Patrick's
> Cathedral in Dublin?

Jonathan Swift

> 2. The name Pamela, originally pronounced "Pa-MEL-a", was created
> toward the end of the sixteenth century for the pastoral romance
> "Arcadia". The inventor of this name also wrote "Astrophel
> and Stella". Name him.

Sidney

> 3. Miranda is a name created by Shakespeare for one of the
> last plays that he wrote alone, in which Miranda lives with
> her banished father. She is 3 years old when she is first
> introduced. Name the play.

The Tempest

> 4. Also created by Shakespeare, the name Jessica is another famous
> daughter, although in a more minor capacity. She elopes with
> Lorenzo after stealing her father's gold, which results in her
> father exacting revenge upon Antonio. Name the play.

The Merchant of Venice

> 5. Olivia was yet another name coined by Shakespeare. In this
> play she was a rich countess wooed by a duke, but is not to be
> confused with the play's main character, Viola. Name the play.

Twelfth Night

> 6. The name Cedric was created for a novel written about medieval
> England by Sir Walter Scott, following one of the last Saxon
> noble families in an era of Norman nobility. What is the name
> of this novel?

Ivanhoe

> 7. This name was created for the title character in an 1887 Marie
> Corelli novel, but more popularly was a character played by
> Geena Davis in a 1991 road trip movie directed by Ridley Scott.

Thelma

> 8. One of the most famous names created (or at least popularized)
> in literature, this name may predate its appearance in a 1904
> play by J.M. Barrie, but only became popular after its use in
> the play. Which name?

Wendy

> 9. "Cora" was not used as a given name in the English world until
> it appeared in a novel in which Cora and Alice Munro traverse the
> wilderness of New York state, eventually finding Natty Bumppo.
> Name this novel.

The Deerslayer; The Last of the Mohicans

> 10. Claribel is often thought to be another Shakespeare name,
> also from <answer 3>, but actually originated earlier in which
> 1590 epic poem by Edmund Spenser?

The Faerie Queene

Dan Blum to...@panix.com

Erland Sommarskog

Jan 29, 2020, 3:06:49 PM1/29/20
Mark Brader (m...@vex.net) writes:
> 9. Stanislav Petrov also famously and single-handedly avoided
> nuclear war on 1983-09-26, while working for the Soviet air
> defense, by refusing to launch missiles after an early warning
> system erroneously detected the Americans had launched theirs.
> Tensions were high because, earlier that month, the Soviets
> had shot down what?

A South Korean passenger plane.

Calvin

Jan 29, 2020, 9:58:20 PM1/29/20
On Wednesday, January 29, 2020 at 3:49:26 PM UTC+10, Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 9, Round 4 - History - Nearly Disasters
>
> This round tests your knowledge of historical events that were
> *almost* major disasters.
>
> 1. On 2017-07-17, instead of a runway, Air Canada flight 759
> nearly landed on a taxiway containing four fully-loaded
> passenger planes. It came within 14 feet of hitting one of
> them. At which city's airport did this incident occur?
>
> 2. Air Canada flight 143 was a passenger plane that ran out of fuel
> at 41,000 feet on 1983-07-23, due in part to confusion between
> metric and Imperial fuel measurements. What nickname was the
> plane then given?
>
> 3. A skyscraper originally called Citicorp Center stands 59 stories
> tall and was the 7th-tallest building on earth when it opened
> in 1977. In 1978, an engineering student discovered a flaw
> that could cause the building to collapse in a "once every
> 16 years" storm. The building underwent secret emergency
> repairs and still stands -- in what city?
>
> 4. Apollo 13 is a famous near-disaster and we've all seen the movie.
> Name any *astronaut* on board Apollo 13. No, we will not accept
> Tom Hanks.

Lovell

> 5. Aum Shinrikyo achieved notoriety after releasing Sarin nerve
> agent in the Tokyo subway in 1995. Two years earlier they failed
> to cause an epidemic in Tokyo despite spraying *what bacteria*
> from the water tower on top of their headquarters?
>
> 6. On 1961-01-23 a plane flying near Goldsboro, NC, broke up in the
> air and two of *these* fell to the ground. Documents revealed
> in 2013 told how close this event came to being a much bigger
> disaster. What fell to the earth?
>
> Please do not decode the rot13 for questions #7-10 until after you have
> finished with #1-6.
>
> 7. Va bgure ahpyrne zvfunc arjf, n 1980 nppvqrag fnj n Gevqrag
> zvffvyr fvyb va Qnznfphf rkcybqr, oybjvat gur 740-gba fgrry qbbe
> bss gur fvyb naq rwrpgvat gur ahpyrne jneurnq 100 srrg njnl.
> Abg gur Qnznfphf va Flevn, bs pbhefr -- va jung HF fgngr
> jnf guvf?
>
> 8. Infvyl Nexuvcbi vf jvqryl perqvgrq jvgu fvatyr-unaqrqyl nibvqvat
> ahpyrne qvfnfgre. Ur jnf pbzzbqber bs Fbivrg ahpyrne fhoznevar
> O-59, naq ba 1962-10-27, gur fhoznevar jnf qrgrpgrq ol HF fuvcf.
> Nexuvcbi jnf gur ybar ibgr ntnvafg ynhapuvat n ahpyrne fgevxr.
> *Bss gur pbnfg bs juvpu pbhagel* qvq guvf rirag hasbyq?

Cuba?

> 9. Fgnavfyni Crgebi nyfb snzbhfyl naq fvatyr-unaqrqyl nibvqrq
> ahpyrne jne ba 1983-09-26, juvyr jbexvat sbe gur Fbivrg nve
> qrsrafr, ol ershfvat gb ynhapu zvffvyrf nsgre na rneyl jneavat
> flfgrz reebarbhfyl qrgrpgrq gur Nzrevpnaf unq ynhapurq gurvef.
> Grafvbaf jrer uvtu orpnhfr, rneyvre gung zbagu, gur Fbivrgf
> unq fubg qbja jung?
>
> 10. 80,000 crbcyr jrer rinphngrq va 1971 sebz gur Ybf Natryrf nern
> orpnhfr gur Ina Abezna qnz jnf ernql gb oernpu. Jung pnhfrq
> guvf arne-qvfnfgre?
>

> * Game 9, Round 6 - Literature - First First Names
>
> 1. The name Vanessa was invented for a poem written in 1726 by
> which Anglo-Irish satirist, once a dean of St. Patrick's
> Cathedral in Dublin?

Swift

> 2. The name Pamela, originally pronounced "Pa-MEL-a", was created
> toward the end of the sixteenth century for the pastoral romance
> "Arcadia". The inventor of this name also wrote "Astrophel
> and Stella". Name him.

Marlowe?

> 3. Miranda is a name created by Shakespeare for one of the
> last plays that he wrote alone, in which Miranda lives with
> her banished father. She is 3 years old when she is first
> introduced. Name the play.

The Tempest

> 4. Also created by Shakespeare, the name Jessica is another famous
> daughter, although in a more minor capacity. She elopes with
> Lorenzo after stealing her father's gold, which results in her
> father exacting revenge upon Antonio. Name the play.

The Merchant of Venice

> 5. Olivia was yet another name coined by Shakespeare. In this
> play she was a rich countess wooed by a duke, but is not to be
> confused with the play's main character, Viola. Name the play.

Two Gentlemen of Verona?

> 6. The name Cedric was created for a novel written about medieval
> England by Sir Walter Scott, following one of the last Saxon
> noble families in an era of Norman nobility. What is the name
> of this novel?

Ivanhoe

> 7. This name was created for the title character in an 1887 Marie
> Corelli novel, but more popularly was a character played by
> Geena Davis in a 1991 road trip movie directed by Ridley Scott.

Thelma

> 8. One of the most famous names created (or at least popularized)
> in literature, this name may predate its appearance in a 1904
> play by J.M. Barrie, but only became popular after its use in
> the play. Which name?

Wendy

> 9. "Cora" was not used as a given name in the English world until
> it appeared in a novel in which Cora and Alice Munro traverse the
> wilderness of New York state, eventually finding Natty Bumppo.
> Name this novel.
>
> 10. Claribel is often thought to be another Shakespeare name,
> also from <answer 3>, but actually originated earlier in which
> 1590 epic poem by Edmund Spenser?

The Fairie Queen

cheers,
calvin

Dan Tilque

Jan 30, 2020, 6:37:32 AM1/30/20
On 1/28/20 9:49 PM, Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 9, Round 4 - History - Nearly Disasters
>
> This round tests your knowledge of historical events that were
> *almost* major disasters.
>
> 1. On 2017-07-17, instead of a runway, Air Canada flight 759
> nearly landed on a taxiway containing four fully-loaded
> passenger planes. It came within 14 feet of hitting one of
> them. At which city's airport did this incident occur?
>
> 2. Air Canada flight 143 was a passenger plane that ran out of fuel
> at 41,000 feet on 1983-07-23, due in part to confusion between
> metric and Imperial fuel measurements. What nickname was the
> plane then given?

Gimli Glider

> 3. A skyscraper originally called Citicorp Center stands 59 stories
> tall and was the 7th-tallest building on earth when it opened
> in 1977. In 1978, an engineering student discovered a flaw
> that could cause the building to collapse in a "once every
> 16 years" storm. The building underwent secret emergency
> repairs and still stands -- in what city?
>
> 4. Apollo 13 is a famous near-disaster and we've all seen the movie.
> Name any *astronaut* on board Apollo 13. No, we will not accept
> Tom Hanks.

James Lovell

> 5. Aum Shinrikyo achieved notoriety after releasing Sarin nerve
> agent in the Tokyo subway in 1995. Two years earlier they failed
> to cause an epidemic in Tokyo despite spraying *what bacteria*
> from the water tower on top of their headquarters?

anthrax

> 6. On 1961-01-23 a plane flying near Goldsboro, NC, broke up in the
> air and two of *these* fell to the ground. Documents revealed
> in 2013 told how close this event came to being a much bigger
> disaster. What fell to the earth?

nuclear bombs

> Please do not decode the rot13 for questions #7-10 until after you have
> finished with #1-6.
>
> 7. Va bgure ahpyrne zvfunc arjf, n 1980 nppvqrag fnj n Gevqrag
> zvffvyr fvyb va Qnznfphf rkcybqr, oybjvat gur 740-gba fgrry qbbe
> bss gur fvyb naq rwrpgvat gur ahpyrne jneurnq 100 srrg njnl.
> Abg gur Qnznfphf va Flevn, bs pbhefr -- va jung HF fgngr
> jnf guvf?

Arkansas

> 8. Infvyl Nexuvcbi vf jvqryl perqvgrq jvgu fvatyr-unaqrqyl nibvqvat
> ahpyrne qvfnfgre. Ur jnf pbzzbqber bs Fbivrg ahpyrne fhoznevar
> O-59, naq ba 1962-10-27, gur fhoznevar jnf qrgrpgrq ol HF fuvcf.
> Nexuvcbi jnf gur ybar ibgr ntnvafg ynhapuvat n ahpyrne fgevxr.
> *Bss gur pbnfg bs juvpu pbhagel* qvq guvf rirag hasbyq?
>
> 9. Fgnavfyni Crgebi nyfb snzbhfyl naq fvatyr-unaqrqyl nibvqrq
> ahpyrne jne ba 1983-09-26, juvyr jbexvat sbe gur Fbivrg nve
> qrsrafr, ol ershfvat gb ynhapu zvffvyrf nsgre na rneyl jneavat
> flfgrz reebarbhfyl qrgrpgrq gur Nzrevpnaf unq ynhapurq gurvef.
> Grafvbaf jrer uvtu orpnhfr, rneyvre gung zbagu, gur Fbivrgf
> unq fubg qbja jung?

KAL 007

> 10. 80,000 crbcyr jrer rinphngrq va 1971 sebz gur Ybf Natryrf nern
> orpnhfr gur Ina Abezna qnz jnf ernql gb oernpu. Jung pnhfrq
> guvf arne-qvfnfgre?
>

> * Game 9, Round 6 - Literature - First First Names
>
> 1. The name Vanessa was invented for a poem written in 1726 by
> which Anglo-Irish satirist, once a dean of St. Patrick's
> Cathedral in Dublin?

Jonathan Swift

> 2. The name Pamela, originally pronounced "Pa-MEL-a", was created
> toward the end of the sixteenth century for the pastoral romance
> "Arcadia". The inventor of this name also wrote "Astrophel
> and Stella". Name him.

Spencer

> 3. Miranda is a name created by Shakespeare for one of the
> last plays that he wrote alone, in which Miranda lives with
> her banished father. She is 3 years old when she is first
> introduced. Name the play.

A Midsummer Nights's Dream

> 4. Also created by Shakespeare, the name Jessica is another famous
> daughter, although in a more minor capacity. She elopes with
> Lorenzo after stealing her father's gold, which results in her
> father exacting revenge upon Antonio. Name the play.

The Merchant of Venice

> 5. Olivia was yet another name coined by Shakespeare. In this
> play she was a rich countess wooed by a duke, but is not to be
> confused with the play's main character, Viola. Name the play.

Love's Labour's Lost

> 6. The name Cedric was created for a novel written about medieval
> England by Sir Walter Scott, following one of the last Saxon
> noble families in an era of Norman nobility. What is the name
> of this novel?

Ivanhoe

> 7. This name was created for the title character in an 1887 Marie
> Corelli novel, but more popularly was a character played by
> Geena Davis in a 1991 road trip movie directed by Ridley Scott.
>
> 8. One of the most famous names created (or at least popularized)
> in literature, this name may predate its appearance in a 1904
> play by J.M. Barrie, but only became popular after its use in
> the play. Which name?

Wendy

> 9. "Cora" was not used as a given name in the English world until
> it appeared in a novel in which Cora and Alice Munro traverse the
> wilderness of New York state, eventually finding Natty Bumppo.
> Name this novel.

The Last of the Mohicans

> 10. Claribel is often thought to be another Shakespeare name,
> also from <answer 3>, but actually originated earlier in which
> 1590 epic poem by Edmund Spenser?

The Faerie Queene

--
Dan Tilque

Pete Gayde

Jan 30, 2020, 6:03:39 PM1/30/20
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:qKWdnUBdfdx8gazDnZ2dnUU7-
W3N...@giganews.com:

> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2019-11-18,

> Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
> the correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of the Red Smarties and are
> used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have
> been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information see
> my 2019-10-16 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>

> * Game 9, Round 4 - History - Nearly Disasters
>
> This round tests your knowledge of historical events that were
> *almost* major disasters.
>
> 1. On 2017-07-17, instead of a runway, Air Canada flight 759
> nearly landed on a taxiway containing four fully-loaded
> passenger planes. It came within 14 feet of hitting one of
> them. At which city's airport did this incident occur?

Montreal; Edmonton

> 2. Air Canada flight 143 was a passenger plane that ran out of fuel
> at 41,000 feet on 1983-07-23, due in part to confusion between
> metric and Imperial fuel measurements. What nickname was the
> plane then given?
>
> 3. A skyscraper originally called Citicorp Center stands 59 stories
> tall and was the 7th-tallest building on earth when it opened
> in 1977. In 1978, an engineering student discovered a flaw
> that could cause the building to collapse in a "once every
> 16 years" storm. The building underwent secret emergency
> repairs and still stands -- in what city?

San Francisco; Boston

> 4. Apollo 13 is a famous near-disaster and we've all seen the movie.
> Name any *astronaut* on board Apollo 13. No, we will not accept
> Tom Hanks.

Lovell

> 5. Aum Shinrikyo achieved notoriety after releasing Sarin nerve
> agent in the Tokyo subway in 1995. Two years earlier they failed
> to cause an epidemic in Tokyo despite spraying *what bacteria*
> from the water tower on top of their headquarters?

E Coli

> 6. On 1961-01-23 a plane flying near Goldsboro, NC, broke up in the
> air and two of *these* fell to the ground. Documents revealed
> in 2013 told how close this event came to being a much bigger
> disaster. What fell to the earth?

Nuclear bombs

> Please do not decode the rot13 for questions #7-10 until after you
have
> finished with #1-6.
>
> 7. Va bgure ahpyrne zvfunc arjf, n 1980 nppvqrag fnj n Gevqrag
> zvffvyr fvyb va Qnznfphf rkcybqr, oybjvat gur 740-gba fgrry qbbe
> bss gur fvyb naq rwrpgvat gur ahpyrne jneurnq 100 srrg njnl.
> Abg gur Qnznfphf va Flevn, bs pbhefr -- va jung HF fgngr
> jnf guvf?

Georgia; Texas

> 8. Infvyl Nexuvcbi vf jvqryl perqvgrq jvgu fvatyr-unaqrqyl nibvqvat
> ahpyrne qvfnfgre. Ur jnf pbzzbqber bs Fbivrg ahpyrne fhoznevar
> O-59, naq ba 1962-10-27, gur fhoznevar jnf qrgrpgrq ol HF fuvcf.
> Nexuvcbi jnf gur ybar ibgr ntnvafg ynhapuvat n ahpyrne fgevxr.
> *Bss gur pbnfg bs juvpu pbhagel* qvq guvf rirag hasbyq?

Cuba

> 9. Fgnavfyni Crgebi nyfb snzbhfyl naq fvatyr-unaqrqyl nibvqrq
> ahpyrne jne ba 1983-09-26, juvyr jbexvat sbe gur Fbivrg nve
> qrsrafr, ol ershfvat gb ynhapu zvffvyrf nsgre na rneyl jneavat
> flfgrz reebarbhfyl qrgrpgrq gur Nzrevpnaf unq ynhapurq gurvef.
> Grafvbaf jrer uvtu orpnhfr, rneyvre gung zbagu, gur Fbivrgf
> unq fubg qbja jung?

A South Korean passenger plane

> 10. 80,000 crbcyr jrer rinphngrq va 1971 sebz gur Ybf Natryrf nern
> orpnhfr gur Ina Abezna qnz jnf ernql gb oernpu. Jung pnhfrq
> guvf arne-qvfnfgre?

Earthquake

> * Game 9, Round 6 - Literature - First First Names
>
> 1. The name Vanessa was invented for a poem written in 1726 by
> which Anglo-Irish satirist, once a dean of St. Patrick's
> Cathedral in Dublin?

Swift

> 2. The name Pamela, originally pronounced "Pa-MEL-a", was created
> toward the end of the sixteenth century for the pastoral romance
> "Arcadia". The inventor of this name also wrote "Astrophel
> and Stella". Name him.
>
> 3. Miranda is a name created by Shakespeare for one of the
> last plays that he wrote alone, in which Miranda lives with
> her banished father. She is 3 years old when she is first
> introduced. Name the play.

Troilus and Cressida

> 4. Also created by Shakespeare, the name Jessica is another famous
> daughter, although in a more minor capacity. She elopes with
> Lorenzo after stealing her father's gold, which results in her
> father exacting revenge upon Antonio. Name the play.

Merchant of Venice

> 5. Olivia was yet another name coined by Shakespeare. In this
> play she was a rich countess wooed by a duke, but is not to be
> confused with the play's main character, Viola. Name the play.

Taming of the Shrew

> 6. The name Cedric was created for a novel written about medieval
> England by Sir Walter Scott, following one of the last Saxon
> noble families in an era of Norman nobility. What is the name
> of this novel?
>
> 7. This name was created for the title character in an 1887 Marie
> Corelli novel, but more popularly was a character played by
> Geena Davis in a 1991 road trip movie directed by Ridley Scott.

Thelma

> 8. One of the most famous names created (or at least popularized)
> in literature, this name may predate its appearance in a 1904
> play by J.M. Barrie, but only became popular after its use in
> the play. Which name?

Wendy

> 9. "Cora" was not used as a given name in the English world until
> it appeared in a novel in which Cora and Alice Munro traverse the
> wilderness of New York state, eventually finding Natty Bumppo.
> Name this novel.

Last of the Mohicans

> 10. Claribel is often thought to be another Shakespeare name,
> also from <answer 3>, but actually originated earlier in which
> 1590 epic poem by Edmund Spenser?

Beowulf

Pete Gayde

Mark Brader

Feb 1, 2020, 12:19:08 AM2/1/20
Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2019-11-18,
> see my 2019-10-16 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

> * Game 9, Round 4 - History - Nearly Disasters

> This round tests your knowledge of historical events that were
> *almost* major disasters.

> 1. On 2017-07-17, instead of a runway, Air Canada flight 759
> nearly landed on a taxiway containing four fully-loaded
> passenger planes. It came within 14 feet of hitting one of
> them. At which city's airport did this incident occur?

San Francisco. 4 for Dan Blum.

> 2. Air Canada flight 143 was a passenger plane that ran out of fuel
> at 41,000 feet on 1983-07-23, due in part to confusion between
> metric and Imperial fuel measurements. What nickname was the
> plane then given?

Gimli Glider. 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, and Dan Tilque.

> 3. A skyscraper originally called Citicorp Center stands 59 stories
> tall and was the 7th-tallest building on earth when it opened
> in 1977. In 1978, an engineering student discovered a flaw
> that could cause the building to collapse in a "once every
> 16 years" storm. The building underwent secret emergency
> repairs and still stands -- in what city?

New York. (Since Citigroup sold the building, it is known only by
its street address.) 4 for Joshua and Dan Blum.

> 4. Apollo 13 is a famous near-disaster and we've all seen the movie.
> Name any *astronaut* on board Apollo 13. No, we will not accept
> Tom Hanks!

Fred Haise, James Lovell, John Swigert. 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum,
Calvin, Dan Tilque, and Pete.

> 5. Aum Shinrikyo achieved notoriety after releasing Sarin nerve
> agent in the Tokyo subway in 1995. Two years earlier they failed
> to cause an epidemic in Tokyo despite spraying *what bacteria*
> from the water tower on top of their headquarters?

Anthrax (Bacillus anthracis). 4 for Dan Tilque.

> 6. On 1961-01-23 a plane flying near Goldsboro, NC, broke up in the
> air and two of *these* fell to the ground. Documents revealed
> in 2013 told how close this event came to being a much bigger
> disaster. What fell to the earth?

Nuclear bombs. 4 for Dan Blum, Dan Tilque, and Pete.

> Please do not decode the rot13 for questions #7-10 until after you have
> finished with #1-6.

> 7. In other nuclear mishap news, a 1980 accident saw a Trident
> missile silo in Damascus explode, blowing the 740-ton steel door
> off the silo and ejecting the nuclear warhead 100 feet away.
> Not the Damascus in Syria, of course -- in what US state
> was this?

Arkansas. 4 for Dan Tilque.

> 8. Vasily Arkhipov is widely credited with single-handedly avoiding
> nuclear disaster. He was commodore of Soviet nuclear submarine
> B-59, and on 1962-10-27, the submarine was detected by US ships.
> Arkhipov was the lone vote against launching a nuclear strike.
> *Off the coast of which country* did this event unfold?

Cuba. 4 for Dan Blum, Calvin, and Pete.

During the Cuban Missile Crisis the US blockaded the coast of Cuba.
Due to limited communications there was concern aboard the submarine
that war might already have broken out, and the nuclear bomb would
have been launched as a torpedo against the blockading ships.

> 9. Stanislav Petrov also famously and single-handedly avoided
> nuclear war on 1983-09-26, while working for the Soviet air
> defense, by refusing to launch missiles after an early warning
> system erroneously detected the Americans had launched theirs.
> Tensions were high because, earlier that month, the Soviets
> had shot down what?

Korean Airlines flight 7 or 007 (specific details not required).
4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, Erland, Dan Tilque, and Pete.

> 10. 80,000 people were evacuated in 1971 from the Los Angeles area
> because the Van Norman dam was ready to breach. What caused
> this near-disaster?

San Fernando earthquake. ("Earthquake" was sufficient. The risk was
further damage from an aftershock.) 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, and Pete.

This one was included in the rot13 in order to not give away the
fact that it was *not* a nuclear issue.

> * Game 9, Round 6 - Literature - First First Names

> 1. The name Vanessa was invented for a poem written in 1726 by
> which Anglo-Irish satirist, once a dean of St. Patrick's
> Cathedral in Dublin?

Jonathan Swift. 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, Calvin, Dan Tilque, and Pete.

> 2. The name Pamela, originally pronounced "Pa-MEL-a", was created
> toward the end of the sixteenth century for the pastoral romance
> "Arcadia". The inventor of this name also wrote "Astrophel
> and Stella". Name him.

Philip Sidney. 4 for Joshua and Dan Blum.

> 3. Miranda is a name created by Shakespeare for one of the
> last plays that he wrote alone, in which Miranda lives with
> her banished father. She is 3 years old when she is first
> introduced. Name the play.

"The Tempest". 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, and Calvin.

On 2019-11-28, the same day I edited this round for the newsgroup,
"Jeopardy!" had a category on Mirandas, and they also asked a question
that mentioned this character and asked for the play title.

> 4. Also created by Shakespeare, the name Jessica is another famous
> daughter, although in a more minor capacity. She elopes with
> Lorenzo after stealing her father's gold, which results in her
> father exacting revenge upon Antonio. Name the play.

"The Merchant of Venice". 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, Calvin, Dan Tilque,
and Pete.

> 5. Olivia was yet another name coined by Shakespeare. In this
> play she was a rich countess wooed by a duke, but is not to be
> confused with the play's main character, Viola. Name the play.

"Twelfth Night". 4 for Joshua and Dan Blum.

> 6. The name Cedric was created for a novel written about medieval
> England by Sir Walter Scott, following one of the last Saxon
> noble families in an era of Norman nobility. What is the name
> of this novel?

"Ivanhoe". 4 for Dan Blum, Calvin, and Dan Tilque. 3 for Joshua.

> 7. This name was created for the title character in an 1887 Marie
> Corelli novel, but more popularly was a character played by
> Geena Davis in a 1991 road trip movie directed by Ridley Scott.

"Thelma". 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, Calvin, and Pete.

> 8. One of the most famous names created (or at least popularized)
> in literature, this name may predate its appearance in a 1904
> play by J.M. Barrie, but only became popular after its use in
> the play. Which name?

Wendy. 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, Calvin, Dan Tilque, and Pete.

> 9. "Cora" was not used as a given name in the English world until
> it appeared in a novel in which Cora and Alice Munro traverse the
> wilderness of New York state, eventually finding Natty Bumppo.
> Name this novel.

"Last of the Mohicans". 4 for Dan Tilque and Pete. 2 for Joshua
and Dan Blum.

> 10. Claribel is often thought to be another Shakespeare name,
> also from <answer 3>, but actually originated earlier in which
> 1590 epic poem by Edmund Spenser?

"The Faerie Queene". 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, Calvin, and Dan Tilque.

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAME 9 ROUNDS-> 3 4 6 TOTALS
TOPICS-> Ent His Lit
Dan Blum 20 32 38 90
Joshua Kreitzer 24 20 37 81
Pete Gayde 24 20 20 64
Dan Tilque 8 24 24 56
"Calvin" 16 8 28 52
Erland Sommarskog -- 4 0 4

--
Mark Brader, Toronto "More importantly, Mark is just plain wrong."
m...@vex.net -- John Hollingsworth