Calvin's Quiz #444

Calvin

Jun 17, 2016, 1:27:02 AM6/17/16
1 The car manufacturer Kia is headquartered in which country?
2 Widely regarded as the best French football (soccer) player of all time, who was president of UEFA from 2007 until his suspension in late 2015?
3 Which English painter (1724 – 1806) was best known for his paintings of horses?
4 Which singer had a hit in 1978 with a song sharing its title with an 1847 novel by Emily Bronte?
5 Which spice is traditionally used to garnish egg nog?
6 Dalmatian dogs originated in which modern-day country?
7 What is the key ingredient of the Japanese seasoning miso?
8 In the Kübler-Ross 'the five stages of grief' model, which is the first emotion experienced by people faced with impending trauma?
9 What activity did Oscar Wilde describe as “the unspeakable in full pursuit of the uneatable"?
10 How many different 4-block shapes are used are used in the traditional version of the game Tetris?

cheers,
calvin

Mark Brader

Jun 17, 2016, 2:21:41 AM6/17/16
Calvin:
> 1 The car manufacturer Kia is headquartered in which country?

South Korea.

> 2 Widely regarded as the best French football (soccer) player of
> all time, who was president of UEFA from 2007 until his suspension
> in late 2015?

Blatter?

> 3 Which English painter (1724 -- 1806) was best known for his
> paintings of horses?

Constable?

> 4 Which singer had a hit in 1978 with a song sharing its title
> with an 1847 novel by Emily Bronte?

ObAustralianGuess: Olivia Newton-John?

> 5 Which spice is traditionally used to garnish egg nog?

Nutmeg.

> 6 Dalmatian dogs originated in which modern-day country?

Croatia.

> 7 What is the key ingredient of the Japanese seasoning miso?

Seaweed.

> 8 In the Kübler-Ross 'the five stages of grief' model, which is
> the first emotion experienced by people faced with impending
> trauma?

Denial, if that's an emotion.

> 9 What activity did Oscar Wilde describe as "the unspeakable in
> full pursuit of the uneatable"?

Foxhunting.

> 10 How many different 4-block shapes are used are used in the
> traditional version of the game Tetris?

6.
--
Mark Brader "I'm not Richard, either.
Toronto Oh, wait: I am! Lucky me!"

Erland Sommarskog

Jun 17, 2016, 2:33:53 AM6/17/16
Calvin (334...@gmail.com) writes:
> 1 The car manufacturer Kia is headquartered in which country?

Republic of Korea

> 2 Widely regarded as the best French football (soccer) player of all
> time, who was president of UEFA from 2007 until his suspension in late
> 2015?

Michel Platini

> 4 Which singer had a hit in 1978 with a song sharing its title with
> an 1847 novel by Emily Bronte?

Kate Bush

> 5 Which spice is traditionally used to garnish egg nog?

Cinnamon

> 6 Dalmatian dogs originated in which modern-day country?

Croatia

> 7 What is the key ingredient of the Japanese seasoning miso?

Seagrass

> 10 How many different 4-block shapes are used are used in the
> traditional version of the game Tetris?

8? (I've no idea; never played it.)

Gareth Owen

Jun 17, 2016, 1:26:16 PM6/17/16
Calvin <334...@gmail.com> writes:

> 1 The car manufacturer Kia is headquartered in which country?

South Korea?

> 2 Widely regarded as the best French football (soccer) player of all
> time, who was president of UEFA from 2007 until his suspension in late
> 2015?

Platini

> 3 Which English painter (1724 – 1806) was best known for his paintings
> of horses?

Stubbs

> 4 Which singer had a hit in 1978 with a song sharing its title with an
> 1847 novel by Emily Bronte?

Bush

> 5 Which spice is traditionally used to garnish egg nog?

Cinnamon?

> 6 Dalmatian dogs originated in which modern-day country?

Croatia

> 7 What is the key ingredient of the Japanese seasoning miso?

Chilli??

> 8 In the Kübler-Ross 'the five stages of grief' model, which is the
> first emotion experienced by people faced with impending trauma?

Shock

> 9 What activity did Oscar Wilde describe as “the unspeakable in full
> pursuit of the uneatable"?

Foxhunting

> 10 How many different 4-block shapes are used are used in the
> traditional version of the game Tetris?

XXXX XX XX XX X X X
XX XX XX XXX XXX XXX

Seven

Björn Lundin

Jun 17, 2016, 2:13:43 PM6/17/16
On 2016-06-17 07:27, Calvin wrote:
> 1 The car manufacturer Kia is headquartered in which country?
South Korea
> 2 Widely regarded as the best French football (soccer) player of all time, who was president of UEFA from 2007 until his suspension in late 2015?
Platini
> 3 Which English painter (1724 – 1806) was best known for his paintings of horses?
> 4 Which singer had a hit in 1978 with a song sharing its title with an 1847 novel by Emily Bronte?
Kate Bush
> 5 Which spice is traditionally used to garnish egg nog?
> 6 Dalmatian dogs originated in which modern-day country?
Bosnia-Hercegovina
> 7 What is the key ingredient of the Japanese seasoning miso?
> 8 In the Kübler-Ross 'the five stages of grief' model, which is the first emotion experienced by people faced with impending trauma?
Anger?
6

> cheers,
> calvin

Björn

bbowler

Jun 17, 2016, 3:15:56 PM6/17/16
On Thu, 16 Jun 2016 22:27:02 -0700, Calvin wrote:

> 1 The car manufacturer Kia is headquartered in which country?

S. Korea

> 2 Widely regarded as the best French football (soccer) player of all
> time, who was president of UEFA from 2007 until his suspension in late
> 2015?
> 3 Which English painter (1724 – 1806) was best known for his
paintings
> of horses?
> 4 Which singer had a hit in 1978 with a song sharing its title with
an
> 1847 novel by Emily Bronte?
> 5 Which spice is traditionally used to garnish egg nog?

Nutmeg

> 6 Dalmatian dogs originated in which modern-day country?

Croatia

> 7 What is the key ingredient of the Japanese seasoning miso?

soybeans

> 8 In the Kübler-Ross 'the five stages of grief' model, which is the
> first emotion experienced by people faced with impending trauma?

denial (is not just a river in Egypt :-_)

7

> cheers,
> calvin

Dan Tilque

Jun 17, 2016, 3:27:09 PM6/17/16
Calvin wrote:
> 1 The car manufacturer Kia is headquartered in which country?

South Korea

> 2 Widely regarded as the best French football (soccer) player of all time, who was president of UEFA from 2007 until his suspension in late 2015?

Zidane

> 3 Which English painter (1724 – 1806) was best known for his paintings of horses?
> 4 Which singer had a hit in 1978 with a song sharing its title with an 1847 novel by Emily Bronte?
> 5 Which spice is traditionally used to garnish egg nog?

cinnamon ??

> 6 Dalmatian dogs originated in which modern-day country?

Croatia

> 7 What is the key ingredient of the Japanese seasoning miso?

wasabi

> 8 In the Kübler-Ross 'the five stages of grief' model, which is the first emotion experienced by people faced with impending trauma?

denial

> 9 What activity did Oscar Wilde describe as “the unspeakable in full pursuit of the uneatable"?

fox hunting

> 10 How many different 4-block shapes are used are used in the traditional version of the game Tetris?

7

--
Dan Tilque

Chris F.A. Johnson

Jun 17, 2016, 5:08:03 PM6/17/16
On 2016-06-17, Calvin wrote:
> 1 The car manufacturer Kia is headquartered in which country?

S. Korea

> 2 Widely regarded as the best French football (soccer) player of all time, who was president of UEFA from 2007 until his suspension in late 2015?
> 3 Which English painter (1724 ??? 1806) was best known for his paintings of horses?

Stubbs

> 4 Which singer had a hit in 1978 with a song sharing its title with an 1847 novel by Emily Bronte?
> 5 Which spice is traditionally used to garnish egg nog?

Nutmeg

> 6 Dalmatian dogs originated in which modern-day country?

Croatia

> 7 What is the key ingredient of the Japanese seasoning miso?

Malted grain

> 8 In the K??bler-Ross 'the five stages of grief' model, which is the first emotion experienced by people faced with impending trauma?

Denial

4

--
Chris F.A. Johnson

Peter Smyth

Jun 17, 2016, 6:18:23 PM6/17/16
Calvin wrote:

> 1 The car manufacturer Kia is headquartered in which country?
South Korea
> 2 Widely regarded as the best French football (soccer) player of all
> time, who was president of UEFA from 2007 until his suspension in
> late 2015?
Michele Platini
> 3 Which English painter (1724 – 1806) was best known for his
> paintings of horses?
>
> 4 Which singer had a hit in 1978 with a song sharing its title with
> an 1847 novel by Emily Bronte?
Kate Bush
> 5 Which spice is traditionally used to garnish egg nog?
>
> 6 Dalmatian dogs originated in which modern-day country?
Italy
> 7 What is the key ingredient of the Japanese seasoning miso?
>
> 8 In the Kübler-Ross 'the five stages of grief' model, which is the
> first emotion experienced by people faced with impending trauma?
Denial
> 9 What activity did Oscar Wilde describe as “the unspeakable in full
> pursuit of the uneatable"?
Foxhunting
> 10 How many different 4-block shapes are used are used in the
> traditional version of the game Tetris?
5 or 7 depending on if you count reflections as separate.

Peter Smyth

Pete

Jun 18, 2016, 11:43:09 PM6/18/16
Calvin <334...@gmail.com> wrote in

> 1 The car manufacturer Kia is headquartered in which country?

South Korea

> 2 Widely regarded as the best French football (soccer) player of
> all time, who was president of UEFA from 2007 until his suspension in
> late 2015?

Michel Platini

> 3 Which English painter (1724 – 1806) was best known
> for his paintings of horses?

Gainsborough

> 4 Which singer had a hit in 1978 with
> a song sharing its title with an 1847 novel by Emily Bronte?
> 5 Which spice is traditionally used to garnish egg nog?

Nutmeg

> 6 Dalmatian dogs originated in which modern-day country?

Croatia

> 7 What is the key
> ingredient of the Japanese seasoning miso?

Soy

> 8 In the Kübler-Ross
> 'the five stages of grief' model, which is the first emotion
> experienced by people faced with impending trauma?

Grief

> 9 What activity
> did Oscar Wilde describe as “the unspeakable in full pursuit of the
> uneatable"?
> 10 How many different 4-block shapes are used are
> used in the traditional version of the game Tetris?

15

> cheers,
> calvin

Pete Gayde

Calvin

Jun 22, 2016, 11:16:36 PM6/22/16
On Friday, June 17, 2016 at 3:27:02 PM UTC+10, Calvin wrote:

> 1 The car manufacturer Kia is headquartered in which country?

South Kores

> 2 Widely regarded as the best French football (soccer) player of all time, who was president of UEFA from 2007 until his suspension in late 2015?

Michel Platini

> 3 Which English painter (1724 – 1806) was best known for his paintings of horses?

George Stubbs

> 4 Which singer had a hit in 1978 with a song sharing its title with an 1847 novel by Emily Bronte?

Kate Bush

> 5 Which spice is traditionally used to garnish egg nog?

Nutmeg

> 6 Dalmatian dogs originated in which modern-day country?

Croatia

> 7 What is the key ingredient of the Japanese seasoning miso?

Soy bean

> 8 In the Kübler-Ross 'the five stages of grief' model, which is the first emotion experienced by people faced with impending trauma?

Denial

> 9 What activity did Oscar Wilde describe as “the unspeakable in full pursuit of the uneatable"?

Foxhunting

> 10 How many different 4-block shapes are used are used in the traditional version of the game Tetris?

7

Q1 Q2 Q3 Q4 Q5 Q6 Q7 Q8 Q9 Q10 TOTAL TB Quiz 444
1 1 1 1 0 1 0 0 1 1 7 35 Gareth Owen
1 0 0 0 1 1 1 1 0 1 6 30 Bruce Bowler
1 0 1 0 1 1 0 1 1 0 6 32 Chris Johnson
1 1 0 0 1 1 1 0 0 0 5 27 Pete Gayde
1 1 0 1 0 0 0 1 1 0 5 28 Peter Smyth
1 0 0 0 0 1 0 1 1 1 5 29 Dan Tilque
1 0 0 0 1 1 0 1 1 0 5 30 Mark Brader
1 1 0 1 0 1 0 0 0 0 4 25 Erland S
1 1 0 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 3 18 Bjorn Lundin
- - - - - - - - - - --- ----------
9 5 2 4 4 7 2 5 5 3 46 51%

That one was tougher than average. Congratulations Gareth.

cheers,
calvin

Gareth Owen

Jun 25, 2016, 7:30:19 AM6/25/16
Calvin <334...@gmail.com> writes:

>> 8 In the Kübler-Ross 'the five stages of grief' model, which is the
>> first emotion experienced by people faced with impending trauma?
>
> Denial

No it isnt

Peter Smyth

Jun 25, 2016, 9:17:58 AM6/25/16
I'm furious at Calvin for that scoring decision.

Gareth Owen

Jun 25, 2016, 10:49:29 AM6/25/16
Maybe we can persuade him to rescore?
If we asked him nicely, do you think he would?

Peter Smyth

Jun 25, 2016, 11:17:19 AM6/25/16
It's too late, it's not worth entering any more.

Gareth Owen

Jun 25, 2016, 1:03:41 PM6/25/16
Oh, well. It could be worse. Life goes on.
There's a new Calvin's Quiz posted, so we'll enter that one.

Erland Sommarskog

Jun 25, 2016, 5:53:16 PM6/25/16
Didn't you just prove him right? :-)

Mark Brader

Jun 25, 2016, 8:32:05 PM6/25/16
"Calvin":

>>> Denial

Gareth Owen:
>> No it isnt

Erland Sommarskog:
> Didn't you just prove him right? :-)

I came here for a good argument. An argument is a connected series
of statements to establish a definite proposition. It isn't just
contradiction. Argument is an intellectual process... contradiction
is just the automatic gainsaying of anything the other person says.
--
Mark Brader "I can say nothing at this point."
Toronto "Well, you were wrong."

Dan Tilque

Jun 25, 2016, 10:39:02 PM6/25/16
Mark Brader wrote:
> "Calvin":
>
> Gareth Owen:
>>> No it isnt
>
> Erland Sommarskog:
>> Didn't you just prove him right? :-)
>
> I came here for a good argument. An argument is a connected series
> of statements to establish a definite proposition. It isn't just
> contradiction. Argument is an intellectual process... contradiction
> is just the automatic gainsaying of anything the other person says.

No it isn't.

--
Dan Tilque

Calvin

Jun 27, 2016, 2:29:11 AM6/27/16
Not necessarily. I could be denying in my spare time.

cheers,
calvin

Mark Brader

Jun 28, 2016, 5:08:11 PM6/28/16
"Calvin":
> Not necessarily. I could be denying in my spare time.

Are you planning to respond to the actual protest?
--
Mark Brader, Toronto "You can fool too many of the people
m...@vex.net too much of the time." -- James Thurber

Gareth Owen

Jun 28, 2016, 5:10:28 PM6/28/16
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) writes:

> "Calvin":
>> Not necessarily. I could be denying in my spare time.
>
> Are you planning to respond to the actual protest?

Was there an actual protest?

Mark Brader

Jun 28, 2016, 5:28:00 PM6/28/16
Mark Brader:
> > Are you planning to respond to the actual protest?

Gareth Owen:
> Was there an actual protest?

I assumed there was an actual protest which happened to be expressed
in an amusing way.
--
Mark Brader, Toronto "People say I'm a skeptic --
m...@vex.net but I find that hard to believe."

Calvin

Jun 28, 2016, 10:22:35 PM6/28/16
On Wednesday, June 29, 2016 at 7:28:00 AM UTC+10, Mark Brader wrote:
> Mark Brader:
> > > Are you planning to respond to the actual protest?
>
> Gareth Owen:
> > Was there an actual protest?
>
> I assumed there was an actual protest which happened to be expressed
> in an amusing way.

I assumed you were just having a laugh. If there is a protest then please confirm.

cheers,
calvin

Gareth Owen

Jun 29, 2016, 2:07:11 AM6/29/16