QFTCI16 Current Events 7-8

Mark Brader

Jul 12, 2016, 5:02:17 AM7/12/16
These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on the dates
indicated below, and should be interpreted accordingly. If any
answers have changed due to newer news, you are still expected to
give the answers that were correct on those dates.

Please post all your answers in a single followup to the newsgroup,
the correct answers in about 3 days.

All questions were written by members of the Bloor St. Irregulars,
and are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may
have been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information
see my recent companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

(Note: In this case one question actually became out of date due
to newer news some hours *before* it was used, but after the game
was printed. Give the answer as of when the wording the in question
was correct.)

* Game 7 (2016-07-04), Round 1 - Current Events

The current events theme this week will be major plot points
in the season finale of "Game of Thrones". --Kidding, kidding!
(Actually everyone except Jon Snow dies and the series has been
canceled, but let's not spoil it for the others, okay?)

1. Last week the Iraqi army completed taking back *which city*
from the so-called Islamic State?

2. Last week the US Supreme Court overturned restrictions on the
operation of abortion clinics in *which state*, a decision that
is likely to have implications in other parts of the country?

3. What form of pop-culture recognition will Justin Trudeau
receive this coming August 31? His father received a similar
honor in 1979.

4. "The Idea of North", an exhibit centered on works by painter
Lawren Harris, opened at the Art Gallery of Ontario on July 1.
Which polymath curated the show?

5. After BC farmer Avtar Hothi and his son came upon a woman in
distress in the North Thompson River last week, in what unusual
way did he pull her to safety?

6. In a shocker trade, the Montreal Canadiens last week sent
P.K. Subban to Nashville in exchange for a certain other
defenseman. In a shocker non-trade, a star NHL center and
potential free agent decided to stay put with his current team
in return for an 8-year, $68,000,000 deal. Name the player
traded from Nashville or the player who didn't move -- you
don't have to say which one it is.

7. In the UK, Boris Johnson decided not to run for Prime Minister
last week, apparently because an erstwhile Brexit ally withdrew
his support and announced a run for the job himself. Name this
treacherous rival.

8. Harold Peerenboom bought a Toronto house for $14,000,000
last week. Who is the seller?

9. Widespread use of undersea habitats hasn't happened yet, but
hey, personal computers and the Internet did. Who is the famed
futurist who predicted all these things and coined the phrase
"information overload", and who died last week at the age of 87?

10. Evidently, it was not a good week for 87-year-old Jewish
writers. This Nobel Peace Prize winner and author, whose
best-known book described his time in various concentration camps
as a teenager and his loss of faith in God, also died at age 87.
Name him.

* Game 8 (2016-07-11), Round 1 - Current Events

1. Name the NASA spacecraft that entered orbit around Jupiter one
week ago.

2. Two acclaimed film directors died last week. One, an American,
made one of the finest films of the 1970s, and died at age 77.
The other, an Iranian, made dozens of films and won the Palme
d'Or at Cannes in 1997. Name either.

3. Not for the first time in his life, a certain celebrity had to
have a tattoo adjusted after a relationship breakup. This time,
he had his ex's nickname, "SLIM", which was inked on the
fingers of his right hand, changed to "SCUM". Who is this
walking advertisement for Wite-Out, if not for class?

4. Last week the National Capital Commission had to apologize
for summarily shutting down a business operated by Ottawa
sisters Eliza and Adela Andrews. What kind of enterprise was it?

5. A controversial $100,000,000 theme park opened in Kentucky
last week. So what is the theme? Be sufficiently specific.

6. Please complete the previous round before decoding the rot13.
Tbir jvyy abg or thi. Anzr rvgure bs gur gjb erznvavat
pnaqvqngrf sbe Oevgvfu cevzr zvavfgre, nsgre ibgvat ol
Pbafreingvir ZCf ryvzvangrq gur bgure cergraqref.

7. And now, two prison sentences for the annals of sportsmen
behaving badly. In Spain, soccer star Lionel Messi ["Lee-oh-NEL
MESS-ee"] received a suspended sentence for tax fraud. In South
Africa, track star Oscar Pistorius was sentenced for the 2013
murder of his girlfriend. Tell us either Messi's sentence in
months, or Pistorius's sentence in years. Exact answer required,
and you must say who you're talking about.

8. We never even knew epiglottitis was a thing, much less dangerous,
but last week a comedian and actress revealed that she almost
died during a bout with the throat condition, requiring surgery
and a week in hospital. Name her.

9. Noel ["NO-elle"] Neill died last week at the age of 95.
What was *her* claim to fame?

10. What public health measure did the Toronto Board of Health
approve last Monday, though final go-ahead still has to be
given by City Council?

--
Mark Brader | "If there had been government -- and dare I say industrial?
Toronto | -- research establishments in the Stone Age, by now we
| would have invented steel." -- Arthur C. Clarke

Erland Sommarskog

Jul 12, 2016, 5:18:13 AM7/12/16
Mark Brader (m...@vex.net) writes:
> 1. Last week the Iraqi army completed taking back *which city*
> from the so-called Islamic State?

al-Falluja

> 2. Last week the US Supreme Court overturned restrictions on the
> operation of abortion clinics in *which state*, a decision that
> is likely to have implications in other parts of the country?

Texas

> 6. In a shocker trade, the Montreal Canadiens last week sent
> P.K. Subban to Nashville in exchange for a certain other
> defenseman. In a shocker non-trade, a star NHL center and
> potential free agent decided to stay put with his current team
> in return for an 8-year, $68,000,000 deal. Name the player
> traded from Nashville or the player who didn't move -- you
> don't have to say which one it is.

I saw a notice about Subban's move, but I don't recall the name of the
other guy. But at least Subban should be happy he was not traded to a
Swedish team. "Subban" in Swedish is a derogatory word used about
a woman you don't like.

> 7. In the UK, Boris Johnson decided not to run for Prime Minister
> last week, apparently because an erstwhile Brexit ally withdrew
> his support and announced a run for the job himself. Name this
> treacherous rival.

Michael Gove - who quickly was pushed out of the game himself.

> 10. Evidently, it was not a good week for 87-year-old Jewish
> writers. This Nobel Peace Prize winner and author, whose
> best-known book described his time in various concentration camps
> as a teenager and his loss of faith in God, also died at age 87.
> Name him.

Weisel

> * Game 8 (2016-07-11), Round 1 - Current Events
>
> 2. Two acclaimed film directors died last week. One, an American,
> made one of the finest films of the 1970s, and died at age 77.
> The other, an Iranian, made dozens of films and won the Palme
> d'Or at Cannes in 1997. Name either.

Khorosan

> 5. A controversial $100,000,000 theme park opened in Kentucky
> last week. So what is the theme? Be sufficiently specific.

A sort of giant replica of Noah's Ark.

> 6. Please complete the previous round before decoding the rot13.
> Tbir jvyy abg or thi. Anzr rvgure bs gur gjb erznvavat
> pnaqvqngrf sbe Oevgvfu cevzr zvavfgre, nsgre ibgvat ol
> Pbafreingvir ZCf ryvzvangrq gur bgure cergraqref.

Theresa May and Amanda Leadsom. Although now there is only Theresa May.

> 7. And now, two prison sentences for the annals of sportsmen
> behaving badly. In Spain, soccer star Lionel Messi ["Lee-oh-NEL
> MESS-ee"] received a suspended sentence for tax fraud. In South
> Africa, track star Oscar Pistorius was sentenced for the 2013
> murder of his girlfriend. Tell us either Messi's sentence in
> months, or Pistorius's sentence in years. Exact answer required,
> and you must say who you're talking about.

Messi got 21 months.

Joshua Kreitzer

Jul 12, 2016, 8:43:01 AM7/12/16
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:O-adnVT2SM6OLxnKnZ2dnUU7-
Y_N...@giganews.com:

> * Game 7 (2016-07-04), Round 1 - Current Events
>
> 1. Last week the Iraqi army completed taking back *which city*
> from the so-called Islamic State?

Fallujah

> 2. Last week the US Supreme Court overturned restrictions on the
> operation of abortion clinics in *which state*, a decision that
> is likely to have implications in other parts of the country?

Texas

> 4. "The Idea of North", an exhibit centered on works by painter
> Lawren Harris, opened at the Art Gallery of Ontario on July 1.
> Which polymath curated the show?

Kanye West (?)

> 7. In the UK, Boris Johnson decided not to run for Prime Minister
> last week, apparently because an erstwhile Brexit ally withdrew
> his support and announced a run for the job himself. Name this
> treacherous rival.

Gove (?)

> 9. Widespread use of undersea habitats hasn't happened yet, but
> hey, personal computers and the Internet did. Who is the famed
> futurist who predicted all these things and coined the phrase
> "information overload", and who died last week at the age of 87?

Toffler

> 10. Evidently, it was not a good week for 87-year-old Jewish
> writers. This Nobel Peace Prize winner and author, whose
> best-known book described his time in various concentration camps
> as a teenager and his loss of faith in God, also died at age 87.
> Name him.

Elie Wiesel

> * Game 8 (2016-07-11), Round 1 - Current Events
>
> 2. Two acclaimed film directors died last week. One, an American,
> made one of the finest films of the 1970s, and died at age 77.
> The other, an Iranian, made dozens of films and won the Palme
> d'Or at Cannes in 1997. Name either.

Michael Cimino

> 3. Not for the first time in his life, a certain celebrity had to
> have a tattoo adjusted after a relationship breakup. This time,
> he had his ex's nickname, "SLIM", which was inked on the
> fingers of his right hand, changed to "SCUM". Who is this
> walking advertisement for Wite-Out, if not for class?

Johnny Depp

> 4. Last week the National Capital Commission had to apologize
> for summarily shutting down a business operated by Ottawa
> sisters Eliza and Adela Andrews. What kind of enterprise was it?

lemonade stand

> 6. Please complete the previous round before decoding the rot13.
> Tbir jvyy abg or thi. Anzr rvgure bs gur gjb erznvavat
> pnaqvqngrf sbe Oevgvfu cevzr zvavfgre, nsgre ibgvat ol
> Pbafreingvir ZCf ryvzvangrq gur bgure cergraqref.

Theresa May

> 9. Noel ["NO-elle"] Neill died last week at the age of 95.
> What was *her* claim to fame?

playing Lois Lane

--
Joshua Kreitzer
grom...@hotmail.com

Dan Blum

Jul 12, 2016, 9:57:19 AM7/12/16
Mark Brader <m...@vex.net> wrote:

> * Game 7 (2016-07-04), Round 1 - Current Events

> 1. Last week the Iraqi army completed taking back *which city*
> from the so-called Islamic State?

Basra

> 2. Last week the US Supreme Court overturned restrictions on the
> operation of abortion clinics in *which state*, a decision that
> is likely to have implications in other parts of the country?

Texas

> 3. What form of pop-culture recognition will Justin Trudeau
> receive this coming August 31? His father received a similar
> honor in 1979.

wax figure at Madam Tussaud's

> 5. After BC farmer Avtar Hothi and his son came upon a woman in
> distress in the North Thompson River last week, in what unusual
> way did he pull her to safety?

with a tractor; with a horse

> 9. Widespread use of undersea habitats hasn't happened yet, but
> hey, personal computers and the Internet did. Who is the famed
> futurist who predicted all these things and coined the phrase
> "information overload", and who died last week at the age of 87?

Toffler

> 10. Evidently, it was not a good week for 87-year-old Jewish
> writers. This Nobel Peace Prize winner and author, whose
> best-known book described his time in various concentration camps
> as a teenager and his loss of faith in God, also died at age 87.
> Name him.

Elie Wiesel

> * Game 8 (2016-07-11), Round 1 - Current Events

> 1. Name the NASA spacecraft that entered orbit around Jupiter one
> week ago.

Juno

> 3. Not for the first time in his life, a certain celebrity had to
> have a tattoo adjusted after a relationship breakup. This time,
> he had his ex's nickname, "SLIM", which was inked on the
> fingers of his right hand, changed to "SCUM". Who is this
> walking advertisement for Wite-Out, if not for class?

Johnny Depp

> 5. A controversial $100,000,000 theme park opened in Kentucky
> last week. So what is the theme? Be sufficiently specific.

Noah's Ark

> 6. Please complete the previous round before decoding the rot13.
> Tbir jvyy abg or thi. Anzr rvgure bs gur gjb erznvavat
> pnaqvqngrf sbe Oevgvfu cevzr zvavfgre, nsgre ibgvat ol
> Pbafreingvir ZCf ryvzvangrq gur bgure cergraqref.

May

> 7. And now, two prison sentences for the annals of sportsmen
> behaving badly. In Spain, soccer star Lionel Messi ["Lee-oh-NEL
> MESS-ee"] received a suspended sentence for tax fraud. In South
> Africa, track star Oscar Pistorius was sentenced for the 2013
> murder of his girlfriend. Tell us either Messi's sentence in
> months, or Pistorius's sentence in years. Exact answer required,
> and you must say who you're talking about.

6 years (Pistorius)

> 9. Noel ["NO-elle"] Neill died last week at the age of 95.
> What was *her* claim to fame?

first actress to play Lois Lane

Dan Blum to...@panix.com

Marc Dashevsky

Jul 12, 2016, 10:18:01 AM7/12/16
In article <O-adnVT2SM6OLxnK...@giganews.com>, m...@vex.net says...
> * Game 7 (2016-07-04), Round 1 - Current Events
>
> The current events theme this week will be major plot points
> in the season finale of "Game of Thrones". --Kidding, kidding!
> (Actually everyone except Jon Snow dies and the series has been
> canceled, but let's not spoil it for the others, okay?)
>
> 1. Last week the Iraqi army completed taking back *which city*
> from the so-called Islamic State?
Falujah

> 2. Last week the US Supreme Court overturned restrictions on the
> operation of abortion clinics in *which state*, a decision that
> is likely to have implications in other parts of the country?
Texas
Alvin Toffler

> 10. Evidently, it was not a good week for 87-year-old Jewish
> writers. This Nobel Peace Prize winner and author, whose
> best-known book described his time in various concentration camps
> as a teenager and his loss of faith in God, also died at age 87.
> Name him.
Elie Wiesel

> * Game 8 (2016-07-11), Round 1 - Current Events
>
> 1. Name the NASA spacecraft that entered orbit around Jupiter one
> week ago.
Juno

> 2. Two acclaimed film directors died last week. One, an American,
> made one of the finest films of the 1970s, and died at age 77.
> The other, an Iranian, made dozens of films and won the Palme
> d'Or at Cannes in 1997. Name either.
Michael Cimino

> 3. Not for the first time in his life, a certain celebrity had to
> have a tattoo adjusted after a relationship breakup. This time,
> he had his ex's nickname, "SLIM", which was inked on the
> fingers of his right hand, changed to "SCUM". Who is this
> walking advertisement for Wite-Out, if not for class?
>
> 4. Last week the National Capital Commission had to apologize
> for summarily shutting down a business operated by Ottawa
> sisters Eliza and Adela Andrews. What kind of enterprise was it?
>
> 5. A controversial $100,000,000 theme park opened in Kentucky
> last week. So what is the theme? Be sufficiently specific.
Noah's Ark

> 6. Please complete the previous round before decoding the rot13.
> Tbir jvyy abg or thi. Anzr rvgure bs gur gjb erznvavat
> pnaqvqngrf sbe Oevgvfu cevzr zvavfgre, nsgre ibgvat ol
> Pbafreingvir ZCf ryvzvangrq gur bgure cergraqref.
>
> 7. And now, two prison sentences for the annals of sportsmen
> behaving badly. In Spain, soccer star Lionel Messi ["Lee-oh-NEL
> MESS-ee"] received a suspended sentence for tax fraud. In South
> Africa, track star Oscar Pistorius was sentenced for the 2013
> murder of his girlfriend. Tell us either Messi's sentence in
> months, or Pistorius's sentence in years. Exact answer required,
> and you must say who you're talking about.
5 (Pistorius)

> 8. We never even knew epiglottitis was a thing, much less dangerous,
> but last week a comedian and actress revealed that she almost
> died during a bout with the throat condition, requiring surgery
> and a week in hospital. Name her.
Sarah Silverman

> 9. Noel ["NO-elle"] Neill died last week at the age of 95.
> What was *her* claim to fame?
Lois Lane on Superman TV show

> 10. What public health measure did the Toronto Board of Health
> approve last Monday, though final go-ahead still has to be
> given by City Council?

Peter Smyth

Jul 12, 2016, 1:38:22 PM7/12/16
Mark Brader wrote:

> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on the dates
> indicated below, and should be interpreted accordingly. If any
> answers have changed due to newer news, you are still expected to
> give the answers that were correct on those dates.

> Please post all your answers in a single followup to the newsgroup,
> the correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of the Bloor St. Irregulars,
> and are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may
> have been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information
> see my recent companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>

> (Note: In this case one question actually became out of date due
> to newer news some hours before it was used, but after the game
> was printed. Give the answer as of when the wording the in question
> was correct.)
>

> * Game 7 (2016-07-04), Round 1 - Current Events
>
> The current events theme this week will be major plot points
> in the season finale of "Game of Thrones". --Kidding, kidding!
> (Actually everyone except Jon Snow dies and the series has been
> canceled, but let's not spoil it for the others, okay?)
>
> 1. Last week the Iraqi army completed taking back *which city*
> from the so-called Islamic State?
Basra
> 2. Last week the US Supreme Court overturned restrictions on the
> operation of abortion clinics in *which state*, a decision that
> is likely to have implications in other parts of the country?
Texas
> 3. What form of pop-culture recognition will Justin Trudeau
> receive this coming August 31? His father received a similar
> honor in 1979.
>
> 4. "The Idea of North", an exhibit centered on works by painter
> Lawren Harris, opened at the Art Gallery of Ontario on July 1.
> Which polymath curated the show?
>
> 5. After BC farmer Avtar Hothi and his son came upon a woman in
> distress in the North Thompson River last week, in what unusual
> way did he pull her to safety?
>
> 6. In a shocker trade, the Montreal Canadiens last week sent
> P.K. Subban to Nashville in exchange for a certain other
> defenseman. In a shocker non-trade, a star NHL center and
> potential free agent decided to stay put with his current team
> in return for an 8-year, $68,000,000 deal. Name the player
> traded from Nashville or the player who didn't move -- you
> don't have to say which one it is.
>
> 7. In the UK, Boris Johnson decided not to run for Prime Minister
> last week, apparently because an erstwhile Brexit ally withdrew
> his support and announced a run for the job himself. Name this
> treacherous rival.
Michael Gove
> 8. Harold Peerenboom bought a Toronto house for $14,000,000
> last week. Who is the seller?
>
> 9. Widespread use of undersea habitats hasn't happened yet, but
> hey, personal computers and the Internet did. Who is the famed
> futurist who predicted all these things and coined the phrase
> "information overload", and who died last week at the age of 87?
>
> 10. Evidently, it was not a good week for 87-year-old Jewish
> writers. This Nobel Peace Prize winner and author, whose
> best-known book described his time in various concentration camps
> as a teenager and his loss of faith in God, also died at age 87.
> Name him.
>

> * Game 8 (2016-07-11), Round 1 - Current Events
>
> 1. Name the NASA spacecraft that entered orbit around Jupiter one
> week ago.
Juno
> 2. Two acclaimed film directors died last week. One, an American,
> made one of the finest films of the 1970s, and died at age 77.
> The other, an Iranian, made dozens of films and won the Palme
> d'Or at Cannes in 1997. Name either.
Francis Ford Coppola
> 3. Not for the first time in his life, a certain celebrity had to
> have a tattoo adjusted after a relationship breakup. This time,
> he had his ex's nickname, "SLIM", which was inked on the
> fingers of his right hand, changed to "SCUM". Who is this
> walking advertisement for Wite-Out, if not for class?
Johnny Depp
> 4. Last week the National Capital Commission had to apologize
> for summarily shutting down a business operated by Ottawa
> sisters Eliza and Adela Andrews. What kind of enterprise was it?
>
> 5. A controversial $100,000,000 theme park opened in Kentucky
> last week. So what is the theme? Be sufficiently specific.
Noah's Ark
> 6. Please complete the previous round before decoding the rot13.
> Gove will not be guv. Name either of the two remaining
> candidates for British prime minister, after voting by
> Conservative MPs eliminated the other pretenders.
Theresa May
> 7. And now, two prison sentences for the annals of sportsmen
> behaving badly. In Spain, soccer star Lionel Messi ["Lee-oh-NEL
> MESS-ee"] received a suspended sentence for tax fraud. In South
> Africa, track star Oscar Pistorius was sentenced for the 2013
> murder of his girlfriend. Tell us either Messi's sentence in
> months, or Pistorius's sentence in years. Exact answer required,
> and you must say who you're talking about.
6 years (Pistorius)
> 8. We never even knew epiglottitis was a thing, much less dangerous,
> but last week a comedian and actress revealed that she almost
> died during a bout with the throat condition, requiring surgery
> and a week in hospital. Name her.
>
> 9. Noel ["NO-elle"] Neill died last week at the age of 95.
> What was her claim to fame?
>
> 10. What public health measure did the Toronto Board of Health
> approve last Monday, though final go-ahead still has to be
> given by City Council?
Ban on smoking in public places

Peter Smyth

Dan Tilque

Jul 13, 2016, 4:12:15 AM7/13/16
Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 7 (2016-07-04), Round 1 - Current Events
>
> The current events theme this week will be major plot points
> in the season finale of "Game of Thrones". --Kidding, kidding!
> (Actually everyone except Jon Snow dies and the series has been
> canceled, but let's not spoil it for the others, okay?)
>
> 1. Last week the Iraqi army completed taking back *which city*
> from the so-called Islamic State?

Fallujah

> 2. Last week the US Supreme Court overturned restrictions on the
> operation of abortion clinics in *which state*, a decision that
> is likely to have implications in other parts of the country?

Mississippi

> 3. What form of pop-culture recognition will Justin Trudeau
> receive this coming August 31? His father received a similar
> honor in 1979.
>
> 4. "The Idea of North", an exhibit centered on works by painter
> Lawren Harris, opened at the Art Gallery of Ontario on July 1.
> Which polymath curated the show?
>
> 5. After BC farmer Avtar Hothi and his son came upon a woman in
> distress in the North Thompson River last week, in what unusual
> way did he pull her to safety?
>
> 6. In a shocker trade, the Montreal Canadiens last week sent
> P.K. Subban to Nashville in exchange for a certain other
> defenseman. In a shocker non-trade, a star NHL center and
> potential free agent decided to stay put with his current team
> in return for an 8-year, $68,000,000 deal. Name the player
> traded from Nashville or the player who didn't move -- you
> don't have to say which one it is.
>
> 7. In the UK, Boris Johnson decided not to run for Prime Minister
> last week, apparently because an erstwhile Brexit ally withdrew
> his support and announced a run for the job himself. Name this
> treacherous rival.

Gove

> 8. Harold Peerenboom bought a Toronto house for $14,000,000
> last week. Who is the seller?
>
> 9. Widespread use of undersea habitats hasn't happened yet, but
> hey, personal computers and the Internet did. Who is the famed
> futurist who predicted all these things and coined the phrase
> "information overload", and who died last week at the age of 87?
>
> 10. Evidently, it was not a good week for 87-year-old Jewish
> writers. This Nobel Peace Prize winner and author, whose
> best-known book described his time in various concentration camps
> as a teenager and his loss of faith in God, also died at age 87.
> Name him.
>

> * Game 8 (2016-07-11), Round 1 - Current Events
>
> 1. Name the NASA spacecraft that entered orbit around Jupiter one
> week ago.

Juno

> 2. Two acclaimed film directors died last week. One, an American,
> made one of the finest films of the 1970s, and died at age 77.
> The other, an Iranian, made dozens of films and won the Palme
> d'Or at Cannes in 1997. Name either.
>
> 3. Not for the first time in his life, a certain celebrity had to
> have a tattoo adjusted after a relationship breakup. This time,
> he had his ex's nickname, "SLIM", which was inked on the
> fingers of his right hand, changed to "SCUM". Who is this
> walking advertisement for Wite-Out, if not for class?
>
> 4. Last week the National Capital Commission had to apologize
> for summarily shutting down a business operated by Ottawa
> sisters Eliza and Adela Andrews. What kind of enterprise was it?

lemonade stand

> 5. A controversial $100,000,000 theme park opened in Kentucky
> last week. So what is the theme? Be sufficiently specific.

Noah's Ark with animatronic animals

> 6. Please complete the previous round before decoding the rot13.
> Tbir jvyy abg or thi. Anzr rvgure bs gur gjb erznvavat
> pnaqvqngrf sbe Oevgvfu cevzr zvavfgre, nsgre ibgvat ol
> Pbafreingvir ZCf ryvzvangrq gur bgure cergraqref.

Theresa May

> 7. And now, two prison sentences for the annals of sportsmen
> behaving badly. In Spain, soccer star Lionel Messi ["Lee-oh-NEL
> MESS-ee"] received a suspended sentence for tax fraud. In South
> Africa, track star Oscar Pistorius was sentenced for the 2013
> murder of his girlfriend. Tell us either Messi's sentence in
> months, or Pistorius's sentence in years. Exact answer required,
> and you must say who you're talking about.

Pistorius, 6 years

--
Dan Tilque

Pete

Jul 13, 2016, 4:41:33 PM7/13/16
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:O-adnVT2SM6OLxnKnZ2dnUU7-
Y_N...@giganews.com:

Fallujah

> 2. Last week the US Supreme Court overturned restrictions on the
> operation of abortion clinics in *which state*, a decision that
> is likely to have implications in other parts of the country?

Texas
Toffler

> 10. Evidently, it was not a good week for 87-year-old Jewish
> writers. This Nobel Peace Prize winner and author, whose
> best-known book described his time in various concentration camps
> as a teenager and his loss of faith in God, also died at age 87.
> Name him.

Elie Wiesel

> * Game 8 (2016-07-11), Round 1 - Current Events
>
> 1. Name the NASA spacecraft that entered orbit around Jupiter one
> week ago.

Juno

> 2. Two acclaimed film directors died last week. One, an American,
> made one of the finest films of the 1970s, and died at age 77.
> The other, an Iranian, made dozens of films and won the Palme
> d'Or at Cannes in 1997. Name either.

Cimino

> 3. Not for the first time in his life, a certain celebrity had to
> have a tattoo adjusted after a relationship breakup. This time,
> he had his ex's nickname, "SLIM", which was inked on the
> fingers of his right hand, changed to "SCUM". Who is this
> walking advertisement for Wite-Out, if not for class?
>
> 4. Last week the National Capital Commission had to apologize
> for summarily shutting down a business operated by Ottawa
> sisters Eliza and Adela Andrews. What kind of enterprise was it?
>
> 5. A controversial $100,000,000 theme park opened in Kentucky
> last week. So what is the theme? Be sufficiently specific.

Noah's Ark replica

> 6. Please complete the previous round before decoding the rot13.
> Tbir jvyy abg or thi. Anzr rvgure bs gur gjb erznvavat
> pnaqvqngrf sbe Oevgvfu cevzr zvavfgre, nsgre ibgvat ol
> Pbafreingvir ZCf ryvzvangrq gur bgure cergraqref.

May

> 7. And now, two prison sentences for the annals of sportsmen
> behaving badly. In Spain, soccer star Lionel Messi ["Lee-oh-NEL
> MESS-ee"] received a suspended sentence for tax fraud. In South
> Africa, track star Oscar Pistorius was sentenced for the 2013
> murder of his girlfriend. Tell us either Messi's sentence in
> months, or Pistorius's sentence in years. Exact answer required,
> and you must say who you're talking about.

Pistorius received 5 years

> 8. We never even knew epiglottitis was a thing, much less dangerous,
> but last week a comedian and actress revealed that she almost
> died during a bout with the throat condition, requiring surgery
> and a week in hospital. Name her.

Sarah Silverman

> 9. Noel ["NO-elle"] Neill died last week at the age of 95.
> What was *her* claim to fame?

Played "Lois Lane"

> 10. What public health measure did the Toronto Board of Health
> approve last Monday, though final go-ahead still has to be
> given by City Council?

Pete Gayde

Jason Kreitzer

Jul 13, 2016, 9:34:39 PM7/13/16
Texas
Elie Weizel

> * Game 8 (2016-07-11), Round 1 - Current Events
>
> 1. Name the NASA spacecraft that entered orbit around Jupiter one
> week ago.
>
> 2. Two acclaimed film directors died last week. One, an American,
> made one of the finest films of the 1970s, and died at age 77.
> The other, an Iranian, made dozens of films and won the Palme
> d'Or at Cannes in 1997. Name either.
>
> 3. Not for the first time in his life, a certain celebrity had to
> have a tattoo adjusted after a relationship breakup. This time,
> he had his ex's nickname, "SLIM", which was inked on the
> fingers of his right hand, changed to "SCUM". Who is this
> walking advertisement for Wite-Out, if not for class?
Johnny Depp

Mark Brader

Jul 15, 2016, 3:39:09 AM7/15/16
Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on the dates
> indicated below, and should be interpreted accordingly. If any
> answers have changed due to newer news, you are still expected to
> give the answers that were correct on those dates... For further
> information see my recent companion posting on "Questions from
> the Canadian Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

Note: Due to travel, I plan to post the Current Events round for
Game 9 next week by itself instead of waiting for Game 10 so I can
post them as a pair as usual, and then I won't score it until after
I get back.

> * Game 7 (2016-07-04), Round 1 - Current Events

> The current events theme this week will be major plot points
> in the season finale of "Game of Thrones". --Kidding, kidding!
> (Actually everyone except Jon Snow dies and the series has been
> canceled, but let's not spoil it for the others, okay?)

> 1. Last week the Iraqi army completed taking back *which city*
> from the so-called Islamic State?

Fallujah. 4 for Erland, Joshua, Marc, Dan Tilque, and Pete.

> 2. Last week the US Supreme Court overturned restrictions on the
> operation of abortion clinics in *which state*, a decision that
> is likely to have implications in other parts of the country?

Texas. 4 for Erland, Joshua, Dan Blum, Marc, Peter, Pete, and Jason.

> 3. What form of pop-culture recognition will Justin Trudeau
> receive this coming August 31? His father received a similar
> honor in 1979.

He will appear on a variant Marvel comic cover ("Civil War II:
Choosing Sides").

> 4. "The Idea of North", an exhibit centered on works by painter
> Lawren Harris, opened at the Art Gallery of Ontario on July 1.
> Which polymath curated the show?

Steve Martin.

> 5. After BC farmer Avtar Hothi and his son came upon a woman in
> distress in the North Thompson River last week, in what unusual
> way did he pull her to safety?

He unwound his turban and used it as a rope. (He's a Sikh. They
aren't allowed to expose their hair in public unless it's a matter
of life and death. You'd think this wouldn't occur all that often.)

> 6. In a shocker trade, the Montreal Canadiens last week sent
> P.K. Subban to Nashville in exchange for a certain other
> defenseman. In a shocker non-trade, a star NHL center and
> potential free agent decided to stay put with his current team
> in return for an 8-year, $68,000,000 deal. Name the player
> traded from Nashville or the player who didn't move -- you
> don't have to say which one it is.

Shea Webber, Steven Stamkos.

> 7. In the UK, Boris Johnson decided not to run for Prime Minister
> last week, apparently because an erstwhile Brexit ally withdrew
> his support and announced a run for the job himself. Name this
> treacherous rival.

Michael Gove. 4 for Erland, Joshua, Peter, and Dan Tilque.

> 8. Harold Peerenboom bought a Toronto house for $14,000,000
> last week. Who is the seller?

Conrad Black.

> 9. Widespread use of undersea habitats hasn't happened yet, but
> hey, personal computers and the Internet did. Who is the famed
> futurist who predicted all these things and coined the phrase
> "information overload", and who died last week at the age of 87?

Alvin Toffler. 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, Marc, and Pete.

> 10. Evidently, it was not a good week for 87-year-old Jewish
> writers. This Nobel Peace Prize winner and author, whose
> best-known book described his time in various concentration camps
> as a teenager and his loss of faith in God, also died at age 87.
> Name him.

Elie Wiesel. 4 for Erland, Joshua, Dan Blum, Marc, Pete, and Jason.

> * Game 8 (2016-07-11), Round 1 - Current Events

> 1. Name the NASA spacecraft that entered orbit around Jupiter one
> week ago.

Juno. 4 for Dan Blum, Marc, Peter, Dan Tilque, and Pete.

> 2. Two acclaimed film directors died last week. One, an American,
> made one of the finest films of the 1970s, and died at age 77.
> The other, an Iranian, made dozens of films and won the Palme
> d'Or at Cannes in 1997. Name either.

Michael Cimino, Abbas Kiarostami. 4 for Joshua, Marc, and Pete.

> 3. Not for the first time in his life, a certain celebrity had to
> have a tattoo adjusted after a relationship breakup. This time,
> he had his ex's nickname, "SLIM", which was inked on the
> fingers of his right hand, changed to "SCUM". Who is this
> walking advertisement for Wite-Out, if not for class?

Johnny Depp. 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, Peter, and Jason.

> 4. Last week the National Capital Commission had to apologize
> for summarily shutting down a business operated by Ottawa
> sisters Eliza and Adela Andrews. What kind of enterprise was it?

A lemonade stand. (Eliza is 7 and Adela is 5.) 4 for Joshua
and Dan Tilque.

> 5. A controversial $100,000,000 theme park opened in Kentucky
> last week. So what is the theme? Be sufficiently specific.

Noah's Ark. 4 for Erland, Dan Blum, Marc, Peter, Dan Tilque,
and Pete.

> 6. Please complete the previous round before decoding the rot13.
> Gove will not be guv. Name either of the two remaining
> candidates for British prime minister, after voting by
> Conservative MPs eliminated the other pretenders.

Theresa May, Andrea Leadsom ["LED-s'm"]. 4 for Erland, Joshua,
Dan Blum, Peter, Dan Tilque, and Pete.

Leadsom had already withdrawn by the time this game was played,
and May is now PM.

> 7. And now, two prison sentences for the annals of sportsmen
> behaving badly. In Spain, soccer star Lionel Messi ["Lee-oh-NEL
> MESS-ee"] received a suspended sentence for tax fraud. In South
> Africa, track star Oscar Pistorius was sentenced for the 2013
> murder of his girlfriend. Tell us either Messi's sentence in
> months, or Pistorius's sentence in years. Exact answer required,
> and you must say who you're talking about.

Messi: 21 months. Pistorius: 6 years. 4 for Erland, Dan Blum,
Peter, and Dan Tilque.

> 8. We never even knew epiglottitis was a thing, much less dangerous,
> but last week a comedian and actress revealed that she almost
> died during a bout with the throat condition, requiring surgery
> and a week in hospital. Name her.

Sarah Silverman. 4 for Marc and Pete.

> 9. Noel ["NO-elle"] Neill died last week at the age of 95.
> What was *her* claim to fame?

First actress to play Lois Lane. Any reference to playing Lane --
or to being a pin-up poster model -- was sufficient. 4 for Joshua,
Dan Blum, Marc, and Pete.

> 10. What public health measure did the Toronto Board of Health
> approve last Monday, though final go-ahead still has to be
> given by City Council?

Supervised drug injection sites.

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAMES-> 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 BEST SIX
Pete Gayde 16 14 15 4 24 12 16 24 109
Joshua Kreitzer 16 8 12 4 20 16 20 20 104
Dan Blum 16 23 11 0 -- -- 12 24 86
Erland Sommarskog 4 8 20 0 16 8 16 12 80
Peter Smyth 12 4 12 4 23 0 8 20 79
Dan Tilque 12 12 16 0 8 4 8 20 76
Marc Dashevsky 8 12 -- -- -- -- 16 20 56
Bruce Bowler -- -- 12 0 20 16 -- -- 48
Jason Kreitzer 12 8 -- -- -- -- 8 4 32

--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "Could you guys please stop agreeing?
m...@vex.net | It's wearing me out." --Bob Lieblich

Mark Brader

Jul 20, 2016, 2:53:53 AM7/20/16
Mark Brader:
> All questions were written by members of the Bloor St. Irregulars,
> and are used here by permission...

That's wrong! This is *our* season. All questions were written
by members of the Usual Suspects. Sorry about that.
--
Mark Brader "Eventually, of course, I fell into the trap of
Toronto becoming comfortable with find(1)'s syntax..."