QFTCIRS Game 1, Rounds 9-10: tennis, challenge

Mark Brader

Oct 25, 2019, 3:00:34 AM10/25/19
These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2019-09-16,
and should be interpreted accordingly.

Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
the correct answers in about 3 days.

All questions were written by members of the Red Smarties and are
used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have
been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information see
my 2019-10-16 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

** Game 1, Round 9 - Sports - Tennis

Given Bianca's success, you may be planning to watch the upcoming
WTA championships. Here are 10 questions as a primer about
the game.

1. Tennis is played on a rectangular court. Within 10% of the
correct answer, How long is a regulation court?

2. And, again within 10%, how wide is it? You may answer for
either singles or doubles, but must specify which question you
are answering.

3. For a service to be legal, the ball must travel over the net
without touching it into the diagonally opposite service box.
What is it called if the ball touches the net but lands in the
correct service box, forcing the person serving to re-serve?

4. What is a service called that travels over the net without
touching it, lands in the diagonally opposite service box,
and is not returned by the opponent?

5. In tennis scoring, what is the official term for a score of 0?

6. In tennis scoring, what official term is used if the score is
tied at 40-40?

7. Which term refers to *any* situation where the player who is
leading needs only one more point to win the game?

8. If the leading player is at <answer 7> and is *not* the player
who is serving, what other team also describes this situation?

9. Name any Grand Slam tennis tournament played on grass.

10. Name any Grand Slam tennis tournament played on clay.

** Game 1, Round 10 - Canadiana Challenge Round - Newfoundland

* A. History

A1. There is only one place in what is now Canada where ships
were sunk by German submarines in World War II, which is
in the waters just off this small island which in turn is
just off the island of Newfoundland. Name this small island.

A2. In Newfoundland and Labrador, July 1 is also Memorial Day,
to recall the loss of approximately 700 soldiers from the
1st Newfoundland Regiment on July 1, 1916. In what battle
were they lost?

* B. Geography

B1. What is the name of the mountain range that runs through
the western third of the island of Newfoundland, and is
part of the Appalachian system.

B2. Name the strait separating the island of Newfoundland
from Labrador.

* C. Authors

C1. This playwright is a member of the Order of Canada.
His best-known play is arguably "Salt-Water Moon". Name him.

C2. This multi-talented Newfoundlander's first memoir was "By the
Way" and his next was "Next", published 20 years later
in 2012. Name him.

* D. Great Big Sea (the band)

D1. Which member's departure in 2013 at the end of the XX tour
was the beginning of the end for the band?

D2. Name the band's first or their last album. You must specify
which question you are answering.

* E. St. John's

E1. This street is famous for its restaurants, pubs and bars,
and is the center of St. John's nightlife with its own
festival every year. Name it.

E2. This St. John's location is home to the Cabot tower, built
to commemorate the 400th anniversary of John Cabot's
discovery of Newfoundland. Name it.

* F. Science

F1. What type of whale is most commonly found in Newfoundland
waters?

F2. This animal is not native to the island of Newfoundland,
but is now found there as a result of the importation of
breeding pairs. It now is a major problem both as a result
of its negative impact on the environment and collisions
with vehicles of all sizes. Name it.

After completing the round, please decode the rot13: Gjb qvssrerag
navznyf ner pnyyrq gur ryx va qvssrerag pbhagevrf. Sbeghangryl,
gurl obgu unir bgure anzrf. Vs lbh nafjrerq "ryx" sbe gur ynfg
dhrfgvba, cyrnfr tb onpx naq fhofgvghgr "jncvgv" vs lbh zrnag gur
fcrpvrf Preihf pnanqrafvf nf va Abegu Nzrevpna hfntr, be "zbbfr"
vs lbh zrnag gur fcrpvrf "Nyprf nyprf" nf va Oevgvfu hfntr.

--
Mark Brader | It's practically impossible to keep two separate databases
Toronto | in step for any length of time. That's true even when one

Dan Blum

Oct 25, 2019, 8:38:58 AM10/25/19
Mark Brader <m...@vex.net> wrote:

> ** Game 1, Round 9 - Sports - Tennis

> 1. Tennis is played on a rectangular court. Within 10% of the
> correct answer, How long is a regulation court?

100 feet

> 2. And, again within 10%, how wide is it? You may answer for
> either singles or doubles, but must specify which question you
> are answering.

singles - 45 feet

> 3. For a service to be legal, the ball must travel over the net
> without touching it into the diagonally opposite service box.
> What is it called if the ball touches the net but lands in the
> correct service box, forcing the person serving to re-serve?

let

> 4. What is a service called that travels over the net without
> touching it, lands in the diagonally opposite service box,
> and is not returned by the opponent?

ace

> 5. In tennis scoring, what is the official term for a score of 0?

love

> 6. In tennis scoring, what official term is used if the score is
> tied at 40-40?

40 all

> 9. Name any Grand Slam tennis tournament played on grass.

Wimbledon

> 10. Name any Grand Slam tennis tournament played on clay.

Australian Open; French Open

> ** Game 1, Round 10 - Canadiana Challenge Round - Newfoundland

> * A. History

> A2. In Newfoundland and Labrador, July 1 is also Memorial Day,
> to recall the loss of approximately 700 soldiers from the
> 1st Newfoundland Regiment on July 1, 1916. In what battle
> were they lost?

Somme

> * F. Science

> F1. What type of whale is most commonly found in Newfoundland
> waters?

grey whale

> F2. This animal is not native to the island of Newfoundland,
> but is now found there as a result of the importation of
> breeding pairs. It now is a major problem both as a result
> of its negative impact on the environment and collisions
> with vehicles of all sizes. Name it.

beaver

Dan Blum to...@panix.com

Erland Sommarskog

Oct 25, 2019, 9:24:43 AM10/25/19
Mark Brader (m...@vex.net) writes:
> ** Game 1, Round 9 - Sports - Tennis
>
> Given Bianca's success, you may be planning to watch the upcoming
> WTA championships. Here are 10 questions as a primer about
> the game.
>
> 1. Tennis is played on a rectangular court. Within 10% of the
> correct answer, How long is a regulation court?

25 m

> 2. And, again within 10%, how wide is it? You may answer for
> either singles or doubles, but must specify which question you
> are answering.

10 m for doubles

> 3. For a service to be legal, the ball must travel over the net
> without touching it into the diagonally opposite service box.
> What is it called if the ball touches the net but lands in the
> correct service box, forcing the person serving to re-serve?

Net(ball)

> 4. What is a service called that travels over the net without
> touching it, lands in the diagonally opposite service box,
> and is not returned by the opponent?

Ace

> 5. In tennis scoring, what is the official term for a score of 0?

Love

> 6. In tennis scoring, what official term is used if the score is
> tied at 40-40?

Deuce

> 7. Which term refers to *any* situation where the player who is
> leading needs only one more point to win the game?

Game ball

> 8. If the leading player is at <answer 7> and is *not* the player
> who is serving, what other team also describes this situation?

Break ball

> 9. Name any Grand Slam tennis tournament played on grass.

Wimbledon

> 10. Name any Grand Slam tennis tournament played on clay.

French Open

Calvin

Oct 25, 2019, 6:17:56 PM10/25/19
On Friday, October 25, 2019 at 5:00:34 PM UTC+10, Mark Brader wrote:

> ** Game 1, Round 9 - Sports - Tennis
>
> Given Bianca's success, you may be planning to watch the upcoming
> WTA championships. Here are 10 questions as a primer about
> the game.
>
> 1. Tennis is played on a rectangular court. Within 10% of the
> correct answer, How long is a regulation court?

24 metres

> 2. And, again within 10%, how wide is it? You may answer for
> either singles or doubles, but must specify which question you
> are answering.

Singles 12 metres

> 3. For a service to be legal, the ball must travel over the net
> without touching it into the diagonally opposite service box.
> What is it called if the ball touches the net but lands in the
> correct service box, forcing the person serving to re-serve?

Let

> 4. What is a service called that travels over the net without
> touching it, lands in the diagonally opposite service box,
> and is not returned by the opponent?

Ace

> 5. In tennis scoring, what is the official term for a score of 0?

Love

> 6. In tennis scoring, what official term is used if the score is
> tied at 40-40?

Deuce

> 7. Which term refers to *any* situation where the player who is
> leading needs only one more point to win the game?

Game point

> 8. If the leading player is at <answer 7> and is *not* the player
> who is serving, what other team also describes this situation?

Break point

> 9. Name any Grand Slam tennis tournament played on grass.

Wimbledon

> 10. Name any Grand Slam tennis tournament played on clay.

French Open

> ** Game 1, Round 10 - Canadiana Challenge Round - Newfoundland

Pass

cheers,
calvin

Joshua Kreitzer

Oct 25, 2019, 9:48:55 PM10/25/19
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:cvqdnTWoYtIRAC_AnZ2dnUU7-
TXN...@giganews.com:

> ** Game 1, Round 9 - Sports - Tennis
>
> 1. Tennis is played on a rectangular court. Within 10% of the
> correct answer, How long is a regulation court?

40 feet

> 2. And, again within 10%, how wide is it? You may answer for
> either singles or doubles, but must specify which question you
> are answering.

25 feet (singles)

> 3. For a service to be legal, the ball must travel over the net
> without touching it into the diagonally opposite service box.
> What is it called if the ball touches the net but lands in the
> correct service box, forcing the person serving to re-serve?

let

> 4. What is a service called that travels over the net without
> touching it, lands in the diagonally opposite service box,
> and is not returned by the opponent?

ace

> 5. In tennis scoring, what is the official term for a score of 0?

love

> 6. In tennis scoring, what official term is used if the score is
> tied at 40-40?

deuce

> 7. Which term refers to *any* situation where the player who is
> leading needs only one more point to win the game?

game point

> 8. If the leading player is at <answer 7> and is *not* the player
> who is serving, what other team also describes this situation?

break point

> 9. Name any Grand Slam tennis tournament played on grass.

Wimbledon

> 10. Name any Grand Slam tennis tournament played on clay.

French Open

> ** Game 1, Round 10 - Canadiana Challenge Round - Newfoundland
>
> * A. History
>
> A2. In Newfoundland and Labrador, July 1 is also Memorial Day,
> to recall the loss of approximately 700 soldiers from the
> 1st Newfoundland Regiment on July 1, 1916. In what battle
> were they lost?

Vimy

> * B. Geography
>
> B1. What is the name of the mountain range that runs through
> the western third of the island of Newfoundland, and is
> part of the Appalachian system.

Laurentians

--
Joshua Kreitzer
grom...@hotmail.com

Mark Brader

Oct 28, 2019, 3:00:08 AM10/28/19
Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2019-09-16,
> see my 2019-10-16 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

Well, Game 1 is over and it's a big win for JOSHUA KREITZER.
Hearty congratulations!

> ** Game 1, Round 9 - Sports - Tennis

> Given Bianca's success, you may be planning to watch the upcoming
> WTA championships. Here are 10 questions as a primer about
> the game.

This was the easiest round in the original game -- even though the
first two questions as originally asked did not allow any leeway.

> 1. Tennis is played on a rectangular court. Within 10% of the
> correct answer, How long is a regulation court?

78 feet (accepting 70.2-85.8) or 23.77 m (accepting 21.39-26.15).
4 for Erland and Calvin.

> 2. And, again within 10%, how wide is it? You may answer for
> either singles or doubles, but must specify which question you
> are answering.

Singles: 27 feet (accepting 23.4-28.6) or 8.23 m (accepting
7.40-9.05). Doubles: 36 feet (accepting 32.4-39.6) or 10.97 m
(accepting 9.87-12.06). 4 for Erland and Joshua.

> 3. For a service to be legal, the ball must travel over the net
> without touching it into the diagonally opposite service box.
> What is it called if the ball touches the net but lands in the
> correct service box, forcing the person serving to re-serve?

Let or net ball. 4 for everyone -- Dan, Erland, Calvin, and Joshua.

> 4. What is a service called that travels over the net without
> touching it, lands in the diagonally opposite service box,
> and is not returned by the opponent?

An ace. 4 for everyone.

> 5. In tennis scoring, what is the official term for a score of 0?

Love. 4 for everyone.

> 6. In tennis scoring, what official term is used if the score is
> tied at 40-40?

Deuce. 4 for Erland, Calvin, and Joshua.

> 7. Which term refers to *any* situation where the player who is
> leading needs only one more point to win the game?

Game point. (Not "advantage", which only applies when, if the other
player scored, the score would be deuce.) 4 for Calvin and Joshua.

> 8. If the leading player is at <answer 7> and is *not* the player
> who is serving, what other team also describes this situation?

Break point. 4 for Calvin and Joshua.

> 9. Name any Grand Slam tennis tournament played on grass.

Wimbledon. 4 for everyone.

> 10. Name any Grand Slam tennis tournament played on clay.

French Open. 4 for Erland, Calvin, and Joshua. 2 for Dan.

The other Grand Slam tournaments are the US and Australian Opens,
both of which are played on hard courts.

> ** Game 1, Round 10 - Canadiana Challenge Round - Newfoundland

> * A. History

> A1. There is only one place in what is now Canada where ships
> were sunk by German submarines in World War II, which is
> in the waters just off this small island which in turn is
> just off the island of Newfoundland. Name this small island.

Bell I.

> A2. In Newfoundland and Labrador, July 1 is also Memorial Day,
> to recall the loss of approximately 700 soldiers from the
> 1st Newfoundland Regiment on July 1, 1916. In what battle
> were they lost?

Somme (or more specifically Beaumont-Hamel). 4 for Dan -- making
the round count for everyone.

> * B. Geography

> B1. What is the name of the mountain range that runs through
> the western third of the island of Newfoundland, and is
> part of the Appalachian system.

Long Range.

> B2. Name the strait separating the island of Newfoundland
> from Labrador.

Strait of Belle Isle.

> * C. Authors

> C1. This playwright is a member of the Order of Canada.
> His best-known play is arguably "Salt-Water Moon". Name him.

David French.

> C2. This multi-talented Newfoundlander's first memoir was "By the
> Way" and his next was "Next", published 20 years later
> in 2012. Name him.

Gordon Pinsent.

> * D. Great Big Sea (the band)

> D1. Which member's departure in 2013 at the end of the XX tour
> was the beginning of the end for the band?

Sean (or Séan) McCann.

> D2. Name the band's first or their last album. You must specify
> which question you are answering.

"Great Big Sea" (1993), "Safe Upon the Shore" (2010).

> * E. St. John's

> E1. This street is famous for its restaurants, pubs and bars,
> and is the center of St. John's nightlife with its own
> festival every year. Name it.

George St.

> E2. This St. John's location is home to the Cabot tower, built
> to commemorate the 400th anniversary of John Cabot's
> discovery of Newfoundland. Name it.

Signal Hill.

> * F. Science

> F1. What type of whale is most commonly found in Newfoundland
> waters?

Humpback.

> F2. This animal is not native to the island of Newfoundland,
> but is now found there as a result of the importation of
> breeding pairs. It now is a major problem both as a result
> of its negative impact on the environment and collisions
> with vehicles of all sizes. Name it.

Moose.

> After completing the round, please decode the rot13: Two different
> animals are called the elk in different countries. Fortunately,
> they both have other names. If you answered "elk" for the last
> question, please go back and substitute "wapiti" if you meant the
> species Cervus canadensis as in North American usage, or "moose"
> if you meant the species "Alces alces" as in British usage.

In the original game, of course only "moose" was expected.
But we're not all in Toronto here...

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAME 1 ROUNDS-> 2 3 4 6 7 8 9 10 BEST
TOPICS-> Geo His Ent Art Sci Mis Spo Can SIX
Joshua Kreitzer 31 32 32 8 24 28 36 0 183
"Calvin" 20 18 12 8 19 24 36 0 129
Bruce Bowler 28 8 16 8 36 32 -- -- 128
Dan Blum 16 22 12 12 26 28 18 4 122
Dan Tilque 28 24 4 0 16 28 -- -- 100
Erland Sommarskog 12 28 12 4 -- -- 32 0 88
Pete Gayde 16 20 12 15 -- -- -- -- 63

--
Mark Brader | [This technology] might help solve the chronic problem...
Toronto | of getting the registered voters to actually vote!

Pete Gayde

Oct 28, 2019, 9:20:36 AM10/28/19
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:cvqdnTWoYtIRAC_AnZ2dnUU7-
TXN...@giganews.com:

> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2019-09-16,

> Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
> the correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of the Red Smarties and are
> used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have
> been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information see
> my 2019-10-16 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>

> ** Game 1, Round 9 - Sports - Tennis
>
> Given Bianca's success, you may be planning to watch the upcoming
> WTA championships. Here are 10 questions as a primer about
> the game.
>
> 1. Tennis is played on a rectangular court. Within 10% of the
> correct answer, How long is a regulation court?

50 feet; 60 feet

> 2. And, again within 10%, how wide is it? You may answer for
> either singles or doubles, but must specify which question you
> are answering.

30 feet (doubles)

> 3. For a service to be legal, the ball must travel over the net
> without touching it into the diagonally opposite service box.
> What is it called if the ball touches the net but lands in the
> correct service box, forcing the person serving to re-serve?

Let

> 4. What is a service called that travels over the net without
> touching it, lands in the diagonally opposite service box,
> and is not returned by the opponent?

Ace

> 5. In tennis scoring, what is the official term for a score of 0?

Love

> 6. In tennis scoring, what official term is used if the score is
> tied at 40-40?

Deuce

> 7. Which term refers to *any* situation where the player who is
> leading needs only one more point to win the game?

Ad in

> 8. If the leading player is at <answer 7> and is *not* the player
> who is serving, what other team also describes this situation?

Ad out

> 9. Name any Grand Slam tennis tournament played on grass.

Wimbledon

> 10. Name any Grand Slam tennis tournament played on clay.

French Open
Humpback; Blue

> F2. This animal is not native to the island of Newfoundland,
> but is now found there as a result of the importation of
> breeding pairs. It now is a major problem both as a result
> of its negative impact on the environment and collisions
> with vehicles of all sizes. Name it.
>
> After completing the round, please decode the rot13: Gjb qvssrerag
> navznyf ner pnyyrq gur ryx va qvssrerag pbhagevrf. Sbeghangryl,
> gurl obgu unir bgure anzrf. Vs lbh nafjrerq "ryx" sbe gur ynfg
> dhrfgvba, cyrnfr tb onpx naq fhofgvghgr "jncvgv" vs lbh zrnag gur
> fcrpvrf Preihf pnanqrafvf nf va Abegu Nzrevpna hfntr, be "zbbfr"
> vs lbh zrnag gur fcrpvrf "Nyprf nyprf" nf va Oevgvfu hfntr.

Pete Gayde

Mark Brader

Oct 28, 2019, 2:33:22 PM10/28/19
If Pete Gayde's answers had been posted on time, he would have scored
24 points on Round 9 and 3 on Round 10 for a final score of 27, moving
up into a 5th-place tie with Dan Tilque.
--
Mark Brader "...out of the dark coffee-stained mugs of
Toronto insane programmers throughout the world..."

Calvin

Oct 29, 2019, 9:27:54 PM10/29/19
On Monday, October 28, 2019 at 5:00:08 PM UTC+10, Mark Brader wrote:
> Mark Brader:

> > 9. Name any Grand Slam tennis tournament played on grass.
>
> Wimbledon. 4 for everyone.
>
> > 10. Name any Grand Slam tennis tournament played on clay.
>
> French Open. 4 for Erland, Calvin, and Joshua. 2 for Dan.
>
> The other Grand Slam tournaments are the US and Australian Opens,
> both of which are played on hard courts.

They are now, but as they were once played on grass are arguably correct responses to Q9.

cheers,
calvin

Mark Brader

Oct 29, 2019, 9:37:15 PM10/29/19
Mark Brader:
> > > 9. Name any Grand Slam tennis tournament played on grass.
> >
> > Wimbledon. 4 for everyone.
> >
> > > 10. Name any Grand Slam tennis tournament played on clay.
> >
> > French Open. 4 for Erland, Calvin, and Joshua. 2 for Dan.
> >
> > The other Grand Slam tournaments are the US and Australian Opens,
> > both of which are played on hard courts.

"Calvin":
> They are now, but as they were once played on grass are arguably correct

I missed that possible reading. But it doesn't matter, since, as
you can see above,as nobody named either one in response to #9.
--
Mark Brader | "We're not quarreling: we're in complete agreement.
Toronto | We hate each other."

Calvin

Oct 31, 2019, 8:32:53 PM10/31/19
On Wednesday, October 30, 2019 at 11:37:15 AM UTC+10, Mark Brader wrote:
> Mark Brader:
> > >
> > > Wimbledon. 4 for everyone.

> > > French Open. 4 for Erland, Calvin, and Joshua. 2 for Dan.
> > >
> > > The other Grand Slam tournaments are the US and Australian Opens,
> > > both of which are played on hard courts.
>
> "Calvin":
> > They are now, but as they were once played on grass are arguably correct
>
> I missed that possible reading. But it doesn't matter, since, as
> you can see above,as nobody named either one in response to #9.

I was tempted to :-)

cheers,
calvin