QFTCIUA Game 8, Rounds 9-10: sciences, WW1

Mark Brader

Dec 31, 2014, 11:18:29 PM12/31/14
These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2014-11-10,
and should be interpreted accordingly.

Please post all your answers in a single followup to the newsgroup,
the correct answers next year, in about 3 days.

All questions were written by members of Unnatural Axxxe, and are
used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have
been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information see
my 2014-09-15 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

* Game 8, Round 9 - Science - Name That Specialty

So you've decided to become a scientist. Now comes the hard part --
picking a specialty. In this round, we'll name a branch of science
and you tell us what it studies. In all cases, be sufficiently
specific.

1. Mycology.
2. Phycology.
3. Agronomy.
4. Phenology.
5. Rheology.
6. Pedology.
7. Herpetology.
8. Hematology.
9. Petrology.
10. Cryology.

* Game 8, Round 10 - Challenge Round - World War I

This year is the 100th anniversary of the start of the Great War,
so this Remembrance Day is special. We dedicate our challenge
round to it.

A. History: Casus Belli

A1. Archduke Franz Ferdinand, heir presumptive to the
Austro-Hungarian throne, was assassinated 1914-06-28, in
Sarajevo. Name his wife who died with him that day.

A2. The man who assassinated the royal couple was a 19-year-old
member of a secret military society of the Serbian army
called the Black Hand. Name him.

B. Geography: Battlefields

B1. On 1916-07-01 the Newfoundland Regiment went into action
at Beaumont-Hamel and suffered almost 90% casualties,
as part of what much larger battle?

B2. April 9-12 of 1917 saw the first time all four divisions of
the Canadian Army attacked in coordination with each other --
on which battlefield that within the larger battle of Arras?

C. Literature: Poets

C1. Name the poet who used this line from Horace to end his
poem, saying it was "the old lie": "Dulce et decorum est
pro patria mori". (It is sweet and fitting to die for
one's country)

C2. Name this poet who penned the lines: "If I should die,
think only this of me: That there's some corner of a
foreign field that is forever England".

D. Science: Inventions

D1. William Foster & Co. produced the prototype of a war weapon
called "Little Willy" during August and September 1915,
and demonstrated it to the British Army in early 1916.
What was it?

D2. Poison gas wasn't the only horrific weapon introduced to
the Ypres salient in 1915. Name the portable backpack
device that terrorized the troops in the trenches.

E. Sports

E1. Name the Toronto Maple Leafs' former owner and managing
director who spent 14 months in a German POW camp after
his plane was shot down in 1917.

E2. In 1914 a Canadian city was one of the first to be threatened
by war, with reports of German cruisers prowling in the
waters off the coast, but in 1915 their team won the
Stanley Cup. Give the *team name* (not the city).

F. Entertainment: Songs

F1. Possibly the most famous song associated with World War I was
written in 1912 by Jack Judge and Henry Williams. It was
first reported being sung by the Irish regiment the
Connaught Rangers, and quickly picked up by other units of
the British Army. Name it.

F2. In 1915, a competition to find a rousing wartime song was
won by Felix and George Powell. What was the title of
their morale-boosting marching song?

--
Mark Brader, Toronto, m...@vex.net
MARTIANS BUILD TWO IMMENSE CANALS IN TWO YEARS.
by Our Planetary Neighbors. --N.Y.Times headline, August 27, 1911

Dan Blum

Jan 1, 2015, 12:41:40 AM1/1/15
Mark Brader <m...@vex.net> wrote:

> * Game 8, Round 9 - Science - Name That Specialty

> 1. Mycology.

fungi

> 3. Agronomy.

agriculture

> 6. Pedology.

walking

> 7. Herpetology.

reptiles

> 8. Hematology.

blood

> 9. Petrology.

extracting resources from the ground

> 10. Cryology.

very low temperatures

> * Game 8, Round 10 - Challenge Round - World War I

> A2. The man who assassinated the royal couple was a 19-year-old
> member of a secret military society of the Serbian army
> called the Black Hand. Name him.

Gavrilo Princep

> B. Geography: Battlefields

> B1. On 1916-07-01 the Newfoundland Regiment went into action
> at Beaumont-Hamel and suffered almost 90% casualties,
> as part of what much larger battle?

Somme

> C. Literature: Poets

> C1. Name the poet who used this line from Horace to end his
> poem, saying it was "the old lie": "Dulce et decorum est
> pro patria mori". (It is sweet and fitting to die for
> one's country)

Sassoon

> C2. Name this poet who penned the lines: "If I should die,
> think only this of me: That there's some corner of a
> foreign field that is forever England".

Sassoon

> E. Sports

> E1. Name the Toronto Maple Leafs' former owner and managing
> director who spent 14 months in a German POW camp after
> his plane was shot down in 1917.

Billy Bishop

Dan Blum to...@panix.com

Erland Sommarskog

Jan 1, 2015, 4:10:56 AM1/1/15
Mark Brader (m...@vex.net) writes:
> * Game 8, Round 9 - Science - Name That Specialty
>
> 1. Mycology.

Mushrooms

> 3. Agronomy.

Agricultire

> 8. Hematology.

Blood, as a branch of Medicine

> 9. Petrology.

Stones and rocks; Oil

> * Game 8, Round 10 - Challenge Round - World War I
>
> A. History: Casus Belli
>
> A2. The man who assassinated the royal couple was a 19-year-old
> member of a secret military society of the Serbian army
> called the Black Hand. Name him.

Princip

> B. Geography: Battlefields
>
> B1. On 1916-07-01 the Newfoundland Regiment went into action
> at Beaumont-Hamel and suffered almost 90% casualties,
> as part of what much larger battle?

Gallipoli

> B2. April 9-12 of 1917 saw the first time all four divisions of
> the Canadian Army attacked in coordination with each other --
> on which battlefield that within the larger battle of Arras?

Verdun

Björn Lundin

Jan 1, 2015, 10:12:51 AM1/1/15
On 2015-01-01 05:18, Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 8, Round 9 - Science - Name That Specialty
>
> So you've decided to become a scientist. Now comes the hard part --
> picking a specialty. In this round, we'll name a branch of science
> and you tell us what it studies. In all cases, be sufficiently
> specific.
>
> 1. Mycology.
fungus/mushrooms

> 3. Agronomy.
farming

> 6. Pedology.
children's doctor

> 8. Hematology.
blood expert

> 9. Petrology.
Oil

> 10. Cryology.
very cold stuff/freezing

> * Game 8, Round 10 - Challenge Round - World War I
>
> This year is the 100th anniversary of the start of the Great War,
> so this Remembrance Day is special. We dedicate our challenge
> round to it.
>
> A. History: Casus Belli
>
> A2. The man who assassinated the royal couple was a 19-year-old
> member of a secret military society of the Serbian army
> called the Black Hand. Name him.

Gavriel Pricip

> B. Geography: Battlefields
>
> B1. On 1916-07-01 the Newfoundland Regiment went into action
> at Beaumont-Hamel and suffered almost 90% casualties,
> as part of what much larger battle?

battle of Verdun

> D. Science: Inventions
>
> D1. William Foster & Co. produced the prototype of a war weapon
> called "Little Willy" during August and September 1915,
> and demonstrated it to the British Army in early 1916.
> What was it?

A tank

> D2. Poison gas wasn't the only horrific weapon introduced to
> the Ypres salient in 1915. Name the portable backpack
> device that terrorized the troops in the trenches.

Mines

> F. Entertainment: Songs
>
> F1. Possibly the most famous song associated with World War I was
> written in 1912 by Jack Judge and Henry Williams. It was
> first reported being sung by the Irish regiment the
> Connaught Rangers, and quickly picked up by other units of
> the British Army. Name it.

It's a long way to Tipperary

> F2. In 1915, a competition to find a rousing wartime song was
> won by Felix and George Powell. What was the title of
> their morale-boosting marching song?

It's a long way to Tipperary

Björn

Marc Dashevsky

Jan 1, 2015, 7:39:32 PM1/1/15
In article <-sSdnT8j5oMJVznJ...@vex.net>, m...@vex.net says...
> * Game 8, Round 9 - Science - Name That Specialty
>
> So you've decided to become a scientist. Now comes the hard part --
> picking a specialty. In this round, we'll name a branch of science
> and you tell us what it studies. In all cases, be sufficiently
> specific.
>
> 1. Mycology.
fungi

> 2. Phycology.
> 3. Agronomy.
crops

> 4. Phenology.
> 5. Rheology.
> 6. Pedology.
children

> 7. Herpetology.
reptiles

> 8. Hematology.
blood

> 9. Petrology.
rocks

> 10. Cryology.
low temperatures

> * Game 8, Round 10 - Challenge Round - World War I
>
> This year is the 100th anniversary of the start of the Great War,
> so this Remembrance Day is special. We dedicate our challenge
> round to it.
>
> F. Entertainment: Songs
>
> F1. Possibly the most famous song associated with World War I was
> written in 1912 by Jack Judge and Henry Williams. It was
> first reported being sung by the Irish regiment the
> Connaught Rangers, and quickly picked up by other units of
> the British Army. Name it.
It's A Long Way to Tipperary

> F2. In 1915, a competition to find a rousing wartime song was
> won by Felix and George Powell. What was the title of
> their morale-boosting marching song?
Over There

Rob Parker

Jan 1, 2015, 9:03:57 PM1/1/15
> * Game 8, Round 9 - Science - Name That Specialty
>
> 1. Mycology.

fungi

> 3. Agronomy.

agriculture

> 5. Rheology.

fluid flow

> 6. Pedology.

children

> 7. Herpetology.

reptiles

> 8. Hematology.

blood

> 9. Petrology.

rocks

> 10. Cryology.

behaviour of materials at low temperatures

> * Game 8, Round 10 - Challenge Round - World War I
>
> B1. On 1916-07-01 the Newfoundland Regiment went into action
> at Beaumont-Hamel and suffered almost 90% casualties,
> as part of what much larger battle?

Battle of the Somme

> C2. Name this poet who penned the lines: "If I should die,
> think only this of me: That there's some corner of a
> foreign field that is forever England".

Brooke

> D1. William Foster & Co. produced the prototype of a war weapon
> called "Little Willy" during August and September 1915,
> and demonstrated it to the British Army in early 1916.
> What was it?

Tank (?)

> D2. Poison gas wasn't the only horrific weapon introduced to
> the Ypres salient in 1915. Name the portable backpack
> device that terrorized the troops in the trenches.

Flame-thrower (?)

> F1. Possibly the most famous song associated with World War I was
> written in 1912 by Jack Judge and Henry Williams. It was
> first reported being sung by the Irish regiment the
> Connaught Rangers, and quickly picked up by other units of
> the British Army. Name it.

It's a Long Way to Tipperary

Rob

Calvin

Jan 1, 2015, 10:22:19 PM1/1/15
On Thursday, January 1, 2015 2:18:29 PM UTC+10, Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 8, Round 9 - Science - Name That Specialty
>
> So you've decided to become a scientist. Now comes the hard part --
> picking a specialty. In this round, we'll name a branch of science
> and you tell us what it studies. In all cases, be sufficiently
> specific.
>
> 1. Mycology.
> 2. Phycology.
> 3. Agronomy.

Spaces

> 4. Phenology.
> 5. Rheology.
> 6. Pedology.
> 7. Herpetology.

Reptiles

> 8. Hematology.

Blood

> 9. Petrology.

Rocks

> 10. Cryology.

Suspended animation

> * Game 8, Round 10 - Challenge Round - World War I
>
> This year is the 100th anniversary of the start of the Great War,
> so this Remembrance Day is special. We dedicate our challenge
> round to it.
>
> A. History: Casus Belli
>
> A1. Archduke Franz Ferdinand, heir presumptive to the
> Austro-Hungarian throne, was assassinated 1914-06-28, in
> Sarajevo. Name his wife who died with him that day.
>
> A2. The man who assassinated the royal couple was a 19-year-old
> member of a secret military society of the Serbian army
> called the Black Hand. Name him.

Princip

> B. Geography: Battlefields
>
> B1. On 1916-07-01 the Newfoundland Regiment went into action
> at Beaumont-Hamel and suffered almost 90% casualties,
> as part of what much larger battle?

Somme

> B2. April 9-12 of 1917 saw the first time all four divisions of
> the Canadian Army attacked in coordination with each other --
> on which battlefield that within the larger battle of Arras?

Somme

> C. Literature: Poets
>
> C1. Name the poet who used this line from Horace to end his
> poem, saying it was "the old lie": "Dulce et decorum est
> pro patria mori". (It is sweet and fitting to die for
> one's country)

Owen

> C2. Name this poet who penned the lines: "If I should die,
> think only this of me: That there's some corner of a
> foreign field that is forever England".

Sassoon

> D. Science: Inventions
>
> D1. William Foster & Co. produced the prototype of a war weapon
> called "Little Willy" during August and September 1915,
> and demonstrated it to the British Army in early 1916.
> What was it?

Tank, Aeroplane

> D2. Poison gas wasn't the only horrific weapon introduced to
> the Ypres salient in 1915. Name the portable backpack
> device that terrorized the troops in the trenches.
>
> E. Sports
>
> E1. Name the Toronto Maple Leafs' former owner and managing
> director who spent 14 months in a German POW camp after
> his plane was shot down in 1917.

Johnson

> E2. In 1914 a Canadian city was one of the first to be threatened
> by war, with reports of German cruisers prowling in the
> waters off the coast, but in 1915 their team won the
> Stanley Cup. Give the *team name* (not the city).

Canucks?

> F. Entertainment: Songs
>
> F1. Possibly the most famous song associated with World War I was
> written in 1912 by Jack Judge and Henry Williams. It was
> first reported being sung by the Irish regiment the
> Connaught Rangers, and quickly picked up by other units of
> the British Army. Name it.

It's a Long Way to Tipperary

> F2. In 1915, a competition to find a rousing wartime song was
> won by Felix and George Powell. What was the title of
> their morale-boosting marching song?

cheers,
calvin

Dan Tilque

Jan 3, 2015, 6:04:57 AM1/3/15
Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 8, Round 9 - Science - Name That Specialty
>
> So you've decided to become a scientist. Now comes the hard part --
> picking a specialty. In this round, we'll name a branch of science
> and you tell us what it studies. In all cases, be sufficiently
> specific.
>
> 1. Mycology.

mushrooms

> 2. Phycology.
> 3. Agronomy.

growing food

> 4. Phenology.
> 5. Rheology.
> 6. Pedology.

teaching

> 7. Herpetology.

lizards and snakes

> 8. Hematology.

blood

> 9. Petrology.

oil-bearing rocks

> 10. Cryology.

freezing things

> * Game 8, Round 10 - Challenge Round - World War I
>
> This year is the 100th anniversary of the start of the Great War,
> so this Remembrance Day is special. We dedicate our challenge
> round to it.
>
> A. History: Casus Belli
>
> A1. Archduke Franz Ferdinand, heir presumptive to the
> Austro-Hungarian throne, was assassinated 1914-06-28, in
> Sarajevo. Name his wife who died with him that day.
>
> A2. The man who assassinated the royal couple was a 19-year-old
> member of a secret military society of the Serbian army
> called the Black Hand. Name him.
>
> B. Geography: Battlefields
>
> B1. On 1916-07-01 the Newfoundland Regiment went into action
> at Beaumont-Hamel and suffered almost 90% casualties,
> as part of what much larger battle?

The Somme

> B2. April 9-12 of 1917 saw the first time all four divisions of
> the Canadian Army attacked in coordination with each other --
> on which battlefield that within the larger battle of Arras?
>
> C. Literature: Poets
>
> C1. Name the poet who used this line from Horace to end his
> poem, saying it was "the old lie": "Dulce et decorum est
> pro patria mori". (It is sweet and fitting to die for
> one's country)
>
> C2. Name this poet who penned the lines: "If I should die,
> think only this of me: That there's some corner of a
> foreign field that is forever England".
>
> D. Science: Inventions
>
> D1. William Foster & Co. produced the prototype of a war weapon
> called "Little Willy" during August and September 1915,
> and demonstrated it to the British Army in early 1916.
> What was it?

a tank

> D2. Poison gas wasn't the only horrific weapon introduced to
> the Ypres salient in 1915. Name the portable backpack
> device that terrorized the troops in the trenches.
>
> E. Sports
>
> E1. Name the Toronto Maple Leafs' former owner and managing
> director who spent 14 months in a German POW camp after
> his plane was shot down in 1917.
>
> E2. In 1914 a Canadian city was one of the first to be threatened
> by war, with reports of German cruisers prowling in the
> waters off the coast, but in 1915 their team won the
> Stanley Cup. Give the *team name* (not the city).
>
> F. Entertainment: Songs
>
> F1. Possibly the most famous song associated with World War I was
> written in 1912 by Jack Judge and Henry Williams. It was
> first reported being sung by the Irish regiment the
> Connaught Rangers, and quickly picked up by other units of
> the British Army. Name it.
>
> F2. In 1915, a competition to find a rousing wartime song was
> won by Felix and George Powell. What was the title of
> their morale-boosting marching song?

Over There

--
Dan Tilque

Peter Smyth

Jan 3, 2015, 10:55:47 AM1/3/15
Mark Brader wrote:

> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2014-11-10,

> Please post all your answers in a single followup to the newsgroup,
> the correct answers next year, in about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of Unnatural Axxxe, and are
> used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have
> been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information see
> my 2014-09-15 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>

> * Game 8, Round 9 - Science - Name That Specialty
>
> So you've decided to become a scientist. Now comes the hard part --
> picking a specialty. In this round, we'll name a branch of science
> and you tell us what it studies. In all cases, be sufficiently
> specific.
>
> 1. Mycology.
Fungi
> 2. Phycology.
> 3. Agronomy.
> 4. Phenology.
> 5. Rheology.
> 6. Pedology.
> 7. Herpetology.
Reptiles
> 8. Hematology.
Blood
> 9. Petrology.
> 10. Cryology.
Low temperatures

> * Game 8, Round 10 - Challenge Round - World War I
>
> This year is the 100th anniversary of the start of the Great War,
> so this Remembrance Day is special. We dedicate our challenge
> round to it.
>
> A. History: Casus Belli
>
> A1. Archduke Franz Ferdinand, heir presumptive to the
> Austro-Hungarian throne, was assassinated 1914-06-28, in
> Sarajevo. Name his wife who died with him that day.
>
> A2. The man who assassinated the royal couple was a 19-year-old
> member of a secret military society of the Serbian army
> called the Black Hand. Name him.
Princip
> B. Geography: Battlefields
>
> B1. On 1916-07-01 the Newfoundland Regiment went into action
> at Beaumont-Hamel and suffered almost 90% casualties,
> as part of what much larger battle?
Somme
> B2. April 9-12 of 1917 saw the first time all four divisions of
> the Canadian Army attacked in coordination with each other --
> on which battlefield that within the larger battle of Arras?
>
> C. Literature: Poets
>
> C1. Name the poet who used this line from Horace to end his
> poem, saying it was "the old lie": "Dulce et decorum est
> pro patria mori". (It is sweet and fitting to die for
> one's country)
Owen
> C2. Name this poet who penned the lines: "If I should die,
> think only this of me: That there's some corner of a
> foreign field that is forever England".
Owen
> D. Science: Inventions
>
> D1. William Foster & Co. produced the prototype of a war weapon
> called "Little Willy" during August and September 1915,
> and demonstrated it to the British Army in early 1916.
> What was it?
>
> D2. Poison gas wasn't the only horrific weapon introduced to
> the Ypres salient in 1915. Name the portable backpack
> device that terrorized the troops in the trenches.
>
> E. Sports
>
> E1. Name the Toronto Maple Leafs' former owner and managing
> director who spent 14 months in a German POW camp after
> his plane was shot down in 1917.
>
> E2. In 1914 a Canadian city was one of the first to be threatened
> by war, with reports of German cruisers prowling in the
> waters off the coast, but in 1915 their team won the
> Stanley Cup. Give the *team name* (not the city).
>
> F. Entertainment: Songs
>
> F1. Possibly the most famous song associated with World War I was
> written in 1912 by Jack Judge and Henry Williams. It was
> first reported being sung by the Irish regiment the
> Connaught Rangers, and quickly picked up by other units of
> the British Army. Name it.
Pack Up Your Troubles In Your Old Kit Bag
> F2. In 1915, a competition to find a rousing wartime song was
> won by Felix and George Powell. What was the title of
> their morale-boosting marching song?
Pack Up Your Troubles In Your Old Kit Bag

Peter Smyth

Pete

Jan 3, 2015, 2:53:29 PM1/3/15
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:-sSdnT8j5oMJVznJnZ2dnUU7-
Yed...@vex.net:

> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2014-11-10,

> Please post all your answers in a single followup to the newsgroup,
> the correct answers next year, in about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of Unnatural Axxxe, and are
> used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have
> been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information see
> my 2014-09-15 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>

> * Game 8, Round 9 - Science - Name That Specialty
>
> So you've decided to become a scientist. Now comes the hard part --
> picking a specialty. In this round, we'll name a branch of science
> and you tell us what it studies. In all cases, be sufficiently
> specific.
>
> 1. Mycology.
> 2. Phycology.
> 3. Agronomy.

Agriculture

> 4. Phenology.
> 5. Rheology.
> 6. Pedology.

Feet

> 7. Herpetology.

Snakes

> 8. Hematology.

Blood

> 9. Petrology.
> 10. Cryology.

Death

> * Game 8, Round 10 - Challenge Round - World War I
>
> This year is the 100th anniversary of the start of the Great War,
> so this Remembrance Day is special. We dedicate our challenge
> round to it.
>
> A. History: Casus Belli
>
> A1. Archduke Franz Ferdinand, heir presumptive to the
> Austro-Hungarian throne, was assassinated 1914-06-28, in
> Sarajevo. Name his wife who died with him that day.

Sophie

> A2. The man who assassinated the royal couple was a 19-year-old
> member of a secret military society of the Serbian army
> called the Black Hand. Name him.

Gavrilo Princip

> B. Geography: Battlefields
>
> B1. On 1916-07-01 the Newfoundland Regiment went into action
> at Beaumont-Hamel and suffered almost 90% casualties,
> as part of what much larger battle?

Verdun; Marne

> B2. April 9-12 of 1917 saw the first time all four divisions of
> the Canadian Army attacked in coordination with each other --
> on which battlefield that within the larger battle of Arras?

Marne; Verdun

> C. Literature: Poets
>
> C1. Name the poet who used this line from Horace to end his
> poem, saying it was "the old lie": "Dulce et decorum est
> pro patria mori". (It is sweet and fitting to die for
> one's country)
>
> C2. Name this poet who penned the lines: "If I should die,
> think only this of me: That there's some corner of a
> foreign field that is forever England".
>
> D. Science: Inventions
>
> D1. William Foster & Co. produced the prototype of a war weapon
> called "Little Willy" during August and September 1915,
> and demonstrated it to the British Army in early 1916.
> What was it?

Tank

> D2. Poison gas wasn't the only horrific weapon introduced to
> the Ypres salient in 1915. Name the portable backpack
> device that terrorized the troops in the trenches.

Flame thrower

> E. Sports
>
> E1. Name the Toronto Maple Leafs' former owner and managing
> director who spent 14 months in a German POW camp after
> his plane was shot down in 1917.
>
> E2. In 1914 a Canadian city was one of the first to be threatened
> by war, with reports of German cruisers prowling in the
> waters off the coast, but in 1915 their team won the
> Stanley Cup. Give the *team name* (not the city).
>
> F. Entertainment: Songs
>
> F1. Possibly the most famous song associated with World War I was
> written in 1912 by Jack Judge and Henry Williams. It was
> first reported being sung by the Irish regiment the
> Connaught Rangers, and quickly picked up by other units of
> the British Army. Name it.

We'll Meet Again

> F2. In 1915, a competition to find a rousing wartime song was
> won by Felix and George Powell. What was the title of
> their morale-boosting marching song?

Over There

Pete

Mark Brader

Jan 4, 2015, 12:52:02 AM1/4/15
Mark Brader writes:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2014-11-10,
> see my 2014-09-15 companion posting on "Questions from the
> Canadian Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

Game 8 is over and the winner is DAN BLUM. Hearty congratulations!

> * Game 8, Round 9 - Science - Name That Specialty

> So you've decided to become a scientist. Now comes the hard part --
> picking a specialty. In this round, we'll name a branch of science
> and you tell us what it studies. In all cases, be sufficiently
> specific.

In general I scored over-specific answers as "almost correct".

> 1. Mycology.

Fungi. 4 for Dan Blum, Marc, Rob, and Peter. 3 for Erland, Björn
(the hard way), and Dan Tilque.

> 2. Phycology.

Algae.

> 3. Agronomy.

The uses of plants. "Agriculture" and "farming" were not close
enough.

> 4. Phenology.

Life cycles.

> 5. Rheology.

The flow of matter and the forces thereof. 4 for Rob.

> 6. Pedology.

The expected answer was "Soils", but it turns out that there are
two branches of science with this name and so "the development of
children" is also correct. I scored "children" as "almost correct",
but did not accept "children's doctor", which would be pediatrics,
or "teaching", which would be pedagogy. So, 3 for Marc and Rob.

> 7. Herpetology.

Reptiles and amphibians. (Either one was acceptable.) 4 for
Dan Blum, Marc, Rob, Calvin, and Peter. 3 for Dan Tilque and Pete.

> 8. Hematology.

Blood. 4 for everyone -- Dan Blum, Erland, Björn, Marc, Rob, Calvin,
Dan Tilque, Peter, and Pete.

> 9. Petrology.

Rocks. 4 for Marc, Rob, and Calvin. 3 for Erland and Dan Tilque.

> 10. Cryology.

Snow, ice, and sleet; also accepting cold. 4 for Dan Blum, Marc,
Rob, and Peter. 3 for Björn (the hard way) and Dan Tilque.

> * Game 8, Round 10 - Challenge Round - World War I

> This year is the 100th anniversary of the start of the Great War,
> so this Remembrance Day is special. We dedicate our challenge
> round to it.

> A. History: Casus Belli

> A1. Archduke Franz Ferdinand, heir presumptive to the
> Austro-Hungarian throne, was assassinated 1914-06-28, in
> Sarajevo. Name his wife who died with him that day.

Duchess Sophie of Hohenberg. 4 for Pete.

> A2. The man who assassinated the royal couple was a 19-year-old
> member of a secret military society of the Serbian army
> called the Black Hand. Name him.

Gavrilo Princip. 4 for Dan Blum, Erland, Calvin, Peter, and Pete.
3 for Björn.

Several Black Hand members were there that day and one of them tried
to throw a bomb at the archduke's car, but missed. Princip had
already missed his intended opportunity to take a shot at the car
when the driver took a wrong turn and, incredibly, just happened to
stop right in front of him.

> B. Geography: Battlefields

> B1. On 1916-07-01 the Newfoundland Regiment went into action
> at Beaumont-Hamel and suffered almost 90% casualties,
> as part of what much larger battle?

The Somme. 4 for Dan Blum, Rob, Calvin, Dan Tilque, and Peter.

> B2. April 9-12 of 1917 saw the first time all four divisions of
> the Canadian Army attacked in coordination with each other --
> on which battlefield that within the larger battle of Arras?

Vimy Ridge.

> C. Literature: Poets

> C1. Name the poet who used this line from Horace to end his
> poem, saying it was "the old lie": "Dulce et decorum est
> pro patria mori". (It is sweet and fitting to die for
> one's country)

Wilfred Owen. 4 for Calvin and Peter.

> C2. Name this poet who penned the lines: "If I should die,
> think only this of me: That there's some corner of a
> foreign field that is forever England".

Rupert Brooke. 4 for Rob.

> D. Science: Inventions

> D1. William Foster & Co. produced the prototype of a war weapon
> called "Little Willy" during August and September 1915,
> and demonstrated it to the British Army in early 1916.
> What was it?

Tank. 4 for Björn, Rob, Dan Tilque, and Pete. 3 for Calvin.

> D2. Poison gas wasn't the only horrific weapon introduced to
> the Ypres salient in 1915. Name the portable backpack
> device that terrorized the troops in the trenches.

Flamethrower. 4 for Rob and Pete.

> E. Sports

> E1. Name the Toronto Maple Leafs' former owner and managing
> director who spent 14 months in a German POW camp after
> his plane was shot down in 1917.

Conn Smythe.

> E2. In 1914 a Canadian city was one of the first to be threatened
> by war, with reports of German cruisers prowling in the
> waters off the coast, but in 1915 their team won the
> Stanley Cup. Give the *team name* (not the city).

(Vancouver) Millionaires.

If Wikipedia is correct, the Vancouver Millionaires folded in 1926
while the Vancouver Canucks did not start operations, even as a
minor-league team, until 1945. (They eventually joined the NHL when
it expanded in 1970, and still have not yet won the Stanley Cup.)

> F. Entertainment: Songs

> F1. Possibly the most famous song associated with World War I was
> written in 1912 by Jack Judge and Henry Williams. It was
> first reported being sung by the Irish regiment the
> Connaught Rangers, and quickly picked up by other units of
> the British Army. Name it.

"It's a Long, Long Way to Tipperary". I did not require the second
"Long". 4 for Björn, Marc, Rob, and Calvin.

> F2. In 1915, a competition to find a rousing wartime song was
> won by Felix and George Powell. What was the title of
> their morale-boosting marching song?

"Pack Up Your Troubles in Your Old Kit Bag and Smile, Smile, Smile".
I accepted the first clause alone, so 4 for Peter.

Times have changed. After the title, the next lines are: "While
you've a lucifer to light your fag, smile, boys, that's the style".

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAME 8 ROUNDS-> 2 3 4 6 7 8 9 10 BEST
TOPICS-> His Mis Can Geo Ent Spo Sci Cha SIX
Dan Blum 20 24 0 14 20 34 16 8 128
Marc Dashevsky 12 16 0 8 27 28 23 4 114
Pete Gayde 16 24 0 12 12 20 7 16 100
"Calvin" 20 24 4 4 -- -- 12 19 83
Dan Tilque -- -- 0 16 0 20 16 8 60
Erland Sommarskog 12 8 -- -- 0 24 10 4 58
Peter Smyth -- -- -- -- 0 24 16 16 56
Rob Parker -- -- -- -- -- -- 27 20 47
Björn Lundin -- -- 0 4 0 16 10 11 41
Bruce Bowler 0 20 -- -- -- -- -- -- 20

--
Mark Brader | "If you need features not found in any language,
Toronto | you can try your hand at creating your own.
| It is easy to create an unholy mess.)" -- Chris Torek

Dan Blum

Jan 4, 2015, 11:38:47 AM1/4/15
Mark Brader <m...@vex.net> wrote:
> Mark Brader writes:
> > These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2014-11-10,
> > and should be interpreted accordingly... For further information
> > see my 2014-09-15 companion posting on "Questions from the
> > Canadian Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

> Game 8 is over and the winner is DAN BLUM. Hearty congratulations!

Thanks! I owe it all to the holiday-induced absence of certain other
players.