Rotating Quiz #255: Land of the Long White Cloud

Calvin

May 11, 2017, 9:01:15 PM5/11/17
Dear RGTers

This is Rotating Quiz #255, consisting of 12 questions. Post your answers here but first you will need to access the PDF located at:

http://www.quizzingaustralia.org/uploads/7/7/8/1/7781317/rq255.pdf

Answers in a week or so. Good Luck!

cheers,
calvin

Mark Brader

May 11, 2017, 10:04:59 PM5/11/17
"Calvin":
> http://www.quizzingaustralia.org/uploads/7/7/8/1/7781317/rq255.pdf

1. Wellington
2. Queenstown
3. Dunedin
4. Auckland
5. Waitangi
6. Palmerston North
7. Tongariro
8. Christchurch
9. Gore
10. Hamilton
11. Rotorua
12. Aoteroa
--
Mark Brader | I fear what might happen if, like Skynet, the
Toronto | Republican Party ever became self-aware.

Dan Blum

May 11, 2017, 10:27:44 PM5/11/17
1. Wellington

3. Wellington

4. Auckland

6. Auckland

7. Auckland

8. Auckland

Dan Blum to...@panix.com

Peter Smyth

May 12, 2017, 5:57:06 AM5/12/17
1. Wellington
2.
3. Christchurch
4. Auckland
5. Waitangi
6. Christchurch
7. Hamilton
8. Christchurch
9. Hamilton
10. Wellington
11.
12.

Peter Smyth

Marc Dashevsky

May 12, 2017, 12:57:30 PM5/12/17
In article <2c2d2b70-3a5f-40e0...@googlegroups.com>, 334...@gmail.com says...
1. Wellington
2.
3.
4. Auckland
5.
6.
7.
8. Christchurch
9.
10.
11.
12.

Erland Sommarskog

May 12, 2017, 2:22:00 PM5/12/17
Calvin (334...@gmail.com) writes:
> Dear RGTers
>
> This is Rotating Quiz #255, consisting of 12 questions. Post your answers
here but first you will need to access the PDF located at:

> http://www.quizzingaustralia.org/uploads/7/7/8/1/7781317/rq255.pdf

1. Wellington

4. Auckland

6. Dunedin

8. Christchurch

9. Invercargill

(One of the most southermost? Yamn. I were to a couple that are quite
a bit more south earlier this year. And still was not to Punta Arenas
or Ushuaia - I did not come that far south. But, OK, in that part
of the world, Invercargill is best in class.)

12. NewZealand :-)

Dan Tilque

May 13, 2017, 4:43:13 AM5/13/17
Calvin wrote:

> http://www.quizzingaustralia.org/uploads/7/7/8/1/7781317/rq255.pdf

1. Wellington
2. Queenstown
3. Duneden
4. Auckland
5.
6. Napier ??
7.
8. Christchurch
9. Inverness
10. Palmerston North ??
11. Taupo
12. Aotearoa

--
Dan Tilque

Calvin

May 16, 2017, 1:08:04 AM5/16/17
I can't see us getting any more entries so here are the answers & results:

1 Wellington

2 Queenstown

3 Dunedin

4 Auckland

5 Waitangi

6 Napier

Singleton for Dan

7 Taupo

The only question no-one got right and it is pretty obscure from an international perspective.

8 Christchurch

9 Invercargill

Singleton for Erland

10 Hamilton

Singleton for Mark

11 Rotorua

Singleton for Mark

12 Aotearoa

Q1 Q2 Q3 Q4 Q5 Q6 Q7 Q8 Q9 Q10 Q11 Q12 TOTAL TB RQ255
1 1 1 1 1 0 0 1 0 1 1 1 9 27 Mark Brader
1 1 1 1 0 1 0 1 0 0 0 1 7 24 Dan Tilque
1 0 0 1 0 0 0 1 1 0 0 0 4 18 Erland S
1 0 0 1 1 0 0 1 0 0 0 0 4 19 Peter Smyth
1 0 0 1 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 0 3 17 Marc Dashevsky
1 0 0 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 2 12 Dan Blum
- - - - - - - - - - - - --- ----------
6 2 2 6 2 1 0 5 1 1 1 2 29 48%

Hope you enjoyed it. Mark is the clear winner and claims RQ256 hosting rights.

cheers,
calvin

Mark Brader

May 16, 2017, 1:55:10 AM5/16/17
"Calvin":
> > Answers in a week or so. Good Luck!
>
> I can't see us getting any more entries so here are the answers & results:

!!

I was waiting to see if Stephen came along and beat me.

> 7 Taupo
>
> The only question no-one got right and it is pretty obscure from an
> international perspective.

Well, to be fair, it *has* been 33.5 years since I was there. (I named
the national park near the lake instead of the lake itself.)

> 9 Invercargill
>
> Singleton for Erland

I missed by about 35 miles, instead naming the southernmost place *we*
went through on the trip.

> 10 Hamilton
>
> Singleton for Mark

Sheer luck -- just naming a city I hadn't given as another answer.

> 11 Rotorua
>
> Singleton for Mark

The only place where I've seen a geyser deliberately induced to erupt
for the tourists. (They dumped powdered soap into it.) (Okay, it's
not exactly in Rotorua, but it's only 35 miles away.)

> Mark is the clear winner and claims RQ256 hosting rights.

So be it. Thanks for the trip down memory lane.

--
Mark Brader | "My mind is like a steel trap; it snaps closed
Toronto | and is almost impossible to pry open"

swp

May 17, 2017, 7:23:57 PM5/17/17
On Tuesday, May 16, 2017 at 1:55:10 AM UTC-4, Mark Brader wrote:
> "Calvin":
> > > Answers in a week or so. Good Luck!
> >
> > I can't see us getting any more entries so here are the answers & results:
>
> !!

indeed

> I was waiting to see if Stephen came along and beat me.

did I promise to beat you? are you sure it wasn't with a wet sea bass?

> > 7 Taupo
> >
> > The only question no-one got right and it is pretty obscure from an
> > international perspective.
>
> Well, to be fair, it *has* been 33.5 years since I was there. (I named
> the national park near the lake instead of the lake itself.)

and now I have another place that I need to visit.

> > 9 Invercargill
> >
> > Singleton for Erland
>
> I missed by about 35 miles, instead naming the southernmost place *we*
> went through on the trip.

we?

> > 10 Hamilton
> >
> > Singleton for Mark
>
> Sheer luck -- just naming a city I hadn't given as another answer.

and here I thought you were naming the play. which I didn't like. over hyped.

> > 11 Rotorua
> >
> > Singleton for Mark
>
> The only place where I've seen a geyser deliberately induced to erupt
> for the tourists. (They dumped powdered soap into it.) (Okay, it's
> not exactly in Rotorua, but it's only 35 miles away.)

ah ha! there's that 35 again. clearly a universal constant for .. something.

> > Mark is the clear winner and claims RQ256 hosting rights.
>
> So be it. Thanks for the trip down memory lane.

amnesia lane, memory lane, the intersection of electric and higher. they all look the same from space. don't ask.

> --
> Mark Brader | "My mind is like a steel trap; it snaps closed
> Toronto | and is almost impossible to pry open"
> m...@vex.net | --Michael Wares
>
> My text in this article is in the public domain.

swp

Mark Brader

May 17, 2017, 8:44:02 PM5/17/17
"Calvin":
> > > I can't see us getting any more entries so here are the answers & results:

Mark Brader:
> > I was waiting to see if Stephen came along and beat me.

Stephen Perry:
> did I promise to beat you? are you sure it wasn't with a wet sea bass?

Maybe it was some other Stephen.

> > > 9 Invercargill
> > >
> > > Singleton for Erland
> >
> > I missed by about 35 miles, instead naming the southernmost place *we*
> > went through on the trip.
>
> we?

Robert, Cathy, and I.

> > The only place where I've seen a geyser deliberately induced to erupt
> > for the tourists. (They dumped powdered soap into it.) (Okay, it's
> > not exactly in Rotorua, but it's only 35 miles away.)
>
> ah ha! there's that 35 again. clearly a universal constant for .. something.

I see what you mean.

--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "The brain is amazing when it's amazing, with
m...@vex.net | apologies to Robert Biddle." --Steve Summit