Rotating Quiz #280 (repost)

Mark Brader

Jan 24, 2018, 2:00:56 PM1/24/18
Dang, I posted in an old thread again. Here's a repeat...

This is Rotating Quiz #280, and it's about historical events.

I'd like to thank Gareth Owen for running RQ #279 and dealing
promptly with the protest.

As usual, the first choice to set RQ 281 will be the winner of
this one. This time question #8 counts equally with the others.
In case of a tie, the first tiebreaker will be who scored on the
hardest questions, and the second tiebreaker will be who posted
first.

As usual, please answer only from your own knowledge and post all
your answers to the newsgroup in a single posting, quoting the
questions you are answering and placing your answers below each one.

You have until January 29 to enter, by Toronto time; that gives
you 5 days and 10 hours from the time of posting.

1. One of the early attacks in the present conflict between the US
and people claiming to represent Islam was against a US destroyer
in the port of Aden, Yemen. It was attacked by suicide bombers
aboard a small boat. Name the destroyer.

2. An act of union signed by King George III declared the
unification of two kingdoms into one. The full name used
afterwards for this kingdom does not actually appear in in the
act, but what exactly was it?

3. This 14-year war involving most of the great powers of Europe
followed the death of a childless king of the house of Hapsburg.
What is the usual name for this war in English?

4. Centuries after the fall of the Roman Empire in the west,
this Frenchman was crowned Emperor of the Romans by the
Pope, thus beginning what later became known as the so-called
"Holy Roman Empire". He reigned for about 14 years. By what
single-word name is he usually known in English?

5. The "Magna Carta" signed by King John is a famous event in
English constitutional law, but it wasn't the first time an
English king signed an agreement with the barons of the land
to limit his powers. This king knew he had only inherited
the throne because his older brother was out of the country,
and tried to buy the barons' loyalty by signing a "Coronation
Charter", also called the "Charter of Liberties". Among other
things it imposed a "strict peace", abolished the "unjust
exactions" and "evil customs" of his predecessor, and pardoned
anyone who committed murder before his own reign. Give his name,
and number if applicable.

6. The largest volcanic eruption in the history of South America
killed an estimated 1,500 people locally and, like the later
"Year Without a Summer", is believed to have caused crop failures
as far away as Russia. The name of the volcano (or one of them)
is Huaynaputina, and today it is in what country?

7. The second modern Olympic games were different from the others.
They were held in conjunction with a world's fair, events were
spread out over several months, and the word "Olympic" was
hardly used, so that it was later unclear which events should
be counted as part of the Olympics. Events included car racing,
ballooning, shooting at live pigeons, and underwater swimming.
What was the host city?

8. There is no significance to the sequence of the above questions,
but they have a theme in common. What is it?

--
Mark Brader, Toronto "Truth speak from any chair."
m...@vex.net -- Charlie Chan at the Wax Museum

Dan Blum

Jan 24, 2018, 3:24:45 PM1/24/18
Mark Brader <m...@vex.net> wrote:

> 1. One of the early attacks in the present conflict between the US
> and people claiming to represent Islam was against a US destroyer
> in the port of Aden, Yemen. It was attacked by suicide bombers
> aboard a small boat. Name the destroyer.

USS Cole

> 2. An act of union signed by King George III declared the
> unification of two kingdoms into one. The full name used
> afterwards for this kingdom does not actually appear in in the
> act, but what exactly was it?

United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland

> 3. This 14-year war involving most of the great powers of Europe
> followed the death of a childless king of the house of Hapsburg.
> What is the usual name for this war in English?

War of the Spanish Succession

> 4. Centuries after the fall of the Roman Empire in the west,
> this Frenchman was crowned Emperor of the Romans by the
> Pope, thus beginning what later became known as the so-called
> "Holy Roman Empire". He reigned for about 14 years. By what
> single-word name is he usually known in English?

Charlemagne

> 5. The "Magna Carta" signed by King John is a famous event in
> English constitutional law, but it wasn't the first time an
> English king signed an agreement with the barons of the land
> to limit his powers. This king knew he had only inherited
> the throne because his older brother was out of the country,
> and tried to buy the barons' loyalty by signing a "Coronation
> Charter", also called the "Charter of Liberties". Among other
> things it imposed a "strict peace", abolished the "unjust
> exactions" and "evil customs" of his predecessor, and pardoned
> anyone who committed murder before his own reign. Give his name,
> and number if applicable.

William II

> 6. The largest volcanic eruption in the history of South America
> killed an estimated 1,500 people locally and, like the later
> "Year Without a Summer", is believed to have caused crop failures
> as far away as Russia. The name of the volcano (or one of them)
> is Huaynaputina, and today it is in what country?

Chile

> 7. The second modern Olympic games were different from the others.
> They were held in conjunction with a world's fair, events were
> spread out over several months, and the word "Olympic" was
> hardly used, so that it was later unclear which events should
> be counted as part of the Olympics. Events included car racing,
> ballooning, shooting at live pigeons, and underwater swimming.
> What was the host city?

Paris

Dan Blum to...@panix.com

Marc Dashevsky

Jan 24, 2018, 4:57:32 PM1/24/18
In article <0dqdnSFI75R-SvXH...@giganews.com>, m...@vex.net says...
Charlemagne

> 5. The "Magna Carta" signed by King John is a famous event in
> English constitutional law, but it wasn't the first time an
> English king signed an agreement with the barons of the land
> to limit his powers. This king knew he had only inherited
> the throne because his older brother was out of the country,
> and tried to buy the barons' loyalty by signing a "Coronation
> Charter", also called the "Charter of Liberties". Among other
> things it imposed a "strict peace", abolished the "unjust
> exactions" and "evil customs" of his predecessor, and pardoned
> anyone who committed murder before his own reign. Give his name,
> and number if applicable.
>
> 6. The largest volcanic eruption in the history of South America
> killed an estimated 1,500 people locally and, like the later
> "Year Without a Summer", is believed to have caused crop failures
> as far away as Russia. The name of the volcano (or one of them)
> is Huaynaputina, and today it is in what country?
>
> 7. The second modern Olympic games were different from the others.
> They were held in conjunction with a world's fair, events were
> spread out over several months, and the word "Olympic" was
> hardly used, so that it was later unclear which events should
> be counted as part of the Olympics. Events included car racing,
> ballooning, shooting at live pigeons, and underwater swimming.
> What was the host city?
St. Louis

> 8. There is no significance to the sequence of the above questions,
> but they have a theme in common. What is it?

Erland Sommarskog

Jan 25, 2018, 3:26:39 AM1/25/18
Mark Brader (m...@vex.net) writes:
> 2. An act of union signed by King George III declared the
> unification of two kingdoms into one. The full name used
> afterwards for this kingdom does not actually appear in in the
> act, but what exactly was it?

United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland

> 3. This 14-year war involving most of the great powers of Europe
> followed the death of a childless king of the house of Hapsburg.
> What is the usual name for this war in English?

Spanish War of Succession

> 4. Centuries after the fall of the Roman Empire in the west,
> this Frenchman was crowned Emperor of the Romans by the
> Pope, thus beginning what later became known as the so-called
> "Holy Roman Empire". He reigned for about 14 years. By what
> single-word name is he usually known in English?

Charlemagne

> 5. The "Magna Carta" signed by King John is a famous event in
> English constitutional law, but it wasn't the first time an
> English king signed an agreement with the barons of the land
> to limit his powers. This king knew he had only inherited
> the throne because his older brother was out of the country,
> and tried to buy the barons' loyalty by signing a "Coronation
> Charter", also called the "Charter of Liberties". Among other
> things it imposed a "strict peace", abolished the "unjust
> exactions" and "evil customs" of his predecessor, and pardoned
> anyone who committed murder before his own reign. Give his name,
> and number if applicable.

King John without land

> 6. The largest volcanic eruption in the history of South America
> killed an estimated 1,500 people locally and, like the later
> "Year Without a Summer", is believed to have caused crop failures
> as far away as Russia. The name of the volcano (or one of them)
> is Huaynaputina, and today it is in what country?

Chile

> 7. The second modern Olympic games were different from the others.
> They were held in conjunction with a world's fair, events were
> spread out over several months, and the word "Olympic" was
> hardly used, so that it was later unclear which events should
> be counted as part of the Olympics. Events included car racing,
> ballooning, shooting at live pigeons, and underwater swimming.
> What was the host city?

St Louis

> 8. There is no significance to the sequence of the above questions,
> but they have a theme in common. What is it?

Questions that Mark felt like asking today.

Dan Tilque

Jan 25, 2018, 5:42:59 AM1/25/18
Mark Brader wrote:
> This is Rotating Quiz #280, and it's about historical events.
>
> I'd like to thank Gareth Owen for running RQ #279 and dealing
> promptly with the protest.
>
> As usual, the first choice to set RQ 281 will be the winner of
> this one. This time question #8 counts equally with the others.
> In case of a tie, the first tiebreaker will be who scored on the
> hardest questions, and the second tiebreaker will be who posted
> first.
>
> As usual, please answer only from your own knowledge and post all
> your answers to the newsgroup in a single posting, quoting the
> questions you are answering and placing your answers below each one.
>
> You have until January 29 to enter, by Toronto time; that gives
> you 5 days and 10 hours from the time of posting.
>

> 1. One of the early attacks in the present conflict between the US
> and people claiming to represent Islam was against a US destroyer
> in the port of Aden, Yemen. It was attacked by suicide bombers
> aboard a small boat. Name the destroyer.

USS Cole

> 2. An act of union signed by King George III declared the
> unification of two kingdoms into one. The full name used
> afterwards for this kingdom does not actually appear in in the
> act, but what exactly was it?

United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland, United Kingsdom of Northern
Ireland

> 3. This 14-year war involving most of the great powers of Europe
> followed the death of a childless king of the house of Hapsburg.
> What is the usual name for this war in English?

War of the {Austrian|Spanish} Succession

> 4. Centuries after the fall of the Roman Empire in the west,
> this Frenchman was crowned Emperor of the Romans by the
> Pope, thus beginning what later became known as the so-called
> "Holy Roman Empire". He reigned for about 14 years. By what
> single-word name is he usually known in English?

Charlemagne, Pepin

> 5. The "Magna Carta" signed by King John is a famous event in
> English constitutional law, but it wasn't the first time an
> English king signed an agreement with the barons of the land
> to limit his powers. This king knew he had only inherited
> the throne because his older brother was out of the country,
> and tried to buy the barons' loyalty by signing a "Coronation
> Charter", also called the "Charter of Liberties". Among other
> things it imposed a "strict peace", abolished the "unjust
> exactions" and "evil customs" of his predecessor, and pardoned
> anyone who committed murder before his own reign. Give his name,
> and number if applicable.

Henry I, Henry II

> 6. The largest volcanic eruption in the history of South America
> killed an estimated 1,500 people locally and, like the later
> "Year Without a Summer", is believed to have caused crop failures
> as far away as Russia. The name of the volcano (or one of them)
> is Huaynaputina, and today it is in what country?

Chile, Argentina

> 7. The second modern Olympic games were different from the others.
> They were held in conjunction with a world's fair, events were
> spread out over several months, and the word "Olympic" was
> hardly used, so that it was later unclear which events should
> be counted as part of the Olympics. Events included car racing,
> ballooning, shooting at live pigeons, and underwater swimming.
> What was the host city?

Paris, St. Louis

> 8. There is no significance to the sequence of the above questions,
> but they have a theme in common. What is it?

Two answers/question.

--
Dan Tilque

Dan Tilque

Jan 25, 2018, 6:35:02 AM1/25/18
Dan Tilque wrote:
> Mark Brader wrote:
>>
>> 2. An act of union signed by King George III declared the
>> unification of two kingdoms into one. The full name used
>> afterwards for this kingdom does not actually appear in in the
>> act, but what exactly was it?
>
> United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland, United Kingsdom of Northern
> Ireland

Somehow my second answer there got elided. I meant it to be United
Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland. Not sure what happened,
other than maybe a brainfart.

--
Dan Tilque

Peter Smyth

Jan 25, 2018, 7:20:28 AM1/25/18
Mark Brader wrote:

> Dang, I posted in an old thread again. Here's a repeat...
>

> This is Rotating Quiz #280, and it's about historical events.
>
> I'd like to thank Gareth Owen for running RQ #279 and dealing
> promptly with the protest.
>
> As usual, the first choice to set RQ 281 will be the winner of
> this one. This time question #8 counts equally with the others.
> In case of a tie, the first tiebreaker will be who scored on the
> hardest questions, and the second tiebreaker will be who posted
> first.
>
> As usual, please answer only from your own knowledge and post all
> your answers to the newsgroup in a single posting, quoting the
> questions you are answering and placing your answers below each one.
>
> You have until January 29 to enter, by Toronto time; that gives
> you 5 days and 10 hours from the time of posting.
>

> 1. One of the early attacks in the present conflict between the US
> and people claiming to represent Islam was against a US destroyer
> in the port of Aden, Yemen. It was attacked by suicide bombers
> aboard a small boat. Name the destroyer.
>
> 2. An act of union signed by King George III declared the
> unification of two kingdoms into one. The full name used
> afterwards for this kingdom does not actually appear in in the
> act, but what exactly was it?
United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland
> 3. This 14-year war involving most of the great powers of Europe
> followed the death of a childless king of the house of Hapsburg.
> What is the usual name for this war in English?
War of the Spanish Succession
> 4. Centuries after the fall of the Roman Empire in the west,
> this Frenchman was crowned Emperor of the Romans by the
> Pope, thus beginning what later became known as the so-called
> "Holy Roman Empire". He reigned for about 14 years. By what
> single-word name is he usually known in English?
Charlemagne
> 5. The "Magna Carta" signed by King John is a famous event in
> English constitutional law, but it wasn't the first time an
> English king signed an agreement with the barons of the land
> to limit his powers. This king knew he had only inherited
> the throne because his older brother was out of the country,
> and tried to buy the barons' loyalty by signing a "Coronation
> Charter", also called the "Charter of Liberties". Among other
> things it imposed a "strict peace", abolished the "unjust
> exactions" and "evil customs" of his predecessor, and pardoned
> anyone who committed murder before his own reign. Give his name,
> and number if applicable.
William II
> 6. The largest volcanic eruption in the history of South America
> killed an estimated 1,500 people locally and, like the later
> "Year Without a Summer", is believed to have caused crop failures
> as far away as Russia. The name of the volcano (or one of them)
> is Huaynaputina, and today it is in what country?
>
> 7. The second modern Olympic games were different from the others.
> They were held in conjunction with a world's fair, events were
> spread out over several months, and the word "Olympic" was
> hardly used, so that it was later unclear which events should
> be counted as part of the Olympics. Events included car racing,
> ballooning, shooting at live pigeons, and underwater swimming.
> What was the host city?
St Louis
> 8. There is no significance to the sequence of the above questions,
> but they have a theme in common. What is it?

Peter Smyth

swp

Jan 25, 2018, 5:54:40 PM1/25/18
On Wednesday, January 24, 2018 at 2:00:56 PM UTC-5, Mark Brader wrote:
> Dang, I posted in an old thread again. Here's a repeat...

I had already replied under the original post.

swp

Mark Brader

Jan 28, 2018, 6:51:20 PM1/28/18
This is a reminder that time is running out to enter RW 280.
As I post, you have 29 hours and about 10 minutes. See the
contest posting earlier in this thread.
--
Mark Brader "Relax -- I know the procedures backwards."
Toronto "Yeah, well, that's a quick way to get killed."

Mark Brader

Jan 30, 2018, 12:52:55 AM1/30/18
RQ 280 is over. Hearty congratulations to STEPHEN PERRY!

> 1. One of the early attacks in the present conflict between the US
> and people claiming to represent Islam was against a US destroyer
> in the port of Aden, Yemen. It was attacked by suicide bombers
> aboard a small boat. Name the destroyer.

Cole. (In 2000.) 1 for Dan Blum, Stephen, and Dan Tilque.

> 2. An act of union signed by King George III declared the
> unification of two kingdoms into one. The full name used
> afterwards for this kingdom does not actually appear in in the
> act, but what exactly was it?

The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland. (In 1800.)
1 for Dan Blum, Stephen, Erland, and Peter.

> 3. This 14-year war involving most of the great powers of Europe
> followed the death of a childless king of the house of Hapsburg.
> What is the usual name for this war in English?

War of the Spanish Succession. (Charles II of Spain died in 1700.)
1 for Dan Blum, Stephen, and Peter. Erland was close.

> 4. Centuries after the fall of the Roman Empire in the west,
> this Frenchman was crowned Emperor of the Romans by the
> Pope, thus beginning what later became known as the so-called
> "Holy Roman Empire". He reigned for about 14 years. By what
> single-word name is he usually known in English?

Charlemagne. (In 800.) 1 for Dan Blum, Marc, Stephen, Erland,
and Peter.

> 5. The "Magna Carta" signed by King John is a famous event in
> English constitutional law, but it wasn't the first time an
> English king signed an agreement with the barons of the land
> to limit his powers. This king knew he had only inherited
> the throne because his older brother was out of the country,
> and tried to buy the barons' loyalty by signing a "Coronation
> Charter", also called the "Charter of Liberties". Among other
> things it imposed a "strict peace", abolished the "unjust
> exactions" and "evil customs" of his predecessor, and forgave
> all murders before his own reign. Give his name, and number
> if applicable.

Henry I. (In 1100.) 1 for Stephen.

> 6. The largest volcanic eruption in the history of South America
> killed an estimated 1,500 people locally and, like the later
> "Year Without a Summer", is believed to have caused crop failures
> as far away as Russia. The name of the volcano (or one of them)
> is Huaynaputina, and today it is in what country?

Peru. (In 1600.) 1 for Stephen.

> 7. The second modern Olympic games were different from the others.
> They were held in conjunction with a world's fair, events were
> spread out over several months, and the word "Olympic" was
> hardly used, so that it was later unclear which events should
> be counted as part of the Olympics. Events included car racing,
> ballooning, shooting at live pigeons, and underwater swimming.
> What was the host city?

Paris. (In 1900.) 1 for Dan Blum and Stephen.

> 8. There is no significance to the sequence of the above questions,
> but they have a theme in common. What is it?

I was surprised nobody got this, but it should now be obvious from
the information above.

Scores, if there are no errors:

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 TOTALS

Stephen Perry 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 0 7
Dan Blum 1 1 1 1 0 0 1 0 5
Peter Smyth 0 1 1 1 0 0 0 0 3
Erland Sommarskog 0 1 0 1 0 0 0 0 2
Marc Dashevsky 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 0 1
Dan Tilque 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 1

3 4 3 5 1 1 2 0

And it's over to Stephen for RQ 281.
--
Mark Brader | "If you're incompetent, you can't know you're incompetent...
Toronto | the skills you need to produce a right answer are exactly

swp

Jan 30, 2018, 7:52:06 PM1/30/18
On Tuesday, January 30, 2018 at 12:52:55 AM UTC-5, Mark Brader wrote:
> RQ 280 is over. Hearty congratulations to STEPHEN PERRY!

I'll have something up soon.

swp

Dan Blum

Jan 30, 2018, 10:51:20 PM1/30/18
Mark Brader <m...@vex.net> wrote:

> > 8. There is no significance to the sequence of the above questions,
> > but they have a theme in common. What is it?

> I was surprised nobody got this, but it should now be obvious from
> the information above.

Perhaps, but not to me.

Mark Brader

Jan 31, 2018, 12:15:52 AM1/31/18
Mark Brader:
>>> 8. There is no significance to the sequence of the above questions,
>>> but they have a theme in common. What is it?
>
>> I was surprised nobody got this, but it should now be obvious from
>> the information above.

Dan Blum:
> Perhaps, but not to me.

Look at the years.
--
Mark Brader | "Well, in difficult circumstances, sacrifices do
Toronto | have to be made -- especially by ordinary people."