RQFTCI03 Game 7 Rounds 9-10: band names, CanChallenge

Mark Brader

Jan 22, 2021, 1:21:00 AM1/22/21
These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2003-03-03,
and should be interpreted accordingly. All questions were written
by members of the Usual Suspects, but have been reformatted and
may have been retyped and/or edited by me. I will reveal the
correct answers in about 3 days.

For further information, including an explanation of the """
notation that may appear in these rounds, see my 2020-06-23
companion posting on "Reposted Questions from the Canadian
Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".

In this set, I wrote two pairs in the challenge round.

** Game 7, Round 9 - Entertainment - Band Names

These questions ask you about the origins of the names
of some well-known pop and rock bands.

1. This group, formed in 1969, took its name from a book by
W.H. Davies, "Autobiography of a _____".

2. This British pop duo took its name from the type of retail
establishment where some of their friends worked.

3. This singer/songwriter named his band after a porno paperback.

4. This British heavy metal band took its name from the title of
a Bob Dylan ballad. It's also a mild curse.

5. This Scottish group is said to have chosen their name when
their manager stuck a pin in a map of Michigan.

6. This American group took its name from Aldous Huxley's book
about his experiences taking mescaline.

7. This US pop group took its name from a colorful Australian
expression for a very cold night in the outback.

8. This Australian pop group took its name from a road sign,
punning that their work is "middle of the road".

9. This group's name is a deliberate misspelling of the name of
a high-school teacher that some of the band members disliked.

10. This band's original name was the politer form of a popular
obscenity; but even this softer form this wasn't enough for
their record company, who insisted that they add two more words,
producing a name that alludes to a well-known aphorism.

** Game 7, Round 10 - Canadiana Challenge Round

* A. Canadian Sports Awards

A1. The most-valuable-player award presented to the top curler
in the playoffs of the """Scott""" Tournament of Hearts is
named for which person?

A2. The CFL Most Outstanding Canadian Award for regular season
play has been selected by the Football Reporters of Canada
since 1954. Name either of the """two""" players who have
won it four times.

* B. Quebec Institutions

B1. In Quebec, "la SAQ" ["sack"] sells what sort of products?

B2. In Quebec, "le CEGEP" or "le cégep" ["SAY-zhep"] is what
type of institution? Be sufficiently specific.

* C. Orchestral Conductors in Canada

C1. Jeanne Lamon ["Jeen La-MON"; not French pronunciation]
"""is""" Music Director of which orchestra of period
instruments?

C2. The Montreal Symphony Orchestra's """two""" Grammy Awards
were won when it was under the direction of what conductor?

* D. Women's Rights in Canada

D1. Within 3, in what year did the Supreme Court of Canada
unanimously decide that the term "person" in a law did not
include women?

D2. Within 3, what was the first year that women had the right
to vote in all 9 provinces?

* E. Canadian Railheads

E1. Name the only port that is directly on Hudson Bay and is
served by Canada's main railway network.

E2. Name the northernmost seaport in BC served by Canada's main
railway network.

* F. Canadian Literary Magazines

F1. Canada's longest-running literary journal (since 1945),
it """is""" published four times a year at the University
of New Brunswick.

F2. This literary periodical began in 1970 as a mimeograph
and """has""" evolved into a quarterly journal publishing
new and established contemporary writers and visual artists
from Canada and around the world. Their """most recent"""
issue is a tribute to Timothy Findley.

--
Mark Brader, Toronto | Bad news disturbs his game; so does good; so
m...@vex.net | also does the absence of news. --Stephen Leacock

Dan Tilque

Jan 22, 2021, 5:18:11 AM1/22/21
On 1/21/21 10:20 PM, Mark Brader wrote:

> ** Game 7, Round 9 - Entertainment - Band Names
>
> These questions ask you about the origins of the names
> of some well-known pop and rock bands.
>
> 1. This group, formed in 1969, took its name from a book by
> W.H. Davies, "Autobiography of a _____".
>
> 2. This British pop duo took its name from the type of retail
> establishment where some of their friends worked.
>
> 3. This singer/songwriter named his band after a porno paperback.
>
> 4. This British heavy metal band took its name from the title of
> a Bob Dylan ballad. It's also a mild curse.

The Rolling Stones

> 5. This Scottish group is said to have chosen their name when
> their manager stuck a pin in a map of Michigan.

Bay City Rollers

> 6. This American group took its name from Aldous Huxley's book
> about his experiences taking mescaline.
>
> 7. This US pop group took its name from a colorful Australian
> expression for a very cold night in the outback.

Three Dog Night

> 8. This Australian pop group took its name from a road sign,
> punning that their work is "middle of the road".

Men at Work
1922; 1929

> D2. Within 3, what was the first year that women had the right
> to vote in all 9 provinces?

1928; 1935

> * E. Canadian Railheads
>
> E1. Name the only port that is directly on Hudson Bay and is
> served by Canada's main railway network.

Churchill MB

> E2. Name the northernmost seaport in BC served by Canada's main
> railway network.

Prince Rupert BC

> * F. Canadian Literary Magazines
>
> F1. Canada's longest-running literary journal (since 1945),
> it """is""" published four times a year at the University
> of New Brunswick.
>
> F2. This literary periodical began in 1970 as a mimeograph
> and """has""" evolved into a quarterly journal publishing
> new and established contemporary writers and visual artists
> from Canada and around the world. Their """most recent"""
> issue is a tribute to Timothy Findley.

--
Dan Tilque

Erland Sommarskog

Jan 22, 2021, 3:56:50 PM1/22/21
Mark Brader (m...@vex.net) writes:
> ** Game 7, Round 9 - Entertainment - Band Names
>
> These questions ask you about the origins of the names
> of some well-known pop and rock bands.
>
> 2. This British pop duo took its name from the type of retail
> establishment where some of their friends worked.

The Pet Shop Boys

> 9. This group's name is a deliberate misspelling of the name of
> a high-school teacher that some of the band members disliked.

Lynrnd Skynrd

> ** Game 7, Round 10 - Canadiana Challenge Round
>
> D2. Within 3, what was the first year that women had the right
> to vote in all 9 provinces?

1921

> * E. Canadian Railheads
>
> E1. Name the only port that is directly on Hudson Bay and is
> served by Canada's main railway network.

Churchill

Dan Blum

Jan 22, 2021, 6:51:25 PM1/22/21
Mark Brader <m...@vex.net> wrote:

> ** Game 7, Round 9 - Entertainment - Band Names

> 1. This group, formed in 1969, took its name from a book by
> W.H. Davies, "Autobiography of a _____".

Supertramp

> 2. This British pop duo took its name from the type of retail
> establishment where some of their friends worked.

Pet Shop Boys

> 4. This British heavy metal band took its name from the title of
> a Bob Dylan ballad. It's also a mild curse.

Judas Priest

> 7. This US pop group took its name from a colorful Australian
> expression for a very cold night in the outback.

Three Dog Night

> 8. This Australian pop group took its name from a road sign,
> punning that their work is "middle of the road".

Men at Work

> 9. This group's name is a deliberate misspelling of the name of
> a high-school teacher that some of the band members disliked.

Lynyrd Skynyrd

> ** Game 7, Round 10 - Canadiana Challenge Round

> * B. Quebec Institutions

> B1. In Quebec, "la SAQ" ["sack"] sells what sort of products?

alcoholic beverages

> * D. Women's Rights in Canada

> D1. Within 3, in what year did the Supreme Court of Canada
> unanimously decide that the term "person" in a law did not
> include women?

1880; 1900

> D2. Within 3, what was the first year that women had the right
> to vote in all 9 provinces?

1920; 1930

> * E. Canadian Railheads

> E1. Name the only port that is directly on Hudson Bay and is
> served by Canada's main railway network.

Churchill

Dan Blum to...@panix.com

Pete Gayde

Jan 23, 2021, 5:44:51 PM1/23/21
Mark Brader wrote:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2003-03-03,
> and should be interpreted accordingly. All questions were written
> by members of the Usual Suspects, but have been reformatted and
> may have been retyped and/or edited by me. I will reveal the
> correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> For further information, including an explanation of the """
> notation that may appear in these rounds, see my 2020-06-23
> companion posting on "Reposted Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".
>

> In this set, I wrote two pairs in the challenge round.
>

> ** Game 7, Round 9 - Entertainment - Band Names
>
> These questions ask you about the origins of the names
> of some well-known pop and rock bands.
>
> 1. This group, formed in 1969, took its name from a book by
> W.H. Davies, "Autobiography of a _____".
>
> 2. This British pop duo took its name from the type of retail
> establishment where some of their friends worked.

Milli Vanilli

> 3. This singer/songwriter named his band after a porno paperback.
>
> 4. This British heavy metal band took its name from the title of
> a Bob Dylan ballad. It's also a mild curse.
>
> 5. This Scottish group is said to have chosen their name when
> their manager stuck a pin in a map of Michigan.

Bay City Rollers

> 6. This American group took its name from Aldous Huxley's book
> about his experiences taking mescaline.
>
> 7. This US pop group took its name from a colorful Australian
> expression for a very cold night in the outback.

Three Dog Night

> 8. This Australian pop group took its name from a road sign,
> punning that their work is "middle of the road".

Men At Work

> 9. This group's name is a deliberate misspelling of the name of
> a high-school teacher that some of the band members disliked.

Lynyrd Skynyrd

> 10. This band's original name was the politer form of a popular
> obscenity; but even this softer form this wasn't enough for
> their record company, who insisted that they add two more words,
> producing a name that alludes to a well-known aphorism.
>

> ** Game 7, Round 10 - Canadiana Challenge Round
>
> * A. Canadian Sports Awards
>
> A1. The most-valuable-player award presented to the top curler
> in the playoffs of the """Scott""" Tournament of Hearts is
> named for which person?
>
> A2. The CFL Most Outstanding Canadian Award for regular season
> play has been selected by the Football Reporters of Canada
> since 1954. Name either of the """two""" players who have
> won it four times.
>

> * B. Quebec Institutions
>
> B1. In Quebec, "la SAQ" ["sack"] sells what sort of products?
>
> B2. In Quebec, "le CEGEP" or "le cégep" ["SAY-zhep"] is what
> type of institution? Be sufficiently specific.
>

> * C. Orchestral Conductors in Canada
>
> C1. Jeanne Lamon ["Jeen La-MON"; not French pronunciation]
> """is""" Music Director of which orchestra of period
> instruments?

Tafelmusik

> C2. The Montreal Symphony Orchestra's """two""" Grammy Awards
> were won when it was under the direction of what conductor?

Charles Dutoit

> * D. Women's Rights in Canada
>
> D1. Within 3, in what year did the Supreme Court of Canada
> unanimously decide that the term "person" in a law did not
> include women?

1900; 1907

> D2. Within 3, what was the first year that women had the right
> to vote in all 9 provinces?

1900; 1907

> * E. Canadian Railheads
>
> E1. Name the only port that is directly on Hudson Bay and is
> served by Canada's main railway network.

Churchill

> E2. Name the northernmost seaport in BC served by Canada's main
> railway network.

Iqalit

> * F. Canadian Literary Magazines
>
> F1. Canada's longest-running literary journal (since 1945),
> it """is""" published four times a year at the University
> of New Brunswick.
>
> F2. This literary periodical began in 1970 as a mimeograph
> and """has""" evolved into a quarterly journal publishing
> new and established contemporary writers and visual artists
> from Canada and around the world. Their """most recent"""
> issue is a tribute to Timothy Findley.

Pete Gayde

Joshua Kreitzer

Jan 24, 2021, 10:12:07 AM1/24/21
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:3PudnRga47hb85f9nZ2dnUU7-
UPN...@giganews.com:

> ** Game 7, Round 9 - Entertainment - Band Names
>
> These questions ask you about the origins of the names
> of some well-known pop and rock bands.
>
> 1. This group, formed in 1969, took its name from a book by
> W.H. Davies, "Autobiography of a _____".

Supertramp

> 2. This British pop duo took its name from the type of retail
> establishment where some of their friends worked.

Pet Shop Boys

> 4. This British heavy metal band took its name from the title of
> a Bob Dylan ballad. It's also a mild curse.

Judas Priest

> 5. This Scottish group is said to have chosen their name when
> their manager stuck a pin in a map of Michigan.

Bay City Rollers

> 7. This US pop group took its name from a colorful Australian
> expression for a very cold night in the outback.

Three Dog Night

> 8. This Australian pop group took its name from a road sign,
> punning that their work is "middle of the road".

Men at Work

> 9. This group's name is a deliberate misspelling of the name of
> a high-school teacher that some of the band members disliked.

Lynyrd Skynyrd

> 10. This band's original name was the politer form of a popular
> obscenity; but even this softer form this wasn't enough for
> their record company, who insisted that they add two more words,
> producing a name that alludes to a well-known aphorism.

The Mothers of Invention

> ** Game 7, Round 10 - Canadiana Challenge Round
>
> * B. Quebec Institutions
>
> B1. In Quebec, "la SAQ" ["sack"] sells what sort of products?

alcoholic beverages

> B2. In Quebec, "le CEGEP" or "le cégep" ["SAY-zhep"] is what
> type of institution? Be sufficiently specific.

equivalent to a U.S. junior college/community college

> * C. Orchestral Conductors in Canada
>
> C1. Jeanne Lamon ["Jeen La-MON"; not French pronunciation]
> """is""" Music Director of which orchestra of period
> instruments?
>
> C2. The Montreal Symphony Orchestra's """two""" Grammy Awards
> were won when it was under the direction of what conductor?
>

> * D. Women's Rights in Canada
>
> D1. Within 3, in what year did the Supreme Court of Canada
> unanimously decide that the term "person" in a law did not
> include women?

1920

> D2. Within 3, what was the first year that women had the right
> to vote in all 9 provinces?

1920

--
Joshua Kreitzer
grom...@hotmail.com

Mark Brader

Jan 25, 2021, 5:31:15 PM1/25/21
Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2003-03-03,
> and should be interpreted accordingly... For further information...
> see my 2020-06-23 companion posting on "Reposted Questions from the
> Canadian Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".

Game 7 is over and the winner is JOSHUA KREITZER! Hearty
congratulations, eh?

> In this set, I wrote two pairs in the challenge round.

Those were D and, yes, E.

> ** Game 7, Round 9 - Entertainment - Band Names

> These questions ask you about the origins of the names
> of some well-known pop and rock bands.

> 1. This group, formed in 1969, took its name from a book by
> W.H. Davies, "Autobiography of a _____".

Supertramp. 4 for Dan Blum and Joshua.

> 2. This British pop duo took its name from the type of retail
> establishment where some of their friends worked.

Pet Shop Boys. 4 for Erland, Dan Blum, and Joshua.

> 3. This singer/songwriter named his band after a porno paperback.

Lou Reed. (The Velvet Underground.)

> 4. This British heavy metal band took its name from the title of
> a Bob Dylan ballad. It's also a mild curse.

(The Ballad of Frankie Lee and) Judas Priest. 4 for Dan Blum
and Joshua.

> 5. This Scottish group is said to have chosen their name when
> their manager stuck a pin in a map of Michigan.

Bay City Rollers. 4 for Dan Tilque, Pete, and Joshua.

> 6. This American group took its name from Aldous Huxley's book
> about his experiences taking mescaline.

The Doors.

> 7. This US pop group took its name from a colorful Australian
> expression for a very cold night in the outback.

Three Dog Night. 4 for Dan Tilque, Dan Blum, Pete, and Joshua.

> 8. This Australian pop group took its name from a road sign,
> punning that their work is "middle of the road".

Men at Work. 4 for Dan Tilque, Dan Blum, Pete, and Joshua.

> 9. This group's name is a deliberate misspelling of the name of
> a high-school teacher that some of the band members disliked.

Lynyrd Skynyrd. 4 for Erland, Dan Blum, Pete, and Joshua.

> 10. This band's original name was the politer form of a popular
> obscenity; but even this softer form this wasn't enough for
> their record company, who insisted that they add two more words,
> producing a name that alludes to a well-known aphorism.

The Mothers of Invention. 4 for Joshua.

> ** Game 7, Round 10 - Canadiana Challenge Round

> * A. Canadian Sports Awards

> A1. The most-valuable-player award presented to the top curler
> in the playoffs of the """Scott""" Tournament of Hearts is
> named for which person?

Sandra Schmirler. It's now the Scotties Tournament of Hearts.

Hers was a tragic death: she had a happy but painful pregnancy, but
only when the pain continued after the birth was it realized that
it had actually been due to cancer, and by then it was too late to
operate successfully. She died 9 months later, aged 36.

> A2. The CFL Most Outstanding Canadian Award for regular season
> play has been selected by the Football Reporters of Canada
> since 1954. Name either of the """two""" players who have
> won it four times.

Tony Gabriel, Russ Jackson. They still share that record.

> * B. Quebec Institutions

> B1. In Quebec, "la SAQ" ["sack"] sells what sort of products?

Alcoholic beverages (anything more specific was okay). 4 for Dan Blum
and Joshua.

It's the "Société des alcools du Québec" -- Quebec Alcohols Company.

> B2. In Quebec, "le CEGEP" or "le cégep" ["SAY-zhep"] is what
> type of institution? Be sufficiently specific.

Post-secondary educational, college, university-preparatory, technical
school, etc. (Anything along these lines was okay, but not "high
school" or "secondary school" on the one hand, or "university"
on the other.) 4 for Joshua.

The acronym stands for "Collège d'enseignement général et
professionel" -- college of general and professional teaching.

> * C. Orchestral Conductors in Canada

> C1. Jeanne Lamon ["Jeen La-MON"; not French pronunciation]
> """is""" Music Director of which orchestra of period
> instruments?

Tafelmusik Baroque Orchestra. She's still alive, but retired from
the job in 2014. Elisa Citterio has it now. 4 for Pete.

> C2. The Montreal Symphony Orchestra's """two""" Grammy Awards
> were won when it was under the direction of what conductor?

Charles Dutoit. (Still the only two.) 4 for Pete.

> * D. Women's Rights in Canada

> D1. Within 3, in what year did the Supreme Court of Canada
> unanimously decide that the term "person" in a law did not
> include women?

1928 (accepting 1925-31). 2 for Dan Tilque.

Fortunately, at the time a Supreme Court ruling could still be
appealed to the Judicial Committee of the Privy Council in Britain;
they overturned the decision the following year, also unanimously,
on the grounds "Why should it not?"

> D2. Within 3, what was the first year that women had the right
> to vote in all 9 provinces?

1940 (accepting 1937-43). Since no one was within the allowed
leeway, I scored answers within double the leeway (i.e. 1934-46) as
"almost correct". So, 1 for Dan Tilque.

The last holdout was Quebec. Of course the words "all 9 provinces"
told you immediately that it had to be sometime in the period 1905-49.

> * E. Canadian Railheads

> E1. Name the only port that is directly on Hudson Bay and is
> served by Canada's main railway network.

Churchill (Manitoba). 4 for Dan Tilque, Erland, Dan Blum, and Pete.

> E2. Name the northernmost seaport in BC served by Canada's main
> railway network.

Prince Rupert. 4 for Dan Tilque.

As you will remember from Game 4, it was named for the first governor
of the Hudson's Bay Company.

Iqaluit, by the way, was not a very good guess. Any route from
there to the Canadian mainland would require a 60-mile (100 km)
water crossing, and in fact the nearest railway (at Churchill)
is over 900 miles (1,400 km) away, while the nearest part of BC is
over 1,600 miles (2,600 km) away.

> * F. Canadian Literary Magazines

> F1. Canada's longest-running literary journal (since 1945),
> it """is""" published four times a year at the University
> of New Brunswick.

"The Fiddlehead". (Still true.)

> F2. This literary periodical began in 1970 as a mimeograph
> and """has""" evolved into a quarterly journal publishing
> new and established contemporary writers and visual artists
> from Canada and around the world. Their """most recent"""
> issue is a tribute to Timothy Findley.

"Descant". (It ended in 2015.)

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAME 7 ROUNDS-> 2 3 4 6 7 8 9 10 BEST
TOPICS-> Spo Sci His Lit Geo His Ent Can SIX
Joshua Kreitzer 4 28 12 20 38 31 32 8 161
Dan Blum 0 28 20 40 20 8 24 8 140
Dan Tilque 4 40 4 36 28 8 12 11 135
Erland Sommarskog 7 39 8 4 32 4 8 4 98
Pete Gayde 8 4 8 8 11 16 16 12 71

--
Mark Brader | We don't have "m"s in Florida. If it can't be measured
Toronto | in inches and feet, we don't measure it.

Erland Sommarskog

Jan 26, 2021, 2:32:20 PM1/26/21
Mark Brader (m...@vex.net) writes:
>> 10. This band's original name was the politer form of a popular
>> obscenity; but even this softer form this wasn't enough for
>> their record company, who insisted that they add two more words,
>> producing a name that alludes to a well-known aphorism.
>
> The Mothers of Invention. 4 for Joshua.

This is kind of embarrassing, given that I've always been a big fan
of Frank Zappa. I knew the story that they had to add two words, but
I think I have missing out "politer form of a popular obscenity"
all through the years, and it was there I lead astray. As if not
obscenities itself is a lead that we are talking about Frank Zappa!