QFTCIUA19 Game 9, Rounds 9-10: shot here, "this date"

Mark Brader

Sep 17, 2019, 4:25:32 AM9/17/19
These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2019-07-22,
and should be interpreted accordingly.

Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
the correct answers in about 3 days.

All questions were written by members of Unnatural Axxxe and are
used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have
been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information see
my 2019-01-22 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

** Game 9, Round 9 - Canadiana Entertainment - Shot in Toronto

This round is about *our* Hollywood North, not the one claimed by
those usurpers in Vancouver in the last game. All of these movies
were shot at least partly in Toronto. In each case we give the
release date and describe the movie, and you name it.

1. 2002: An Oscar-winning American crime comedy-drama musical
starring Richard Gere and Catherine Zeta Jones.

2. 2007: A musical romantic comedy starring John Travolta, based
on a 2002 Broadway musical, which was based in turn on a 1988
John Waters movie.

3. 1999: Directed by Adam Rifkin, this movie tells the story of
four teenaged boys in a Kiss tribute band trying to see their
heroes play in Detroit.

4. 1987: This American romantic comedy directed by Norman Jewison
is about a widowed, 37-year-old, Italian-American woman who
falls in love with her fiance's estranged, hot-tempered younger
brother.

5. 2017: An Oscar-winning science-fiction romance written and
directed by Guillermo del Toro.

6. 2005: This family comedy movie starring Vin Diesel is the story
of a Navy SEAL looking for a secret project called GHOST while
acting as a nanny for 5 children.

7. 1984: This police movie starring Steve Guttenberg and Kim
Cattrall would spawn 6 sequels.

8. 2010: this movie, starring Michael Cera, was based on a series
of graphic novels by Bryan Lee O'Malley. It tells the story
of a slacker musician who must fight the seven evil exes of
his new girlfriend.

9. 1997: A drama starring Robin Williams and Matt Damon, which tells
the story of a South Boston janitor who is an unrecognized
genius.

10. 1988: this David Cronenberg psychological horror movie stars
Jeremy Irons as identical twin gynecologists.

** Game 9, Round 10 - Challenge Round - The Birthday Boys

Two of Axxxe's own, Jim and B.J., have birthdays this week --
July 24 and 26 respectively. So, here's a challenge round that
hinges, not on July 22, but on those dates.

* A. History on "This Date"

A1. This European country celebrates both Liberation Day on May 5
and Independence Day on July 26, the latter to commemorate
the rejection in 1581 of the rule of King Philip II.
Name that country.

A2. On 1865-07-26, Wellington was declared the capital of
New Zealand. What city was the previous capital?

* B. Mick Jagger (born 1943-07-26)

B1. In 1967, William Rees-Mogg, editor of the London "Times",
wrote an editorial titled "Who Breaks a Butterfly on
a Wheel?" The line is from Alexander Pope, but what was
the *subject* of the editorial?

B2. Please decode the rot13 only after you have finished with
the previous question. Guvf fvatre, gura Zvpx Wnttre'f
tveysevraq, jnf snzbhfyl qerffrq bayl va n she eht qhevat
uvf 1967 neerfg. Lrnef yngre, ba ure nyohz Oebxra Ratyvfu,
gur pnhfgvp fbat Jul'q Lbh Qb Vg? jnf haqrefgbbq gb or
qverpgrq ng uvz sbe orvat n onq oblsevraq. Anzr ure.

* C. "Honest Ed" Mirvish (born 1914-07-24)

C1. Every year from 1987 until the store's demolition, Honest
Ed's had a Christmas season giveaway of 10,000 what?

C2. In 1993, Ed and his theatrically-minded son David opened
the Princess of Wales Theatre in Toronto's King St. theater
district. What mega-musical opened the joint?

* D. Baseball on "This Date"

D1. On 1983-07-24, a game-winning home run was wiped away in
what was known as "the pine tar incident". Name the player
who was accused of doctoring his bat.

D2. On 1992-07-26, this Hall of Fame pitcher set what is
considered an unbeatable record of 23 straight seasons
striking out more than 100 batters -- and he then extended
it to 24 seasons in 1993, for a new unbeatable record.
Name him.

* E. Disasters on "This Date"

E1. On 2013-07-24, a high-speed train in Europe approached an
80 km/h curve at 190 km/h, and the resulting derailment
killed 78 people. In which country did this disaster occur?

E2. On 2005-07-26, a natural disaster occurred in Mumbai,
eventually killing more than 5,000 people. What was it?

* F. Writers Born on "This Date"

F1. Born on 1900-07-24, she was an emblematic figure of the Jazz
Age. Her author husband publicly accused her of plagiarizing
her only novel, "Save Me the Waltz", from his own upcoming
book, "Tender is the Night". Name her -- first and last
name.

F2. This author, born on 1894-07-26, wrote more than 50 books.
One of them, "The Doors of Perception", inspired the name
of the band the Doors. Name him.

--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "Dystypsia."
m...@vex.net | --Michael Wares gives the reason for a typo

Dan Blum

Sep 17, 2019, 11:18:50 AM9/17/19
Mark Brader <m...@vex.net> wrote:

> ** Game 9, Round 9 - Canadiana Entertainment - Shot in Toronto

> 1. 2002: An Oscar-winning American crime comedy-drama musical
> starring Richard Gere and Catherine Zeta Jones.

Chicago

> 2. 2007: A musical romantic comedy starring John Travolta, based
> on a 2002 Broadway musical, which was based in turn on a 1988
> John Waters movie.

Hairspray

> 4. 1987: This American romantic comedy directed by Norman Jewison
> is about a widowed, 37-year-old, Italian-American woman who
> falls in love with her fiance's estranged, hot-tempered younger
> brother.

Moonstruck

> 5. 2017: An Oscar-winning science-fiction romance written and
> directed by Guillermo del Toro.

The Shape of Water

> 7. 1984: This police movie starring Steve Guttenberg and Kim
> Cattrall would spawn 6 sequels.

Police Academy

> 8. 2010: this movie, starring Michael Cera, was based on a series
> of graphic novels by Bryan Lee O'Malley. It tells the story
> of a slacker musician who must fight the seven evil exes of
> his new girlfriend.

Scott Pilgrim vs. the World

> 9. 1997: A drama starring Robin Williams and Matt Damon, which tells
> the story of a South Boston janitor who is an unrecognized
> genius.

Good Will Hunting

> 10. 1988: this David Cronenberg psychological horror movie stars
> Jeremy Irons as identical twin gynecologists.

Dead Ringer

> ** Game 9, Round 10 - Challenge Round - The Birthday Boys

> * A. History on "This Date"

> A1. This European country celebrates both Liberation Day on May 5
> and Independence Day on July 26, the latter to commemorate
> the rejection in 1581 of the rule of King Philip II.
> Name that country.

Netherlands

> A2. On 1865-07-26, Wellington was declared the capital of
> New Zealand. What city was the previous capital?

Christchurch; Auckland

> * B. Mick Jagger (born 1943-07-26)

> * D. Baseball on "This Date"

> D2. On 1992-07-26, this Hall of Fame pitcher set what is
> considered an unbeatable record of 23 straight seasons
> striking out more than 100 batters -- and he then extended
> it to 24 seasons in 1993, for a new unbeatable record.
> Name him.

Nolan Ryan

> * E. Disasters on "This Date"

> E2. On 2005-07-26, a natural disaster occurred in Mumbai,
> eventually killing more than 5,000 people. What was it?

earthquake; flood

> * F. Writers Born on "This Date"

> F1. Born on 1900-07-24, she was an emblematic figure of the Jazz
> Age. Her author husband publicly accused her of plagiarizing
> her only novel, "Save Me the Waltz", from his own upcoming
> book, "Tender is the Night". Name her -- first and last
> name.

Zelda Fitzgerald

> F2. This author, born on 1894-07-26, wrote more than 50 books.
> One of them, "The Doors of Perception", inspired the name
> of the band the Doors. Name him.

Koestler

Dan Blum to...@panix.com

Erland Sommarskog

Sep 17, 2019, 2:23:47 PM9/17/19
Mark Brader (m...@vex.net) writes:
> * A. History on "This Date"
>
> A1. This European country celebrates both Liberation Day on May 5
> and Independence Day on July 26, the latter to commemorate
> the rejection in 1581 of the rule of King Philip II.
> Name that country.

Netherlands

> A2. On 1865-07-26, Wellington was declared the capital of
> New Zealand. What city was the previous capital?

Auckland

> B2. Please decode the rot13 only after you have finished with
> the previous question. Guvf fvatre, gura Zvpx Wnttre'f
> tveysevraq, jnf snzbhfyl qerffrq bayl va n she eht qhevat
> uvf 1967 neerfg. Lrnef yngre, ba ure nyohz Oebxra Ratyvfu,
> gur pnhfgvp fbat Jul'q Lbh Qb Vg? jnf haqrefgbbq gb or
> qverpgrq ng uvz sbe orvat n onq oblsevraq. Anzr ure.

Marianne Faithful

> * E. Disasters on "This Date"
>
> E1. On 2013-07-24, a high-speed train in Europe approached an
> 80 km/h curve at 190 km/h, and the resulting derailment
> killed 78 people. In which country did this disaster occur?

Spain (In Santiago de Compostela, if memory serves.)

> E2. On 2005-07-26, a natural disaster occurred in Mumbai,
> eventually killing more than 5,000 people. What was it?

Flooding

Calvin

Sep 17, 2019, 7:18:01 PM9/17/19
On Tuesday, September 17, 2019 at 6:25:32 PM UTC+10, Mark Brader wrote:

> ** Game 9, Round 9 - Canadiana Entertainment - Shot in Toronto
>
> This round is about *our* Hollywood North, not the one claimed by
> those usurpers in Vancouver in the last game. All of these movies
> were shot at least partly in Toronto. In each case we give the
> release date and describe the movie, and you name it.
>
> 1. 2002: An Oscar-winning American crime comedy-drama musical
> starring Richard Gere and Catherine Zeta Jones.

Chicago

> 2. 2007: A musical romantic comedy starring John Travolta, based
> on a 2002 Broadway musical, which was based in turn on a 1988
> John Waters movie.

Hairspray

> 3. 1999: Directed by Adam Rifkin, this movie tells the story of
> four teenaged boys in a Kiss tribute band trying to see their
> heroes play in Detroit.
>
> 4. 1987: This American romantic comedy directed by Norman Jewison
> is about a widowed, 37-year-old, Italian-American woman who
> falls in love with her fiance's estranged, hot-tempered younger
> brother.
>
> 5. 2017: An Oscar-winning science-fiction romance written and
> directed by Guillermo del Toro.
>
> 6. 2005: This family comedy movie starring Vin Diesel is the story
> of a Navy SEAL looking for a secret project called GHOST while
> acting as a nanny for 5 children.
>
> 7. 1984: This police movie starring Steve Guttenberg and Kim
> Cattrall would spawn 6 sequels.

Police Academy

> 8. 2010: this movie, starring Michael Cera, was based on a series
> of graphic novels by Bryan Lee O'Malley. It tells the story
> of a slacker musician who must fight the seven evil exes of
> his new girlfriend.
>
> 9. 1997: A drama starring Robin Williams and Matt Damon, which tells
> the story of a South Boston janitor who is an unrecognized
> genius.

Good Will Hunting

> 10. 1988: this David Cronenberg psychological horror movie stars
> Jeremy Irons as identical twin gynecologists.
>

> ** Game 9, Round 10 - Challenge Round - The Birthday Boys
>
> Two of Axxxe's own, Jim and B.J., have birthdays this week --
> July 24 and 26 respectively. So, here's a challenge round that
> hinges, not on July 22, but on those dates.
>
> * A. History on "This Date"
>
> A1. This European country celebrates both Liberation Day on May 5
> and Independence Day on July 26, the latter to commemorate
> the rejection in 1581 of the rule of King Philip II.
> Name that country.

Portugal, Andorra

> A2. On 1865-07-26, Wellington was declared the capital of
> New Zealand. What city was the previous capital?

Auckland, Christchurch

> * B. Mick Jagger (born 1943-07-26)
>
> B1. In 1967, William Rees-Mogg, editor of the London "Times",
> wrote an editorial titled "Who Breaks a Butterfly on
> a Wheel?" The line is from Alexander Pope, but what was
> the *subject* of the editorial?
>
> B2. Please decode the rot13 only after you have finished with
> the previous question. Guvf fvatre, gura Zvpx Wnttre'f
> tveysevraq, jnf snzbhfyl qerffrq bayl va n she eht qhevat
> uvf 1967 neerfg. Lrnef yngre, ba ure nyohz Oebxra Ratyvfu,
> gur pnhfgvp fbat Jul'q Lbh Qb Vg? jnf haqrefgbbq gb or
> qverpgrq ng uvz sbe orvat n onq oblsevraq. Anzr ure.

Faithful

> * C. "Honest Ed" Mirvish (born 1914-07-24)
>
> C1. Every year from 1987 until the store's demolition, Honest
> Ed's had a Christmas season giveaway of 10,000 what?
>
> C2. In 1993, Ed and his theatrically-minded son David opened
> the Princess of Wales Theatre in Toronto's King St. theater
> district. What mega-musical opened the joint?

Les Mis, Phantom

> * D. Baseball on "This Date"
>
> D1. On 1983-07-24, a game-winning home run was wiped away in
> what was known as "the pine tar incident". Name the player
> who was accused of doctoring his bat.
>
> D2. On 1992-07-26, this Hall of Fame pitcher set what is
> considered an unbeatable record of 23 straight seasons
> striking out more than 100 batters -- and he then extended
> it to 24 seasons in 1993, for a new unbeatable record.
> Name him.

Ryan

> * E. Disasters on "This Date"
>
> E1. On 2013-07-24, a high-speed train in Europe approached an
> 80 km/h curve at 190 km/h, and the resulting derailment
> killed 78 people. In which country did this disaster occur?

Italy

> E2. On 2005-07-26, a natural disaster occurred in Mumbai,
> eventually killing more than 5,000 people. What was it?

Flood, landslide

> * F. Writers Born on "This Date"
>
> F1. Born on 1900-07-24, she was an emblematic figure of the Jazz
> Age. Her author husband publicly accused her of plagiarizing
> her only novel, "Save Me the Waltz", from his own upcoming
> book, "Tender is the Night". Name her -- first and last
> name.
>
> F2. This author, born on 1894-07-26, wrote more than 50 books.
> One of them, "The Doors of Perception", inspired the name
> of the band the Doors. Name him.

Eliot

cheers,
calvin

Joshua Kreitzer

Sep 17, 2019, 9:07:22 PM9/17/19
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:7rednUpqvMzqBR3AnZ2dnUU7-
bfN...@giganews.com:

> ** Game 9, Round 9 - Canadiana Entertainment - Shot in Toronto
>
> All of these movies
> were shot at least partly in Toronto. In each case we give the
> release date and describe the movie, and you name it.
>
> 1. 2002: An Oscar-winning American crime comedy-drama musical
> starring Richard Gere and Catherine Zeta Jones.

"Chicago"

> 2. 2007: A musical romantic comedy starring John Travolta, based
> on a 2002 Broadway musical, which was based in turn on a 1988
> John Waters movie.

"Hairspray"

> 3. 1999: Directed by Adam Rifkin, this movie tells the story of
> four teenaged boys in a Kiss tribute band trying to see their
> heroes play in Detroit.

"Detroit Rock City"

> 4. 1987: This American romantic comedy directed by Norman Jewison
> is about a widowed, 37-year-old, Italian-American woman who
> falls in love with her fiance's estranged, hot-tempered younger
> brother.

"Moonstruck"

> 5. 2017: An Oscar-winning science-fiction romance written and
> directed by Guillermo del Toro.

"The Shape of Water"

> 7. 1984: This police movie starring Steve Guttenberg and Kim
> Cattrall would spawn 6 sequels.

"Police Academy"

> 8. 2010: this movie, starring Michael Cera, was based on a series
> of graphic novels by Bryan Lee O'Malley. It tells the story
> of a slacker musician who must fight the seven evil exes of
> his new girlfriend.

"Scott Pilgrim vs. the World"

> 9. 1997: A drama starring Robin Williams and Matt Damon, which tells
> the story of a South Boston janitor who is an unrecognized
> genius.

"Good Will Hunting"

> 10. 1988: this David Cronenberg psychological horror movie stars
> Jeremy Irons as identical twin gynecologists.

"Dead Ringers"

> ** Game 9, Round 10 - Challenge Round - The Birthday Boys
>
> * A. History on "This Date"
>
> A1. This European country celebrates both Liberation Day on May 5
> and Independence Day on July 26, the latter to commemorate
> the rejection in 1581 of the rule of King Philip II.
> Name that country.

Netherlands

> A2. On 1865-07-26, Wellington was declared the capital of
> New Zealand. What city was the previous capital?

Auckland

> * B. Mick Jagger (born 1943-07-26)
>
> B1. In 1967, William Rees-Mogg, editor of the London "Times",
> wrote an editorial titled "Who Breaks a Butterfly on
> a Wheel?" The line is from Alexander Pope, but what was
> the *subject* of the editorial?

drug charges against Jagger

> B2. Please decode the rot13 only after you have finished with
> the previous question. Guvf fvatre, gura Zvpx Wnttre'f
> tveysevraq, jnf snzbhfyl qerffrq bayl va n she eht qhevat
> uvf 1967 neerfg. Lrnef yngre, ba ure nyohz Oebxra Ratyvfu,
> gur pnhfgvp fbat Jul'q Lbh Qb Vg? jnf haqrefgbbq gb or
> qverpgrq ng uvz sbe orvat n onq oblsevraq. Anzr ure.

Marianne Faithfull

> * C. "Honest Ed" Mirvish (born 1914-07-24)
>
> C2. In 1993, Ed and his theatrically-minded son David opened
> the Princess of Wales Theatre in Toronto's King St. theater
> district. What mega-musical opened the joint?

"Miss Saigon"

> * D. Baseball on "This Date"
>
> D1. On 1983-07-24, a game-winning home run was wiped away in
> what was known as "the pine tar incident". Name the player
> who was accused of doctoring his bat.

Brett

> D2. On 1992-07-26, this Hall of Fame pitcher set what is
> considered an unbeatable record of 23 straight seasons
> striking out more than 100 batters -- and he then extended
> it to 24 seasons in 1993, for a new unbeatable record.
> Name him.

Ryan

> * F. Writers Born on "This Date"
>
> F1. Born on 1900-07-24, she was an emblematic figure of the Jazz
> Age. Her author husband publicly accused her of plagiarizing
> her only novel, "Save Me the Waltz", from his own upcoming
> book, "Tender is the Night". Name her -- first and last
> name.

Zelda Fitzgerald

> F2. This author, born on 1894-07-26, wrote more than 50 books.
> One of them, "The Doors of Perception", inspired the name
> of the band the Doors. Name him.

Huxley

--
Joshua Kreitzer
grom...@hotmail.com

Dan Tilque

Sep 18, 2019, 12:12:06 AM9/18/19
Netherlands

> A2. On 1865-07-26, Wellington was declared the capital of
> New Zealand. What city was the previous capital?

Aukland
France

> E2. On 2005-07-26, a natural disaster occurred in Mumbai,
> eventually killing more than 5,000 people. What was it?

cyclone

> * F. Writers Born on "This Date"
>
> F1. Born on 1900-07-24, she was an emblematic figure of the Jazz
> Age. Her author husband publicly accused her of plagiarizing
> her only novel, "Save Me the Waltz", from his own upcoming
> book, "Tender is the Night". Name her -- first and last
> name.
>
> F2. This author, born on 1894-07-26, wrote more than 50 books.
> One of them, "The Doors of Perception", inspired the name
> of the band the Doors. Name him.

--
Dan Tilque

Pete Gayde

Sep 18, 2019, 3:45:00 PM9/18/19
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:7rednUpqvMzqBR3AnZ2dnUU7-
bfN...@giganews.com:

> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2019-07-22,

> Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
> the correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of Unnatural Axxxe and are
> used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have
> been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information see
> my 2019-01-22 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>

> ** Game 9, Round 9 - Canadiana Entertainment - Shot in Toronto
>
> This round is about *our* Hollywood North, not the one claimed by
> those usurpers in Vancouver in the last game. All of these movies
> were shot at least partly in Toronto. In each case we give the
> release date and describe the movie, and you name it.
>
> 1. 2002: An Oscar-winning American crime comedy-drama musical
> starring Richard Gere and Catherine Zeta Jones.

Chicago

> 2. 2007: A musical romantic comedy starring John Travolta, based
> on a 2002 Broadway musical, which was based in turn on a 1988
> John Waters movie.

Hairspray

> 3. 1999: Directed by Adam Rifkin, this movie tells the story of
> four teenaged boys in a Kiss tribute band trying to see their
> heroes play in Detroit.
>
> 4. 1987: This American romantic comedy directed by Norman Jewison
> is about a widowed, 37-year-old, Italian-American woman who
> falls in love with her fiance's estranged, hot-tempered younger
> brother.

Moonstruck

> 5. 2017: An Oscar-winning science-fiction romance written and
> directed by Guillermo del Toro.

The Shape of Water

> 6. 2005: This family comedy movie starring Vin Diesel is the story
> of a Navy SEAL looking for a secret project called GHOST while
> acting as a nanny for 5 children.
>
> 7. 1984: This police movie starring Steve Guttenberg and Kim
> Cattrall would spawn 6 sequels.

Police Story

> 8. 2010: this movie, starring Michael Cera, was based on a series
> of graphic novels by Bryan Lee O'Malley. It tells the story
> of a slacker musician who must fight the seven evil exes of
> his new girlfriend.
>
> 9. 1997: A drama starring Robin Williams and Matt Damon, which tells
> the story of a South Boston janitor who is an unrecognized
> genius.

Good Will Hunting

> 10. 1988: this David Cronenberg psychological horror movie stars
> Jeremy Irons as identical twin gynecologists.
>

> ** Game 9, Round 10 - Challenge Round - The Birthday Boys
>
> Two of Axxxe's own, Jim and B.J., have birthdays this week --
> July 24 and 26 respectively. So, here's a challenge round that
> hinges, not on July 22, but on those dates.
>
> * A. History on "This Date"
>
> A1. This European country celebrates both Liberation Day on May 5
> and Independence Day on July 26, the latter to commemorate
> the rejection in 1581 of the rule of King Philip II.
> Name that country.

Portugal

> A2. On 1865-07-26, Wellington was declared the capital of
> New Zealand. What city was the previous capital?

Auckland; Napier

> * B. Mick Jagger (born 1943-07-26)
>
> B1. In 1967, William Rees-Mogg, editor of the London "Times",
> wrote an editorial titled "Who Breaks a Butterfly on
> a Wheel?" The line is from Alexander Pope, but what was
> the *subject* of the editorial?

Death of Brian Jones

> B2. Please decode the rot13 only after you have finished with
> the previous question. Guvf fvatre, gura Zvpx Wnttre'f
> tveysevraq, jnf snzbhfyl qerffrq bayl va n she eht qhevat
> uvf 1967 neerfg. Lrnef yngre, ba ure nyohz Oebxra Ratyvfu,
> gur pnhfgvp fbat Jul'q Lbh Qb Vg? jnf haqrefgbbq gb or
> qverpgrq ng uvz sbe orvat n onq oblsevraq. Anzr ure.

Marianne Faithful

> * C. "Honest Ed" Mirvish (born 1914-07-24)
>
> C1. Every year from 1987 until the store's demolition, Honest
> Ed's had a Christmas season giveaway of 10,000 what?

Toasters

> C2. In 1993, Ed and his theatrically-minded son David opened
> the Princess of Wales Theatre in Toronto's King St. theater
> district. What mega-musical opened the joint?

Cats; Phantom of the Opera

> * D. Baseball on "This Date"
>
> D1. On 1983-07-24, a game-winning home run was wiped away in
> what was known as "the pine tar incident". Name the player
> who was accused of doctoring his bat.

George Brett

> D2. On 1992-07-26, this Hall of Fame pitcher set what is
> considered an unbeatable record of 23 straight seasons
> striking out more than 100 batters -- and he then extended
> it to 24 seasons in 1993, for a new unbeatable record.
> Name him.

Nolan Ryan

> * E. Disasters on "This Date"
>
> E1. On 2013-07-24, a high-speed train in Europe approached an
> 80 km/h curve at 190 km/h, and the resulting derailment
> killed 78 people. In which country did this disaster occur?

Spain

> E2. On 2005-07-26, a natural disaster occurred in Mumbai,
> eventually killing more than 5,000 people. What was it?

Tsunami

> * F. Writers Born on "This Date"
>
> F1. Born on 1900-07-24, she was an emblematic figure of the Jazz
> Age. Her author husband publicly accused her of plagiarizing
> her only novel, "Save Me the Waltz", from his own upcoming
> book, "Tender is the Night". Name her -- first and last
> name.
>
> F2. This author, born on 1894-07-26, wrote more than 50 books.
> One of them, "The Doors of Perception", inspired the name
> of the band the Doors. Name him.

Jack London

Pete Gayde

Mark Brader

Sep 20, 2019, 2:05:42 AM9/20/19
Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2019-07-22,
> see my 2019-01-22 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

> ** Game 9, Round 9 - Canadiana Entertainment - Shot in Toronto

> This round is about *our* Hollywood North, not the one claimed by
> those usurpers in Vancouver in the last game. All of these movies
> were shot at least partly in Toronto. In each case we give the
> release date and describe the movie, and you name it.

In the original game the dates given were the date of filming.
I thought that was an unnecessary complication, so I changed it.

> 1. 2002: An Oscar-winning American crime comedy-drama musical
> starring Richard Gere and Catherine Zeta Jones.

"Chicago". 4 for Dan Blum, Calvin, Joshua, and Pete.

> 2. 2007: A musical romantic comedy starring John Travolta, based
> on a 2002 Broadway musical, which was based in turn on a 1988
> John Waters movie.

"Hairspray". 4 for Dan Blum, Calvin, Joshua, and Pete.

> 3. 1999: Directed by Adam Rifkin, this movie tells the story of
> four teenaged boys in a Kiss tribute band trying to see their
> heroes play in Detroit.

"Detroit Rock City". 4 for Joshua.

> 4. 1987: This American romantic comedy directed by Norman Jewison
> is about a widowed, 37-year-old, Italian-American woman who
> falls in love with her fiance's estranged, hot-tempered younger
> brother.

"Moonstruck". 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua, and Pete.

> 5. 2017: An Oscar-winning science-fiction romance written and
> directed by Guillermo del Toro.

"The Shape of Water". 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua, and Pete.

> 6. 2005: This family comedy movie starring Vin Diesel is the story
> of a Navy SEAL looking for a secret project called GHOST while
> acting as a nanny for 5 children.

"The Pacifier".

> 7. 1984: This police movie starring Steve Guttenberg and Kim
> Cattrall would spawn 6 sequels.

"Police Academy". 4 for Dan Blum, Calvin, and Joshua.

> 8. 2010: this movie, starring Michael Cera, was based on a series
> of graphic novels by Bryan Lee O'Malley. It tells the story
> of a slacker musician who must fight the seven evil exes of
> his new girlfriend.

"Scott Pilgrim vs. the World". 4 for Dan Blum and Joshua.

> 9. 1997: A drama starring Robin Williams and Matt Damon, which tells
> the story of a South Boston janitor who is an unrecognized
> genius.

"Good Will Hunting". 4 for Dan Blum, Calvin, Joshua, and Pete.

> 10. 1988: this David Cronenberg psychological horror movie stars
> Jeremy Irons as identical twin gynecologists.

"Dead Ringers". 4 for Dan Blum and Joshua.

> ** Game 9, Round 10 - Challenge Round - The Birthday Boys

> Two of Axxxe's own, Jim and B.J., have birthdays this week --
> July 24 and 26 respectively. So, here's a challenge round that
> hinges, not on July 22, but on those dates.

The same week as the original game, "Jeopardy!" had a category "On
this day: July 26". But, if you can imagine, they actually waited
until it *was* July 26 to show it -- incidentally on the last show
of the season. Anyway, their category had no overlap with our round.

> * A. History on "This Date"

> A1. This European country celebrates both Liberation Day on May 5
> and Independence Day on July 26, the latter to commemorate
> the rejection in 1581 of the rule of King Philip II.
> Name that country.

Netherlands (accepting Holland). 4 for Dan Blum, Erland, Joshua,
and Dan Tilque.

> A2. On 1865-07-26, Wellington was declared the capital of
> New Zealand. What city was the previous capital?

Auckland. 4 for Erland, Joshua, and Dan Tilque. 3 for Calvin
and Pete. 2 for Dan Blum.

> * B. Mick Jagger (born 1943-07-26)

> B1. In 1967, William Rees-Mogg, editor of the London "Times",
> wrote an editorial titled "Who Breaks a Butterfly on
> a Wheel?" The line is from Alexander Pope, but what was
> the *subject* of the editorial?

Jagger's harsh 3-month sentence for drug possession. 3 for Joshua.

The drugs in question were a small quantity of stimulants which
did not require a prescription in Italy, where he'd bought them,
but did in England. The sentence was overturned on appeal.

> B2. Please decode the rot13 only after you have finished with
> the previous question. This singer, then Mick Jagger's
> girlfriend, was famously dressed only in a fur rug during
> his 1967 arrest. Years later, on her album Broken English,
> the caustic song Why'd You Do It? was understood to be
> directed at him for being a bad boyfriend. Name her.

Marianne Faithfull. 4 for Erland, Calvin, Joshua, and Pete.

> * C. "Honest Ed" Mirvish (born 1914-07-24)

> C1. Every year from 1987 until the store's demolition, Honest
> Ed's had a Christmas season giveaway of 10,000 what?

Turkeys.

> C2. In 1993, Ed and his theatrically-minded son David opened
> the Princess of Wales Theatre in Toronto's King St. theater
> district. What mega-musical opened the joint?

"Miss Saigon". 4 for Joshua.

> * D. Baseball on "This Date"

> D1. On 1983-07-24, a game-winning home run was wiped away in
> what was known as "the pine tar incident". Name the player
> who was accused of doctoring his bat.

George Brett. 4 for Joshua and Pete.

> D2. On 1992-07-26, this Hall of Fame pitcher set what is
> considered an unbeatable record of 23 straight seasons
> striking out more than 100 batters -- and he then extended
> it to 24 seasons in 1993, for a new unbeatable record.
> Name him.

Nolan Ryan. 4 for Dan Blum, Calvin, Joshua, and Pete.

> * E. Disasters on "This Date"

> E1. On 2013-07-24, a high-speed train in Europe approached an
> 80 km/h curve at 190 km/h, and the resulting derailment
> killed 78 people. In which country did this disaster occur?

Spain. (At Santiago de Compostela.) 4 for Erland and Pete.

> E2. On 2005-07-26, a natural disaster occurred in Mumbai,
> eventually killing more than 5,000 people. What was it?

Flooding due to torrential rain. 4 for Erland. 3 for Calvin.
2 for Dan Blum.

> * F. Writers Born on "This Date"

> F1. Born on 1900-07-24, she was an emblematic figure of the Jazz
> Age. Her author husband publicly accused her of plagiarizing
> her only novel, "Save Me the Waltz", from his own upcoming
> book, "Tender is the Night". Name her -- first and last
> name.

Zelda Fitzgerald. 4 for Dan Blum and Joshua.

> F2. This author, born on 1894-07-26, wrote more than 50 books.
> One of them, "The Doors of Perception", inspired the name
> of the band the Doors. Name him.

Aldous Huxley. 4 for Joshua.

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAME 9 ROUNDS-> 2 3 4 6 7 8 9 10 BEST
TOPICS-> Lit Geo His Ent Mis Spo Can Cha SIX
Joshua Kreitzer 31 28 36 28 35 36 36 35 209
Dan Blum 22 39 30 20 24 31 32 16 178
Pete Gayde 8 34 30 8 23 20 20 19 146
"Calvin" 18 25 29 20 20 32 16 14 144
Dan Tilque 12 24 32 0 24 20 0 8 120
Bruce Bowler 8 24 36 4 20 19 -- -- 111
Erland Sommarskog 0 20 20 0 8 20 0 20 88

--
Mark Brader, Toronto | This is Programming as a True Art Form, where style
m...@vex.net | is more important than correctness... --Pontus Hedman

Mark Brader

Sep 20, 2019, 2:09:16 AM9/20/19
Mark Brader:
> > These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2019-07-22,
> > and should be interpreted accordingly... For further information
> > see my 2019-01-22 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> > Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

Sorry, I momentarily forgot that this was the last set of Game 9.
Hearty congratulations to JOSHUA KREITZER, who has won another one!

--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "We are geeks. Resistance is voltage over current."
m...@vex.net | --Greg Goss