Calvin's Quiz #548

Calvin

Dec 16, 2018, 6:13:46 PM12/16/18

1 Which Spanish artist painted 'The 3rd of May' (1808)?
2 What thick, close-fitting double-breasted jacket is popular with sailors?
3 What is the name of a large, two-handed Scottish sword? It was also the nickname of the defunct Scottish team in NFL Europe.
4 Which 2014 Wes Anderson film set in the fictional Republic of Zubrowka between the Wars won four Oscars, though not Best Picture?
5 The Man in the Yellow Hat owns which children's book and TV title character?
6 What piece of office equipment is Pixar film studio’s mascot, Luxo Jr.?
7 It is now more broadly applied in business, but which two-word term originally referred to a manufacturing improvement process in which 99.99966% of products were expected to be free of defects?
8 Which country held a referendum on 30th September 2018 concerning EU and NATO membership?
9 Fondant is a variety of which foodstuff?
10 By what collective name are Balthasar, Melchior and Caspar (or Gaspar) better known?

cheers,
calvin

Dan Blum

Dec 16, 2018, 7:16:39 PM12/16/18
Calvin <334...@gmail.com> wrote:

> 1 Which Spanish artist painted 'The 3rd of May' (1808)?

Goya

> 2 What thick, close-fitting double-breasted jacket is popular with sailors?

peacoat

> 3 What is the name of a large, two-handed Scottish sword? It was also the nickname of the defunct Scottish team in NFL Europe.

claymore

> 4 Which 2014 Wes Anderson film set in the fictional Republic of Zubrowka between the Wars won four Oscars, though not Best Picture?

The Grand Budapest Hotel

> 5 The Man in the Yellow Hat owns which children's book and TV title character?

Curious George

> 6 What piece of office equipment is Pixar film studio???s mascot, Luxo Jr.?

desk lamp

> 7 It is now more broadly applied in business, but which two-word term originally referred to a manufacturing improvement process in which 99.99966% of products were expected to be free of defects?

Six Sigma

> 8 Which country held a referendum on 30th September 2018 concerning EU and NATO membership?

Austria

> 9 Fondant is a variety of which foodstuff?

cake icing

> 10 By what collective name are Balthasar, Melchior and Caspar??(or??Gaspar) better known?

Three Wise Men

Dan Blum to...@panix.com

Mark Brader

Dec 16, 2018, 11:59:54 PM12/16/18
Calvin:
> 1 Which Spanish artist painted 'The 3rd of May' (1808)?

Well, I only know two pre-20th-century Spanish artists... I'll try
El Greco.

> 2 What thick, close-fitting double-breasted jacket is popular
> with sailors?

Sailor suit?

> 3 What is the name of a large, two-handed Scottish sword? It was
> also the nickname of the defunct Scottish team in NFL Europe.

Claymore.

> 4 Which 2014 Wes Anderson film set in the fictional Republic of
> Zubrowka between the Wars won four Oscars, though not Best

I saw one of his once, and it wasn't that one. I'll try The Grand
Budapest Hotel, even though Budapest isn't in a fictional country.

> Picture?
> 5 The Man in the Yellow Hat owns which children's book and TV
> title character?

The Cat in the Hat?

> 6 What piece of office equipment is Pixar film studio's mascot,
> Luxo Jr.?

Desk lamp.

> 7 It is now more broadly applied in business, but which two-word
> term originally referred to a manufacturing improvement process
> in which 99.99966% of products were expected to be free of
> defects?

Zero defects.

> 8 Which country held a referendum on 30th September 2018
> concerning EU and NATO membership?

Poland?

> 9 Fondant is a variety of which foodstuff?

Cheese.

> 10 By what collective name are Balthasar, Melchior and
> Caspar (or Gaspar) better known?

The three wise men, or the magi.
--
Mark Brader, Toronto "But I do't have a '' key o my termial."
m...@vex.net -- Lynn Gold

Pete Gayde

Dec 17, 2018, 12:53:02 AM12/17/18
Calvin <334...@gmail.com> wrote in

> 1 Which Spanish artist painted 'The 3rd of May' (1808)?

Goya

> 2 What thick, close-fitting double-breasted jacket is popular with
> sailors?

Peacoat

> 3 What is the name of a large, two-handed Scottish sword?
> It was also the nickname of the defunct Scottish team in NFL Europe.

Claymore

> 4 Which 2014 Wes Anderson film set in the fictional Republic of
> Zubrowka between the Wars won four Oscars, though not Best Picture?
> 5 The Man in the Yellow Hat owns which children's book and TV
> title character?

Curious George

> 6 What piece of office equipment is Pixar film
> studio’s mascot, Luxo Jr.?

Lamp

> 7 It is now more broadly applied in
> business, but which two-word term originally referred to a
> manufacturing improvement process in which 99.99966% of products were
> expected to be free of defects?
> 8 Which country held a referendum
> on 30th September 2018 concerning EU and NATO membership?

Slovenia

> 9 Fondant is a variety of which foodstuff?

Cake icing

> 10 By what collective
> name are Balthasar, Melchior and Caspar (or Gaspar) better known?

Magi

> cheers,
> calvin

Pete Gayde

Bruce Bowler

Dec 17, 2018, 9:29:18 AM12/17/18
On Sun, 16 Dec 2018 15:13:45 -0800, Calvin wrote:

> 1 Which Spanish artist painted 'The 3rd of May' (1808)?
> 2 What thick, close-fitting double-breasted jacket is popular with
> sailors?

Pea Coat

> 3 What is the name of a large, two-handed Scottish sword? It was
also
> the nickname of the defunct Scottish team in NFL Europe.

Claymore

> 4 Which 2014 Wes Anderson film set in the fictional Republic of
Zubrowka
> between the Wars won four Oscars, though not Best Picture?
> 5 The Man in the Yellow Hat owns which children's book and TV title
> character?

Curious George

> 6 What piece of office equipment is Pixar film studio’s mascot, Luxo
> Jr.?

A desk lamp

> 7 It is now more broadly applied in business, but which two-word
term
> originally referred to a manufacturing improvement process in which
> 99.99966% of products were expected to be free of defects?

six sigma

> 8 Which country held a referendum on 30th September 2018
concerning EU
> and NATO membership?
> 9 Fondant is a variety of which foodstuff?

Cake "frosting"

> 10 By what collective name are Balthasar, Melchior and
> Caspar (or Gaspar) better known?

The Three Wise Men

> cheers,
> calvin

Erland Sommarskog

Dec 17, 2018, 3:23:47 PM12/17/18
Calvin (334...@gmail.com) writes:
> 1 Which Spanish artist painted 'The 3rd of May' (1808)?

Goya

> 4 Which 2014 Wes Anderson film set in the fictional Republic of
> Zubrowka between the Wars won four Oscars, though not Best Picture?

Grand Hotel Budapest

> 6 What piece of office equipment is Pixar film studio?s mascot, Luxo
> Jr.?

Pen

> 8 Which country held a referendum on 30th September 2018 concerning
> EU and NATO membership?

That sounds like (North) Macedonia, although I don't think the member-
ship was the centrepiece of that referendum (although it appear on the
bill.)

> 9 Fondant is a variety of which foodstuff?

Sauce

> 10 By what collective name are Balthasar, Melchior and
> Caspar (or Gaspar) better known?

The Three Wise Men

Erland Sommarskog

Dec 17, 2018, 3:27:09 PM12/17/18
Mark Brader (m...@vex.net) writes:
>> 4 Which 2014 Wes Anderson film set in the fictional Republic of
>> Zubrowka between the Wars won four Oscars, though not Best
>
> I saw one of his once, and it wasn't that one. I'll try The Grand
> Budapest Hotel, even though Budapest isn't in a fictional country.

But that was only the name of the hotel!

The actual building, by the way, is in Görlitz in Germany. It used to
be a department store, but it was closed when I was there. But I think
the plan were to re-open it.

Mark Brader

Dec 17, 2018, 3:31:46 PM12/17/18
Mark Brader:
> > I saw one of his once, and it wasn't that one. I'll try The Grand
> > Budapest Hotel, even though Budapest isn't in a fictional country.

Erland Sommarskog:
> But that was only the name of the hotel!

That's what I was hoping, of course.
--
Mark Brader First, the next time you buy a house, get one that
m...@vex.net costs exactly $100,000. It makes the math easier.

Dan Tilque

Dec 18, 2018, 3:06:11 AM12/18/18
Calvin wrote:
> 1 Which Spanish artist painted 'The 3rd of May' (1808)?
> 2 What thick, close-fitting double-breasted jacket is popular with sailors?

Pea coat

> 3 What is the name of a large, two-handed Scottish sword? It was also the nickname of the defunct Scottish team in NFL Europe.

claymore

> 4 Which 2014 Wes Anderson film set in the fictional Republic of Zubrowka between the Wars won four Oscars, though not Best Picture?
> 5 The Man in the Yellow Hat owns which children's book and TV title character?
> 6 What piece of office equipment is Pixar film studio’s mascot, Luxo Jr.?
> 7 It is now more broadly applied in business, but which two-word term originally referred to a manufacturing improvement process in which 99.99966% of products were expected to be free of defects?

six sigma

> 8 Which country held a referendum on 30th September 2018 concerning EU and NATO membership?
> 9 Fondant is a variety of which foodstuff?

cheese

> 10 By what collective name are Balthasar, Melchior and Caspar (or Gaspar) better known?

three wise men (or magi)

--
Dan Tilque

Calvin

Dec 20, 2018, 8:27:08 PM12/20/18
On Monday, December 17, 2018 at 9:13:46 AM UTC+10, Calvin wrote:

> 1 Which Spanish artist painted 'The 3rd of May' (1808)?

Francisco de Goya

> 2 What thick, close-fitting double-breasted jacket is popular with sailors?

Reefer or Peacoat

> 3 What is the name of a large, two-handed Scottish sword? It was also the nickname of the defunct Scottish team in NFL Europe.

Claymore

> 4 Which 2014 Wes Anderson film set in the fictional Republic of Zubrowka between the Wars won four Oscars, though not Best Picture?

Grand Budapest Hotel

> 5 The Man in the Yellow Hat owns which children's book and TV title character?

Curious George

> 6 What piece of office equipment is Pixar film studio’s mascot, Luxo Jr.?

[Desk] Lamp

> 7 It is now more broadly applied in business, but which two-word term originally referred to a manufacturing improvement process in which 99.99966% of products were expected to be free of defects?

Six Sigma

> 8 Which country held a referendum on 30th September 2018 concerning EU and NATO membership?

North/FYRO Macedonia

> 9 Fondant is a variety of which foodstuff?

Icing (or similar)

> 10 By what collective name are Balthasar, Melchior and Caspar (or Gaspar) better known?

3 Wise Man / Maji

Q1 Q2 Q3 Q4 Q5 Q6 Q7 Q8 Q9 Q10 TOTAL TB Quiz 548
1 1 1 1 1 1 1 0 1 1 9 35 Dan Blum
0 1 1 0 1 1 1 0 1 1 7 28 Bruce Bowler
1 0 1 1 0 1 1 0 1 1 7 29 Pete Gayde
0 1 1 1 0 1 0 0 0 1 5 23 Mark Brader
1 0 0 1 0 0 0 1 0 1 4 14 Erland S
0 1 1 0 0 0 1 0 0 1 4 19 Dan Tilque
- - - - - - - - - - --- ----------
3 4 5 4 2 4 4 1 3 6 36 60%

Congratulations Dan B. CQ is now on summer recess and will return mid-January. Merry Christmas all.

cheers,
calvin

Calvin

Dec 20, 2018, 8:30:29 PM12/20/18
On Monday, December 17, 2018 at 2:59:54 PM UTC+10, Mark Brader wrote:
> Calvin:
> > 1 Which Spanish artist painted 'The 3rd of May' (1808)?
>
> Well, I only know two pre-20th-century Spanish artists... I'll try
> El Greco.

This puts me in mind of the US Grant story. He was tone deaf and apparently knew only two tunes - one of them was ‘Yankee Doodle’, and the other wasn’t.

cheers,
calvin