QFTCI5EP Game 8, Rounds 2-3: cooking, Canbiz scandals

Mark Brader

Jul 19, 2017, 2:12:19 AM7/19/17
These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2017-03-13,
and should be interpreted accordingly.

Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
the correct answers in about 3 days.

All questions were written by members of 5 Easy Pieces and are
used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have
been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information see
my 2016-11-26 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

* Game 8, Round 2 - Miscellaneous - Cooking Terms

Given a description and the number of letters in the word, provide
the appropriate cooking term.

1. To immerse in rapidly boiling water and allow to cook slightly
(6 letters).

2. To sprinkle or coat with flour or other fine substance
(6 letters).

3. To douse in some form of potable alcohol and set alight
(6 letters).

4. From a French word referring to a surface burnt brown; used
to describe any oven-baked dish on which a golden brown crust
of bread crumbs or creamy sauce is formed (6 letters).

5. To make solid fat into liquid by melting it slowly (6 letters).

6. To secure poultry with string or skewers to hold its shape
while cooking (5 letters).

7. To separate and remove solids from a liquid, thus making it clear
(7 letters).

8. To cut vegetables, fruit, or cheese into thin strips (8 letters).

9. To add liquid to the juices and brown bits on the surface of a
pan in which food has been fried, sautéed, or roasted and scrape
surface of pan over high heat,adding flavor to the liquid for
use as a sauce or gravy (7 letters).

10. To heat sugar in a pan in order to turn it brown and give it
a special taste (10 letters).

* Game 8, Round 3 - Canadiana - Canadian Business Scandals

This round is about Canadian companies that received bad press,
rightly or wrongly, for some aspect of their operations that ended
up in the public eye.

1. A report by the CBC-TV show "The Fifth Estate" stated in 1985
that the Conservative government approved a popular food item
for sale, even though there were health concerns. Two days
later a recall was ordered. What type of food was it?

2. Maple Leaf Foods had to recall cold cuts, issue an apology, and
pay out money in a class-action lawsuit because of an "outbreak"
of health problems its products caused. What health problems?

3. The Ontario Securities Commission issued penalties in 2003
against YBM Magnex, an alleged industrial magnet company that was
actually a front for the Russian mob. The company's chairman
of the board was reprimanded by the securities regulator.
He is also a former premier of Ontario. Who?

4. Bre-X Minerals, with its supposed gold deposit in Indonesia, is
considered one of the biggest Canadian mining stock market
frauds. The founder died of a brain aneurysm. The chief
geologist was acquitted on insider trading charges. Its other
main geologist fell out of a helicopter -- allegedly a suicide.
Name any of these men.

5. This Canadian businessman was a partner of Conrad Black for
over 35 years. When they faced criminal charges in the
United States, he negotiated a plea bargain and assisted the
prosecution.

6. The Hollinger papers were controlled by a holding company
originally formed by Conrad Black's father and other associates,
including Bud McDougald. At one time it was the holding company
for Argus Corporation. This company no longer exists. What was
its name?

7. This Canadian bank was accused of helping Enron hide debt.
In 2005 it agreed to pay $2,400,000,000 to settle a lawsuit
over the allegations but denied any wrongdoing. Name the bank.

8. This Canadian bank received bad publicity in 2013 after it
was made public that the bank was making use of temporary
foreign workers in certain areas such as IT instead of Canadian
residents. Name the bank.

9. This large Canadian company is going to trial on corruption
charges, although not until 2018, primarily to do with past
business dealings in Africa. Former senior executives are also
facing charges. Name the company.

10. Michel Fournier, a former head of the Federal Bridge Corp.,
is awaiting trial on corruption charges related to a $127,000,000
contract awarded to SNC Lavalin several years ago to refurbish
Montreal's Jacques Cartier Bridge. In the early 1990s, Fournier
was briefly chief of staff to *which Canadian politician*?

--
Mark Brader | "If I were creating the world...
Toronto | I would have started with lasers, 8:00, Day 1!"

Dan Blum

Jul 19, 2017, 9:42:47 AM7/19/17
Mark Brader <m...@vex.net> wrote:

> * Game 8, Round 2 - Miscellaneous - Cooking Terms

> 1. To immerse in rapidly boiling water and allow to cook slightly
> (6 letters).

simmer

> 2. To sprinkle or coat with flour or other fine substance
> (6 letters).

dredge

> 3. To douse in some form of potable alcohol and set alight
> (6 letters).

flambe

> 4. From a French word referring to a surface burnt brown; used
> to describe any oven-baked dish on which a golden brown crust
> of bread crumbs or creamy sauce is formed (6 letters).

gratin

> 5. To make solid fat into liquid by melting it slowly (6 letters).

render

> 8. To cut vegetables, fruit, or cheese into thin strips (8 letters).

julienne

> 10. To heat sugar in a pan in order to turn it brown and give it
> a special taste (10 letters).

caramelize

Dan Blum to...@panix.com

Marc Dashevsky

Jul 19, 2017, 10:30:10 AM7/19/17
In article <AMKdnfu6DNajZfPE...@giganews.com>, m...@vex.net says...
> * Game 8, Round 2 - Miscellaneous - Cooking Terms
>
> Given a description and the number of letters in the word, provide
> the appropriate cooking term.
>
> 1. To immerse in rapidly boiling water and allow to cook slightly
> (6 letters).
blanch

> 2. To sprinkle or coat with flour or other fine substance
> (6 letters).
>
> 3. To douse in some form of potable alcohol and set alight
> (6 letters).
flambe

> 4. From a French word referring to a surface burnt brown; used
> to describe any oven-baked dish on which a golden brown crust
> of bread crumbs or creamy sauce is formed (6 letters).
broule

> 5. To make solid fat into liquid by melting it slowly (6 letters).
render

> 6. To secure poultry with string or skewers to hold its shape
> while cooking (5 letters).
>
> 7. To separate and remove solids from a liquid, thus making it clear
> (7 letters).
>
> 8. To cut vegetables, fruit, or cheese into thin strips (8 letters).
julienne

> 9. To add liquid to the juices and brown bits on the surface of a
> pan in which food has been fried, sautéed, or roasted and scrape
> surface of pan over high heat,adding flavor to the liquid for
> use as a sauce or gravy (7 letters).
>
> 10. To heat sugar in a pan in order to turn it brown and give it
> a special taste (10 letters).
caramelize

Peter Smyth

Jul 19, 2017, 11:21:48 AM7/19/17
Mark Brader wrote:

> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2017-03-13,

> Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
> the correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of 5 Easy Pieces and are
> used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have
> been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information see
> my 2016-11-26 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>

> * Game 8, Round 2 - Miscellaneous - Cooking Terms
>
> Given a description and the number of letters in the word, provide
> the appropriate cooking term.
>
> 1. To immerse in rapidly boiling water and allow to cook slightly
> (6 letters).
>
> 2. To sprinkle or coat with flour or other fine substance
> (6 letters).
>
> 3. To douse in some form of potable alcohol and set alight
> (6 letters).
Flambe
> 4. From a French word referring to a surface burnt brown; used
> to describe any oven-baked dish on which a golden brown crust
> of bread crumbs or creamy sauce is formed (6 letters).
>
> 5. To make solid fat into liquid by melting it slowly (6 letters).
>
> 6. To secure poultry with string or skewers to hold its shape
> while cooking (5 letters).
>
> 7. To separate and remove solids from a liquid, thus making it clear
> (7 letters).
Clarify
> 8. To cut vegetables, fruit, or cheese into thin strips (8 letters).
Julienne
> 9. To add liquid to the juices and brown bits on the surface of a
> pan in which food has been fried, sautéed, or roasted and scrape
> surface of pan over high heat,adding flavor to the liquid for
> use as a sauce or gravy (7 letters).
>
> 10. To heat sugar in a pan in order to turn it brown and give it
> a special taste (10 letters).
Caramelize

Peter Smyth

Bruce

Jul 19, 2017, 12:58:19 PM7/19/17
On Wed, 19 Jul 2017 01:12:14 -0500, Mark Brader wrote:

> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2017-03-13, and
> should be interpreted accordingly.
>
> On each question you may give up to two answers, but if you give both a
> right answer and a wrong answer, there is a small penalty. Please post
> all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup, based only on
> your own knowledge. (In your answer posting, quote the questions and
> place your answer below each one.) I will reveal the correct answers in
> about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of 5 Easy Pieces and are used here
> by permission, but have been reformatted and may have been retyped
> and/or edited by me. For further information see my 2016-11-26
> companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>

> * Game 8, Round 2 - Miscellaneous - Cooking Terms
>
> Given a description and the number of letters in the word, provide the
> appropriate cooking term.
>
> 1. To immerse in rapidly boiling water and allow to cook slightly
> (6 letters).

blanch

> 2. To sprinkle or coat with flour or other fine substance
> (6 letters).

dredge

> 3. To douse in some form of potable alcohol and set alight
> (6 letters).

Flambe

> 4. From a French word referring to a surface burnt brown; used
> to describe any oven-baked dish on which a golden brown crust of
> bread crumbs or creamy sauce is formed (6 letters).

gratin

> 5. To make solid fat into liquid by melting it slowly (6 letters).

render

> 6. To secure poultry with string or skewers to hold its shape
> while cooking (5 letters).

Truss

> 7. To separate and remove solids from a liquid, thus making it clear
> (7 letters).

clarify

> 8. To cut vegetables, fruit, or cheese into thin strips (8 letters).

Julienne

> 9. To add liquid to the juices and brown bits on the surface of a
> pan in which food has been fried, sautéed, or roasted and scrape
> surface of pan over high heat,adding flavor to the liquid for use as
> a sauce or gravy (7 letters).

deglaze

> 10. To heat sugar in a pan in order to turn it brown and give it
> a special taste (10 letters).

caramelize

> * Game 8, Round 3 - Canadiana - Canadian Business Scandals

nope

Calvin

Jul 19, 2017, 8:05:55 PM7/19/17
On Wednesday, July 19, 2017 at 4:12:19 PM UTC+10, Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 8, Round 2 - Miscellaneous - Cooking Terms
>
> Given a description and the number of letters in the word, provide
> the appropriate cooking term.
>
> 1. To immerse in rapidly boiling water and allow to cook slightly
> (6 letters).

Blanch

> 2. To sprinkle or coat with flour or other fine substance
> (6 letters).
>
> 3. To douse in some form of potable alcohol and set alight
> (6 letters).

Flambe

> 4. From a French word referring to a surface burnt brown; used
> to describe any oven-baked dish on which a golden brown crust
> of bread crumbs or creamy sauce is formed (6 letters).

Brulee

> 5. To make solid fat into liquid by melting it slowly (6 letters).
>
> 6. To secure poultry with string or skewers to hold its shape
> while cooking (5 letters).
>
> 7. To separate and remove solids from a liquid, thus making it clear
> (7 letters).
>
> 8. To cut vegetables, fruit, or cheese into thin strips (8 letters).

Julienne

> 9. To add liquid to the juices and brown bits on the surface of a
> pan in which food has been fried, sautéed, or roasted and scrape
> surface of pan over high heat,adding flavor to the liquid for
> use as a sauce or gravy (7 letters).
>
> 10. To heat sugar in a pan in order to turn it brown and give it
> a special taste (10 letters).

Caramelise

> * Game 8, Round 3 - Canadiana - Canadian Business Scandals

Pass

cheers,
calvin

Joshua Kreitzer

Jul 20, 2017, 9:13:41 AM7/20/17
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:AMKdnfu6DNajZfPEnZ2dnUU7-
UnN...@giganews.com:

> * Game 8, Round 2 - Miscellaneous - Cooking Terms
>
> Given a description and the number of letters in the word, provide
> the appropriate cooking term.
>
> 1. To immerse in rapidly boiling water and allow to cook slightly
> (6 letters).

simmer

> 3. To douse in some form of potable alcohol and set alight
> (6 letters).

flambe

> 8. To cut vegetables, fruit, or cheese into thin strips (8 letters).

julienne

> 10. To heat sugar in a pan in order to turn it brown and give it
> a special taste (10 letters).

caramelize

> * Game 8, Round 3 - Canadiana - Canadian Business Scandals

No answers in this round.

--
Joshua Kreitzer
grom...@hotmail.com

Jason Kreitzer

Jul 20, 2017, 11:38:45 PM7/20/17
On Wednesday, July 19, 2017 at 2:12:19 AM UTC-4, Mark Brader wrote:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2017-03-13,

> Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
> the correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of 5 Easy Pieces and are
> used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have
> been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information see
> my 2016-11-26 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>

> * Game 8, Round 2 - Miscellaneous - Cooking Terms
>
> Given a description and the number of letters in the word, provide
> the appropriate cooking term.
>
> 1. To immerse in rapidly boiling water and allow to cook slightly
> (6 letters).
>
> 2. To sprinkle or coat with flour or other fine substance
> (6 letters).
>
> 3. To douse in some form of potable alcohol and set alight
> (6 letters).
Flambe?

Dan Tilque

Jul 21, 2017, 3:35:42 AM7/21/17
Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 8, Round 2 - Miscellaneous - Cooking Terms
>
> Given a description and the number of letters in the word, provide
> the appropriate cooking term.
>
> 1. To immerse in rapidly boiling water and allow to cook slightly
> (6 letters).

blanch

> 2. To sprinkle or coat with flour or other fine substance
> (6 letters).
>
> 3. To douse in some form of potable alcohol and set alight
> (6 letters).

flambe

> 4. From a French word referring to a surface burnt brown; used
> to describe any oven-baked dish on which a golden brown crust
> of bread crumbs or creamy sauce is formed (6 letters).
>
> 5. To make solid fat into liquid by melting it slowly (6 letters).
>
> 6. To secure poultry with string or skewers to hold its shape
> while cooking (5 letters).
>
> 7. To separate and remove solids from a liquid, thus making it clear
> (7 letters).

clarify

> 8. To cut vegetables, fruit, or cheese into thin strips (8 letters).
>
> 9. To add liquid to the juices and brown bits on the surface of a
> pan in which food has been fried, sautéed, or roasted and scrape
> surface of pan over high heat,adding flavor to the liquid for
> use as a sauce or gravy (7 letters).
>
> 10. To heat sugar in a pan in order to turn it brown and give it
> a special taste (10 letters).

caramelize
Dan Tilque

Mark Brader

Jul 22, 2017, 1:18:41 AM7/22/17
Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2017-03-13,

> Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
> the correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of 5 Easy Pieces and are
> used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have
> been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information see
> my 2016-11-26 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

> * Game 8, Round 2 - Miscellaneous - Cooking Terms

> Given a description and the number of letters in the word, provide
> the appropriate cooking term.

> 1. To immerse in rapidly boiling water and allow to cook slightly
> (6 letters).

Blanch. 4 for Marc, Bruce, Calvin, and Dan Tilque.

> 2. To sprinkle or coat with flour or other fine substance
> (6 letters).

Dredge. 4 for Dan Blum and Bruce.

> 3. To douse in some form of potable alcohol and set alight
> (6 letters).

Flambé. 4 for everyone -- Dan Blum, Marc, Peter, Bruce, Calvin,
Joshua, Jason, and Dan Tilque.

> 4. From a French word referring to a surface burnt brown; used
> to describe any oven-baked dish on which a golden brown crust
> of bread crumbs or creamy sauce is formed (6 letters).

(Au) gratin. 4 for Dan Blum and Bruce.

> 5. To make solid fat into liquid by melting it slowly (6 letters).

Render. 4 for Dan Blum, Marc, and Bruce.

> 6. To secure poultry with string or skewers to hold its shape
> while cooking (5 letters).

Truss. 4 for Bruce.

> 7. To separate and remove solids from a liquid, thus making it clear
> (7 letters).

Clarify. 4 for Peter, Bruce, and Dan Tilque.

> 8. To cut vegetables, fruit, or cheese into thin strips (8 letters).

Julienne. 4 for Dan Blum, Marc, Peter, Bruce, Calvin, and Joshua.

> 9. To add liquid to the juices and brown bits on the surface of a
> pan in which food has been fried, sautéed, or roasted and scrape
> surface of pan over high heat,adding flavor to the liquid for
> use as a sauce or gravy (7 letters).

Deglaze. 4 for Bruce.

> 10. To heat sugar in a pan in order to turn it brown and give it
> a special taste (10 letters).

Caramelize. 4 for Dan Blum, Marc, Peter, Bruce, Calvin, Joshua,
and Dan Tilque.

> * Game 8, Round 3 - Canadiana - Canadian Business Scandals

> This round is about Canadian companies that received bad press,
> rightly or wrongly, for some aspect of their operations that ended
> up in the public eye.

This was the hardest round in the original game, and nobody even
guessed at any answers here. So it never happened and scores for
this game will now be best 5 out of 7 rounds.

> 1. A report by the CBC-TV show "The Fifth Estate" stated in 1985
> that the Conservative government approved a popular food item
> for sale, even though there were health concerns. Two days
> later a recall was ordered. What type of food was it?

Tuna. (The tainted-tuna scandal.)

> 2. Maple Leaf Foods had to recall cold cuts, issue an apology, and
> pay out money in a class-action lawsuit because of an "outbreak"
> of health problems its products caused. What health problems?

Listeriosis. I don't think this one really qualifies as a scandal;
more an accident that they admitted responsibility for. It's not
as if it happened because they tried to save money on properly
sterilizing their equipment. They just didn't realize that the
sterilization wasn't reaching all parts of it.

> 3. The Ontario Securities Commission issued penalties in 2003
> against YBM Magnex, an alleged industrial magnet company that was
> actually a front for the Russian mob. The company's chairman
> of the board was reprimanded by the securities regulator.
> He is also a former premier of Ontario. Who?

David Peterson.

> 4. Bre-X Minerals, with its supposed gold deposit in Indonesia, is
> considered one of the biggest Canadian mining stock market
> frauds. The founder died of a brain aneurysm. The chief
> geologist was acquitted on insider trading charges. Its other
> main geologist fell out of a helicopter -- allegedly a suicide.
> Name any of these men.

David Walsh, John Felderhof, Michael de Guzman.

> 5. This Canadian businessman was a partner of Conrad Black for
> over 35 years. When they faced criminal charges in the
> United States, he negotiated a plea bargain and assisted the
> prosecution.

David Radler.

> 6. The Hollinger papers were controlled by a holding company
> originally formed by Conrad Black's father and other associates,
> including Bud McDougald. At one time it was the holding company
> for Argus Corporation. This company no longer exists. What was
> its name?

Ravelston Corp.

> 7. This Canadian bank was accused of helping Enron hide debt.
> In 2005 it agreed to pay $2,400,000,000 to settle a lawsuit
> over the allegations but denied any wrongdoing. Name the bank.

CIBC.

> 8. This Canadian bank received bad publicity in 2013 after it
> was made public that the bank was making use of temporary
> foreign workers in certain areas such as IT instead of Canadian
> residents. Name the bank.

Royal Bank.

> 9. This large Canadian company is going to trial on corruption
> charges, although not until 2018, primarily to do with past
> business dealings in Africa. Former senior executives are also
> facing charges. Name the company.

SNC Lavalin.

> 10. Michel Fournier, a former head of the Federal Bridge Corp.,
> is awaiting trial on corruption charges related to a $127,000,000
> contract awarded to SNC Lavalin several years ago to refurbish
> Montreal's Jacques Cartier Bridge. In the early 1990s, Fournier
> was briefly chief of staff to *which Canadian politician*?

Jean Chrétien.

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAME 8 ROUNDS-> 2
TOPICS-> Mis