QFTCICR19 Game 1, Rounds 4,6: table tennis, countries

Mark Brader

Jan 25, 2019, 2:17:26 AM1/25/19
These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2019-01-21,
and should be interpreted accordingly.

Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
the questions and place your answer below each one.) I will
reveal the correct answers in about 3 days. (Not 4 any more.
I was trying to stretch out the last season I did so it would last
approximately until the start of this one.)

All questions were written by members of the Cellar Rats and are
used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have
been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information see
my recent companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

* Game 1, Round 4 - Sports - Table Tennis

1. The official name for it is "racket". In Canada and the US
it's often called the "paddle". What is it in Britain?

2. How high off the floor is an official table-tennis table?
Answer to the nearest whole unit in centimeters or inches.

3. Until 2015, official table-tennis balls were made of celluloid.
What alternative is now allowed?

4. In what year was the first summer Olympics where table tennis
was an official sport? Answer within one Olympiad, but you
must give an actual Olympic year.

5. Please answer the previous question before decoding the rot13.
Ng gur Bylzcvpf va Flqarl va gur lrne gjb gubhfnaq, arj ehyrf
jrer vagebqhprq jvgu gur nvz bs znxvat gnoyr graavf n "ivnoyr
fcrpgngbe fcbeg". N arj gnoyr-graavf onyy zrnfhevat 40 zz va
qvnzrgre jnf vagebqhprq, pnhfvat fbzr pbagebirefl: gur Puvarfr
angvbany grnz nethrq gung guvf onyy jbhyq geniry fybjre naq
guhf tvir aba-Puvarfr cynlref n orggre punapr. Jvguva 1 zz,
jung jnf gur qvnzrgre bs gur *byq* onyyf?

6. A makeshift version of table tennis was played by British
military officers in India in the 1860s/1870s or so. They used
a golf ball, and improvised a net by standing a row of books
along the center of the table. What did they use as rackets
to hit the ball with?

7. If a serve touches the net but still goes over, it needs to
be retaken. What is the term for this?

8. In the world table-tennis championships, China has earned the
most gold medals with 140. Which country ranks second, with 68?

9. As well as the world championships, there is also a Table
Tennis World Cup. The last time that Canada figured in the
medal count for this one was when Johnny Huang won the bronze
medal in Guangzhou, China. Within 3 years, when was that?

10. What is the flat part of a table-tennis racket called?

* Game 1, Round 6 - Geography - Countries of the World

(As opposed to all those *other* countries.)

In each case, name the country.

1. In 1967 the leader of this country, Enver Hoxha ["Ho-jah"],
declared his nation to be the world's first atheist state.

2. What current nation was ruled in South Africa and Germany at
different times in the past?

3. From the UK, this is the closest other Commonwealth country.
One of its former leaders was Dom Mintoff, who played a
controversial role in its development.

4. Which island nation was expelled from the UN in 1971?

5. Which German-speaking nation is doubly landlocked?

6. This country's capital was formerly called Batavia. A coup in
1965 resulted in massive loss of life, as depicted in the movie
"The Year of Living Dangerously". What country?

7. This country was liberated from colonial status by Bernardo
O'Higgins. In 1973 its democratically elected government was
overthown in a coup, resulting in many years of military rule.

8. Once colonized by Portugal, this group of islands west of
Senegal is now an independent nation, called what?

9. What nation is jointly ruled by a bishop and the president
of France?

10. Of the 14 countries that have land borders with Russia, this
one has the shortest. The country was established on 1948-09-09.

--
Mark Brader "Poor spelling does not prove poor knowledge,
Toronto but is fatal to the argument by intimidation."

Don Piven

Jan 25, 2019, 7:26:51 AM1/25/19
On 1/25/19 01:17, Mark Brader wrote:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2019-01-21,

> Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
> the questions and place your answer below each one.) I will
> reveal the correct answers in about 3 days. (Not 4 any more.
> I was trying to stretch out the last season I did so it would last
> approximately until the start of this one.)
>
> All questions were written by members of the Cellar Rats and are
> used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have
> been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information see
> my recent companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>

> * Game 1, Round 4 - Sports - Table Tennis
>
> 1. The official name for it is "racket". In Canada and the US
> it's often called the "paddle". What is it in Britain?

Racquet.

> 2. How high off the floor is an official table-tennis table?
> Answer to the nearest whole unit in centimeters or inches.

28"

> 3. Until 2015, official table-tennis balls were made of celluloid.
> What alternative is now allowed?

Styrene.

> 4. In what year was the first summer Olympics where table tennis
> was an official sport? Answer within one Olympiad, but you
> must give an actual Olympic year.

1972.
Albania.

> 2. What current nation was ruled in South Africa and Germany at
> different times in the past?

Namibia.

> 3. From the UK, this is the closest other Commonwealth country.
> One of its former leaders was Dom Mintoff, who played a
> controversial role in its development.

> 4. Which island nation was expelled from the UN in 1971?

Republic of China.

> 5. Which German-speaking nation is doubly landlocked?

Austria.

> 6. This country's capital was formerly called Batavia. A coup in
> 1965 resulted in massive loss of life, as depicted in the movie
> "The Year of Living Dangerously". What country?

Indonesia.

> 7. This country was liberated from colonial status by Bernardo
> O'Higgins. In 1973 its democratically elected government was
> overthown in a coup, resulting in many years of military rule.

Chile.

> 8. Once colonized by Portugal, this group of islands west of
> Senegal is now an independent nation, called what?

Cape Verde.

> 9. What nation is jointly ruled by a bishop and the president
> of France?

Andorra.

> 10. Of the 14 countries that have land borders with Russia, this
> one has the shortest. The country was established on 1948-09-09.

North Korea.

Dan Blum

Jan 25, 2019, 10:18:33 AM1/25/19
Mark Brader <m...@vex.net> wrote:

> * Game 1, Round 4 - Sports - Table Tennis

> 1. The official name for it is "racket". In Canada and the US
> it's often called the "paddle". What is it in Britain?

bat

> 2. How high off the floor is an official table-tennis table?
> Answer to the nearest whole unit in centimeters or inches.

35 inches

> 4. In what year was the first summer Olympics where table tennis
> was an official sport? Answer within one Olympiad, but you
> must give an actual Olympic year.

1964; 1972

> 5. Please answer the previous question before decoding the rot13.
> Ng gur Bylzcvpf va Flqarl va gur lrne gjb gubhfnaq, arj ehyrf
> jrer vagebqhprq jvgu gur nvz bs znxvat gnoyr graavf n "ivnoyr
> fcrpgngbe fcbeg". N arj gnoyr-graavf onyy zrnfhevat 40 zz va
> qvnzrgre jnf vagebqhprq, pnhfvat fbzr pbagebirefl: gur Puvarfr
> angvbany grnz nethrq gung guvf onyy jbhyq geniry fybjre naq
> guhf tvir aba-Puvarfr cynlref n orggre punapr. Jvguva 1 zz,
> jung jnf gur qvnzrgre bs gur *byq* onyyf?

36 mm

> 6. A makeshift version of table tennis was played by British
> military officers in India in the 1860s/1870s or so. They used
> a golf ball, and improvised a net by standing a row of books
> along the center of the table. What did they use as rackets
> to hit the ball with?

cricket bats; books

> 8. In the world table-tennis championships, China has earned the
> most gold medals with 140. Which country ranks second, with 68?

USA; Japan

> 9. As well as the world championships, there is also a Table
> Tennis World Cup. The last time that Canada figured in the
> medal count for this one was when Johnny Huang won the bronze
> medal in Guangzhou, China. Within 3 years, when was that?

2000; 2010

> * Game 1, Round 6 - Geography - Countries of the World

> 1. In 1967 the leader of this country, Enver Hoxha ["Ho-jah"],
> declared his nation to be the world's first atheist state.

Albania

> 2. What current nation was ruled in South Africa and Germany at
> different times in the past?

Namibia

> 3. From the UK, this is the closest other Commonwealth country.
> One of its former leaders was Dom Mintoff, who played a
> controversial role in its development.

Malta

> 4. Which island nation was expelled from the UN in 1971?

Cyprus; Taiwan

> 5. Which German-speaking nation is doubly landlocked?

Liechtenstein

> 6. This country's capital was formerly called Batavia. A coup in
> 1965 resulted in massive loss of life, as depicted in the movie
> "The Year of Living Dangerously". What country?

Indonesia

> 7. This country was liberated from colonial status by Bernardo
> O'Higgins. In 1973 its democratically elected government was
> overthown in a coup, resulting in many years of military rule.

Chile

> 8. Once colonized by Portugal, this group of islands west of
> Senegal is now an independent nation, called what?

Cape Verde; Sao Tome e Principe

> 9. What nation is jointly ruled by a bishop and the president
> of France?

Andorra

Dan Blum to...@panix.com

Dan Tilque

Jan 25, 2019, 12:14:05 PM1/25/19
Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 1, Round 4 - Sports - Table Tennis
>
> 1. The official name for it is "racket". In Canada and the US
> it's often called the "paddle". What is it in Britain?

racquet

> 2. How high off the floor is an official table-tennis table?
> Answer to the nearest whole unit in centimeters or inches.
>
> 3. Until 2015, official table-tennis balls were made of celluloid.
> What alternative is now allowed?

plastic

> 4. In what year was the first summer Olympics where table tennis
> was an official sport? Answer within one Olympiad, but you
> must give an actual Olympic year.
>
> 5. Please answer the previous question before decoding the rot13.
> Ng gur Bylzcvpf va Flqarl va gur lrne gjb gubhfnaq, arj ehyrf
> jrer vagebqhprq jvgu gur nvz bs znxvat gnoyr graavf n "ivnoyr
> fcrpgngbe fcbeg". N arj gnoyr-graavf onyy zrnfhevat 40 zz va
> qvnzrgre jnf vagebqhprq, pnhfvat fbzr pbagebirefl: gur Puvarfr
> angvbany grnz nethrq gung guvf onyy jbhyq geniry fybjre naq
> guhf tvir aba-Puvarfr cynlref n orggre punapr. Jvguva 1 zz,
> jung jnf gur qvnzrgre bs gur *byq* onyyf?

33 mm

> 6. A makeshift version of table tennis was played by British
> military officers in India in the 1860s/1870s or so. They used
> a golf ball, and improvised a net by standing a row of books
> along the center of the table. What did they use as rackets
> to hit the ball with?

cricket bat

> 7. If a serve touches the net but still goes over, it needs to
> be retaken. What is the term for this?

let serve

> 8. In the world table-tennis championships, China has earned the
> most gold medals with 140. Which country ranks second, with 68?
>
> 9. As well as the world championships, there is also a Table
> Tennis World Cup. The last time that Canada figured in the
> medal count for this one was when Johnny Huang won the bronze
> medal in Guangzhou, China. Within 3 years, when was that?
>
> 10. What is the flat part of a table-tennis racket called?

face

> * Game 1, Round 6 - Geography - Countries of the World
>
> (As opposed to all those *other* countries.)
>
> In each case, name the country.
>
> 1. In 1967 the leader of this country, Enver Hoxha ["Ho-jah"],
> declared his nation to be the world's first atheist state.

Albania

> 2. What current nation was ruled in South Africa and Germany at
> different times in the past?

Namibia

(took me a minute to figure out the question. Would have been easier if
it read "ruled by")

> 3. From the UK, this is the closest other Commonwealth country.
> One of its former leaders was Dom Mintoff, who played a
> controversial role in its development.

Malta

> 4. Which island nation was expelled from the UN in 1971?

Taiwan

> 5. Which German-speaking nation is doubly landlocked?

Liechtenstein

> 6. This country's capital was formerly called Batavia. A coup in
> 1965 resulted in massive loss of life, as depicted in the movie
> "The Year of Living Dangerously". What country?

Indonesia

> 7. This country was liberated from colonial status by Bernardo
> O'Higgins. In 1973 its democratically elected government was
> overthown in a coup, resulting in many years of military rule.

Chile

> 8. Once colonized by Portugal, this group of islands west of
> Senegal is now an independent nation, called what?

Cabo Verde

> 9. What nation is jointly ruled by a bishop and the president
> of France?

Andorra

> 10. Of the 14 countries that have land borders with Russia, this
> one has the shortest. The country was established on 1948-09-09.

North Korea

--
Dan Tilque

Erland Sommarskog

Jan 25, 2019, 2:34:39 PM1/25/19
Mark Brader (m...@vex.net) writes:
> 2. How high off the floor is an official table-tennis table?
> Answer to the nearest whole unit in centimeters or inches.

116

> 3. Until 2015, official table-tennis balls were made of celluloid.
> What alternative is now allowed?

Plastic

> 4. In what year was the first summer Olympics where table tennis
> was an official sport? Answer within one Olympiad, but you
> must give an actual Olympic year.

1968

> 5. Please answer the previous question before decoding the rot13.
> Ng gur Bylzcvpf va Flqarl va gur lrne gjb gubhfnaq, arj ehyrf
> jrer vagebqhprq jvgu gur nvz bs znxvat gnoyr graavf n "ivnoyr
> fcrpgngbe fcbeg". N arj gnoyr-graavf onyy zrnfhevat 40 zz va
> qvnzrgre jnf vagebqhprq, pnhfvat fbzr pbagebirefl: gur Puvarfr
> angvbany grnz nethrq gung guvf onyy jbhyq geniry fybjre naq
> guhf tvir aba-Puvarfr cynlref n orggre punapr. Jvguva 1 zz,
> jung jnf gur qvnzrgre bs gur *byq* onyyf?

49 mm

> 7. If a serve touches the net but still goes over, it needs to
> be retaken. What is the term for this?

Net ball

> 8. In the world table-tennis championships, China has earned the
> most gold medals with 140. Which country ranks second, with 68?

Sweden

(I don't think that is correct, but if it is and I would answer something
else, it would be really embarrassing.)

> 9. As well as the world championships, there is also a Table
> Tennis World Cup. The last time that Canada figured in the
> medal count for this one was when Johnny Huang won the bronze
> medal in Guangzhou, China. Within 3 years, when was that?

2001

> * Game 1, Round 6 - Geography - Countries of the World
>
> 1. In 1967 the leader of this country, Enver Hoxha ["Ho-jah"],
> declared his nation to be the world's first atheist state.

Albania

> 2. What current nation was ruled in South Africa and Germany at
> different times in the past?

Namibia

> 3. From the UK, this is the closest other Commonwealth country.
> One of its former leaders was Dom Mintoff, who played a
> controversial role in its development.

Malta

> 4. Which island nation was expelled from the UN in 1971?

Taiwan

> 5. Which German-speaking nation is doubly landlocked?

Liechtenstein

> 6. This country's capital was formerly called Batavia. A coup in
> 1965 resulted in massive loss of life, as depicted in the movie
> "The Year of Living Dangerously". What country?

Indonesia

> 7. This country was liberated from colonial status by Bernardo
> O'Higgins. In 1973 its democratically elected government was
> overthown in a coup, resulting in many years of military rule.

Chile

> 8. Once colonized by Portugal, this group of islands west of
> Senegal is now an independent nation, called what?

Cabo Verde

> 9. What nation is jointly ruled by a bishop and the president
> of France?

Andorra

The bishop is the bishop of Le Seu D'Urgell, just south of Andorra.

> 10. Of the 14 countries that have land borders with Russia, this
> one has the shortest. The country was established on 1948-09-09.

North Korea

Mark Brader

Jan 25, 2019, 2:54:17 PM1/25/19
Mark Brader:
> > Answer to the nearest whole unit in centimeters or inches.

Erland Sommarskog:
> 116

That is not an answer in centimeters or inches, you know.
--
Mark Brader "Thus the metric system did not really catch on
Toronto in the States, unless you count the increasing

Erland Sommarskog

Jan 25, 2019, 5:08:24 PM1/25/19
Mark Brader (m...@vex.net) writes:
> Mark Brader:
>> > Answer to the nearest whole unit in centimeters or inches.
>
> Erland Sommarskog:
>> 116
>
> That is not an answer in centimeters or inches, you know.

The question asked for an answer in centimetres. Then there is some dirt
at the end of the question which is understood or noticed in this part
of the world.

Mark Brader

Jan 25, 2019, 5:40:46 PM1/25/19
Mark Brader:
>> That is not an answer in centimeters or inches, you know.

Erland Sommarskog:
> The question asked for an answer in centimetres. Then there is some dirt
> at the end of the question which is understood or noticed in this part
> of the world.

Next time I'll specify that you have to answer in rods or leagues.
--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "My pasta, what stop does it close down to?"
m...@vex.net | --Lee Ayrton

Joshua Kreitzer

Jan 25, 2019, 8:04:58 PM1/25/19
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:eIKdnan9VOKcJdfBnZ2dnUU7-
L_N...@giganews.com:

> * Game 1, Round 4 - Sports - Table Tennis
>
> 2. How high off the floor is an official table-tennis table?
> Answer to the nearest whole unit in centimeters or inches.

40 inches; 48 inches

> 4. In what year was the first summer Olympics where table tennis
> was an official sport? Answer within one Olympiad, but you
> must give an actual Olympic year.

1992

> 5. Please answer the previous question before decoding the rot13.
> Ng gur Bylzcvpf va Flqarl va gur lrne gjb gubhfnaq, arj ehyrf
> jrer vagebqhprq jvgu gur nvz bs znxvat gnoyr graavf n "ivnoyr
> fcrpgngbe fcbeg". N arj gnoyr-graavf onyy zrnfhevat 40 zz va
> qvnzrgre jnf vagebqhprq, pnhfvat fbzr pbagebirefl: gur Puvarfr
> angvbany grnz nethrq gung guvf onyy jbhyq geniry fybjre naq
> guhf tvir aba-Puvarfr cynlref n orggre punapr. Jvguva 1 zz,
> jung jnf gur qvnzrgre bs gur *byq* onyyf?

35 mm; 38 mm

> 8. In the world table-tennis championships, China has earned the
> most gold medals with 140. Which country ranks second, with 68?

South Korea

> * Game 1, Round 6 - Geography - Countries of the World
>
> In each case, name the country.
>
> 1. In 1967 the leader of this country, Enver Hoxha ["Ho-jah"],
> declared his nation to be the world's first atheist state.

Albania

> 2. What current nation was ruled in South Africa and Germany at
> different times in the past?

Namibia

> 3. From the UK, this is the closest other Commonwealth country.
> One of its former leaders was Dom Mintoff, who played a
> controversial role in its development.

Malta

> 4. Which island nation was expelled from the UN in 1971?

Taiwan

> 5. Which German-speaking nation is doubly landlocked?

Liechtenstein

> 6. This country's capital was formerly called Batavia. A coup in
> 1965 resulted in massive loss of life, as depicted in the movie
> "The Year of Living Dangerously". What country?

Indonesia

> 7. This country was liberated from colonial status by Bernardo
> O'Higgins. In 1973 its democratically elected government was
> overthown in a coup, resulting in many years of military rule.

Chile

> 8. Once colonized by Portugal, this group of islands west of
> Senegal is now an independent nation, called what?

Cabo Verde

> 9. What nation is jointly ruled by a bishop and the president
> of France?

Andorra

> 10. Of the 14 countries that have land borders with Russia, this
> one has the shortest. The country was established on 1948-09-09.

North Korea

--
Joshua Kreitzer
grom...@hotmail.com

Pete Gayde

Jan 26, 2019, 7:01:54 PM1/26/19
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:eIKdnan9VOKcJdfBnZ2dnUU7-
L_N...@giganews.com:

> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2019-01-21,

> Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
> the questions and place your answer below each one.) I will
> reveal the correct answers in about 3 days. (Not 4 any more.
> I was trying to stretch out the last season I did so it would last
> approximately until the start of this one.)
>
> All questions were written by members of the Cellar Rats and are
> used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have
> been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information see
> my recent companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>

> * Game 1, Round 4 - Sports - Table Tennis
>
> 1. The official name for it is "racket". In Canada and the US
> it's often called the "paddle". What is it in Britain?
>
> 2. How high off the floor is an official table-tennis table?
> Answer to the nearest whole unit in centimeters or inches.

30 inches; 32 inches

> 3. Until 2015, official table-tennis balls were made of celluloid.
> What alternative is now allowed?
>
> 4. In what year was the first summer Olympics where table tennis
> was an official sport? Answer within one Olympiad, but you
> must give an actual Olympic year.

1980; 1988

> 5. Please answer the previous question before decoding the rot13.
> Ng gur Bylzcvpf va Flqarl va gur lrne gjb gubhfnaq, arj ehyrf
> jrer vagebqhprq jvgu gur nvz bs znxvat gnoyr graavf n "ivnoyr
> fcrpgngbe fcbeg". N arj gnoyr-graavf onyy zrnfhevat 40 zz va
> qvnzrgre jnf vagebqhprq, pnhfvat fbzr pbagebirefl: gur Puvarfr
> angvbany grnz nethrq gung guvf onyy jbhyq geniry fybjre naq
> guhf tvir aba-Puvarfr cynlref n orggre punapr. Jvguva 1 zz,
> jung jnf gur qvnzrgre bs gur *byq* onyyf?

33; 36

> 6. A makeshift version of table tennis was played by British
> military officers in India in the 1860s/1870s or so. They used
> a golf ball, and improvised a net by standing a row of books
> along the center of the table. What did they use as rackets
> to hit the ball with?

Cricket bats

> 7. If a serve touches the net but still goes over, it needs to
> be retaken. What is the term for this?

Let

> 8. In the world table-tennis championships, China has earned the
> most gold medals with 140. Which country ranks second, with 68?

South Korea

> 9. As well as the world championships, there is also a Table
> Tennis World Cup. The last time that Canada figured in the
> medal count for this one was when Johnny Huang won the bronze
> medal in Guangzhou, China. Within 3 years, when was that?
>
> 10. What is the flat part of a table-tennis racket called?
>

> * Game 1, Round 6 - Geography - Countries of the World
>
> (As opposed to all those *other* countries.)
>
> In each case, name the country.
>
> 1. In 1967 the leader of this country, Enver Hoxha ["Ho-jah"],
> declared his nation to be the world's first atheist state.

Albania

> 2. What current nation was ruled in South Africa and Germany at
> different times in the past?

Netherlands

> 3. From the UK, this is the closest other Commonwealth country.
> One of its former leaders was Dom Mintoff, who played a
> controversial role in its development.

Malta

> 4. Which island nation was expelled from the UN in 1971?

Cyprus

> 5. Which German-speaking nation is doubly landlocked?

Liechtenstein

> 6. This country's capital was formerly called Batavia. A coup in
> 1965 resulted in massive loss of life, as depicted in the movie
> "The Year of Living Dangerously". What country?

Indonesia

> 7. This country was liberated from colonial status by Bernardo
> O'Higgins. In 1973 its democratically elected government was
> overthown in a coup, resulting in many years of military rule.

Chile

> 8. Once colonized by Portugal, this group of islands west of
> Senegal is now an independent nation, called what?

Cape Verde

> 9. What nation is jointly ruled by a bishop and the president
> of France?

French Guiana

> 10. Of the 14 countries that have land borders with Russia, this
> one has the shortest. The country was established on 1948-09-09.

Norway; North Korea

Pete Gayde

Mark Brader

Jan 27, 2019, 11:51:52 PM1/27/19
Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2019-01-21,
> see my recent companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

> * Game 1, Round 4 - Sports - Table Tennis

This was the hardest round in the original game.

> 1. The official name for it is "racket". In Canada and the US
> it's often called the "paddle". What is it in Britain?

Bat. 4 for Dan Blum.

> 2. How high off the floor is an official table-tennis table?
> Answer to the nearest whole unit in centimeters or inches.

76 cm, 30 inches. 3 for Pete.

> 3. Until 2015, official table-tennis balls were made of celluloid.
> What alternative is now allowed?

"Similar plastics". Any reference to plastic or polymer was
acceptable. 4 for Dan Tilque and Erland.

> 4. In what year was the first summer Olympics where table tennis
> was an official sport? Answer within one Olympiad, but you
> must give an actual Olympic year.

1988, in Seoul. (Accepting 1984 or 1992.) 4 for Joshua and Pete.

> 5. Please answer the previous question before decoding the rot13.
> At the Olympics in Sydney in the year two thousand, new rules
> were introduced with the aim of making table tennis a "viable
> spectator sport". A new table-tennis ball measuring 40 mm in
> diameter was introduced, causing some controversy: the Chinese
> national team argued that this ball would travel slower and
> thus give non-Chinese players a better chance. Within 1 mm,
> what was the diameter of the *old* balls?

38 mm (accepting 37-39). 2 for Joshua.

> 6. A makeshift version of table tennis was played by British
> military officers in India in the 1860s/1870s or so. They used
> a golf ball, and improvised a net by standing a row of books
> along the center of the table. What did they use as rackets
> to hit the ball with?

Also books! 2 for Dan Blum.

> 7. If a serve touches the net but still goes over, it needs to
> be retaken. What is the term for this?

A let serve. 4 for Dan Tilque and Pete.

> 8. In the world table-tennis championships, China has earned the
> most gold medals with 140. Which country ranks second, with 68?

Hungary. (They dominated the tournament in the 1930s.)

> 9. As well as the world championships, there is also a Table
> Tennis World Cup. The last time that Canada figured in the
> medal count for this one was when Johnny Huang won the bronze
> medal in Guangzhou, China. Within 3 years, when was that?

1993 (accepting 1990-96).

> 10. What is the flat part of a table-tennis racket called?

Blade.

> * Game 1, Round 6 - Geography - Countries of the World

> (As opposed to all those *other* countries.)

> In each case, name the country.

> 1. In 1967 the leader of this country, Enver Hoxha ["Ho-jah"],
> declared his nation to be the world's first atheist state.

Albania. 4 for everyone -- Don, Dan Blum, Dan Tilque, Erland,
Joshua, and Pete.

> 2. What current nation was ruled in South Africa and Germany at
> different times in the past?

Namibia. 4 for Don, Dan Blum, Dan Tilque, Erland, and Joshua.

Yes, Dan T., it was supposed to say "ruled by".

> 3. From the UK, this is the closest other Commonwealth country.
> One of its former leaders was Dom Mintoff, who played a
> controversial role in its development.

Malta. 4 for Dan Blum, Dan Tilque, Erland, Joshua, and Pete.

> 4. Which island nation was expelled from the UN in 1971?

Taiwan, or the Republic of China (as you will remember from the
answers to the QFTCIWSS Final, Round 7, posted on 2019-01-06).
Also accepting Formosa. 4 for Don, Dan Tilque, Erland, and Joshua.
2 for Dan Blum.

> 5. Which German-speaking nation is doubly landlocked?

Liechtenstein. 4 for Dan Blum, Dan Tilque, Erland, Joshua, and Pete.

> 6. This country's capital was formerly called Batavia. A coup in
> 1965 resulted in massive loss of life, as depicted in the movie
> "The Year of Living Dangerously". What country?

Indonesia. 4 for everyone.

> 7. This country was liberated from colonial status by Bernardo
> O'Higgins. In 1973 its democratically elected government was
> overthown in a coup, resulting in many years of military rule.

Chile. 4 for everyone.

> 8. Once colonized by Portugal, this group of islands west of
> Senegal is now an independent nation, called what?

Cabo Verde. (Accepting Cape Verde.) 4 for Don, Dan Tilque, Erland,
Joshua, and Pete. 3 for Dan Blum.

> 9. What nation is jointly ruled by a bishop and the president
> of France?

Andorra. 4 for Don, Dan Blum, Dan Tilque, Erland, and Joshua.

> 10. Of the 14 countries that have land borders with Russia, this
> one has the shortest. The country was established on 1948-09-09.

North Korea. 4 for Don, Dan Tilque, Erland, and Joshua. 2 for Pete.

According to the CIA World Factbook, Russia has the following lengths
of border:
Kazakhstan 7,644 km
China 4,133 + 46 km (two segments)
Mongolia 3,452 km
Ukraine 1,944 km
Belarus 1,312 km
Finland 1,309 km
Georgia 894 km
Azerbaijan 338 km
Latvia 332 km
Estonia 324 km
Lithuania 261 km (with Kaliningrad Oblast)
Poland 210 km (with Kaliningrad Oblast)
Norway 191 km
North Korea 18 km

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAME 1 ROUNDS-> 2 3 4 6 TOTALS
TOPICS-> Ent Sci Spo Geo
Joshua Kreitzer 40 24 6 40 110
Don Piven 20 40 0 32 92
Dan Tilque 4 36 8 40 88
Erland Sommarskog 24 8 4 40 76
Dan Blum 12 23 6 33 74
Pete Gayde -- -- 11 26 37
Bruce Bowler 0 27 -- -- 27
"Calvin" 8 18 -- -- 26

--
Mark Brader | "And don't forget there were five separate computers
m...@vex.net | in those days."