QFTCI5EP Game 2, Rounds 7-8: kiss, bang, Russia

Mark Brader

May 13, 2017, 1:14:53 AM5/13/17
Mark Brader:
These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2017-01-23,
and should be interpreted accordingly.

Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
the correct answers in about 3 days.

All questions were written by members of 5 Easy Pieces and are
used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have
been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information see
my 2016-11-26 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

* Game 2, Round 7 - Entertainment - "Kiss Kiss Bang Bang"

In 1968 movie critic Pauline Kael published a quintessential film
book titled "Kiss Kiss Bang Bang". In each case name the movie
described -- which will have either "Kiss" or "Bang" in its title.

1. Ralph Meeker plays Mickey Spillane's Mike Hammer in this
film-noir thriller with an apocalyptic ending, directed by
Robert Aldrich and released in 1955.

2. Robert De Niro plays a halfwit catcher with a terminal illness
in this 1973 baseball drama.

3. Robert Downey Jr. and Val Kilmer star in this 2005 murder
mystery that brings together a private eye, a struggling
actress, and a thief masquerading as an actor.

4. Billy Wilder directed this 1964 comedy about a sleazebag crooner,
played by Dean Martin, whose car breaks down in small-town
America -- where a gas jockey and aspiring songwriter, played
by Ray Walston, wants to sell Dean his songs. Dean hears
that Walston has a hot wife, played by Felicia Farr, and
Walston promises to pimp her out to the crooner -- but instead
substitutes a local hooker, played by Kim Novak.

5. This 1985 drama stars William Hurt as a flamboyantly gay prisoner
who tells stories to his cellmate, played by Raúl Juliá.
His tales come across like old movies, but they reveal a subtle
meaning.

6. This 1968 British musical adventure, co-written by Roald Dahl,
is about a down-on-his-luck inventor who turns his jalopy into
a flying fantasy car for his children.

7. Stanley Kubrick's second film, released in 1955, is about a
29-year-old welterweight boxer, at the end of his career,
who rescues his neighbor who's been kidnapped.

8. This iconic 1947 film noir features Victor Mature as an ex-con
trying to go straight. In his first role, Richard Widmark plays
Mature's former partner; he is best remembered for the scene
in which he straps an elderly woman into a wheelchair and sends
her down a staircase. Ouch! The movie was remade in 1995, but
if it matters, we're talking about the original version's title.

9. Directed by John Frankenheimer, this 1989 movie starred Don
Johnson as a Los Angeles County sheriff's deputy who uncovers
a plot involving hate literature, white-supremacist militias,
and arms trafficking. Filmed in Calgary, the movie also features
Penelope Ann Miller.

10. Geena Davis plays an amnesiac single mom trying to discover
her past and enlisting the aid of a private investigator played
by Samuel L. Jackson, in this convoluted thriller shot in the
Greater Toronto Area in 1995.

* Game 2, Round 8 - Geography - Russia

Given how much Russia is in the news lately, perhaps we should
all bone up on things Russian. The following questions concern
geography within the current borders of what is now officially
called the Russian Federation.

For all place names, give their conventional transcription used
in English.

1. Found in the Caucasus, this 18,510-foot (5,642 m) mountain
is the highest in Russia. Ancient Greek mythology saw it as
the place where Zeus chained Prometheus. Name it.

2. At 2,294 miles (3,692 km) in length, what is the longest river
in Russia? It rises in hills northwest of Moscow and empties
into the Caspian Sea.

3. This freshwater lake in Russia is the largest by volume and
deepest in the world. With a maximum depth of 5,387 feet
(1,642 m), it contains 1/5 of the world's fresh water. What is
its name?

4. At 6,800 sq.mi. (17,700 km²), this lake is the largest within
Russia by surface area. A methane lake on Saturn's moon Titan
is named after it. Name the Russian lake.

5. Canada's international border with the US, at 5,525 miles
(8,891 km), is still the longest between two countries.
Since the breakup of the Soviet Union, the Russian Federation
has had the second-largest international border. With a length
of 4,254 miles (6,846 km), this Russian border is shared with
which country?

6. Ignoring disputed territories, Russia has land borders today
with 14 countries altogether -- 8 former Soviet republics and
6 others. Which of the second group -- which country that
was not a Soviet republic, but does border Russia -- extends
farthest west?

7. Currently, Russia boasts 26 UNESCO World Heritage Sites -- 10
natural and 16 cultural. One of the natural sites features some
of the world's most magnificent volcanoes -- and is located on
what Far East Russian peninsula?

8. Considered by many scientists to be the oldest in the world,
this mountain range in Russia is found far to the west of
<answer 7> and divides European Russia from Asian Russia.
What is it?

9. Russia once shared this North Pacific island with Japan.
It is Russia's largest. Name it.

10. This Far North Russian archipelago separates the Barents Sea
from the Kara Sea in the Arctic Ocean, and forms an extension
of <answer 8>. It briefly served as a Nazi seaplane base,
established by U-boats. In the Cold War era, Russia tested more
than 200 nuclear devices on the archipelago. What is it called?

--
Mark Brader | "UNIX are quality sectional bookcases, made of solid oak.
Toronto | Open or glass-fronted, in three sizes and three finishes,
| -- Daily Mail Ideal Home Book, 1951-52

Joshua Kreitzer

May 13, 2017, 1:48:25 AM5/13/17
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:SfCdnaX--sPVC4vEnZ2dnUU7-
UHN...@giganews.com:

> * Game 2, Round 7 - Entertainment - "Kiss Kiss Bang Bang"
>
> In 1968 movie critic Pauline Kael published a quintessential film
> book titled "Kiss Kiss Bang Bang". In each case name the movie
> described -- which will have either "Kiss" or "Bang" in its title.
>
> 1. Ralph Meeker plays Mickey Spillane's Mike Hammer in this
> film-noir thriller with an apocalyptic ending, directed by
> Robert Aldrich and released in 1955.

"Kiss Me Deadly"

> 2. Robert De Niro plays a halfwit catcher with a terminal illness
> in this 1973 baseball drama.

"Bang the Drum Slowly"

> 3. Robert Downey Jr. and Val Kilmer star in this 2005 murder
> mystery that brings together a private eye, a struggling
> actress, and a thief masquerading as an actor.

"Kiss Kiss Bang Bang"

> 4. Billy Wilder directed this 1964 comedy about a sleazebag crooner,
> played by Dean Martin, whose car breaks down in small-town
> America -- where a gas jockey and aspiring songwriter, played
> by Ray Walston, wants to sell Dean his songs. Dean hears
> that Walston has a hot wife, played by Felicia Farr, and
> Walston promises to pimp her out to the crooner -- but instead
> substitutes a local hooker, played by Kim Novak.

"Kiss Me, Stupid"

> 5. This 1985 drama stars William Hurt as a flamboyantly gay prisoner
> who tells stories to his cellmate, played by Raúl Juliá.
> His tales come across like old movies, but they reveal a subtle
> meaning.

"Kiss of the Spider Woman"

> 6. This 1968 British musical adventure, co-written by Roald Dahl,
> is about a down-on-his-luck inventor who turns his jalopy into
> a flying fantasy car for his children.

"Chitty Chitty Bang Bang"

> 7. Stanley Kubrick's second film, released in 1955, is about a
> 29-year-old welterweight boxer, at the end of his career,
> who rescues his neighbor who's been kidnapped.

"Killer's Kiss"

> 8. This iconic 1947 film noir features Victor Mature as an ex-con
> trying to go straight. In his first role, Richard Widmark plays
> Mature's former partner; he is best remembered for the scene
> in which he straps an elderly woman into a wheelchair and sends
> her down a staircase. Ouch! The movie was remade in 1995, but
> if it matters, we're talking about the original version's title.

"Kiss of Death"

> 9. Directed by John Frankenheimer, this 1989 movie starred Don
> Johnson as a Los Angeles County sheriff's deputy who uncovers
> a plot involving hate literature, white-supremacist militias,
> and arms trafficking. Filmed in Calgary, the movie also features
> Penelope Ann Miller.

"Dead Bang"

> 10. Geena Davis plays an amnesiac single mom trying to discover
> her past and enlisting the aid of a private investigator played
> by Samuel L. Jackson, in this convoluted thriller shot in the
> Greater Toronto Area in 1995.

"The Long Kiss Goodnight"

> * Game 2, Round 8 - Geography - Russia
>
> Given how much Russia is in the news lately, perhaps we should
> all bone up on things Russian. The following questions concern
> geography within the current borders of what is now officially
> called the Russian Federation.
>
> For all place names, give their conventional transcription used
> in English.
>
> 1. Found in the Caucasus, this 18,510-foot (5,642 m) mountain
> is the highest in Russia. Ancient Greek mythology saw it as
> the place where Zeus chained Prometheus. Name it.

Mount Elbrus

> 2. At 2,294 miles (3,692 km) in length, what is the longest river
> in Russia? It rises in hills northwest of Moscow and empties
> into the Caspian Sea.

Volga River

> 3. This freshwater lake in Russia is the largest by volume and
> deepest in the world. With a maximum depth of 5,387 feet
> (1,642 m), it contains 1/5 of the world's fresh water. What is
> its name?

Lake Baikal

> 4. At 6,800 sq.mi. (17,700 km²), this lake is the largest within
> Russia by surface area. A methane lake on Saturn's moon Titan
> is named after it. Name the Russian lake.

Lake Baikal

> 5. Canada's international border with the US, at 5,525 miles
> (8,891 km), is still the longest between two countries.
> Since the breakup of the Soviet Union, the Russian Federation
> has had the second-largest international border. With a length
> of 4,254 miles (6,846 km), this Russian border is shared with
> which country?

Kazakhstan; China

> 6. Ignoring disputed territories, Russia has land borders today
> with 14 countries altogether -- 8 former Soviet republics and
> 6 others. Which of the second group -- which country that
> was not a Soviet republic, but does border Russia -- extends
> farthest west?

Norway

> 7. Currently, Russia boasts 26 UNESCO World Heritage Sites -- 10
> natural and 16 cultural. One of the natural sites features some
> of the world's most magnificent volcanoes -- and is located on
> what Far East Russian peninsula?

Kamchatka

> 8. Considered by many scientists to be the oldest in the world,
> this mountain range in Russia is found far to the west of
> <answer 7> and divides European Russia from Asian Russia.
> What is it?

Ural Mountains

> 9. Russia once shared this North Pacific island with Japan.
> It is Russia's largest. Name it.

Sakhalin

--
Joshua Kreitzer
grom...@hotmail.com

Dan Tilque

May 13, 2017, 4:58:01 AM5/13/17
Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 2, Round 7 - Entertainment - "Kiss Kiss Bang Bang"
>
> In 1968 movie critic Pauline Kael published a quintessential film
> book titled "Kiss Kiss Bang Bang". In each case name the movie
> described -- which will have either "Kiss" or "Bang" in its title.
>
> 1. Ralph Meeker plays Mickey Spillane's Mike Hammer in this
> film-noir thriller with an apocalyptic ending, directed by
> Robert Aldrich and released in 1955.

Kiss of the Spider Woman

> 2. Robert De Niro plays a halfwit catcher with a terminal illness
> in this 1973 baseball drama.
>
> 3. Robert Downey Jr. and Val Kilmer star in this 2005 murder
> mystery that brings together a private eye, a struggling
> actress, and a thief masquerading as an actor.
>
> 4. Billy Wilder directed this 1964 comedy about a sleazebag crooner,
> played by Dean Martin, whose car breaks down in small-town
> America -- where a gas jockey and aspiring songwriter, played
> by Ray Walston, wants to sell Dean his songs. Dean hears
> that Walston has a hot wife, played by Felicia Farr, and
> Walston promises to pimp her out to the crooner -- but instead
> substitutes a local hooker, played by Kim Novak.
>
> 5. This 1985 drama stars William Hurt as a flamboyantly gay prisoner
> who tells stories to his cellmate, played by Raúl Juliá.
> His tales come across like old movies, but they reveal a subtle
> meaning.
>
> 6. This 1968 British musical adventure, co-written by Roald Dahl,
> is about a down-on-his-luck inventor who turns his jalopy into
> a flying fantasy car for his children.

Chitti-Chitti Bang! Bang!
Mount Erebus

> 2. At 2,294 miles (3,692 km) in length, what is the longest river
> in Russia? It rises in hills northwest of Moscow and empties
> into the Caspian Sea.

Volga

> 3. This freshwater lake in Russia is the largest by volume and
> deepest in the world. With a maximum depth of 5,387 feet
> (1,642 m), it contains 1/5 of the world's fresh water. What is
> its name?

Baikal

> 4. At 6,800 sq.mi. (17,700 km²), this lake is the largest within
> Russia by surface area. A methane lake on Saturn's moon Titan
> is named after it. Name the Russian lake.

Caspian Sea

> 5. Canada's international border with the US, at 5,525 miles
> (8,891 km), is still the longest between two countries.
> Since the breakup of the Soviet Union, the Russian Federation
> has had the second-largest international border. With a length
> of 4,254 miles (6,846 km), this Russian border is shared with
> which country?

Kazakhstan

> 6. Ignoring disputed territories, Russia has land borders today
> with 14 countries altogether -- 8 former Soviet republics and
> 6 others. Which of the second group -- which country that
> was not a Soviet republic, but does border Russia -- extends
> farthest west?

Poland

> 7. Currently, Russia boasts 26 UNESCO World Heritage Sites -- 10
> natural and 16 cultural. One of the natural sites features some
> of the world's most magnificent volcanoes -- and is located on
> what Far East Russian peninsula?

Kamchatka

> 8. Considered by many scientists to be the oldest in the world,
> this mountain range in Russia is found far to the west of
> <answer 7> and divides European Russia from Asian Russia.
> What is it?

Urals

> 9. Russia once shared this North Pacific island with Japan.
> It is Russia's largest. Name it.

Sakhalin

> 10. This Far North Russian archipelago separates the Barents Sea
> from the Kara Sea in the Arctic Ocean, and forms an extension
> of <answer 8>. It briefly served as a Nazi seaplane base,
> established by U-boats. In the Cold War era, Russia tested more
> than 200 nuclear devices on the archipelago. What is it called?

--
Dan Tilque

Erland Sommarskog

May 13, 2017, 5:12:45 AM5/13/17
Mark Brader (m...@vex.net) writes:
> 1. Found in the Caucasus, this 18,510-foot (5,642 m) mountain
> is the highest in Russia. Ancient Greek mythology saw it as
> the place where Zeus chained Prometheus. Name it.

Elbrus

> 2. At 2,294 miles (3,692 km) in length, what is the longest river
> in Russia? It rises in hills northwest of Moscow and empties
> into the Caspian Sea.

Volga

> 3. This freshwater lake in Russia is the largest by volume and
> deepest in the world. With a maximum depth of 5,387 feet
> (1,642 m), it contains 1/5 of the world's fresh water. What is
> its name?

Baikal

> 4. At 6,800 sq.mi. (17,700 km²), this lake is the largest within
> Russia by surface area. A methane lake on Saturn's moon Titan
> is named after it. Name the Russian lake.

Ladoga

> 5. Canada's international border with the US, at 5,525 miles
> (8,891 km), is still the longest between two countries.
> Since the breakup of the Soviet Union, the Russian Federation
> has had the second-largest international border. With a length
> of 4,254 miles (6,846 km), this Russian border is shared with
> which country?

Kazakhstan

> 6. Ignoring disputed territories, Russia has land borders today
> with 14 countries altogether -- 8 former Soviet republics and
> 6 others. Which of the second group -- which country that
> was not a Soviet republic, but does border Russia -- extends
> farthest west?

Poland

> 7. Currently, Russia boasts 26 UNESCO World Heritage Sites -- 10
> natural and 16 cultural. One of the natural sites features some
> of the world's most magnificent volcanoes -- and is located on
> what Far East Russian peninsula?

Kamchatka

> 8. Considered by many scientists to be the oldest in the world,
> this mountain range in Russia is found far to the west of
> <answer 7> and divides European Russia from Asian Russia.
> What is it?

Ural

> 9. Russia once shared this North Pacific island with Japan.
> It is Russia's largest. Name it.

Sakhalin

(If memory serves, the island was only shared from 1905 to 1945.
Russia had to cede part of it after the disastrous war against
Japan in 1904-05.)

> 10. This Far North Russian archipelago separates the Barents Sea
> from the Kara Sea in the Arctic Ocean, and forms an extension
> of <answer 8>. It briefly served as a Nazi seaplane base,
> established by U-boats. In the Cold War era, Russia tested more
> than 200 nuclear devices on the archipelago. What is it called?

Novaya Zelyma

Calvin

May 13, 2017, 5:29:02 AM5/13/17
On Saturday, May 13, 2017 at 3:14:53 PM UTC+10, Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 2, Round 7 - Entertainment - "Kiss Kiss Bang Bang"
>
> In 1968 movie critic Pauline Kael published a quintessential film
> book titled "Kiss Kiss Bang Bang". In each case name the movie
> described -- which will have either "Kiss" or "Bang" in its title.
>
> 1. Ralph Meeker plays Mickey Spillane's Mike Hammer in this
> film-noir thriller with an apocalyptic ending, directed by
> Robert Aldrich and released in 1955.
>
> 2. Robert De Niro plays a halfwit catcher with a terminal illness
> in this 1973 baseball drama.
>
> 3. Robert Downey Jr. and Val Kilmer star in this 2005 murder
> mystery that brings together a private eye, a struggling
> actress, and a thief masquerading as an actor.
>
> 4. Billy Wilder directed this 1964 comedy about a sleazebag crooner,
> played by Dean Martin, whose car breaks down in small-town
> America -- where a gas jockey and aspiring songwriter, played
> by Ray Walston, wants to sell Dean his songs. Dean hears
> that Walston has a hot wife, played by Felicia Farr, and
> Walston promises to pimp her out to the crooner -- but instead
> substitutes a local hooker, played by Kim Novak.
>
> 5. This 1985 drama stars William Hurt as a flamboyantly gay prisoner
> who tells stories to his cellmate, played by Raúl Juliá.
> His tales come across like old movies, but they reveal a subtle
> meaning.

Kiss of the Spiderwoman

> 6. This 1968 British musical adventure, co-written by Roald Dahl,
> is about a down-on-his-luck inventor who turns his jalopy into
> a flying fantasy car for his children.

Chitty Chitty Bang Bang
Volga

> 3. This freshwater lake in Russia is the largest by volume and
> deepest in the world. With a maximum depth of 5,387 feet
> (1,642 m), it contains 1/5 of the world's fresh water. What is
> its name?

Baikal

> 4. At 6,800 sq.mi. (17,700 km²), this lake is the largest within
> Russia by surface area. A methane lake on Saturn's moon Titan
> is named after it. Name the Russian lake.

Baikal

> 5. Canada's international border with the US, at 5,525 miles
> (8,891 km), is still the longest between two countries.
> Since the breakup of the Soviet Union, the Russian Federation
> has had the second-largest international border. With a length
> of 4,254 miles (6,846 km), this Russian border is shared with
> which country?

China, Mongolia

> 6. Ignoring disputed territories, Russia has land borders today
> with 14 countries altogether -- 8 former Soviet republics and
> 6 others. Which of the second group -- which country that
> was not a Soviet republic, but does border Russia -- extends
> farthest west?

North Korea

> 7. Currently, Russia boasts 26 UNESCO World Heritage Sites -- 10
> natural and 16 cultural. One of the natural sites features some
> of the world's most magnificent volcanoes -- and is located on
> what Far East Russian peninsula?
>
> 8. Considered by many scientists to be the oldest in the world,
> this mountain range in Russia is found far to the west of
> <answer 7> and divides European Russia from Asian Russia.
> What is it?

Caucasus, Atlas

> 9. Russia once shared this North Pacific island with Japan.
> It is Russia's largest. Name it.
>
> 10. This Far North Russian archipelago separates the Barents Sea
> from the Kara Sea in the Arctic Ocean, and forms an extension
> of <answer 8>. It briefly served as a Nazi seaplane base,
> established by U-boats. In the Cold War era, Russia tested more
> than 200 nuclear devices on the archipelago. What is it called?

cheers,
calvin

Peter Smyth

May 13, 2017, 7:24:09 AM5/13/17
Chitty Chitty Bang Bang
Elbrus
> 2. At 2,294 miles (3,692 km) in length, what is the longest river
> in Russia? It rises in hills northwest of Moscow and empties
> into the Caspian Sea.
>
> 3. This freshwater lake in Russia is the largest by volume and
> deepest in the world. With a maximum depth of 5,387 feet
> (1,642 m), it contains 1/5 of the world's fresh water. What is
> its name?
Baikal
> 4. At 6,800 sq.mi. (17,700 km²), this lake is the largest within
> Russia by surface area. A methane lake on Saturn's moon Titan
> is named after it. Name the Russian lake.
Baikal
> 5. Canada's international border with the US, at 5,525 miles
> (8,891 km), is still the longest between two countries.
> Since the breakup of the Soviet Union, the Russian Federation
> has had the second-largest international border. With a length
> of 4,254 miles (6,846 km), this Russian border is shared with
> which country?
Kazakhstan
> 6. Ignoring disputed territories, Russia has land borders today
> with 14 countries altogether -- 8 former Soviet republics and
> 6 others. Which of the second group -- which country that
> was not a Soviet republic, but does border Russia -- extends
> farthest west?
Finland
> 7. Currently, Russia boasts 26 UNESCO World Heritage Sites -- 10
> natural and 16 cultural. One of the natural sites features some
> of the world's most magnificent volcanoes -- and is located on
> what Far East Russian peninsula?
>
> 8. Considered by many scientists to be the oldest in the world,
> this mountain range in Russia is found far to the west of
> <answer 7> and divides European Russia from Asian Russia.
> What is it?
Urals
> 9. Russia once shared this North Pacific island with Japan.
> It is Russia's largest. Name it.
>
> 10. This Far North Russian archipelago separates the Barents Sea
> from the Kara Sea in the Arctic Ocean, and forms an extension
> of <answer 8>. It briefly served as a Nazi seaplane base,
> established by U-boats. In the Cold War era, Russia tested more
> than 200 nuclear devices on the archipelago. What is it called?

Peter Smyth

Dan Blum

May 13, 2017, 9:23:37 AM5/13/17
Mark Brader <m...@vex.net> wrote:

> * Game 2, Round 7 - Entertainment - "Kiss Kiss Bang Bang"

> 1. Ralph Meeker plays Mickey Spillane's Mike Hammer in this
> film-noir thriller with an apocalyptic ending, directed by
> Robert Aldrich and released in 1955.

Kiss Me Deadly

> 2. Robert De Niro plays a halfwit catcher with a terminal illness
> in this 1973 baseball drama.

Bang the Drum Slowly

> 3. Robert Downey Jr. and Val Kilmer star in this 2005 murder
> mystery that brings together a private eye, a struggling
> actress, and a thief masquerading as an actor.

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

> 5. This 1985 drama stars William Hurt as a flamboyantly gay prisoner
> who tells stories to his cellmate, played by Ra?l Juli?.
> His tales come across like old movies, but they reveal a subtle
> meaning.

Kiss of the Spider Woman

> 6. This 1968 British musical adventure, co-written by Roald Dahl,
> is about a down-on-his-luck inventor who turns his jalopy into
> a flying fantasy car for his children.

Chitty-Chitty-Bang-Bang

> 10. Geena Davis plays an amnesiac single mom trying to discover
> her past and enlisting the aid of a private investigator played
> by Samuel L. Jackson, in this convoluted thriller shot in the
> Greater Toronto Area in 1995.

The Long Kiss Goodnight

> * Game 2, Round 8 - Geography - Russia

> 1. Found in the Caucasus, this 18,510-foot (5,642 m) mountain
> is the highest in Russia. Ancient Greek mythology saw it as
> the place where Zeus chained Prometheus. Name it.

Erebus

> 2. At 2,294 miles (3,692 km) in length, what is the longest river
> in Russia? It rises in hills northwest of Moscow and empties
> into the Caspian Sea.

Volga

> 3. This freshwater lake in Russia is the largest by volume and
> deepest in the world. With a maximum depth of 5,387 feet
> (1,642 m), it contains 1/5 of the world's fresh water. What is
> its name?

Lake Baikal

> 4. At 6,800 sq.mi. (17,700 km?), this lake is the largest within
> Russia by surface area. A methane lake on Saturn's moon Titan
> is named after it. Name the Russian lake.

Lake Ladoga

> 5. Canada's international border with the US, at 5,525 miles
> (8,891 km), is still the longest between two countries.
> Since the breakup of the Soviet Union, the Russian Federation
> has had the second-largest international border. With a length
> of 4,254 miles (6,846 km), this Russian border is shared with
> which country?

China

> 6. Ignoring disputed territories, Russia has land borders today
> with 14 countries altogether -- 8 former Soviet republics and
> 6 others. Which of the second group -- which country that
> was not a Soviet republic, but does border Russia -- extends
> farthest west?

Norway; Sweden

> 7. Currently, Russia boasts 26 UNESCO World Heritage Sites -- 10
> natural and 16 cultural. One of the natural sites features some
> of the world's most magnificent volcanoes -- and is located on
> what Far East Russian peninsula?

Kamchatka

> 8. Considered by many scientists to be the oldest in the world,
> this mountain range in Russia is found far to the west of
> <answer 7> and divides European Russia from Asian Russia.
> What is it?

Urals

> 9. Russia once shared this North Pacific island with Japan.
> It is Russia's largest. Name it.

Sakhalin

Dan Blum to...@panix.com

Gareth Owen

May 13, 2017, 11:16:34 AM5/13/17
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) writes:

> 1. Ralph Meeker plays Mickey Spillane's Mike Hammer in this
> film-noir thriller with an apocalyptic ending, directed by
> Robert Aldrich and released in 1955.

A Kiss Before Dying

> 2. Robert De Niro plays a halfwit catcher with a terminal illness
> in this 1973 baseball drama.

Bang The Drum Slowly

> 3. Robert Downey Jr. and Val Kilmer star in this 2005 murder
> mystery that brings together a private eye, a struggling
> actress, and a thief masquerading as an actor.

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

> 4. Billy Wilder directed this 1964 comedy about a sleazebag crooner,
> played by Dean Martin, whose car breaks down in small-town
> America -- where a gas jockey and aspiring songwriter, played
> by Ray Walston, wants to sell Dean his songs. Dean hears
> that Walston has a hot wife, played by Felicia Farr, and
> Walston promises to pimp her out to the crooner -- but instead
> substitutes a local hooker, played by Kim Novak.

Big Bang, Last Kiss

> 5. This 1985 drama stars William Hurt as a flamboyantly gay prisoner
> who tells stories to his cellmate, played by Raúl Juliá.
> His tales come across like old movies, but they reveal a subtle
> meaning.

Kiss Of The Spider Woman

> 6. This 1968 British musical adventure, co-written by Roald Dahl,
> is about a down-on-his-luck inventor who turns his jalopy into
> a flying fantasy car for his children.

Chitty Chitty Bang Bang

> 7. Stanley Kubrick's second film, released in 1955, is about a
> 29-year-old welterweight boxer, at the end of his career,
> who rescues his neighbor who's been kidnapped.

Big Bang, Last Kiss

> 8. This iconic 1947 film noir features Victor Mature as an ex-con
> trying to go straight. In his first role, Richard Widmark plays
> Mature's former partner; he is best remembered for the scene
> in which he straps an elderly woman into a wheelchair and sends
> her down a staircase. Ouch! The movie was remade in 1995, but
> if it matters, we're talking about the original version's title.

A Kiss Before Dying

> 9. Directed by John Frankenheimer, this 1989 movie starred Don
> Johnson as a Los Angeles County sheriff's deputy who uncovers
> a plot involving hate literature, white-supremacist militias,
> and arms trafficking. Filmed in Calgary, the movie also features
> Penelope Ann Miller.

Big Bang, Last Kiss

> 10. Geena Davis plays an amnesiac single mom trying to discover
> her past and enlisting the aid of a private investigator played
> by Samuel L. Jackson, in this convoluted thriller shot in the
> Greater Toronto Area in 1995.

Last Kiss Goodnight

Jason Kreitzer

May 14, 2017, 1:23:27 AM5/14/17
On Saturday, May 13, 2017 at 1:14:53 AM UTC-4, Mark Brader wrote:
> Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2017-01-23,

> Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
> the correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of 5 Easy Pieces and are
> used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have
> been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information see
> my 2016-11-26 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>

> * Game 2, Round 7 - Entertainment - "Kiss Kiss Bang Bang"
>
> In 1968 movie critic Pauline Kael published a quintessential film
> book titled "Kiss Kiss Bang Bang". In each case name the movie
> described -- which will have either "Kiss" or "Bang" in its title.
>
> 1. Ralph Meeker plays Mickey Spillane's Mike Hammer in this
> film-noir thriller with an apocalyptic ending, directed by
> Robert Aldrich and released in 1955.
>
> 2. Robert De Niro plays a halfwit catcher with a terminal illness
> in this 1973 baseball drama.
"Bang the Drum Slowly"
> 3. Robert Downey Jr. and Val Kilmer star in this 2005 murder
> mystery that brings together a private eye, a struggling
> actress, and a thief masquerading as an actor.
"Kiss Kiss Bang Bang"
> 4. Billy Wilder directed this 1964 comedy about a sleazebag crooner,
> played by Dean Martin, whose car breaks down in small-town
> America -- where a gas jockey and aspiring songwriter, played
> by Ray Walston, wants to sell Dean his songs. Dean hears
> that Walston has a hot wife, played by Felicia Farr, and
> Walston promises to pimp her out to the crooner -- but instead
> substitutes a local hooker, played by Kim Novak.
>
> 5. This 1985 drama stars William Hurt as a flamboyantly gay prisoner
> who tells stories to his cellmate, played by Raúl Juliá.
> His tales come across like old movies, but they reveal a subtle
> meaning.
"Kiss of the Spider Woman"
> 6. This 1968 British musical adventure, co-written by Roald Dahl,
> is about a down-on-his-luck inventor who turns his jalopy into
> a flying fantasy car for his children.
"Chitty Chitty Bang Bang"
> 7. Stanley Kubrick's second film, released in 1955, is about a
> 29-year-old welterweight boxer, at the end of his career,
> who rescues his neighbor who's been kidnapped.
>
> 8. This iconic 1947 film noir features Victor Mature as an ex-con
> trying to go straight. In his first role, Richard Widmark plays
> Mature's former partner; he is best remembered for the scene
> in which he straps an elderly woman into a wheelchair and sends
> her down a staircase. Ouch! The movie was remade in 1995, but
> if it matters, we're talking about the original version's title.
"Kiss of Death"
> 9. Directed by John Frankenheimer, this 1989 movie starred Don
> Johnson as a Los Angeles County sheriff's deputy who uncovers
> a plot involving hate literature, white-supremacist militias,
> and arms trafficking. Filmed in Calgary, the movie also features
> Penelope Ann Miller.
>
> 10. Geena Davis plays an amnesiac single mom trying to discover
> her past and enlisting the aid of a private investigator played
> by Samuel L. Jackson, in this convoluted thriller shot in the
> Greater Toronto Area in 1995.
"The Long Kiss Goodnight"

> * Game 2, Round 8 - Geography - Russia
>
> Given how much Russia is in the news lately, perhaps we should
> all bone up on things Russian. The following questions concern
> geography within the current borders of what is now officially
> called the Russian Federation.
>
> For all place names, give their conventional transcription used
> in English.
>
> 1. Found in the Caucasus, this 18,510-foot (5,642 m) mountain
> is the highest in Russia. Ancient Greek mythology saw it as
> the place where Zeus chained Prometheus. Name it.
>
> 2. At 2,294 miles (3,692 km) in length, what is the longest river
> in Russia? It rises in hills northwest of Moscow and empties
> into the Caspian Sea.
Volga?
> 3. This freshwater lake in Russia is the largest by volume and
> deepest in the world. With a maximum depth of 5,387 feet
> (1,642 m), it contains 1/5 of the world's fresh water. What is
> its name?
>
> 4. At 6,800 sq.mi. (17,700 km²), this lake is the largest within
> Russia by surface area. A methane lake on Saturn's moon Titan
> is named after it. Name the Russian lake.
>
> 5. Canada's international border with the US, at 5,525 miles
> (8,891 km), is still the longest between two countries.
> Since the breakup of the Soviet Union, the Russian Federation
> has had the second-largest international border. With a length
> of 4,254 miles (6,846 km), this Russian border is shared with
> which country?
Mongolia
> 6. Ignoring disputed territories, Russia has land borders today
> with 14 countries altogether -- 8 former Soviet republics and
> 6 others. Which of the second group -- which country that
> was not a Soviet republic, but does border Russia -- extends
> farthest west?
Finland
> 7. Currently, Russia boasts 26 UNESCO World Heritage Sites -- 10
> natural and 16 cultural. One of the natural sites features some
> of the world's most magnificent volcanoes -- and is located on
> what Far East Russian peninsula?
>
> 8. Considered by many scientists to be the oldest in the world,
> this mountain range in Russia is found far to the west of
> <answer 7> and divides European Russia from Asian Russia.
> What is it?
Urals

Pete Gayde

May 14, 2017, 7:41:09 PM5/14/17
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:SfCdnaX--sPVC4vEnZ2dnUU7-
UHN...@giganews.com:

> Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2017-01-23,

> Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
> the correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of 5 Easy Pieces and are
> used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have
> been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information see
> my 2016-11-26 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>

> * Game 2, Round 7 - Entertainment - "Kiss Kiss Bang Bang"
>
> In 1968 movie critic Pauline Kael published a quintessential film
> book titled "Kiss Kiss Bang Bang". In each case name the movie
> described -- which will have either "Kiss" or "Bang" in its title.
>
> 1. Ralph Meeker plays Mickey Spillane's Mike Hammer in this
> film-noir thriller with an apocalyptic ending, directed by
> Robert Aldrich and released in 1955.
>
> 2. Robert De Niro plays a halfwit catcher with a terminal illness
> in this 1973 baseball drama.

Bang the Drum Slowly

> 3. Robert Downey Jr. and Val Kilmer star in this 2005 murder
> mystery that brings together a private eye, a struggling
> actress, and a thief masquerading as an actor.
>
> 4. Billy Wilder directed this 1964 comedy about a sleazebag crooner,
> played by Dean Martin, whose car breaks down in small-town
> America -- where a gas jockey and aspiring songwriter, played
> by Ray Walston, wants to sell Dean his songs. Dean hears
> that Walston has a hot wife, played by Felicia Farr, and
> Walston promises to pimp her out to the crooner -- but instead
> substitutes a local hooker, played by Kim Novak.
>
> 5. This 1985 drama stars William Hurt as a flamboyantly gay prisoner
> who tells stories to his cellmate, played by Raúl Juliá.
> His tales come across like old movies, but they reveal a subtle
> meaning.
>
> 6. This 1968 British musical adventure, co-written by Roald Dahl,
> is about a down-on-his-luck inventor who turns his jalopy into
> a flying fantasy car for his children.

Chitty Chitty Bang Bang
Erebus

> 2. At 2,294 miles (3,692 km) in length, what is the longest river
> in Russia? It rises in hills northwest of Moscow and empties
> into the Caspian Sea.

Volga

> 3. This freshwater lake in Russia is the largest by volume and
> deepest in the world. With a maximum depth of 5,387 feet
> (1,642 m), it contains 1/5 of the world's fresh water. What is
> its name?

Caspian Sea

> 4. At 6,800 sq.mi. (17,700 km²), this lake is the largest within
> Russia by surface area. A methane lake on Saturn's moon Titan
> is named after it. Name the Russian lake.
>
> 5. Canada's international border with the US, at 5,525 miles
> (8,891 km), is still the longest between two countries.
> Since the breakup of the Soviet Union, the Russian Federation
> has had the second-largest international border. With a length
> of 4,254 miles (6,846 km), this Russian border is shared with
> which country?

China; Kazakhstan

> 6. Ignoring disputed territories, Russia has land borders today
> with 14 countries altogether -- 8 former Soviet republics and
> 6 others. Which of the second group -- which country that
> was not a Soviet republic, but does border Russia -- extends
> farthest west?

Poland

> 7. Currently, Russia boasts 26 UNESCO World Heritage Sites -- 10
> natural and 16 cultural. One of the natural sites features some
> of the world's most magnificent volcanoes -- and is located on
> what Far East Russian peninsula?

Kamchatka

> 8. Considered by many scientists to be the oldest in the world,
> this mountain range in Russia is found far to the west of
> <answer 7> and divides European Russia from Asian Russia.
> What is it?

Urals

> 9. Russia once shared this North Pacific island with Japan.
> It is Russia's largest. Name it.
>
> 10. This Far North Russian archipelago separates the Barents Sea
> from the Kara Sea in the Arctic Ocean, and forms an extension
> of <answer 8>. It briefly served as a Nazi seaplane base,
> established by U-boats. In the Cold War era, Russia tested more
> than 200 nuclear devices on the archipelago. What is it called?

Pete Gayde

Marc Dashevsky

May 15, 2017, 5:23:06 AM5/15/17
In article <SfCdnaX--sPVC4vE...@giganews.com>, m...@vex.net says...
> * Game 2, Round 7 - Entertainment - "Kiss Kiss Bang Bang"
>
> In 1968 movie critic Pauline Kael published a quintessential film
> book titled "Kiss Kiss Bang Bang". In each case name the movie
> described -- which will have either "Kiss" or "Bang" in its title.
>
> 1. Ralph Meeker plays Mickey Spillane's Mike Hammer in this
> film-noir thriller with an apocalyptic ending, directed by
> Robert Aldrich and released in 1955.
Kiss Me Deadly

> 2. Robert De Niro plays a halfwit catcher with a terminal illness
> in this 1973 baseball drama.
Bang The Drum Slowly

> 3. Robert Downey Jr. and Val Kilmer star in this 2005 murder
> mystery that brings together a private eye, a struggling
> actress, and a thief masquerading as an actor.
>
> 4. Billy Wilder directed this 1964 comedy about a sleazebag crooner,
> played by Dean Martin, whose car breaks down in small-town
> America -- where a gas jockey and aspiring songwriter, played
> by Ray Walston, wants to sell Dean his songs. Dean hears
> that Walston has a hot wife, played by Felicia Farr, and
> Walston promises to pimp her out to the crooner -- but instead
> substitutes a local hooker, played by Kim Novak.
>
> 5. This 1985 drama stars William Hurt as a flamboyantly gay prisoner
> who tells stories to his cellmate, played by Raúl Juliá.
> His tales come across like old movies, but they reveal a subtle
> meaning.
Kiss Of The Spiderwoman

> 6. This 1968 British musical adventure, co-written by Roald Dahl,
> is about a down-on-his-luck inventor who turns his jalopy into
> a flying fantasy car for his children.
Chitty Chitty Bang Bang
Volga

> 3. This freshwater lake in Russia is the largest by volume and
> deepest in the world. With a maximum depth of 5,387 feet
> (1,642 m), it contains 1/5 of the world's fresh water. What is
> its name?
Baikal

> 4. At 6,800 sq.mi. (17,700 km²), this lake is the largest within
> Russia by surface area. A methane lake on Saturn's moon Titan
> is named after it. Name the Russian lake.
>
> 5. Canada's international border with the US, at 5,525 miles
> (8,891 km), is still the longest between two countries.
> Since the breakup of the Soviet Union, the Russian Federation
> has had the second-largest international border. With a length
> of 4,254 miles (6,846 km), this Russian border is shared with
> which country?
Kazakhstan

> 6. Ignoring disputed territories, Russia has land borders today
> with 14 countries altogether -- 8 former Soviet republics and
> 6 others. Which of the second group -- which country that
> was not a Soviet republic, but does border Russia -- extends
> farthest west?
Norway

> 7. Currently, Russia boasts 26 UNESCO World Heritage Sites -- 10
> natural and 16 cultural. One of the natural sites features some
> of the world's most magnificent volcanoes -- and is located on
> what Far East Russian peninsula?
>
> 8. Considered by many scientists to be the oldest in the world,
> this mountain range in Russia is found far to the west of
> <answer 7> and divides European Russia from Asian Russia.
> What is it?
Ural

> 9. Russia once shared this North Pacific island with Japan.
> It is Russia's largest. Name it.
>
> 10. This Far North Russian archipelago separates the Barents Sea
> from the Kara Sea in the Arctic Ocean, and forms an extension
> of <answer 8>. It briefly served as a Nazi seaplane base,
> established by U-boats. In the Cold War era, Russia tested more
> than 200 nuclear devices on the archipelago. What is it called?

Mark Brader

May 16, 2017, 4:35:52 AM5/16/17
Mark Brader:
> Mark Brader:

(Oops.)

> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2017-01-23,
> see my 2016-11-26 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

> * Game 2, Round 7 - Entertainment - "Kiss Kiss Bang Bang"

> In 1968 movie critic Pauline Kael published a quintessential film
> book titled "Kiss Kiss Bang Bang". In each case name the movie
> described -- which will have either "Kiss" or "Bang" in its title.

> 1. Ralph Meeker plays Mickey Spillane's Mike Hammer in this
> film-noir thriller with an apocalyptic ending, directed by
> Robert Aldrich and released in 1955.

"Kiss Me Deadly". 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, and Marc.

> 2. Robert De Niro plays a halfwit catcher with a terminal illness
> in this 1973 baseball drama.

"Bang the Drum Slowly". 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, Gareth, Jason,
Pete, and Marc.

> 3. Robert Downey Jr. and Val Kilmer star in this 2005 murder
> mystery that brings together a private eye, a struggling
> actress, and a thief masquerading as an actor.

"Kiss Kiss Bang Bang". (Yes!) 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, Gareth,
and Jason.

> 4. Billy Wilder directed this 1964 comedy about a sleazebag crooner,
> played by Dean Martin, whose car breaks down in small-town
> America -- where a gas jockey and aspiring songwriter, played
> by Ray Walston, wants to sell Dean his songs. Dean hears
> that Walston has a hot wife, played by Felicia Farr, and
> Walston promises to pimp her out to the crooner -- but instead
> substitutes a local hooker, played by Kim Novak.

"Kiss Me Stupid". 4 for Joshua.

> 5. This 1985 drama stars William Hurt as a flamboyantly gay prisoner
> who tells stories to his cellmate, played by Raúl Juliá.
> His tales come across like old movies, but they reveal a subtle
> meaning.

"Kiss of the Spider Woman". 4 for Joshua, Calvin, Dan Blum, Gareth,
Jason, and Marc.

> 6. This 1968 British musical adventure, co-written by Roald Dahl,
> is about a down-on-his-luck inventor who turns his jalopy into
> a flying fantasy car for his children.

"Chitty Chitty Bang Bang". 4 for Joshua, Dan Tilque, Calvin, Peter,
Dan Blum, Gareth, Jason, Pete, and Marc.

> 7. Stanley Kubrick's second film, released in 1955, is about a
> 29-year-old welterweight boxer, at the end of his career,
> who rescues his neighbor who's been kidnapped.

"Killer's Kiss". 4 for Joshua.

> 8. This iconic 1947 film noir features Victor Mature as an ex-con
> trying to go straight. In his first role, Richard Widmark plays
> Mature's former partner; he is best remembered for the scene
> in which he straps an elderly woman into a wheelchair and sends
> her down a staircase. Ouch! The movie was remade in 1995, but
> if it matters, we're talking about the original version's title.

"Kiss of Death". (Which was in fact also the 1995 title.)
4 for Joshua and Jason.

> 9. Directed by John Frankenheimer, this 1989 movie starred Don
> Johnson as a Los Angeles County sheriff's deputy who uncovers
> a plot involving hate literature, white-supremacist militias,
> and arms trafficking. Filmed in Calgary, the movie also features
> Penelope Ann Miller.

"Dead Bang". 4 for Joshua.

> 10. Geena Davis plays an amnesiac single mom trying to discover
> her past and enlisting the aid of a private investigator played
> by Samuel L. Jackson, in this convoluted thriller shot in the
> Greater Toronto Area in 1995.

"The Long Kiss Goodnight". 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, and Jason.
3 for Gareth.

> * Game 2, Round 8 - Geography - Russia

> Given how much Russia is in the news lately, perhaps we should
> all bone up on things Russian. The following questions concern
> geography within the current borders of what is now officially
> called the Russian Federation.

> For all place names, give their conventional transcription used
> in English.

> 1. Found in the Caucasus, this 18,510-foot (5,642 m) mountain
> is the highest in Russia. Ancient Greek mythology saw it as
> the place where Zeus chained Prometheus. Name it.

Mt. Elbrus. 4 for Joshua, Erland, and Peter.

Several entrants tried Mt. Erebus. Sorry, but that's a different
mountain -- 15,500 km away in Antarctica!

> 2. At 2,294 miles (3,692 km) in length, what is the longest river
> in Russia? It rises in hills northwest of Moscow and empties
> into the Caspian Sea.

Volga R. 4 for Joshua, Dan Tilque, Erland, Calvin, Dan Blum, Jason,
Pete, and Marc.

> 3. This freshwater lake in Russia is the largest by volume and
> deepest in the world. With a maximum depth of 5,387 feet
> (1,642 m), it contains 1/5 of the world's fresh water. What is
> its name?

L. Baikal. 4 for Joshua, Dan Tilque, Erland, Calvin, Peter,
Dan Blum, and Marc.

> 4. At 6,800 sq.mi. (17,700 km²), this lake is the largest within
> Russia by surface area. A methane lake on Saturn's moon Titan
> is named after it. Name the Russian lake.

L. Ladoga. 4 for Erland and Dan Blum.

> 5. Canada's international border with the US, at 5,525 miles
> (8,891 km), is still the longest between two countries.
> Since the breakup of the Soviet Union, the Russian Federation
> has had the second-largest international border. With a length
> of 4,254 miles (6,846 km), this Russian border is shared with
> which country?

Kazakhstan. 4 for Dan Tilque, Erland, Peter, and Marc. 3 for Joshua.
2 for Pete.

> 6. Ignoring disputed territories, Russia has land borders today
> with 14 countries altogether -- 8 former Soviet republics and
> 6 others. Which of the second group -- which country that
> was not a Soviet republic, but does border Russia -- extends
> farthest west?

Norway. 4 for Joshua and Marc. 3 for Dan Blum. And shame for Erland!

(It's followed in order by Poland, Finland, China, Mongolia,
and North Korea. The 8 former Soviet republics, also in order by
westernmost point, are Lithuania, Latvia, Estonia, Ukraine, Belarus,
Georgia, Azerbaijan, and Kazakhstan.)

> 7. Currently, Russia boasts 26 UNESCO World Heritage Sites -- 10
> natural and 16 cultural. One of the natural sites features some
> of the world's most magnificent volcanoes -- and is located on
> what Far East Russian peninsula?

Kamchatka Peninsula. 4 for Joshua, Dan Tilque, Erland, Dan Blum,
and Pete.

> 8. Considered by many scientists to be the oldest in the world,
> this mountain range in Russia is found far to the west of
> <answer 7> and divides European Russia from Asian Russia.
> What is it?

Ural Mtns. 4 for Joshua, Dan Tilque, Erland, Peter, Dan Blum, Jason,
Pete, and Marc.

> 9. Russia once shared this North Pacific island with Japan.
> It is Russia's largest. Name it.

Sakhalin I. 4 for Joshua, Dan Tilque, Erland, and Dan Blum.

> 10. This Far North Russian archipelago separates the Barents Sea
> from the Kara Sea in the Arctic Ocean, and forms an extension
> of <answer 8>. It briefly served as a Nazi seaplane base,
> established by U-boats. In the Cold War era, Russia tested more
> than 200 nuclear devices on the archipelago. What is it called?

Novaya Zemlya. I accepted "Novaya Zelyma". 4 for Erland.

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAME 2 ROUNDS-> 2 3 4 6 7 8 BEST
TOPICS-> Can Spo Sci His Ent Geo FOUR
Joshua Kreitzer 4 23 24 20 40 31 118