Calvin's Quiz #465

Calvin

Nov 27, 2016, 9:21:22 PM11/27/16

1 In which city is the Kentucky Derby run?
2 In 2008 which American financier (and one-time friend of Prince Andrew) began an 18 month prison sentence for soliciting under-age sex?
3 Which country's national symbol is a lotus flower?
4 Originally a Latin term, what two-word name was commonly given to the study of nature and the physical universe before the development of modern science?
5 How many chromosomes do most humans have?
6 With which musical instrument does one associate Sir Yehudi Menuhin?
7 What nationality was tennis player Michael Chang?
8 A manufacturer of kitchen and laundry appliances, Asko is based in which European country?
9 In basketball, which eight-letter term is used to describe someone who regularly plays in both the guard and forward positions?
10 Who was the Greek god of wealth?

cheers,
calvin

Mark Brader

Nov 27, 2016, 9:49:35 PM11/27/16
"Calvin":
> 1 In which city is the Kentucky Derby run?

Louisville.

> 2 In 2008 which American financier (and one-time friend of Prince
> Andrew) began an 18 month prison sentence for soliciting
> under-age sex?

Johnson.

> 3 Which country's national symbol is a lotus flower?

Thailand?

> 4 Originally a Latin term, what two-word name was commonly given
> to the study of nature and the physical universe before the
> development of modern science?

Natural philosophy.

> 5 How many chromosomes do most humans have?

46.

> 6 With which musical instrument does one associate Sir Yehudi Menuhin?

Violin.

> 7 What nationality was tennis player Michael Chang?

American?

> 8 A manufacturer of kitchen and laundry appliances, Asko is based
> in which European country?

Sweden?

> 9 In basketball, which eight-letter term is used to describe
> someone who regularly plays in both the guard and forward
> positions?

Confused. :-)

> 10 Who was the Greek god of wealth?

Donaldios Trumpios.
--
Mark Brader ...the scariest words of the afternoon:
Toronto "Hey, don't worry, I've read all about

Erland Sommarskog

Nov 28, 2016, 3:21:06 AM11/28/16
Calvin (334...@gmail.com) writes:
> 1 In which city is the Kentucky Derby run?

UK

> 3 Which country's national symbol is a lotus flower?

India

> 5 How many chromosomes do most humans have?

48

> 7 What nationality was tennis player Michael Chang?

US

> 8 A manufacturer of kitchen and laundry appliances, Asko is based in
> which European country?

Finland

Marc Dashevsky

Nov 28, 2016, 9:55:24 AM11/28/16
In article <a92f8fdf-59fb-40b1...@googlegroups.com>, 334...@gmail.com says...

> 1 In which city is the Kentucky Derby run?
Louisville KY

> 2 In 2008 which American financier (and one-time friend of Prince Andrew) began an 18 month prison sentence for soliciting under-age sex?
> 3 Which country's national symbol is a lotus flower?
India

> 4 Originally a Latin term, what two-word name was commonly given to the study of nature and the physical universe before the development of modern science?
Natural Philosophy

> 5 How many chromosomes do most humans have?
23 pairs = 46 total

> 6 With which musical instrument does one associate Sir Yehudi Menuhin?
violin

> 7 What nationality was tennis player Michael Chang?
U.S.A.

> 8 A manufacturer of kitchen and laundry appliances, Asko is based in which European country?
> 9 In basketball, which eight-letter term is used to describe someone who regularly plays in both the guard and forward positions?
swingman

> 10 Who was the Greek god of wealth?
>
> cheers,
> calvin

Chris F.A. Johnson

Nov 28, 2016, 11:08:03 AM11/28/16
On 2016-11-28, Calvin wrote:

> 1 In which city is the Kentucky Derby run?

Louisville

> 2 In 2008 which American financier (and one-time friend of Prince Andrew) began an 18 month prison sentence for soliciting under-age sex?
> 3 Which country's national symbol is a lotus flower?

India (and I think there are others)

> 4 Originally a Latin term, what two-word name was commonly given to the study of nature and the physical universe before the development of modern science?

Natural philosophy

> 5 How many chromosomes do most humans have?

24 pairs

> 6 With which musical instrument does one associate Sir Yehudi Menuhin?

Violin

> 7 What nationality was tennis player Michael Chang?

USA

> 8 A manufacturer of kitchen and laundry appliances, Asko is based in which European country?

Sweden

> 9 In basketball, which eight-letter term is used to describe someone who regularly plays in both the guard and forward positions?
> 10 Who was the Greek god of wealth?

Pluto

--
Chris F.A. Johnson

Gareth Owen

Nov 28, 2016, 1:34:39 PM11/28/16
Calvin <334...@gmail.com> writes:

> 1 In which city is the Kentucky Derby run?

Lexington

> 2 In 2008 which American financier (and one-time friend of Prince
> Andrew) began an 18 month prison sentence for soliciting under-age
> sex?

Nope

> 3 Which country's national symbol is a lotus flower?

India

> 4 Originally a Latin term, what two-word name was commonly given to
> the study of nature and the physical universe before the development
> of modern science?

Natural Philosoophy

> 5 How many chromosomes do most humans have?

23 pairs

> 6 With which musical instrument does one associate Sir Yehudi Menuhin?

Violin

> 7 What nationality was tennis player Michael Chang?

YS

> 8 A manufacturer of kitchen and laundry appliances, Asko is based in
> which European country?

Sweden

> 9 In basketball, which eight-letter term is used to describe someone
> who regularly plays in both the guard and forward positions?

Swingman

> 10 Who was the Greek god of wealth?

Croesus??

Pete

Nov 28, 2016, 5:32:22 PM11/28/16
Calvin <334...@gmail.com> wrote in

> 1 In which city is the Kentucky Derby run?

Louisville, Kentucky

> 2 In 2008 which American financier (and one-time friend of Prince
> Andrew) began an 18 month prison sentence for soliciting under-age
> sex?
> 3 Which country's national symbol is a lotus flower?

India

> 4 Originally a Latin term, what two-word name was commonly given
> to the study of nature and the physical universe before the
> development of modern science?
> 5 How many chromosomes do most humans have?

23

> 6 With which musical instrument does one associate
> Sir Yehudi Menuhin?

Violin

> 7 What nationality was tennis player Michael Chang?

United States

> 8 A manufacturer of kitchen and laundry appliances, Asko is
> based in which European country?

Finland

> 9 In basketball, which
> eight-letter term is used to describe someone who regularly plays in
> both the guard and forward positions?

Swingman

> 10 Who was the Greek god of wealth?
>
> cheers,
> calvin

Pete Gayde

Mark Brader

Nov 28, 2016, 6:24:25 PM11/28/16
"Calvin":
> > 5 How many chromosomes do most humans have?

Pete Gayde:
> 23

Y'know, there's a case for accepting that answer, considering that we
refer to "Chromosome 1", "Chromosome 2", and so on when there are
actually two of each. But if you did reason that way, then about
half of humans would have 24 (1-22, X, and Y) rather than 23.
I don't know offhand which group outnumbers the other worldwide, to
qualify as "most humans".

But considering that Calvin said "most humans" and not "most cells in
humans", the correct answer is apparently about 1,700,000,000,000,000.
(This is based on a recent estimate of the total number of cells in
the human body, which it turns out is not actually known very well.)
--
Mark Brader, Toronto / "A computer makes it possible to do, in half an hour,
m...@vex.net / tasks which were completely unnecessary to do before."

Dan Tilque

Nov 28, 2016, 10:23:22 PM11/28/16
Calvin wrote:
> 1 In which city is the Kentucky Derby run?

Louisville, KY

> 2 In 2008 which American financier (and one-time friend of Prince Andrew) began an 18 month prison sentence for soliciting under-age sex?
> 3 Which country's national symbol is a lotus flower?

Nepal

> 4 Originally a Latin term, what two-word name was commonly given to the study of nature and the physical universe before the development of modern science?

Natural Philosophy

> 5 How many chromosomes do most humans have?

46

> 6 With which musical instrument does one associate Sir Yehudi Menuhin?
> 7 What nationality was tennis player Michael Chang?

American

> 8 A manufacturer of kitchen and laundry appliances, Asko is based in which European country?
> 9 In basketball, which eight-letter term is used to describe someone who regularly plays in both the guard and forward positions?
> 10 Who was the Greek god of wealth?

Hermes

--
Dan Tilque

Dan Tilque

Nov 28, 2016, 10:32:12 PM11/28/16
Gareth Owen wrote:
> Calvin <334...@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> 7 What nationality was tennis player Michael Chang?
>
> YS

Ys has not been a country for a long, long time.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ys

--
Dan Tilque

Peter Smyth

Nov 29, 2016, 12:07:22 PM11/29/16
Calvin wrote:

> 1 In which city is the Kentucky Derby run?
Frankfort
> 2 In 2008 which American financier (and one-time friend of Prince
> Andrew) began an 18 month prison sentence for soliciting under-age
> sex?
Jeffrey Goldberg?
> 3 Which country's national symbol is a lotus flower?
Japan
> 4 Originally a Latin term, what two-word name was commonly given to
> the study of nature and the physical universe before the development
> of modern science?
Life Science
> 5 How many chromosomes do most humans have?
46
> 6 With which musical instrument does one associate Sir Yehudi Menuhin?
Violin
> 7 What nationality was tennis player Michael Chang?
American
> 8 A manufacturer of kitchen and laundry appliances, Asko is based in
> which European country?
Germany
> 9 In basketball, which eight-letter term is used to describe someone
> who regularly plays in both the guard and forward positions?

> 10 Who was the Greek god of wealth?

Peter Smyth

Calvin

Dec 1, 2016, 11:42:50 PM12/1/16
On Monday, November 28, 2016 at 12:21:22 PM UTC+10, Calvin wrote:

> 1 In which city is the Kentucky Derby run?

Louisville

> 2 In 2008 which American financier (and one-time friend of Prince Andrew) began an 18 month prison sentence for soliciting under-age sex?

Jeffrey Epstein
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeffrey_Epstein

> 3 Which country's national symbol is a lotus flower?

India

> 4 Originally a Latin term, what two-word name was commonly given to the study of nature and the physical universe before the development of modern science?

Natural Philosophy

> 5 How many chromosomes do most humans have?

46

> 6 With which musical instrument does one associate Sir Yehudi Menuhin?

Violin

> 7 What nationality was tennis player Michael Chang?

American

> 8 A manufacturer of kitchen and laundry appliances, Asko is based in which European country?

Sweden

> 9 In basketball, which eight-letter term is used to describe someone who regularly plays in both the guard and forward positions?

Swingman

> 10 Who was the Greek god of wealth?

Plutus / Ploutus
http://www.theoi.com/Georgikos/Ploutos.html

Q1 Q2 Q3 Q4 Q5 Q6 Q7 Q8 Q9 Q10 TOTAL TB Quiz 465
1 0 1 1 1 1 1 0 1 1 8 38 Marc Dashevsky
0 0 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 0 7 35 Gareth Owen
1 0 0 1 1 1 1 1 0 0 6 32 Mark Brader
1 0 1 1 0 1 1 1 0 0 6 32 Chris Johnson
1 0 1 0 0 1 1 0 1 0 5 27 Pete Gayde
1 0 0 1 1 0 1 0 0 0 4 23 Dan Tilque
0 0 0 0 1 1 1 0 0 0 3 19 Peter Smyth
0 0 1 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 2 13 Erland S

That was a tough set. Congratulations Marc.

cheers,
calvin

Erland Sommarskog

Dec 2, 2016, 3:11:57 AM12/2/16
Calvin (334...@gmail.com) writes:
>> 8 A manufacturer of kitchen and laundry appliances, Asko is based in
which European country?

> Sweden

Nope.

As people started to answer Sweden, I got a little curious and did some
research. Once having found the answer I said to myself "no one will get
this right, not even the quiz master".

The correct answer is Slovenia.

Indeed Asko, has a Swedish origin. On http://www.asko.se/om-asko/historik
I learnt that the first washing machine from Asko was produced in 1950 in
Vara, which is in Sweden. 1952 they produced their first refrigerator in
Lathi, which is in Finland, the answer given by me and one more entrant.

In 2000, ASKO was acquired by Antonio Merloni, which sounds like an Italian
name.

In 2010, ASKO was acquired by Gorenje Group, which is a Slovenian company.
And in 2013, the production of washing and laundry appliances were moved
from Sweden to Slovenia. Whether there still is any production in Sweden
or Finland, I don't know.

There is still a company ASKO Applicance AB, and according to
http://www.allabolag.se/5565779054/asko-appliances-ab they are based in
Lidköping, which is not too far from Vara. However, the managing director
has a name which appears to be Slovenian. To confuse matters more, the
owning company is said to be Gorenje Nederland BV.

Had the question been were Asko originates from, Sweden would be the
only reasonable answer. But now the question is where they are based,
and this case I would suggest that Finland and Sweden are on equal
level. That is, either Slovenia is the only correct answer, but if
Calvin wants to approve Sweden, Finland should be scored correct too.

Now you may ask, why I answered Finland and not Sweden. The truth is
that was just a quick guess. You see, Asko is not a particularly well-
known brand in Sweden. Their consumer products goes under the brand
Cylinda (from a company ASKO bought in 1988. The ASKO brand is more
used for appliances sold to industrial and other commercial customers.
For instance, I recall now that when we last year bought some new
washing machines to the laundry room in our block of flats, we were
offered prices for some ASKO machines. (But we eventually went with
Electrolux.)

Mark Brader

Dec 2, 2016, 3:52:58 AM12/2/16
"Calvin":
>>> 8 A manufacturer of kitchen and laundry appliances, Asko is based in
>>> which European country?

Erland Sommarskog:
> In 2010, ASKO was acquired by Gorenje Group, which is a Slovenian company.
> And in 2013, the production of washing and laundry appliances were moved
> from Sweden to Slovenia. Whether there still is any production in Sweden
> or Finland, I don't know.
>
> There is still a company ASKO Applicance AB, and according to
> http://www.allabolag.se/5565779054/asko-appliances-ab they are based in
> Lidköping, which is not too far from Vara. However, the managing director
> has a name which appears to be Slovenian. To confuse matters more, the
> owning company is said to be Gorenje Nederland BV.

The question was about where they are based, i.e. headquartered, not
where the ownership or production is located, or the nationality of the
management. From what you say, it appears that Calvin's expected answer
is the only correct answer, no matter whether or not any of us were aware
of the details behind it.
--
Mark Brader | "Unless developers are careful, good software
Toronto | attracts so many improvements that it eventually

Erland Sommarskog

Dec 2, 2016, 6:37:42 AM12/2/16
Mark Brader (m...@vex.net) writes:
> The question was about where they are based, i.e. headquartered, not
> where the ownership or production is located, or the nationality of the
> management. From what you say, it appears that Calvin's expected answer
> is the only correct answer, no matter whether or not any of us were aware
> of the details behind it.

I did not mention it, but on the web site I mentioned, it says that
Asko Appliances AB is into "technical consulting" - they are not a
manufacturer. What they do I don't know, but it could be the local
sales organisation.

Overall, questions about companies and products can be tricky, since
they often act on a global market. For instance, what nationality would
you ascribe to the CRM systems Dynamics and Navision?

By the way, there was point on the history I did not notice previously. It
says that ASKO was launched as late as 2009 in Sweden. That could explain
why I was so unaware of them.

Marc Dashevsky

Dec 2, 2016, 12:00:49 PM12/2/16
I did not answer #10 correctly.

In article <f242ae2a-85e0-46d3...@googlegroups.com>, 334...@gmail.com says...

Mark Brader

Dec 2, 2016, 2:07:39 PM12/2/16
Mark Brader:
>> The question was about where they are based, i.e. headquartered, not
>> where the ownership or production is located, or the nationality of the
>> management. From what you say, it appears that Calvin's expected answer
>> is the only correct answer, no matter whether or not any of us were aware
>> of the details behind it.

Erland Sommarskog:
> I did not mention it, but on the web site I mentioned, it says that
> Asko Appliances AB is into "technical consulting" - they are not a
> manufacturer.

Then indeed that changes things. Possibly there is no correct answer.
--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "Every new technology carries with it an opportunity
m...@vex.net | to invent a new crime" -- Laurence A. Urgenson

Erland Sommarskog

Dec 2, 2016, 3:52:57 PM12/2/16
Mark Brader (m...@vex.net) writes:
> Then indeed that changes things. Possibly there is no correct answer.

That is an accurate observation, since it seems that Asko is not
a manufacturer at all these days, only a brand.

Just to beat this dead horse a little more. Assume that Calvin instead
had asked the question about IKEA.

If we would go by the rule "where the headquaters are", the answer would
be the Netherlands. That's another example of why it's precarious to
ask this type of question. It may be better to ask where a company
origins from.

> Overall, questions about companies and products can be tricky, since
> they often act on a global market. For instance, what nationality would
> you ascribe to the CRM systems Dynamics and Navision?

I don't think anyone cares, and it was not really meant as a trivia
question. Anyway, Originally these products were developed by two
Danish companies who merged around year 2000. About a year later, the
merged company was bought by Microsoft, why I guess many people today
would think of it as American products. However, as I understand, most
of the development of the systems is still done in Denmark. And they
are still two products.

Mark Brader

Dec 2, 2016, 5:46:29 PM12/2/16
Erland Sommarskog:
> > Overall, questions about companies and products can be tricky...

Just for the record: Erland was quoting himself there, not me as indicated.
(No big deal.)
--
Mark Brader|"But how can we do something about something that isn't happening?"
Toronto |"It's much easier to solve an imaginary problem than a real one."

Calvin

Dec 4, 2016, 8:25:15 PM12/4/16
On Saturday, December 3, 2016 at 3:00:49 AM UTC+10, Marc Dashevsky wrote:

> I did not answer #10 correctly.

Note thanks Marc. I have also awarded Erland the point for the Asko question, as he has demonstrated sufficient understanding given the flawed question.

Q1 Q2 Q3 Q4 Q5 Q6 Q7 Q8 Q9 Q10 TOTAL TB Quiz 465
0 0 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 0 7 36 Gareth Owen
1 0 1 1 1 1 1 0 1 0 7 37 Marc Dashevsky
1 0 0 1 1 1 1 1 0 0 6 33 Mark Brader
1 0 1 1 0 1 1 1 0 0 6 33 Chris Johnson
1 0 1 0 0 1 1 0 1 0 5 27 Pete Gayde
1 0 0 1 1 0 1 0 0 0 4 23 Dan Tilque
0 0 1 0 0 0 1 1 0 0 3 17 Erland S
0 0 0 0 1 1 1 0 0 0 3 19 Peter Smyth
5 0 5 5 5 6 8 4 3 0 41 51%

Congratulations Gareth (assuming there are no further adjustments).

cheers,
calvin