QFTCI5EP Game 4, Rounds 2-3: Blue Jays and contraception

Mark Brader

May 31, 2017, 10:36:26 PM5/31/17
These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2017-02-06,
and should be interpreted accordingly.

Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
the correct answers in about 3 days.

All questions were written by members of 5 Easy Pieces and are
used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have
been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information see
my 2016-11-26 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

* Game 4, Round 2 - Canadiana Sports - Early Toronto Blue Jays

In honor of the Toronto Blue Jays' 40th anniversary this year,
here's some trivia about the team in its early years -- you know,
before St. Bautista arrived.

As usual, where a team is asked for, the city name is sufficient
only if it is the only major-league team in that city.

1. Which team did the Blue Jays face at home in their first Major
League Baseball game on 1977-04-07?

2. During that first game, which American first baseman and
designated hitter, picked up by the Jays in the 1976 expansion
draft, hit the first two home runs in Jays franchise history,
helping Toronto to a 9-5 win?

3. Despite the team's last-place finish in 1979, which Blue Jays
shortstop was named the co-winner of the American League Rookie
of the Year award?

4. In 1980 this first baseman became the first Jay to hit 30 home
runs in a season. After his retirement in 1982, he spent 5 years
as a coach in the Blue Jays' farm system and 2 years as a coach
for another former team, the Kansas City Royals. Who is he?

5. In what year did the Blue Jays' new retractable-roofed home,
SkyDome, open in the mid-season?

6. Who is the only Blue Jay pitcher to throw a no-hitter,
accomplishing the feat in 1990 against the Cleveland Indians?

7. After the 1991 season ended, the Blue Jays acquired which
pitcher, who had led the Minnesota Twins to victory in the World
Series that year by pitching a complete 10-inning shutout in
Game 7 and had been named the World Series MVP?

8. In 1993 three Blue Jays finished 1-2-3 in the American League
batting average race -- the first time three teammates had
done so in 100 years. They were Robbie Alomar, Paul Molitor,
and who else?

9. Game 4 of the 1993 World Series remains the highest-scoring
game in the history of the Series. The home team was up 14-9
in the top of the 8th inning when the Blue Jays rallied to
score 6 runs on hits from Paul Molitor, Tony Fernández, Rickey
Henderson, and Devon White, and take game 15-14. Who were
their opponents?

10. Before the 1995 season, which long-time Blue Jays general
manager resigned and handed the reins of the team to Toronto
native Gord Ash?

* Game 4, Round 3 - History - Contraception

1. Condoms have been around since at least the 16th century but
were used primarily to prevent disease, not pregnancy.
Aside from animal intestines, name any one of the materials
primarily used in Europe or Asia before 1844.

2. Pessaries were a common ancient form of birth control.
Typical ingredients included honey, acacia gum, and plant matter.
What *is* a pessary, in this context?

3. Name the biblical character in Genesis who practised the
withdrawal method and was slain by God as a result.

4. Many plants used in ancient Greece have been found to have
contraceptive properties. What royally named common weed is
still used for birth control in India today?

5. The invention of vulcanized rubber in 1844 paved the way for
reliable condoms. It also resulted in what other birth-control
device, in the 1880s?

6. A British cleric and scholar who wrote "An Essay on the Principle
of Population" became the inspiration for a group, established
in 1877, which promoted contraception and was closely tied to
the feminist movement. Name this scholar.

7. Name the American feminist who was jailed for distributing
contraceptives in 1916 and who popularized the phrase "birth
control".

8. Enovid was the first birth-control pill approved for sale in the
United States, but it was only approved for menstrual disorders.
In fact, the company never marketed it as a contraceptive,
but by the time it was approved for that use, almost 500,000
women had already used it. Within one year either way, when
was it initially approved?

9. The first IUD was developed in 1909 and was made from silkworm
gut. The first modern T-shaped IUD was developed in the 1960s,
and with some minor changes, is still in use today. What is
the main spermicidal material used in this IUD?

10. Ernst Gräfenberg invented the first "ring contraceptive", made
of silver filaments. His work was suppressed during the Nazi
regime on the grounds that it was a threat to Aryan women.
But what *other* controversial discovery was named after
Dr. Gräfenberg in 1981?

--
Mark Brader "To err is human, but to really mess things up
Toronto you need a timetable planner!"

Joshua Kreitzer

Jun 1, 2017, 12:53:35 AM6/1/17
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:LPidneNGdoU54LLEnZ2dnUU7-
K_N...@giganews.com:

> * Game 4, Round 2 - Canadiana Sports - Early Toronto Blue Jays
>
> In honor of the Toronto Blue Jays' 40th anniversary this year,
> here's some trivia about the team in its early years -- you know,
> before St. Bautista arrived.
>
> As usual, where a team is asked for, the city name is sufficient
> only if it is the only major-league team in that city.
>
> 1. Which team did the Blue Jays face at home in their first Major
> League Baseball game on 1977-04-07?

Detroit Tigers; Cleveland Indians

> 5. In what year did the Blue Jays' new retractable-roofed home,
> SkyDome, open in the mid-season?

1991; 1992

> * Game 4, Round 3 - History - Contraception
>
> 3. Name the biblical character in Genesis who practised the
> withdrawal method and was slain by God as a result.

Onan

> 6. A British cleric and scholar who wrote "An Essay on the Principle
> of Population" became the inspiration for a group, established
> in 1877, which promoted contraception and was closely tied to
> the feminist movement. Name this scholar.

Malthus

> 7. Name the American feminist who was jailed for distributing
> contraceptives in 1916 and who popularized the phrase "birth
> control".

Sanger

> 8. Enovid was the first birth-control pill approved for sale in the
> United States, but it was only approved for menstrual disorders.
> In fact, the company never marketed it as a contraceptive,
> but by the time it was approved for that use, almost 500,000
> women had already used it. Within one year either way, when
> was it initially approved?

1957; 1960

> 10. Ernst Gräfenberg invented the first "ring contraceptive", made
> of silver filaments. His work was suppressed during the Nazi
> regime on the grounds that it was a threat to Aryan women.
> But what *other* controversial discovery was named after
> Dr. Gräfenberg in 1981?

G spot

--
Joshua Kreitzer
grom...@hotmail.com

Pete Gayde

Jun 1, 2017, 2:35:54 AM6/1/17
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:LPidneNGdoU54LLEnZ2dnUU7-
K_N...@giganews.com:

> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2017-02-06,

> Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
> the correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of 5 Easy Pieces and are
> used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have
> been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information see
> my 2016-11-26 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>

> * Game 4, Round 2 - Canadiana Sports - Early Toronto Blue Jays
>
> In honor of the Toronto Blue Jays' 40th anniversary this year,
> here's some trivia about the team in its early years -- you know,
> before St. Bautista arrived.
>
> As usual, where a team is asked for, the city name is sufficient
> only if it is the only major-league team in that city.
>
> 1. Which team did the Blue Jays face at home in their first Major
> League Baseball game on 1977-04-07?

Cleveland; Boston

> 2. During that first game, which American first baseman and
> designated hitter, picked up by the Jays in the 1976 expansion
> draft, hit the first two home runs in Jays franchise history,
> helping Toronto to a 9-5 win?

Rusty Staub

> 3. Despite the team's last-place finish in 1979, which Blue Jays
> shortstop was named the co-winner of the American League Rookie
> of the Year award?
>
> 4. In 1980 this first baseman became the first Jay to hit 30 home
> runs in a season. After his retirement in 1982, he spent 5 years
> as a coach in the Blue Jays' farm system and 2 years as a coach
> for another former team, the Kansas City Royals. Who is he?
>
> 5. In what year did the Blue Jays' new retractable-roofed home,
> SkyDome, open in the mid-season?

1991; 1992

> 6. Who is the only Blue Jay pitcher to throw a no-hitter,
> accomplishing the feat in 1990 against the Cleveland Indians?
>
> 7. After the 1991 season ended, the Blue Jays acquired which
> pitcher, who had led the Minnesota Twins to victory in the World
> Series that year by pitching a complete 10-inning shutout in
> Game 7 and had been named the World Series MVP?

Jack Morris

> 8. In 1993 three Blue Jays finished 1-2-3 in the American League
> batting average race -- the first time three teammates had
> done so in 100 years. They were Robbie Alomar, Paul Molitor,
> and who else?

Carter

> 9. Game 4 of the 1993 World Series remains the highest-scoring
> game in the history of the Series. The home team was up 14-9
> in the top of the 8th inning when the Blue Jays rallied to
> score 6 runs on hits from Paul Molitor, Tony Fernández, Rickey
> Henderson, and Devon White, and take game 15-14. Who were
> their opponents?

Pittsburgh; Philadelphia

> 10. Before the 1995 season, which long-time Blue Jays general
> manager resigned and handed the reins of the team to Toronto
> native Gord Ash?
>

> * Game 4, Round 3 - History - Contraception
>
> 1. Condoms have been around since at least the 16th century but
> were used primarily to prevent disease, not pregnancy.
> Aside from animal intestines, name any one of the materials
> primarily used in Europe or Asia before 1844.
>
> 2. Pessaries were a common ancient form of birth control.
> Typical ingredients included honey, acacia gum, and plant matter.
> What *is* a pessary, in this context?

Spermicide

> 3. Name the biblical character in Genesis who practised the
> withdrawal method and was slain by God as a result.
>
> 4. Many plants used in ancient Greece have been found to have
> contraceptive properties. What royally named common weed is
> still used for birth control in India today?
>
> 5. The invention of vulcanized rubber in 1844 paved the way for
> reliable condoms. It also resulted in what other birth-control
> device, in the 1880s?
>
> 6. A British cleric and scholar who wrote "An Essay on the Principle
> of Population" became the inspiration for a group, established
> in 1877, which promoted contraception and was closely tied to
> the feminist movement. Name this scholar.
>
> 7. Name the American feminist who was jailed for distributing
> contraceptives in 1916 and who popularized the phrase "birth
> control".

Sanger

> 8. Enovid was the first birth-control pill approved for sale in the
> United States, but it was only approved for menstrual disorders.
> In fact, the company never marketed it as a contraceptive,
> but by the time it was approved for that use, almost 500,000
> women had already used it. Within one year either way, when
> was it initially approved?

1961; 1964

> 9. The first IUD was developed in 1909 and was made from silkworm
> gut. The first modern T-shaped IUD was developed in the 1960s,
> and with some minor changes, is still in use today. What is
> the main spermicidal material used in this IUD?
>
> 10. Ernst Gräfenberg invented the first "ring contraceptive", made
> of silver filaments. His work was suppressed during the Nazi
> regime on the grounds that it was a threat to Aryan women.
> But what *other* controversial discovery was named after
> Dr. Gräfenberg in 1981?

G spot

Pete Gayde

Dan Tilque

Jun 1, 2017, 5:54:05 AM6/1/17
Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 4, Round 2 - Canadiana Sports - Early Toronto Blue Jays
>
> In honor of the Toronto Blue Jays' 40th anniversary this year,
> here's some trivia about the team in its early years -- you know,
> before St. Bautista arrived.
>
> As usual, where a team is asked for, the city name is sufficient
> only if it is the only major-league team in that city.
>
> 1. Which team did the Blue Jays face at home in their first Major
> League Baseball game on 1977-04-07?

Red Sox

> 2. During that first game, which American first baseman and
> designated hitter, picked up by the Jays in the 1976 expansion
> draft, hit the first two home runs in Jays franchise history,
> helping Toronto to a 9-5 win?
>
> 3. Despite the team's last-place finish in 1979, which Blue Jays
> shortstop was named the co-winner of the American League Rookie
> of the Year award?
>
> 4. In 1980 this first baseman became the first Jay to hit 30 home
> runs in a season. After his retirement in 1982, he spent 5 years
> as a coach in the Blue Jays' farm system and 2 years as a coach
> for another former team, the Kansas City Royals. Who is he?
>
> 5. In what year did the Blue Jays' new retractable-roofed home,
> SkyDome, open in the mid-season?

2015

> 6. Who is the only Blue Jay pitcher to throw a no-hitter,
> accomplishing the feat in 1990 against the Cleveland Indians?
>
> 7. After the 1991 season ended, the Blue Jays acquired which
> pitcher, who had led the Minnesota Twins to victory in the World
> Series that year by pitching a complete 10-inning shutout in
> Game 7 and had been named the World Series MVP?
>
> 8. In 1993 three Blue Jays finished 1-2-3 in the American League
> batting average race -- the first time three teammates had
> done so in 100 years. They were Robbie Alomar, Paul Molitor,
> and who else?

Olerud

> 9. Game 4 of the 1993 World Series remains the highest-scoring
> game in the history of the Series. The home team was up 14-9
> in the top of the 8th inning when the Blue Jays rallied to
> score 6 runs on hits from Paul Molitor, Tony Fernández, Rickey
> Henderson, and Devon White, and take game 15-14. Who were
> their opponents?
>
> 10. Before the 1995 season, which long-time Blue Jays general
> manager resigned and handed the reins of the team to Toronto
> native Gord Ash?
>

> * Game 4, Round 3 - History - Contraception
>
> 1. Condoms have been around since at least the 16th century but
> were used primarily to prevent disease, not pregnancy.
> Aside from animal intestines, name any one of the materials
> primarily used in Europe or Asia before 1844.

sheep skin

> 2. Pessaries were a common ancient form of birth control.
> Typical ingredients included honey, acacia gum, and plant matter.
> What *is* a pessary, in this context?
>
> 3. Name the biblical character in Genesis who practised the
> withdrawal method and was slain by God as a result.

Onan

> 4. Many plants used in ancient Greece have been found to have
> contraceptive properties. What royally named common weed is
> still used for birth control in India today?
>
> 5. The invention of vulcanized rubber in 1844 paved the way for
> reliable condoms. It also resulted in what other birth-control
> device, in the 1880s?
>
> 6. A British cleric and scholar who wrote "An Essay on the Principle
> of Population" became the inspiration for a group, established
> in 1877, which promoted contraception and was closely tied to
> the feminist movement. Name this scholar.

Malthus

> 7. Name the American feminist who was jailed for distributing
> contraceptives in 1916 and who popularized the phrase "birth
> control".
>
> 8. Enovid was the first birth-control pill approved for sale in the
> United States, but it was only approved for menstrual disorders.
> In fact, the company never marketed it as a contraceptive,
> but by the time it was approved for that use, almost 500,000
> women had already used it. Within one year either way, when
> was it initially approved?

1960

> 9. The first IUD was developed in 1909 and was made from silkworm
> gut. The first modern T-shaped IUD was developed in the 1960s,
> and with some minor changes, is still in use today. What is
> the main spermicidal material used in this IUD?
>
> 10. Ernst Gräfenberg invented the first "ring contraceptive", made
> of silver filaments. His work was suppressed during the Nazi
> regime on the grounds that it was a threat to Aryan women.
> But what *other* controversial discovery was named after
> Dr. Gräfenberg in 1981?

G-spot

--
Dan Tilque

Peter Smyth

Jun 1, 2017, 7:46:29 AM6/1/17
Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 4, Round 3 - History - Contraception
>
> 1. Condoms have been around since at least the 16th century but
> were used primarily to prevent disease, not pregnancy.
> Aside from animal intestines, name any one of the materials
> primarily used in Europe or Asia before 1844.
Leather
> 2. Pessaries were a common ancient form of birth control.
> Typical ingredients included honey, acacia gum, and plant matter.
> What is a pessary, in this context?
>
> 3. Name the biblical character in Genesis who practised the
> withdrawal method and was slain by God as a result.
Lot
> 4. Many plants used in ancient Greece have been found to have
> contraceptive properties. What royally named common weed is
> still used for birth control in India today?
Pennyroyal
> 5. The invention of vulcanized rubber in 1844 paved the way for
> reliable condoms. It also resulted in what other birth-control
> device, in the 1880s?
Cap
> 6. A British cleric and scholar who wrote "An Essay on the Principle
> of Population" became the inspiration for a group, established
> in 1877, which promoted contraception and was closely tied to
> the feminist movement. Name this scholar.
>
> 7. Name the American feminist who was jailed for distributing
> contraceptives in 1916 and who popularized the phrase "birth
> control".
>
> 8. Enovid was the first birth-control pill approved for sale in the
> United States, but it was only approved for menstrual disorders.
> In fact, the company never marketed it as a contraceptive,
> but by the time it was approved for that use, almost 500,000
> women had already used it. Within one year either way, when
> was it initially approved?
>
> 9. The first IUD was developed in 1909 and was made from silkworm
> gut. The first modern T-shaped IUD was developed in the 1960s,
> and with some minor changes, is still in use today. What is
> the main spermicidal material used in this IUD?
>
> 10. Ernst Gräfenberg invented the first "ring contraceptive", made
> of silver filaments. His work was suppressed during the Nazi
> regime on the grounds that it was a threat to Aryan women.
> But what other controversial discovery was named after
> Dr. Gräfenberg in 1981?

Peter Smyth

Dan Blum

Jun 1, 2017, 9:43:06 AM6/1/17
Mark Brader <m...@vex.net> wrote:

> * Game 4, Round 2 - Canadiana Sports - Early Toronto Blue Jays

> 5. In what year did the Blue Jays' new retractable-roofed home,
> SkyDome, open in the mid-season?

1997; 2007

> * Game 4, Round 3 - History - Contraception

> 2. Pessaries were a common ancient form of birth control.
> Typical ingredients included honey, acacia gum, and plant matter.
> What *is* a pessary, in this context?

a diaphragm, more or less (vaginal plug)

> 3. Name the biblical character in Genesis who practised the
> withdrawal method and was slain by God as a result.

Onan

> 4. Many plants used in ancient Greece have been found to have
> contraceptive properties. What royally named common weed is
> still used for birth control in India today?

Queen Anne's Lace

> 5. The invention of vulcanized rubber in 1844 paved the way for
> reliable condoms. It also resulted in what other birth-control
> device, in the 1880s?

diaphragm

> 6. A British cleric and scholar who wrote "An Essay on the Principle
> of Population" became the inspiration for a group, established
> in 1877, which promoted contraception and was closely tied to
> the feminist movement. Name this scholar.

Malthus

> 7. Name the American feminist who was jailed for distributing
> contraceptives in 1916 and who popularized the phrase "birth
> control".

Margaret Sanger

> 8. Enovid was the first birth-control pill approved for sale in the
> United States, but it was only approved for menstrual disorders.
> In fact, the company never marketed it as a contraceptive,
> but by the time it was approved for that use, almost 500,000
> women had already used it. Within one year either way, when
> was it initially approved?

1962; 1966

> 9. The first IUD was developed in 1909 and was made from silkworm
> gut. The first modern T-shaped IUD was developed in the 1960s,
> and with some minor changes, is still in use today. What is
> the main spermicidal material used in this IUD?

copper

> 10. Ernst Gr?fenberg invented the first "ring contraceptive", made
> of silver filaments. His work was suppressed during the Nazi
> regime on the grounds that it was a threat to Aryan women.
> But what *other* controversial discovery was named after
> Dr. Gr?fenberg in 1981?

G-spot

Dan Blum to...@panix.com

Marc Dashevsky

Jun 1, 2017, 11:13:58 AM6/1/17
In article <LPidneNGdoU54LLE...@giganews.com>, m...@vex.net says...
> * Game 4, Round 2 - Canadiana Sports - Early Toronto Blue Jays
>
> In honor of the Toronto Blue Jays' 40th anniversary this year,
> here's some trivia about the team in its early years -- you know,
> before St. Bautista arrived.
>
> As usual, where a team is asked for, the city name is sufficient
> only if it is the only major-league team in that city.
>
> 1. Which team did the Blue Jays face at home in their first Major
> League Baseball game on 1977-04-07?
New York Yankees
Onan

> 4. Many plants used in ancient Greece have been found to have
> contraceptive properties. What royally named common weed is
> still used for birth control in India today?
>
> 5. The invention of vulcanized rubber in 1844 paved the way for
> reliable condoms. It also resulted in what other birth-control
> device, in the 1880s?
diaphragm

> 6. A British cleric and scholar who wrote "An Essay on the Principle
> of Population" became the inspiration for a group, established
> in 1877, which promoted contraception and was closely tied to
> the feminist movement. Name this scholar.
Malthus

> 7. Name the American feminist who was jailed for distributing
> contraceptives in 1916 and who popularized the phrase "birth
> control".
Sanger

> 8. Enovid was the first birth-control pill approved for sale in the
> United States, but it was only approved for menstrual disorders.
> In fact, the company never marketed it as a contraceptive,
> but by the time it was approved for that use, almost 500,000
> women had already used it. Within one year either way, when
> was it initially approved?
1964

> 9. The first IUD was developed in 1909 and was made from silkworm
> gut. The first modern T-shaped IUD was developed in the 1960s,
> and with some minor changes, is still in use today. What is
> the main spermicidal material used in this IUD?
copper

> 10. Ernst Gräfenberg invented the first "ring contraceptive", made
> of silver filaments. His work was suppressed during the Nazi
> regime on the grounds that it was a threat to Aryan women.
> But what *other* controversial discovery was named after
> Dr. Gräfenberg in 1981?
G spot

Gareth Owen

Jun 1, 2017, 1:55:34 PM6/1/17
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) writes:

> 1. Which team did the Blue Jays face at home in their first Major
> League Baseball game on 1977-04-07?

Yankees, Red Sox

> 2. During that first game, which American first baseman and
> designated hitter, picked up by the Jays in the 1976 expansion
> draft, hit the first two home runs in Jays franchise history,
> helping Toronto to a 9-5 win?

Joe Carter, Gary Carter

> 3. Despite the team's last-place finish in 1979, which Blue Jays
> shortstop was named the co-winner of the American League Rookie
> of the Year award?

> 4. In 1980 this first baseman became the first Jay to hit 30 home
> runs in a season. After his retirement in 1982, he spent 5 years
> as a coach in the Blue Jays' farm system and 2 years as a coach
> for another former team, the Kansas City Royals. Who is he?

Gary Carter, Joe Carter

> 5. In what year did the Blue Jays' new retractable-roofed home,
> SkyDome, open in the mid-season?

1987

> 6. Who is the only Blue Jay pitcher to throw a no-hitter,
> accomplishing the feat in 1990 against the Cleveland Indians?

> 7. After the 1991 season ended, the Blue Jays acquired which
> pitcher, who had led the Minnesota Twins to victory in the World
> Series that year by pitching a complete 10-inning shutout in
> Game 7 and had been named the World Series MVP?

Frank Viola

> 8. In 1993 three Blue Jays finished 1-2-3 in the American League
> batting average race -- the first time three teammates had
> done so in 100 years. They were Robbie Alomar, Paul Molitor,
> and who else?

Gary Carter, Joe Carter

> 9. Game 4 of the 1993 World Series remains the highest-scoring
> game in the history of the Series. The home team was up 14-9
> in the top of the 8th inning when the Blue Jays rallied to
> score 6 runs on hits from Paul Molitor, Tony Fernández, Rickey
> Henderson, and Devon White, and take game 15-14. Who were
> their opponents?

Reds, Cardinals

(Christ, was there anyone Rickey Henderson didn't play for?)

> 10. Before the 1995 season, which long-time Blue Jays general
> manager resigned and handed the reins of the team to Toronto
> native Gord Ash?
>

> * Game 4, Round 3 - History - Contraception
>
> 1. Condoms have been around since at least the 16th century but
> were used primarily to prevent disease, not pregnancy.
> Aside from animal intestines, name any one of the materials
> primarily used in Europe or Asia before 1844.

India Rubber, Silk

> 2. Pessaries were a common ancient form of birth control.
> Typical ingredients included honey, acacia gum, and plant matter.
> What *is* a pessary, in this context?

A medicinal paste

> 3. Name the biblical character in Genesis who practised the
> withdrawal method and was slain by God as a result.

Onan

> 5. The invention of vulcanized rubber in 1844 paved the way for
> reliable condoms. It also resulted in what other birth-control
> device, in the 1880s?

Wellington boots

> 6. A British cleric and scholar who wrote "An Essay on the Principle
> of Population" became the inspiration for a group, established
> in 1877, which promoted contraception and was closely tied to
> the feminist movement. Name this scholar.

Malthus

> 7. Name the American feminist who was jailed for distributing
> contraceptives in 1916 and who popularized the phrase "birth
> control".

Stopes

> 8. Enovid was the first birth-control pill approved for sale in the
> United States, but it was only approved for menstrual disorders.
> In fact, the company never marketed it as a contraceptive,
> but by the time it was approved for that use, almost 500,000
> women had already used it. Within one year either way, when
> was it initially approved?

1963

> 9. The first IUD was developed in 1909 and was made from silkworm
> gut. The first modern T-shaped IUD was developed in the 1960s,
> and with some minor changes, is still in use today. What is
> the main spermicidal material used in this IUD?

The tears of Republicans

> 10. Ernst Gräfenberg invented the first "ring contraceptive", made
> of silver filaments. His work was suppressed during the Nazi
> regime on the grounds that it was a threat to Aryan women.
> But what *other* controversial discovery was named after
> Dr. Gräfenberg in 1981?

G spot!

Erland Sommarskog

Jun 1, 2017, 2:27:51 PM6/1/17
Mark Brader (m...@vex.net) writes:
> * Game 4, Round 2 - Canadiana Sports - Early Toronto Blue Jays

Next please!

> * Game 4, Round 3 - History - Contraception
>
> 1. Condoms have been around since at least the 16th century but
> were used primarily to prevent disease, not pregnancy.
> Aside from animal intestines, name any one of the materials
> primarily used in Europe or Asia before 1844.

paper

> 3. Name the biblical character in Genesis who practised the
> withdrawal method and was slain by God as a result.

Onan

> 8. Enovid was the first birth-control pill approved for sale in the
> United States, but it was only approved for menstrual disorders.
> In fact, the company never marketed it as a contraceptive,
> but by the time it was approved for that use, almost 500,000
> women had already used it. Within one year either way, when
> was it initially approved?

1957

Jason Kreitzer

Jun 2, 2017, 11:33:30 AM6/2/17
Margaret Sanger

Mark Brader

Jun 3, 2017, 11:12:45 PM6/3/17
Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2017-02-06,
> see my 2016-11-26 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

> * Game 4, Round 2 - Canadiana Sports - Early Toronto Blue Jays

> In honor of the Toronto Blue Jays' 40th anniversary this year,
> here's some trivia about the team in its early years -- you know,
> before St. Bautista arrived.

> As usual, where a team is asked for, the city name is sufficient
> only if it is the only major-league team in that city.

> 1. Which team did the Blue Jays face at home in their first Major
> League Baseball game on 1977-04-07?

Chicago White Sox.

> 2. During that first game, which American first baseman and
> designated hitter, picked up by the Jays in the 1976 expansion
> draft, hit the first two home runs in Jays franchise history,
> helping Toronto to a 9-5 win?

Doug Ault.

> 3. Despite the team's last-place finish in 1979, which Blue Jays
> shortstop was named the co-winner of the American League Rookie
> of the Year award?

Alfredo Griffin.

> 4. In 1980 this first baseman became the first Jay to hit 30 home
> runs in a season. After his retirement in 1982, he spent 5 years
> as a coach in the Blue Jays' farm system and 2 years as a coach
> for another former team, the Kansas City Royals. Who is he?

John Mayberry.

> 5. In what year did the Blue Jays' new retractable-roofed home,
> SkyDome, open in the mid-season?

1989.

> 6. Who is the only Blue Jay pitcher to throw a no-hitter,
> accomplishing the feat in 1990 against the Cleveland Indians?

Dave Stieb.

> 7. After the 1991 season ended, the Blue Jays acquired which
> pitcher, who had led the Minnesota Twins to victory in the World
> Series that year by pitching a complete 10-inning shutout in
> Game 7 and had been named the World Series MVP?

Jack Morris. 4 for Pete.

> 8. In 1993 three Blue Jays finished 1-2-3 in the American League
> batting average race -- the first time three teammates had
> done so in 100 years. They were Robbie Alomar, Paul Molitor,
> and who else?

John Olerud. (They batted .363, .332, and .326 respectively.)
4 for Dan Tilque.

> 9. Game 4 of the 1993 World Series remains the highest-scoring
> game in the history of the Series. The home team was up 14-9
> in the top of the 8th inning when the Blue Jays rallied to
> score 6 runs on hits from Paul Molitor, Tony Fernández, Rickey
> Henderson, and Devon White, and take game 15-14. Who were
> their opponents?

Philadelphia Phillies. 2 for Pete.

> 10. Before the 1995 season, which long-time Blue Jays general
> manager resigned and handed the reins of the team to Toronto
> native Gord Ash?

Pat Gillick.

> * Game 4, Round 3 - History - Contraception

In the original game the audio round was the easiest, the
current-events round next easiest, and this one came third.

> 1. Condoms have been around since at least the 16th century but
> were used primarily to prevent disease, not pregnancy.
> Aside from animal intestines, name any one of the materials
> primarily used in Europe or Asia before 1844.

Linen, leather, silk paper (I generously scored either word as
almost correct), tortoiseshell, animal horns (!), or animal bladders.
4 for Peter. 3 for Erland. 1 for Gareth.

> 2. Pessaries were a common ancient form of birth control.
> Typical ingredients included honey, acacia gum, and plant matter.
> What *is* a pessary, in this context?

Vaginal suppository.

> 3. Name the biblical character in Genesis who practised the
> withdrawal method and was slain by God as a result.

Onan. 4 for Joshua, Dan Tilque, Dan Blum, Marc, Gareth, and Erland.

> 4. Many plants used in ancient Greece have been found to have
> contraceptive properties. What royally named common weed is
> still used for birth control in India today?

Queen Anne's lace. 4 for Dan Blum.

> 5. The invention of vulcanized rubber in 1844 paved the way for
> reliable condoms. It also resulted in what other birth-control
> device, in the 1880s?

Diaphragm. I also accepted the cervical cap. 4 for Peter, Dan Blum,
and Marc.

> 6. A British cleric and scholar who wrote "An Essay on the Principle
> of Population" became the inspiration for a group, established
> in 1877, which promoted contraception and was closely tied to
> the feminist movement. Name this scholar.

Thomas Robert Malthus. 4 for Joshua, Dan Tilque, Dan Blum, Marc,
and Gareth.

> 7. Name the American feminist who was jailed for distributing
> contraceptives in 1916 and who popularized the phrase "birth
> control".

Margaret Sanger. 4 for Joshua, Pete, Dan Blum, Marc, and Jason.

> 8. Enovid was the first birth-control pill approved for sale in the
> United States, but it was only approved for menstrual disorders.
> In fact, the company never marketed it as a contraceptive,
> but by the time it was approved for that use, almost 500,000
> women had already used it. Within one year either way, when
> was it initially approved?

1957 (accepting 1956-58). 4 for Erland. 3 for Joshua.

> 9. The first IUD was developed in 1909 and was made from silkworm
> gut. The first modern T-shaped IUD was developed in the 1960s,
> and with some minor changes, is still in use today. What is
> the main spermicidal material used in this IUD?

Copper. 4 for Dan Blum and Marc.

> 10. Ernst Gräfenberg invented the first "ring contraceptive", made
> of silver filaments. His work was suppressed during the Nazi
> regime on the grounds that it was a threat to Aryan women.
> But what *other* controversial discovery was named after
> Dr. Gräfenberg in 1981?

The G-spot. 4 for Joshua, Pete, Dan Tilque, Dan Blum, Marc,
and Gareth.

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAME 4 ROUNDS-> 2 3 TOTALS
TOPICS-> Can His
Dan Blum 0 28 28
Marc Dashevsky 0 24 24
Joshua Kreitzer 0 19 19
Dan Tilque 4 12 16
Pete Gayde 6 8 14
Gareth Owen 0 13 13
Erland Sommarskog 0 11 11
Peter Smyth 0 8 8
Jason Kreitzer 0 4 4

--
Mark Brader | "[He] is my nation's leader ... i.e., the piece of
Toronto | clear tape at the beginning of a cassette that you