Rotating Quiz #310: Claimant?

Mark Brader

Oct 21, 2018, 2:15:55 AM10/21/18
This is RQ 310. I'd like to thank Dan Tilque for running RQ 309
and writing a contest that allowed me to win, and to complain
about Stephen Perry not entering and winning. As usual, the
winner of this contest will be the first choice to run RQ 311.

You can have until Friday, September 26, by Toronto time (zone -4)
to enter this one -- that gives you about 5 days 22 hours from the
time of posting.

This one is a Quiz Quilt in the manner of Robert Jen, but not
exactly.

I'll repeat, with minor changes, the explanation of what that
means that I used in RQ 297. For each of questions #1-9, write
down the thing being described or referred to. All answers are
in English. (In this contest, in fact, all of them are movie or
TV series titles.)

If you write down the correct answers to these 9 questions in order
along successive rows of a grid, you will find the "quilt" answer
reading *either upward or downward* in one of these positions:
(1) vertically along a column, or (2) diagonally to/from one of
the left-hand corners, or (3) zigzaggily along the last letters
of the answers.

For example, if there were only 3 questions and the answers were

T W O H Y
A H
M O E S

then the quilt answer might be any of (1) TAM, MAT, WHO, or OHW,
reading vertically; (2) THE, EHT, MHO, or OHM, reading diagonally;
or (3) SHY, or YHS, reading the last letters. But, as they are not
(as far as I know) words or names, you could immediately eliminate
OHW, EHT, and YHS.

In fact the quilt answer is a *single word or name in English*.
The quiz title is a clue pointing to it.

For this contest, all the questions are in the field of entertainment.
I give a brief description of a movie or TV series, and you supply
the title. Most of the descriptions were either taken directly
from the IMDB or else edited from wording given there.

In alphabetical order by their names, leading cast members of
these movies and shows include Christine Baranski, Kristen Bell,
George Clooney, Matt Damon, Tony Danza, Freddie Highmore, Julianna
Margulies, Raymond Ochoa, and Reese Witherspoon.

I will give 1 point each for answers #1-9 and 2 points for the quilt,
so scores are out of 11. In case of a tie, the first tiebreaker
is who got the quilt answer; the second tiebreaker is who scored on
the hardest questions; and the third tiebreaker is who posted first.

Naturally, you are to answer all questions from your own knowledge
only. Please post a single message with your answers, quoting the
questions you are answering and placing your answer below each one.

1. A disgraced former NYPD officer lives with his son, an earnest,
obsessively honest NYPD detective. (TV series.)

2. An apatosaurus named Arlo makes an unlikely human friend.
(2015 movie.)

3. She must now provide for her family and returns to work as a
litigator in a law firm. (CBS TV series, 2009-16.)

4. Followup TV series to <answer 4>, with some of the same
characters.

5. A dead woman struggles to define what it means to be good.
(TV series.)

6. While in post-war Berlin to cover the Potsdam Conference, an
American military journalist is drawn into a murder
investigation. (2006 movie.)

7. The tumultuous early history of the Central Intelligence Agency
is viewed through the prism of one man's life. (Also a 2006
movie.)

8. A group of refugees given the chance to resettle in the US meet
an employment agency counselor in Kansas City, and all of their
lives are changed. (2014 movie.)

9. A young surgeon with autism and savant syndrome is recruited
by a prestigious hospital. (TV series.)

10. Quilt?

--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "...good to see you back in the 'From' column."
m...@vex.net | --Maria Conlon

Mark Brader

Oct 21, 2018, 3:03:23 AM10/21/18
[Resposting with corrected deadline]

This is RQ 310. I'd like to thank Dan Tilque for running RQ 309
and writing a contest that allowed me to win, and to complain
about Stephen Perry not entering and winning. As usual, the
winner of this contest will be the first choice to run RQ 311.

You can have until Friday, October 26, by Toronto time (zone -4)

Dan Blum

Oct 21, 2018, 10:44:51 AM10/21/18
Mark Brader <m...@vex.net> wrote:

> 4. Followup TV series to <answer 4>, with some of the same
> characters.

There seems to be a mistake here.

Dan Blum to...@panix.com

Mark Brader

Oct 21, 2018, 3:10:30 PM10/21/18
Dan Blum:
> There seems to be a mistake here.

Er, thanks.
--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "Damn! Damn! Damn! Er, I mean thanks, Mark."
m...@vex.net | --Steve Ball

swp

Oct 21, 2018, 5:29:04 PM10/21/18
On Sunday, October 21, 2018 at 2:15:55 AM UTC-4, Mark Brader wrote:

> In alphabetical order by their names, leading cast members of
> these movies and shows include Christine Baranski, Kristen Bell,
> George Clooney, Matt Damon, Tony Danza, Freddie Highmore, Julianna
> Margulies, Raymond Ochoa, and Reese Witherspoon.

noted

> 1. A disgraced former NYPD officer lives with his son, an earnest,
> obsessively honest NYPD detective. (TV series.)

the good cop

> 2. An apatosaurus named Arlo makes an unlikely human friend.
> (2015 movie.)

the good dinosaur

> 3. She must now provide for her family and returns to work as a
> litigator in a law firm. (CBS TV series, 2009-16.)

the good wife

> 4. Followup TV series to <answer 4>, with some of the same
> characters.

the good fight

> 5. A dead woman struggles to define what it means to be good.
> (TV series.)

the good place

> 6. While in post-war Berlin to cover the Potsdam Conference, an
> American military journalist is drawn into a murder
> investigation. (2006 movie.)

the good german

> 7. The tumultuous early history of the Central Intelligence Agency
> is viewed through the prism of one man's life. (Also a 2006
> movie.)

the good shepard

> 8. A group of refugees given the chance to resettle in the US meet
> an employment agency counselor in Kansas City, and all of their
> lives are changed. (2014 movie.)

the good lie

> 9. A young surgeon with autism and savant syndrome is recruited
> by a prestigious hospital. (TV series.)

the good doctor

> 10. Quilt?

pretender