RQ #245

Don Piven

Feb 12, 2017, 6:21:42 AM2/12/17
This is rotating quiz #245. Today is February 12nd, 2017.

Please answer based only on your own knowledge; put all of your
answers in a single posting, quoting the question before each one.

Answers must be posted before 11:59pm CDT (Chicago, IL) on Sunday,
February 19, 2017.

In case of a tie, the first tiebreaker will be who scored on the
hardest questions; and the second tiebreaker will be who posted first.
Correct answers are worth 1 point each.

The winner will be the first choice to set RQ 246, in a manner of
their choosing.

Don Piven

. . . . .

1) In 1989, Metallica was widely expected to win the Grammy Award for
Best Hard Rock/Metal Performance (the first such award in that
category). Which decidedly non-metal rock group actually won the 1989
Grammy in that category?

2) The National Freshwater Fishing Hall of Fame in Hayward, Wisconsin is
the home of the world's largest fiberglass fish, checking in at 143 feet
(44m). What species of fish is it an outsized model of?

3) The Cleveland Indians now hold the dubious record of the longest time
since their last Major League Baseball World Series championship (68
years). Ignoring teams which have never won a Series, which MLB team is
second in terms of years since their last World Series championship?

4) In Monty Python's Flying Circus, Spiny Norman was what kind of animal?

5) On August 21, 1961, William Magruder broke Mach 1.0 with what kind of
commercial aircraft? (Answer with manufacturer and model name; e.g.,
"Boeing 747" except that's not the answer.)

6) In the original "Get Smart" television series, Maxwell Smart drove
three makes of automobile during the series' five-year run. Name any of
those cars.

7) You have just won an event sanctioned by Worldloppet. What sport do
you compete in?

8) The Emmy Awards recognize excellence in the television industry. From
which electronic device did the name "Emmy" originate?

9) Austria's Christoph Strasser holds the current record for riding a
bicycle 3,020 miles between Oceanside, California and Annapolis,
Maryland in the annual Race Across America. Within six hours, what was
Strasser's time?

10) Travel writer William Least Heat-Moon wrote about crossing the
United States on a vehicle named "Nikawa". What kind of vehicle was it?

11) Amtrak's Auto Train service is the only passenger rail service in
the US that allows passengers to bring their cars with them. Between
which two states does the Auto Train operate?

12) What was the name of the noxious fluid prepared at the original
"Skonk Works"?

13) Bob Dylan, Roy Orbison and George Harrison, along with two other
famous rock musicians, were members of the "Traveling Wilburys", who
recorded two top-selling albums between 1988 and 1990. Name one of the
other two members of the Wilburys.

14) Patrick Marleau of the NHL's San Jose Sharks recently performed a
very uncommon feat; the last time it was done in an NHL game was almost
exactly twenty years prior to Marleau, that time by Mario Lemieux. What
did these two players do?

15) Haggis, by tradition, is cooked in what unconventional container?

Dan Blum

Feb 12, 2017, 10:21:00 AM2/12/17
Don Piven <d...@piven.net> wrote:

> 2) The National Freshwater Fishing Hall of Fame in Hayward, Wisconsin is
> the home of the world's largest fiberglass fish, checking in at 143 feet
> (44m). What species of fish is it an outsized model of?

striped bass

> 3) The Cleveland Indians now hold the dubious record of the longest time
> since their last Major League Baseball World Series championship (68
> years). Ignoring teams which have never won a Series, which MLB team is
> second in terms of years since their last World Series championship?

New York Mets

> 4) In Monty Python's Flying Circus, Spiny Norman was what kind of animal?

hedgehog

> 7) You have just won an event sanctioned by Worldloppet. What sport do
> you compete in?

lumberjacking

> 9) Austria's Christoph Strasser holds the current record for riding a
> bicycle 3,020 miles between Oceanside, California and Annapolis,
> Maryland in the annual Race Across America. Within six hours, what was
> Strasser's time?

300 hours

> 10) Travel writer William Least Heat-Moon wrote about crossing the
> United States on a vehicle named "Nikawa". What kind of vehicle was it?

motorcycle

> 11) Amtrak's Auto Train service is the only passenger rail service in
> the US that allows passengers to bring their cars with them. Between
> which two states does the Auto Train operate?

Virginia and Florida

> 15) Haggis, by tradition, is cooked in what unconventional container?

sheep stomach

Dan Blum to...@panix.com

Marc Dashevsky

Feb 12, 2017, 11:44:48 AM2/12/17
In article <o7pgcp$li7$1...@dont-email.me>, d...@piven.net says...
> 1) In 1989, Metallica was widely expected to win the Grammy Award for
> Best Hard Rock/Metal Performance (the first such award in that
> category). Which decidedly non-metal rock group actually won the 1989
> Grammy in that category?
>
> 2) The National Freshwater Fishing Hall of Fame in Hayward, Wisconsin is
> the home of the world's largest fiberglass fish, checking in at 143 feet
> (44m). What species of fish is it an outsized model of?
large-mouth bass

> 3) The Cleveland Indians now hold the dubious record of the longest time
> since their last Major League Baseball World Series championship (68
> years). Ignoring teams which have never won a Series, which MLB team is
> second in terms of years since their last World Series championship?
>
> 4) In Monty Python's Flying Circus, Spiny Norman was what kind of animal?
hedgehog

> 5) On August 21, 1961, William Magruder broke Mach 1.0 with what kind of
> commercial aircraft? (Answer with manufacturer and model name; e.g.,
> "Boeing 747" except that's not the answer.)
Douglas DC8

> 6) In the original "Get Smart" television series, Maxwell Smart drove
> three makes of automobile during the series' five-year run. Name any of
> those cars.
>
> 7) You have just won an event sanctioned by Worldloppet. What sport do
> you compete in?
>
> 8) The Emmy Awards recognize excellence in the television industry. From
> which electronic device did the name "Emmy" originate?
M.E.

> 9) Austria's Christoph Strasser holds the current record for riding a
> bicycle 3,020 miles between Oceanside, California and Annapolis,
> Maryland in the annual Race Across America. Within six hours, what was
> Strasser's time?
>
> 10) Travel writer William Least Heat-Moon wrote about crossing the
> United States on a vehicle named "Nikawa". What kind of vehicle was it?
>
> 11) Amtrak's Auto Train service is the only passenger rail service in
> the US that allows passengers to bring their cars with them. Between
> which two states does the Auto Train operate?
Virginia and Florida

> 12) What was the name of the noxious fluid prepared at the original
> "Skonk Works"?
>
> 13) Bob Dylan, Roy Orbison and George Harrison, along with two other
> famous rock musicians, were members of the "Traveling Wilburys", who
> recorded two top-selling albums between 1988 and 1990. Name one of the
> other two members of the Wilburys.
Jeff Lynne

> 14) Patrick Marleau of the NHL's San Jose Sharks recently performed a
> very uncommon feat; the last time it was done in an NHL game was almost
> exactly twenty years prior to Marleau, that time by Mario Lemieux. What
> did these two players do?
score 6 goals in a game

> 15) Haggis, by tradition, is cooked in what unconventional container?
sheep stomach

Mark Brader

Feb 12, 2017, 2:05:32 PM2/12/17
A few of these answers are not wild guesses.

Don Piven:
> 1) In 1989, Metallica was widely expected to win the Grammy Award for
> Best Hard Rock/Metal Performance (the first such award in that
> category). Which decidedly non-metal rock group actually won the 1989
> Grammy in that category?

ZZ Top.

> 2) The National Freshwater Fishing Hall of Fame in Hayward, Wisconsin is
> the home of the world's largest fiberglass fish, checking in at 143 feet
> (44m). What species of fish is it an outsized model of?

Rainbow trout.

> 3) The Cleveland Indians now hold the dubious record of the longest time
> since their last Major League Baseball World Series championship (68
> years). Ignoring teams which have never won a Series, which MLB team is
> second in terms of years since their last World Series championship?

Chicago White Sox.

> 4) In Monty Python's Flying Circus, Spiny Norman was what kind of animal?

Hedgehog.

> 5) On August 21, 1961, William Magruder broke Mach 1.0 with what kind of
> commercial aircraft? (Answer with manufacturer and model name; e.g.,
> "Boeing 747" except that's not the answer.)

Douglas DC-8.

> 6) In the original "Get Smart" television series, Maxwell Smart drove
> three makes of automobile during the series' five-year run. Name any of
> those cars.

Sunbeam.

> 7) You have just won an event sanctioned by Worldloppet. What sport do
> you compete in?

Orienteering.

> 8) The Emmy Awards recognize excellence in the television industry. From
> which electronic device did the name "Emmy" originate?

Image orthicon tube.

> 9) Austria's Christoph Strasser holds the current record for riding a
> bicycle 3,020 miles between Oceanside, California and Annapolis,
> Maryland in the annual Race Across America. Within six hours, what was
> Strasser's time?

72 hours.

> 10) Travel writer William Least Heat-Moon wrote about crossing the
> United States on a vehicle named "Nikawa". What kind of vehicle was it?

Unicycle.

> 11) Amtrak's Auto Train service is the only passenger rail service in
> the US that allows passengers to bring their cars with them. Between
> which two states does the Auto Train operate?

Virginia, Florida.

(By the way, the service not only allows passengers to bring cars,
it requires it.)

> 12) What was the name of the noxious fluid prepared at the original
> "Skonk Works"?

Kickapoo Joy Juice.

> 13) Bob Dylan, Roy Orbison and George Harrison, along with two other
> famous rock musicians, were members of the "Traveling Wilburys", who
> recorded two top-selling albums between 1988 and 1990. Name one of the
> other two members of the Wilburys.

Clapton.

> 14) Patrick Marleau of the NHL's San Jose Sharks recently performed a
> very uncommon feat; the last time it was done in an NHL game was almost
> exactly twenty years prior to Marleau, that time by Mario Lemieux. What
> did these two players do?

Scored 6 goals in a game.

> 15) Haggis, by tradition, is cooked in what unconventional container?

The animal's stomach.
--
Mark Brader "So the American government went to IBM
Toronto to come up with a data encryption standard

Dan Tilque

Feb 14, 2017, 3:36:03 AM2/14/17
Don Piven wrote:

> 1) In 1989, Metallica was widely expected to win the Grammy Award for
> Best Hard Rock/Metal Performance (the first such award in that
> category). Which decidedly non-metal rock group actually won the 1989
> Grammy in that category?

Traveling Wilburys

> 2) The National Freshwater Fishing Hall of Fame in Hayward, Wisconsin is
> the home of the world's largest fiberglass fish, checking in at 143 feet
> (44m). What species of fish is it an outsized model of?

rainbow trout

> 3) The Cleveland Indians now hold the dubious record of the longest time
> since their last Major League Baseball World Series championship (68
> years). Ignoring teams which have never won a Series, which MLB team is
> second in terms of years since their last World Series championship?

Cinncinati Reds

> 4) In Monty Python's Flying Circus, Spiny Norman was what kind of animal?

hedgehog

> 5) On August 21, 1961, William Magruder broke Mach 1.0 with what kind of
> commercial aircraft? (Answer with manufacturer and model name; e.g.,
> "Boeing 747" except that's not the answer.)
>
> 6) In the original "Get Smart" television series, Maxwell Smart drove
> three makes of automobile during the series' five-year run. Name any of
> those cars.

Porsche

> 7) You have just won an event sanctioned by Worldloppet. What sport do
> you compete in?
>
> 8) The Emmy Awards recognize excellence in the television industry. From
> which electronic device did the name "Emmy" originate?
>
> 9) Austria's Christoph Strasser holds the current record for riding a
> bicycle 3,020 miles between Oceanside, California and Annapolis,
> Maryland in the annual Race Across America. Within six hours, what was
> Strasser's time?

145 hours

> 10) Travel writer William Least Heat-Moon wrote about crossing the
> United States on a vehicle named "Nikawa". What kind of vehicle was it?

solar-powered car

> 11) Amtrak's Auto Train service is the only passenger rail service in
> the US that allows passengers to bring their cars with them. Between
> which two states does the Auto Train operate?

Florida, New Yok

> 12) What was the name of the noxious fluid prepared at the original
> "Skonk Works"?
>
> 13) Bob Dylan, Roy Orbison and George Harrison, along with two other
> famous rock musicians, were members of the "Traveling Wilburys", who
> recorded two top-selling albums between 1988 and 1990. Name one of the
> other two members of the Wilburys.

Clapton

> 14) Patrick Marleau of the NHL's San Jose Sharks recently performed a
> very uncommon feat; the last time it was done in an NHL game was almost
> exactly twenty years prior to Marleau, that time by Mario Lemieux. What
> did these two players do?

4 goals in one game

> 15) Haggis, by tradition, is cooked in what unconventional container?

the animal's skin

--
Dan Tilque

ArenEss

Feb 14, 2017, 1:00:47 PM2/14/17
On Sun, 12 Feb 2017 05:21:41 -0600, Don Piven <d...@piven.net> wrote:

>This is rotating quiz #245. Today is February 12nd, 2017.
>
>Please answer based only on your own knowledge; put all of your
>answers in a single posting, quoting the question before each one.
>
>Answers must be posted before 11:59pm CDT (Chicago, IL) on Sunday,
>February 19, 2017.
>
>In case of a tie, the first tiebreaker will be who scored on the
>hardest questions; and the second tiebreaker will be who posted first.
>Correct answers are worth 1 point each.
>
>The winner will be the first choice to set RQ 246, in a manner of
>their choosing.
>
>Don Piven
>
>. . . . .
>
>1) In 1989, Metallica was widely expected to win the Grammy Award for
>Best Hard Rock/Metal Performance (the first such award in that
>category). Which decidedly non-metal rock group actually won the 1989
>Grammy in that category?
Jethro Tull

>2) The National Freshwater Fishing Hall of Fame in Hayward, Wisconsin is
>the home of the world's largest fiberglass fish, checking in at 143 feet
>(44m). What species of fish is it an outsized model of?
Muskellunge

>3) The Cleveland Indians now hold the dubious record of the longest time
>since their last Major League Baseball World Series championship (68
>years). Ignoring teams which have never won a Series, which MLB team is
>second in terms of years since their last World Series championship?
>
>4) In Monty Python's Flying Circus, Spiny Norman was what kind of animal?
Lobster?

>5) On August 21, 1961, William Magruder broke Mach 1.0 with what kind of
>commercial aircraft? (Answer with manufacturer and model name; e.g.,
>"Boeing 747" except that's not the answer.)
>
>6) In the original "Get Smart" television series, Maxwell Smart drove
>three makes of automobile during the series' five-year run. Name any of
>those cars.
Sunbeam Tiger

>7) You have just won an event sanctioned by Worldloppet. What sport do
>you compete in?
>
>8) The Emmy Awards recognize excellence in the television industry. From
>which electronic device did the name "Emmy" originate?
>
>9) Austria's Christoph Strasser holds the current record for riding a
>bicycle 3,020 miles between Oceanside, California and Annapolis,
>Maryland in the annual Race Across America. Within six hours, what was
>Strasser's time?
150 hours

>10) Travel writer William Least Heat-Moon wrote about crossing the
>United States on a vehicle named "Nikawa". What kind of vehicle was it?
Boat?

>11) Amtrak's Auto Train service is the only passenger rail service in
>the US that allows passengers to bring their cars with them. Between
>which two states does the Auto Train operate?
>
>12) What was the name of the noxious fluid prepared at the original
>"Skonk Works"?
Moonshine?

>13) Bob Dylan, Roy Orbison and George Harrison, along with two other
>famous rock musicians, were members of the "Traveling Wilburys", who
>recorded two top-selling albums between 1988 and 1990. Name one of the
>other two members of the Wilburys.
Jeff Lynn and Tom Petty

>14) Patrick Marleau of the NHL's San Jose Sharks recently performed a
>very uncommon feat; the last time it was done in an NHL game was almost
>exactly twenty years prior to Marleau, that time by Mario Lemieux. What
>did these two players do?
Scored 4 goals in one period of an NHL hockey game.

>15) Haggis, by tradition, is cooked in what unconventional container?
Sheep intestines

ArenEss

Gareth Owen

Feb 14, 2017, 5:20:08 PM2/14/17
Don Piven <d...@piven.net> writes:

> 1) In 1989, Metallica was widely expected to win the Grammy Award for
> Best Hard Rock/Metal Performance (the first such award in that
> category). Which decidedly non-metal rock group actually won the 1989
> Grammy in that category?

Styx

> 2) The National Freshwater Fishing Hall of Fame in Hayward, Wisconsin
> is the home of the world's largest fiberglass fish, checking in at 143
> feet (44m). What species of fish is it an outsized model of?

Bass

> 3) The Cleveland Indians now hold the dubious record of the longest
> time since their last Major League Baseball World Series championship
> (68 years). Ignoring teams which have never won a Series, which MLB
> team is second in terms of years since their last World Series
> championship?

Oakland

> 4) In Monty Python's Flying Circus, Spiny Norman was what kind of animal?

Anteater

> 5) On August 21, 1961, William Magruder broke Mach 1.0 with what kind
> of commercial aircraft? (Answer with manufacturer and model name;
> e.g., "Boeing 747" except that's not the answer.)

De Havilland Comet

> 6) In the original "Get Smart" television series, Maxwell Smart drove
> three makes of automobile during the series' five-year run. Name any
> of those cars.

Oldsmobile

> 7) You have just won an event sanctioned by Worldloppet. What sport
> do you compete in?
>
> 8) The Emmy Awards recognize excellence in the television
> industry. From which electronic device did the name "Emmy" originate?
>
> 9) Austria's Christoph Strasser holds the current record for riding a
> bicycle 3,020 miles between Oceanside, California and Annapolis,
> Maryland in the annual Race Across America. Within six hours, what
> was Strasser's time?

117 hours

> 10) Travel writer William Least Heat-Moon wrote about crossing the
> United States on a vehicle named "Nikawa". What kind of vehicle was
> it?

Blimey, Blue Highways. Haven't thought about that book for 20 years. I
think I still have it somewhere (or it may have gone to Charity Shop
[i.e. Goodwill]). Anyways was some kind of Ford Econoline van or somesuch.

> 11) Amtrak's Auto Train service is the only passenger rail service in
> the US that allows passengers to bring their cars with them. Between
> which two states does the Auto Train operate?

New York / Florida

> 12) What was the name of the noxious fluid prepared at the original
> "Skonk Works"?
>
> 13) Bob Dylan, Roy Orbison and George Harrison, along with two other
> famous rock musicians, were members of the "Traveling Wilburys", who
> recorded two top-selling albums between 1988 and 1990. Name one of
> the other two members of the Wilburys.

Jeff Lynne (and Tom Petty)

> 14) Patrick Marleau of the NHL's San Jose Sharks recently performed a
> very uncommon feat; the last time it was done in an NHL game was
> almost exactly twenty years prior to Marleau, that time by Mario
> Lemieux. What did these two players do?

Six goals in a game

> 15) Haggis, by tradition, is cooked in what unconventional container?

A sheep bladder

Erland Sommarskog

Feb 14, 2017, 7:50:57 PM2/14/17
Don Piven (d...@piven.net) writes:
> 1) In 1989, Metallica was widely expected to win the Grammy Award for
> Best Hard Rock/Metal Performance (the first such award in that
> category). Which decidedly non-metal rock group actually won the 1989
> Grammy in that category?

Bon Jovi

> 2) The National Freshwater Fishing Hall of Fame in Hayward, Wisconsin is
> the home of the world's largest fiberglass fish, checking in at 143 feet
> (44m). What species of fish is it an outsized model of?

Bass

> 3) The Cleveland Indians now hold the dubious record of the longest time
> since their last Major League Baseball World Series championship (68
> years). Ignoring teams which have never won a Series, which MLB team is
> second in terms of years since their last World Series championship?

Let's see, Seattle has a baseball team, so I go with that. Don't really
know what they are called, Mariners?

> 4) In Monty Python's Flying Circus, Spiny Norman was what kind of animal?

Acquarium fish

> 7) You have just won an event sanctioned by Worldloppet. What sport do
> you compete in?

Cross-country skiing.

> 9) Austria's Christoph Strasser holds the current record for riding a
> bicycle 3,020 miles between Oceanside, California and Annapolis,
> Maryland in the annual Race Across America. Within six hours, what was
> Strasser's time?

Is that the time he actually spent on the bicycle, or the total time?
Assuming the former, I try with 240 hours.

> 13) Bob Dylan, Roy Orbison and George Harrison, along with two other
> famous rock musicians, were members of the "Traveling Wilburys", who
> recorded two top-selling albums between 1988 and 1990. Name one of the
> other two members of the Wilburys.

Jeff Lynne

Dan Tilque

Feb 14, 2017, 11:18:41 PM2/14/17
Erland Sommarskog wrote:
> Don Piven (d...@piven.net) writes:
>
>> 3) The Cleveland Indians now hold the dubious record of the longest time
>> since their last Major League Baseball World Series championship (68
>> years). Ignoring teams which have never won a Series, which MLB team is
>> second in terms of years since their last World Series championship?
>
> Let's see, Seattle has a baseball team, so I go with that. Don't really
> know what they are called, Mariners?

Alas, the Mariners have never been in a Series. They should have been,
back in the 90s. I forget which year, but they set a record for the most
wins during the regular season, only to lose to the Yankees in the playoffs.

Googling, I see it was actually in 2001 when they tied the record (116)
set by the Cubs way back in 1906.

--
Dan Tilque (damnyankees!)

Don Piven

Feb 20, 2017, 8:45:54 AM2/20/17
Here are the answers and results for RQ #245. A couple of the answers
have additional informative or explanatory information below the scores.

1) In 1989, Metallica was widely expected to win the Grammy Award for
Best Hard Rock/Metal Performance (the first such award in that
category). Which decidedly non-metal rock group actually won the 1989
Grammy in that category?

Jethro Tull.

2) The National Freshwater Fishing Hall of Fame in Hayward, Wisconsin is
the home of the world's largest fiberglass fish, checking in at 143 feet
(44m). What species of fish is it an outsized model of?

Muskellunge. (There is an observation platform inside the musky's mouth.)

3) The Cleveland Indians now hold the dubious record of the longest time
since their last Major League Baseball World Series championship (68
years). Ignoring teams which have never won a Series, which MLB team is
second in terms of years since their last World Series championship?

The Pittsburgh Pirates, who last won a Series in 1979. The Mets, A's,
Reds, and White Sox have all won World Series after '79. Teams that
have never won a Series were specifically excluded from consideration,
so the Mariners were out of the running.

4) In Monty Python's Flying Circus, Spiny Norman was what kind of animal?

Hedgehog.

5) On August 21, 1961, William Magruder broke Mach 1.0 with what kind of
commercial aircraft? (Answer with manufacturer and model name; e.g.,
"Boeing 747" except that's not the answer.)

A Douglas DC-8.

6) In the original "Get Smart" television series, Maxwell Smart drove
three makes of automobile during the series' five-year run. Name any of
those cars.

Sunbeam Tiger, Volkswagen Karmann Ghia, Opel GT. See below for more
information.

7) You have just won an event sanctioned by Worldloppet. What sport do
you compete in?

Long-distance cross-country skiing. Worldloppet sanctions 20 races
across the world which are marathon-length or longer.

8) The Emmy Awards recognize excellence in the television industry. From
which electronic device did the name "Emmy" originate?

The image orthicon, or "Immy", used in early television cameras to
capture images and convert them to video signals.

9) Austria's Christoph Strasser holds the current record for riding a
bicycle 3,020 miles between Oceanside, California and Annapolis,
Maryland in the annual Race Across America. Within six hours, what was
Strasser's time?

Strasser rode the 2014 RAAM in 7 days, 15 hours, 56 minutes, or 183
hours, 56 minutes. Anything between 177:56 and 189:56 would have fallen
inside the "correct window". (This was the time elapsed between his
crossing the starting line and crossing the finish line, including rest
time.)

10) Travel writer William Least Heat-Moon wrote about crossing the
United States on a vehicle named "Nikawa". What kind of vehicle was it?

Nikawa was a C-Dory boat used to cross the US via navigable waterways
(minus a few trailer portages and short segments traveled via canoe).
This trip was documented in Heat-Moon's book, "River Horse".

11) Amtrak's Auto Train service is the only passenger rail service in
the US that allows passengers to bring their cars with them. Which two
states does the Auto Train operate between?

Virginia (Lorton) and Florida (Sanford).

12) What was the name of the noxious fluid prepared at the original
"Skonk Works"?

Kickapoo Joy Juice, in the "Li'l Abner" comic strip.

13) Bob Dylan, Roy Orbison and George Harrison, along with two other
famous rock musicians, were members of the "Traveling Wilburys", who
recorded two top-selling albums between 1988 and 1990. Name one of the
other two members of the Wilburys.

Jeff Lynne, Tom Petty.

14) Patrick Marleau of the NHL's San Jose Sharks recently performed a
very uncommon feat; the last time it was done in an NHL game was almost
exactly twenty years prior to Marleau, that time by Mario Lemieux. What
did these two players do?

Score four goals in one period. See below for more information.

15) Haggis, by tradition, is cooked in what unconventional container?

A sheep's stomach. Any answer that contained "stomach" was counted correct.

And now, the scores:

Contestants 1 1 1 1 1 1
Name 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 Total
======================= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = ====
ArenEss 1 1 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 1 0 0 1 1 0 6
Dan Blum 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 1 3
Mark Brader 0 0 0 1 1 1 0 1 0 0 1 1 0 0 1 7 WINNER
Marc Dashevsky 0 0 0 1 1 0 0 0 0 0 1 0 1 0 1 5
Gareth Owen 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 0 0 1
Erland Sommarskog 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 0 0 1 0 0 2
Dan Tilque 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 1
----------------------- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - ----
Correct answers 1 1 0 4 2 2 1 1 0 1 3 1 4 1 3

Congratulations to Mark Brader for winning RQ #245!

Some notes on a few of the questions:

6) In addition to the three cars listed as answers (which were
frequently used in the opening sequence or during the episodes), Smart
also drove a Ferrari 250 GT (in the pilot episode), a Citroen 2CV (in
one episode), and a Ford Shelby Mustang (in two episodes). The VW and
Opel cars were included when their respective manufacturers became major
sponsors of the series. After posting the questions, I realized that I
had asked just for the car's manufacturer instead of "make and model"
(which I did do for the previous question). Those of you who provided a
correct manufacturer got a correct answer.

14) Marleau did it in the Sharks' 5-2 win over the Colorado Avalanche on
Jan 24 2017; Super Mario did it on Jan 26 1997 in the Pittsburgh
Penguins' win over the Montreal Canadiens, also with a score of 5-2.
"Six goals in a game" was mentioned surprisingly often. This has been
done in NHL games, but not since Darryl Sittler did it in 1976 for the
Toronto Maple Leafs. Lemieux has scored five goals in a game four
different times, the latest in 1996. Marleau hasn't yet managed five in
a game. Technically, these two players also scored four goals in a
game. However, I did mention in the question that this particular
achievement hadn't been done for twenty years, and scoring four goals in
a game was done as recently as October 2016 by the Leafs' Auston
Matthews. So, "four goals in a game" didn't make it.

I had fun coming up with the questions, and I hope you all had fun
answering them!

Mark Brader

Feb 20, 2017, 1:20:49 PM2/20/17
Don Piven:
> 7) You have just won an event sanctioned by Worldloppet. What sport do
> you compete in?
>
> Long-distance cross-country skiing. Worldloppet sanctions 20 races
> across the world which are marathon-length or longer.

Hah, I wasn't far off!

> 9) Austria's Christoph Strasser holds the current record for riding a
> bicycle 3,020 miles between Oceanside, California and Annapolis,
> Maryland in the annual Race Across America. Within six hours, what was
> Strasser's time?
>
> Strasser rode the 2014 RAAM in 7 days, 15 hours, 56 minutes, or 183
> hours, 56 minutes. Anything between 177:56 and 189:56 would have fallen
> inside the "correct window". (This was the time elapsed between his
> crossing the starting line and crossing the finish line, including rest
> time.)

You might have said that was how the time was being computed!
I assumed that only the time while racing each stage would count.

(As a matter of interest, do you have that number?)

> Congratulations to Mark Brader for winning RQ #245!

Oh! Well, that's all right, then. Thanks.
--
Mark Brader | "...people continue to wish that C were something it is not,
Toronto | not realizing that if C were what they thought they wanted
| be using it in the first place." -- Steve Summit

Gareth Owen

Feb 21, 2017, 1:38:21 AM2/21/17
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) writes:

> You might have said that was how the time was being computed!
> I assumed that only the time while racing each stage would count.
>
> (As a matter of interest, do you have that number?)

The NY Times quotes him as having 7.5 hours of sleep over the course of
the race... Almost all competitors are in the saddle 22+ hours a day.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/06/28/sports/cycling/in-cycling-race-across-america-sleep-is-shunned.html

Mark Brader

Feb 21, 2017, 2:20:55 AM2/21/17
Mark Brader:
>> You might have said that was how the time was being computed!
>> I assumed that only the time while racing each stage would count.
>>
>> (As a matter of interest, do you have that number?)

Gareth Owen:
> The NY Times quotes him as having 7.5 hours of sleep over the course of
> the race... Almost all competitors are in the saddle 22+ hours a day.
>
> http://www.nytimes.com/2011/06/28/sports/cycling/in-cycling-race-across-america-sleep-is-shunned.html

Thanks. Obviously, I had no idea it was that sort of race.
I envisioned something for *sane* crazy people, like the Tour
de France where, as it says, "you stop at the end of the day --
you rest, you get a massage, eat a meal, sleep and then start
fresh the next day".
--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "It was too crazy to be true,
m...@vex.net | and too crazy to be false." --Tom Clancy

Gareth Owen

Feb 21, 2017, 2:57:53 PM2/21/17
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) writes:

> Mark Brader:
>>> You might have said that was how the time was being computed!
>>> I assumed that only the time while racing each stage would count.
>>>
>>> (As a matter of interest, do you have that number?)
>
> Gareth Owen:
>> The NY Times quotes him as having 7.5 hours of sleep over the course of
>> the race... Almost all competitors are in the saddle 22+ hours a day.
>>
>> http://www.nytimes.com/2011/06/28/sports/cycling/in-cycling-race-across-america-sleep-is-shunned.html
>
> Thanks. Obviously, I had no idea it was that sort of race.

I knew it was that sort of race, and was still out by two and a half days...