QFTCIBP Game 1, Rounds 4,6: geometry and ping-pong

Mark Brader

Feb 21, 2018, 11:53:44 PM2/21/18
These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2018-01-15,
and should be interpreted accordingly.

Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
the correct answers in about 3 days.

All questions were written by members of Bill Psychs and are
used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have
been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information see
my 2017-09-25 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

* Game 1, Round 4 - Science - Geometry

Please see the handout at:

http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/1-4/geom.pdf

For questions #1-8, select the applicable formula from the handout.
(Note: the fractions in formulas D, F, and K are badly rendered.
In each case please read the numerical fraction as being multiplied
by what follows; for example, D is 1/2 times bh.)

1. Surface area of a sphere.
2. Area of a circle.
3. Volume of a sphere.
4. Volume of a cylinder.
5. Area of a triangle.
6. Surface area of a cylinder.
7. Volume of a cone.
8. Euler's identity.

For questions #9-10, see the diagram at the bottom of the handout.

9. Which line on the diagram (as usual, name it by its two
endpoints) represents the sine of angle theta?

10. What trig function of angle theta does line PR represent?

* Game 1, Round 6 - Sports - Ping-Pong

Whether you call it ping-pong or table tennis, it is a sport that
combines precision skills and blinding speeds when played at the
highest levels.

1. What year was the game first played at the Olympics?

2. The balls are usually one of two colors, in order to contrast
with the table. White is one. What is the other?

3. Which well-known US board-games manufacturer purchased the
rights to the name "Ping-Pong", and enforced the trademark on
it during the 1920s?

4. Within 5 years, when was the International Table Tennis
Federation (ITTF) founded?

5. Table tennis rackets are usually called paddles in North America.
What are they usually called in Britain?

6. There are two general styles of grip in table tennis.
Both of their names refer to things commonly done with the hands.
Name either grip.

7. The table tennis Grand Slam is earned by winning singles
championships at the Olympic Games, World Championships, and
World Cup. Jan-Ove Waldner was the first player to complete
the Grand Slam. What country is he from?

8. Ping-pong players would sometimes add a substance to their
rackets to increase the speed and spin of the ball, but it was
banned by the ITTF in 2009. Name the substance.

9. In the January 2018 ITTF men's world ranking list, the top 5
ranked players are all from either China or -- what European
nation?

10. In the January 2018 ITTF women's world ranking list, the first
two ranked players are from China and the third is from
Singapore. What other Asian country are the next three ranked
players from?

--
Mark Brader, Toronto "Don't anthropomorphize evolution:
m...@vex.net It hates that." --John Freiler

Erland Sommarskog

Feb 22, 2018, 12:25:41 AM2/22/18
Mark Brader (m...@vex.net) writes:
> 1. Surface area of a sphere.

> 2. Area of a circle.

> 3. Volume of a sphere.

> 4. Volume of a cylinder.

> 5. Area of a triangle.

> 6. Surface area of a cylinder.

> 7. Volume of a cone.

> 8. Euler's identity.

> 9. Which line on the diagram (as usual, name it by its two
> endpoints) represents the sine of angle theta?

OP

> 10. What trig function of angle theta does line PR represent?

tangent

> * Game 1, Round 6 - Sports - Ping-Pong
>
> Whether you call it ping-pong or table tennis, it is a sport that
> combines precision skills and blinding speeds when played at the
> highest levels.
>
> 1. What year was the game first played at the Olympics?

1960

> 2. The balls are usually one of two colors, in order to contrast
> with the table. White is one. What is the other?

Light-brown

> 4. Within 5 years, when was the International Table Tennis
> Federation (ITTF) founded?

1936

> 7. The table tennis Grand Slam is earned by winning singles
> championships at the Olympic Games, World Championships, and
> World Cup. Jan-Ove Waldner was the first player to complete
> the Grand Slam. What country is he from?

I've heard of that guy before! :-)

Sweden

> 9. In the January 2018 ITTF men's world ranking list, the top 5
> ranked players are all from either China or -- what European
> nation?

France

> 10. In the January 2018 ITTF women's world ranking list, the first
> two ranked players are from China and the third is from
> Singapore. What other Asian country are the next three ranked
> players from?

Japan

Marc Dashevsky

Feb 22, 2018, 1:31:39 AM2/22/18
In article <I7KdnUD8xehO0RPH...@giganews.com>, m...@vex.net says...
> * Game 1, Round 4 - Science - Geometry
>
> Please see the handout at:
>
> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/1-4/geom.pdf
>
> For questions #1-8, select the applicable formula from the handout.
> (Note: the fractions in formulas D, F, and K are badly rendered.
> In each case please read the numerical fraction as being multiplied
> by what follows; for example, D is 1/2 times bh.)
>
> 1. Surface area of a sphere.

> 2. Area of a circle.

> 3. Volume of a sphere.

> 4. Volume of a cylinder.

> 5. Area of a triangle.

> 6. Surface area of a cylinder.

> 7. Volume of a cone.

> 8. Euler's identity.

> For questions #9-10, see the diagram at the bottom of the handout.
>
> 9. Which line on the diagram (as usual, name it by its two
> endpoints) represents the sine of angle theta?
>
> 10. What trig function of angle theta does line PR represent?
tangent

> * Game 1, Round 6 - Sports - Ping-Pong
>
> Whether you call it ping-pong or table tennis, it is a sport that
> combines precision skills and blinding speeds when played at the
> highest levels.
>
> 1. What year was the game first played at the Olympics?
>
> 2. The balls are usually one of two colors, in order to contrast
> with the table. White is one. What is the other?
yellow

> 3. Which well-known US board-games manufacturer purchased the
> rights to the name "Ping-Pong", and enforced the trademark on
> it during the 1920s?
Parker Brothers

> 4. Within 5 years, when was the International Table Tennis
> Federation (ITTF) founded?
>
> 5. Table tennis rackets are usually called paddles in North America.
> What are they usually called in Britain?
bats

> 6. There are two general styles of grip in table tennis.
> Both of their names refer to things commonly done with the hands.
> Name either grip.
handshake

> 7. The table tennis Grand Slam is earned by winning singles
> championships at the Olympic Games, World Championships, and
> World Cup. Jan-Ove Waldner was the first player to complete
> the Grand Slam. What country is he from?
>
> 8. Ping-pong players would sometimes add a substance to their
> rackets to increase the speed and spin of the ball, but it was
> banned by the ITTF in 2009. Name the substance.
>
> 9. In the January 2018 ITTF men's world ranking list, the top 5
> ranked players are all from either China or -- what European
> nation?
>
> 10. In the January 2018 ITTF women's world ranking list, the first
> two ranked players are from China and the third is from
> Singapore. What other Asian country are the next three ranked
> players from?

Joshua Kreitzer

Feb 22, 2018, 2:34:10 AM2/22/18
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:I7KdnUD8xehO0RPHnZ2dnUU7-
e_N...@giganews.com:

> * Game 1, Round 4 - Science - Geometry
>
> Please see the handout at:
>
> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/1-4/geom.pdf
>
> For questions #1-8, select the applicable formula from the handout.
> (Note: the fractions in formulas D, F, and K are badly rendered.
> In each case please read the numerical fraction as being multiplied
> by what follows; for example, D is 1/2 times bh.)
>
> 1. Surface area of a sphere.

> 2. Area of a circle.

> 3. Volume of a sphere.

> 4. Volume of a cylinder.

> 5. Area of a triangle.

> 6. Surface area of a cylinder.

> 7. Volume of a cone.

> 8. Euler's identity.

> For questions #9-10, see the diagram at the bottom of the handout.
>
> 9. Which line on the diagram (as usual, name it by its two
> endpoints) represents the sine of angle theta?

PQ

> 10. What trig function of angle theta does line PR represent?

tangent

> * Game 1, Round 6 - Sports - Ping-Pong
>
> Whether you call it ping-pong or table tennis, it is a sport that
> combines precision skills and blinding speeds when played at the
> highest levels.
>
> 1. What year was the game first played at the Olympics?

1988

> 2. The balls are usually one of two colors, in order to contrast
> with the table. White is one. What is the other?

yellow; red

> 3. Which well-known US board-games manufacturer purchased the
> rights to the name "Ping-Pong", and enforced the trademark on
> it during the 1920s?

Milton Bradley

> 4. Within 5 years, when was the International Table Tennis
> Federation (ITTF) founded?

1920; 1931

> 7. The table tennis Grand Slam is earned by winning singles
> championships at the Olympic Games, World Championships, and
> World Cup. Jan-Ove Waldner was the first player to complete
> the Grand Slam. What country is he from?

Norway; Denmark

> 9. In the January 2018 ITTF men's world ranking list, the top 5
> ranked players are all from either China or -- what European
> nation?

France; Italy

> 10. In the January 2018 ITTF women's world ranking list, the first
> two ranked players are from China and the third is from
> Singapore. What other Asian country are the next three ranked
> players from?

South Korea

--
Joshua Kreitzer
grom...@hotmail.com

Peter Smyth

Feb 22, 2018, 5:28:09 AM2/22/18
Mark Brader wrote:

> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2018-01-15,

> Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
> the correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of Bill Psychs and are
> used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have
> been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information see
> my 2017-09-25 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>

> * Game 1, Round 4 - Science - Geometry
>
> Please see the handout at:
>
> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/1-4/geom.pdf
>
> For questions #1-8, select the applicable formula from the handout.
> (Note: the fractions in formulas D, F, and K are badly rendered.
> In each case please read the numerical fraction as being multiplied
> by what follows; for example, D is 1/2 times bh.)
>
> 1. Surface area of a sphere.
> 2. Area of a circle.
> 3. Volume of a sphere.
> 4. Volume of a cylinder.
> 5. Area of a triangle.
> 6. Surface area of a cylinder.
> 7. Volume of a cone.
> 8. Euler's identity.
>
> For questions #9-10, see the diagram at the bottom of the handout.
>
> 9. Which line on the diagram (as usual, name it by its two
> endpoints) represents the sine of angle theta?
PQ
> 10. What trig function of angle theta does line PR represent?
tangent

> * Game 1, Round 6 - Sports - Ping-Pong
>
> Whether you call it ping-pong or table tennis, it is a sport that
> combines precision skills and blinding speeds when played at the
> highest levels.
>
> 1. What year was the game first played at the Olympics?
1908
> 2. The balls are usually one of two colors, in order to contrast
> with the table. White is one. What is the other?
Yellow
> 3. Which well-known US board-games manufacturer purchased the
> rights to the name "Ping-Pong", and enforced the trademark on
> it during the 1920s?
>
> 4. Within 5 years, when was the International Table Tennis
> Federation (ITTF) founded?
1908
> 5. Table tennis rackets are usually called paddles in North America.
> What are they usually called in Britain?
Bats
> 6. There are two general styles of grip in table tennis.
> Both of their names refer to things commonly done with the hands.
> Name either grip.
>
> 7. The table tennis Grand Slam is earned by winning singles
> championships at the Olympic Games, World Championships, and
> World Cup. Jan-Ove Waldner was the first player to complete
> the Grand Slam. What country is he from?
Denmark, Sweden
> 8. Ping-pong players would sometimes add a substance to their
> rackets to increase the speed and spin of the ball, but it was
> banned by the ITTF in 2009. Name the substance.
>
> 9. In the January 2018 ITTF men's world ranking list, the top 5
> ranked players are all from either China or -- what European
> nation?
Denmark, Sweden
> 10. In the January 2018 ITTF women's world ranking list, the first
> two ranked players are from China and the third is from
> Singapore. What other Asian country are the next three ranked
> players from?
Malaysia, South Korea

Peter Smyth

Dan Blum

Feb 22, 2018, 8:56:35 AM2/22/18
Mark Brader <m...@vex.net> wrote:

> * Game 1, Round 4 - Science - Geometry

> 1. Surface area of a sphere.

> 2. Area of a circle.

> 3. Volume of a sphere.

> 4. Volume of a cylinder.

> 5. Area of a triangle.

> 6. Surface area of a cylinder.

> 7. Volume of a cone.

> 8. Euler's identity.

> 9. Which line on the diagram (as usual, name it by its two
> endpoints) represents the sine of angle theta?

PQ

> 10. What trig function of angle theta does line PR represent?

arctangent

> * Game 1, Round 6 - Sports - Ping-Pong

> 1. What year was the game first played at the Olympics?

1968; 1972

> 2. The balls are usually one of two colors, in order to contrast
> with the table. White is one. What is the other?

orange

> 3. Which well-known US board-games manufacturer purchased the
> rights to the name "Ping-Pong", and enforced the trademark on
> it during the 1920s?

Milton Bradley; Parker Brothers

> 4. Within 5 years, when was the International Table Tennis
> Federation (ITTF) founded?

1910; 1930

> 5. Table tennis rackets are usually called paddles in North America.
> What are they usually called in Britain?

bats

This was on Jeopardy the other day.

> 6. There are two general styles of grip in table tennis.
> Both of their names refer to things commonly done with the hands.
> Name either grip.

handshake

So was this.

> 7. The table tennis Grand Slam is earned by winning singles
> championships at the Olympic Games, World Championships, and
> World Cup. Jan-Ove Waldner was the first player to complete
> the Grand Slam. What country is he from?

Norway; Sweden

> 9. In the January 2018 ITTF men's world ranking list, the top 5
> ranked players are all from either China or -- what European
> nation?

Sweden; Norway

> 10. In the January 2018 ITTF women's world ranking list, the first
> two ranked players are from China and the third is from
> Singapore. What other Asian country are the next three ranked
> players from?

Taiwan; South Korea

Dan Blum to...@panix.com

Bruce Bowler

Feb 22, 2018, 10:28:32 AM2/22/18
On Wed, 21 Feb 2018 22:53:39 -0600, Mark Brader wrote:

> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2018-01-15, and
> should be interpreted accordingly.
>
> On each question you may give up to two answers, but if you give both a
> right answer and a wrong answer, there is a small penalty. Please post
> all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup, based only on
> your own knowledge. (In your answer posting, quote the questions and
> place your answer below each one.) I will reveal the correct answers in
> about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of Bill Psychs and are used here
> by permission, but have been reformatted and may have been retyped
> and/or edited by me. For further information see my 2017-09-25
> companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>

> * Game 1, Round 4 - Science - Geometry
>
> Please see the handout at:
>
> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/1-4/geom.pdf
>
> For questions #1-8, select the applicable formula from the handout.
> (Note: the fractions in formulas D, F, and K are badly rendered.
> In each case please read the numerical fraction as being multiplied by
> what follows; for example, D is 1/2 times bh.)
>
> 1. Surface area of a sphere.

> 2. Area of a circle.

> 3. Volume of a sphere.

> 4. Volume of a cylinder.

> 5. Area of a triangle.

> 6. Surface area of a cylinder.

> 7. Volume of a cone.

> 8. Euler's identity.

> For questions #9-10, see the diagram at the bottom of the handout.
>
> 9. Which line on the diagram (as usual, name it by its two
> endpoints) represents the sine of angle theta?

PQ

> 10. What trig function of angle theta does line PR represent?
>
> * Game 1, Round 6 - Sports - Ping-Pong
>
> Whether you call it ping-pong or table tennis, it is a sport that
> combines precision skills and blinding speeds when played at the highest
> levels.
>
> 1. What year was the game first played at the Olympics?
>
> 2. The balls are usually one of two colors, in order to contrast
> with the table. White is one. What is the other?

Yellow

> 3. Which well-known US board-games manufacturer purchased the
> rights to the name "Ping-Pong", and enforced the trademark on it
> during the 1920s?

Voit

> 4. Within 5 years, when was the International Table Tennis
> Federation (ITTF) founded?
>
> 5. Table tennis rackets are usually called paddles in North America.
> What are they usually called in Britain?

Bats

> 6. There are two general styles of grip in table tennis.
> Both of their names refer to things commonly done with the hands.
> Name either grip.

Pencil

> 7. The table tennis Grand Slam is earned by winning singles
> championships at the Olympic Games, World Championships, and World
> Cup. Jan-Ove Waldner was the first player to complete the Grand
> Slam. What country is he from?

Netherlands

> 8. Ping-pong players would sometimes add a substance to their
> rackets to increase the speed and spin of the ball, but it was banned
> by the ITTF in 2009. Name the substance.
>
> 9. In the January 2018 ITTF men's world ranking list, the top 5
> ranked players are all from either China or -- what European nation?
>
> 10. In the January 2018 ITTF women's world ranking list, the first
> two ranked players are from China and the third is from Singapore.
> What other Asian country are the next three ranked players from?

Taiwan; Japan

Jason Kreitzer

Feb 22, 2018, 3:21:14 PM2/22/18
On Wednesday, February 21, 2018 at 11:53:44 PM UTC-5, Mark Brader wrote:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2018-01-15,

> Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
> the correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of Bill Psychs and are
> used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have
> been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information see
> my 2017-09-25 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>

> * Game 1, Round 4 - Science - Geometry
>
> Please see the handout at:
>
> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/1-4/geom.pdf
>
> For questions #1-8, select the applicable formula from the handout.
> (Note: the fractions in formulas D, F, and K are badly rendered.
> In each case please read the numerical fraction as being multiplied
> by what follows; for example, D is 1/2 times bh.)
>
> 1. Surface area of a sphere.
> 2. Area of a circle.
> 3. Volume of a sphere.
> 4. Volume of a cylinder.
> 5. Area of a triangle.
> 6. Surface area of a cylinder.
> 7. Volume of a cone.
> 8. Euler's identity.
>
> For questions #9-10, see the diagram at the bottom of the handout.
>
> 9. Which line on the diagram (as usual, name it by its two
> endpoints) represents the sine of angle theta?
-I and Y

Dan Tilque

Feb 22, 2018, 10:04:52 PM2/22/18
Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 1, Round 4 - Science - Geometry
>
> Please see the handout at:
>
> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/1-4/geom.pdf
>
> For questions #1-8, select the applicable formula from the handout.
> (Note: the fractions in formulas D, F, and K are badly rendered.
> In each case please read the numerical fraction as being multiplied
> by what follows; for example, D is 1/2 times bh.)
>
> 1. Surface area of a sphere.

> 2. Area of a circle.

> 3. Volume of a sphere.

> 4. Volume of a cylinder.

> 5. Area of a triangle.

> 6. Surface area of a cylinder.

> 7. Volume of a cone.

> 8. Euler's identity.

> For questions #9-10, see the diagram at the bottom of the handout.
>
> 9. Which line on the diagram (as usual, name it by its two
> endpoints) represents the sine of angle theta?

PQ

> 10. What trig function of angle theta does line PR represent?

tangent

> * Game 1, Round 6 - Sports - Ping-Pong
>
> Whether you call it ping-pong or table tennis, it is a sport that
> combines precision skills and blinding speeds when played at the
> highest levels.
>
> 1. What year was the game first played at the Olympics?

1948

> 2. The balls are usually one of two colors, in order to contrast
> with the table. White is one. What is the other?

yellow

> 3. Which well-known US board-games manufacturer purchased the
> rights to the name "Ping-Pong", and enforced the trademark on
> it during the 1920s?

Parker

> 4. Within 5 years, when was the International Table Tennis
> Federation (ITTF) founded?

1950

> 5. Table tennis rackets are usually called paddles in North America.
> What are they usually called in Britain?

mallets

> 6. There are two general styles of grip in table tennis.
> Both of their names refer to things commonly done with the hands.
> Name either grip.
>
> 7. The table tennis Grand Slam is earned by winning singles
> championships at the Olympic Games, World Championships, and
> World Cup. Jan-Ove Waldner was the first player to complete
> the Grand Slam. What country is he from?

Norway

> 8. Ping-pong players would sometimes add a substance to their
> rackets to increase the speed and spin of the ball, but it was
> banned by the ITTF in 2009. Name the substance.

resin

> 9. In the January 2018 ITTF men's world ranking list, the top 5
> ranked players are all from either China or -- what European
> nation?

Denmark

> 10. In the January 2018 ITTF women's world ranking list, the first
> two ranked players are from China and the third is from
> Singapore. What other Asian country are the next three ranked
> players from?

South Korea

--
Dan Tilque

Pete Gayde

Feb 23, 2018, 5:56:34 PM2/23/18
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:I7KdnUD8xehO0RPHnZ2dnUU7-
e_N...@giganews.com:

> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2018-01-15,

> Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
> the correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of Bill Psychs and are
> used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have
> been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information see
> my 2017-09-25 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>

> * Game 1, Round 4 - Science - Geometry
>
> Please see the handout at:
>
> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/1-4/geom.pdf
>
> For questions #1-8, select the applicable formula from the handout.
> (Note: the fractions in formulas D, F, and K are badly rendered.
> In each case please read the numerical fraction as being multiplied
> by what follows; for example, D is 1/2 times bh.)
>
> 1. Surface area of a sphere.
> 2. Area of a circle.

> 3. Volume of a sphere.

> 4. Volume of a cylinder.

> 5. Area of a triangle.

> 6. Surface area of a cylinder.
> 7. Volume of a cone.

> 8. Euler's identity.

> For questions #9-10, see the diagram at the bottom of the handout.
>
> 9. Which line on the diagram (as usual, name it by its two
> endpoints) represents the sine of angle theta?

OR

> 10. What trig function of angle theta does line PR represent?

Cosine

> * Game 1, Round 6 - Sports - Ping-Pong
>
> Whether you call it ping-pong or table tennis, it is a sport that
> combines precision skills and blinding speeds when played at the
> highest levels.
>
> 1. What year was the game first played at the Olympics?

1960; 1964

> 2. The balls are usually one of two colors, in order to contrast
> with the table. White is one. What is the other?

Orange; Yellow

> 3. Which well-known US board-games manufacturer purchased the
> rights to the name "Ping-Pong", and enforced the trademark on
> it during the 1920s?

Milton Bradley

> 4. Within 5 years, when was the International Table Tennis
> Federation (ITTF) founded?

1960; 1971

> 5. Table tennis rackets are usually called paddles in North America.
> What are they usually called in Britain?

Racket

> 6. There are two general styles of grip in table tennis.
> Both of their names refer to things commonly done with the hands.
> Name either grip.

Handshake

> 7. The table tennis Grand Slam is earned by winning singles
> championships at the Olympic Games, World Championships, and
> World Cup. Jan-Ove Waldner was the first player to complete
> the Grand Slam. What country is he from?

Denmark; Norway

> 8. Ping-pong players would sometimes add a substance to their
> rackets to increase the speed and spin of the ball, but it was
> banned by the ITTF in 2009. Name the substance.
>
> 9. In the January 2018 ITTF men's world ranking list, the top 5
> ranked players are all from either China or -- what European
> nation?

Denmark; Norway

> 10. In the January 2018 ITTF women's world ranking list, the first
> two ranked players are from China and the third is from
> Singapore. What other Asian country are the next three ranked
> players from?

Taiwan; Vietnam

Pete Gayde

Mark Brader

Feb 25, 2018, 1:03:23 AM2/25/18
Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2018-01-15,
> see my 2017-09-25 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

> * Game 1, Round 4 - Science - Geometry

> Please see the handout at:

> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/1-4/geom.pdf

> For questions #1-8, select the applicable formula from the handout.
> (Note: the fractions in formulas D, F, and K are badly rendered.
> In each case please read the numerical fraction as being multiplied
> by what follows; for example, D is 1/2 times bh.)

> 1. Surface area of a sphere.

H. 4 for Erland, Marc, Joshua, Peter, Dan Blum, and Dan Tilque.

> 2. Area of a circle.

I. 4 for Erland, Marc, Joshua, Peter, Dan Blum, Dan Tilque, and Pete.

> 3. Volume of a sphere.

K. 4 for Erland, Marc, Joshua, Peter, Dan Blum, Dan Tilque, and Pete.

> 4. Volume of a cylinder.

E. 4 for Marc, Joshua, Peter, Dan Blum, Bruce, Dan Tilque, and Pete.

One entrant said R, which was not one of the possible answers.
Although it might very well have been a typo for E, I decided
I could not consider that.

> 5. Area of a triangle.

D. 4 for Erland, Marc, Joshua, Peter, Dan Blum, Bruce, Dan Tilque,
and Pete.

> 6. Surface area of a cylinder.

J. 4 for Erland, Marc, Joshua, Peter, Dan Blum, Bruce,
and Dan Tilque.

> 7. Volume of a cone.

F. 4 for Erland, Marc, Joshua, Peter, Dan Blum, Bruce, Dan Tilque,
and Pete.

> 8. Euler's identity.

L. 4 for Erland, Marc, Joshua, Peter, Dan Blum, Bruce, Dan Tilque,
and Pete.

(Yeah, not really a geometry questin.)

The others are:

A. Indefinite integral of the cosine function.
B. Circumference of a circle.
C. Identity relating sine and cosine (badly rendered; it should say
sin琊 + cos琊 = 1).
G. Surface area of a cone.

> For questions #9-10, see the diagram at the bottom of the handout.

> 9. Which line on the diagram (as usual, name it by its two
> endpoints) represents the sine of angle theta?

PQ. 4 for Joshua, Peter, Dan Blum, Bruce, and Dan Tilque.

As to the wrong answers, line OP is 1, as it says on the diagram;
OR is the secant of theta; and there is no line IY.

> 10. What trig function of angle theta does line PR represent?

Tangent. 4 for Erland, Marc, Joshua, Peter, and Dan Tilque.

> * Game 1, Round 6 - Sports - Ping-Pong

> Whether you call it ping-pong or table tennis, it is a sport that
> combines precision skills and blinding speeds when played at the
> highest levels.

This was the hardest round in the original game. Table tennis was
also a round category on "Jeopardy!" on 2018-02-19, including one
similar and one of the same questions.

> 1. What year was the game first played at the Olympics?

1988. 4 for Joshua.

> 2. The balls are usually one of two colors, in order to contrast
> with the table. White is one. What is the other?

Orange. 4 for Dan Blum. 3 for Pete.

> 3. Which well-known US board-games manufacturer purchased the
> rights to the name "Ping-Pong", and enforced the trademark on
> it during the 1920s?

Parker Brothers. 4 for Marc. 3 for Dan Blum and Dan Tilque.

> 4. Within 5 years, when was the International Table Tennis
> Federation (ITTF) founded?

1926 (accepting 1921-31). 2 for Joshua and Dan Blum.

> 5. Table tennis rackets are usually called paddles in North America.
> What are they usually called in Britain?

Bats. 4 for Marc, Peter, Dan Blum, and Bruce.

On "Jeopardy!" they asked almost exactly the same question for
$1,000, with the hint that the term is "familiar from cricket and
another sport". It was answered correctly on the first try.

> 6. There are two general styles of grip in table tennis.
> Both of their names refer to things commonly done with the hands.
> Name either grip.

Penhold (also accepting tennis; and I decided to accept "pencil"
also), shakehand (also accepting Western or standard). 4 for Marc,
Dan Blum, Bruce, and Pete.

On "Jeopardy!" for $800, they illustrated the Western or standard
grip and asked what greeting it resembled. This too was answered
correctly on the first try, by the same contestant.

> 7. The table tennis Grand Slam is earned by winning singles
> championships at the Olympic Games, World Championships, and
> World Cup. Jan-Ove Waldner was the first player to complete
> the Grand Slam. What country is he from?

Sweden. 4 for Erland. 2 for Peter and Dan Blum.

> 8. Ping-pong players would sometimes add a substance to their
> rackets to increase the speed and spin of the ball, but it was
> banned by the ITTF in 2009. Name the substance.

Speed glue. (When used to reattach the rubber to the racket body,
it temporarily provided greater elasticity.)

> 9. In the January 2018 ITTF men's world ranking list, the top 5
> ranked players are all from either China or -- what European
> nation?

Germany.

> 10. In the January 2018 ITTF women's world ranking list, the first
> two ranked players are from China and the third is from
> Singapore. What other Asian country are the next three ranked
> players from?

Japan. 4 for Erland. 2 for Bruce.

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAME 1 ROUNDS-> 2 3 4 6 TOTALS
TOPICS-> Can Art Sci Spo
Dan Blum 0 39 36 19 94
Joshua Kreitzer 4 35 40 6 85
Marc Dashevsky 0 19 36 12 67
Peter Smyth 0 16 40 6 62
Bruce Bowler 0 23 24 10 57
Dan Tilque 0 8 40 3 51
Erland Sommarskog -- -- 32 8 40
Pete Gayde -- -- 24 7 31
Jason Kreitzer -- -- 0 0 0

--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "It's easier to deal with 'opposite numbers'
m...@vex.net | when you know you cannot trust them." --Chess

Dan Blum

Feb 25, 2018, 11:19:27 AM2/25/18
Mark Brader <m...@vex.net> wrote:

> > 6. There are two general styles of grip in table tennis.
> > Both of their names refer to things commonly done with the hands.
> > Name either grip.

> Penhold (also accepting tennis; and I decided to accept "pencil"
> also), shakehand (also accepting Western or standard). 4 for Marc,
> Dan Blum, Bruce, and Pete.

> On "Jeopardy!" for $800, they illustrated the Western or standard
> grip and asked what greeting it resembled. This too was answered
> correctly on the first try, by the same contestant.

I answered "handshake," if it matters.

Mark Brader

Feb 25, 2018, 3:16:33 PM2/25/18
Dan Blum:
> I answered "handshake," if it matters.

I thought that was good enough to accept without comment.
--
Mark Brader | "If you need features not found in any language,
Toronto | you can try your hand at creating your own.