QFTCIMM16 Game 2, Rounds 7-8: boycotts and alcohol

Mark Brader

Dec 14, 2016, 1:27:40 AM12/14/16
These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2016-09-26,
and should be interpreted accordingly.

Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
the correct answers in about 3 days.

All questions were written by members of the Misplaced Modifiers
and are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may
have been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information
see my 2016-11-26 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

* Game 2, Round 7 - History - Oh Boycotts!

1. When is "International Buy Nothing Day" in the US and Canada?
Be sufficiently specific.

2. In which play by Aristophanes do the women withhold sex with
their men until they negotiate a peace with the Spartans?

3. The US Gymnastics Federation International Invitational,
and the Liberty Bell Classic, were both organized in protest
as alternatives to what? Be sufficiently specific.

4. Within 1 year, when was Rosa Parks arrested, leading to a bus
boycott among the black residents of Montgomery?

5. In 1977, this company became the target of an international
boycott for promoting its baby formula as preferable to breast
milk. Which company?

6. As the head of the National Farm Workers Association, his name
was inextricably linked to the late 1960s boycott on California
grapes and the fight for better wages and conditions for farm
workers. Who was he?

7. Who called for a boycott of the "Teletubbies" on the grounds
that Tinky-Winky was gay?

8. In 1985, Artists United Against Apartheid, a cooperation of
over 40 top pop musicians of the time, all swore that they
"ain't gonna play" *what*?

9. The BDS movement works to end support for supposedly oppressive
Israeli tactics. What do the initials stand for?

10. American colonists boycotted British goods in response to a
tax introduced in 1765: all legal documents, newspapers and other
products had to use special paper to show that an additional
tax had been paid. What was the name of the act that introduced
this tax?

* Game 2, Round 8 - Science - Alcohol by Volume, or How Drunk Am I Getting?

We name a drink available at the LCBO; you simply give the
percentage of alcohol by volume, as stated on the bottle.
Each answer will be one of the following:

3%, 4%, 5%, 7%, 8%, 11%, 13%, 18%, 28%, 40%, 48%

But note that *answers may repeat*.

1. Grand Marnier Cordon Rouge liqueur.
2. Mike's Hard Lemonade.
3. Luxardo Amaretto di Saschira.
4. Laphroaig Quarter Cask Single Malt Scotch.
5. Martini Dry Vermouth.
6. Wolf Blass Yellow Label Sauvignon Blanc.
7. Bottega Vino dei Poeti Prosecco.
8. Stolichnaya Vodka.
9. Gabbiano Chianti Classico.
10. Heineken Lager Beer.

--
Mark Brader Summary of issue: Fix FORTRAN-8x.
Toronto Committee Response: This proposal contains

Dan Tilque

Dec 14, 2016, 2:02:27 AM12/14/16
Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 2, Round 7 - History - Oh Boycotts!
>
> 1. When is "International Buy Nothing Day" in the US and Canada?
> Be sufficiently specific.
>
> 2. In which play by Aristophanes do the women withhold sex with
> their men until they negotiate a peace with the Spartans?

Lysistrata

> 3. The US Gymnastics Federation International Invitational,
> and the Liberty Bell Classic, were both organized in protest
> as alternatives to what? Be sufficiently specific.

2008 Beijing Olympics

> 4. Within 1 year, when was Rosa Parks arrested, leading to a bus
> boycott among the black residents of Montgomery?

1954

> 5. In 1977, this company became the target of an international
> boycott for promoting its baby formula as preferable to breast
> milk. Which company?

Nestlé

> 6. As the head of the National Farm Workers Association, his name
> was inextricably linked to the late 1960s boycott on California
> grapes and the fight for better wages and conditions for farm
> workers. Who was he?

Cesar Chavez

> 7. Who called for a boycott of the "Teletubbies" on the grounds
> that Tinky-Winky was gay?

Falwell

> 8. In 1985, Artists United Against Apartheid, a cooperation of
> over 40 top pop musicians of the time, all swore that they
> "ain't gonna play" *what*?

vuvuzelas

> 9. The BDS movement works to end support for supposedly oppressive
> Israeli tactics. What do the initials stand for?
>
> 10. American colonists boycotted British goods in response to a
> tax introduced in 1765: all legal documents, newspapers and other
> products had to use special paper to show that an additional
> tax had been paid. What was the name of the act that introduced
> this tax?

Stamp Act

> * Game 2, Round 8 - Science - Alcohol by Volume, or How Drunk Am I Getting?
>
> We name a drink available at the LCBO; you simply give the
> percentage of alcohol by volume, as stated on the bottle.
> Each answer will be one of the following:
>
> 3%, 4%, 5%, 7%, 8%, 11%, 13%, 18%, 28%, 40%, 48%
>
> But note that *answers may repeat*.
>
> 1. Grand Marnier Cordon Rouge liqueur.

28%

> 2. Mike's Hard Lemonade.

8%

> 3. Luxardo Amaretto di Saschira.

18%

> 4. Laphroaig Quarter Cask Single Malt Scotch.

48%

> 5. Martini Dry Vermouth.

40%

> 6. Wolf Blass Yellow Label Sauvignon Blanc.

11%

> 7. Bottega Vino dei Poeti Prosecco.

13%

> 8. Stolichnaya Vodka.

40%

> 9. Gabbiano Chianti Classico.

11%

> 10. Heineken Lager Beer.

4%

--
Dan Tilque

Peter Smyth

Dec 14, 2016, 4:02:02 AM12/14/16
Mark Brader wrote:

> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2016-09-26,

> Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
> the correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of the Misplaced Modifiers
> and are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may
> have been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information
> see my 2016-11-26 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>

> * Game 2, Round 7 - History - Oh Boycotts!
>
> 1. When is "International Buy Nothing Day" in the US and Canada?
> Be sufficiently specific.
December 25th
> 2. In which play by Aristophanes do the women withhold sex with
> their men until they negotiate a peace with the Spartans?
>
> 3. The US Gymnastics Federation International Invitational,
> and the Liberty Bell Classic, were both organized in protest
> as alternatives to what? Be sufficiently specific.
1980 Moscow Olympics
> 4. Within 1 year, when was Rosa Parks arrested, leading to a bus
> boycott among the black residents of Montgomery?
1963
> 5. In 1977, this company became the target of an international
> boycott for promoting its baby formula as preferable to breast
> milk. Which company?
Nestle
> 6. As the head of the National Farm Workers Association, his name
> was inextricably linked to the late 1960s boycott on California
> grapes and the fight for better wages and conditions for farm
> workers. Who was he?
>
> 7. Who called for a boycott of the "Teletubbies" on the grounds
> that Tinky-Winky was gay?
Jerry Falwell
> 8. In 1985, Artists United Against Apartheid, a cooperation of
> over 40 top pop musicians of the time, all swore that they
> "ain't gonna play" what?
Sun City
> 9. The BDS movement works to end support for supposedly oppressive
> Israeli tactics. What do the initials stand for?
>
> 10. American colonists boycotted British goods in response to a
> tax introduced in 1765: all legal documents, newspapers and other
> products had to use special paper to show that an additional
> tax had been paid. What was the name of the act that introduced
> this tax?

Peter Smyth

Dan Blum

Dec 14, 2016, 9:42:10 AM12/14/16
Mark Brader <m...@vex.net> wrote:

> * Game 2, Round 7 - History - Oh Boycotts!

> 2. In which play by Aristophanes do the women withhold sex with
> their men until they negotiate a peace with the Spartans?

Lysistrata

> 3. The US Gymnastics Federation International Invitational,
> and the Liberty Bell Classic, were both organized in protest
> as alternatives to what? Be sufficiently specific.

the American boycott of the 1980 Summer Olympics

> 4. Within 1 year, when was Rosa Parks arrested, leading to a bus
> boycott among the black residents of Montgomery?

1956

> 5. In 1977, this company became the target of an international
> boycott for promoting its baby formula as preferable to breast
> milk. Which company?

Nestle

> 6. As the head of the National Farm Workers Association, his name
> was inextricably linked to the late 1960s boycott on California
> grapes and the fight for better wages and conditions for farm
> workers. Who was he?

Cesar Chavez

> 7. Who called for a boycott of the "Teletubbies" on the grounds
> that Tinky-Winky was gay?

Jerry Falwell

> 10. American colonists boycotted British goods in response to a
> tax introduced in 1765: all legal documents, newspapers and other
> products had to use special paper to show that an additional
> tax had been paid. What was the name of the act that introduced
> this tax?

Stamp Act

> * Game 2, Round 8 - Science - Alcohol by Volume, or How Drunk Am I Getting?

> 1. Grand Marnier Cordon Rouge liqueur.

18%; 28%

> 2. Mike's Hard Lemonade.

7%; 8%

> 3. Luxardo Amaretto di Saschira.

11%; 13%

> 4. Laphroaig Quarter Cask Single Malt Scotch.

40%; 48%

> 5. Martini Dry Vermouth.

8%; 11%

> 6. Wolf Blass Yellow Label Sauvignon Blanc.

11%; 13%

> 7. Bottega Vino dei Poeti Prosecco.

18%; 28%

> 8. Stolichnaya Vodka.

48%; 40%

> 9. Gabbiano Chianti Classico.

13%; 11%

> 10. Heineken Lager Beer.

4%; 5%

Dan Blum to...@panix.com

Erland Sommarskog

Dec 14, 2016, 3:03:06 PM12/14/16
Mark Brader (m...@vex.net) writes:
> 2. In which play by Aristophanes do the women withhold sex with
> their men until they negotiate a peace with the Spartans?

Lysistrate

> 4. Within 1 year, when was Rosa Parks arrested, leading to a bus
> boycott among the black residents of Montgomery?

1955

> 5. In 1977, this company became the target of an international
> boycott for promoting its baby formula as preferable to breast
> milk. Which company?

Nestle

> 7. Who called for a boycott of the "Teletubbies" on the grounds
> that Tinky-Winky was gay?

Pat Robinson

> * Game 2, Round 8 - Science - Alcohol by Volume, or How Drunk Am I
> Getting?
>

> 1. Grand Marnier Cordon Rouge liqueur.

28%

> 2. Mike's Hard Lemonade.

3%

> 3. Luxardo Amaretto di Saschira.

28%

> 4. Laphroaig Quarter Cask Single Malt Scotch.

40%

> 5. Martini Dry Vermouth.

18%

> 6. Wolf Blass Yellow Label Sauvignon Blanc.

8%

> 7. Bottega Vino dei Poeti Prosecco.

13%

> 8. Stolichnaya Vodka.

40%

> 9. Gabbiano Chianti Classico.

11%

> 10. Heineken Lager Beer.

5%

Gareth Owen

Dec 14, 2016, 3:18:12 PM12/14/16
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) writes:

> 1. When is "International Buy Nothing Day" in the US and Canada?
> Be sufficiently specific.

The day after Thanksgiving

> 2. In which play by Aristophanes do the women withhold sex with
> their men until they negotiate a peace with the Spartans?

Lysistrata

> 3. The US Gymnastics Federation International Invitational,
> and the Liberty Bell Classic, were both organized in protest
> as alternatives to what? Be sufficiently specific.

The Moscow 1980 Olympics

> 4. Within 1 year, when was Rosa Parks arrested, leading to a bus
> boycott among the black residents of Montgomery?

1955

> 5. In 1977, this company became the target of an international
> boycott for promoting its baby formula as preferable to breast
> milk. Which company?

Nestlé

> 6. As the head of the National Farm Workers Association, his name
> was inextricably linked to the late 1960s boycott on California
> grapes and the fight for better wages and conditions for farm
> workers. Who was he?

Cesar Chavez

> 7. Who called for a boycott of the "Teletubbies" on the grounds
> that Tinky-Winky was gay?

"Tinky Winky must be gay,
I heard Jerry Fallwell say.
He is purple, and what's worse,
Tinky Winky has a purse.
The triangle on his head,
Is a symbol, Jerry said,
But to me, its just a sign,
That Jerry has too much free time".
-- "Tinky-Winky", Tom Paxton

> 8. In 1985, Artists United Against Apartheid, a cooperation of
> over 40 top pop musicians of the time, all swore that they
> "ain't gonna play" *what*?

Sun City

> 9. The BDS movement works to end support for supposedly oppressive
> Israeli tactics. What do the initials stand for?

Boycott of Defiant Solidarity

> 10. American colonists boycotted British goods in response to a
> tax introduced in 1765: all legal documents, newspapers and other
> products had to use special paper to show that an additional
> tax had been paid. What was the name of the act that introduced
> this tax?

Stamp Act

> * Game 2, Round 8 - Science - Alcohol by Volume, or How Drunk Am I Getting?
>
> We name a drink available at the LCBO; you simply give the
> percentage of alcohol by volume, as stated on the bottle.
> Each answer will be one of the following:
>
> 3%, 4%, 5%, 7%, 8%, 11%, 13%, 18%, 28%, 40%, 48%
>
> But note that *answers may repeat*.
>
> 1. Grand Marnier Cordon Rouge liqueur.

18%, 28%

> 2. Mike's Hard Lemonade.

5%, 7%

> 3. Luxardo Amaretto di Saschira.

28%, 18%

> 4. Laphroaig Quarter Cask Single Malt Scotch.

40%

> 5. Martini Dry Vermouth.

18%, 28%

> 6. Wolf Blass Yellow Label Sauvignon Blanc.

13%, 11%

> 7. Bottega Vino dei Poeti Prosecco.

13%, 11%

> 8. Stolichnaya Vodka.

40%, 48%

> 9. Gabbiano Chianti Classico.

11%, 13%

> 10. Heineken Lager Beer.

5% - I suspect they brew it at other strengths for export markets

Marc Dashevsky

Dec 15, 2016, 2:05:32 AM12/15/16
In article <eKKdnfS-CbDKe83F...@giganews.com>, m...@vex.net says...
> * Game 2, Round 7 - History - Oh Boycotts!
>
> 1. When is "International Buy Nothing Day" in the US and Canada?
> Be sufficiently specific.
>
> 2. In which play by Aristophanes do the women withhold sex with
> their men until they negotiate a peace with the Spartans?
>
> 3. The US Gymnastics Federation International Invitational,
> and the Liberty Bell Classic, were both organized in protest
> as alternatives to what? Be sufficiently specific.
>
> 4. Within 1 year, when was Rosa Parks arrested, leading to a bus
> boycott among the black residents of Montgomery?
1955

> 5. In 1977, this company became the target of an international
> boycott for promoting its baby formula as preferable to breast
> milk. Which company?
Nestle

> 6. As the head of the National Farm Workers Association, his name
> was inextricably linked to the late 1960s boycott on California
> grapes and the fight for better wages and conditions for farm
> workers. Who was he?
Cesar Chavez

> 7. Who called for a boycott of the "Teletubbies" on the grounds
> that Tinky-Winky was gay?
Jerry Falwell

> 8. In 1985, Artists United Against Apartheid, a cooperation of
> over 40 top pop musicians of the time, all swore that they
> "ain't gonna play" *what*?
>
> 9. The BDS movement works to end support for supposedly oppressive
> Israeli tactics. What do the initials stand for?
Boycott, Divestment and Sanctions

> 10. American colonists boycotted British goods in response to a
> tax introduced in 1765: all legal documents, newspapers and other
> products had to use special paper to show that an additional
> tax had been paid. What was the name of the act that introduced
> this tax?
The Stamp Act

> * Game 2, Round 8 - Science - Alcohol by Volume, or How Drunk Am I Getting?
>
> We name a drink available at the LCBO; you simply give the
> percentage of alcohol by volume, as stated on the bottle.
> Each answer will be one of the following:
>
> 3%, 4%, 5%, 7%, 8%, 11%, 13%, 18%, 28%, 40%, 48%
>
> But note that *answers may repeat*.
>
> 1. Grand Marnier Cordon Rouge liqueur.
28

8

> 3. Luxardo Amaretto di Saschira.
28

> 4. Laphroaig Quarter Cask Single Malt Scotch.
40

> 5. Martini Dry Vermouth.
11

> 6. Wolf Blass Yellow Label Sauvignon Blanc.
13

> 7. Bottega Vino dei Poeti Prosecco.
11

> 8. Stolichnaya Vodka.
48

> 9. Gabbiano Chianti Classico.
13

> 10. Heineken Lager Beer.
5

Joshua Kreitzer

Dec 15, 2016, 2:36:36 AM12/15/16
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in

> * Game 2, Round 7 - History - Oh Boycotts!
>
> 1. When is "International Buy Nothing Day" in the US and Canada?
> Be sufficiently specific.

the day after (U.S.) Thanksgiving

> 2. In which play by Aristophanes do the women withhold sex with
> their men until they negotiate a peace with the Spartans?

"Lysistrata"

> 3. The US Gymnastics Federation International Invitational,
> and the Liberty Bell Classic, were both organized in protest
> as alternatives to what? Be sufficiently specific.

1980 Summer Olympics

> 4. Within 1 year, when was Rosa Parks arrested, leading to a bus
> boycott among the black residents of Montgomery?

1954

> 5. In 1977, this company became the target of an international
> boycott for promoting its baby formula as preferable to breast
> milk. Which company?

Nestle

> 6. As the head of the National Farm Workers Association, his name
> was inextricably linked to the late 1960s boycott on California
> grapes and the fight for better wages and conditions for farm
> workers. Who was he?

Cesar Chavez

> 7. Who called for a boycott of the "Teletubbies" on the grounds
> that Tinky-Winky was gay?

Donald Wildmon

> 8. In 1985, Artists United Against Apartheid, a cooperation of
> over 40 top pop musicians of the time, all swore that they
> "ain't gonna play" *what*?

Sun City

> 9. The BDS movement works to end support for supposedly oppressive
> Israeli tactics. What do the initials stand for?

boycott, divest, sanction

> 10. American colonists boycotted British goods in response to a
> tax introduced in 1765: all legal documents, newspapers and other
> products had to use special paper to show that an additional
> tax had been paid. What was the name of the act that introduced
> this tax?

Stamp Act

> * Game 2, Round 8 - Science - Alcohol by Volume, or How Drunk Am I
> Getting?
>
> We name a drink available at the LCBO; you simply give the
> percentage of alcohol by volume, as stated on the bottle.
> Each answer will be one of the following:
>
> 3%, 4%, 5%, 7%, 8%, 11%, 13%, 18%, 28%, 40%, 48%
>
> But note that *answers may repeat*.
>
> 1. Grand Marnier Cordon Rouge liqueur.

18%; 28%

> 2. Mike's Hard Lemonade.

4%; 5%

> 3. Luxardo Amaretto di Saschira.

18%; 28%

> 4. Laphroaig Quarter Cask Single Malt Scotch.

40%; 48%

> 5. Martini Dry Vermouth.

13%; 18%

> 6. Wolf Blass Yellow Label Sauvignon Blanc.

11%; 13%

> 7. Bottega Vino dei Poeti Prosecco.

11%; 8%

> 8. Stolichnaya Vodka.

40%; 28%

> 9. Gabbiano Chianti Classico.

11%; 13%

> 10. Heineken Lager Beer.

5%; 7%

--
Joshua Kreitzer
grom...@hotmail.com

Pete

Dec 15, 2016, 5:13:05 PM12/15/16
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2016-09-26,

> Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
> the correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of the Misplaced Modifiers
> and are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may
> have been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information
> see my 2016-11-26 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>

> * Game 2, Round 7 - History - Oh Boycotts!
>
> 1. When is "International Buy Nothing Day" in the US and Canada?
> Be sufficiently specific.

Black Friday (day after Thanksgiving in the U.S.)

> 2. In which play by Aristophanes do the women withhold sex with
> their men until they negotiate a peace with the Spartans?
>
> 3. The US Gymnastics Federation International Invitational,
> and the Liberty Bell Classic, were both organized in protest
> as alternatives to what? Be sufficiently specific.

1980 Moscow Olympics boycott

> 4. Within 1 year, when was Rosa Parks arrested, leading to a bus
> boycott among the black residents of Montgomery?

1956

> 5. In 1977, this company became the target of an international
> boycott for promoting its baby formula as preferable to breast
> milk. Which company?

Nestle

> 6. As the head of the National Farm Workers Association, his name
> was inextricably linked to the late 1960s boycott on California
> grapes and the fight for better wages and conditions for farm
> workers. Who was he?

Chavez

> 7. Who called for a boycott of the "Teletubbies" on the grounds
> that Tinky-Winky was gay?

Jerry Falwell

> 8. In 1985, Artists United Against Apartheid, a cooperation of
> over 40 top pop musicians of the time, all swore that they
> "ain't gonna play" *what*?

The South African national anthem

> 9. The BDS movement works to end support for supposedly oppressive
> Israeli tactics. What do the initials stand for?

Boycott, Defund, Sanction

> 10. American colonists boycotted British goods in response to a
> tax introduced in 1765: all legal documents, newspapers and other
> products had to use special paper to show that an additional
> tax had been paid. What was the name of the act that introduced
> this tax?

Stamp Act

> * Game 2, Round 8 - Science - Alcohol by Volume, or How Drunk Am I
> Getting?
>
> We name a drink available at the LCBO; you simply give the
> percentage of alcohol by volume, as stated on the bottle.
> Each answer will be one of the following:
>
> 3%, 4%, 5%, 7%, 8%, 11%, 13%, 18%, 28%, 40%, 48%
>
> But note that *answers may repeat*.
>
> 1. Grand Marnier Cordon Rouge liqueur.

11%; 13%

> 2. Mike's Hard Lemonade.

3%

> 3. Luxardo Amaretto di Saschira.

11%; 13%

> 4. Laphroaig Quarter Cask Single Malt Scotch.

48%; 40%

> 5. Martini Dry Vermouth.

28%

> 6. Wolf Blass Yellow Label Sauvignon Blanc.

5%

> 7. Bottega Vino dei Poeti Prosecco.

7%; 8%

> 8. Stolichnaya Vodka.

40%; 48%

> 9. Gabbiano Chianti Classico.

8%; 7%

> 10. Heineken Lager Beer.

4%

Pete Gayde

Mark Brader

Dec 17, 2016, 12:11:42 AM12/17/16
Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2016-09-26,
> see my 2016-11-26 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

> * Game 2, Round 7 - History - Oh Boycotts!

> 1. When is "International Buy Nothing Day" in the US and Canada?
> Be sufficiently specific.

The day after US Thanksgiving. 4 for Gareth, Joshua, and Pete.

> 2. In which play by Aristophanes do the women withhold sex with
> their men until they negotiate a peace with the Spartans?

"Lysistrata". 4 for Dan Tilque, Dan Blum, Erland, Gareth, and Joshua.

(Yes, a literature question in a history round.)

> 3. The US Gymnastics Federation International Invitational,
> and the Liberty Bell Classic, were both organized in protest
> as alternatives to what? Be sufficiently specific.

The 1980 Olympics in Moscow. 4 for Peter, Gareth, and Joshua.

I did not accept "the boycott of the 1980 Moscow Olympics", as this
is essentially the opposite of the correct answer.

> 4. Within 1 year, when was Rosa Parks arrested, leading to a bus
> boycott among the black residents of Montgomery?

1955 (accepting 1954-1956). 4 for Dan Tilque, Dan Blum, Erland,
Gareth, Marc, Joshua, and Pete.

> 5. In 1977, this company became the target of an international
> boycott for promoting its baby formula as preferable to breast
> milk. Which company?

Nestlé. 4 for everyone -- Dan Tilque, Peter, Dan Blum, Erland,
Gareth, Marc, Joshua, and Pete.

> 6. As the head of the National Farm Workers Association, his name
> was inextricably linked to the late 1960s boycott on California
> grapes and the fight for better wages and conditions for farm
> workers. Who was he?

Cesar Chavez. 4 for Dan Tilque, Dan Blum, Gareth, Marc, Joshua,
and Pete.

> 7. Who called for a boycott of the "Teletubbies" on the grounds
> that Tinky-Winky was gay?

Jerry Fallwell. 4 for Dan Tilque, Peter, Dan Blum, Gareth, Marc,
and Pete.

> 8. In 1985, Artists United Against Apartheid, a cooperation of
> over 40 top pop musicians of the time, all swore that they
> "ain't gonna play" *what*?

Sun City. (A major resort casino in South Africa.) 4 for Peter,
Gareth, and Joshua.

> 9. The BDS movement works to end support for supposedly oppressive
> Israeli tactics. What do the initials stand for?

Boycott, divestment, sanctions. All three words were required.
4 for Marc and Joshua.

> 10. American colonists boycotted British goods in response to a
> tax introduced in 1765: all legal documents, newspapers and other
> products had to use special paper to show that an additional
> tax had been paid. What was the name of the act that introduced
> this tax?

Stamp Act. 4 for Dan Tilque, Dan Blum, Gareth, Marc, Joshua,
and Pete.

> * Game 2, Round 8 - Science - Alcohol by Volume, or How Drunk Am I Getting?

> We name a drink available at the LCBO; you simply give the
> percentage of alcohol by volume, as stated on the bottle.
> Each answer will be one of the following:

> 3%, 4%, 5%, 7%, 8%, 11%, 13%, 18%, 28%, 40%, 48%

> But note that *answers may repeat*.

> 1. Grand Marnier Cordon Rouge liqueur.

40%.

> 2. Mike's Hard Lemonade.

5%. 3 for Gareth. 2 for Joshua.

> 3. Luxardo Amaretto di Saschira.

28%. 4 for Erland and Marc. 3 for Gareth. 2 for Joshua.

> 4. Laphroaig Quarter Cask Single Malt Scotch.

48%. 4 for Dan Tilque. 3 for Pete. 2 for Dan Blum and Joshua.

> 5. Martini Dry Vermouth.

18%. 4 for Erland. 3 for Gareth. 2 for Joshua.

> 6. Wolf Blass Yellow Label Sauvignon Blanc.

13%. 4 for Marc. 3 for Gareth. 2 for Dan Blum and Joshua.

> 7. Bottega Vino dei Poeti Prosecco.

11%. 4 for Marc. 3 for Joshua. 2 for Gareth.

> 8. Stolichnaya Vodka.

40%. 4 for Dan Tilque and Erland. 3 for Gareth, Joshua, and Pete.
2 for Dan Blum.

> 9. Gabbiano Chianti Classico.

13%. 4 for Marc. 3 for Dan Blum. 2 for Gareth and Joshua.

> 10. Heineken Lager Beer.

5%. 4 for Erland, Gareth, and Marc. 3 for Joshua. 2 for Dan Blum.

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAME 2 ROUNDS-> 2 3 4 6 7 8 BEST
TOPICS-> Geo Spo Lit Can His Sci FOUR
Joshua Kreitzer 35 28 28 0 36 21 127
Gareth Owen 28 27 32 0 36 23 123
Dan Blum 28 21 34 0 24 11 107
Dan Tilque 32 16 20 4 24 8 92
Marc Dashevsky 19 24 8 0 24 20 87
Pete Gayde 18 28 12 3 24 6 82
Peter Smyth 24 16 12 0 16 0 68
Erland Sommarskog 31 8 8 0 12 16 67
"Calvin" 23 24 -- -- -- -- 47
Bruce Bowler 12 20 -- -- -- -- 32

--
Mark Brader, Toronto "Neither a follower nor a leader be."
m...@vex.net --Steve Summit (after Shakespeare)

Erland Sommarskog

Dec 17, 2016, 5:18:56 AM12/17/16
Mark Brader (m...@vex.net) writes:
>> 8. Stolichnaya Vodka.
>
> 40%. 4 for Dan Tilque and Erland. 3 for Gareth, Joshua, and Pete.
> 2 for Dan Blum.

This was a round was mainly a matter of making intelligent guesses for
me (and I suspect for other entrants). However, this was the one I
knew the answer of. To wit, I recalled a joke that I learnt in the
seventies.

The story is that the last tsar and Leonid Brezhniev meet in hell, and
Nilokai II interrogates Brezhiev how things are in Mother Russia in
these days (i.e. the 1970s). "Are people still oppressed?". "Yes", says
Brezhiev. And the tsar goes on asking questions of all sorts of bad
things from his days. I've forgotten the exact questions, but for each
and everyone Brezhievs answers in the affirmative. Until the tsar comes
to the last question: "And the vodka is still at 38%?". "No", says
Brezhiev, "it's 40% these days". This causes the tsar to exclaim "Was
it really necessary to make a revolution for the sake of 2%?"