Rotating Quiz 133

Mark Brader

Feb 21, 2014, 3:57:15 AM2/21/14
This is Rotating Quiz #133. Entries must be posted by Wednesday,
February 26, 2014 (by Toronto time, zone -5); that gives you
5 days and about 20 hours from the moment of posting.

Please answer based only on your own knowledge and, of course,
do not discuss the questions in the newsgroup before answering.

Please post your answers to all questions in a single followup in
the newsgroup, quoting the questions and placing your answer below
each one. This is not QFTCI -- you're only allowed one attempt
per question.

In case of a tie, the first tiebreaker is whether answers are given
in the correct manner; the second tiebreaker is who got their points on
the hardest questions; and the third tiebreaker is who posted first.

1. In "Murder on the Orient Express", Natalia Dragomiroff's handkerchief
is wrongly believed to have what on it?

5. Name the computer programming language, invented by Ken Thompson,
that introduced the world to notations like

while (*++p == *++q) putchar(*p);

Dennis Ritchie extended it to form another language that became
very widely used after UNIX was reimplemented in it, but you must
name the earlier language invented by Thompson.

6. This novel by Tom McCarthy was shortlisted for the Booker
Prize. One reviewer described it as "a rigorous inquiry
into the meaning of meaning: our need to find it in the world
around us and communicate it to one another; our methods for
doing so; the hubs and networks and skeins of interaction that
result"; plot elements include deafness and military radios.
Give the title.

7. René Blondlot's supposed discovery of these rays apparently
started as a self-delusion and his assistant may have helped
cover up the error. Robert W. Wood exposed the nonexistence
of the rays by visiting Blondlot's lab and secretly moving
things around. Blondlot called them *what* rays?

8. The story of what character, credited to the pseudonym
"Pauline Réage" and filmed in 1975 starring Corinne Cléry,
revolves around sex and sadomasochism?

9. A violin's body contains "sound holes" connecting the air
inside and outside of it. They are also known as what holes?

15. What frequently used to start by moving to K4, before it
was e4?

16. What was US President Truman's middle name?

19. In baseball, what is the traditional abbreviation for
a strikeout?

23. Hugo Weaving played what title character in a movie adapted
from a graphic novel?

39. Which chromosome is the only one in human cells that is
normally smaller than the one it pairs with?

53. What is the exact English translation of the Latin word
"ego"?

74. Name the movie where Josh Brolin played the then current
US president.

92. What Burmese word with a meaning similar to "Mr." became
known to more English-speakers when the UN named a new
secretary-general in 1961?

114. Explain the numbering of the questions, including this one.

--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "Could you guys please stop agreeing?
m...@vex.net | It's wearing me out." --Bob Lieblich

Dan Tilque

Feb 21, 2014, 4:56:52 AM2/21/14
Mark Brader wrote:

> 1. In "Murder on the Orient Express", Natalia Dragomiroff's handkerchief
> is wrongly believed to have what on it?

> 5. Name the computer programming language, invented by Ken Thompson,
> that introduced the world to notations like
>
> while (*++p == *++q) putchar(*p);
>
> Dennis Ritchie extended it to form another language that became
> very widely used after UNIX was reimplemented in it, but you must
> name the earlier language invented by Thompson.

> 6. This novel by Tom McCarthy was shortlisted for the Booker
> Prize. One reviewer described it as "a rigorous inquiry
> into the meaning of meaning: our need to find it in the world
> around us and communicate it to one another; our methods for
> doing so; the hubs and networks and skeins of interaction that
> result"; plot elements include deafness and military radios.
> Give the title.

> 7. René Blondlot's supposed discovery of these rays apparently
> started as a self-delusion and his assistant may have helped
> cover up the error. Robert W. Wood exposed the nonexistence
> of the rays by visiting Blondlot's lab and secretly moving
> things around. Blondlot called them *what* rays?

> 8. The story of what character, credited to the pseudonym
> "Pauline Réage" and filmed in 1975 starring Corinne Cléry,
> revolves around sex and sadomasochism?

> 9. A violin's body contains "sound holes" connecting the air
> inside and outside of it. They are also known as what holes?

> 15. What frequently used to start by moving to K4, before it
> was e4?

> 16. What was US President Truman's middle name?

> 19. In baseball, what is the traditional abbreviation for
> a strikeout?

> 23. Hugo Weaving played what title character in a movie adapted
> from a graphic novel?

> 39. Which chromosome is the only one in human cells that is
> normally smaller than the one it pairs with?

> 53. What is the exact English translation of the Latin word
> "ego"?

> 74. Name the movie where Josh Brolin played the then current
> US president.

> 92. What Burmese word with a meaning similar to "Mr." became
> known to more English-speakers when the UN named a new
> secretary-general in 1961?

> 114. Explain the numbering of the questions, including this one.

Elementary, my dear Watson. Atomic numbers of single letter chemical
symbols which are, of course, the answers. Not sure why you chose 114
for this since it's not the highest atomic number, nor even the highest
with a permanent name.

--
Dan Tilque

Erland Sommarskog

Feb 21, 2014, 5:15:52 AM2/21/14
Mark Brader (m...@vex.net) writes:
> 1. In "Murder on the Orient Express", Natalia Dragomiroff's handkerchief
> is wrongly believed to have what on it?

> 5. Name the computer programming language, invented by Ken Thompson,
> that introduced the world to notations like
>
> while (*++p == *++q) putchar(*p);
>
> Dennis Ritchie extended it to form another language that became
> very widely used after UNIX was reimplemented in it, but you must
> name the earlier language invented by Thompson.

> 6. This novel by Tom McCarthy was shortlisted for the Booker
> Prize. One reviewer described it as "a rigorous inquiry
> into the meaning of meaning: our need to find it in the world
> around us and communicate it to one another; our methods for
> doing so; the hubs and networks and skeins of interaction that
> result"; plot elements include deafness and military radios.
> Give the title.

> 7. René Blondlot's supposed discovery of these rays apparently
> started as a self-delusion and his assistant may have helped
> cover up the error. Robert W. Wood exposed the nonexistence
> of the rays by visiting Blondlot's lab and secretly moving
> things around. Blondlot called them *what* rays?

> 8. The story of what character, credited to the pseudonym
> "Pauline Réage" and filmed in 1975 starring Corinne Cléry,
> revolves around sex and sadomasochism?

> 9. A violin's body contains "sound holes" connecting the air
> inside and outside of it. They are also known as what holes?

> 15. What frequently used to start by moving to K4, before it
> was e4?

> 16. What was US President Truman's middle name?

> 19. In baseball, what is the traditional abbreviation for
> a strikeout?

> 23. Hugo Weaving played what title character in a movie adapted
> from a graphic novel?

> 39. Which chromosome is the only one in human cells that is
> normally smaller than the one it pairs with?

> 53. What is the exact English translation of the Latin word
> "ego"?

> 74. Name the movie where Josh Brolin played the then current
> US president.

> 92. What Burmese word with a meaning similar to "Mr." became
> known to more English-speakers when the UN named a new
> secretary-general in 1961?

> 114. Explain the numbering of the questions, including this one.

Periodic system. 114 is the highest number that has been produced
and verified. You used the elements that has one-letter symbols.

swp

Feb 21, 2014, 10:24:35 AM2/21/14
On Friday, February 21, 2014 3:57:15 AM UTC-5, Mark Brader wrote:
> This is Rotating Quiz #133. Entries must be posted by Wednesday,
> February 26, 2014 (by Toronto time, zone -5); that gives you
> 5 days and about 20 hours from the moment of posting.
>
> Please answer based only on your own knowledge and, of course,
> do not discuss the questions in the newsgroup before answering.
>
> Please post your answers to all questions in a single followup in
> the newsgroup, quoting the questions and placing your answer below
> each one. This is not QFTCI -- you're only allowed one attempt
> per question.
>
> In case of a tie, the first tiebreaker is whether answers are given
> in the correct manner; the second tiebreaker is who got their points on
> the hardest questions; and the third tiebreaker is who posted first.
>
> 1. In "Murder on the Orient Express", Natalia Dragomiroff's handkerchief
> is wrongly believed to have what on it?

> 5. Name the computer programming language, invented by Ken Thompson,
> that introduced the world to notations like
> while (*++p == *++q) putchar(*p);
> Dennis Ritchie extended it to form another language that became
> very widely used after UNIX was reimplemented in it, but you must
> name the earlier language invented by Thompson.

> 6. This novel by Tom McCarthy was shortlisted for the Booker
> Prize. One reviewer described it as "a rigorous inquiry
> into the meaning of meaning: our need to find it in the world
> around us and communicate it to one another; our methods for
> doing so; the hubs and networks and skeins of interaction that
> result"; plot elements include deafness and military radios.
> Give the title.

> 7. René Blondlot's supposed discovery of these rays apparently
> started as a self-delusion and his assistant may have helped
> cover up the error. Robert W. Wood exposed the nonexistence
> of the rays by visiting Blondlot's lab and secretly moving
> things around. Blondlot called them *what* rays?

> 8. The story of what character, credited to the pseudonym
> "Pauline Réage" and filmed in 1975 starring Corinne Cléry,
> revolves around sex and sadomasochism?

> 9. A violin's body contains "sound holes" connecting the air
> inside and outside of it. They are also known as what holes?

F (-holes)

> 15. What frequently used to start by moving to K4, before it
> was e4?

> 16. What was US President Truman's middle name?

S (irish tradition, after both grandfathers)

> 19. In baseball, what is the traditional abbreviation for
> a strikeout?

> 23. Hugo Weaving played what title character in a movie adapted
> from a graphic novel?

V (for vendetta) (he was also agent smith in the matrix and elrond in the lord of the rings trilogy)

> 39. Which chromosome is the only one in human cells that is
> normally smaller than the one it pairs with?

> 53. What is the exact English translation of the Latin word
> "ego"?

> 74. Name the movie where Josh Brolin played the then current
> US president.

W.

> 92. What Burmese word with a meaning similar to "Mr." became
> known to more English-speakers when the UN named a new
> secretary-general in 1961?

> 114. Explain the numbering of the questions, including this one.

atomic number of the element represented by the question number is the answer
Flerovium is 114.

swp, who had to go back and change 2 of them after figuring out the pattern at the end

Dan Blum

Feb 21, 2014, 10:33:10 AM2/21/14
Mark Brader <m...@vex.net> wrote:

> 1. In "Murder on the Orient Express", Natalia Dragomiroff's handkerchief
> is wrongly believed to have what on it?

> 5. Name the computer programming language, invented by Ken Thompson,
> that introduced the world to notations like

> while (*++p == *++q) putchar(*p);

> Dennis Ritchie extended it to form another language that became
> very widely used after UNIX was reimplemented in it, but you must
> name the earlier language invented by Thompson.

> 6. This novel by Tom McCarthy was shortlisted for the Booker
> Prize. One reviewer described it as "a rigorous inquiry
> into the meaning of meaning: our need to find it in the world
> around us and communicate it to one another; our methods for
> doing so; the hubs and networks and skeins of interaction that
> result"; plot elements include deafness and military radios.
> Give the title.

> 7. Ren? Blondlot's supposed discovery of these rays apparently
> started as a self-delusion and his assistant may have helped
> cover up the error. Robert W. Wood exposed the nonexistence
> of the rays by visiting Blondlot's lab and secretly moving
> things around. Blondlot called them *what* rays?

> 8. The story of what character, credited to the pseudonym
> "Pauline R?age" and filmed in 1975 starring Corinne Cl?ry,
> revolves around sex and sadomasochism?

> 9. A violin's body contains "sound holes" connecting the air
> inside and outside of it. They are also known as what holes?

> 15. What frequently used to start by moving to K4, before it
> was e4?

> 16. What was US President Truman's middle name?

> 19. In baseball, what is the traditional abbreviation for
> a strikeout?

> 23. Hugo Weaving played what title character in a movie adapted
> from a graphic novel?

> 39. Which chromosome is the only one in human cells that is
> normally smaller than the one it pairs with?

> 53. What is the exact English translation of the Latin word
> "ego"?

> 74. Name the movie where Josh Brolin played the then current
> US president.

> 92. What Burmese word with a meaning similar to "Mr." became
> known to more English-speakers when the UN named a new
> secretary-general in 1961?

> 114. Explain the numbering of the questions, including this one.

The others have the number of the element that has the answer as
a symbol; this one is the lowest number corresponding to an element
not yet produced.

Dan Blum to...@panix.com

Marc Dashevsky

Feb 21, 2014, 11:01:41 AM2/21/14
In article <ncudnRbSFMB2iZrO...@vex.net>, m...@vex.net says...

> [...]

> 9. A violin's body contains "sound holes" connecting the air
> inside and outside of it. They are also known as what holes?

> 15. What frequently used to start by moving to K4, before it
> was e4?

> 16. What was US President Truman's middle name?

> 19. In baseball, what is the traditional abbreviation for
> a strikeout?

> 23. Hugo Weaving played what title character in a movie adapted
> from a graphic novel?

> 39. Which chromosome is the only one in human cells that is
> normally smaller than the one it pairs with?

> 53. What is the exact English translation of the Latin word
> "ego"?

> 74. Name the movie where Josh Brolin played the then current
> US president.

> 92. What Burmese word with a meaning similar to "Mr." became
> known to more English-speakers when the UN named a new
U (I had not known this was its meaning.)

> 114. Explain the numbering of the questions, including this one.
Each number is the atomic number of the element whose symbol is the
answer to the question. I cannot explain the numbering of this question.
I'm going back to get the rest of the answers.

I had a lot of fun with this quiz, Mark.

swp

Feb 21, 2014, 1:54:35 PM2/21/14
oh, and the other thing is that this was an attempt by Mark to make me use
capital letters. Not as transparent as the polish/Polish set, but still nicely
done.

swp

Mark Brader

Feb 21, 2014, 5:49:51 PM2/21/14
Stephen Perry:
> oh, and the other thing is that this was an attempt by Mark to make me use
> capital letters.

That was just a side benefit. What I had in mind was answers like
"V for Vendetta" on question 23.

> Not as transparent as the polish/Polish set, but...

Yes, well, I didn't get to *use* that one on you, thanks to my own
stupidity when posting it.
--
Mark Brader | "I had never thought of Jesus as being
m...@vex.net | a variety of grape plant, but

Peter Smyth

Feb 21, 2014, 5:51:00 PM2/21/14
Mark Brader wrote:

> 1. In "Murder on the Orient Express", Natalia Dragomiroff's
> handkerchief is wrongly believed to have what on it?
>
> 5. Name the computer programming language, invented by Ken Thompson,
> that introduced the world to notations like
>
> while (*++p == *++q) putchar(*p);
>
> Dennis Ritchie extended it to form another language that became
> very widely used after UNIX was reimplemented in it, but you must
> name the earlier language invented by Thompson.
> 6. This novel by Tom McCarthy was shortlisted for the Booker
> Prize. One reviewer described it as "a rigorous inquiry
> into the meaning of meaning: our need to find it in the world
> around us and communicate it to one another; our methods for
> doing so; the hubs and networks and skeins of interaction that
> result"; plot elements include deafness and military radios.
> Give the title.
>
> 7. René Blondlot's supposed discovery of these rays apparently
> started as a self-delusion and his assistant may have helped
> cover up the error. Robert W. Wood exposed the nonexistence
> of the rays by visiting Blondlot's lab and secretly moving
> things around. Blondlot called them what rays?
> 8. The story of what character, credited to the pseudonym
> "Pauline Réage" and filmed in 1975 starring Corinne Cléry,
> revolves around sex and sadomasochism?
>
> 9. A violin's body contains "sound holes" connecting the air
> inside and outside of it. They are also known as what holes?
>
> 15. What frequently used to start by moving to K4, before it
> was e4?
> 16. What was US President Truman's middle name?
> 19. In baseball, what is the traditional abbreviation for
> a strikeout?
> 23. Hugo Weaving played what title character in a movie adapted
> from a graphic novel?
>
> 39. Which chromosome is the only one in human cells that is
> normally smaller than the one it pairs with?
> 53. What is the exact English translation of the Latin word
> "ego"?
> 74. Name the movie where Josh Brolin played the then current
> US president.
>
> 92. What Burmese word with a meaning similar to "Mr." became
> known to more English-speakers when the UN named a new
> secretary-general in 1961?
> 114. Explain the numbering of the questions, including this one.

Peter Smyth

robpparker SPAM @foroptusnet.com.aume Rob Parker

Feb 22, 2014, 12:49:13 AM2/22/14
> 1. In "Murder on the Orient Express", Natalia Dragomiroff's handkerchief
> is wrongly believed to have what on it?

> 5. Name the computer programming language, invented by Ken Thompson,
> that introduced the world to notations like
>
> while (*++p == *++q) putchar(*p);
>
> Dennis Ritchie extended it to form another language that became
> very widely used after UNIX was reimplemented in it, but you must
> name the earlier language invented by Thompson.

> 6. This novel by Tom McCarthy was shortlisted for the Booker
> Prize. One reviewer described it as "a rigorous inquiry
> into the meaning of meaning: our need to find it in the world
> around us and communicate it to one another; our methods for
> doing so; the hubs and networks and skeins of interaction that
> result"; plot elements include deafness and military radios.
> Give the title.

> 7. René Blondlot's supposed discovery of these rays apparently
> started as a self-delusion and his assistant may have helped
> cover up the error. Robert W. Wood exposed the nonexistence
> of the rays by visiting Blondlot's lab and secretly moving
> things around. Blondlot called them *what* rays?

> 8. The story of what character, credited to the pseudonym
> "Pauline Réage" and filmed in 1975 starring Corinne Cléry,
> revolves around sex and sadomasochism?

> 9. A violin's body contains "sound holes" connecting the air
> inside and outside of it. They are also known as what holes?

> 15. What frequently used to start by moving to K4, before it
> was e4?

> 16. What was US President Truman's middle name?

> 19. In baseball, what is the traditional abbreviation for
> a strikeout?

> 23. Hugo Weaving played what title character in a movie adapted
> from a graphic novel?

Oops, I've forgotten that bit of the periodic table :-(

> 39. Which chromosome is the only one in human cells that is
> normally smaller than the one it pairs with?

> 53. What is the exact English translation of the Latin word
> "ego"?

> 74. Name the movie where Josh Brolin played the then current
> US president.

... and that bit

> 92. What Burmese word with a meaning similar to "Mr." became
> known to more English-speakers when the UN named a new
> secretary-general in 1961?

> 114. Explain the numbering of the questions, including this one.

Answers are the symbol for the element whose atomic number is the question
number.

Rob

Jeffrey Turner

Feb 23, 2014, 11:00:53 PM2/23/14
On 2/21/2014 3:57 AM, Mark Brader wrote:
> [...]

> 15. What frequently used to start by moving to K4, before it
> was e4?

> 16. What was US President Truman's middle name?

> 19. In baseball, what is the traditional abbreviation for
> a strikeout?

> 23. Hugo Weaving played what title character in a movie adapted
> from a graphic novel?

> 39. Which chromosome is the only one in human cells that is
> normally smaller than the one it pairs with?

> 53. What is the exact English translation of the Latin word
> "ego"?

> 74. Name the movie where Josh Brolin played the then current
> US president.

> 92. What Burmese word with a meaning similar to "Mr." became
> known to more English-speakers when the UN named a new
> secretary-general in 1961?

> 114. Explain the numbering of the questions, including this one.

They seem to correspond to the atomic numbers of the single letter
symbol elements.

--Jeff

Pete

Feb 25, 2014, 11:29:13 AM2/25/14
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in

> [...]

> 15. What frequently used to start by moving to K4, before it
> was e4?
>
> 16. What was US President Truman's middle name?

> 19. In baseball, what is the traditional abbreviation for
> a strikeout?

> 23. Hugo Weaving played what title character in a movie adapted
> from a graphic novel?
>
> 39. Which chromosome is the only one in human cells that is
> normally smaller than the one it pairs with?

> 53. What is the exact English translation of the Latin word
> "ego"?

> 74. Name the movie where Josh Brolin played the then current
> US president.
>
> 92. What Burmese word with a meaning similar to "Mr." became
> known to more English-speakers when the UN named a new
> secretary-general in 1961?

> 114. Explain the numbering of the questions, including this one.

Number of the element corresponding to the answer.

Pete

Mark Brader

Feb 27, 2014, 12:17:49 AM2/27/14
Mark Brader:
> This is Rotating Quiz #133. Entries must be posted by Wednesday,
> February 26, 2014 (by Toronto time, zone -5); that gives you
> 5 days and about 20 hours from the moment of posting.

Time's up.

> In case of a tie, the first tiebreaker is whether answers are given
> in the correct manner; the second tiebreaker is who got their points on
> the hardest questions; and the third tiebreaker is who posted first.

Given the gimmick of this particular contest, I should have predicted
that it would come down to the third tiebreaker and tried to devise a
way to avoid that. And eventually I realized *what* I should have done
-- I should have posted the whole thing in rot13 with an instruction
to decode the questions one by one, in each case "only after you are
done with the previous question" -- i.e. no going back.

Oh well, too late now. But, hey, I did invent and write the whole
thing in the space of 3.5 hours, which is I think is pretty good
considering the list of answers that the format required me to use.

Anyway, enough about me. 6 entrants got all the questions except the
last one, nobody got the last one, and so the winner is the first of
the 6 person to post his answers -- DAN TILQUE. Congratulations!
And may your RQ 134 be better designed.

Here are the answers.

> 1. In "Murder on the Orient Express", Natalia Dragomiroff's handkerchief
> is wrongly believed to have what on it?

H. (She writes her name in the Cyrillic alphabet.) 1 for Dan Tilque,
Erland, Stephen, Dan Blum, Marc, Rob, and Jeff.

> 5. Name the computer programming language, invented by Ken Thompson,
> that introduced the world to notations like

> while (*++p == *++q) putchar(*p);

> Dennis Ritchie extended it to form another language that became
> very widely used after UNIX was reimplemented in it, but you must
> name the earlier language invented by Thompson.

B. (The later language is C, of course.) 1 for Dan Tilque, Erland,
Stephen, Dan Blum, Marc, Rob, and Jeff.

> 6. This novel by Tom McCarthy was shortlisted for the Booker
> Prize. One reviewer described it as "a rigorous inquiry
> into the meaning of meaning: our need to find it in the world
> around us and communicate it to one another; our methods for
> doing so; the hubs and networks and skeins of interaction that
> result"; plot elements include deafness and military radios.
> Give the title.

C. 1 for Dan Tilque, Erland, Stephen, Dan Blum, Marc, Rob, and Jeff.

> 7. René Blondlot's supposed discovery of these rays apparently
> started as a self-delusion and his assistant may have helped
> cover up the error. Robert W. Wood exposed the nonexistence
> of the rays by visiting Blondlot's lab and secretly moving
> things around. Blondlot called them *what* rays?

N. (After the city of Nancy.) 1 for Dan Tilque, Erland, Stephen,
Dan Blum, Marc, Rob, and Jeff.

> 8. The story of what character, credited to the pseudonym
> "Pauline Réage" and filmed in 1975 starring Corinne Cléry,
> revolves around sex and sadomasochism?

O. 1 for Dan Tilque, Erland, Stephen, Dan Blum, Marc, Rob, and Jeff.

> 9. A violin's body contains "sound holes" connecting the air
> inside and outside of it. They are also known as what holes?

F. (From the resemblance of their shape to a lower-case F in
italics.) 1 for Dan Tilque, Erland, Stephen, Dan Blum, Marc, Rob,
Jeff, and Pete.

> 15. What frequently used to start by moving to K4, before it
> was e4?

P. (A pawn, in descriptive chess notation.) 1 for Dan Tilque,
Erland, Stephen, Dan Blum, Marc, Peter, Rob, and Jeff.

> 16. What was US President Truman's middle name?

S. (His family couldn't agree on whether it should be Shipp or
Solomon.) 1 for everyone -- Dan Tilque, Erland, Stephen, Dan Blum,
Marc, Peter, Rob, Jeff, and Pete.

> 19. In baseball, what is the traditional abbreviation for
> a strikeout?

K. (S was taken, for a single.) 1 for everyone.

> 23. Hugo Weaving played what title character in a movie adapted
> from a graphic novel?

V. (In "V for Vendetta".) 1 for Dan Tilque, Erland, Stephen,
Dan Blum, Marc, and Jeff.

> 39. Which chromosome is the only one in human cells that is
> normally smaller than the one it pairs with?

Y. (It pairs with X.) 1 for everyone.

> 53. What is the exact English translation of the Latin word
> "ego"?

I. (The pronoun.) 1 for everyone.

> 74. Name the movie where Josh Brolin played the then current
> US president.

W. (2008, as George W. Bush.) 1 for Dan Tilque, Erland, Stephen,
Dan Blum, Marc, and Jeff.

> 92. What Burmese word with a meaning similar to "Mr." became
> known to more English-speakers when the UN named a new
> secretary-general in 1961?

U. (He used only a single name and was generally known as U Thant,
like Mr. Spock on the original "Star Trek".) 1 for everyone.

> 114. Explain the numbering of the questions, including this one.

Each of the other questions has a 1-letter answer which is also
the symbol of a chemical element, and the question number is that
element's atomic number. (Hydrogen, boron, carbon, nitrogen, oxygen,
fluorine, phosphorus, sulfur, potassium, vanadium, yttrium, iodine,
tungsten, and uranium.)

Dan Tilque, Erland, Stephen, Dan Blum, Marc, Rob, Jeff, and Pete
got this much, although not everyone mentioned that the list was
exactly the list of 1-letter symbols.

But 114 is simply *how many elements exist* and have official names
-- which means that the confirmation of their discovery, or creation
by nucleosynthesis, has been accepted by the IUPAC. (That's every
atomic number up to 112 = copernicium, then 114 = flerovium and
116 = livermorium.) And nobody got that.

And here's the table of scores, if there are no errors. Entrants
with equal scores are listed in tiebreaker order, which in every
case was the third tiebreaker.

1 5 6 7 8 9 15 16 19 23 39 53 74 92 114 TOTALS

Dan Tilque 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 0 14
Erland Sommarskog 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 0 14
Stephen Perry 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 0 14
Dan Blum 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 0 14
Marc Dashevsky 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 0 14
Jeff Turner 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 0 14
Rob Parker 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 0 1 1 0 1 0 12
Pete Gayde 0 0 0 0 0 1 0 1 1 0 1 1 0 1 0 6
Peter Smyth 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 1 1 0 1 1 0 1 0 6

7 7 7 7 7 8 8 9 9 6 9 9 6 9 0

Thank you all for playing.
--
Mark Brader "[It] was the kind of town where they spell
Toronto trouble TRUBIL, and if you try to correct them,

Erland Sommarskog

Feb 27, 2014, 3:13:45 AM2/27/14
Mark Brader (m...@vex.net) writes:
> Anyway, enough about me. 6 entrants got all the questions except the
> last one, nobody got the last one, and so the winner is the first of
> the 6 person to post his answers -- DAN TILQUE. Congratulations!
> And may your RQ 134 be better designed.

How posted his answer about 20 minutes before I posted mine.

And the quiz before, I lost against Mark because I modfied my answer for
the tie breaker, to get an overall better (but still incorrect) answer
for the last main question of that quiz.

Oh well.

Dan Tilque

Feb 27, 2014, 5:22:19 AM2/27/14
Mark Brader wrote:

> Anyway, enough about me. 6 entrants got all the questions except the
> last one, nobody got the last one, and so the winner is the first of
> the 6 person to post his answers -- DAN TILQUE. Congratulations!
> And may your RQ 134 be better designed.

I'm contemplating a few ideas, but none are ready for prime time. So it
may be a day or two before the next RQ is posted.

--
Dan Tilque